Thoughts on the March 26th Patch

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: lunarminx.3624

lunarminx.3624

I’m curious why they did this: “Weapons sold by vendors are no longer salvageable.”.
I know karma vendor items weren’t salvageable (even though I think we should be able to at least salvage upgrade items from them).

Haven’t finished reading the notes yet, so I may add more.

Just like this one: “Disabled the use of some consumable items in dungeons.” What consumables? (I’m assuming portal gun and the likes, but actual item list would be helpful)

People were buying vendor items and salvaging them to get the ore, most of the time, they made money over it. Someone cried like a baby about it so they killed it.

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

How was Time Warp OP? It has a ridiculously long downtime, as does anything in this game that does something cool.

It gave groups a huge boost in boss fights. The cooldown was long, but you only needed it for boss fights, so it doesn’t really matter. Also, stacked groups could often kill bosses before you would need another time warp anyways.

so what your saying is that increasing dps for 8 seconds out of 3 minutes and 30 seconds, boss fights were too easy?

Sounds like a problem with boss fights, not the skill.
lets be honest, this change had no good reason to happen in PVE at all. Its a pvp change.
if some one was going to kill a boss in 8 seconds, now they will take 12, wow we have solved the game.
Maybe if the other mesmer elites werent totally boring/useless it wouldnt be so annoying. To be honest time warp felt like a lot of fun, but it wasnt really that insane in pve, it was a lot more fun then a slow moa transform that barely matters or a mass invis, which in pve is pretty useless.

You just made a great point for and against your argument. The skill did not drastically change the outcome in a PvE battle. That means that the nerf is not very significant in a PvE battle.

That boss fight that takes 3 minutes and 30 seconds will now take 3 minutes and 34 seconds. Oh no!

the nerf is a big nerf to having fun and feeling like a hero, thats the problem. I dont care about dps charts to classes and all that BS. I like to feel cool and do cool things. Whereas before time warp was an adrenaline rush, now its like slight cup of coffee, and hate coffee.

as for rangers, its a bit different, this actually hurts the dps of the QS on swap greatly.
3/15 seconds, and more direct nerf to pet dmg since they primarily AA, and already have problems hitting moving targets due to animation cast times that also lock movement.

but that aside, it also feels like a lukewarm cup of coffee, the boost on swap is now barely noticeable.

(edited by phys.7689)

Posted by: sbr.8170

sbr.8170

Quick answer to one of the questions I have seen:

You will still be able to salvage weapons you get from dungeon tokens, the change only applies to vendor weapons you could buy with coins.

Could we ask what the reason for that change is?

Posted by: Jemmi.6058

Jemmi.6058

How was Time Warp OP? It has a ridiculously long downtime, as does anything in this game that does something cool.

It gave groups a huge boost in boss fights. The cooldown was long, but you only needed it for boss fights, so it doesn’t really matter. Also, stacked groups could often kill bosses before you would need another time warp anyways.

so what your saying is that increasing dps for 8 seconds out of 3 minutes and 30 seconds, boss fights were too easy?

lets be honest, this change had no good reason to happen in PVE at all. Its a pvp change.
if some one was going to kill a boss in 8 seconds, now they will take 12, wow we have solved the game.
Maybe if the other mesmer elites werent totally boring/useless it wouldnt be so annoying. To be honest time warp felt like a lot of fun, but it wasnt really that insane in pve, it was a lot more fun then a slow moa transform that barely matters or a mass invis, which in pve is pretty useless.

You just made a great point for and against your argument. The skill did not drastically change the outcome in a PvE battle. That means that the nerf is not very significant in a PvE battle.

That boss fight that takes 3 minutes and 30 seconds will now take 3 minutes and 34 seconds. Oh no!

the nerf is a big nerf to having fun and feeling like a hero, thats the problem. I dont care about dps charts to classes and all that BS. I like to feel cool and do cool things. Whereas before time warp was an adrenaline rush, now its like slight cup of coffee, and hate coffee.

You hate coffeeeeE?!?!?1 What’s?

