Trading Fun for Convenience

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

Flying was cool. For a time. Then it became tedious. Flight points let us see the scenery as we traveled. That’s what GW2’s vistas are for. And you can still run whereever you want to go. You don’t have to WP. But I enjoy playing the game, and WPs allow me to go wherever I want when I want to play with whomever I want. Convenience, in this case, furthers the gameplay. After the initial oooh-aaah of flying wore off, throughout my WoW playing days, I missed the GW map traveling.

Also, you can’t use WPs until you’ve discovered them, so you will need to run to those areas and take in the scenery on your way.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

Posted by: Anthony.7219

Anthony.7219

I understand where the OP is coming from, but they’re being shortsighted I think. I’ve played a lot of MMOs, and I know the feeling you’re talking about by being isolated. You think WoW travel was hard? They had waypoints, you just had to wait 30s for the flight. GW2 is the same way they just skipped the scenic part. I think it has freed them up to do more with the game to be honest.

1) Roleplay. Walk. WPs cost money, so you’re actually be rewarded a tiny bit for your time.
2) I get that exploration feeling the FIRST time I go somewhere. I don’t need to feel it again and again. Making travel cost a lot/take a lot of time will make things incredibly difficult at times and frustrate a lot of players.

That being said, I think there is a place for incorporating that sense of ‘exploration’ you’re talking about, but it isn’t from copying WoW. In fact, WoW isn’t even the game that had the most exploration I’ve played, far from it, its just the popular game.

How about accessing remote places in future expansions requires a long trek / voyage and creates a little separation? If you’re in Elona, for instance, you wouldn’t be able to instantly transport back and forth. Perhaps they could introduce some lore that made travelling back and forth between areas need recharge time. Your mission to elona, for instance, could need to take place before the asura gate gets installed. Trek through the desert.

Outright removing waypoints so that you can have a mount is silly.

Posted by: Knote.2904

Knote.2904

The entire game is about playing with your friends.

I busted out laughing.

I’ve never seen an MMO punish you for wanting to play with friends/guildies more than this one.

Posted by: gimmethegepgun.1284

gimmethegepgun.1284

They need a waypoint at the TP in LA, so I don’t have to run from the bank side to the TP side and back again 50 times a day.

You could just go to Rata Sum, you know.

Posted by: eisberg.2379

eisberg.2379

I busted out laughing.

I’ve never seen an MMO punish you for wanting to play with friends/guildies more than this one.

Umm ,what? How is that? This is the best MMO I have played that doesn’t punish you for wanting to play with your friends.

1- get the same XP and rewards in group as solo
2- Get to play with lower level friends without being so over powered that you one shot 5 monters all at once
3- Lower level friends don’t get less XP for having a higher level in the group
4- Higher level friends get rewards appropriate for ~ their level, ie they are not getting level 5 gear in a level 5 area
5- Higher level characters still get XP appropriate for their level when playing lower level areas with their friends.
6- Don’t have to spend so much time traveling around the world to get to your friends area.

So I am curious Guild Wars 2 punishes you for playing with your friends.

Posted by: Pariah.8506

Pariah.8506

I busted out laughing.

Umm ,what? How is that? This is the best MMO I have played that doesn’t punish you for wanting to play with your friends.

2- Get to play with lower level friends without being so over powered that you one shot 5 monters all at once
4- Higher level friends get rewards appropriate for ~ their level, ie they are not getting level 5 gear in a level 5 area
5- Higher level characters still get XP appropriate for their level when playing lower level areas with their friends.
6- Don’t have to spend so much time traveling around the world to get to your friends area.

I got friends in NA, can I play with them?

eisberg.2379

I busted out laughing.

That is all you can come up with? Hardly being punished more considering all the stuff I listed. Every other MMO I have played punishes you and your friend for grouping up with each other.

Forgot to add 1, I have friends on different servers, and I can take me character to different servers and play with them, in other MMOs, I have to at the very least have an additional character on my friends server. Plus I can gather friends from different servers and we can all play together at any time with any of our characters.

Your 1 restriction is hardly worthy of “busting out laughing” and calling it the most punishing MMO to play with your friends of all time. I bet the vast majority of the players don’t even have friends from across the pond so it is a non issue for most.

Anthony.7219

I busted out laughing.

That is all you can come up with? Hardly being punished more considering all the stuff I listed. Every other MMO I have played punishes you and your friend for grouping up with each other.

