Tier 3 Cultural Armor - Lets reign it in

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

(…)

karma =/= gold … they are two difference currencies and I dont want to see Cultural armor for karma.

If they make cultural armor cheaper or buyable by karma I will demand full refund.

I can make topics where I complain and rage too you know

Why would you, according to you you make enough to buy yourself a piece every day?

Different playstyles should be viable, the only one here seems to be to either play the TP or run certain other efficient ways again and again.
Not the “adventure” and “fun” I perceived from the manifesto.

Anyways, I’m not here to argue with you and please go ahead with making any topic you desire

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

Posted by: Dogblaster.6713

Dogblaster.6713

Got my set after playing ~20 minutes a day for a month. I see no problem.

Really? I find that hard to believe… what exactly can you do in 20 minutes per day? You can probably run HOTW 1 or an AC path, but that’s already pushing it. You can’t really farm much in 20 minutes as well…

That’s a gold rate of 16 per hour (given you started out at 0)

Likely didn’t play much, and dropped a precursor in the Karka event…

Do I see another jealous players? I did buy my cultural tier 3 set 2 months ago. I did make money by leveling, selling mystic weapons for profit and running dungeons, cursed shore. No luck, no exploits no buying golds.

It was easy and I could buy myself another cultural tier 3 in 3-4 weeks if I wanted to but now I am focusing on WvW after I did craft my Legendary

You are just complaining about somethig beeing too hard or immposible meanwhile there are hundereds of players that achieved those things without any exploits or something.

Just because someone is better player and know more about the game than you do doesnt mean you have right to complain here. Its not Arenanets fault

Posted by: Myst.9182

Myst.9182

It’s there as a gold dump for people that have too much money. Keeps it rare for people who want to feel “more important” than others.

Anet is just killing 2 birds with one stone.

Its just a shame for the 90% who really like the gear but will never buy it.

For me, when I see people wearing it, I think… loser. So I am left with a disdain for the gear, even though I like it.

Still it might only take a piece or two to make your toon rock. And thats doable, right?

Dogblaster.6713

(…)

karma =/= gold … they are two difference currencies and I dont want to see Cultural armor for karma.

If they make cultural armor cheaper or buyable by karma I will demand full refund.

I can make topics where I complain and rage too you know

Why would you, according to you you make enough to buy yourself a piece every day?

Different playstyles should be viable, the only one here seems to be to either play the TP or run certain other efficient ways again and again.

Anyways, I’m not here to argue with you and please go ahead with making any topic you desire

Why? Because I did not put effort into someting that is going to be dumped down only because of some whiny players.

You want it? Work for it like everyone does.

Different play styles? You make karma and gold always at the same time but different ratios. You want to buy Cultural armor for karma? Okey but make it cost 700-900k karma for full set.

You want to buy Cultural armor only because you think it will be easyer to farm that required karma, you want shortcut. You want it easyer so you dont need to put such an effort for something so rare and unique like is cultural armor tier 3.

Thats all what it is.

(edited by Dogblaster.6713)

Posted by: Ryuujin.8236

Ryuujin.8236

Not true.

All players have multiple options for getting gearred in exotics – karma, crafting, TP, random drops, dungeons, WvW. Literally there’s no reason any given person can’t find a way to get geared regardless of their situation; there’s your equality.

But a PvE’r can’t unlock PvP gear without actually PvPing. You can’t get WvW tokens without doing WvW, you can’t get a gift of exploration without exploring nor can you get dungeon prestige skins without beating the relevant dungeons; some things are not made to be equal, prestige titles and armour are a way of wearing your achievements on your sleeve and each set of armour; be it WvW, Ascalon catacombs or T3 cultural have different criteria for earning it.

The Ashwalker – Ranger
Garnished Toast

(edited by Ryuujin.8236)

Dogblaster.6713

Not true.

All players have multiple options for getting gearred in exotics – karma, crafting, TP, random drops, dungeons, WvW. Literally there’s no reason any given person can’t find a way to get geared regardless of their situation; there’s your equality.

