Too Much Temporary Content Can Only Harm GW2

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: SilvSonic.2691

SilvSonic.2691

most of this content isnt worth keeping past a month anyway. yes id say keeping the new maps is prolly what they should be doing. the problem here is all the new stuff is really simple. those dungeon you wanna keep? hate to break it to you but they arent nearly as good of a quality as the originals. they lack diversity in the form of paths and lack awsome rewards other than what u can randomly get at the end.

Also its good this content is temporary cuz i sure dont want some kid who just got the game in say 2014 to have the flower from southsun that i earned in 2013 when i was playing. it wouldnt be fair to those people that were there that some new guy could get their rewards. i couldnt do most of wintersday but im not complaining. its how it is and i really wanted to get those minis.

as for the LS being bad i say no. it works and gives people someting to do and doesnt put way too much junk content to swarm the players. lets face it if all the content was perm nobody would do much of any of it anyway. everyone would get bored.

this doesnt mean i wouldnt love an expansion

Xamhood: ranger pride and joy.
guard,mes,thief,ele,engi, warr sidekicks.
The World isnt fair. the same can apply to a game

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

most of this content isnt worth keeping past a month anyway. yes id say keeping the new maps is prolly what they should be doing. the problem here is all the new stuff is really simple. those dungeon you wanna keep? hate to break it to you but they arent nearly as good of a quality as the originals. they lack diversity in the form of paths and lack awsome rewards other than what u can randomly get at the end.

Also its good this content is temporary cuz i sure dont want some kid who just got the game in say 2014 to have the flower from southsun that i earned in 2013 when i was playing. it wouldnt be fair to those people that were there that some new guy could get their rewards. i couldnt do most of wintersday but im not complaining. its how it is and i really wanted to get those minis.

as for the LS being bad i say no. it works and gives people someting to do and doesnt put way too much junk content to swarm the players. lets face it if all the content was perm nobody would do much of any of it anyway. everyone would get bored.

this doesnt mean i wouldnt love an expansion

The difference is, Wintersday will be back next December.

Posted by: CheeseJimmy.4796

CheeseJimmy.4796

Temp content has it’s place, there’s no denying that, but focusing so much time and resources into this sort of thing is a bad idea.

It seems to me that keeping things like the Dungeons in a lot of this temp content is one of the big issues here. Sure, people claim that this content will ultimately go unused, but seeing as gear and levels aren’t a factor in the Dungeons in GW2, leaving them in won’t be such a major problem.

If you’re worried about immersion, just have an Asura with a time machine go, “Hey, wanna relive these moments? Hop in my time machine!”. An in game History book explaining all parts of the LS up to that point would be nice.

I’m betting that a few months from now, people will be wishing they could run the Flame and Frost dungeon again, but they can’t because it’s NOT THERE ANY MORE. I missed out on that dungeon and I wish I could have a go at it, but I was still new to the game at the time and was leveling up my first character (and I didn’t know about the up scaling).

(edited by CheeseJimmy.4796)

Posted by: AntiGw.9367

AntiGw.9367

Temp content has it’s place, there’s no denying that, but focusing so much time and resources into this sort of thing is a bad idea.

Please let the developers decide how much time and resources to focus into anything.

I’m tired of saying this, but it really isn’t our business, and such conversations will go nowhere and will only degrade the conversation.

edit: also, please no time machines… pretty please…

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

The difference is, Wintersday will be back next December.

As will SAB, Halloween, Dragon Bash. Why does everyone forget that Colin has mentioned adding some variation of the temp. dungeons we have gotten as Fractals? There are a TON of players that like how fresh all these temporary dungeons are. I love Aetherblade Retreat. I would go as far as to say it is my favorite dungeon in the game besides COE and the Colossus Fractal, but I know that two weeks from today we are getting another content patch that may contain a new dungeon! And today we are getting a new map with a ton of stuff to do!

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

Temporary content, especially when delivered on a two week schedule, is just a bad idea from my perspective. Let’s say you wanted to create a living world in a game, how would you model it? Since humans don’t create ex nihilo they model after our real life world. And, while our world is in a process of continuous change, there is a perception of permanence. The world doesn’t come and go in two week increments. So, I believe the model itself is flawed for evolving a living world.

Second, I have a problem simply from a software development perspective. I’ve long advocated for a longer dev cycle, which was around a month, as it doesn’t give adequate time to conceive, code, and test content. While PTR’s have been successful in other games there isn’t even a time slot to put one in in GW2 with a two week release schedule. In other words quality suffers. And, I don’t just mean buggy code, but buggy concepts as well.

That said, I realize that the two week, largely temporary stuff, works for a large part of the player base and I can’t argue with that. I, however, would prefer that GW2 rise above that. There is a lot of potential in this game and I would love to see it achieved.

Posted by: ColinJohanson.2394

ColinJohanson.2394

Game Director

We’ve said it a few times before, but I want to just re-iterate we’ve heard folks feedback on this and will be doing a much larger mix of permanent, recurring (content that can occur again in the future), and more world impacting releases as it relates to living world in the second half of the year. There will still absolutely be some amount of temporary, in particular story-driven moments to help drive the narrative forward. You’ll also see some of the content previously noted as “temporary” return permanently to the game in the 2nd half of the year.