Forgot to add 1, I have friends on different servers, and I can take me character to different servers and play with them, in other MMOs, I have to at the very least have an additional character on my friends server. Plus I can gather friends from different servers and we can all play together at any time with any of our characters.

Your 1 restriction is hardly worthy of “busting out laughing” and calling it the most punishing MMO to play with your friends of all time. I bet the vast majority of the players don’t even have friends from across the pond so it is a non issue for most.

Forgive me for asking, but the problem here is that he has a character on a EU server and can’t guest to NA servers? Because he could log into a NA server and start a new character.

eisberg.2379

I busted out laughing.

Forgive me for asking, but the problem here is that he has a character on a EU server and can’t guest to NA servers? Because he could log into a NA server and start a new character.

he can only do that if he transfers all his characters to a NA server, you can’t create characters on both regions with 1 account.

Posted by: Zavve.8205

Zavve.8205

What you call fun, I call needless busy work. I like my waypoints just fine.

this

Posted by: Cowrex.9564

Cowrex.9564

Best thread I’ve seen so far. I agree OP. This is how I’ve felt after a month or two of playing GW2. I miss the old huge exploration without all the waypoints and all that. I hope the expansion packs of GW2 can fix this.

Give a man fire, he will be warm, set a man on fire, he will be warm forever! …or dead…

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

Best thread I’ve seen so far. I agree OP. This is how I’ve felt after a month or two of playing GW2. I miss the old huge exploration without all the waypoints and all that. I hope the expansion packs of GW2 can fix this.

Fix what, exactly? You can run around and explore without using waypoints if you want to. The option is there for you.

I love waypoints. They remove needless tedium for me. They’re not hurting your game, so just stop trying to force your style of playing on anyone else.

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

Posted by: Aberrant.6749

Aberrant.6749

No. I don’t want to have to go afk while taking a griffin to some place (or whatever).

I see the world around me anyways while gathering etc. I don’t need to see the same areas over and over again because I’m just trying to get to point B. A castle becomes that big house over there and loses its beauty if I have to see it every day.

this

Indeed.

Tarnished Coast
Salvage 4 Profit + MF Guide – http://tinyurl.com/l8ff6pa

Posted by: leng jai.2961

leng jai.2961

Basically the whole premise of the thread is negated by the fact you can simply choose to not use the waypoints. Removing them completely would be ludicrous and break the game.

Posted by: holodoc.5748

holodoc.5748

Waypoints are imho a very poor design choice which only encourages some of the worst behaviors found in this game. Currently they serve only two purposes – being a very successful gold sink and as a convenient way to encourage waypoint zerg invasions. Distance should matter. If I have a somewhat older computer and require more time to load a specific map (sometimes the difference can go up to 20 seconds and more) I should not be punished because folks with better computers managed to reach and complete the event in the meantime (champ trains anyone?). How exactly would “playing together with friends” be fun if you wouldn’t even be able to reach the event in time?

ANet stated on multiple occasions that they refuse to implement mounts in order to preserve the feeling of the sheer size of the map. Waypoints defeat that very intention. Now don’t get me wrong I am not necessarily against a fast travel system but in the end, once again, distance should matter.

Considering this was also an issue for me in GW1 I had time to think about a system that I would like to see in GW2 (that never happened of course). My idea was to simply implement only one central hub on every map which would be connected to adjacent central hubs through Asuran gates. That means you would not be able to get from Larry in Queensdale to the Mega Destroyer in just a couple of seconds. You would be required to walk from Larry to the central Queensdale hub and then use Asuran gates to travel through adjacent maps in the following order Queensdale→Gendarran Fields→Lornar’s Pass→Timberline Falls → Mount Maelstrom. You want a gold sink with that? Charge every gate use with 1s fixed price. That would make location an important factor for players because currently its completely irrelevant where you are, its all the same aside from the decor which can be changed in just a couple of seconds.

I am not unrealistic by thinking that anything even remotely similar to my idea will ever be implemented in GW2. Waypoints are simply too much integrated in the existing gameplay. However that doesn’t change my opinion that the current convenience which fast travel waypoints provide simply destroys a huge part of the game immersion.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Do you know why the system you’re talking about wouldn’t work here, OP? Because the games you played didn’t have timed dynamic events. Just imagine trying to get to a dragon event, knowing it would be over by the time you got there.

