Thoughts on Ascended Gear? [Merged threads]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: covenn.7165

covenn.7165

No interest in a gear grind. There are way better games for that than this one.

Complete and total fail by ANET.

covenn.7165

I am interested in hearing if anyone actually gets a refund. It might be time for us all to apply for one.

Posted by: LadenSwallow.1468

LadenSwallow.1468

covenn.7165

Looks like that is the answer then.

Posted by: bufko.2497

bufko.2497

You know, the first time you posted this I believed you were just showing it to, I don’t know, let us know it works and it’s not a hassle to get your money back. By now, and about 15 posts of that same link in 15 different topics over the course of 3 days later, I just think you want some kind of pat on the shoulder.

/pat

Posted by: Kisses.1054

Kisses.1054

250 t6 mats…
or level 10 in a dungeon you can’t pug
ok.
if the other ascended follow this trend…
ANd yes they are better. Even if each individual piece is only slightly better, it adds up for a full set.
Add to this the ecto and t6 mat requirements have sent the prices of these mats soaring so that regular exotics are harder to come by for the non hardcore player.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Wait, they drop only from level 10 up? Is that someone’s idea of a sick joke?

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Shayde.2564

Shayde.2564

In European Countries the “Unfair Commercial Practices Directive,” legally requires a manufacturer to accept returns under bait and switch conditions. The document can be found: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CDMQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fec.europa.eu%2Fconsumers%2Fcons_int%2Fsafe_shop%2Ffair_bus_pract%2Fucp_en.pdf&ei=_eioUKrFNqag2gX_3YGwCg&usg=AFQjCNEhoQoAfztIpixN63kojY8yQKt_LQ&sig2=92DhUMm_OQZZNiDqXJoDwA

Posted by: cherrie.8907

cherrie.8907

I am interested in hearing if anyone actually gets a refund. It might be time for us all to apply for one.

I’ve got a refund, my friends got a refund.

However, their current policy is to only give refund after up to 6 months after purchase.
So guess what, if you pre-purchased early, you’re probably out of luck, like I am on my main account (bought the 2nd one for my boyfriend in July).

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
-Mike Obrien
“We don’t need to make mandatory gear treadmills” -Colin Johanson

Posted by: stpetemermaid.5947

stpetemermaid.5947

A golem named BUY-4373, an NPC named Subdirector Blingg, and a jumping puzzle named Under New Management.

I’m sorry, but those references are too coincidental to just be funny. Thanks for letting us now, ANet.

Yeah.

Hey Anet guys who were against all this crap… you might want to try getting a job at Neverwinter online or do something with kickstarter.

Tell us about it when you can, and sorry they trashed your game. heh.

It gets better.
From the Wiki: Subdirector Blingg’s objective is to “intimidate Subdirector Noll.” Noll means head or top of head. I think we all know what Blingg means. The word intimidate is nowhere else in the wiki, except to describe the cripple ability of some ranger pets.

Googled 4373 and find that it is a reference to a MS security error relating to remote attacks, and also assigned to a software vulernability code that allowed attackers to execute arbitrary code.

Easter eggs are usually for fun! These…not so much.

Posted by: cherrie.8907

cherrie.8907

You know, the first time you posted this I believed you were just showing it to, I don’t know, let us know it works and it’s not a hassle to get your money back. By now, and about 15 posts of that same link in 15 different topics over the course of 3 days later, I just think you want some kind of pat on the shoulder.

/pat

In case you haven’t noticed, search on this forum is utterly useless.
So if people keep on asking the same question – probably because it’s impossible to find anything on these forums – we continue to give answers.

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
-Mike Obrien
“We don’t need to make mandatory gear treadmills” -Colin Johanson

Posted by: Xpiher.5209

Xpiher.5209

Wait, they drop only from level 10 up? Is that someone’s idea of a sick joke?

No, you can get the essence from level 1. But its RNG which means that chances of getting them increases as you go up in levels. People are saying level 10 because it appears thats when you bump up to the next “tier” and start getting exotics and other yellow crafting matts as well.

Unless normal dungeons have this mechanic as well, don’t expect people to do them often.

Posted by: Hey.1859

Hey.1859

My friends and me have stopped GW2.

That’s not the annonced games. Dev’s lies.