But a PvE’r can’t unlock PvP gear without actually PvPing. You can’t get WvW tokens without doing WvW, you can’t get a gift of exploration without exploring nor can you get dungeon prestige skins without beating the relevant dungeons; some things are not made to be equal, prestige titles and armour are a way of wearing your achievements on your sleeve and each set of armour; be it WvW, Ascalon catacombs or T3 cultural have different criteria for earning it.

Exactly this. You want cultural tier 3 armor for karma?

What someone else come here and complains and says:

I want every dungeon set for gold/karma/wvw badges.
I want wvw gear for gold/karma/dungeon tokens.
I want karma sets for gold/wvw/dungeon tokens.
I want legendary for … Oh wait I dont, I already crafted one, normal way

You get my poin right?

Everything is set up the way it is for reason and you people shouldnt just expect to come on forums, complain about something that only ’’you’’ dont like and demand change so it fits ’’your’’ playstyles

Cultural tier 3 armor is so expensive because it should remain unique and rare armor. So not everyone will have one otherwise it would not be unique and rare at all.
Same goes for Legendary weapons, you know why a are they so expensive and all? Because only 5% should ever craft them, the most dedicated players in Guild Wars 2. Yes there are always 10x more dedicated players than you. For instance I have 1200 hours played in GW 2 atm.

Posted by: haviz.1340

haviz.1340

I don’t get those people saying you can’t have a life to get those armours. I got two, yes two, sets of t3 armours, and it didn’t involved playing tp or grinding for months. I was just running dungeons with people I liked or even pugs while levelling my alts (I got two characters from 35 to 80 solely in dungeons). Granted, I’m not planning to get any legendary any time soon if ever.

I guess you can say that if see someone’s wearing it, it means he’s a loser (paid in real money or grinded) but I can say the same about anyone wearing full arah or cof armour. They could do shards run/speedfarms/etc. And yes, I got arah sets (in legit way, only full runs, every path done at least few times).

Posted by: Shifu.4321

Shifu.4321

Really? I find that hard to believe… what exactly can you do in 20 minutes per day? You can probably run HOTW 1 or an AC path, but that’s already pushing it. You can’t really farm much in 20 minutes as well…

I can do around 10-20 per day by farming cursed shore or by doing dungeons. If I was lazy and I didnt want to make gold hardcore I could still easyly make 3-4 gold(2-3 hours max) per day by playing casualy.

So if you count .. 130g / 3,5g = 37 days tops (for casuals) and that is reasonable amount of days to buy your full cultural tier 3 armor, one of the most unique and rare armor in-game. In mmorpg that you should play for years what is 30-40 days? NOTHING

Players who want to buy cultural tier 3 armor (the most rare and prestigue armor ingame atm) in one week, legendary weapons in one month should reconsider if MMORPGs are for them because I dont think so.

It should take weeks, if not even months to buy cultural amor tier 3 and it should take months or even years to craft a Legendary weapons. WHEN YOU START to understand this, everything will be easyer

You dont buy Bentley after one month in work do you?

But you play 3 hours max per day. He plays 20 minutes!

Dogblaster.6713

I can do around 10-20 per day by farming cursed shore or by doing dungeons. If I was lazy and I didnt want to make gold hardcore I could still easyly make 3-4 gold(2-3 hours max) per day by playing casualy.

So if you count .. 130g / 3,5g = 37 days tops (for casuals) and that is reasonable amount of days to buy your full cultural tier 3 armor, one of the most unique and rare armor in-game. In mmorpg that you should play for years what is 30-40 days? NOTHING

Players who want to buy cultural tier 3 armor (the most rare and prestigue armor ingame atm) in one week, legendary weapons in one month should reconsider if MMORPGs are for them because I dont think so.

It should take weeks, if not even months to buy cultural amor tier 3 and it should take months or even years to craft a Legendary weapons. WHEN YOU START to understand this, everything will be easyer

You dont buy Bentley after one month in work do you?

