Too Much Temporary Content Can Only Harm GW2

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Devata.6589

Devata.6589

Someone brought this up before, but the majority of people from the Golden Age of MMOs (2004 with the advent of WoW) are all now in their late-20s, have careers (most of us I assume) and are significantly more casual than they/we used to be. We are the target market for this game, in my opinion. We have the history of being really hard-core when we were able back in the day and we are the ones that now have the disposable income to support a F2P game that caters to the casual.

But we did not sign up for a F2P game, we signed up for a B2P game where we support the game with expansion, not with the cash-shop and all it’s negative side-effects like temporary content.

Anyway, like Kaaboose said. It seem to be always the same people here (including me) and I think I made my point clear, I am now mainly repeating myself because people don’t read the thread. What I do understand with such a big thread but still.

So I think I will leave it with that.

Posted by: killcannon.2576

killcannon.2576

lol, they don’t target casuals gamers.
Have you not seen the amount of qq on here from casuals gamers?
" I want to be able to do all my dailies on the weekends!"
" I want to be able to do my dailies where I want, instead of how the game says!"
“Monthlies? Ain’t got time for that!”
" It will take me 50 years to get a legendary!"
“I want my 80 exotic gear cheaper and faster!”
" Ascended? Ain’t got time for that, gimme now!"

That’s generally all from casual gamers, but not from casual MMO players. They are two completely different mindsets.

A casual mmo player just doesn’t care about those things, because they enjoy playing at their own pace with their own rules with their own goals, or no goals. They just enjoy playing/hanging with guildies/ doing some content here and there…whatever strikes their fancy at the time. They are generally on everyday, but they are not laser focused on end game goals. They just play to enjoy the game.

Hardcore players also play everyday, but they are much more goal oriented and like to push boundaries in builds and content. They are generally the bug reporters, the top spvp’ers, the players on the front lines of WvW, the ones trying to finish content the fastest and most efficiently, the ones who are theory crafting builds, the ones that Anet invite to their roundtables, and the ones who are testing new content before it hit’s the public servers.

Then you have the elitists, and the baddies (which are different than hardcores and casuals). But that’s a whole different topic.

Casual gamers are the facebookers, the fruit ninjas, the solitaire players, the farmville’ers, the word game players. The majority of them are female and playing on tablets, mobile devices, and the pc. They are not synonymous with the casual mmo player. Not saying there isn’t overlap, but that’s the jist of it.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2012/12/12/only-10-percent-of-game-sales-come-from-casual-gamers.aspx

http://www.polygon.com/2012/10/1/3440698/the-state-of-games-state-of-gamers

There’s a ton of stuff out there about casual gamers, check it out.

Posted by: killcannon.2576

killcannon.2576

Someone brought this up before, but the majority of people from the Golden Age of MMOs (2004 with the advent of WoW) are all now in their late-20s, have careers (most of us I assume) and are significantly more casual than they/we used to be. We are the target market for this game, in my opinion. We have the history of being really hard-core when we were able back in the day and we are the ones that now have the disposable income to support a F2P game that caters to the casual.

No offense to hardcore gamers, I was once like you. Ten years from now you will be like me and you will relish in the fact that a game caters to the casual gamer. You will be hardpressed to find a casual gamer that will pay a monthly sub these days simply because we’ve all been let down too many times. I don’t know how many of my friends (myself included) have made the remark “If it was free I’d play it, but I’m not spending $15/mo on a game that I barely log into or get bored of”. Many of us have made this comment.

People talk about MMOs like they’ve been established for centuries and they understand the nuances of growing one. They act as though the customer base for MMOs never changes. The genre itself is a young genre, the player base changes with time as it ages. Incomes change, play-styles change, tastes change, time available changes. Things that were once novel and awesome are boring and repetitive. The ex-hardcore players don’t want the same stuff we’ve been playing for the last decade+. We don’t want all of the new players who haven’t been playing MMOs for a decade+ complain that GW2 isn’t like this game or that game, or they don’t like how it doesn’t cater to their playstyle.

I get it! I really do! Ten years ago GW2 would have bored the crap out of me. In fact, GW1 bored the crap out of me when I first played it. I couldn’t really appreciate it because I was too focused on being hard-core and doing everything hard-mode.

The hard-core gamers are the most vocal and think they are the focus, when in reality the generation ahead of them is larger and more likely to stay for the long-term. Anet isn’t paid per hour you play, they are paid if you spend money on the store and through box sales. Someone who logs on 1hr/day and makes one gem purchase a month is far more valuable than someone who plays 8hrs/day and never purchases anything. Yet the 8hrs/day person complains the most and feels the most entitled.

Hate to say it but GW2 just might not be for you. In the most literal sense possible.

Not quite.

To put it simply, the one hour a dayers are probably more of a detriment to the game than someone who never buys a single gem.

The reason? Static population.

Populated MMO’s sell better and attract more players than unpopulated ones, players who will buy gems, purchase boxes, and populate the world even more. The players who are here the most are the ones who populate the world and make it seem alive. They are the ones driving the game and keeping it alive, not the one hour a dayers. A populated world makes happy players who advertise by word of mouth that the game is alive and thriving, and they get other people to buy the game, and spend some money on gems too. You start losing the static population and it’s only a matter of time before your MMO is running on one server and it’s a running joke in another mmo’s forums. WoW is finding this out now.

Not to say that the one hour a dayers who spend some cash on the gem store aren’t also important, but it takes a lot more than a random player buying 10 dollars in gems to make it successful. The publishers don’t want players who don’t play (even if they do spend money at the gemstore), they want players who are in game, doing content, putting names on the lfg, doing the LS content, making overflows, populating WvW, running tournaments, making builds, standing in LA chatting, helping other players, making guilds, buying private arenas, showing off the gemstore content, filling the Trading Post with goods, doing the Dynamic Events, making new toons…..and also buying gems

(edited by killcannon.2576)

Posted by: Ronah.2869

Ronah.2869

I dont want an expansion either. I’d rather see new zones, races, weapons, etc introduced with this living story mechanic. It is much worth it then a regular expansion because keeps people busy ever 2 weeks and not like rushers finishing the whole map and getting the legendary in 2 months and then complaining there is no endgame

Posted by: etiolate.9185

etiolate.9185

There are people who would complain that they come back and there’s a ton of content that is overwhelming.