Three additional notes ->

• As we recently announced, we’re up to four living world teams now, which means they will have a much longer development cycle later this year to build more polished content, and content that can be more impactful.
  • The Living World teams are only a small chunk of the total developers at ArenaNet, we’ll be going into details on what many of those other teams will be doing in a blog later this month.
  • We also have teams working on much longer term projects, which we will discuss when they are closer to arrival.

We’ve said all of this before, but I think it’s good to just put that message out more frequently so everyone understands where we’re going. Thanks very much for all the feedback folks, as always we continue to listen to your feedback and course correct as we try new things in the live MMO space.

Posted by: Tagus Eleuthera.7305

Tagus Eleuthera.7305

should just copy/paste that into every “temp content sucks” thread between now and that blog post!

Posted by: The Talcmaster.7391

The Talcmaster.7391

I think for the sake of semantics, let’s call campaigns from GW1 expansions, because that is ultimately what they boil down to, the standaloneness of them was rarely exercised by anybody in the player base.

Let’s also make a distinction between temporary and seasonal. People make the idiotic bluster of “We should keep the halloween and wintersday stuff around year round so the lazy kittens can do that too” which isn’t the point. Seasonal stuff comes back every year. If I don’t complete all of the achievements this year, then it’s ok, they’ll be around again (and this better be the case). So on to the discussion of Living Story:

1) It is an IV drip of content. People often manage to complete all of “goals” as they come out in the same day. Sure, making things like a difficult dungeon slow it down, but it’s not exactly a lot of stuff, and making people grind enemy slaying titles for longer doesn’t exactly constitute content or fun for that matter.

2) Fun on someone else’s schedule is not fun, it’s work. I shouldn’t have to plan my life around a game. They got better about this since the first couple months where there was some 1 time event. And it’s not even that an occasional special thing is so bad, but this is continual. If I am not playing on a daily basis, I am missing out on stuff that never comes back. I work a job, have a wife, and would like to play other games and more importantly do other things. A steady stream of permanent content would add up. I could do it at my own pace, and get to enjoy all that content when I would actually enjoy it.

3) Temporary content is throw away content. There is a psychology to people making things, especially when it isn’t intended to be permanent. No matter how much people may pride themselves on their work, if it is temporary, they will be more willing to cut corners and lower standards to make the constant deadlines. Even if it isn’t visible yet, it will start to happen more and more as time goes by. Making things permanent means people will continue to take it seriously. If every player from now to the future does it only once, that’s still a more worthwhile return on investment for the developers than what they get now.

4) At some point, a vast majority of the stuff in the game will be gone and inaccessible. Look at your achievement pane and tell me how many of those are tied to things that cannot be completed anymore. Not most of them, but a new set of achievements is added to that screen every month, so how long until there are more temp achievements than permanent ones?

5) Screw people and their fragile egos that need to bar other people from having something to feel good about themselves. Seriously, why does their own sense of accomplishment rely so heavily on other people’s failure? People should be rewarded for skill, cleverness, and/or persistence, not merely having bought the game earlier than other people. If Anet is using this to justify creating temporary content, they should be ashamed. I didn’t realize when I bought the game I was buying a freaking commitment.

Fort Aspenwood – [fury], [SAO], [NICE]
Fun on someone else’s schedule is not fun

Posted by: Calae.1738

Calae.1738

You have quite a few important and interesting characters in GW2 that you can slowly develop to help change the world. Characters need to be important and memorable. They need to feel emotion. Make us fall in love with them and kill them. Make us hate them for burning a major city.

Please try to step away from the monthly Scooby-Doo villain design.

Posted by: Ision.3207

Ision.3207

Colin !!!

Please don’t go away so quick …. hey, can we have a new sever, because we need another one.

name it, “Isle of the Un-Ascended” …. and then transfer all the Carrion and Valkyrie gear players there.

Colin Johanson to Eurogamer: "Everyone, including casual gamers,
by level 80 should have the best statistical loot in the game.
We want everyone on an equal power base.”

Posted by: Marcus Greythorne.6843

Marcus Greythorne.6843

I’d like to add something:

I really love the look of the new helmet we can buy for 250 fortune scraps (or 1 golden ticket). As I don’t think I’m lucky enough I’d like to work for that helmet… well work, ahem, is the word which fits.

Dulfy mentioned that baskets have a droprate of 1/10 (or less) of the fortune scraps. This means that I would probably have to open 2500 baskets for the ticket. In 25 days this are 100 baskets per day.

I really don’t know how to get the helmet without missing the new zone, the awesome looking race, the scavenger hunt,… I can’t play 24/7. I’d have to buy it in the TP for 8000 gems?! omg.

I guess I can scrap that helmet I really wanna have in order to enjoy the content this month. If it were permanent, I could farm it in my own pace and still would be able to participate in all the new content. I really like that there’s always new things to do, but having that new content around forever wouldn’t really hurt the game imho. People would still go to the new event. People would still have to put a lot of time into the basket-hunt in order to get the helmet.

http://gw2style.com/index.php – show your look and rate others – great filters!!

(edited by Marcus Greythorne.6843)

Posted by: Hell Avenger.7021

Hell Avenger.7021

You have quite a few important and interesting characters in GW2 that you can slowly develop to help change the world. Characters need to be important and memorable. They need to feel emotion. Make us fall in love with them and kill them. Make us hate them for burning a major city.

exactly, these short snippets of temp updates are so childish in design. The story aren’t compelling at all, and they hope to attract people affection for them. People do it, because it will be gone in 2 weeks. it does not translate into being fun.