Yes I understand your frustration. Have you used Time Warp since the change in any real fight? I have not yet, but I cannot imagine that the nerf is so bad that the skill will no longer be fun to use. It still provides AoE quickness, just not as quick.

I am going to log on during lunch break and see what I think, but for now I feel like people may be prematurely judging the change too harshly

Posted by: timmyf.1490

timmyf.1490

You will still be able to salvage weapons you get from dungeon tokens, the change only applies to vendor weapons you could buy with coins.

Could we ask what the reason for that change is?

Perhaps related to the salvage achievement and leaderboards? Or maybe to reduce the rate at which certain mats enter the economy?

Not sure that enough people bought and salvaged vendor weapons for that to matter, but you never know…

Karaoke – Guild Leader – [MEGA] Super Mega Happy Fun Time
www.getunicorned.com / northernshiverpeaks.org

Posted by: Jordy.1570

Jordy.1570

it took 7 MONTH to realize a skill is miscalculated by 50%.

change it for pvp to 50%. thats maybe ok. but the 100% in pve has never been op. u always need to take the risk to stand in the bubble. now is uselees. taka a lot of risk for a little bit more dmg….. now 1 just person needs to die while its up and the hole think was useless…

Posted by: RebelYell.7132

RebelYell.7132

The time it takes to down a boss is important. It’s important in WoW, which has healers, and clearly telegraphed and easily avoidable cleaves and damage patches. This game has no healers (on that scale), and avoiding damage is done with the immunity frames of a dodge roll, a very finite resource. With no other resource to combat attrition, DPS becomes hugely important.

User was infracted for being awesome.

Posted by: Valanga.5942

Valanga.5942

BL Chest weapon skins…

Sigh.

Couldn’t you just make them simple purchases? Do you have to add crappy gambling?

GW2 is all about RNG and gambling, what else did you expect?

Posted by: Kasama.8941

Kasama.8941

Removal of culling, stealth reveal now lasts 4 seconds, quickness effectiveness reduced, and new weapon skins. I love this patch. If pet targeting was also improved, it would have been perfect for me.

80 Ranger | 80 Mesmer | 80 Thief | 80 Guardian | 40 Engineer
“The learned is happy, nature to explore. The fool is happy, that he knows no more.”
-Alexander Pope

Posted by: callidus.7085

callidus.7085

Thank you for clarifying!

Slow down and smell the pixels.

Jordy.1570

[/quote]

as for rangers, its a bit different, this actually hurts the dps of the QS on swap greatly.
3/15 seconds, and more direct nerf to pet dmg since they primarily AA, and already have problems hitting moving targets due to animation cast times that also lock movement.

but that aside, it also feels like a lukewarm cup of coffee, the boost on swap is now barely noticeable.[/quote]

thanks for that.
latest changes just killed the fun in many ways. there r certrain situation that gave u a thrill. now everything gets boring.

i had to find the perfect timing and the right spot to cast time wrap. now i dont have to care about it anymore. the risk is not worth the trying…. i took a big risk to have a perfect timing. no risk no fun. with these changes the gameplay feels even more braindead.

sad sad sad…. never thought they will screw it up like this : /

Jemmi.6058

The time it takes to down a boss is important. It’s important in WoW, which has healers, and clearly telegraphed and easily avoidable cleaves and damage patches. This game has no healers (on that scale), and avoiding damage is done with the immunity frames of a dodge roll, a very finite resource. With no other resource to combat attrition, DPS becomes hugely important.

OK you can look at this one of two ways.

1. Time it takes to down a boss is important. Therefore, quickness was overpowered for these fights and required tweaking.

2. A few seconds every now and then is pretty insignificant. Therefore, quickness was not very important for PvE and the change has a minuscule effect.

Personally, I think that the few seconds is pretty insignificant. If a boss takes 4 minutes or 3 minutes and 30 seconds is not a huge deal for me. Therefore, I think the change has a minuscule effect on my play.

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

“Ranger pet cooldowns are now properly preserved when stabled.”

That’s a massive nerf.

