Thoughts on Ascended Gear? [Merged threads]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Zefiris.8297

Zefiris.8297

If the only thing you get from new sets and new gear in new content updates is a new look, what the hell is the point in doing the new content other than “Oh wow I have all these pretty USELESS sets”?

Fun. Challenge.

You know, the reason you play games. Remember those singleplayer games you bought and finished?

Where was the point in that? It sure didn’t give you stats somewhere, no?

The new gamer generation is so pathetic, always demanding rewards and seeing those as the only important thing. Crack addicts, nothing more. No wonder so many older players are so annoyed about this change.

Posted by: Nephaerius.9103

Nephaerius.9103

I bought this game because I thought I could WvW without having to do PvE grind.

Please don’t suddenly change this game into something else.

You do not need gear to do WvW.

Sure you could do it naked if you wanted to…………. WTK?!?!?!

Posted by: Lord Baalzamon.6507

Lord Baalzamon.6507

If the only thing you get from new sets and new gear in new content updates is a new look, what the hell is the point in doing the new content other than “Oh wow I have all these pretty USELESS sets”?

Well at least my “pretty useless sets” still look good when my “ugly best in slot set” gets an effective downgrade thanks to a new armor tier.

Posted by: bufko.2497

bufko.2497

I find it absolutely hilarious that people are crying over this new tier of items when it adds +2 to stats over Exotics. Yes people that is +2 in stats!

That is far from making Exotics inferior to the new armor tier… +2 in stats x6 armor pieces for a total of +12 is still a far cry from making Exotics no longer viable…

1) You have no idea how the actual armor (as in, damage migitation) value will turn out. See the giant math post above for guesswork.

2) Also, it’s not mainly about the plus 2 to whatever, it’s about the fact that you NEED this complete set of 8 (or more) items plus 8 (or more) infusions to be able to progress in the new dungeon. You can’t use “skill” to move forward. You will need to get that set to do it.

3) As Anet said, it’s “the beginning” of their new item progress system. So only god knows what you will need to farm in order to enter the next dungeon to follow this one.

edit, I have no idea where that underline comes from o.o
edit 2, found the culprit

(edited by bufko.2497)

Posted by: Corvindi.5734

Corvindi.5734

I having this made into a t-shirt:

We don’t need to make mandatory gear treadmills, we make all of it optional, so those who find it fun to chase this prestigious gear can do so, but those who don’t are just as powerful and get to have fun too.” – Colin Johanson… Pants… on… Fire.

I’m wondering if making it a sig would be infraction worthy?, i can’t see any rules against it but considering how things go it’s best to ask.

Your a genius.
Shortened to fit but done.

Feel free to follow along guys.

Done.

Nicely done.

“…we don’t expect you to be forced into dungeons at endgame.”

~ArenaNet

Posted by: Vena.8436

Vena.8436

ArenaNet, my wallet is now closed to you. It is not because of the patch or the gear, but because of your lack of communication with your community over the past day and a half.

I have read hundreds of the posts in this thread and have seen the questions asked. I have also read the Dev tracker and seen the pathetic and redundant stream of corporate speak coming from your community management staff: “We appreciate your input.” and “This post will now be closed.”

You have become like Blizzard.

This is my first experience with your company, and I had much higher hopes than this from you based upon the information you have given out over the past year or more regarding this game. I purchased the game, and I have enjoyed aspects of it. I have despised aspects of it as well. I felt like it was oversold and under delivered. Promises were made and not kept. Polish was lacking in many regards and still is. I will not ask for a refund, but you have lost my trust completely.

When the time comes that you require more money of your players to continue keeping the servers live, count me out.

To be fair, there’s no much to say. If they are going to the office to argue on this, they can’t say anything till a decision is reached. If they won’t change their mind then talking isn’t going to do anything bu fan the flames.

Vena/Var – Guardian/Thief
[Eon] – Blackgate

Posted by: Arconon.4857

Arconon.4857

Seems like it’s LotRO’s radiance gear all over again. It was a bad idea in LotRO and it will be a bad idea in GW2.
It effectively split LotRO’s community into the elitist “radiance players” and the rest.

ANet, look at this thread and you can already catch a glimpse of what will become of this community.

Posted by: Kagoshima Josh.5412

Kagoshima Josh.5412

Throw me in with the disappointed with ArenaNet group.

