Titles - Why so few?

Titles - Why so few?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Oreoginal.1580

Oreoginal.1580

Why are there very few titles available in game, especially when there are so many different achievements available?

What are the difficulties of implementing more titles in game?

Or is it just not a priority at the moment?

Parmesan Stick – 80 Warrior – Kaineng
Build: http://tinyurl.com/gw2build-parmstick
YouTube: http://tinyurl.com/YT-gw2parmstick

(edited by Oreoginal.1580)

Titles - Why so few?

Posted by: xCrusadentx.2784

xCrusadentx.2784

There are plenty of titles in the game. I’ve gotten somewhere between 10-15 since launch. How many do you need? 100?

Royal Blood Oath:
We are sworn together by our blood…

Titles - Why so few?

Posted by: Galtrix.7369

Galtrix.7369

There are plenty of titles in the game. I’ve gotten somewhere between 10-15 since launch. How many do you need? 100?

I agree. I really don’t see the need to flaunt new titles that show off your accomplishments anyway. I mean, how many people are actually going to stop the questing they’re doing and think to themselves, “Hey, that’s a nice title that guy has. I’d like to have one myself to show off.”

[~Galtrix~] [~Level 80 Elementalist~] [~GoM~]

Titles - Why so few?

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I like the titles. I certainly wish I could get “Basher” from this event, my warrior would put that on and never take it off. The more out there, the more likely one will exactly fit a character.

Titles - Why so few?

Posted by: Razeor.6271

Razeor.6271

I agree, why so few when it’s a game about kitten and superficial appearance? How else would I be able to brag to strangers about how I’ve salvaged 20k items, killed 1000 insects, run around in x zone spamming F, bought all items in certain categories.

Oh wait, nevermind the last two.

Titles - Why so few?

Posted by: Sokar Rostau.7316

Sokar Rostau.7316

I agree. I really don’t see the need to flaunt new titles that show off your accomplishments anyway. I mean, how many people are actually going to stop the questing they’re doing and think to themselves, “Hey, that’s a nice title that guy has. I’d like to have one myself to show off.”

Actually, you might be surprised how often people do ask where you got a title from.

The primary reason why we need more titles is the fact that so many people use the same ones. Walk through LA and count the different titles people are displaying. I’m willing to bet that most people will have “Been there. Done that”, “Emissary of the Mad King” (or “Master Carver”) and either “Southsun Stalwart” or “Avenger of the Dispossessed” are the most common.

One of the main problems with titles is that, with a few exceptions, they fall into one of three categories: 1) seasonal/Living Story titles 2) Basic titles that everyone can get within a couple of hours of first logging in or 3) overly grindy, incredibly difficult to obtain (in some cases seemingly impossible), titles.

We don’t even have basic titles like Guild Member/Officer, or Vigil/Priory/OoW member.

Is it a priority? No, it’s not. But it is one of those things that allows players to customise their characters and serves to add variety to places like Lion’s Arch.

And to address xCrusadentx: Yes, 100 titles is better than 25 because then you will see much fewer cases of people wandering around with the same one.

Dragonbrand – Reforged Vanguard [ReVa]
Kyxha 80 Ranger, Sokar 80 Necro
Niobe 80 Guardian, Symbaoe 45 Ele

(edited by Sokar Rostau.7316)

Titles - Why so few?

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I’d like to see more “fun” titles, rather than achievement titles. Silly things, like if you fall to your death and get a certain amount of damage, you can a title like “Watch that first step it’s a doosy”, or “Owwwwww!”

Stuff like that would add to the fun of the game.

Titles - Why so few?

Posted by: Tamaki Revolution.3548

Tamaki Revolution.3548

CoH was nice as badge names could be set as titles. If you were a badger, you could have 1300+ titles to choose from.

I personally don’t really care for titles, but I see no problem with them adding more.

Titles - Why so few?

Posted by: pullnointer.1476

pullnointer.1476

I really don’t see the need to flaunt new titles that show off your accomplishments anyway. I mean, how many people are actually going to stop the questing they’re doing and think to themselves, “Hey, that’s a nice title that guy has. I’d like to have one myself to show off.”

that is exactly how guild wars 1 worked. titles were status symbols. you got a lot of them for actually not sucking. that is what we need. dungeon master is the best one atm. gonna be hard tho since there is no real hard content in the game at the moment. maybe they could make one representing your fotm level, so one after 10, another after 20 etc etc.

Titles - Why so few?

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

that is exactly how guild wars 1 worked. titles were status symbols. you got a lot of them for actually not sucking.

I would disagree.
The only thing you needed for most titles in GW1 was simply a high amount of grinding, nothing about skill at all (unless we only count the PvP titles for some reason)

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Titles - Why so few?