Also, warriors banners being given double the bonuses while still being indestructible, mobile and having effects with a 100% uptime all without being traited is unbelievable.

Meanwhile, ranger spirits who have to be completely traited into to be even close to banners (and even then are light years away and still die in 2 hits from just about anything) aren’t deserving of an update.

It’s Anet’s not so subtle way of saying “Roll a warrior because we don’t give a flying kitten about the Ranger and kind of wish we never made it in the first place”.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

Posted by: Zepidel.5349

Zepidel.5349

With this patch you have made it obvious that you do not want anyone playing anything other than bunkers. You nerfed haste, and inadvertently nerfed the worst class in the game (warrior). Not changing the way stealth works now means thiefs can still abuse it to heal to full whenever they like(you also nerfed basilisk poision to no longer stun, but decided it still deserved to be called “basilisk – meaning zerker thiefs got a pretty big nerf”. D/D eles still not nerfed… Among other things….

Anet, you obviously don’t even spend 5 minutes playing your own game.

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

Yes I understand your frustration. Have you used Time Warp since the change in any real fight? I have not yet, but I cannot imagine that the nerf is so bad that the skill will no longer be fun to use. It still provides AoE quickness, just not as quick.

I am going to log on during lunch break and see what I think, but for now I feel like people may be prematurely judging the change too harshly

i logged in to try it out, it feels really lukewarm now. It last longer however, but its no where near the excitement it used to give. If mesmer had another elite that was useful i would probably use it. But moa morph is generally unecessary and doesnt even work on some mobs, and mass invis is generally useless in a fight

The problem really is, it just feels like balance wise they want to suck the fun stuff out. Like i said, changing the functionality of blind and aegis type skills, and giving bosses different behaviors when they are getting smashed in the face rapidly would be more entertaining and interesting fight mechanics than simply reducing the fun factor on quickness.`

Posted by: Valanga.5942

Valanga.5942

Nerfed warrior? You kidding, right? O.o

Jemmi.6058

i logged in to try it out, it feels really lukewarm now. It last longer however, but its no where near the excitement it used to give. If mesmer had another elite that was useful i would probably use it. But moa morph is generally unecessary and doesnt even work on some mobs, and mass invis is generally useless in a fight

The problem really is, it just feels like balance wise they want to suck the fun stuff out. Like i said, changing the functionality of blind and aegis type skills, and giving bosses different behaviors when they are getting smashed in the face rapidly would be more entertaining and interesting fight mechanics than simply reducing the fun factor on quickness.`

I 100% agree with what you are saying there. I much prefer buffs to bosses and extra mechanics added to fights over nerfs to anyone.

However, even though I do not PvP, I understand the need to make this change for the sake of PvP balance.

Posted by: ocelost.4321

ocelost.4321

Please, Arenanet, let us show characters’ names without titles above their heads. I find the names very useful to have at a glance. If I’m ever curious enough about someone to care about their title, I’ll click on them.

I also think people are still getting used to seeing a lot more players with less culling, so its probably partly due to that you feel things are cluttered

No, I’m standing in Hoelbrak right now, and even with the few players that happen to be standing around there, the titles are really annoying clutter that just distract and get in my way. What’s next? Hood ornaments? On-screen advertisements?

Posted by: Kontrolle.3514

Kontrolle.3514

Overall, I think it’s a pretty solid update. Nothing gets nerfed into oblivion….

checked engineer forums’?
This class got literally removed from the game.

RebelYell.7132

OK you can look at this one of two ways.

1. Time it takes to down a boss is important. Therefore, quickness was overpowered for these fights and required tweaking.

2. A few seconds every now and then is pretty insignificant. Therefore, quickness was not very important for PvE and the change has a minuscule effect.

Both of those perspectives involve the conceit that the change was made with inscrutable developer wisdom, and in good faith.

I propose this as #3: The change is symptomatic of badly focused developer resources. If Time Warp going from a 200% buff to a 150% buff isn’t such a big deal, why was it necessary at all? This does nothing to address that, say, its still better to bring along a Mesmer’s Time Warp, than an Engineer with an army of turrets, it just makes a popular ability slightly worse.

