Thoughts on Ascended Gear? [Merged threads]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Aaron.4807

Aaron.4807

WvW, it doesn’t matter at all unless the other server somehow has the vast majority of their players kitted out in Ascended gear, and if that was they case, they were probably going to roll over you without it anyways. WvW isn’t at all about one person, or even a dozen people, it’s about the server as a whole. Getting your face stomped on? Go man a treb or an arrow cart. Run supplies. Whatever.

Why does it not suffice when someone says they want the best gear to WvW in? Do you really need to make that decision for anyone else with your reasons?

Usually when you want to get the best of something, you need to put some effort into it. You don’t NEED it for WvW, you WANT it. This whole debate is like a little child stomping their feet because they have to do chores to get some ice cream for dessert.

The serious guilds and servers will grind for this crap. It will be a requirement for any serious WvWer because anyone without full ascended will be playing at roughly the equivalent of a server playing two servers that have control of all three orbs. Do you have any idea what it was like to fight a server that had all three orbs? Here is a hint, the orbs were recently completely removed from WvW.

If you are serious WvW in a serious WvW server than this gear will be a requirement to just stay competitive.

Wrekks/Wrekts

(edited by Aaron.4807)

Posted by: Crater.1625

Crater.1625

What are you competing for?

I dunno. Golf was your crappy analogy, not mine.

If what you’re actually asking for is how it relates to PvE play, then it’s pretty simple: The hardest content in the game will always, always be designed to be at a certain difficulty level relative to the most powerful character in the game. As a result of this, every increase in player stats will be exactly cancelled out by corresponding increases in enemy stats. If you deal 15% more damage with the new equipment than the old equipment, the boss will have 15% more HP than it would have had if new equipment hadn’t been introduced.

So nobody’s moving forward. Nobody’s progressing. What is happening is that every time newer, stronger tier of equipment is released, every player experiences a functional downgrade of all their equipment by one tier. To maintain their character – Just to stand still and not move anywhere - a player has to grind their way back up to the new 100%.

Penalizing all players in this way for the benefit of the mentally subnormal who believe that 18/20 is a larger number than 9/10 is not reasonable.

Posted by: nethykins.7986

nethykins.7986

This is currently a hot topic. As much as they love sitting back with popcorn while most people rage out…it’s not cool.

I can only imagine they are taking time to release a statement on the event and it’s issues. No doubt it will make only a passing comment on how badly the servers were in relation to optimisation for events such as this. They will also reaffirm that they did and awesome job non-the-less, maintaining and conducting a colossal event.

(Basically, standard PR babble. “GW2’s success and interest in the event had sparked a huge wave of players that wanted to take part, thus our systems were slightly pushed for performance”)

(edited by nethykins.7986)

Posted by: Death Reincarnated.3570

Death Reincarnated.3570

Ok, I’ve re-read this – https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/linsey-murdock-unveils-new-high-end-ascended-gear/

Now regarding ‘Agony’, ‘Fractals Dungeon’ and ‘Ascended gear’. It all ties up with ‘end game content’ as quoted from the above link:

“As we release more new end game content in the future, you’ll see more Infusions and Ascended item types being added to the game. Eventually, you’ll be able to kit yourself out with a full set of Ascended gear and high end Infusions to help give you the edge in end game content.

So what is this ‘end game content’?

If it is for the purposes of PvE ONLY then really it is all just extra content thrown in to keep things interesting.

I would actually wait and see what kind of stats are produced by the ascended gear. From what I understand, legendary weapons are just cosmetics, however, Exotic weapons currently offer the highest stats. Now with the introduction of Ascended, this would topple over Exotic stats. (http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Item)

People were dissapointed that Legendaries had stats similar to Exotics, so ANet introduced more game content with new gear level. Sounds like they are giving people what they want and yet many are still not satisfied.

Proud member of Legion of Honour XIII

Do not click this link!

Posted by: Navzar.2938

Navzar.2938

They can only be upgraded via infusion, which only gives you Agony resistance, meaning no runes and sigils.

Incorrect, infusions will grant stat bonuses in addition to agony resistance. Considering there are defensive, offensive, and omni infusions; it’s not out of the question that they may offer bonuses similar to runes and sigils.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Infusions-affect-normal-stats/first

Along with this, ascended equipment already have the upgraded stats build into the item. So the moment you get it, it’s already stronger than your upgraded exotic. Then come the infusions, which may or may not increase stats.