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Yeah titles in Guild Wars 2 were for the most part, bullkitten. Particularly at the end. Some were wars of attrition like death-leveling in pre. Death leveling takes almost zero skill, it’s just repetitive enough to die.

Survivor was okay until later when Eye of the North came out…if you didn’t want to do Kilry you could farm the frost worms. It was silly.

How about beating every mission in hard mode? Sorry but people ran hard mode missions….all you had to do was pay to have someone run you.

Lucky/unlucky title, bought with gold. Wisdom title, bought with gold.

Mapping title was easily cheated with text mod. And everyone did it. It took a long time, it was very grindy, but once you had text mode it was easy.

The only titles that maybe meant anything at all were the vanquisher titles and maybe Master of the Eye of the North.

Titles - Why so few?

Posted by: Fror.2163

Fror.2163

Take the wiki : http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Title

Remove the titles exclusive to GW1 (not everybody plays this), PvP (too few people play this) and WvW (the requirements are huuuuge), you have 9 title possible. Add to that the 9 titles specific to events (Halloween, Wintersday, Flame & Frost, Secret of Southsun, Super Adventure Box).

So as of today, that’s 18 titles that are really available to a large public. I’m not saying it’s huge or low: I’m only stating the number.

The number of titles can only rise, as new content will be added. Isn’t that positive?

Frór (yes, with the accent!)

Titles - Why so few?

Posted by: Sokar Rostau.7316

Sokar Rostau.7316

Some of the titles betray that there were meant to be more of them to begin with, but they were removed for some reason. Most (all?) of the WvW titles are Ultimate Xxxx, but there is no earlier title – Ultimate Dominator may as well simply be Dominator. Compare this with the PvP Leaderboard titles that go Challenger>Soldier>Veteran>Master>Legend, which is how titles usually work in games.

Dragonbrand – Reforged Vanguard [ReVa]
Kyxha 80 Ranger, Sokar 80 Necro
Niobe 80 Guardian, Symbaoe 45 Ele

Titles - Why so few?

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

Because GW2 got released like 1-2 years way too early.
Anet so far doesn’t give the system about achievements/titles very much priority.

They are working on other things right now in the first tine and they add just only in the last months more and more achievements / pointless titles, to keep the masses for just some time buisy, until the time has come, where they are able to put achievemnts/titles a bit higher into their priority list for reworkings/changes, improvements and redesigns maybe.

I personally really hope only, that once this day comes, that they hopefully massively rework completely the needed points for all PvP and WvW achievements and rename all of those titles that you can get there, because they all are boring and uncreative as hell to the ULTIMUM pun intended

Nearly all of the description names of those achievemnts sound alot more better/interessintig as titles, than the current real ones.

Example WvW:

Realm Avenger, sounds alot better, than Ultimate Dominator
But I personally would give this achievement for maxing a title like “Ruler of the Mistlands”

50000 kills for maxing is also way too much, killing 10000 people in WvW for this title would be absolutely enough.
But the most ridiculous requirements for certain titles are from other WvW achievent titles, liek the Yak one, where you seriously have to kill 1 Million Yaks, just to be able to be called as “Yakslapper” ..

Seriously ,what kind of dope must have a dev there smoked to come up with this ridiciously idea to let us have kill 1 million dolyaks just for that 1 title???
A task, that nearly no player will ever reach, before we have like GW5 or so….
Because this title alone currently would take you like 7+ years or so of CONTANTLY 24/7 playing GW2 killing every 2-3 minutes a Yak, to get this title done in the said 7+ years !! Whats naturally IMPOSSIBLE.

Im until today also disppointed from GW2, that this game so far really has no titles, that are anyhow at least a bit meaningful, except dungeon master, which shows your effort and what you#ve done in the game already.

GW1 had lots of good title,s wherefrom mostly none got implemented in GW2.

Why has for example GW2 not also a Drunken/Party/Sweettooth Title again??
Sweets and drinks do count towards achievements, but why do they have at the end no titles??

Thats the point, where I heavily do believe, that anet at the moment absolutely doesn’t care about them, because yet they were never any high in their priority list of the way too fast released GW2, which was surely a decision of NCSoft and not ANet…

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Titles - Why so few?

pullnointer.1476

that is exactly how guild wars 1 worked. titles were status symbols. you got a lot of them for actually not sucking.

I would disagree.
The only thing you needed for most titles in GW1 was simply a high amount of grinding, nothing about skill at all (unless we only count the PvP titles for some reason)

grinding too yes, but you needed at least a basic level of competency for the HM titles.

Titles - Why so few?