Posted by: jrdp.1856

jrdp.1856

Well, what could y say about a WvW patch that we get said be a “expansion” worth of content and only have a new WvW kill grind to get pasives on siege damage and supplies and didnt solve any of the current lacks of WvW like the need to grind Pve for Ascendant items if you need to be on equal foot.

And the best, a patch that crashed WvW and left us without being able to play, well i’m sure that instead one aditional month to test the “patch” they would need another month of delay seeing the results of only one aditional month of testing…

Btw: Anet, you have realy any tester or they are a Myth?

If i say anything about it i’m sure i would be banned for bad lenguage.

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

Well, what could y say about a WvW patch that we get said be a “expansion” worth of content and only have a new WvW kill grind to get pasives on siege damage and supplies and didnt solve any of the current lacks of WvW like the need to grind Pve for Ascendant items if you need to be on equal foot.

And the best, a patch that crashed WvW and left us without being able to play, well i’m sure that instead one aditional month to test the “patch” they would need another month of delay seeing the results of only one aditional month of testing…

Btw: Anet, you have realy any tester or they are a Myth?

If i say anything about it i’m sure i would be banned for bad lenguage.

Your last post was 3 months ago i think your views are not as useful as thoughts playing the game on a more constant time.

It is an expansion worth of update this is simply an amazing patch. Yes there are a few bugs but that how every patch day is for every game that has ever came out. The WvW adds are soo nice to have now you can get gear to use in wvw with out needed to run pve all the time. At the same time the ability to chose how you get stronger in wvw is very nice. So far i can see every one and every thing that i need to. Beyond WvW they added in a lot for the living story a lot for the daily drops from world bosses. This may be the best patch they have put out to date.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

Overall kit nerf to engineers … saddens me greatly.

Also whose idea was it to remove the grenades from the grenade kit refinement…That guy deserves to catch hell.

Cant wait for the next change. Grenade kit changed to mine kit. Mine range 150 units.

Seriously we get it you hate Grenade Engineers, cant you just make the rest of their kits worth a kitten instead of breaking all of them at the same time.

Posted by: legion.7518

legion.7518

Can someone please tell me the size of the patch? I’m on a metered connection.

Posted by: azureai.9764

azureai.9764

Automatic camera rotation while defeated will no longer restart after the camera is moved.

Sometimes, it’s the small things that are nicest.

Posted by: ocelost.4321

ocelost.4321

Can someone please tell me the size of the patch? I’m on a metered connection.

Roughly 430MB, according to the official tweet.

Posted by: jrdp.1856

jrdp.1856

Your last post was 3 months ago i think your views are not as useful as thoughts playing the game on a more constant time.

Please, check the Spanish forum next time you want to make any aseveration like this.

WvW adds are soo nice to have now you can get gear to use in wvw with out needed to run pve all the time. At the same time the ability to chose how you get stronger in wvw is very nice.

stronger in Pvp? you get ascendant items in pvp?, i want some of the same you are drinking please

So far i can see every one and every thing that i need to. Beyond WvW they added in a lot for the living story a lot for the daily drops from world bosses. This may be the best patch they have put out to date.

For Pve player i would say nothing about it, i didnt put a foot on Pve, but for WvW is a joke.

Posted by: Veydar.5017

Veydar.5017

Reading the patch notes is like christmas to me right now. Getting laurels from Player vs Player is something I always wanted but would have never dared to ask for! Right now I am working at least 10 hours a day and doing the PvE daily gets in the way of PvP, which I prefer at the moment.
Therefore it’s no surprise that I am extremely glad that the character selection screen will now show my cool PvP gear instead the level 2 armor my 2nd Guardian (for PvP) is wearing ; )

GREAT JOB GUYS! TYVM!

Posted by: Orpheus.7284

Orpheus.7284

This is the first patch that I totally disagree with, thus reacting so much on forums…I play all 8 classes too so I’ve been pretty tolerant to all the nerfs to certain classes up til now.