Posted by: Columba.9730

Columba.9730

And why do you think they introduced this? Because before the forums explode because wasn’t enough stuff to do in PvE.
You don’t want that gear, then don’t go for it, its not like you need it. I understand your frustration, but its players that made Anet take this decision, if people didn’t want this Anet would not introduce it to the game.

I don’t remember any forum explosion. A minority of ex-wow grinders complained. the rest enjoyed the game as it is. I certainly never remember a 200+ page thread on no end game, lol.

only thieves know how to play, they chant “L2P” every time their god mode is challenged.

Posted by: Mackdose.6504

Mackdose.6504

What are you competing for?

I dunno. Golf was your crappy analogy, not mine.

If what you’re actually asking for is how it relates to PvE play, then it’s pretty simple: The hardest content in the game will always, always be designed to be at a certain difficulty level relative to the most powerful character in the game. As a result of this, every increase in player stats will be exactly cancelled out by corresponding increases in enemy stats. If you deal 15% more damage with the new equipment than the old equipment, the boss will have 15% more HP than it would have had if new equipment hadn’t been introduced.

So nobody’s moving forward. Nobody’s progressing. What is happening is that every time newer, stronger tier of equipment is released, every player experiences a functional downgrade of all their equipment by one tier. To maintain their character – Just to stand still and not move anywhere - a player has to grind their way back up to the new 100%.

Penalizing all players in this way for the benefit of the mentally subnormal who believe that 18/20 is a larger number than 9/10 is not reasonable.

I fail to see what that has to do with anyone feeling like they must “compete” with people who have more time to play games, or else “fall behind.”

Fall behind them in what? Answer that.

“I didn’t buy into GW2 being the second coming of christ.
I just wanted a AAA MMO with no sub made by ArenaNet. And it’s awesome.”

Columba.9730

Ok here is a POV.

Why are people so overly concerned with the introduction of this new gear tier?

If you dont wan’t to do it (obtain, gather etc.) then don’t, simple. Or is it because you know you will do it but could not be bothered with another task?

If the latter is the case then why bother with it?

See, its a loop.

There are lots of tasks/goals/achievements to do in this game. All of which require “grinding” to complete. This new ‘Ascended’ gear tier is no different.

The point is, people are drawn towards completing stuff but hate to put in the effort – well tough luck my friend(s). The higher the reward the more effort needs to be put in.

I don’t see anything wrong with the introduction of the Ascended gear. Its not demoralising, however, what it does is add more content and cater for those who want to use it.

:)

Lol. to compete in wvwvw this gear is a must. don’t try to pretend otherwise.

only thieves know how to play, they chant “L2P” every time their god mode is challenged.

Columba.9730

Most complaints stem from Ascended equipment being the strongest, which isnt true.

They can only be upgraded via infusion, which only gives you Agony resistance, meaning no runes and sigils.

The main problem would be if they made it mandatory for future content, but for

now it is mostly fine, other then being needed for really high Fotm difficulties.

Now try some math. Without infusion, the gear is at least 20% better than exotics. Infusions also give stat increases. pretty simple math.

Posted by: MyriadStars.5679

MyriadStars.5679

I posted the same idea days ago. The regular servers have patches that give new content without ascended gears, while the ascended servers have ascended gear coming with the new content.

Aaron.4807

Ok here is a POV.

If you dont wan’t to do it (obtain, gather etc.) then don’t, simple. Or is it because you know you will do it but could not be bothered with another task?

See, its a loop.

There are lots of tasks/goals/achievements to do in this game. All of which require “grinding” to complete. This new ‘Ascended’ gear tier is no different.

The point is, people are drawn towards completing stuff but hate to put in the effort – well tough luck my friend(s). The higher the reward the more effort needs to be put in.

I don’t see anything wrong with the introduction of the Ascended gear. Its not demoralising, however, what it does is add more content and cater for those who want to use it.

Lol. to compete in wvwvw this gear is a must. don’t try to pretend otherwise.

Seriously, I hate this.

People saying that WvW is a zerg fest and based on zergs? It is if your server is bad at WvW. Serious WvW relies on balance just as much as sPvP and much, much more than PvE. To state otherwise is pure ignorance.