Posted by: bufko.2497

bufko.2497

A golem named BUY-4373, an NPC named Subdirector Blingg, and a jumping puzzle named Under New Management.

I’m sorry, but those references are too coincidental to just be funny. Thanks for letting us now, ANet.

Yeah.

Hey Anet guys who were against all this crap… you might want to try getting a job at Neverwinter online or do something with kickstarter.

It gets better.
From the Wiki: Subdirector Blingg’s objective is to “intimidate Subdirector Noll.” Noll means head or top of head. I think we all know what Blingg means. The word intimidate is nowhere else in the wiki, except to describe the cripple ability of some ranger pets.

Googled 4373 and find that it is a reference to a MS security error relating to remote attacks, and also assigned to a software vulernability code that allowed attackers to execute arbitrary code.

Easter eggs are usually for fun! These…not so much.

This… seems a bit far fetched But yeah, maybe you’re right though.

Posted by: Darkever.9732

Darkever.9732

“Here’s what we believe: If someone wants to play for a thousand hours to get an item that is so rare that other players can’t realistically acquire it, that rare item should be differentiated by its visual appearance and rarity alone, not by being more powerful than everything else in the game. Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games — we leave the grind to other MMOs.”

-Mike Obrien, President of Arenanet

Fun impacts loot collection. The rarest items in the game are not more powerful than other items, so you don’t need them to be the best. The rarest items have unique looks to help your character feel that sense of accomplishment, but it’s not required to play the game. We don’t need to make mandatory gear treadmills, we make all of it optional, so those who find it fun to chase this prestigious gear can do so, but those who don’t are just as powerful and get to have fun too.”

– Colin Johanson

Finally, since combat is such a core part of the gameplay of any MMO, we’ve put a lot of emphasis into rethinking combat. So much of traditional MMO combat is rote and repetitive. You execute the same strategy over and over again, just augmented over time with better and better gear. After a while it starts to feel like you’re playing a spreadsheet. Combat needs to be about making creative choices, and it needs to feel immediate, active, and visceral.

-Mike O’Brien

This is basically what makes so many people dissatisfied (and maybe even angry): ANet broke their promises and introduces a tier of items that requies LOTS of grinding to get, with better stats (apparently +8% than exotics, which is quite a lot), and everything just to please few thousands people who play the game 12 hours per day and already did everything there was to do.

I don’t know who inside ANet came up with this horrible idea, but whoever did, please realize this: ascended gear will NOT be enough to satisfy grinders. They will get their full set of it, and then begin to whine again about the lack of contents. Grinders don’t care about restarting the game with a new character to experience a different personal story, nor getting different armor/weapon looks, nor actually trying to overcome other players in skills only by playing PvP, nor doing mini-games just for fun: grinders only want to get the best gear, and once they reach it the games become empty. This is a horrible mentality created by WoW, and it’s really sad to see ANet giving up their good intentions in escaping from this line of thought and do something different, where the focus is not on stats but on FUN.

This is only the tip of the iceberg of the problems with this Lost Shores patch, but if ANet doesn’t even realize it, it’s pointless to talk about the other stuff.

Posted by: Urxx.6840

Urxx.6840

It’s been posted already, but now that the “under new management” thing has surfaced it sounds like a confirmation:

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/crystin-cox/3/957/a77

It seems Nexon, which is known as a greedy company and bought a quote in NCSoft, pushed to have at least one of their people manage monetization in ANet.

Under new management

It looks less and less like a conspiracy theory that the good people at ANet, those who always said they were gamers first and foremost, and made the kind of games they wanted to play themselves, are trying to say to us: “sorry, it hurts us too, we have no choice anymore, we are under new management.”

Posted by: Maz.8604

Maz.8604

The acronym for the new dungeon is Flavor of the Month

Posted by: dalendria.3762

dalendria.3762

And now this is starting to become the talking points on other sites. Someone mentioned the Bioware ME3 fiasco. I think that is a good reference for this situation. The negativity around this is not going to die down.