Ision.3207

exactly, these short snippets of temp updates are so childish in design. The story aren’t compelling at all, and they hope to attract people affection for them. People do it, because it will be gone in 2 weeks. it does not translate into being fun.

Speak for yourself, cause I (and many others) like the temp updates. And this comes from a person that primarily does WvW and PvP.

Posted by: Hell Avenger.7021

Hell Avenger.7021

Speak for yourself, cause I (and many others) like the temp updates.

Speaking for yourself, goes for you too. lol

Ision.3207

Speak for yourself, cause I (and many others) like the temp updates.

Speaking for yourself, goes for you too. lol

Oh dear, someone has a lack of basic contextual thinking skills.

Posted by: BobJoeXXI.2493

BobJoeXXI.2493

We’ve said it a few times before, but I want to just re-iterate we’ve heard folks feedback on this and will be doing a much larger mix of permanent, recurring (content that can occur again in the future), and more world impacting releases as it relates to living world in the second half of the year.

So you think recurring content is permanent? Typical ANet jargon.
Recurring is recurring.
Permanent is permanent.
People want permanent content as in content that’s added that will exist year round. Not this “permanent, recurring” content that only comes every blue moon. That is not permanent no matter how many “living world” teams you have.

Apicharr Science [ASci] – Maguuma
80 Necro, 80 Ranger, 80 Warrior, 80 Mesmer, 80 Engineer.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

We’ve said it a few times before, but I want to just re-iterate we’ve heard folks feedback on this and will be doing a much larger mix of permanent, recurring (content that can occur again in the future), and more world impacting releases as it relates to living world in the second half of the year.

So you think recurring content is permanent? Typical ANet jargon.
Recurring is recurring.
Permanent is permanent.
People want permanent content as in content that’s added that will exist year round. Not this “permanent, recurring” content that only comes every blue moon. That is not permanent no matter how many “living world” teams you have.

English 101, a list is comma delimited. Colin was making a list of things we will see in the future:

-Permanent content
-Recurring content
-More world impacting releases

Edit – recurring content is still technically permanent content, as it recurs on a set schedule. It is ‘in the game year round’ but only accessible during its schedule availability period. Only once it is completely removed from the game, no longer to return, would it no longer be ‘permanent content.’

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

(edited by LanfearShadowflame.3189)

Posted by: Lambent.6375

Lambent.6375

I’d like to add something:

I really love the look of the new helmet we can buy for 250 fortune scraps (or 1 golden ticket). As I don’t think I’m lucky enough I’d like to work for that helmet… well work, ahem, is the word which fits.

Dulfy mentioned that baskets have a droprate of 1/10 (or less) of the fortune scraps. This means that I would probably have to open 2500 baskets for the ticket. In 25 days this are 100 baskets per day.

I really don’t know how to get the helmet without missing the new zone, the awesome
looking race, the scavenger hunt,… I can’t play 24/7. I’d have to buy it in the TP for 8000 gems?! omg.
I guess I can scrap that helmet I really wanna have in order to enjoy the content this month. If it were permanent, I could farm it in my own pace and still would be able to participate in all the new content. I really like that there’s always new things to do, but having that new content around forever wouldn’t really hurt the game imho. People would still go to the new event. People would still have to put a lot of time into the basket-hunt in order to get the helmet.

Well, peeps was asking for no rng. :p (actually, I liked the dragon bash system)

Unless we can her back items and helms from the supply crates as well, than again, they are far more costly compared to dragon coffers.

“Caithe, someday you’ll see, Tyria needs me. -Scarlet”

Posted by: Vick.6805

Vick.6805

I don’t mind the two week content release schedule, but I think the number of achievements that are added is overkill. Because I am an achievement completionist, they leave little time to do anything else.

I realize that’s my choice, but that’s what forms my opinion, after all.

Posted by: Galen Grey.4709

Galen Grey.4709

Did 12/12 Sky Pirate Achievements and 15 min Dungeon Achievement in less than 3 hours.
I never bothered doing any other silly achievements because they’re pointless, plus, after first time of completing the dungeon, I never bother going back to it.

I find it hard to believe how someone could get more than maybe 5 hours game play out of the LS updates.

Depends on how you play really. If you did it all in 5 hours its clear you did it to finish it rather then to enjoy it. Take the lighting of effigies for example. Thats content that you can finish in like 15 – 20 mins perhaps if you want to rush it. It will cost you around 2g – 3g in waypoint fees and be 20 mins of pure bordom.

I on the other hand opted to walk from one effigy to the next and do dynamic events along the way. All in all I think it took me like 15 hours that one simple achievement. I had fun and probably did around 2g profit rather then spending 2g – 3g

Then there is the jumping puzzle. Did it on most of my alts too. That took a few hours too. Not sure how much didnt count it. 3 – 5 hrs i would assume. Even did it on an alt that was a whole 18 levels underleveled with a group from my guild. We had lots of fun fooling around and they had to baby sit me a lot of course ressing me each time I died and I died a few time (just so people know if you’re 18 levels underleveled beware you get one shot by everything)

Then there were the caches… some of those jumping puzzles are still nasty even after finishing them a few times. I would say around another 5 hrs there. Then I spend a bunch of time running around the world farming chests off the holograms (not strictly speaking sky pirate content though I did kill a few pirates doing that.) All in all I barely had time to continue leveling my mesmer … so yes its possible to get more then 5hrs of enjoyment out of these patches, its easy just dont rush them

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

Temporary content does not hurt the game. If you’re the kind of person that logs in after awhile, sees you missed 2-3 living story events and then ragequits because you aren’t able to do them and thus can’t “catch up”, then you clearly do not understand the concept of GW2. Who cares that you missed it! Focus on playing the game for enjoyment, if you are only concerned with competing for achievement points (which makes no sense if you play irregularly enough to miss entire Living Story events) then you are treating the game like work instead of a game.