Serious WvW guilds and servers will grind for this utter crap. And if you don’t you will certainly be left behind. Yeah, you can go about being underpowered but as someone pointed out, the difference will be roughly equivalent to being always down the three orbs. And we all know how that worked out for WvW…

Wrekks/Wrekts

Posted by: Rhotsbin.8579

Rhotsbin.8579

214 pages. How long until they realize this is a SWG level blunder!?

Ascending gear. Descending game.

Posted by: Aradian.9086

Aradian.9086

Let’s keep the fire burning.
It reminds me of my UO days hen they split the servers between “safe ones”
And the servers with PK
Anyway, yes please.

Posted by: Cancrizans.8527

Cancrizans.8527

To be brief, I think it is an awful idea. It is just another type of resist mechanic, and I have never in my 12 years of playing MMOs met a player who enjoys farming resist gear. With all the good ideas ANet has come up with for this game, I’m disappointed to see something so boring and traditional.

Posted by: Derk.3189

Derk.3189

Posted by: Lox.1089

Lox.1089

Guys, come on. Really?

Why is this such a big deal, what exactly changed that the game is significantly worse this week than last? Better dungeon drops, better champion drops, better chest loot, more content, DA KARKA, and you guys want a “legacy” server?

NO ONE is forcing you to play a so called “numbers game.” You choose your play-style, not Anet, not “elitists,” but you.

I’d go to that server in a heartbeat. What the matter afraid that you’d end up on a low pop server with nobody to show off the flashy gear to?

I really don’t want to become a second class citizen for the sake of stroking someone else’s ego, with this Ascended gear crud. I am NOT going to do dungeons, Its not something I enjoy and came to GW2 to escape. I’m not going to start playing differently now, I’d just move on.

I’m already searching the market for a new MMO till this whole ascended gear thing gets sorted out, and if it never does get sorted out… well I guess I wont have reason to return.

Hopefully Arenanet looks at my account, sees the gems I’ve bought, and realizes that unlike the mass zerg freebie-grabbing dungeon-running kiddies sucking up space, I was actually paying my way. And that $$ is heading out the door for now.

(edited by Lox.1089)

Posted by: Merthax.5172

Merthax.5172

Sign me up!

Guild Wars 2: Legacy

Posted by: lazymustard.6491

lazymustard.6491

I’d seriously be surprised if this happens. I just don’t see it, especially on a game this new. There might be some changes to the way Ascended works, something of a compromise at BEST, but I’d be willing to bet that’s the most you can hope for.

Crater.1625

I fail to see what that has to do with anyone feeling like they must “compete” with people who have more time to play games, or else “fall behind.”

Fall behind them in what? Answer that.

A player who statistically has lower offensive stats will deal less damage, and require more time, to kill every enemy, when compared to a player of equal skill playing in the same way, if the second player has offensive stats that are statistically higher. (This extends to the case where the “first” player and the “second” player are the same player, in the same situation, with only stats as a difference).

Replace that with defensive stats, and the better-equipped player will objectively survive longer, die less, etc, than the one with inferior equipment.

For neither of these conditions to be true, the player must be fighting an enemy who takes the exact same number of hits to kill, and who can never outdamage the player’s healing ability, regardless of which set of equipment is being used. And even in this unrealistic, needlessly optimistic edge case, the result is that both characters have literally the exact same experience – in which case, why bother having separate tiers of equipment at all?

Posted by: Logun.2349

Logun.2349

Ok here is a POV.

See, its a loop.

Death Reincarnated.3570, I respect your opinion and I’m less concerned about the new tier of gear then I am about obsolete open world content, loss of player options and mechanics that have been damaged by this patch.

Before this patch players had multiple paths to the highest level gear in the game. You could just play your game and whatever content that floated your boat. By just collecting Karma and or collecting crafting mats I could get into Exotic gear.

Arena Net basically made a game that valued all forms of play and didn’t favour one over the other.

Today that’s been lost and that’s turned me off of the game. Arena Net now has removed my endgame options and is forcing me into a dungeon when I really want to be in the open world. For me I found the open world to be the most fun, and I enjoyed crafting as I do in most MMO’s on the 16th of November I lost both of my paths to the best rewards in the game. So as a result I’ve chose to set this game down until Arena Net can return the endgame freedom that was promised and they delivered on up to Nov.16th.

But this fully outlined the things I believe they broke with this patch.
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/The-New-GW2-Flavor-Rocks/first

Posted by: LithePanther.5027

LithePanther.5027

Ahh, I feel like i’m back in the WoW forums.