More and more people are calling it what it is – A Major Change in Philosophy/Vision/Design Approach. An approach that has existed for 7 years and was marketed to sell the original product for over 2 million box sales. That speaks to a company’s reputation, brand and customer trust. This is bigger than just adding a new gear tier for a different customer base. Tarnishment of a brand can hurt a company’s longevity and ability to sustain profitability.

http://www.brokentalon.com/index.php/forum/9-guild-wars/669-guild-wars-2-philosophy-shift

http://www.examiner.com/article/guild-wars-2-may-take-it-s-first-critical-mis-step-upcoming-lost-shores-exp

Can you feel it? HOT HOT HOT

(edited by dalendria.3762)

Posted by: Nageth.5648

Nageth.5648

I’m beginning to wonder if they intentionally made this patch a complete mess to try to prove a point. There are lots of great things about it spoiled by these weird things that completely go against the originally stated design goals.

For instance, they could have made fractal level progression much less of an issue. Instead they made it so people could easily level up 10 times or so over the course of a weekend. They then incentived this new dungeon with extremely good loot drops that got much better at high levels so people would demand max fractal level groups. Finally they put out the trial offer so you have a bunch of new people and you side kick them to 80 so they can “try” to find a group that will take them into the new dungeon.

It is like they were literally trying to shoot themselves in the foot.

Posted by: Sphere.2076

Sphere.2076

Yes indeed it spreads like wild fire all over the net.
On another note, I will have to watch the development of Elder Scrolls Online. It is supposed to have a WVW style pvp. Could just be another GW2 clone. We will see. Thats why i bought this game, for balance and skill and no treadmill. I dont do dungeons and dont like to.

Posted by: Urxx.6840

Urxx.6840

I’m beginning to wonder if they intentionally made this patch a complete mess to try to prove a point. There are lots of great things about it spoiled by these weird things that completely go against the originally stated design goals.

For instance, they could have made fractal level progression much less of an issue. Instead they made it so people could easily level up 10 times or so over the course of a weekend. They then incentived this new dungeon with extremely good loot drops that got much better at high levels so people would demand max fractal level groups. Finally they put out the trial offer so you have a bunch of new people and you side kick them to 80 so they can “try” to find a group that will take them into the new dungeon.

I don’t know if that’s the case, but I’ve known ANet for 7 years, and they WERE different than most other studios. I wouldn’t have bought GW2’s hype from any other game company, because they had a proven track record of sticking to their guns and keeping their word.

It’s a fact this isn’t the ANet all of us veterans know.

Maybe the name of that jumping puzzle is just a coincidence, but I can tell you for sure some management pressure has been made and the ascended fiasco is not ANet’s style at all.

We’ll probably never know the details, but something has changed for sure.

(edited by Urxx.6840)

Posted by: Ferguson.2157

Ferguson.2157

Maybe by naming their gating method “agony” they were trying to comunicate to the outside world?

“What, me worry?” – A. E. Neuman

Posted by: Shaula.6940

Shaula.6940

Guys, see what ppl were writing in JUNE!!!

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/39016-nexon-today-acquired-3218091-shares-of-ncsoft/page__st__60

“cash shop might not be affected but wat about the good Arena net’s service to customers; i afraid that Nexon will infected Anet become a like the rest greedy company. "

" There is ZERO quality control and customer service is non-existent. This SUCKS. "

Our worste fears have come true
it seems clear now to me

Posted by: Fuz.5621

Fuz.5621

Yes indeed it spreads like wild fire all over the net.
On another note, I will have to watch the development of Elder Scrolls Online. It is supposed to have a WVW style pvp. Could just be another GW2 clone. We will see. Thats why i bought this game, for balance and skill and no treadmill. I dont do dungeons and dont like to.

ESO will have the gear treadmill.
They stated it.
Too bad, the PvP seemed interesting.

But yes, Anet kittened up big time with this update, not only with the ridiculous gear treadmill (hey Anet? I bought this game because YOU PROMISED it won’t have had anything like it… otherwise I’d have just played pandas) and with the extremely dispersive FotM, where a lot of people can’t find a group because all are at different stages.

Posted by: Grimstor.4160

Grimstor.4160

I love the concept of a random dungeon that gets harder the more you play it. What a great idea! In fact this is the first dungeon I’ve even tried in GW2. because it sounded fun. But now I see that it has a gear grind attached, that requires finding specific groups of people that believe themselves ‘elite’ because they’ve done the dungeons over and over again. In a few weeks it will be hard if not impossible to join groups.