They may also complain that the new content that was added months ago while they were away is now empty and there is nobody who will play it with them. (Sort of like going to Southsun outside of a relevant LS update.)

It should also be understood that the Living Story is a content delivery method and philosophy, not just a single feature that "has taken over the game’. The “Living World” may end up being an unfortunate choice of words by PR. What Living Story/World means is that patches will follow a story rather than just appear.

This doesn’t mean I am against there being more permanent content. I am all for that. I believe everyone, including ANet, sees the current ratio of temporary to permanent content as unsatisfactory.

You dont get it at all. This content was temorary , thats why there are no people there . You cant get anything there anymore. Thats why noone plays it. Temporary

This is not true. Most of what was added to Southsun outside of the magic find boost and the crab toss is still there. The new events, the NPCs, the growth of ‘settling’, and the big meta boss are still there.

Zed Zebes – SBI Mesmer

Devata.6589

Some big news.. if they keep there word.

Collin said:
“They will permanently upgrade the game and the world so everybody can experience that. The Story will go away but the change will last forever.”

This it not literally his words but it is literally what he was saying.

Have a look here: http://www.twitch.tv/guildwars2/c/2585362 it’s a 3 minutes.

So the story will go away but the changes and upgrades to the game will stay. Items, rewards, dungeons are for sure not ‘the story’ but are part of the upgrades / changes so they will stay. Thats great news.

Achievements are still a little in the dark. They will stay but can still be linked to the items (with exception of those that give a reward as thats part of the changes / upgrades). So with a little bid of luck they will also all be linked to the non-temporary stuff.

I still need to see it first but I hope they keep there promises. This would be great news for GW2.

They also said the MF and AR are coming back in the fractals. I do hope they will not come back as part of a the dungeons in fractals like they are now where it’s just one of the 3 / 4 dungeons, and I also hope they still have the same rewards because else it would still not be very good but they also said they would change fractals so it’s very possible that you can simply select what fractal you like to do and are not required to do 3 or 4 of them. So lets see about that.

And what gave me more trust in this statement is that they also seem to backing up to the idea of no expansion.. Where they first said they wanted to do it with the living story now it is still “undecided”.

So lets hope they decide to go for expansions. Then they can also keep there promise on only having the story itself temporary.

(edited by Devata.6589)

Posted by: Appoh.2875

Appoh.2875

<3 Kaaboose. I totally agree

Posted by: Shao.7049

Shao.7049

Two words: Sentinel’s Inscription!

Follow the virtues of your heart

Posted by: Krosslite.1950

Krosslite.1950

Collin said:
“They will permanently upgrade the game and the world so everybody can experience that. The Story will go away but the change will last forever.”

So the story will go away but the changes and upgrades to the game will stay. Items, rewards, dungeons are for sure not ‘the story’ but are part of the upgrades / changes so they will stay. Thats great news.

Achievements are still a little in the dark. They will stay but can still be linked to the items (with exception of those that give a reward as thats part of the changes / upgrades). So with a little bid of luck they will also all be linked to the non-temporary stuff.

I still need to see it first but I hope they keep there promises. This would be great news for GW2.

They also said the MF and AR are coming back in the fractals. I do hope they will not come back as part of a the dungeons in fractals like they are now where it’s just one of the 3 / 4 dungeons, and I also hope they still have the same rewards because else it would still not be very good but they also said they would change fractals so it’s very possible that you can simply select what fractal you like to do and are not required to do 3 or 4 of them. So lets see about that.

And what gave me more trust in this statement is that they also seem to backing up to the idea of no expansion.. Where they first said they wanted to do it with the living story now it is still “undecided”.

So lets hope they decide to go for expansions. Then they can also keep there promise on only having the story itself temporary.

this is the point many of us have been stating all along in this thread Devata

Warriors are those who choose to stand between their enemy and all that he loves or hold sacred

Devata.6589

Collin said:

this is the point many of us have been stating all along in this thread Devata

What is? That Anet would maybe change there mind / tactic? I never disagreed on that. But they will not change it when people don’t speak up.

Posted by: Aevic.9675

Aevic.9675

Stopped playing after Dragon Bash again for the 3rd time now.

-No permanent content = bad I feel alienated and left out because I can’t see all the content or have any idea what’s been happening

-Gear is still a real issue in this game for me. I’ve been stuck with rares for a while and getting a group to go farm exotics is a hassle for me for when I play. Spamming LFG XXX dungeon all night brings me nothing which brings me to another issue

-No LFG tool still? I might consider playing again if more convienence was added to this game. Like I said it still feels like a hassle to have or feel like you are on level with everyone else if you only play casually like I do.

Posted by: RatsoRizzo.1984

RatsoRizzo.1984

Plain and simple, this is too much like a job stacking this crap on every two weeks, I will be working and not earning anything decent. (A cinematic as a reward???) To get anything cool you have to buy from the gem store, then again in two weeks, then again.
Simple as that, argue all you want, my point is completely valid.

Devata.6589

-No permanent content = bad I feel alienated and left out because I can’t see all the content or have any idea what’s been happening

-Gear is still a real issue in this game for me. I’ve been stuck with rares for a while and getting a group to go farm exotics is a hassle for me for when I play. Spamming LFG XXX dungeon all night brings me nothing which brings me to another issue

-No LFG tool still? I might consider playing again if more convienence was added to this game. Like I said it still feels like a hassle to have or feel like you are on level with everyone else if you only play casually like I do.

First one is just a fact but according to Collin’s last interview the content will be permanent only the story will be temporary but still viewable. If it’s really like thats, thats great.

Exotic gear cost about 3 gold per item. Thats doable I think.

LFG is also coming soon. They are already testing it in there internal beta servers.

Posted by: Warjin.8942

Warjin.8942

I also stopped playing because of all of the above, I dislike temp content unless it’s seasonal also lack of LFG tool big mistake, if they want to target casual players then a LFG tool is a MUST not temp content of what ever bull they are telling us.

1. I will tell you this, for me to come back and play everyday I need a LFG tool, I am a causal solo player 90% of the time, I only enjoy talking to people if I have to, like if I group or I am doing tpvp, other then that I do not want to spam in chat nor use a web site.