Congratulations! GW2 players have achieved a level of whine I did not think was possible, nearly surpassing WoW Whine.

Do you want a shiny medal too?

80 Guardian. 80 Warrior. 80 Thief. 80 Engineer. 80 Necromancer. 80 Ranger.

Posted by: fixit.7189

fixit.7189

Ascended gear is lame, hate it. Now I don’t even want to play.

Over 10k replies,13k+ views later, and counting; still no word. That speaks volumes about what they think about us which is…they don’t care. Prove me wrong….?.

W/e, I just heard about a certain highly anticipated new game that is basically Wv3 as it’s focus with MMO elements but on a much grander scale. It’s also F2P. Consider me curious.

(edited by fixit.7189)

Posted by: Hurf.3180

Hurf.3180

ES:O isn’t going to be F2P.

Posted by: Arshay Duskbrow.1306

Arshay Duskbrow.1306

Over 10k replies,13k+ views later, and counting; still no word.

Oh, there’s been word – the same empty words we were already offered, that is: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/I-ll-be-honest-about-the-gear-and-gearchecks/806894

And my response:

As for ascended gear, to reiterate what Chris has said (https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/info/news/A-message-from-our-Studio-Design-Director-Chris-Whiteside), it’s not intended as a treadmill, but rather as a tier of rewards that can help bridge the gap between Exotics (a few hours of effort to acquire a piece) and Legendaries (hundreds of hours of effort to acquire one). They’re currently only available in the Fractals of the Mist Dungeon, but we’re going to be adding new ways to acquire them, both inside of WvW as well as elsewhere in PvE.

That would’ve been plausible if they had simply been cosmetic items and not an entirely new plateau of power to chase after, obsolescing our previous equipment. As it is, there’s no reason to believe you, or Mr. Whiteside. What you’ve done is directly contrary to the loudly and repeatedly stated design goals and philosophy the game was supposedly developed around.

Let Messrs. O’Brian, Flannum, and Johanson come out and explain how this move can be reconciled to their many past pronouncements about lack of grind and aesthetic rewards. Let them come out and offer detailed metrics to reassure us that this statistical power boost was a needed addition to the game. Let them come out and promise us that this addition was a singular anomaly that will never be repeated. Then I might believe your claims.

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: Kraken.7514

Kraken.7514

Im an 100% WvW player, and play some 8 hours a day. Every day.

For me this patch is the end of a dream.

A dream of no grinding and a dream that, at last, one main-stream mmo would give priority to PVP.

The metaphor would be: The developers of the game have inserted a cancer. The game is ill, and it will die slowly as the treadmill advances in its implementation. Some of us may quit before the pain starts. Others will hold a bit more and will watch in first person how another fantastic mmo advances to its inevitable death.

Personally I give the game some 2 weeks to react. After this “credit time” I predict WvW players will start quitting massively. It will be no return point for some of us, and imho for this great game.

Kraken – Guardian / Pretty Meris – Engineer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=LGQJUaYDQD8

Posted by: fixit.7189

fixit.7189

Oh, there’s been word – the same empty words we were already offered,

Which really does not say anything about this topic other than confirming my fears. Suffice to say, they did it in THAT thread instead of here which further proves that this thread is nothing more than a glorified trash can. I expect it will either be locked or better yet it will encounter a magical forum bug and will disappear entirely.

Posted by: Hurf.3180

Hurf.3180

ES:O isn’t going to be F2P.

Nope, not that game. Try again.

Hint: being released soon, currently in open beta.

PS2 isn’t going to have a huge amount of overlap with GW2, they’re rather different games even if WvWvW does bear some resemblance to PS2’s continents.

Aaron.4807

Ahh, I feel like i’m back in the WoW forums.

Congratulations! GW2 players have achieved a level of whine I did not think was possible, nearly surpassing WoW Whine.

Do you want a shiny medal too?

Yup, this is truly epic. This is why the devs don’t respond, because you people are a joke. I sincerely hope you leave, because 1.) you don’t deserve to play in a game of this calibur, and 2.) I don’t deserve to put up with you.

Please, for the love of God, if you don’t like the changes, leave. Just leave. Leave by the thousands, because there will still be thousands left.