I’m like cosmetic gear, but I hate grinds. Put fancy stuff in the shop and get rid of random chance chests. Maybe I want a flaming axe cosmetic skin and would pay 5 dollars for it. Like many others, I came to this game to play for fun, not as a replacement for a second job. I log in for a few hours to enjoy my time, not waste it.

I want to spend my money in the game on cosmetic/convenience items and play for fun. I want to play WvW to feel part of a community. I don’t want to play the same content 40 hours a week to get +15 hit points and a shiny blue logo by my character name to say ‘I am so great, bow down to me peasants’.

Why not just start charging 50 gems for each entry to the Fractal dungeons. and just help people to make up the mind on where to spend their time and money quickly. Same concept, only the elite may apply… but instead of those with best gear, only the rich/wealthy will stay. Isn’t that what the company is after now? It sure isn’t trying to make money on cosmetic items…

Posted by: John Lucier.5486

John Lucier.5486

If you purchased guild wars 2 before 6 months ago and they are not giving you refunds, a lot of card companies will do a chargeback for even up to a year, at least my bank does.
Call them up, state to them you ordered a product and that company committed false advertising. Or you can simply state you did not authorize it, because if you want to get technical when you purchased the game you were authorizing your credit card to be purchased for Guild No gear treadmill Wars 2, and you didnt authorize your card to be used for the purchase of Guild Gear Treadmill Wars 2.

I came to GW2, from a short break from mmos (4 months), before that I played an MMO from headstart just like this one. That game company also said it would not be about gear, and getting the new set. I had a lot of fun in the “Warzones” but they really flopped on the world pvp. Then suddenly, as people were having fun they announce t hey are going to also introduce a new set of gear, and it’s gonna take twice as long, and
that it will keep going. This game is called SWTOR. I tried to play it even while there was new top gear, felt like my entire body and mind were telling me not to play and it is crap, so I was not having fun anymore. Me and my entire big guild, yea we all charged back everything we spent on the game. We must not have been the only ones because shortly after the game was announced to become F2P.

To Arena Net:
You are already F2p, with a cash shop. You have NOTHING to fall back on other then going to 100% pay to win cash shop. Your stock is falling and your customers have spoken. No to Ascended gear. We will NOT compromise, and we DEMAND whoever made the decision to implement Ascended gear be sent to the unemployment line.

(edited by John Lucier.5486)

Posted by: Sardonia.8196

Sardonia.8196

I am not all for the accended gear and all either. However, I try to work within the system ankittenrying to give it a try like it or not.

I like the concept of the new dungeon. Kind of neat and all, however, and this is a big however, is that I am having a tough time trying to get a group together. I am still level 1. Have not had much time to play this weekend. The issue is people asking for higher levels so they do not have to go back down again. To me this is the biggest issue with that dungeon.

I spent an hour trying to get a group yesterday and was not able to. I am a level 80 with full exotics and am an engineer( which already hurts against me). With not being able to play from the get go, people now are in the upper levels and they do not want to go back and help anyone out. Some say join a guild. I am in a guild, however, 80% of the guild as quit because of some of these issues which pretty much leaves me alone again.

I though well I can wait it out a week until they reset. Well I guess I found out they they will not reset which means anyone trying to do this dungeon later is pretty much out of luck.

I am trying to work with what they gave us and unfortuntely with this type of dungeon system, it will pretty much leave me out of it because that is the nature of the beast with this type of set up. Get behind, fall behind and left out.

Also I do not understand where this is going to add more income to them. The people that like this type of progression are not the ones that are going to spend a dime on this game besides the box sale. They do not have to because they can just grind out the items and make plenty of gold that way to do what they want or just get what they want and move back to WoW or what not until more content is added latter.

To me, most the money comes from the customers that do not have as much time to grind away and who want to spend money on the cash shop, to both support the company, and to help support their type of playstyle. If they would have added some new skins or what not in the cash shop, they could have generated a lot more money than what this proposol is. Perhaps I am not correct, but it sure seems that way to me.

Again I am trying to work within the system, however, they system and people seem to be working against me for trying.

