Thoughts on re-released event items

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: george.4502

george.4502

I’d like to start off this post by stating that although I understand the feelings of players who want to have unique items and not have them re-released, I 100% support the decision to bring these items back every now and then.
I think its great that the Devs provide us with opportunities through out the year to have another shot at items we may have missed during limited events. I’m happy that they have the mindset that we can’t be online all the time or have the time or resources to complete all limited events so they provide alternatives when they can. They should continue to re-release these items as long as they maintain the cost to be on par as the first release. ie: The thoughtless and selfless potions are more or less on the same difficulty scale as the first time. (yes it is possible to get them quicker than the first time, but would require more farming)
My only complaint is that there should be a rotation of sort to propperly cycle through re-released items. Some items like the wings of the sunless have never been re-released. In my opinion, knowing what items are next on re-release gets more people excited for up coming events as they know there is an item they want.
What are your thoughts on this? Would be nice to hear from Devs too.

Posted by: zombyturtle.5980

zombyturtle.5980

I agree with you on almost all points. As long as the rewards require the same effort to get I think its great they are brought back.

The only thing that concerns me is if they rework living story season 1 into s2 style, I think those items would be better fitting as rewards for completing that content, rather than being earned through unrelated events. What rewards will ls s1 have if everyone has already earned the old ones.

george.4502

I agree with you on almost all points. As long as the rewards require the same effort to get I think its great they are brought back.

The only thing that concerns me is if they rework living story season 1 into s2 style, I think those items would be better fitting as rewards for completing that content, rather than being earned through unrelated events. What rewards will ls s1 have if everyone has already earned the old ones.

If i understand what you are saying, I also agree that i would be fine with making some items achievmemt bound (both in the traditional sense and in the S2 story line where they have item rewards for achievments within the story line) if done this way, at least they can make it more challenging to recieve those items, that people can keep some prestige on unique items without complaining too much (Think Liadry mini achievement)

Posted by: fireflyry.7023

fireflyry.7023

I like the idea that certain rewards are given out if your there at the time and if your not you miss out.

If your having adventurer problems I feel bad for you son, I dodged 99 arrows till my knee took one.

Posted by: Crise.9401

Crise.9401

I like the idea that certain rewards are given out if your there at the time and if your not you miss out.

I do too, but with ArenaNet’s temporary content model for LS1, this was a rule not an exception. For example, I am perfectly fine with them doing cosmetic stuff like hats or some weapon skins (the halloween shield f.ex.) as limited things. However, because of how S1 was there are so many of these items and some of them have prestige far above what is supposed to be the most prestigious items in the game.

There is really no point for ArenaNet to indefinitely keep a huge chunk of rewards as one time only when they can get more out of these items by making them available to more players, in moderation of course.

Posted by: fireflyry.7023

fireflyry.7023

What they needed to eliminate was the ability to sell them on the TP but yeah we are kind of on the same page. My concern it when it swings too far the other way and suddenly every second player is running around with what was, at the time, an often hard earnt, rare and time-gated reward.

Even as a player who misses out on most of these types of things it’s cool to actually see items in-game and wonder where the hell the player got it or actually be surprised. Such items are already pretty non-existent in this game.

If your having adventurer problems I feel bad for you son, I dodged 99 arrows till my knee took one.

george.4502

While I also like the idea, I have come to the realization early in GW2 game life that it is not that type of game. Its not meant to be competitive or hardcore to an extreme level. That being said, I am fine with the current model they have. Additionally I do not think it would be fair to new players. While yes I would like that prestige to exist, i would not like it in that form as it would leave a sour taste in many players mouth. I think a better means of prestige would be through hard solo and group achievements that would provide a some sort of reward you could show off like a special skin or tittle. Ie: sometning like tge mini liadry achievement. Anyone who sees someone with it knows that player went through a lot to get it (other than those life siphon glitch but you get the point)

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

While I also like the idea, I have come to the realization early in GW2 game life that it is not that type of game. It’s not meant to be competitive or hardcore to an extreme level. That being said, I am fine with the current model they have. Additionally, I do not think it would be fair to new players. While yes I would like that prestige to exist, I would not like it in that form as it would leave a sour taste in many players’ mouth. I think a better means of prestige would be through hard solo and group achievements that would provide some sort of reward you could show off like a special skin or title. E.g., something like the mini liadry achievement. Anyone who sees someone with it knows that player went through a lot to get it (other than those life siphon glitch but you get the point).

In another game I obtained a flameward hippogryph in such a way and yeah it’s great having achievement based stuff like skins. Some things are exclusive to previous content and while it’s disappointing to miss the boat you just have to respect that.