What I want all new players on this board to understand is the whining you read here is not indicative of what people who actually play the game feel. You won’t hear the same whining in game, you won’t see it on guildwars2forum.com, you won’t see it on the guildwars2 subreddit. Know why? Because those people actually play. The people here all run with the mob mentallity, which is to jump on the bandwagon with whatever hate post they see.

This definitely goes beyond the WoW drama. People really want to regurgitate their miserable lives onto everything they touch, and leave hate and misery in their wake. It won’t happen here. No matter how hard you filthpots try, you won’t destroy this game with your hate rhetoric.

I used to play, I used to do all you described and wonder why the forums were full of people whinging about nothing to do and demanded “progression”. And I laughed because I knew Anet would never do anything so dumb. The easy way out. Something they considered to be insulting to their customers. Their own word, that.

Then they twisted the knife right in. I blindly followed and praised them any time I could and got people that I know IRL that never played an MMO to buy and play an MMO because I knew Anet would make this MMO different.

What a crock.

The level of cognitive dissonance going on right now is staggering.

Don’t worry everyone. GW2 is basically now just WAR and just look at how well that game is doing!

Wrekks/Wrekts

Posted by: paelen.3821

paelen.3821

There is no other choice. Live it and love it. You can apply the raising vertical progression with just about everything we do. Its really human nature.

Posted by: Ostra.3927

Ostra.3927

Yup, this is truly epic. This is why the devs don’t respond, because you people are a joke. I sincerely hope you leave, because 1.) you don’t deserve to play in a game of this calibur, and 2.) I don’t deserve to put up with you.

Please, for the love of God, if you don’t like the changes, leave. Just leave. Leave by the thousands, because there will still be thousands left.

What I want all new players on this board to understand is the whining you read here is not indicative of what people who actually play the game feel. You won’t hear the same whining in game, you won’t see it on guildwars2forum.com, you won’t see it on the guildwars2 subreddit. Know why? Because those people actually play. The people here all run with the mob mentallity, which is to jump on the bandwagon with whatever hate post they see.

This definitely goes beyond the WoW drama. People really want to regurgitate their miserable lives onto everything they touch, and leave hate and misery in their wake. It won’t happen here. No matter how hard you filthpots try, you won’t destroy this game with your hate rhetoric.

You know it is funny. Check the post history of most of the users that are the most upset. What is the most common theme?

Yeah its that they supported Anet when they said they wanted to be a different kind of company. You whined and moaned and held your breath for gear progression… and you got it. So we learned… now WE are going to whine and moan and hold our breath to try and FIX this mess before it kills the game completely.

I am going to be un popular but here is the truth. If you EVER posted on this board that you felt a raise in stats for “progression” sake is needed… you are a troll sent by other game companies (Blizzard was actually found out to do this) to sabotage the game and you are ONLY mad now because we are using your same tactics against you.
So next time you call us angry types whiners… remember this.

How did that commercial go?

“I learned it from watching you!”

Please get your priorities straight Anet.
Stat increase = gear grind.
Gear grind = no money from me ever again.

Aaron.4807

Welp. I am done now. I am not playing, deleted the game and coming here to argue with people who don’t even know the basic facts of what Anet has done is just…

Well, more of a waste of time than a game with a gear treadmill is.

So, the locusts get to ruin yet another game with tons of promise and I get to put yet another game studio on my own personal black list.

I think at this point the conspiracy thing is just really wishful thinking. I think that we were just flat out wrong about Anet the whole time.

It has been real and it has been fun, but it wasn’t real fun. I have deleted all links that deal with GW2 now so. I won’t be back. Hopefully one day someone will truly make a MMO for the player.

Good luck.

Wrekks/Wrekts

Posted by: Jabronee.9465

Jabronee.9465

“Manifesto servers” have a better ring to it. Just need 3 for WvW, though I’d wager that only 3 would be crazy crowded.

Perfection!!
Could be more than 3 actually. Hell could be all the servers but with Manifesto at the back. Like Underworld Manifesto for example.

C’mon Anet we know you love us

Posted by: Aelelan.1639

Aelelan.1639

I still am kind of baffled this discussion is going on now that the dungeon is out. You can complete up to level 10 in the dungeon without ever seeing Agony or any reason to have Ascended gear. Period. What content is gated? You’ve seen the content. 10 TIMES. Nothing exists for someone who has all exotics vs. someone who has Ascended.