- Quickeness nerf…uncalled for in PvE. Time Warp was the only thing that made this mechanic remotely broken. Fun factor also suffered.
- Thief Revealed nerf…drastically reduced melee damage output. Again, something meant for WvW players but PvE players suffer for it.
- Engineers…Fortunately this is one of my less played profession but I wish they Rest in Peace. Last patch with the global cooldowns was already pretty bad and this one i think put the last nails in the coffin with the totally revamped Kit Refinement.

Posted by: Iruwen.3164

Iruwen.3164

Please revert Quickening nerf and just nerf Time Warp instead…most mesmers are fine with this Quickening nerf so they should be fine with a half duration Time Warp as well since it’s the same thing.

Wat. No. It’s not even close to being the same because of the way time warp works (1 second ticks) and because it’s an elite skill on a freaking 240 second cooldown.

Iruwen Evillan, Human Mesmer on Drakkar Lake

Posted by: Aye.8392

Aye.8392

I love it that they fixed the spinning death camera. That is a nice quality of life change.

www.AlchemyIncorporated.net
Sorrows Furnace

Posted by: Gord.8654

Gord.8654

Time warp was OP everywhere. The nerf was justified and won’t be reverted no matter how much people demand it. Moving on…

Host of SOTD Podcast www.sotdpodcastblog.wordpress.com

RebelYell.7132

Time warp was OP everywhere. The nerf was justified and won’t be reverted no matter how much people demand it. Moving on…

You’re not a red poster, so it seems to me you assume way too much by saying it “won’t be reverted”, or asserting that we should, in fact, “move on”.

Posted by: KazNaka.4718

KazNaka.4718

have you seen TW now? it sucks haha. The effectiveness is cut in HALF while the duration is still 10s with a long kitten cd. I love how ANet nerfs something so drastically instead of gradually cough warrior burst dmg traitline cough

Posted by: Katai.6240

Katai.6240

Quickness nerf really sucks the fun out of that skill. I guess I’m replacing it with a signet or something.

Posted by: UnderdogSMO.9428

UnderdogSMO.9428

Time warp was OP as all hell, my guild sall this nerf comeing from mile’s away. Funny to me to see all the people crying about it

Jordy.1570

Time warp was OP as all hell, my guild sall this nerf comeing from mile’s away. Funny to me to see all the people crying about it

7 month ago: “game and classes r balanced”
now, 7 month after release they figure out “hey, this skill is miscalculated by 50%”?
THAN they released a horibble balanced game….
Latest patches didnt tweak a few little things… its changes major things that i think r not accaptable.
balanced but boring?

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

Well, I’m generally pretty happy about the changes to Engineer. Although, there is considerable “discussion” regarding the change to Kit Refinement. I’m thinking some tweeking will follow.

Rangers are once again irate (and rightfully so). Agony resistance to pets is good, but none of the other big changes they were hoping for occured. None.

The Quickness change is pretty huge. I’m hoping it means not every group will feel that bringing a Mesmer is a must and lend way to group diversity. On the other hand, it seriously hampers Rangers.

I don’t WvW but the changes seem to be a good thing.

2 more dungeons. That’s exciting.

Lotsa bug fixes. More than usual so that’s a good sign.

All in all I’m pleased and excited to play tonight. (Just not my Ranger…ever again)

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

Jordy.1570

time wrap always needed a good timing and u took a lot of risk while standing in the bubble. happened quiet often that someone died while it was up.
whats the situation now? is it worth standing in the bubble? imo no…..

this pve is rly simple. no enrage timer etc…. so why should u use it now? its risky and u dont rly need it. it maybe takes 30 sec longer to kill the boss. is it worth the risk? in most cases i would say no….

time wrap and skills like that r FUN. now u just took the fun away. less reason to play…. feels rly boring now….

Posted by: clay.7849

clay.7849

I agree. Of all the things to cry about, a nerf to time warp isn’t one of them. And my primary is a mesmer.