Posted by: SirMoogie.9263

SirMoogie.9263

I get where you all are coming from regarding the issue with ascended gear causing vertical progression but think about it…if we had to jump from having exotics straight to legendary gear( if that ever comes out) that would cause a gap between players. This is the issue Anet is trying to avoid with ascended gear I personally dont have a problem with it so long as it doesnt give a huge advantage compared to what we currently are geared in now.

I’m not sure what you mean. Legendaries have the same stats as exotics as of this day. They are set to get an increase in damage/stats when ascendant weapons are created and introduced. There was no statistical gap between a player with a legendary weapon and a player with an exotic weapon (all other things being equal). The only difference was impressive visual distinction. So, following this formula, how would adding Legendary armor create a gap?

I can see why you’re confused as Arena Net said they were filling the gap between exotic and legendaries. What they seem to mean by this is that they want a shorter more obtainable goal that is longer than acquiring an exotic, but shorter than legendary. However, they seem to only think it becomes a goal if you bump the stats and attach resistance checking content, not the looks.

Posted by: Logun.2349

Logun.2349

Pre-FoTM Server

This will never happen but if given the choice who would join me on a server patched back to before this latest patch?

If given the choice I wouldn’t have to give it a second thought.

Posted by: Moose.1084

Moose.1084

Greetings, I’d like to add my voice to those against the recent changes. I am very disappointed with the direction that Arena Net is taking. This new gear progression and the content gating, no matter how slowly they are rolled out, set a really bad precedent for future content. This is not something that I ever expected to see in a Guild Wars product.

Disappointment aside, I am also completely baffled by the move. Guild Wars 1 proved that an MMO can be successful with cosmetic gear progression as part of the “End Game”. For 7 years this worked out just fine. In fact, it worked out so good that a sequel was made. Why fix something that wasn’t broken?

I think that customers who enjoy stat based progression already have plenty of options in the MMO landscape. With Guild Wars 2, Anet had a winning formula that no other MMO provided. It’s part of what made this franchise stand out. Right up until last Friday anyway.

With a few more updates like this one, it won’t be Zhaitan that finally destroys Tyria ^__^

Posted by: Slycer.6539

Slycer.6539

Dissapointed with the gear changes. I purchased GW2 on the pretense gear would not be a PVE grind and would not affect balance. The changes do in fact affect WvW balance, as I dont want to grind dungeons it leaves me little options for gear.

Posted by: Mhyrria.4160

Mhyrria.4160

I hope the devs start another company, we will be sure to follow it. Nexon is BS as BS could possibly get. I hope in ends well for all the people that created GW1 and 2.

Posted by: Columba.9730

Columba.9730

It’s been posted already, but now that the “under new management” thing has surfaced it sounds like a confirmation:

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/crystin-cox/3/957/a77

It seems Nexon, which is known as a greedy company and bought a quote in NCSoft, pushed to have at least one of their people manage monetization in ANet.

Under new management

It looks less and less like a conspiracy theory that the good people at ANet, those who always said they were gamers first and foremost, and made the kind of games they wanted to play themselves, are trying to say to us: “sorry, it hurts us too, we have no choice anymore, we are under new management.”

Wow. I am sorry to hear that they put an intern in charge of monetization. I am all for earning profits, but there are right ways and wrong ways to do so.

only thieves know how to play, they chant “L2P” every time their god mode is challenged.

Posted by: Shaula.6940

Shaula.6940

I hope the devs start another company, we will be sure to follow it. Nexon is BS as BS could possibly get. I hope in ends well for all the people that created GW1 and 2.

even if ppl at ANet will start a new company, they can’t take GW with them
and i loved the lore etc… behind GW/GW2
:(
i’m so sad
i’ve lost the will to play
it’s like… ok now i play… for what? Tomorrow will all be wasted
i paid for the Anet game, not other BS company game

Posted by: Waffler.1257

Waffler.1257

Yeah.

Even better, they should all just start their own company and make a TRUE successor to Guild Wars 1.

Posted by: Harbard.5738

Harbard.5738

I couldn’t get a refund because, guess what, I was suckered into pre-purchasing.

Give me game. Not grind, not gating, not RNG, not +stat junk, not checklists.

Posted by: Waffler.1257

Waffler.1257

I couldn’t get a refund because, guess what, I was suckered into pre-purchasing.

People who pre-purchased can still get refunds. People who pre-purchased before May 18 can’t. Makes sense right?