Who cares maybe hes saying the truth or maybe hes flipping or buying gems or maybe plays more than hes saying, w/e Point is, its not hard to buy full culural armour in month or less (for avarage, casual players). Its doable with some effort.

Ryuujin.8236

You have to draw a line somewhere.

If you tune the game so people who play 20 minutes a day can get all the nice things; people who play 3 hours a day will achieve everything the game has to offer and get bored within a week.

The Ashwalker – Ranger
Garnished Toast

Posted by: Shifu.4321

Shifu.4321

Yeah I’m not disputing that (I can buy a set now if I want, but I like the COE armor better).

Posted by: Hyper Cutter.9376

Hyper Cutter.9376

Wow, the "kitten you, got mine, " is strong in here. Reminds me of all those idiots whining about inscriptions ruining the value of their weapons when Nightfall was released.

karma =/= gold … they are two difference currencies and personally I dont want to see Cultural armor for karma.

Cultural armor should go for karma because cultural weapons do. Consistency.

Cultural tier 3 armor is so expensive because it should remain unique and rare armor. So not everyone will have one otherwise it would not be unique and rare at all.

So in other words, you don’t care about the way the skin looks at all, only that you can use it to feel superior to other players.

(edited by Hyper Cutter.9376)

Ryuujin.8236

Wow, the "kitten you, got mine, " is strong in here.

And the jelly is strong with this one. Seems to be swings and roundabouts… lets say it now goes for karma. What do you propose they do about the thousands of people who’ve spent hard earned gold on it.

T3 armour serves as a massive gold sink, it takes lots of gold out the economy and thus mitigates the rate of inflation. if you take away the gold sink the value of gold decreases and people start complaining about rampant inflation.

If you refund all the gold taken out the system to date – inflation jumps overnight. If you don’t refund the gold, thousands of players ragequit and write scathing articles about arenanet’s behaviour.

The situation is lose/lose if arenanet does as you suggest

The Ashwalker – Ranger
Garnished Toast

(edited by Ryuujin.8236)

Posted by: Siliconhobbit.4361

Siliconhobbit.4361

No its not, I love the grind for the gold. It gives me a sense of character progression.

When the day comes that grinding for gold IS considered character progression in GW2, you’ll see me quit this game.

Posted by: Siliconhobbit.4361

Siliconhobbit.4361

On a side note: Since I find all of the Cultural Armor hideous in appearance, as well as ALL of the Faction specific armor I have no worries on spending cash for these items. I won’t and never will. I find normal dropped armor skins, crafted armor skins and token armor skins far more interesting and unique then the aforementioned Cultural and Faction armor skins.

With all of the stuff that’s currently available from drops, karma and tokens I have given my characters unique looks that suit the style and attitude of each one, figuratively speaking.

Dogblaster.6713

Wow, the "kitten you, got mine, " is strong in here. Reminds me of all those idiots whining about inscriptions ruining the value of their weapons when Nightfall was released.

karma =/= gold … they are two difference currencies and personally I dont want to see Cultural armor for karma.

So in other words, you don’t care about the way the skin looks at all, only that you can use it to feel superior to other players.

And my statement still stays. Cultural should always be purchasable only for gold. Thats it.

I DO CARE about the way the skin looks but making the cultural amor 3 more availible to anyone, making it easyer to obtain means it will be less rare, unique so it would it would become boring. It wouldnt worth it anymore if everyone second person would have it.

You dont see bentley everywhere do you? If you did, it would lost the uniqueness and you would rather go for ferari, masserati instead.

call me superficial or selfish, w/e but visual thing like expensive cloths, watches, etc. are about prestigue and about proving that you can afford them.

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

What do you propose they do about the thousands of people who’ve spent hard earned gold on it.

T3 armour serves as a massive gold sink, it takes lots of gold out the economy and thus mitigates the rate of inflation. if you take away the gold sink the value of gold decreases and people start complaining about rampant inflation.

If you refund all the gold taken out the system to date – inflation jumps overnight. If you don’t refund the gold, thousands of players ragequit and write scathing articles about arenanet’s behaviour.

Nothing.