I mean seriously, why get mad that you can’t get the same achievements as someone who plays regularly. You chose not to play regularly, there are consequences to that, such as missing out on content. No sense in acting like a brat about it. <— not saying OP is acting like a brat, just people who complain they can’t make up the stuff that they chose to miss by not playing…

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Galen Grey.4709

I’m a little perplexed. My understanding of the living world was they were introducing new content as a means of showing how the world was changing and evolving. But by removing that content after a short period of time aren’t we just reverting to what the game was before and showing how it is not changing or evolving?

quite the opposite… take the frame and frost storyline.

an alliance of Charr and dredge invaded the Norn and the Charr. This cause refugees to flee the affected areas which resulted in camps setup around tyria to take on those refugees. At the same time the players set out to destroy the molten alliance. The final battle had us storming the alliance HQ which we destroyed. When the event ended the world was set to the state it should be to indicate the destruction of molten alliance. The refugees were still refugees since the molten alliances burned down their homes. The molten alliance no longer invade because they were beaten. The dungeon which was the molten alliance HQ is no longer available cause well it was destroyed. Now I dont deny the state of this is quite similar to how it began but note there are some important differences. Refugee camps still exist and are still scatered around the world and this was important because it was essentially what triggered the next phase which was the mystery of southsun cove.

Those same refugees basically were offered a contract by the consortium who would give them housing on southsun in exchange for work. The consortium basically is falling behind schedule in converting southsun into a beach resort.. but anyhow. Due to this agreement southsun found itself more developed with new villages and new outposts built by these refugees etc.. by the end of that living story even though the refugees have been allowed to leave southsun the constructions remain. So you can see how the world did change in various ways even indirectly by the events of the first living story (the invasion of the motlen alliance)

Temporary content was removed because the story evolved in a way that deemed that content should no longer exist (molten alliance destroyed), Canach captured, Mai Trin captured and Horrik killed etc…

Posted by: Rin.1046

Rin.1046

Thanks Colin. I for one am very much looking forward to both the permanent and temporary content you guys have in store for us.

I do have one request however. Please could you add story content that are driven more by dynamic events? I’m not saying the entire story needs to be driven this way, but the feel of the story should be within dynamic events. I loved the Flame and Frost events that popped up in various places, giving you the sense that the dredge and flame legion were starting to push their way south. But the other stories release since seemed to have lacked this kind of stuff. I know we have had the holograms, but it did not give the same feeling and the events themselves were not dynamic.

I really feel that dynamic events could be an awesome way to push a story into the minds of the players, because they live it rather than read, hear or see it. For example, I love how you get a real sense of struggle between the humans and centuars, and the problems with bandits, in the human areas, primarily due to the dynamic events in those areas.

It’s one of the best parts to GW2 and I feel it is not being utilized to its fullest potential. If we had more of this kind of content, I am sure more players would start to really enjoy the living world content. After all, it is the dynamic events that really make the world feel a bit more alive.

Simplicity is complex.

Good feedback is key to getting the developers to listen to you.

Posted by: Veydar.5017

Veydar.5017

Temporary content does not hurt the game. If you’re the kind of person that logs in after awhile, sees you missed 2-3 living story events and then ragequits because you aren’t able to do them and thus can’t “catch up”, then you clearly do not understand the concept of GW2. Who cares that you missed it! Focus on playing the game for enjoyment, if you are only concerned with competing for achievement points (which makes no sense if you play irregularly enough to miss entire Living Story events) then you are treating the game like work instead of a game.

I mean seriously, why get mad that you can’t get the same achievements as someone who plays regularly. You chose not to play regularly, there are consequences to that, such as missing out on content. No sense in acting like a brat about it. <— not saying OP is acting like a brat, just people who complain they can’t make up the stuff that they chose to miss by not playing…

That’s a valid point. From my very personal view though these updates seem to be all about achievement points and nothing else. Some of the content (Dungeons, PvP Maps) seem to be very enjoyable and possess some degree of difficulty. Lighting effigies on the other hand is – for me – just a mindless task on a To Do list.
You can argue that it’s a viable way to make players spend time in different zones. If someone does what someone a few posts above said, that is, explore those zones, finishing DEs, while lighting the occasional effigy, it’s a job well done. To me it seems like a fairly “cheap” (harsh word, sorry) way of achieving this.
I would be totally okay with such content if there were some more meaningful content to balance it out. Scavenger hunts, difficult story missions and such. I just don’t want to feel like I can “complete” the living story while reading a newspaper because neither the story nor the actual tasks at hand are very compelling. Of course no one is forcing me to feel like that. Some players simply enjoy themselves while doing the LS, which effectively spices things up a little but for some reason I can’t. Maybe I am solely to blame, maybe the temporary content is indeed a little shallow, it’s just my personal experience.