The only legitimate concern I can see here is that it’ll have an adverse (albeit miniscule) effect on WvW, and they’ve already said there will be ways to get it through WvW. How is this even a discussion anymore? We have yet to know whether they will add more tiers (in which case there’s reason to worry since there’s no more time investment gap between Legendaries/Exotics). The only thing they’ve done is keep quiet about whether or not there will be new tiers, likely because of a kittentorm like this one. I’d be paranoid to say anything is out of the question too when I know that there will be a flock of angry forumgoers to man the flame cannons if something goes not according to plan. I’d be extremely surprised to know that there are more tiers beyond Ascended but would be happy to eat my words if there ever is one.

Columba.9730

I still am kind of baffled this discussion is going on now that the dungeon is out. You can complete up to level 10 in the dungeon without ever seeing Agony or any reason to have Ascended gear. Period. What content is gated? You’ve seen the content. 10 TIMES. Nothing exists for someone who has all exotics vs. someone who has Ascended.

The only legitimate concern I can see here is that it’ll have an adverse (albeit miniscule) effect on WvW, and they’ve already said there will be ways to get it through WvW. How is this even a discussion anymore? We have yet to know whether they will add more tiers (in which case there’s reason to worry since there’s no more time investment gap between Legendaries/Exotics). The only thing they’ve done is keep quiet about whether or not there will be new tiers, likely because of a kittentorm like this one. I’d be paranoid to say anything is out of the question too when I know that there will be a flock of angry forumgoers to man the flame cannons if something goes not according to plan. I’d be extremely surprised to know that there are more tiers beyond Ascended but would be happy to eat my words if there ever is one.

Do the math. First, it’s just the beginning. Second the pieces are at least 20% better than exotics. how on earth is that miniscule? LOL

Posted by: TheWarKeeper.5374

TheWarKeeper.5374

They have stated they wont release a new tier every 3 months, u can eat your words now :P

Posted by: Fortuna.7259

Fortuna.7259

Compete for what exactly? I hear a lot of talk about competition, but I was unaware that PvE had a competitive scene.

Even if it did, it’s like me getting mad at the PGA for offering a green jacket because I can’t compete with professional golfers.

Such a terrible analogy. It is like you being mad that, although you are skilled enough to play in the PGA, you can’t because by their tournament rules you have only ‘earned’ the right to use crude wooden sticks and sponge balls when you play. Do mindless repetitive tasks with those long enough, and they will give you an upgrade. But you better not slow down or it’s back to the sponge ball for you!

LF2M Max Ascended Only!

Posted by: slazzy.7309

slazzy.7309

I am going to be un popular but here is the truth. If you EVER posted on this board that you felt a raise in stats for “progression” sake is needed… you are a troll sent by other game companies (Blizzard was actually found out to do this) to sabotage the game and you are ONLY mad now because we are using your same tactics against you.
So next time you call us angry types whiners… remember this.

How did that commercial go?

“I learned it from watching you!”

I posted that I felt progression was needed. I admit it. I had a whole post about it based on my development studies in The Art of Game Design. Absolutely! That proves I work for a game company? Maybe I feel you need progression to keep interest. It is basic design. Maybe Anet decided that was a good route to go.

Progression in an mmo….why, what a novel idea. Let’s give our players something to do at endgame.

Honestly, I’ve heard so much kittening about how there’s nothing to do at endgame for so many games, I never even conceived I would hear how progression might destroy a game.

And if you think Ascended gear is a treadmill, well, I submit that you haven’t even played this game passed week 1. You are a fair-weather gamer. You go where the mob is the loudest. Think for yourself for once, you’ll feel better about yourself.

Posted by: nelopp.6140

nelopp.6140

Make mystic recipe that can upgrade exotic into ascended armor, just require more material.

Posted by: Iarkrad.8415

Iarkrad.8415

This is a great idea.

No more non cosmetic world event rewards. We haven’t forgotten the Ancient Karka.

Posted by: Iarkrad.8415

Iarkrad.8415

Did i just break this thread?

No more non cosmetic world event rewards. We haven’t forgotten the Ancient Karka.

Crater.1625

Did i just break this thread?

When you click on a thread and it takes you to the most recent page, the page-count is based on how many total posts have been made in the thread, including the ones that have been deleted (the pagecount on the Ascended armour megathread is about 20 pages past the actual last page). It happens pretty frequently around the end of a page; just go retype “1” in the URL to see the proper thread again.