2. Temp content is a JOKE unless it’s some seasonal event, I want to progress at my own pace not A-Nets pace, (I have a real life you know)

Devata.6589

I dont want an expansion either. I’d rather see new zones, races, weapons, etc introduced with this living story mechanic. It is much worth it then a regular expansion because keeps people busy ever 2 weeks and not like rushers finishing the whole map and getting the legendary in 2 months and then complaining there is no endgame

You are defending 2 week patches, not temporary content plus you can have regular patches including expansions. But with the expansions the need for temporary content is gone. No need to try and pressure people to buy gems and so on.

Complains about end-content stay, the 2 weeks content are not considered end-content by many people and while we already have it I still here people complaining about it So that will not take those complains away.

A thing I did not mention before because I don’t have the numbers but I am pretty sure that all temporary content gets people burned out faster. I think that would even be the case when it was not temporary but with temporary even more because they have more pressure to do it now. And if they then leave because they are burned out it’s less likely they come back because they missed a lot of content.

Anyway, good that you came here for that discussion. The other thread you placed it was not so good for that.

(edited by Devata.6589)

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

The fact that I did 16/16 Bazaar Achievements in less than 3 days doesn’t help either.
Hell, I’m not even rushing or using any guide, everything’s too simplistic.
And what should I do now? Wait another week till I get other 5 hour content update?
How about adding new HARD permanent repeatable dungeons?
Is it too hard to create a decent hard content for players that want an actual challenge? Is 1% Hardcore 99% Casual content division unfair?

As has been established elsewhere the casual player is between 30 -60 years of age and has the most disposable income while the average age of a hardcore player is 20 years of age has has the least amount of disposable income.
If you ran a business which group would you target?
Most would answer those with the most money to throw away.
That is what Anet has done… so get use to it, or learn to be a casual player soon then later. Because trust me unless you die at 25 you will become one.

EDIT: Real Live always wins. A pretty woman becomes more important then a game. Then a job that pays enough to give you a disposable income comes into play. Then kids who start to not only suck up that income but your remaining time. As it is gamers that have been around for around twenty years is no longer the oddity but the norm. Anet knows this. That is why this game is causal player centric.

I’m looking for it, and I can’t find your “claim” established anywhere. More propaganda.

http://www.advisorperspectives.com/dshort/updates/Household-Incomes-by-Age-Brackets.php

http://ocw.metu.edu.tr/pluginfile.php/2372/mod_resource/content/1/ColeGriffiths.PDF

kill… let me know when you are going to stop being the pot calling the kettle back please. I would appreciate it

I’m assuming you didn’t bother to read that, because it actually disproves your theory. Thanks.

Casual gamer studies are generally involved with mobile technology, and or social media games.

For broad terms in gaming: Casual gamers don’t play mmo’s
For broad terms in MMO’s: Casual players don’t have anything to do with time investment, but a playstyle.
For a Broad look at what MMO publishers want their players to do: They want players to log in every day and play. MMO publishers don’t want casual gamers from the broader spectrum of the game populace. MMO’s attract and are fed by gamers who are attached to the game, are invested, and who want to play. Not people who log in once a week, or weekenders.

MMO’s are never and will never be targeted at a casual gamer.

talk about propaganda

come on killcannon… documentation…

You have more then once tried to peck this on me and then you make an inflammatory statement like above. back it up man

It’s common knowledge. Casual gamer does not equal an mmo casual player. The articles you linked give the data, read em.

That is not “common knowledge”
That is the common assumption.

My point is that they targeting consumers between 25 and 55 where the most disposable income is and most of the casual players

All very interesting but it does not make temporary content any better.

Nor does it make it any worse. Just saying.

RatsoRizzo.1984

You people do not need to “theory craft” the bottom line.
Special events bring in all the players. Why just have holiday events when you can do them every two weeks and add new store items each time.

“Martin, Amity is a summer town…we need summer dollars.”

Posted by: Sweetbread.2679

Sweetbread.2679

I have to agree with the OP. I would PvE more, but it all seems more like an obligation than a game right now. Every day is a daily that’s boring, takes too long to do, and completely wipes for the next day even if you have 99% of it done. Every month is just a new living story event that’s essentially just a to do-list of pinatas or pumpkins to break that’s boring, takes too long to do, and completely wipes from existence if you don’t do it RIGHT NOW.

I don’t mind having some grindy fluff content every now and then as long as you can do it at your own pace, but good lord pve in this game is just a second job of nothing but endless busywork on a deadline right now.

RatsoRizzo.1984

Sweet I tried but couldn’t have said it better. I resign from this new career training as a game tester. I blame lack of pay. If I want an animation of the dumb*** sky boat I’ll go to you tube.

Posted by: Anwrath.6409

Anwrath.6409

I know it was written many times but… They made this game to a heavy grinding game. I think slowly most of the working peoples will lose the interest and start searching different games. Why? Simple we don’t have time for hardcore gaming and that’s leads to: missed one time achi, missed rewards, hard to found group for old content (players just swarming new content), and grinding makes you feel like it’s a job not a game not mentioning the left behind feeling...

I think with this fast world expanding ANET will lose more people what will win.
----
BTW i have the feeling this all is not "for the gamers" it’s all about business they want "micro payment" / 2 week. Just see the market: new fun items just for 2 weeks + free stuff if you buy gem on that 2 week period...

Posted by: Wolfheart.1938

Wolfheart.1938

2 week period? More like 4 months. Let’s get informed shall we. And how dare they gift their supporters unannounced and unadvertised fluff items!!! So greedy!

(sorry for the off topic)

“We have no first-person view because stupid people would lock into it”
“You can’t have more than 10 HS decks because that would confuse people”
“30 fps is more cinematic”

Posted by: Anwrath.6409

Anwrath.6409

2 week period? More like 4 months. Let’s get informed shall we. And how dare they gift their supporters unannounced and unadvertised fluff items!!! So greedy!

(sorry for the off topic)

OFF
What are you talking about ? We get new content and new items in shop…
And yes if i give you a free candy if you buy something from me that’s nothing more just tying… and the only reason is to lure you to spend money. Its a basic business trick.
ON

(edited by Anwrath.6409)

Posted by: Firefly.5982

Firefly.5982

I’d like to see temporary content from time to time, that leads to permanent content. Like the Southsun Events, that gave us a new zone. Armors and weapons from temporary content should ALWAYS be permanently available after the temporary content that brought them is over. Same for zones. I am so sad that I am at the point, where I feel pressured to ply every day. I don’t have the time, but I really don’t want to miss out on all the cool stuff! I love this game, been with GW for a long time and would hate to, in 5 years, see how I missed half of the content because I had to…work OMG!