Galen Grey.4709

‘(Feel free to sub in any Show/Book/Game/Media/Etc. if you don’t like Game Of Thrones!)’

I would like to insert ‘EastEnders’, ‘Days of Our Lives’, ‘All My Children’ or any other soap opera. They were pretty successful back in the day with that model. =)

This is the only reply so far that brought up any positive light on temporary content actually working! I can see the slogans now: Guild Wars 2! The soap opera of MMOS!

But seriously, Claiming temporary content is good because it makes people play it just highlights the point I made about creating a sense of urgancy to make the content seem more compelling. If a developer can’t make a mode that can hold a players interest then maybe it’s not that good to begin with.
I could be wrong since I’ve stoped playing WoW but I’d wager players still do Warsong Gultch and Alterac Valley, Mode that were put in 8 years ago.

Sure but WoW doesnt release new content every 2 weeks. How many players were playing Warsong or Alterac in the first 2 weeks of MoP release?

I think its only natural to expect players to try new content and if you’re releasing content every 2 weeks essentially you have new content all the time!

I mean think about it, if they’ve kept all the content released in game, how likely would it be for you to play in the mad king’s labyrinth today, or tomorrow or the rest of this week?

Posted by: Krosslite.1950

Krosslite.1950

We’ve said it a few times before, but I want to just re-iterate we’ve heard folks feedback on this and will be doing a much larger mix of permanent, recurring (content that can occur again in the future), and more world impacting releases as it relates to living world in the second half of the year. There will still absolutely be some amount of temporary, in particular story-driven moments to help drive the narrative forward. You’ll also see some of the content previously noted as “temporary” return permanently to the game in the 2nd half of the year.

• As we recently announced, we’re up to four living world teams now, which means they will have a much longer development cycle later this year to build more polished content, and content that can be more impactful.
  • The Living World teams are only a small chunk of the total developers at ArenaNet, we’ll be going into details on what many of those other teams will be doing in a blog later this month.
  • We also have teams working on much longer term projects, which we will discuss when they are closer to arrival.

We’ve said all of this before, but I think it’s good to just put that message out more frequently so everyone understands where we’re going. Thanks very much for all the feedback folks, as always we continue to listen to your feedback and course correct as we try new things in the live MMO space.

totally support this en devour and look forward to see where the journey will lead us

Warriors are those who choose to stand between their enemy and all that he loves or hold sacred

Posted by: Serenity.6149

Serenity.6149

Not sure who two-week content releases really benefit. Casual players will hate missing out on achievements, skins, etc. , while some of the more hardcore players like myself are getting tired of the achievement/skin treadmill. I would much prefer four-week long content releases, if not some downtime in between as well. Like Vick stated, the game has basically become achievement maintenance (get your daily points, get your monthly points, finish anything else that might disappear forever). Most of the time, the temp content is terribly lacking impact and downright boring, but I do them because I don’t want to miss out on points and skins (Aetherblade Retreat is probably the only temp content I actually enjoyed). Perhaps tellingly, despite the constant new content, the main bulk of the game (at least PvE, since I don’t PvP or WvW) feels completely devoid of content. This is my personal opinion, but I don’t think I’m the only one as both my first guild and my second guild have been decimated by players growing disinterested in the game. While I’m sure this doesn’t mean the game is dying (I see a lot of love on the GW2 facebook page), I hope ANet looks beyond the growing number of accounts and notices the number of early adopters no longer playing.

Posted by: TheDraco.3965

TheDraco.3965

Unfortunately they have no reason to stop with temporary content. It’s a minimum work maximum profit model fueled by people buying into rng. It keeps the gears turning and the cash flowing. If you really want to see a change then simply dont buy gems.

Serenity.6149

‘(Feel free to sub in any Show/Book/Game/Media/Etc. if you don’t like Game Of Thrones!)’

I would like to insert ‘EastEnders’, ‘Days of Our Lives’, ‘All My Children’ or any other soap opera. They were pretty successful back in the day with that model. =)

This is the only reply so far that brought up any positive light on temporary content actually working! I can see the slogans now: Guild Wars 2! The soap opera of MMOS!

But seriously, Claiming temporary content is good because it makes people play it just highlights the point I made about creating a sense of urgancy to make the content seem more compelling. If a developer can’t make a mode that can hold a players interest then maybe it’s not that good to begin with.
I could be wrong since I’ve stoped playing WoW but I’d wager players still do Warsong Gultch and Alterac Valley, Mode that were put in 8 years ago.

Sure but WoW doesnt release new content every 2 weeks. How many players were playing Warsong or Alterac in the first 2 weeks of MoP release?

I think its only natural to expect players to try new content and if you’re releasing content every 2 weeks essentially you have new content all the time!

I mean think about it, if they’ve kept all the content released in game, how likely would it be for you to play in the mad king’s labyrinth today, or tomorrow or the rest of this week?

I think the quoted poster’s main point was more that the interest in the new content is not being driven by the content being compelling, but by its ephemeral nature. It may be new, but overall it hasn’t been very good.

You actually essentially agreed with him/her, by suggesting (true or not) that few players would actually keep playing the old temp content if it had been permanent. If the content was good, or the motivation was adequate, people would continue playing.