Posted by: rikkus.8153

rikkus.8153

Well maybe I am missing something here, but it seems people are complaining that they “have” to obtain these Ascended items to stay competitive but competitive with what? The only reason to have Ascended items would be to do the new Fractals at the higher levels? I understand it might give players an edge in WvW but couldn’t they just balance it out by releasing a PvP Armor set of comparable stats?

Posted by: Orion.7264

Orion.7264

Well maybe I am missing something here, but it seems people are complaining that they “have” to obtain these Ascended items to stay competitive but competitive with what? The only reason to have Ascended items would be to do the new Fractals at the higher levels? I understand it might give players an edge in WvW but couldn’t they just balance it out by releasing a PvP Armor set of comparable stats?

You realize that PvE is a competition? Getting into groups is already segregated between exotics/others, and now you can bet there will be the same with Ascended. At least exotic gear was reasonable to get. New content is also balanced based off of the highest tier of gear, so players in PvE without Ascended gear will struggle through more difficult content (yes, struggle, because the difference in stats between full Ascended gear and full Exotic gear is comparable to the difference between full Exotic and full BLUES) purely because they didn’t grind for months through RNG and massive gold sinks to get their full Ascended sets. Not to mention content that will be artificially gated and locked to players through bullkitten mechanics like Agony.

Arenanet lies.

Posted by: Merthax.5172

Merthax.5172

Yeah that server would have a self life of about 1 – 2 weeks because that would be the amount of time it would require for the elite crowd to become bored again.

Nope!

Remember, people are going to that server because they want to, it wouldn’t be imposed on anyone. Likewise, assuming that server transfers are still permitted, they could always transfer off.

Posted by: Cameo.4073

Cameo.4073

I am new to this system but was attracted to it by the thought of a limited gear grind ( I’m burnt out from other games and was about to cancel those subs and invest in this one instead when the new event hit.)

I do not understand why exotics were not kept equivalent with ascended and legendary gear The ascended gear could have the different look and I guess the infusion mechanic if there was a desire to have something else to balance.

Personally I would have liked gear that had a slot where you could add interesting effects (lightning, fire aura, shadow, blowing leaves, etc).

Watch and wait I guess.

Posted by: Surbrus.6942

Surbrus.6942

It would probably be easier to make some tests servers, where they can implement the radical changes Anet is claiming to be doing. They’d probably be able to get three servers full of people that would like that. Those quarantine servers probably wouldn’t be very present places though, with the type of people that it would attract.

Keep Fractals though, just scrap the gear treadmill part of it. That dungeon is very well made, and a great amount of fun.

Posted by: arcaneclarity.5283

arcaneclarity.5283

I would move to a legacy server. They could just cap the stats of all new items at the current exotic level.

Aelelan.1639

Do the math. First, it’s just the beginning. Second the pieces are at least 20% better than exotics. how on earth is that miniscule? LOL

How is “it’s just the beginning” any sort of argument that there will be more tiers in the future? I can’t tell you there won’t be new tiers in the future, and you can’t tell me there will – hell Anet implies in their silence/refusal to speak definitively on the subject that even they can’t speak for what circumstances might arise and potentially warrant another tier. My personal take is that there isn’t a problem to be solved anymore and therefore there should not be any reason why another tier should be introduced. A tier of gear was a solution to a problem (the discrepancy between Legendaries and Exotics) not a precedent to be followed.

If you fixed a broken chair leg with wood glue and the problem is solved, why would anyone in their right minds continue to put glue on the fixed chair leg? The problem is solved, the chair leg is fixed. You don’t need to keep putting on any more glue. Anet saw that their gear tiering system was broken (or rather unbalanced) so they fixed the problem with a middle ground between the two tiers that had the biggest discrepancy. Why would they keep adding more tiers? There is no more problem for them to fix with any more tiers of gear.

Aelelan.1639

They have stated they wont release a new tier every 3 months, u can eat your words now :P

They have said that they will slowly add the last pieces of Ascended gear into the system (chests, weapons, gloves, boots, etc.) to ease into the new tier rather than release it all at once and have players get overwhelmed, NOT that they are releasing a new tier every three months.

Posted by: axiology.5807

axiology.5807

I’m all for a server without ascended gear. They don’t even have to remove the gear if it’s too much trouble, just put an exotic-level cap across everything.