I don’t think the folks at ANet are dim, so I’m assuming they’d expect a pretty significant push back against a new tier of gear. Yet, they did it anyway. That says to me that they are willing to sacrifice the support of many GW2 fans who love the (up till now) non-treadmill approach to gain an influx of players (fans of the pro gear treadmill approach).

Nobody likes a bait and switch and this definitely feels like one.

Arnold is Numero Uno

Posted by: krookie.6378

krookie.6378

Uh…yes….this change in design philosophy means EXACTLY that. They’re unhappy with the revenue being brought in by their current player base and are attempting to change the game into a more commonly recognized model that was “perfected” and take to epic proportions by Blizzard.

This is a serious risk on Anet’s part as people who enjoy vertical gear progression and are already established in a game are not going to be drawn away to play this one. In doing so, Anet also risks alienating it’s existing player base in the hopes of attracting the above. It is a risky gamble that has yet to work for any MMO to-date.

Agreed. And when this new model fails to bring in sufficient amount of players? Or rather it’ll bring in the WoW fanbois, who will devour the content and go back to raiding pandas in 3 weeks. What happens then? Are they going to be switching the focus of the game every 3-4 months in order to bring new players from other games?

Maybe they should try to attract Call of Duty players next? Turn GW2 into an FPS? Or covert the whole game into DotA in an attempt to grab some of that LoL money?

The game already had a very well established fanbase, some being attracted to this game because of the lack of gear progression. This new change just serves to alienate the fans in a cheap attempt to grab some WoW players.

Posted by: camoflaugz.5031

camoflaugz.5031

Because we enjoy doing the content for the sake of fun!

You don’t need to chase the carrot to enjoy yourself. Doing fun things is fun.

Why should there be more to it than that? This is what Anet has said to believe, and it’s what many of us do as well.

Actually, nothing is fun for me, without a reason for doing something. And Millions of MMO players have proved this to be true already. Anet stick to whats proven numbers don’t lie.

Posted by: Tyr.1965

Tyr.1965

I having this made into a t-shirt:

We don’t need to make mandatory gear treadmills, we make all of it optional, so those who find it fun to chase this prestigious gear can do so, but those who don’t are just as powerful and get to have fun too.” – Colin Johanson… Pants… on… Fire.

I’m wondering if making it a sig would be infraction worthy?, i can’t see any rules against it but considering how things go it’s best to ask.

Your a genius.
Shortened to fit but done.

Feel free to follow along guys.

Done.

Nicely done.

Yep, done here as well.

Posted by: EverythingXen.1835

EverythingXen.1835

If their “manifesto” was profitable enough on its own merits, they would not be implementing this.

Bottom line.

That “manifesto” was never, ever going to work for a game with as much invested in it as GW2. There’s no money in it.

Posted by: Snerf.1650

Snerf.1650

How about you just make Ascended items the same statistically as an upgraded Exotic? Only, with an Infuse slot. Making them basically the same as greens from GW1, but with Infuse for the dungeon mechanics. Problem solved, no harm done.

That’s a great suggestion. This is the compromise that many of us are suggesting.

The problem is that they immediately showed stat upgrades with the line “This is just the beginning…”

Posted by: Loosifah.4738

Loosifah.4738

Fun. Challenge.

You know, the reason you play games. Remember those singleplayer games you bought and finished?

The new gamer generation is so pathetic, always demanding rewards and seeing those as the only important thing. Crack addicts, nothing more. No wonder so many older players are so annoyed about this change.

So now I’m equated to a crack addict because I like the idea of having a new tier of equipment with a major content release? Even though they’ve mentioned their intentions of a “legendary” armor? Go take a nap grandpa.

And by the way I’m one of those “older gamers”; kitten.

Posted by: Malevil.2104

Malevil.2104

As fan of gw1, i feel betrayed … RIP ANet i used to love.

Posted by: Snerf.1650

Snerf.1650

Why should there be more to it than that? This is what Anet has said to believe, and it’s what many of us do as well.

Actually, nothing is fun for me, without a reason for doing something. And Millions of MMO players have proved this to be true already. Anet stick to whats proven numbers don’t lie.

Are you serious? Nothing is fun without being rewarded?

If you aren’t trolling, this is the most depressing thing I’ve read today.

Try just enjoying things! You are playing a game, not working in the coal mine.

Posted by: maaprid.2168

maaprid.2168

“Show me your legendary!”

Posted by: Bellatrix.5402

Bellatrix.5402

Vocal minority. I thought Anet understood what this means.