(edited by Serenity.6149)

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

Temporary content was removed because the story evolved in a way that deemed that content should no longer exist (molten alliance destroyed), Canach captured, Mai Trin captured and Horrik killed etc…

And yet Zhaitanstill lives for numerous people and Rytlock and Loganremain unreconciled despite the story evolving in a way that deemed that content should no longer exist. Why cannot the molten alliance likewise remain active, Canach remain uncaptured, Mai Trin remain uncaptured, and Horrik remain unkilled for the people who have not, as it were, ‘been there, done that’?

I suppose the truly cool thing about temporary content is that one need not worry about spoilers.

The table is a fable.

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

Unfortunately they have no reason to stop with temporary content. It’s a minimum work maximum profit model fueled by people buying into rng. It keeps the gears turning and the cash flowing. If you really want to see a change then simply dont buy gems.

Minimum work? Really? I’d love to see your explanation as to how adding entire dungeons, PvP game modes, JPs, voice acted cutscenes, new items, and yes even RNG items and then taking the time to remove them 2 weeks later is minimum work. If anything it requires significantly more work to add then remove content than it requires to add and leave content.

I mean really, please enlighten me as to how releasing the Aetherblade Retreat or the Molten Facility (which everyone agrees were legit dungeons) or Mad King’s Clocktower and other JPs and then removing them is part of a minimum work maximum profit model?

Do you people even think before you speak anymore or do you really just dislike the game so much you will just say anything to make the point that GW2 sucks and the devs are wasting their time releasing new content?

I agree that certain aspects of the game could use improvements, but to say that bi-weekly content releases are minimum work is just plain ignorant and makes me sadfaced

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: Veydar.5017

Veydar.5017

Minimum work? Really? I’d love to see your explanation as to how adding entire dungeons, PvP game modes, JPs, voice acted cutscenes, new items, and yes even RNG items and then taking the time to remove them 2 weeks later is minimum work. If anything it requires significantly more work to add then remove content than it requires to add and leave content.

I mean really, please enlighten me as to how releasing the Aetherblade Retreat or the Molten Facility (which everyone agrees were legit dungeons) or Mad King’s Clocktower and other JPs and then removing them is part of a minimum work maximum profit model?

Do you people even think before you speak anymore or do you really just dislike the game so much you will just say anything to make the point that GW2 sucks and the devs are wasting their time releasing new content?

I agree that certain aspects of the game could use improvements, but to say that bi-weekly content releases are minimum work is just plain ignorant and makes me sadfaced

I’d reckon he could have been talking about the quality of the content. It seems easier to implement menial tasks every two weeks than thinking of a truly immersive and challenging addition to the living story. There is carefully crafted content, no arguing there, but also a lot of repetitive fillers.

Posted by: Zavve.8205

Zavve.8205

I love all this temporary content. Always something new for me to do, buy, or whatever. I do not speed rush through the game so I always have tons of places to explore, items to try and get, and games to play. I hope this does not change anytime soon.

Serenity.6149

Problem is you don’t have to buy into RNG to buy into the system. I haven’t bought into RNG since the beginning, but I’m still buying gems simply because it’s preferable to grinding CoF. If you assume an optimistic estimate of 10g/hour from CoF speedruns, that’s $5 USD/hour when the exchange rate is 100 gems : 2.5g. To a lot of people, unless they find CoF ad nauseum to be entertaining, it’s simply better to buy gold and spend our limited free time doing something more fulfilling. Perhaps that’s the reason why every other profitable venture outside of TP flipping has been nerfed (and TP flipping only works when you have a large enough capital base to afford waiting out undercuts, which again means either CoF or gold buying), but that would be terribly cynical of me.

Galen Grey.4709

Minimum work? are you serious? Do you think even just creating something like Not so secret jumping puzzle in 2 months is a minimum effort endeavor?

Consider you need to model stuff, do really accurate collision modeling on them since people need to jump up on these things, build the environment, place everything (decoration and actual platforms) and in a jumping puzzle that must be a nightmare since you need to be really precise in how you distance the objects else it might be too hard/ too easy / impossible, testing it out, create the effects, provide AI for the npcs patrolling around, remodel existent content to make the new content fit in. Create the music for it and sound effects, the npc dialog and test it out. You need to ensure that every survivable fall has a way for the player to get out, you need to ensure thakittens doable, that in no place can you get out of the map (like falling through geometry), that there isnt an unintended short cut, thakittens doable with every race / profession etc.. etc.. And you’re bound with an unmovable deadline. If the jumping puzzle was not completed on time for the sky pirates event thats 2 weeks with a content update that will be very weak content wise since the jumping puzzle was at the center of it.

Compare that with an expansion where you have no actual date commitement to honor and can just work on it until its ready.

I have a feeling they choose the hard road not the easy road and by a long shot…

Also this was just a part of what we had to do in that update (granted it was the biggest part but still)

Take this update in contrast. Try to imagine how much work went into creating that zone, the race, the new skills, the pvp map, the mini game etc… All of that was done in a maximum of 2 months. Its amazing, I wonder if these people sleep at all.