Yeah. Temporary content from time to time is fine – seasonal events for example. But temporary content every 2 weeks and no chance to ever catch your breath is absolutely bleh.

Posted by: Kaaboose.3897

Kaaboose.3897

Collin said:

I like what I’m hearing there. Now I’ll just sit back and hope Anet delivers.

Devata.6589

Collin said:

I like what I’m hearing there. Now I’ll just sit back and hope Anet delivers.

I was just reading the information about the upcoming patch but I am not sure what to think about it.

Exclusive New Back Items

Two new exclusive back items, the Desert Rose and Zephyr Rucksack, are available as rare drops from the Southsun Survival and Aspect Arena activities respectively.
Mini Ellen Kiel and Mini Evon Gnashblade

Complete the Gnashblade Supporter and Kiel Supporter meta achievements to unlock a miniature Evon Gnashblade and Ellen Kiel of your very own!

The Exclusive back items can drop from the mini-games and Anet said that the mini games would rotate (Looking at the description of the Ellen and Evon it looks like Only if Ellen wins they will rotate them all while with Evon only the popular ones will be rotated?) so those drops and those mini-games will most likely indeed stay available (IF Ellen wins).

However the achievements are about supporting Ellen and Evon so those will go away when one is selected meaning that also those mini’s (additions to the game) will be temporary content (temporary available) and Colin is not keeping his word here?

If they would link the achievements to the outcome of the voting (and so be permanent available) then the reward / mini’s would also not be only temporary available leaving only the story temporary like Colin said. We have to wait and see to be sure but when reading that I can only come to this conclusion.

In addition to that they are also introducing more time-gated content what in my eyes is the same as temporary content. We already had the daily achievements (I see that as temporary because you can only get that one laurel that one day, the day after you mist a laurel you can not get anymore) they now added the same with fusing crystal and in the blog about the second half of 2013 https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/looking-ahead-guild-wars-2-in-2013/ they said they would introduce some new crafting material that is only available for an x amount per day.

I don’t know if other people look at it the same way but there ware also a lot of complains about the laurels when they where introduced.

(edited by Devata.6589)

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

At the rate Anet is releasing “time-gated” content, if they left everything in the game, people would simply fall hopelessly behind.

Some people see not doing this content as falling behind. Some people seeing have a huge backlog of stuff to do that they’ll never have time to do falling behind.

Different people will feel pressured for different reasons. I’m not sure anyone can say with any certainty which group of players is bigger.

But I suspect after 26 updates in a year, the amount of catching up to do would put most people off….assuming they didn’t have the time to keep up to begin with.

I mean it sounds to me like some people are complaining they don’t have time to do the temp content when it’s here, but they think they’ll somehow magically have the time four months from now when there’s been 8 full updates.

Posted by: Galen Grey.4709

Galen Grey.4709

@Devata

Colin never said everything is going to be permanent and more then that keep in mind some of the stuff we’re seeing now has started development 2 months ago and possibly designed prior to that too. So it might take some time before the more permanent stuff kicks in. As for mini game rotation I dont know but if people go for Evon and indeed his promise of only popular mini-games will be rotated (could also be simply a different way of expressing themselves and indeed they’re just the same promise worded different just so it doesnt seem they’re repeating each other) is meant that we get less mini games to rotate, it doesnt mean that choice is final. maybe they’ll have some other excuse to get the rest in. For example it could be that what they plan for Abaddon’s fall has a great scope that the reactor going boom so they’ll have res resources to devote for mini games and this is just buying them some time who knows.

I dont agree with the time gating thing. This is currently being discussed in this thread:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/reason-behind-time-gating-quartz/page/2#post2461158

but in short theory is this is being done so Anet can introduce ascended gear crafting, have it in line with the other methods of acquisition (30 days to get 1 piece) without forcing people to grind a huge amount of mats which is what they’d need to do if they wanted hardcore players to crafting something with a 30 day effort. If thats the case I think its a good choice. The alternative would be casual players would be unable to get the mats necessary for a single item which would be much much worst imho.

Devata.6589

At the rate Anet is releasing “time-gated” content, if they left everything in the game, people would simply fall hopelessly behind.

Some people see not doing this content as falling behind. Some people seeing have a huge backlog of stuff to do that they’ll never have time to do falling behind.

Different people will feel pressured for different reasons. I’m not sure anyone can say with any certainty which group of players is bigger.

But I suspect after 26 updates in a year, the amount of catching up to do would put most people off….assuming they didn’t have the time to keep up to begin with.

I mean it sounds to me like some people are complaining they don’t have time to do the temp content when it’s here, but they think they’ll somehow magically have the time four months from now when there’s been 8 full updates.

I would say that most people who feel pressured to keep up, want to keep up (else they would not feel pressured to do so) and while it would be very hard they still could if it was not temporary however now they can’t.

No people don’t have magically more time. People have vacations and more busier and less busy periods no magic needed for that. Then next to the problem of ‘keeping up’ there is the problem of ‘I like that back-piece.. where can I get that.. You can’t". So it’s also bad for people who don’t want to keep up because for them items are not available anymore.

(edited by Devata.6589)

Devata.6589

@Devata

Colin never said everything is going to be permanent and more then that keep in mind some of the stuff we’re seeing now has started development 2 months ago and possibly designed prior to that too. So it might take some time before the more permanent stuff kicks in. As for mini game rotation I dont know but if people go for Evon and indeed his promise of only popular mini-games will be rotated (could also be simply a different way of expressing themselves and indeed they’re just the same promise worded different just so it doesnt seem they’re repeating each other) is meant that we get less mini games to rotate, it doesnt mean that choice is final. maybe they’ll have some other excuse to get the rest in. For example it could be that what they plan for Abaddon’s fall has a great scope that the reactor going boom so they’ll have res resources to devote for mini games and this is just buying them some time who knows.