Now look at this thread. These are the players that were satisfied with the game.

You gave in to the few people on the forums that complained about “not enough to do”. Those people with short attention-spans are long gone.

What you did was alienate those who stayed because they liked the non gear-based game they had.

Who greenlights something like this?

A distributor.

I suspect that ANet wasn’t responding to forum feedback here. I suspect this development is more due to pressure from the Big Bosses, who seem to think there is only one template for a successful MMO.

You see, as someone who played City of Heroes for 8 years, I’ve been here before. The common denominator: NCSoft.

At its heart, I think this is all the result of: 1. culture clash and 2. a dysfunctional corporate methodology (that is plaguing just about every big distributor these days, not just NCSoft).

I suspect that if ANet had been left to its own devices, we wouldn’t be seeing this shift in design trajectory. Unfortunately, a great deal is resting on the success of this title, and NCSoft has recently restructured and ‘streamlined’ its focus.

In light of that, this all makes a certain amount of (depressing) sense.

NCSoft has its own shareholder masters as well, and as of June that includes Nexon Group as the largest holder (the latter of which has no qualms going against a game’s “manifesto” or otherwise gambling a game’s long term success for short term profits, even if the game is already successful). Personally though I’ll reserve judgment until the patch hits. If it is a new tier of gear that requires a significant time investment I think I’ll play something else.

Posted by: Corvindi.5734

Corvindi.5734

Rofl, haters gonna hate.
It depends on how you play. You are seeking for balance in a 300v300 game mode in which both people with lvl2 equip and people with lvl80 equip can play. You’re actually searching for balance in a game mode that is NOT balanced at all.
If you like going roaming in team sized of 2 people, good for you, but it’s not the way WvW is meant to be played, i think. Btw, she has a lvl80 char, but tried to WvW with a lvl2 warrior.

Anyway, I don’t know if you did actually read the message, but I don’t like this change. I wanted the game to be perfectly balanced as it was until now.
But probably your attention got struck by a whining attack..

It’s such a shame Arenanet didn’t do WvW gearing and skills like they did sPvP. If they had, I would be playing GW2 right now instead of stuck on fascination mode with this thread.

“…we don’t expect you to be forced into dungeons at endgame.”

~ArenaNet

Posted by: DraganBlack.7864

DraganBlack.7864

So even though this post is going to be lost between all the other complaints:
2 days ago I was very excited for the lost shore update. Today I am not motivated to play gw2 at all. Today will mark the 4th day (if my count is right) since the release that I will not complete the daily achievements, for the first time it will not be because I don’t have time for it but because I simply don’t want to.
Why? Because of the announcement of ascended armor.
My main reason for loving gw1 & gw2 is that you very quickly reach the maximum level & get the best possible gear and that after that you are on an equal playfield (more so in gw1 than in gw2). That is the reason why I spent over 2000 hours in gw1 (and over 200 hours in gw2) but never played more than 300-400 hours in any other MMO.
Now some people will say it only is a small difference. The problem is that there is a difference at all. (And actually the difference isn’t all that small. If you look at the picture in the article you see that the item attributes increase by 7.94 % between exotic and ascended equipment. Once you can have full ascended armor for every slot it probably will increase your total stats by ~2-3 percent. This might not sound like all that much at first, but it is (just like the 13% item stats increase between rare & exotic items makes a huge difference even though most people will deny it)). And once full ascended gear is out we probably will get the next tier of armor which once again will be “slightly better”, which creates exactly the kind of gear grind I (and most likely many others) hoped to escape from with gw2.
I would love to have a new rarity of items which lies between exotic and legendary in difficulty/time required to get, but has the same stats, continuous stats progression however is a no go for me.

The second problem is agony & infusion. Now agony itself isn’t a problem. A mechanic that makes an endless dungeon continuously harder is a good thing. A mechanic that creates a huge difference between a geared team with infusion and an ungeared team (this is conjecture. I have no proof it will really make a huge difference, however Linsey’s article sure makes it sound like that) however is not. Lotro used to have a similar mechanic (Radiance and Gloom) luckily they did away with it and I don’t get why ANet thinks it is a good thing to introduce such a mechanic.