Posted by: Nar.8327

Nar.8327

I am only sticking around to hope that this is what happened.

We got a dungeon called “FotM,” and a few veiled references to money and new management. Honestly, it sounds to me like a few loyal developers were trying to get their message out without risking their paychecks too much.

Posted by: Lt Latency.7415

Lt Latency.7415

I really don’t believe people are getting refunds.

There is no Proof there is anything past Ascended so you can’t prove that there is even a gear treadmill yet and balancing no game is balacned. So you could get your money back for every game ever made for that.

They got got a refund in 6 hours?? That pretty fast processing if it said a few days from when he asked got one maybe

(edited by Lt Latency.7415)

Posted by: replicant.3620

replicant.3620

Yup, it’s a day when you look at the Calendar and you just sigh because it’s not April 1st.

Peralta | 80 Human Necromancer | Pain Train Choo [Choo] | Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: Kada Feed.1782

Kada Feed.1782

I was sick to see my guildmates farm dungeon instead of joining me in WvW but at least, i knew that it was only for a few more days/weeks until everybody have the skin and stats they want.

And now it’s back to the begining with a new Tier of stuff ??

The game wasn’t supposed to be a grind fest.. 250 T6 mat, for a backpiece, ARE YOU KIDDING ??!! And it’s not only for the look as it was supposed to be.

Cya GW2, i go on PS2.. I will miss WvW and all the political metagame but at least, i’ll have open battles without this kind of Korean game grind kitten

Posted by: Ganzo.5079

Ganzo.5079

I really don’t believe people are getting refunds. There is no Proof there is anything past Ascended so you can’t prove that there is even a gear treadmill yet and balancing no game is balacned. So you could get your money back for every game ever made for that.

They got got a refund in 6 hours?? That pretty fast processing if it said a few days from when he asked got one maybe

Sry but, its all about PR.

Pr prelease state something.
Pr after release and pre 11\15 patch say the opposite thing, even if covered with veiled or doublesided words.

Whitout confirmations, ppl have all the rights to be worried about their “investment”

Because, like Guild Wars before it, GW2 doesn’t fall into the traps of traditional MMORPGs.
It doesn’t suck your life away and force you onto a grinding treadmill"
LOL

Posted by: Kitsan.8453

Kitsan.8453

Yup, it’s a day when you look at the Calendar and you just sigh because it’s not April 1st.

But now we do know what will be fodder for the roasting during Blizzard’s next April Fool’s Day festivities.

They are cooking up GW2 jokes galore as we moan.

Posted by: Kriton.5402

Kriton.5402

A Monetization Producer at ArenaNet from March 2012. How much time does a company need to do such a change – produce the content?

http://www.mmorpg.com/blogs/Meleagar/072009/24188_ANET-Is-Lying-To-Us

Posted by: Harbard.5738

Harbard.5738

They said I can’t get a refund because I pre-purchased it in April because i’m a total idiot. My 600+ hours invested into this game are gone anyway. Sucks to feel like this. I mean, I was ready to feel like an idiot for being over-hyped or whatever, but this? Never saw this coming. At least not so soon and in such way. Better luck everyone else who’s trying.

Give me game. Not grind, not gating, not RNG, not +stat junk, not checklists.

Posted by: Churchland.7524

Churchland.7524

They said I can’t get a refund because I pre-purchased it in April because i’m a total idiot. My 600+ hours invested into this game are gone anyway. Sucks to feel like this. I mean, I was ready to feel like an idiot for being over-hyped or whatever, but this? Never saw this coming. At least not so soon and in such way. Better luck everyone else who’s trying.

Same here, I just got my reply, I’m past the 6 month cutoff since I pre-purchased.

Posted by: Sykper.6583

Sykper.6583

There is a lot of hate going on in this thread and although I agree largely with many of the points listed, like the manifesto being breached or content shifting towards grinding…why aren’t we offering a discussion on ‘how to make the new content work’ as opposed to ‘the new content should just be tossed’?

A lot of the complaints have a basis on the following premise, that Guild Wars 2 would allow multiple paths in its end-game content to reach the optimal. You could spend karma, run WvW, PvP, PvE all for the highest tier of gear. Heck, if you had enough money you could craft or buy your way to it!