I dont agree with the time gating thing. This is currently being discussed in this thread:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/reason-behind-time-gating-quartz/page/2#post2461158

but in short theory is this is being done so Anet can introduce ascended gear crafting, have it in line with the other methods of acquisition (30 days to get 1 piece) without forcing people to grind a huge amount of mats which is what they’d need to do if they wanted hardcore players to crafting something with a 30 day effort. If thats the case I think its a good choice. The alternative would be casual players would be unable to get the mats necessary for a single item which would be much much worst imho.

No Colin said the story would change the world and then as result of that change there is a chunk of new content and that will stay permanent. http://www.twitch.tv/guildwars2/c/2585362 5:09.

A mini / reward is content, not a story.

Maybe indeed it takes them longer but Colin said we would see that in the upcoming living story content. If it would indeed take longer before we would see that then I would have appreciate it if he would have given a date for it.

Somewhere else in the game he even links it to the moment when we Karka attacked the tower and then how we later when into Southsun Cove. And while when defeating the queen there was a unique items ((A 20 slot bag and a accessory) No skin just some rare stats on the accessory but not perse very good stats) except for that there where no temporary available achievements or rewards for being there the moment we got attacked by the karka or the moment we went to Southsun Cove. It’s just the being there experience.

And the moment the karka attack us or the moment we go there is a good example that I also used before in this thread. The story is temporary (but would be nice to see back anyway) however the content is the result of that story. I was very pleased with what Colin said but reading the text about next patch it looks to not be like that. Anyway, we will see.

About the Evon thing.. yeah you might be right.. thats why I put a ? behind that. But if it is indeed the same then why put it on the list? Because then they are both saying the same and there is no need to put in on a list where we are choosing between.

About time-gated content. Well it’s pretty much the same as temporary content so of course you disagree with me as we disagree on that point. I did read you comment but I don’t see how it is valid. You say it is to put people on a same paste because else it would be like if one person is in a jet fighter while another is walking. However you still have that. The person who is able to do it every day is the jet fighter while the person who can do it only once a week is the walking man.

You also say how you want them tat it takes a x amount of time but is still takes the same time the difference is that you have to spread the for example 1 hour it takes over 10 days to get to your goal and thats not good. Those who can play every day will have it after 1,5 week while for those playing only in the weekends is takes them 2,5 months. Even if on total hours they play more. I don’t think that is good nor it’s fair and it’s yet something else that pressures to be online daily while enough people don’t like to be pressured.

About what you say here, so it’s to prevent to require a lot of grinding they can implement both ways. So if you want to grind for it (maybe because you have a lot of time during the weekend (or because thats what you like) but not in the weekend you can go for that while if you are online on a daily bay you can do it the other way. If they would do it like that there would be 2 ways to do it. And it would be simple to implement. Just make the crafting always available but the first 3 times it gives you for example 10 of it while after that it gives you a max of 3. Then people have options and the content it not time-gated anymore.

(edited by Devata.6589)

Galen Grey.4709

No Colin said the story would change the world and then as result of that change there is a chunk of new content and that will stay permanent. http://www.twitch.tv/guildwars2/c/2585362 5:09.

A mini / reward is content, not a story.

A Mini / Reward is a reward its neither content nor story. a reward is tied to an activity, in this case the activity is the election of these candidates and reward is for supporting the candidate during the election. The election is the story hence it will most definitely be removed once the election is over. Since the reward is tied to the activity, if the activity is gone so will the reward.

upcoming doesnt mean the very next, it means in content yet to come. You know very well he cant give a date because if he does and for whatever reason they dont make it, he’d be tore to pieces.

Like I said this is still to early. Depends when they decided to listen to the feedback about making more permanent content. From that point on I’d imagine it will be at least 2 months to finish of what they were working on. Then it might take a bit more if they had some content planed which for some reason cannot be changed, who knows but yes I am pretty sure it will take at least 2 months from the day that they decided to do this change.

They’d put it in the list because it justifies the change. In many elections different parties promise the same things if elected, that doesnt mean they dont mention it just cause its a common goal both parties have right?

yes you’re right, this time gated mechanism will not put the casuals and the hardcore on exact equal ground but its the best way to narrow the gap imho. If a casual plays 3 times a week and a hardcore player plays every day the casual will take 2 months 10 days to get a single ascended piece and the hardcore will take 1 month. But if instead of time gating it you were to put in an appropriate number of mats what would happen? current ascended items require an exotic item, 5 vials of mist essence, 250 ecto and a gift of ascension. how does that change things? the hardcore player will still get done in 30 days but will the casual player be done in 2 months 10 days? nope the casual player is lucky if they can do a run now and then but the 50 – 100 fractals run required to build that? it will take them a lifetime not 2 months.

Thing is I believe the idea behind this is to make sure no one run out of rewards. I also think thats vital for the game in general as well. If people with real life money / with a ton of time could grind their way to a full ascended gear sets in weeks rather then years the player base will start putting pressure on Arenanet to release a new tier because they’d be done with ascended. Then you either hope those players can play a game without a goal to work towards or make countless others angry by introducing a new tier which hardcore / rich players will grind out in weeks as well because thats what happens without gating, either you do huge requirements essentially cutting casuals out of it or have hardcore players grind it out in no time! and thats bad.

I’d rather ascended gear lasts for years, its not like hardcore players dont have stuff to do while while they wait for the timelock to expire. They got plenty of other stuff to grind if thats what they enjoy doing.

Devata.6589

A Mini / Reward is a reward ……

I’d rather ascended gear lasts for years, its not like hardcore players dont have stuff to do while while they wait for the timelock to expire. They got plenty of other stuff to grind if thats what they enjoy doing.

The mini for sure is content and in this way is is temporary available making it temporary content (for those who where not there when you could get it).

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/content

Don’t start to try and change the meaning of words because it might not be in you favor. The idea that maybe Colin was talking about later patches is something I can go with but trying to change what he said be redefining words is not gonna work.

And what you said about the reward being linked to the story. yes thats exactly what I said and that exactly what they should not do because in that way they make temporary content. They should link it to the outcome! In that way the story Colin told would be true, you have a story that changes the world and that change leaves a whole chuck of content. Exactly like he said.

About the time-gated and it negatives.

If one person plays 12 hours a week but only in the weekend he can only get 2 while if another player only plays 15 minutes a day but every day he has 7 by the end of the week. So not skill and not time spend reward in a correct way.. being able to log daily does. That means it does not put people on a equal time and besides.. whats the problem if HC players can get it much sooner. If they put much more time in they should get it much sooner. Slowing them down like this is unfair to them and will alienate them from the game.