My biggest problem with this however is the announcement itself. ANet is usually very good as far as interaction with the community goes. There are devs posting in the forums or dropping by in game. However in the past they handled leaks very very badly. It sometimes took them days to give any reaction at all (especially when an early list of cash shop items leaked). In such a situation waiting is the worst thing you can do. You have to be able to react quickly and explain the situation else it will spin out of control and be interpreted in the worst possible way.
We first heard about this on a variety of MMO/gaming-related sites, not because of some kind of leak but because ANet gave them this information to release. They must have known this information would be controversial at best and they still weren’t prepared at all. They could have prepared some statements to calm the players. Instead we heard nothing at all for many hours, only then we got a tweet from Martin Kerstein that told us we should stay calm until we knew the details. This is generally a good tip, especially if the released info would have been misinterpreted, however it wasn’t. Now that the article is released I think it is safe to say: It is exactly what the people that were complaining feared.
Now over one day after the announcement we still have no concrete information why ANet is doing this. They say they do it because of player demand, but I can’t believe that many players wanted this. While there where hundreds of posts asking for more content at endgame on the official forums and on various fansites the posts asking for gear progression where very rare (and usually would be responded to by a dozen other people who say they would hate gear progression) and forums and fansites usually represent the more hardcore part of a games community, I really can’t imagine the more casual players want the changes that are to be introduced with this patch. Aside of this ANet has been extremely quiet about this (which is probably the worst thing they can do, right now they need to discuss this things with their fans and show that they care about player feedback).

tl;dr: More Content:good; Stats Progression: bad; Agony: good; Infusion: bad; ANets handling of the situation: very bad

The Exalted Ones [TEO]
Gunnars Hold

Posted by: jboynton.7894

jboynton.7894

This is a prime example of what has happened to the MMO community. It is no longer about playing the game. It is about the PHAT LOOTZ SON that you get at the end. It really doesn’t matter to these type of people what that content is, as long as they’re properly rewarded for it.

If the content is fun and you’re rewarded with a skin that marks the prestige of what you’ve done; why isn’t that good enough? You can increase the difficulty of content without having to exponentially increase mob HP and Dmg. You can also make the content rewarding without creating vertical gear progression.

Posted by: Haya jii san.1978

Haya jii san.1978

Unfortunately I had to write what was probably the first piece of bad press that GW2 has ever gotten because of this. I did not enjoy it.

http://www.examiner.com/article/guild-wars-2-may-take-it-s-first-critical-mis-step-upcoming-lost-shores-exp

!!

Posted by: GamerGirl.1496

GamerGirl.1496

This sentence is what has me worried about the new gear.

Quote from Linsey’s blog post:
“Eventually, you’ll be able to kit yourself out with a full set of Ascended gear and high end Infusions to help give you the edge in end game content.”

No one was ever supposed to have an “edge”. Ever.

The day I am asked to link my armor/weapon to prove my gear is “worthy” of joining an event/group is the day I will quit GW2.

Posted by: rosswise.7203

rosswise.7203

The problem is that they immediately showed stat upgrades with the line “This is just the beginning…”

I know that, and it is going over about as well as a kitten in a punchbowl. Making Ascended items statistically similar will be the best way to defuse the situation and make most people happy.

Posted by: SoulstitchMMO.1396

SoulstitchMMO.1396

Izzy once said that he would not put diminishing returns into Gw2 because it’s a crutch for bad game design.

So are gear treadmills in dungeons.

If you developed the dungeons properly and made them entertaining, people would go through them for the new skins.

Increasing stats on gear and then putting them in dungeons is bad game design. Just because WoW installed gear progression doesn’t mean Anet needs to.

Did activision by ncsoft or something?

Posted by: Loumy.7841

Loumy.7841

I think OP has a very good point:

“Yes, you just obsoleted all your old dungeon content because it won’t give the highest gear – we’ve all seen how this happened in other MMO’s. Plus you kill your pipeline for new players who cannot possibly catch up eventually to the current gear level and fall further and further behind.”

I agree with this!

Posted by: Mythilas.7325

Mythilas.7325

I don’t feel anywhere near the hatred for this move that some of you are displaying, but I do have some reservations about it.

From today’s post by Murdock:

“By adding challenging new combat mechanics to end-game content and ways to mitigate those mechanics through gear progression for high-end players, we can add personal progression without making the game feel like an endless treadmill of gear that is just out of your reach.”

Doesn’t the above statement seem a little contradictory? Even reading it in context, it doesn’t make sense to me. You create new mechanics that can only be dealt with by “gear progression” and then say that this creates a sense of personal progression without creating a gear treadmill. O_o

Am I missing something?