ANet will do nothing to refund the people who paid more to get it. Case in point: cheaper, easier-to-get Precursors. Will ANet refund the people who dropped hundreds of gold on Precursors before the Lost Shores chest was revealed to drop them? I’m willing to bet all of my GW2 savings (which isn’t that much, so don’t get excited :P) that the answer is “No”.

Early adopters always lose out over the long-term. And this is fair, because they are paying a higher price for the ability to get whatever it is they purchased earlier than everyone else.

Again though, I stress that my objection to T3 Cultural armor is not the price (which I appreciate serves a dual purpose as a prestige item and a gold sink). I just wish that T3 Cultural armor was Exotic tier (or maybe even Ascended when Ascended armor comes out), because it feels so bizarre to be dropping that much gold on a sub-par suit of armor. If Cultural armor was nothing but skins that you applied to another suit of armor, I wouldn’t have any issue with it, because then obviously you’re buying it just for the appearance. But as it stands, it just feels like you’re getting a half-finished product.

Ryuujin.8236

Will ANet refund the people who dropped hundreds of gold on Precursors before the Lost Shores chest was revealed to drop them? I’m willing to bet all of my GW2 savings (which isn’t that much, so don’t get excited :P) that the answer is “No”.

Little different. Precursor price is set by the players, T3 price is set by arenanet. Suddenly deciding “You know what… have T3 armour for free! – Our compliments” would enrage a lot of people, maybe even see people quit.

The Ashwalker – Ranger
Garnished Toast

Zaxares.5419

Will ANet refund the people who dropped hundreds of gold on Precursors before the Lost Shores chest was revealed to drop them? I’m willing to bet all of my GW2 savings (which isn’t that much, so don’t get excited :P) that the answer is “No”.

Little different. Precursor price is set by the players, T3 price is set by arenanet. Suddenly deciding “You know what… have T3 armour for free! – Our compliments” would enrage a lot of people, maybe even see people quit.

You know as well as I that ANet would never make T3 armor free. :P (Yes, I’m aware that it’s hyperbole, but it’s still a silly example.) As I said before, I very much doubt that ANet will change the price of T3 armor, but they may make it purchasable with karma down the track, as eventually players are going to complain that they have a ton of karma and nothing to spend it on (unless ANet introduces a way that players can convert karma to gold, the same way that GW1 let you convert Balthazar faction to gold in the form of Zaishen keys).

Posted by: Surbrus.6942

Surbrus.6942

unless ANet introduces a way that players can convert karma to gold

They probably won’t do this, as you can already convert karma to gold.

Karma vender greens → Mystic forge → level 68+ yellows → ectos

Just with some quick mental calculations, that’d give you about 1 gold per 30k karma at current ecto prices. Should ectos become more expensive, that exchange rate will only become more favourable towards gold.

This also acts as a large potential supply of ectos that will be made available to the market should the prices get up too high, as more and more people may opt for this strategy.

Zaxares.5419

unless ANet introduces a way that players can convert karma to gold

They probably won’t do this, as you can already convert karma to gold.

Karma vender greens -> Mystic forge -> level 68+ yellows -> ectos

Just with some quick mental calculations, that’d give you about 1 gold per 30k karma at current ecto prices. Should ectos become more expensive, that exchange rate will only become more favourable towards gold.

This also acts as a large potential supply of ectos that will be made available to the market should the prices get up too high, as more and more people may opt for this strategy.

Now this I wasn’t aware of (probably because most of my characters still haven’t left the starter zones). What level do the greens have to be in order for the MF to start spitting out rares when you combine them?

It’s still a bit of a random shot, given the nature of the Forge, but you make a good case.

Posted by: Surbrus.6942

Surbrus.6942

What level do the greens have to be in order for the MF to start spitting out rares when you combine them?

It seems that the Mystic Forge won’t spit out items that are a lower level than the items you put into it. Just playing around with it a bit you can add a couple really low level greens into the mix (increasing the gold:karma ratio) and still “work your way up” to get higher level end products… although this would be risky as a yellow under level 68 is worthless (comparatively to the 68+ yellows who’s price moves along with the price of ecto).