Moot. There be timers in yonder internet. Anticipation may be making you wait, but there be no excuse for not arriving on time.

Because EVERYONE uses game timers. I don’t. I almost never keep a timer open. But sometimes, someone in guild chat will say, hey, the maw is up in a few seconds. And if I’m free and I want to, I can just port over there.

There are times when I come out of a dungeon and someone says, you still have time to get here and get in on the Shatterer kill…and I do.

That couldn’t happen if I had to run there from an outpost.

Vayne.8563: Anyone who wants to do it, can find out where it’s being done and make it their business to be there.

So there. Disagree with your own self. :-D

You can find out when a GROUP is doing an event, that’s quite different from having people calling out stuff casually in guild chat. One thing is scheduled for a player made event, (which no timer can give you) and one thing is for keeping on checking a timer for OTHER world events. Way to misrepresent what I said.

I said for a complex encounter like Tequatl you have to go the extra yard. But for the other 20 plus world events, having waypoint nearby is useful.

I don’t need to know in advance when the Great Jungle Wurm is up, when the Fire Elemental is up, when the Frozen Maw is up, when the Shatterer is up. I can just jump in and get there fast and get some reward for doing so.

If you’re going to misrepresent what I say, you should probably not take it out of context. It makes you look disingenuous.

Posted by: Delryn.7235

Delryn.7235

@OP

I agree with you completely 100%

GW2 has made everything extremely convenient and it’s a bit detrimental to the game in the long run I think.

For example LA is deserted… what’s that you say? LA is the most populated city? LA is deserted, the only place that is full of life is that central convenience center of LA. Where everything is so conveniently located, bank, TP, crafting, mystic forge, shops, repair, build reseters, everything.

Because everything is so convenient in LA the remainder of the beautiful city is empty of life.

In general almost everything that is a convenience in this game ends up hurting it, waypoints being the first to cross my mind.

In the end of the day this is still a game after all and it should feel as such. Most of all it’s an RPG and it certainly doesn’t feel like one.

As far as the waypoint issue goes, I would love it if it were completely removed from the game. I know it can’t be because the game is built around the idea that waypoints exist and since the world is so shallow traveling through it would be a total bore.

On that note, I think a good solution would be to invert the costs. The closer the waypoint the more expensive it is, the further the cheaper. Waypoints should be used to help a player travel long distances and that’s it.

Waypoints shouldn’t reward a player for being lazy. With high costs to get somewhere close to you, odds are people will avoid using them if they just need to go from spot A to spot B.

On that note, this would also help champion farming in some places. Wouldn’t completely stop it but would certainly help in the areas where every champ requires a WP (Queensdale).

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

If you’re going to misrepresent what I say, you should probably not take it out of context. It makes you look disingenuous.

No, sir. I did not ‘misrepresent’ anything you said, and the context is right there in black and white, albeit spread across two threads, with getting to a dragon event on time being the common element. At least, that was the common element as seen from my side of it. I don’t know what you saw.

All anyone has to do is look. It’s all still there. Unedited. As is often the case, however, you seem to be responding to things that weren’t there and/or weren’t intended. I don’t know what to tell you. Too many conversational irons in the fire, maybe?

Furthermore – and this is not directed at you, Vayne, but to those here who for whatever reason felt the need to lash out at me for comparing and contrasting what you said in one thread (about getting to a dragon event) with what you said in another thread (about getting to a dragon event) – I do not appreciate being told off here on the forums or in game because someone didn’t understand what I posted. If you are confused by something I have said, ask, please, for clarification instead of telling me I am the ‘definition of a hater’ and that you ‘cringe’ at my ‘sheer stupidity’.

/e waves at the person who sent me that lovely in-game email titled “You are an idiot.”

The table is a fable.

Vayne.8563

No, sir. I did not ‘misrepresent’ anything you said, and the context is right there in black and white, albeit spread across two threads, with getting to a dragon event on time being the common element. At least, that was the common element as seen from my side of it. I don’t know what you saw.

All anyone has to do is look. It’s all still there. Unedited. As is often the case, however, you seem to be responding to things that weren’t there and/or weren’t intended. I don’t know what to tell you. Too many conversational irons in the fire, maybe?