Posted by: Strang.8170

Strang.8170

The ‘MMO Manifesto’ is looking more like an ’MMO Rough Guideline".

Let’s be clear, a Manifesto is merely a declaration of intentions, motives and perspectives by the author…. not a binding contract that locks them into a set of conditions.

I thought it actualy was a manifesto…

Sadly it seems to have been just an advertiesement…and as usual they don´t seem to deliver everything advertised.

Dr.Strang E – Nameless veterans (NV) – Gandara (EU)
[ ex- Piken Square (EU), ex- Aurora Glade (EU) ]

Posted by: fadeaway.2807

fadeaway.2807

Will this be another mmo which was mis-sold to me?
My credit card will probably accuse me of fraud if I add another mmo refund to the list!

Posted by: Terkov.4138

Terkov.4138

Gear farm? Really? You don’t even know how hard I’d be to get, yet you jump to conclusions… you don’t even know if ANet will add any next tiers, or just this one. Getting full exotics is so kitten easy and fast, I don’t mind spending this time again to get next tier (no, I’m not some hardcore player)

Nephaerius.9103

Will this be another mmo which was mis-sold to me?
My credit card will probably accuse me of fraud if I add another mmo refund to the list!

lol charge back! Do it! Unfortunately we don’t have subs to speak with so this is the only way to go.

Posted by: Crapgame.6519

Crapgame.6519

@EverythingXen.1835

“That “manifesto” was never, ever going to work for a game with as much invested in it as GW2. There’s no money in it.”

There isn’t? The initial ROI (return on investment) is obtained from retail copies (box or digital downloads). Nothing more. Future returns are on expansion sales and gem store purchases. No more, no less.

Without a supporting community there will be no returns and future content or expansions will be null and void. In summary. If no one is playing there is no need for development teams, etc.

Main – Laaz Rocket – Guardian (Ehmry Bay)
Johnny Johnny – Ranger (Ehmry Bay)
Hárvey Wallbanger – Alt Warrior (Ehmry Bay)

Posted by: Zefiris.8297

Zefiris.8297

So now I’m equated to a crack addict because I like the idea of having a new tier of equipment with a major content release?

Yes, you are like one, since you can only have fun when imaginary numbers go up and the game becomes about it. This is because you are so used to the skinner box that you start confusing it with actual fun.

Hence crack: It’s the perfect comparison.

You said it yourself, really. I am simply point out what this says about you.

krookie.6378

I don’t feel anywhere near the hatred for this move that some of you are displaying, but I do have some reservations about it.

“By adding challenging new combat mechanics to end-game content and ways to mitigate those mechanics through gear progression for high-end players, we can add personal progression without making the game feel like an endless treadmill of gear that is just out of your reach.”

Doesn’t the above statement seem a little contradictory? Even reading it in context, it doesn’t make sense to me. You create new mechanics that can only be dealt with by “gear progression” and then say that this creates a sense of personal progression without creating a gear treadmill. O_o

Am I missing something?

It is contradictory. They are adding a gear treadmill to combat the gear treadmill. It’s PR speak.

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

well this is probably a good way of obtaining the guinness world record for longer thread from unsatisfied customers for a game…..

Is it already the longest thread in the Whole forum?

Shouldn t it provr something and MERIT an official reply rather than “CAT you! the server are ours we do as we please!”

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

Posted by: cherrie.8907

cherrie.8907

How about you just make Ascended items the same statistically as an upgraded Exotic? Only, with an Infuse slot. Making them basically the same as greens from GW1, but with Infuse for the dungeon mechanics. Problem solved, no harm done.

That’s a great suggestion. This is the compromise that many of us are suggesting.

I would much prefer they added a single equipment slot in which we would place whatever is supposed to protect us from the Agony and leave the gear as it is entirely.

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
-Mike Obrien
“We don’t need to make mandatory gear treadmills” -Colin Johanson

Posted by: camoflaugz.5031

camoflaugz.5031

Are you serious? Nothing is fun without being rewarded?

If you aren’t trolling, this is the most depressing thing I’ve read today.

Try just enjoying things! You are playing a game, not working in the coal mine.

No I’m not trolling, but I shouldn’t say nothing is fun, that was wrong, I take that back. I would say at end game I need something to keep me going. This is an MMO, thats what MMO players look for at the end. If i didn’t want to do that I would just play a single player console game or something. As of now I don’t really log on that much because I’m waiting for the patch.