As for how low level is possible for the MF to give you a rare (or any other upgraded rarity for that matter), I’ve never even considered that… since it’s not max stat, unique skins, or selling high on the Trading Post.

If I was going to make a shot in the dark, I’d assume that the the lowest level rare you could MF yourself would be whichever level they otherwise become available.

Posted by: Tim.9850

Tim.9850

When I first played the beta, the cultural armor I saw on an npc is what I really liked and planned on getting eventually. Although that all changed after the game came out and I saw the insane price of it. Now I know I will never be able to afford it.

It’s all I can do to get the 9 gold I need for my order of Whispers armor.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

What someone else come here and complains and says:

I want every dungeon set for gold/karma/wvw badges.
I want wvw gear for gold/karma/dungeon tokens.
I want karma sets for gold/wvw/dungeon tokens.
I want legendary for … Oh wait I dont, I already crafted one, normal way

You get my poin right?

..not really, since i’d consider all of the above to be reasonable options.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

Why? Because I did not put effort into someting that is going to be dumped down only because of some whiny players.

You want it? Work for it like everyone does.

Different play styles? You make karma and gold always at the same time but different ratios. You want to buy Cultural armor for karma? Okey but make it cost 700-900k karma for full set.

You want to buy Cultural armor only because you think it will be easyer to farm that required karma, you want shortcut. You want it easyer so you dont need to put such an effort for something so rare and unique like is cultural armor tier 3.

Thats all what it is.

Sigh

No one wants to take away your precious. The irony is though that you exactly confirmed what I am talking about. You use terms like “effort” and “work”.

This is exactly not what I am talking about. You’ve spent four times more time in this game that I’ve already have – that is ok.

What I am talking about is that I don’t want to be driven into any particular activity if I don’t want to. Now bare with me a second here, I am not talking about earning 500 honour badges or running a particular dungeon nine times. I am solely talking about regular activities the way I like to spend my time in general.

What does that mean – in short:
- don’t tell me I have to make an excel spreadsheet about the most lucrative venues
- don’t tell me to set my dragon timer
- don’t tell me to run FotM now because it will have the best items
- don’t tell me to stand at the TP
(Disclaimer: I am truly happy for anyone who is having fun that way or another, this is not about discrediting anyone.)

I also have an allergy to “daily’s”. The named daily achievement here at least is divided into different aspects and pretty much done in a universal way that does not force me into a particular gameplay. Not so much the monthly achievement anymore – which I’m not complaining about, but I’m not participating either because of my allergy. But I digress.

There is absolutely no problem with making certain aspects more lucrative relative to the difficulty. Making it more then 10 times more lucrative though – well according to some of the reports here – that borders on pushing someone into a particular direction.

You are right that karma does not equal gold – again that is exactly my point as well. This would take a bit too long though, suffice to say that I don’t want to be a part of this “economy” – I think it’s flawed and that has nothing to do with other players.

Let me try it another way to explain this:

PvP specific outfits – keep them (as is).
Dungeon specific outfits – keep them.
PvE I can afford them specific outfits – keep them.
Crafted specific outfits – of course, keep them.

Anyone wants to point a finger at the “omg he can’t afford rich stuff” outfit – go ahead.

Add a bit more flavour and don’t be so tight (not you, the game). Krytan armour, bought it, love it. Some pirate weapons for karma – bought them, love them.

One final thing to think about is, this game is designed to have the precious available for real cash. I could buy them today but that’s not the point. I will buy gladly items that show I bought them – so as to not undervalue anyone’s hard, honest work in this game.

Maybe one really, last, final, point – I love to have a long term goal. A legendary is a great thing to look forward too, I would not want to have it yet – but there need to be intermediate goals as well. (Plus the way towards it should feel … legendary, but that’s another story). I am very much enjoying the “adventure” I am personally having. That is first and foremost why I am playing. Once it becomes a chore and I am opening and thinking too much about excel spreadsheets the magic will be lost.

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”