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

Introducing too many titles diminishes the aura to it. If you have too many, it’ll become harder to distinguish what accomplishment that title represents. A game like Rift had hundreds of titles, and most of them I couldn’t distinguish on which one was harder to obtain.

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

Titles - Why so few?

Posted by: penatbater.4710

penatbater.4710

I actually want to see my own title above my char. When I saw that you couldn’t, I kinda lost interest in those titles =/

Don’t disturb me, I have a cat in me at the moment.

Titles - Why so few?

pullnointer.1476

Introducing too many titles diminishes the aura to it. If you have too many, it’ll become harder to distinguish what accomplishment that title represents. A game like Rift had hundreds of titles, and most of them I couldn’t distinguish on which one was harder to obtain.

this too. gw1 had the perfect balance tbh.

Titles - Why so few?

Posted by: Shanna.4762

Shanna.4762

I for one am all for lot’s of titles. I love RIFT’s title system, they have title’s for so many cool things (the best are from the events) and they’ve got prefix & suffix ones.

Titles - Why so few?

Posted by: Rovus.5428

Rovus.5428

I would love an “Indiscriminate Slayer” title…

“Subtus pennas meas, pinnas meas interitum”

Alatum Interitum

Titles - Why so few?

Posted by: Hamfast.8719

Hamfast.8719

I miss my old Asuran “Not too Annoying” title.

I could go into town and proclaim in local chat "I got my title! I’m “Not too Annoying”! Hooray! It finally happened for me! I got it! I got it! I’m so great at this game! I’m not too annoying!"

Which inevitably brought up all sorts of commentary, of course.

Build a man a fire, and he’ll be warm all day.
Set a man on fire, and he’ll be warm the rest of his life.
– Unknown Fire Elementalist

Titles - Why so few?

Posted by: AngryCat.4825

AngryCat.4825

How many do you need? 100?

Yes.

Moar titles. Nao.

Titles gave me something to actually do in GW1, and GW2 could always do with more activities to pursue at level 80.

Koia
Fort Aspenwood
“Oil down.” “Mortar down.” “Stupid arrow cart.”

Titles - Why so few?

Posted by: Lue.6538

Lue.6538

“Pancake” – fall to your death 1000 times. I’d work for that.

Titles - Why so few?

Posted by: Crimsony.2514

Crimsony.2514

I miss the title for number of titles maxed. It just couldn’t be matched for bragging potential.

Titles - Why so few?

Posted by: Lue.6538

Lue.6538

I miss the title for number of titles maxed. It just couldn’t be matched for bragging potential.

Once more my guild hall must smell of rich mahogany.

Titles - Why so few?

Posted by: HPCraftwerk.5079

HPCraftwerk.5079

Rift did a great job with titles imo, it was just something fun to do/get

http://rift.zam.com/wiki/Title_%28Rift%29

I mean, who wouldn’t want to be : Sheriff of Rock Ridge

Titles - Why so few?

Posted by: Azure Prower.8701

Azure Prower.8701

I find the issue being that achievements that deserve titles do not get rewarded and achievements that require little work to obtain hand them out like candy.

(edited by Azure Prower.8701)

Titles - Why so few?

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

I’d like to see more “fun” titles, rather than achievement titles. Silly things, like if you fall to your death and get a certain amount of damage, you can a title like “Watch that first step it’s a doosy”, or “Owwwwww!”

Stuff like that would add to the fun of the game.

I agree I would already have many:

“Master of Repairs
“It Was a Short Life”
“Dazed and Confused”
“Where the Heck am I?”
“Run Forest Run”
“Please Help Me”

and of course everyone’s favorite “Credit Card Wielder” but this title isn’t necessary as it is obvious from my gem store armor skins, my Molten Axe, Consortium Sickle, my cruising around on a broom stick and high level weapon appearances transmuted onto low level weapons.

The Burninator

Titles - Why so few?

Posted by: Kisses.1054

Kisses.1054

there are also a lot of achievements where the achievement name sounds liek a title.. but it’s not a title. pretty boring to just see the same ones.

Titles - Why so few?

Posted by: Silentsins.3726

Silentsins.3726

there are also a lot of achievements where the achievement name sounds liek a title.. but it’s not a title. pretty boring to just see the same ones.

Yep, some of those achievement names are pretty clever as well… how many dev resources could a request such as the one presented in this thread really take?

Titles - Why so few?

Posted by: Resonance.4216

Resonance.4216

I never take my Champion of the Gods title off.

The “honor” monument in GW1, can we bring that back? The thing that actually kept a record of your achievements?

Elementalist of Oceanix [OCX]
http://www.oceanix.com.au

Titles - Why so few?