Posted by: Loosifah.4738

Loosifah.4738

This is a prime example of what has happened to the MMO community. It is no longer about playing the game. It is about the PHAT LOOTZ SON that you get at the end. It really doesn’t matter to these type of people what that content is, as long as they’re properly rewarded for it.

If the content is fun and you’re rewarded with a skin that marks the prestige of what you’ve done; why isn’t that good enough? You can increase the difficulty of content without having to exponentially increase mob HP and Dmg. You can also make the content rewarding without creating vertical gear progression.

It’s not ALL ABOUT PHAT LOOTZ SON as you would say, I enjoy the game for what it is without a loot progression. But I also enjoy an upgrade in equipment from time to time. Get over yourself ‘son’

Nephaerius.9103

Am I missing something?

It is contradictory. They are adding a gear treadmill to combat the gear treadmill. It’s PR speak.

Agreed. We’re going to increase dungeon and monster difficulty. We’re then going to buff players through better gear. This =‘s challenging content how? Oh yeah it doesn’t because if dungeons/monsters are buffed and then players are then buffed it all evens out. Hence the concept of a gear treadmill.

Separate from gear I really can’t understand why ANet devs think more HP and more damage from a boss actually make something challenging. Dungeon design in this game is epic fail.

Posted by: Swizzle.7982

Swizzle.7982

A lot of that 1% spent a lot of real world money getting those legendaries.

Are you really surprised that anet would want to ‘please’ them by adding in even more expensive kitten for them to buy?

Oh wait, you hadn’t realised that anet are money grubbing liars…

Posted by: Fortuna.7259

Fortuna.7259

Lastly, to anyone who absolutely abhors any sort of expanded, end-game content I say this:
You payed for the game without this new content. You’ve already received what you paid for. This expansion is free for anyone who desires to take part in it and is unlikely to diminish the experience you already paid for. If you don’t like it…don’t play it. Unlike other MMO’s, you’re not paying a monthly sub so there is no loss if you don’t partake.

This is just not true as this is an MMO. First of all, I paid for a game where it was relatively easy to have my stats maxed for WvW. Secondly, I paid for a game where I could get these stats by doing a variety of content. And finally, I paid for a game where others were interested in doing different content. I paid for a game where a level 35 dungeon can be as popular as a level 80 dungeon. Making everyone else busy on a narrow gear treadmill will pretty much render this game dead to me.

LF2M Max Ascended Only!

Posted by: munkiman.3068

munkiman.3068

Fun. Challenge.

So now I’m equated to a crack addict because I like the idea of having a new tier of equipment with a major content release? Even though they’ve mentioned their intentions of a “legendary” armor? Go take a nap grandpa.

And by the way I’m one of those “older gamers”; kitten.

I’m also an older gamer… I however am not tossing my PC out the window or burning copies of guild wars 2. I’ve seen this outrage in a million posts over the course of all sorts of games, including threads 100 pages long about how ANet needs to release info (pre-launch) or people are going to start losing interest. I’m guessing here that the majority of players that are pissed off are the younger crowds. Regardless what age group it is, it’s really a great deal of speculation about armors (so far they’ve only shown accessories) and critique of a manifesto that was presented to show intent. Why not try it before you toss all your cookies on the floor and stomp on em.

[TAO] Founder/Owner and Administrator for the NSP Server Website

Posted by: EverythingXen.1835

EverythingXen.1835

Uh…yes….this change in design philosophy means EXACTLY that. They’re unhappy with the revenue being brought in by their current player base and are attempting to change the game into a more commonly recognized model that was “perfected” and take to epic proportions by Blizzard.

This is a serious risk on Anet’s part as people who enjoy vertical gear progression and are already established in a game are not going to be drawn away to play this one. In doing so, Anet also risks alienating it’s existing player base in the hopes of attracting the above. It is a risky gamble that has yet to work for any MMO to-date.

Agreed. And when this new model fails to bring in sufficient amount of players? Or rather it’ll bring in the WoW fanbois, who will devour the content and go back to raiding pandas in 3 weeks. What happens then? Are they going to be switching the focus of the game every 3-4 months in order to bring new players from other games?

Maybe they should try to attract Call of Duty players next? Turn GW2 into an FPS? Or covert the whole game into DotA in an attempt to grab some of that LoL money?

The game already had a very well established fanbase, some being attracted to this game because of the lack of gear progression. This new change just serves to alienate the fans in a cheap attempt to grab some WoW players.