Furthermore – and this is not directed at you, Vayne, but to those here who for whatever reason felt the need to lash out at me for comparing and contrasting what you said in one thread (about getting to a dragon event) with what you said in another thread (about getting to a dragon event) – I do not appreciate being told off here on the forums or in game because someone didn’t understand what I posted. If you are confused by something I have said, ask, please, for clarification instead of telling me I am the ‘definition of a hater’ and that you ‘cringe’ at my ‘sheer stupidity’.

/e waves at the person who sent me that lovely in-game email titled “You are an idiot.”

Right, finding out when a group is doing an event, is quite different than a casual refernece to waypoints.

Anyone should be able to see that. One is when a guild is running an event, one when an event comes up naturally in game.

I’m not sure why you can’t see the difference.

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

And I’m not sure why you can’t see the amusing contrast between your comments in the two threads. So let’s just call it even and let it go.

/e bows

The table is a fable.

Vayne.8563

And I’m not sure why you can’t see the amusing contrast between your comments in the two threads. So let’s just call it even and let it go.

/e bows

One comment is about people trying to do a single specific event that was made to be kittene comment is about getting to easy events that people do regularly with no preparation You can bow all you want,. but you’re simply taking what I said about the Tequatl fight which is a very specific instance, and trying to apply it universally to every meta event in the game.

You’re ARE misrepresenting what I said. You can’t apply an idea to two different situations, unless you’re just trying to troll me of course.

Posted by: caiomacos.1694

caiomacos.1694

If I have a somewhat older computer and require more time to load a specific map (sometimes the difference can go up to 20 seconds and more) I should not be punished because folks with better computers managed to reach and complete the event in the meantime (champ trains anyone?).

If anything, your system suggestion would only make things worse for people with bad computers / internet speed. If you already take longer to fast travel compared to people with better pcs, if you had to travel multiple times (multiple loading times) through different gates, by the time you reach your destination the event would have ended ages ago. Being able to travel to a place very near the event as fast as possible is actually a solution to that.

Posted by: Delryn.7235

Delryn.7235

If I have a somewhat older computer and require more time to load a specific map (sometimes the difference can go up to 20 seconds and more) I should not be punished because folks with better computers managed to reach and complete the event in the meantime (champ trains anyone?).

If anything, your system suggestion would only make things worse for people with bad computers / internet speed. If you already take longer to fast travel compared to people with better pcs, if you had to travel multiple times (multiple loading times) through different gates, by the time you reach your destination the event would have ended ages ago. Being able to travel to a place very near the event as fast as possible is actually a solution to that.

I think his solution with what would be “Asura Gates” in every field area is great.

As far as having to go one by one by one I don’t see the point to that. I think a nice solution to the horrible WP situation would be something along those lines.

Each area could have only 1 waypoint. Or to make it actually feel like an RPG and follow lore and such, his idea with having 1 Asuran Gate in each area which could be used to travel to others at your choice would be great.

Posted by: Galtrix.7369

Galtrix.7369

@OP

I agree with you completely 100%

GW2 has made everything extremely convenient and it’s a bit detrimental to the game in the long run I think.

For example LA is deserted… what’s that you say? LA is the most populated city? LA is deserted, the only place that is full of life is that central convenience center of LA. Where everything is so conveniently located, bank, TP, crafting, mystic forge, shops, repair, build reseters, everything.

Because everything is so convenient in LA the remainder of the beautiful city is empty of life.

In general almost everything that is a convenience in this game ends up hurting it, waypoints being the first to cross my mind.

In the end of the day this is still a game after all and it should feel as such. Most of all it’s an RPG and it certainly doesn’t feel like one.

As far as the waypoint issue goes, I would love it if it were completely removed from the game. I know it can’t be because the game is built around the idea that waypoints exist and since the world is so shallow traveling through it would be a total bore.

On that note, I think a good solution would be to invert the costs. The closer the waypoint the more expensive it is, the further the cheaper. Waypoints should be used to help a player travel long distances and that’s it.

Waypoints shouldn’t reward a player for being lazy. With high costs to get somewhere close to you, odds are people will avoid using them if they just need to go from spot A to spot B.

On that note, this would also help champion farming in some places. Wouldn’t completely stop it but would certainly help in the areas where every champ requires a WP (Queensdale).

Increasing waypoint costs would definitely solve a few issues. Champ farming would probably stop, people would actually think twice about waypointing somewhere far away, and it would encourage people to run to their destination. As it stands now, I waypoint without even considering the cost because it’s so unsubstantial. I literally waypointed about 300 times in a day a few months ago, and it barely cost me much of anything.