Posted by: Wryscher.1432

Wryscher.1432

Something I have often wondered myself. In a game that was designed to have no vertical progression, some of the common sense things people could do or work towards seem to have been left out.

[Sane]-Order of the Insane Disorder
Melanessa-Necromancer Cymaniel-Scrapper
Minikata-Guardian Shadyne-Elementalist -FA-

Titles - Why so few?

Posted by: Tinoosh.5386

Tinoosh.5386

I actually enjoy my HoM title “Closer to the Stars” quite a lot. I do like the fact that they got titles in GW2 based on the effort put during GW1. Got 2 points left until the “Ghostly Hero” title. o3o

Titles - Why so few?

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

Please stop comparing the then 7 year old Guild Wars 1 with the now Guild Wars 2. Guild Wars 1 had almost no titles after 10 months. It had 60 skills accross all professions, it had no dailies, it had no dungeons (aside from FoW and UW which can be now considered as kind of a dungeon, but no rewards, no endchest, no real boss battle etc.)

Guild Wars 2 is a very young title that came out maybe 5-6 months too early. It will grow, it will change a lot, there will be new level caps, new campaigns (remember: 5 elder dragons, only one slain till now). Just calm down, play something else like I do now (for example the awesome ‘Last of Us’ on PS3). And come back and enjoy the game then.

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

Titles - Why so few?

Posted by: nowitsawn.1276

nowitsawn.1276

I think having a lot of extra titles would be a nice addition. A handful of examples:

-Titles based on your achievement points (1000, 2000, 3000 etc).
-A title for each jumping puzzle.
-A title for each world boss achievement.
-A title for completing the storyline.
-Titles based on your Fractal level.
-A title for crafting a legendary.
-New achievements and titles for dungeons (completing it without dying or killing X boss X amount of times etc.)
Etc etc.

Too many titles? I don’t think so. When almost everyone has ‘’combat healer’’ or ‘’southsun stalwart’’ already, what’s so bad about creating a little diversity?
Right now they hardly signify anything (except for wvw titles which nobody seems to have yet). 500 revives? Alright, then. Southsun achievements? Who hasn’t? The achievements are simple (as most should be), but the choice of titles is so low that many have put them on just for the sake of having a title.

If, say, we have 100 (relatively easy to get) titles to pick from, being a ‘’combat healer’’ suddenly becomes a little more interesting. Why would you pick especially that title? Do you like saving people? Now they can actually distinguish you rather than ‘’eh, I have one so I might as well use it’’.

The ability of toggling your own name & title above your character on/off would also be nice.

I shot the seraph~
But I didn’t shoot the thackeray

Titles - Why so few?

Posted by: Patrikan Habaton.2548

Patrikan Habaton.2548

I want my title for reaching fractals scale 80!

first scale 81 fractals

Titles - Why so few?

Posted by: Verdelet Arconia.6987

Verdelet Arconia.6987

A Unique title in the top 100 of the leaderboards would be nice.If you drop from the top 100,it will be changed to another title to reflect that you were once amongst the top 100 in the NA/EU Server. EG I was in the top 100 too, until I took an arrow to the knee

Titles - Why so few?

Posted by: Dondarrion.2748

Dondarrion.2748

They could commemorate seeing through long meta events with special titles too; seeing as these villages don’t remain saved but just get run over an hour after you’ve gone or so, at least you could show a title for protecting all the villages in Kryta at some point, say.
Champion of Kryta, Protector of the Kodan (all events pertaining to helping the Kodan refugees in Shiverpeaks).
And perhaps most basic; why can’t I be, Commander of the Pact, once I’ve done the personal story?
They can introduce titles retroactively, that cannot be so difficult if you’ve met the achievement requirements.

I’m all for adding more titles.. not only Rift does it, but TERA too. And people do enjoy titles; I’ve seen so many people with different titles in those games, the more the merry.

Lord Sazed / Hasla the Huntress / Seaguard Hala
Seamarshal Belit / Initiate Xun Tsu / Mistwarden Roshone
Seafarer’s Rest | Northerner @ Dragon Season

Titles - Why so few?

Posted by: selan.8354

selan.8354

“Pancake” – fall to your death 1000 times. I’d work for that.

with my horrible jp ability, i might would have gotten that achievement already XD

Lv 80 glamour Mesmer Triforce Mesmerpower PU mes,Lv 80 power necro
[AVTR]
Isle of Kickaspenwood

Titles - Why so few?

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Why are there very few titles available in game, especially when there are so many different achievements available?

What are the difficulties of implementing more titles in game?

Or is it just not a priority at the moment?

It’s probably a combination of the game being young, and priority. As time progresses, and content is cycled, we’ll see more I’m sure. Just have to have patience.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.