Not enough to keep a game this size running, or this wouldnt be happening.

krookie.6378

No I’m not trolling, but I shouldn’t say nothing is fun, that was wrong, I take that back. I would say at end game I need something to keep me going. This is an MMO, thats what MMO players look for at the end. If i didn’t want to do that I would just play a single player console game or something. As of now I don’t really log on that much because I’m waiting for the patch.

Speak for yourself. This is not what MMO players look for at the end. This is what you and those trained by WoW’s Skinner box look for at the end. Those of us who played UO and GW1 do not look for a gear grind at the end.

Posted by: Aphix.9846

Aphix.9846

Good idea. Only more stuff to work towards and more things to do endgame.
Good update in general.

SO MANY people moan about it. WHY ? It’s optional and you don’t have to get it. People who don’t want them can just ignore it and…well…don’t get it rofl.
LA chat and guild chat filled with stupid complaints and moaning. ‘Anet promised a game with no gear grind and no grind in general’ Bad news they also promised an MMORPG and I don’t see that happening without grind rofl. You’re naive and need to get out of your bubble. Adding new things is always a good thing, especially if none of this is mandatory. Not like they stop your character from progressing and tell you to upgrade your gear before you can continue lol. More gear and more skins to come – always a positive.

Oh dear…people nowadays.

Great idea great update gj I’m excited.
—————————————————————————————-
Always someone brings wow into this. WHY ? I’m guessing some/most have not played it, including me, I played GW1 and I’m happy about these changes. Also guess what not all of us play 2 hours a week. Some have more time to enjoy the game and they reach certain ‘goals’ quicker than others. That’s what Anet also said. They didn’t expect people to reach the legendary hunt so quickly after exotics.
So they add something to keep the players interested and playing.
You don’t want someone in your group to have better gear than you lol or what’s the deal ? so what if you mate got better stuff than you, get over it. In wvw it simply wont matter since a little stat boost wont decide anything in a zerg. What other reason could it be ? Nothing.
You can go for ascended gear whenever you feel like it, and I’m willing to bet sometime, even if it’s in 2 years, you’ll want to progress your character gear wise and think ‘Fk, wasn’t a bad idea after all.’

(edited by Aphix.9846)

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

ok I have to post again on this tread.
Even after I read the clarification by Lindsay, all I can think is wow.

What clarifications? Link?

Old link I know but I haven’t posted since yesterday
https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/linsey-murdock-unveils-new-high-end-ascended-gear/
you all know this by now

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Lothair.8942

Lothair.8942

This sentence is what has me worried about the new gear.

Quote from Linsey’s blog post:
“Eventually, you’ll be able to kit yourself out with a full set of Ascended gear and high end Infusions to help give you the edge in end game content.”

No one was ever supposed to have an “edge”. Ever.

The day I am asked to link my armor/weapon to prove my gear is “worthy” of joining an event/group is the day I will quit GW2.

The “edge” is supposed to be skill NOT gear. At least that’s what I thought I was buying.

Posted by: MrSilver.5269

MrSilver.5269

If they are having issues with generating revenue how about introducing a ton of new (and good) cosmetic skins that may be transmuted into your wearable gear and that may only be purchased with a new form of gem that can’t be traded for gold.

I know I would be more than willing to spend at least $10-15 per month on cosmetic improvements.

There is so much that could be done to improve the current items that are purchasable with gems.

For example:

30 slot bags
Weapon skins
Underwater armor skins
Customizable Titles
Designable Guild military-type uniforms beyond just an emblem.
Guild only Commander icons (i.e., can only be seen by other members of a guild)

I’d also be willing to go so far as to purchase a fully leveled and geared character. Let’s say for $150.00 you get a completed level 80 with your choice of soulbound level 80 exotic armor, weapon and trinkets. I know that that idea is probably more than most can stomach, but the point is, I am willing to spend irl money to buy in-game items if the in-game items were worth purchasing.

In any event, my point is that if revenue is the issue, please figure out a way to solve the problem without going against the manifesto.

But I’m trying, Ringo. I’m trying real hard to be the shepherd.

Posted by: HTXL.2598

HTXL.2598

You can spin it anyway you want.

He clearly means players that have reached 80 and are frustrated that a legendary is long grind, so they put something in between.

Posted by: jboynton.7894

jboynton.7894

You complete it to complete it and then are rewarded with a unique skin of gear, title, achievement, etc.

The idea that the item must be statistically more powerful is laughable.