It also creates even more pressured to play on a daily base what is bad imho. There should be not pressure to log on daily, it will work for some time and after that people get faster burned out with the game.

Lastly whats the problem with people who like to grind? That is made impossible while there is no problem with grinding. I can understand how they like to give a better reward once a day but giving none a second time is something else.
If they said.. you can get 5 crystals or crafting materials the first time you do this but after that you only get 1 until the next day I would be fine with it. You would give your daily advantage without making it really time-gated content.

It is fine if ascended gear lasts for years but not if the reason is because it’s time-gated. And no HC players don’t have enough to grind because grinding / farming is almost not possible in this game because of it’s gold-driven system. Thats why they complain so much about having no end-content as that is part of there end-content. There is only one think they can really grind and that is gold because gold > everything else in GW2. But thats an discussion we already had before.

Posted by: General Belisarius.2548

General Belisarius.2548

I like living story, but its getting out of hand. 250 AP every 2 weeks. I feel forces to try and get everything I absolutely hate deadlines and content that takes less skilled players a lot longer. I love what they are doing but I would rather a expansion by far than a year of living story. and if living story is what they wanna do then ease up every two weeks is too much work, I barely have time to do anything else because I’m struggling to get the living story stuff done on time. Just my thoughts. All in all I like what they are trying to do. kitten would I rather a story building up to a dragon though even if it was a year or more build up. Like forward bases, fighting lesser dragons and lieutenants ect.

Galen Grey.4709

I like living story, but its getting out of hand. 250 AP every 2 weeks. I feel forces to try and get everything I absolutely hate deadlines and content that takes less skilled players a lot longer. I love what they are doing but I would rather a expansion by far than a year of living story. and if living story is what they wanna do then ease up every two weeks is too much work, I barely have time to do anything else because I’m struggling to get the living story stuff done on time. Just my thoughts. All in all I like what they are trying to do. kitten would I rather a story building up to a dragon though even if it was a year or more build up. Like forward bases, fighting lesser dragons and lieutenants ect.

Then ease up. You dont have to do all achievement and certainly not on every release. There is a reason why we only get skin rewards and thats so if you miss it, its not a big deal. The story part are generally quite quick to do really.

Devata.6589

Then ease up. You dont have to do all achievement and certainly not on every release. There is a reason why we only get skin rewards and thats so if you miss it, its not a big deal. The story part are generally quite quick to do really.

The skins and achievements are just there to pressure, not so you don’t have a pressure. It’s the same mechanic as the gem-store. The stuff we talked about a lot. It will get people playing but at some moment they will get tired of it and they they will stop. For many people it starts to feel like a job in stead of a game.

General Belisarius is not the only one who feels this way. It’s exactly what I warned about all the time. Now that it is really every two weeks and we still see temporary content that now even exist of time-gated content I wonder how long it will take before we are starting to see a huge decrease in player numbers.

Galen Grey.4709

The skins and achievements are just there to pressure, not so you don’t have a pressure. It’s the same mechanic as the gem-store. The stuff we talked about a lot. It will get people playing but at some moment they will get tired of it and they they will stop. For many people it starts to feel like a job in stead of a game.

General Belisarius is not the only one who feels this way. It’s exactly what I warned about all the time. Now that it is really every two weeks and we still see temporary content that now even exist of time-gated content I wonder how long it will take before we are starting to see a huge decrease in player numbers.

dont you think thats ironic… lets not get any of it so i dont loose some of it?

If one stops playing they’re still not going to get the skins so why is it such a big deal if you miss a skin?

Also might be good to point out he wasnt talking about the skins, he was talking about AP… there are skins associated with them (the zenith, radiant etc..) but they’re not time limited so in that case he can take all the time he wants and not loose a single one of them.

Edit:
Ohh and Pointing out issue two… they actually changed what you’re talking about starting with this release. Now you can get the skins whenever you like even after the event ends (so event it temporary but reward is permanent guess I did have a point when I said one doesnt need to be tied to the other and financially speaking it makes more sense to have content temporary not the reward) OF course to be entirely fair, there is still pressure to get it done while the event is going because to get them after they’ll cost 5x as much but you have all the time in the world to get them. Ohh and they’re tradable too but they’ll cost you a bunch of gold still in a way if you’re willing to pay real money for them buying them off tp is kinda a sure buy rather then trying the odds which is a very good thing wouldnt you agree?

(edited by Galen Grey.4709)

Devata.6589

dont you think thats ironic… lets not get any of it so i dont loose some of it?

If one stops playing they’re still not going to get the skins so why is it such a big deal if you miss a skin?

Also might be good to point out he wasnt talking about the skins, he was talking about AP… there are skins associated with them (the zenith, radiant etc..) but they’re not time limited so in that case he can take all the time he wants and not loose a single one of them.

Edit:
Ohh and Pointing out issue two… they actually changed what you’re talking about starting with this release. Now you can get the skins whenever you like even after the event ends (so event it temporary but reward is permanent guess I did have a point when I said one doesnt need to be tied to the other and financially speaking it makes more sense to have content temporary not the reward) OF course to be entirely fair, there is still pressure to get it done while the event is going because to get them after they’ll cost 5x as much but you have all the time in the world to get them. Ohh and they’re tradable too but they’ll cost you a bunch of gold still in a way if you’re willing to pay real money for them buying them off tp is kinda a sure buy rather then trying the odds which is a very good thing wouldnt you agree?

Ironic or not it’s how it work. People try to complete it all but when they can’t anymore they stop completely and it does not matter if we are talking about the story, items, AP, achievements. For one person it’s about the item, for another about the AP, for another about the story and yet for another about the achievements.

Besides that all the achievements make the game feel more like a job then a game. Less and less people will get bothered with it meaning you lose the positives about them (for those people) but keep the negatives.

" they actually changed what you’re talking about starting with this release." I don’t know if thats true we will see. And yeah some thinks you can buy just like you con with the back-pack and the mf mini but those prices are extremely high and like you know one of the problems with the gem-store focus is the gold-driven system. This only makes that worse so no I don’t think that is good. People should be able to get them as reward for playing not need to farm gold and then buy them.