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

They did not utterly destroy any of my builds and they added the name change contract. This patch is shaping up to be a winner. (They need to immediately turn off the titles or give players the option to do so. Being a good citizen of Tyria, I’ve chosen the no title option until they have this sorted out.)

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

@ jrdp.1856
You seem not to understand what they added in. I suggested you play the game for a day or 2 before you make such a harsh judgment.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Posted by: Chuo.4238

Chuo.4238

They didn’t add any more ascended or tier gear. They gave us new stuff to do, fixed quite a few bugs, did some balancing, and left us with the tantalizing tease of more content to come…and they didn’t have to add any more tier gear!

I really really really hope that this trend continues. We’ve got a full suite of Ascended accessories and back items, along with the commensurate grind. I’d be absolutely ecstatic if they came out and said they’d work on making a quality game from now on, and add no more tier gear.

Posted by: Orpheus.7284

Orpheus.7284

Please revert Quickening nerf and just nerf Time Warp instead…most mesmers are fine with this Quickening nerf so they should be fine with a half duration Time Warp as well since it’s the same thing.

Wat. No. It’s not even close to being the same because of the way time warp works (1 second ticks) and because it’s an elite skill on a freaking 240 second cooldown.

The 240 cd is actually quite irrelevant as most boss fights are spaced that much time apart. So basically every boss fight you get to use it on the entire party. That said, if they nerf Time Warp’s duration, they would need to lower the CD.

Posted by: Wonderer.1790

Wonderer.1790

Seriously a warrior quickness nerf that matters mainly in pvp and wvw (killing their one viable build that was good and fun), but a buff to banners which matters mainly for pve. This has to be A-net trolling. Warrior was already laughably bad in everything besides pve. Now he’ll he’s just a literal joke.

80 Thief, 80 Warrior, working on Mesmer.

Posted by: Vargs.6234

Vargs.6234

Thieves and rangers really needed PvE nerfs, guys. All the other classes felt really left out when they were getting kicked out of dungeon groups to make room for these two classes. Anet once again shows that they are completely in tune with the community and have a wealth of common sense.

Thanks for buffing my already exceptionally powerful and useful banner warrior though, I guess? I don’t really want to play this boring class, but if you insist…

Jordy.1570

Seriously a warrior quickness nerf that matters mainly in pvp and wvw (killing their one viable build that was good and fun), but a buff to banners which matters mainly for pve. This has to be A-net trolling. Warrior was already laughably bad in everything besides pve. Now he’ll he’s just a literal joke.

looks like their decisions r made by rolling a dice

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

One of my favorite quotes from Max Schaeffer (developer of original Diablo) was that when it came to balance fun always trumps balance. Many here will see the quote as a problem, but that only indicates that the actual problem is quite widespread. We are heroes in a game. Heroes are powerful. It’s fun to feel powerful in a game and that is partly why we play. And while that’s occurring, of course, obvious peaks and valleys need to be addressed, but a class or profession should generally feel strong…and fun.

There have been occasional mentions of the Warrior nerf through the quickness nerf. Of course that is true. But, perhaps more significantly they have nerfed one successful dungeon team: anchor guardian, berserker warrior, and mesmer. Quickness is significant when you rely on a guardian to grab aggro and position mobs for the burn down. Many here too will see this as a good thing as well. There will be some who see this as a step in the direction of team diversity. But nerfing success is not wise or fun. What will actually promote diversity is significant core work on combat and professions. The nerfbat is a crude tool and usually brings along as many problems as those it attempts to solve.

Posted by: Jeliel.8372

Jeliel.8372

Being able to join WvW maps without getting the world full error would be nice… kitten

Jeliel Firestorm – VII Guild – Aurora Glade
http://www.youtube.com/user/VIIguild
http://www.seventhlegion.net

Posted by: Darthaemos.6370

Darthaemos.6370

I’m so kitten about the TW nerf that I can’t even think straight anymore. I’ll write a better response later.

Birgitte / Graendhal / Aveandha
Death and Taxes [DnT] | http://www.dtguilds.com/