The only, real issue that came with this patch isn’t really the fact that the Ascended gear was a step up in stats, if anything the stats are as A-Net said, a tier between Exotics and Legendaries. People might have assumed the stat changes weren’t going to be that different, well that was an understatement. No, the real issue people are having is the fact you can only get this kind of gear through dungeons. What A-Net should have done, their biggest mistake was not from day 1 of releasing new content was implement vendors or some mechanism that you could get Ascended gear through other means.

OR-

Better yet, make it similar to how you get Legendaries and force you to hit multiple levels of involvement, maybe on a slightly lesser scope. For example, you could use karma to buy items that would act as materials with T6 materials to craft said gear, OR spend WvW badges on items that merged with current exotics for an upgraded ascended item…and so on.

I feel A-Net wanted to fix the cry for end-game, but only resulted in gathering hate from every non-PvE dungeon player. Speaking from a player who likes the new dungeon I believe A-Net shouldn’t have neglected to allow players to explore different paths to this new tier…

Just some thoughts.

Suicidal Warrior.
Putting Perspective on Zerg Sizes since 2012. Common Suffixes for 40+ include ~Zilla and ~Train
“Seriously, just dodge.”

Posted by: Columba.9730

Columba.9730

Yes, if I could get this stuff in WvWvW or pve outside dungeons, I’d be happier. However, they are bent on forcing me to do dungeons.

only thieves know how to play, they chant “L2P” every time their god mode is challenged.

Posted by: John Lucier.5486

John Lucier.5486

Same here, I just got my reply, I’m past the 6 month cutoff since I pre-purchased.

ahh but you can. Call up your bank or card and issue a chargeback. I know my bank and card company covers me for a very long time, so it cant be the only one.

@Sykper
No making compromises is exactly how games get and stay into these situations in the first place.
If anyone stuck together and did what they said they were going to do in protest, or followed through with their threats, INSTEAD of compromising; then the companies would actually be forced to retract their disgustingly 180 change in policies or chose to go bankrupt/go on the market for a buyer

(edited by John Lucier.5486)

Posted by: Ballistic.4531

Ballistic.4531

There is a lot of hate going on in this thread and although I agree largely with many of the points listed, like the manifesto being breached or content shifting towards grinding…why aren’t we offering a discussion on ‘how to make the new content work’ as opposed to ‘the new content should just be tossed’?

People have already proposed many ways how to mitigate this in this and other threads.

The only, real issue that came with this patch isn’t really the fact that the Ascended gear was a step up in stats

That’s far from the real issue.

if anything the stats are as A-Net said, a tier between Exotics and Legendaries

And this just isn’t true. Legendary and Exotic weaps had the same stats. So there can be no stat-gap if they are identical in terms of stats. What Anet said is that they weren’t equal time-wise and that they wanted to close that gap. Although, which gap is beyond me.

People might have assumed the stat changes weren’t going to be that different, well that was an understatement.

Nope. People have assumed no stat changes at all.

No, the real issue people are having is the fact you can only get this kind of gear through dungeons.

Again, that’s only one of the issues.

What A-Net should have done, their biggest mistake was not from day 1 of releasing new content was implement vendors or some mechanism that you could get Ascended gear through other means.

That wouldn’t fix the underlying problem, but would be a step in the right direction. Although I’m not expecting any new steps in the right direction, as it seems to me that Anet lost it’s compass.

Better yet, make it similar to how you get Legendaries and force you to hit multiple levels of involvement, maybe on a slightly lesser scope. For example, you could use karma to buy items that would act as materials with T6 materials to craft said gear, OR spend WvW badges on items that merged with current exotics for an upgraded ascended item…and so on.

Some people never wanted to create a Legendary. So, IMO this way you would be forcing them into something they don’t want to do – And this was the entire premise of this game. Not forcing you to anything you don’t want to do and still have fun.

I feel A-Net wanted to fix the cry for end-game, but only resulted in gathering hate from every non-PvE dungeon player. Speaking from a player who likes the new dungeon I believe A-Net shouldn’t have neglected to allow players to explore different paths to this new tier…

Not sure if you remember, but this game was advertised as having no traditional end-game and that “entire game is an end-game”. People seem to be forgetting that. More importantly Anet seems to have forgotten that.

This world needs more people being frank and less people being offended.