Posted by: darkdomino.9578

darkdomino.9578

I’m sorry if you’re one of these people who left the game for months, then came back and realized you missed stuff. Heck, I missed the entire Flame and Frost thing – and that’s nobody’s fault but mine. I was busy at the time and it wasn’t a priority.

These temporary events are fun and I see no reason why they shouldn’t continue them. This argument that just because Anet can’t cater to your personal schedule they shouldn’t do it is silly. When The Walking Dead airs on TV, what do they do? They say “Sunday @9PM”… My schedule doesn’t come into the equation. If I want to see that show… I better freakin be there on Sunday at 9. This doesn’t seem unusual or strange to me.

I’m really sorry that some people can’t make time to show up for these living story things and end up missing stuff. I really am. I feel for you… But ultimately it’s not Anet’s problem. It’s your problem. You have to adapt to the world, the world isn’t going to adapt to you.

I will say this though. I would like to see more permanent content. I’d like to see new landmasses, new areas, new dungeons and new classes/races. I want to see new weapons, such as crossbows, and new skills/spells. I want to see more significant content added to the game… Player housing, guild halls, mounts…. ANYTHING Anet… I’m begging you.

Fury of the Departed [Fury] – http://www.furyofthedeparted.net

Devata.6589

I’m sorry if you’re one of these people who left the game for months, then came back and realized you missed stuff. Heck, I missed the entire Flame and Frost thing – and that’s nobody’s fault but mine. I was busy at the time and it wasn’t a priority.

These temporary events are fun and I see no reason why they shouldn’t continue them. This argument that just because Anet can’t cater to your personal schedule they shouldn’t do it is silly. When The Walking Dead airs on TV, what do they do? They say “Sunday @9PM”… My schedule doesn’t come into the equation. If I want to see that show… I better freakin be there on Sunday at 9. This doesn’t seem unusual or strange to me.

I’m really sorry that some people can’t make time to show up for these living story things and end up missing stuff. I really am. I feel for you… But ultimately it’s not Anet’s problem. It’s your problem. You have to adapt to the world, the world isn’t going to adapt to you.

I will say this though. I would like to see more permanent content. I’d like to see new landmasses, new areas, new dungeons and new classes/races. I want to see new weapons, such as crossbows, and new skills/spells. I want to see more significant content added to the game… Player housing, guild halls, mounts…. ANYTHING Anet… I’m begging you.

It’s not about having a break. Even if you don’t take a real brake people can miss out on stuff.

The problem however is the way they try to pressure people into things. You get a list of achievements you can do for a limited time. They introduce some new temporary stuff on the TP. All time limited in order to pressure people to log in and to buy gems.

That does not feel like fun that feels like a drain and burns you our very soon. Like said it will work on the short run but not on the long run and we are already ending the short run period I think.

Your “The walking dead” example might be the worst you could think of to strengthen your point. I know multiple people who follow it however all of them download it, they don’t watch it on TV and it has nothing to do with the money because it’s just on there TV, they only have to turn it on. It’s the “Sunday @9PM” that they do not like.

Quality of the living story is also not so great. In a way you could say that is had gotten better being more content.. then again it is still stop 13 invasion (that are time-gate.. seriously.. time-gated content in temporary content??) go to 30 balloons. But I personally only see that “better” content as even worse. Every 2 weeks this big chunk of temporary content. The first part of the living story with the refugees was one story that had a normal phase that felt natural, they should not have had achievements linked to it but except for that it was fine. You could follow the story and see it evolve.

Now every two weeks a big temporary content patch with rewards, achievements and a lots of loot gets bombarded at you.

No sorry I can’t say thats fun.. It really destroyed the game.

Posted by: lethlora.1320

lethlora.1320

freshly irritated with temporary content today, especially the amount of development that goes towards it vs. permanent features.

it’s really annoying reading up or seeing someone speak about content in old posts on the forums, only to find out it is no longer accessible—and gw2 has A LOT of this.

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

Interesting example, because even television is moving (or being moved) away from the be-there-or-miss-it model. DVRs, watching online, netflix series model all allow you to watch whenever you’d like.

One problem in an MMO is the fear of having so much content available that everyone is spread out making the game feel single player.

For old content (if made available!): I think players understand if they must do it alone or with like-minded friends — it’s similar to watching old shows by yourself.

New content has to made compelling enough that everyone wants to participate (we still have people tuning in for premiere airings of shows despite DVRs).

Posted by: Xcom.1926

Xcom.1926

I do agree with almost everything the original video said. I don’t mind temporary content but it should be accompanied with big patches every 3-5 months. In an ideal world we get frequent temp content and after 3-5 months we get big patches like you see in other MMOs.

I do think 2-week temporary content was a bandaid GW2 put on a problem it had. It had a problem with retention and felt that this cycle would help with retention. However, what they don’t realize is even if it helps with retention it won’t help with bringing in new players to the game.

Posted by: Rama.6439

Rama.6439

freshly irritated with temporary content today, especially the amount of development that goes towards it vs. permanent features.

it’s really annoying reading up or seeing someone speak about content in old posts on the forums, only to find out it is no longer accessible—and gw2 has A LOT of this.

Way to necro a two month old thread, considering the last two major updates have had all permanent content.

1 new dungeon path with crappy rewards. Man you sure love taking crap from Anet. “YES ANET MORE MEDIOCRE CONTENT I LUV IT”

Quality is subjective.

Well is this all they intend to do for the rest of the year and maybe part or all of next? Revamp what we already have and add a path or 2 in the dungeons we already have and call it permanent content? Please Anet, weak.

At least there’s other games coming out to fall back on when this game continues on it’s path to oblivion.

Arcubus Balefire – 80 Guardian
Välkyri – 80 Warrior
JQ[Lulz] – Kill fur Thrillz…

Posted by: Einlanzer.1627

Einlanzer.1627

I used to be lukewarm to the idea of the Living World, but over the last 6 months my opinion has shifted. There’s really not even much opinion involved, just learning – it just straight up isn’t a good concept for quite a few objective, measurable reasons, which I’ve listed on a few occasions. Chief of all, the excessive focus on temporary content is really just a development vacuum that serves no real purpose and has only succeeded in setting the game back dramatically from where it could be by now.