Posted by: Darkorical.9213

Darkorical.9213

Imagine if HBO discovered a way to distribute the show that was 100% Pirate proof, and then deceides to run the show a limited number of times over a limited time frame to encourage more viewers. Their viewers are already invested in the show so they figure they’ll make the effort to watch it. Sure enough their viewership would rise AT FIRST. This is because by using this method HBO has stoped new viewers from getting into the show. Why would a new viewer want to jump into the story half way? Can you imagine how hard that would be to follow? Now put yourself into the shoes of the viewers who HAD been watching the show up until that point. What if, for some reason, say holidays or sickness, they missed a few episodes? Now they have the choice of either carrying on knowing they’ll not be able to experiance that part of the show or to stop watching it. Some will inevitablly choose to stop watching. Over time the viewerbase would drop off and in the long term it wpu;d be harmful to the show, Both for HBO and for the viewers.

a way to broadcast their show so nobody could record it and watch it later… thats called the first 50 years of television** . and guess what that did NOTHING BUT GROW people missed an episode they either used their brains and context clues to figure it out or they asked someone, or they waited till the end of the season to see a rerun… and hoped they weren’t watching a soap opera. They didn’t whine and moan because they missed an episode

• 50 years figured by rounding to first broadcast to 1930*** and home recording via vhs in 1980****

actually 1928
****while it was possible on some other devices such as betamax, and others dating back to 1968 it was not until the early to mid 80’s when VCRs became popular and standard that people really started using them to record and watch shows later.

Krosslite.1950

I’d reckon he could have been talking about the quality of the content. It seems easier to implement menial tasks every two weeks than thinking of a truly immersive and challenging addition to the living story. There is carefully crafted content, no arguing there, but also a lot of repetitive fillers.

It appears he did not read Colin’s post above

Warriors are those who choose to stand between their enemy and all that he loves or hold sacred

Posted by: TheDraco.3965

TheDraco.3965

When I say minimum I mean the required work compared to other models. A subscription model can only survive if your playerbase is interested in the game, an expansion model is heavily influenced by content and reviews, GW2 model is similar to TF2 in that all you need to do is add “skins” “hats” and as long as the game is free players keep buying into rng. That being said with the exception of jumping puzzles the temporary content has been pretty lackluster as compared to the main game.

Galen Grey.4709

I think the quoted poster’s main point was more that the interest in the new content is not being driven by the content being compelling, but by its ephemeral nature. It may be new, but overall it hasn’t been very good.

You actually essentially agreed with him/her, by suggesting (true or not) that few players would actually keep playing the old temp content if it had been permanent. If the content was good, or the motivation was adequate, people would continue playing.

You miss understood me, I didnt agree with him because players would not be playing the old content not because it was bad but because they’d be busy playing the new stuff which is available all the time essentially with a 2 week release window. Not just that but as it was previously suggested player fragementation would make the situation worst.

Lets imagine all content is equally good and equally rewarding (that impossible but lets say its the case for the sake of example) People would equally distribute between all this content. So if you wanted to say play crab toss you’d have a player problem because the vast majority are doing the new content (why would you repeat old content when you have equally good new content?) and for the remaining players some are doing one of the 11 or 12 dungeons, 9 fractals, 1800+ dynamic events, WvW, 6 sPvP maps, some 140 Guild missions, the other 10+ mini games etc.. etc..

lets try to put some entirely assumed numbers so its more for illustration purpose that to prove any point per-se. we can have 500 people per map and we have 25 maps so lets say we have a population of 12.5k on a server to work with. let say 80% will do the new stuff (I think thats a fair amount to consider) that leaves 2500 players. lets say they’re equally distributed between PvE, WvW and sPvP that makes it so the PvE player base to engage in old content is 833 which basically means there is less then 1/2 a player to play each of the above. No matter how good content is there is just too much content for the number of players available when you just have constant content being issued.

Now of course like i said at the start this assume all content is equally good which isnt the case of course. In reality the spread will not be even. World boss events will get a much larger percentage of players then crab toss will etc..

I do think that Vayne has a valid point. Even if all the content was left in a lot of it like mini games etc.. will have a tough time to attract the players. Not because it is bad but simply because the server infrastructure cannot handle the numbers to supply all the content there is with players.

Posted by: Afya.5842

Afya.5842

I like permanent content, but I don’t mind some temporary. One thing I want is when you guys make temporary content, please make it lasts at least a month so we have enough time to play.

Galen Grey.4709

And yet Zhaitanstill lives for numerous people and Rytlock and Loganremain unreconciled despite the story evolving in a way that deemed that content should no longer exist. Why cannot the molten alliance likewise remain active, Canach remain uncaptured, Mai Trin remain uncaptured, and Horrik remain unkilled for the people who have not, as it were, ‘been there, done that’?

I suppose the truly cool thing about temporary content is that one need not worry about spoilers.

Yes you’re right and whats the feed back of players about that? I am sure like me you came across many posts asking why the status quo remains. like say why is Orr not sunk now that Zaithan is dead? etc..

You dont even have to go that far… look at what a lot of people thing about dynamic events! I am sure like me you saw a lot of people argue that the village doesnt really stay saved because it will be invaded again in 15 minutes (even though it will most definitely remain saved for those 15 minutes)

simply speaking some people seems that they don’t accept change unless its permanent.

Posted by: HawkMeister.4758

HawkMeister.4758

You’ll also see some of the content previously noted as “temporary” return permanently to the game in the 2nd half of the year.

We’ve said all of this before, but I think it’s good to just put that message out more frequently so everyone understands where we’re going.

Please just release your blog already, preferably with the announcement of Fractals getting the Molten&Aether Dungeons added.

People keep arguing about the same stuff over and over again.
We really need some clarifications yesterday.