Devata.6589

In Vayne’s defense (but then again also against him in post (in this thread) where he was telling temporary content was good) he is right that the last 3 patches where more of the ‘permanent’ content type (not full permanent because some linked achivements / rewards still where temporary.. but more permanent).

And while it could be much better, compared the the patches before SAB these where much much better (to bad of the temporary achievements and rewards however), finally you could play the game a little without it feeling like work. Then again it wasn’t really a living Story. SAB isn’t a living story, the revamp of Tequatl isn’t a living story, only the revamp of the dungeon you could see a little as part of a living story. On the other hand.. the whole living story has never felt like a living story.

The last time I felt like there was some story going on in GW2 was back with the lost shore event and ironically that was pre living story.

We should really have more of those events. I know for many people the lost shore event was a big disaster because of very bad timing for NA people and many bugs kicking people out so they should fix that. But a story you see involving while playing the game. Maybe you can do little thinks but please no achievements / unique rewards because that will be temporary and so you get the work feeling again. That story that ends with some big event like the Karka invasion and that literally shapes the world a little and leaves a big chunk of permanent content.

Record the event per server and let people watch it back is some story history. Because you record it per server you can even see yourself and other people who where there in the history. That makes people feel part of a living story, that does not feel like work, that introduces good new permanent content and that is also a good way to keep the story visible for people who like the lore of the game.

Much better then this LS story things that where not more then an bad excuse to put temporary items in the gem-store. You want to get money? Don’t focus on gems for income but expansions. That what you did with GW1 that is (since you charge money for the original box) what many people expect from you with GW2. The fact the living story is what it is and not is would it could be and should be is because it’s all build around getting people to buy gems instead about giving a good game experience.

Btw: The maker of this thread / video does not play GW2 anymore as you can see on his YouTube in the comments. So in a way that proves exactly what he is saying in the video.

(edited by Devata.6589)

Posted by: Lillium.6481

Lillium.6481

I know this post is old, but anet is still barreling in the same direction of “More Temporary Content” with their game. (And I didn’t find a newer relevant post.)
I haven’t been playing this game much for the past 6ish months, because the temporary content is so bad that I can’t stand to play a game that I want to love. Worse than that, when I do pop in to say hi to friends, enjoy a GW2 dungeon, or run around the lovely world of Tyria, no one that I talk to enjoys or even likes the new living story. No one looks forward to any of the new living story – Even with the fractal updates, most people seemed to look forward to badly needed fractal updates, only to groan at the return of x or y hated living story content, and to rage at having to do a story mode before you can jump back into fractals.

I want to love this game. But every time a new living story announcement hits my email inbox, I feel like I shouldn’t even bother logging in. Every time I do log in its a few days or a couple weeks before I can’t stand what this once-promising game has done to itself.
GW2 still has potential. It can still do great things. But it won’t be able to while putting so much effort into “new” content that will only last 2-4 weeks (Isn’t that longer than it takes to develop the new content? Much less anything good.), and ignoring the need for new permanent content. Or bug fixes on existing content.

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

Way to necro a thread

To arenanets credit, they have acknowledged this and will strive toward less temporary content, or so they say. However, some temporary content is good for a game. It gives exclusivity if you can get it done and things like that. But not to this extent.

I know the feeling you describe. I feel the same way with LS as well as Ascended gear. I get the emails, check the website and I say to myself “Ugh, this was supposed to be THE game..the game without grind, without gear grind, the game with a living world”. Instead, we follow champ trains, grind out achievements, grind out materials, and craft.

Wheres the exploration? The adventure? The story? The experience of playing with people beside you and actually working together rather than everyone pounding a boss and occassionally rezzing someone.

Just not what I thought it would be.

For the moment, Im enjoying the game to be honest. Going to just try to roll with the ascended punches, get the pieces(including weapons I still dont have), when i can. Whats more for me is the content direction. Im hoping that they turn things around in the next three months.

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

Posted by: Facepunch.5710

Facepunch.5710

No one looks forward to any of the new living story

This has been true in my experience also. Everyone loves the GW lore, and I think that if they based LS updates on that stuff people would love it even if the playable content was less than amazing. The fact that they continue to put out this irrelevant Scarlet-driven content is baffling. To me.

Please take your tinfoil hats off and be reasonable. ~ReginaB
This forum is a wretched hive of scum and villainy. ~DevilLordLaser

Devata.6589

In my previous comment https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Too-Much-Temporary-Content-Can-Only-Harm-GW2/page/12#post2979627 on this thread I was defending Anet for seemingly going in a better direction with the (then) last patches.

Sadly after that they turned back to the same temporary stuff. Halloween did not allow you to do last year events and the toxic stuff is also once a gain a temporary achievement and rewards grind where the content itself also seems to be temporary.

That is to bad. I hope they will still go back to a better living story and really focusing on expansions to generate income.

Sad thing is that where months ago most people that had some issues with the game said “this game still has potential” while at this moment most people say “this game had so much attentional”. Many people simply don’t believe anymore that Anet is going to make the needed changes.

Nice to see that some people (Lillium.6481) that are critical about the games state do still have confident in a change.

@cesmode.4257
“To arenanets credit, they have acknowledged this and will strive toward less temporary content, or so they say.”
True but they said that months ago and for a while it looked like they indeed where making that change but at this moment we are back where we where. Maybe even worse because the list of temporary achievements seems to be only growing.

@Facepunch.5710
I don’t think that is true. Many people who do not follow the story also don’t like the living story content. So making it go about the lore would not change that much. And the people who do follow it might even be disappointed about the way it gets thrown in the game. See the new fractal and the reactions on it.

(edited by Devata.6589)

Posted by: Facepunch.5710

Facepunch.5710

See the new fractal and the reactions on it.

Doesn’t this make my point for me? The negative reactions to the story surrounding the new fractal have been focused on the fact that ANet once again fell back to ‘Scarlet did it.’

Please take your tinfoil hats off and be reasonable. ~ReginaB
This forum is a wretched hive of scum and villainy. ~DevilLordLaser

Devata.6589

See the new fractal and the reactions on it.

Doesn’t this make my point for me? The negative reactions to the story surrounding the new fractal have been focused on the fact that ANet once again fell back to ‘Scarlet did it.’

Partly. For the people that focus on the story yes but for the people that don’t care about the story so much no. They also don’t like much of the living story content and then it’s not related to the story itself but to the content. Just changing the story would not help for them.