Polish > hype

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

Colin..while I don’t think its necessary for a dev to tell the players how big their teams are, how many there are, whos working on what. Thats for you guys. But interesting any how. Thanks

On topic: This is my personal opinion, I just dont think the living story is catching fire the way you guys had hoped. In many of most posts, I label it as fluffy and inconsequential. Its bad at telling any sort of story. I loved the personal story lines and wish you would do something with that instead. However, these two week-one month bits of story are so disjointed..I could neither care less nor do I even know what is going on half the time, who is who, why we are doing whakittens just not there.

Again, my opinion. I just dont think living story, while innovative an idea, is working and if I were calling the shots, Id wind down this living story soon, and re-assign those teams to other work. But I don’t have the data, the title, or the paycheck you guys do

But thats just me.

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

Galen Grey.4709

When I say minimum I mean the required work compared to other models. A subscription model can only survive if your playerbase is interested in the game, an expansion model is heavily influenced by content and reviews, GW2 model is similar to TF2 in that all you need to do is add “skins” “hats” and as long as the game is free players keep buying into rng. That being said with the exception of jumping puzzles the temporary content has been pretty lackluster as compared to the main game.

I would like to point out that in order to buy anything from the gem shop you need to be playing the game and thats not going to happen unless you enjoy the game. There is a gazillion free to play games out there cheaper then gw2 (you dont even need to buy it the first time) so if all the reason people have to play the game is because they dont have a subscription to pay why arent they playing a game thats even cheaper then gw2?

Truth is in order to sell stuff from the gem shop you need to retain players and thats not going to happen without a quality game.

Not saying everything released has been top notch. The first frame and frost update was very weak for example no question there, fixing signs along the road is not exactly amazing content sure but except for that event for me personally every single update had stuff I enjoyed doing. Perhaps not all of it but it had enjoyable stuff. That means I got something new to do month after month after month. I played 5 different subscription based MMOs in my life only 1 of them had updates every month while I played and none of them had new stuff every 2 weeks. How is it that those games had more work done in the background in your opinion?

And lets not forget that the living story updates are just part, Like Colin said right in this thread there are other teams working on content that takes longer then 2 weeks to develop so even with this 2 week update cadence we will most likely still get at least some of that long term content expansion bring like new zones / new storylines etc..

I am sorry but there is just no way to look at this and claim this takes less work to keep up then other models.

Krosslite.1950

Per Colin in the post above:

“As we recently announced, we’re up to four living world teams now, which means they will have a much longer development cycle later this year to build more polished content, and content that can be more impactful”

His wording states that past temp content needed more polish by him stating future content will be more polished

So to a degree you are correct and Anet now states that there will be better content then we have seen in the past

Posted by: Ronah.2869

Ronah.2869

Have you guys looked at the full zoomed out map of Tyria? My guess is: until we will have all of it filled with explorable zones, we wont see any new continent/expansion.
The living story opens little by little the whole map. It is very possible that the other teams Colin’s talking about are assigned to develop different zones which will be added to the game though the living story.

A casual player who comes in the game from time to time notices thet there are different events happening in the world (top right of interface or mails)
He/she may try to do them or just ignore them if he is not interested, but still the world feels different every time he loggs in

For a professional achievement hunter with a real life too, the game world feels too full of achievements which are timebased sort of, and this brings frustration to him/her
On the other hand, for a professional achievement hunter with less real life activities, this living story feels like a 5h content.

All we have to see now is how are the percentage split between GW2 player base.
If casuals are 40% and the hard-core are 60% then the living story is a semi-flawed concept, but if we reverse the percentage then it becomes semi-successful.
If we make this balance as 20% / 80%, then the living story can turn from totally flawed to totally successful, depending which of the categories are the most.

These statistics are all in A-Nets hands so they know what is best for their game.

Posted by: Destai.9603

Destai.9603

I’m looking forward to seeing how this is turning out, with some very deep reservations.

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

Have you guys looked at the full zoomed out map of Tyria? My guess is: until we will have all of it filled with explorable zones, we wont see any new continent/expansion.
The living story opens little by little the whole map. It is very possible that the other teams Colin’s talking about are assigned to develop different zones which will be added to the game though the living story.

A casual player who comes in the game from time to time notices thet there are different events happening in the world (top right of interface or mails)
He/she may try to do them or just ignore them if he is not interested, but still the world feels different every time he loggs in

For a professional achievement hunter with a real life too, the game world feels too full of achievements which are timebased sort of, and this brings frustration to him/her
On the other hand, for a professional achievement hunter with less real life activities, this living story feels like a 5h content.

All we have to see now is how are the percentage split between GW2 player base.
If casuals are 40% and the hard-core are 60% then the living story is a semi-flawed concept, but if we reverse the percentage then it becomes semi-successful.
If we make this balance as 20% / 80%, then the living story can turn from totally flawed to totally successful, depending which of the categories are the most.

These statistics are all in A-Nets hands so they know what is best for their game.

Im casual..in that I have only 2-3 hours to play per night, but take my toon, gear, class, experience serious enough where I want to do well.

And i hate living story. Innovative but its doing squat to further this game. Very stagnat right now.

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

Im casual..in that I have only 2-3 hours to play per night, but take my toon, gear, class, experience serious enough where I want to do well.

And i hate living story. Innovative but its doing squat to further this game. Very stagnat right now.

would it be better if instead we had none of the living story and ended up waiting for an expansion for over a year? Expansions content will come any way, whether living story is there or not.