Anyway, I’m glad other people feel the same as I do.

[~Galtrix~] [~Level 80 Elementalist~] [~GoM~]

Galtrix.7369

Basically the whole premise of the thread is negated by the fact you can simply choose to not use the waypoints. Removing them completely would be ludicrous and break the game.

It’s not negated by that fact. If I chose to walk to a dungeon, I would get kicked within the first 5 minutes because people are not patient. I like the idea that someone said earlier where one person would run to the front of the dungeon and activate a stone that teleports the entire party to the dungeon. Or you could run there yourself. I can’t choose not to use waypoints if I want to kill a big boss or do a dungeon, which is basically the entire “end-game” of GW2.

But I do agree with you. Removing waypoints entirely would not be a wise move on Anet’s part. Reducing the amount of waypoints, however, would not break the game in any way. If it were up to me, I’d reduce the amount of waypoints and increase the cost so people would not be so inclined to teleport whenever they feel the need. A large part of MMO’s for me was the journeys you take to get to your destinations. Guild Wars 2 lacks journeys and adventure.

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

Use waypoints.

Waypoints aren’t a skip button. You have to pass by them in order to use it. Therefore, you have to see a scenery in order to get there.

Not having waypoints is the same as dying to a boss but it doesn’t have a skip button to the cutscene you already seen over and over again. It is annoying and more games need waypoints.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

It’s not negated by that fact. If I chose to walk to a dungeon, I would get kicked within the first 5 minutes because people are not patient. I like the idea that someone said earlier where one person would run to the front of the dungeon and activate a stone that teleports the entire party to the dungeon. Or you could run there yourself. I can’t choose not to use waypoints if I want to kill a big boss or do a dungeon, which is basically the entire “end-game” of GW2.

What is the problem?
Galtrix getting kicked from dungeon parties because he joined them but could not be there in the first five minutes because he doesn’t want to use waypoints.

What would he like his situation to be?
Galtrix would like to not be kicked from dungeon parties.

What are his possible choices?

• He can arrive there first before looking for a party to do dungeons.
  • He can use waypoints to travel there and then after the dungeon ends, he can waypoint back to where his character originally was.
  • He doesn’t have to do the dungeon.

What are the consequences?

• He’ll have to waste time getting there.
  • He’ll break his vow to not use waypoints.
  • He doesn’t do the dungeon.

What choices would I suggest to commit to?

• Any of them.

When should he start it?

• Now.

But I do agree with you. Removing waypoints entirely would not be a wise move on Anet’s part. Reducing the amount of waypoints, however, would not break the game in any way. If it were up to me, I’d reduce the amount of waypoints and increase the cost so people would not be so inclined to teleport whenever they feel the need. A large part of MMO’s for me was the journeys you take to get to your destinations. Guild Wars 2 lacks journeys and adventure.

I disagree completely.

Try dying hundreds of time and walk back to where you were. Try dying in a jumping puzzle. This gets annoying.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

Posted by: Skan.5301

Skan.5301

Try dying hundreds of time and walk back to where you were. Try dying in a jumping puzzle. This gets annoying.

Alleviated by res shrines like in Guild Wars close by.

“Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.”
– Euripides

Galtrix.7369

Alleviated by res shrines like in Guild Wars close by.

^ Thanks for posting what I was going to post.

Posted by: Septemptus.7164

Septemptus.7164

This.

You see, I agree with this thread, but I spent 1 year playing this game and I have world completion on few characters.

I’m sorry, but I don’t want to run pass again this beautiful Ascalonian wall ruins that I love as GW1 player. I enjoy graphics that are in game. I cry because we don’t get new maps/places to explore, It really pains me (maybe you read some of my topics) also I cry on low variety of monsters and monsters attacks.

Yet I really don’t want to be FORCED to run the same areas more that I’m already with Living Story in which devs just always reuse the same places: maps, JP, etc. It’s boring as it is now without running the same places over and over.

Basically If you want to enjoy scenery do it. I do it also from time to time, but don’t force people to it.

As for mounts If we could get them as non combat 50% movement speed (60% if you have +25% movement speed on you) it would be great, yet thats for devs to decide. WP aren’t bad and mounts could be used for variety.

Posted by: leng jai.2961

leng jai.2961

Your ideology of how to play GW2 it would be extremely selfish for you to form a group while being on the opposite end of the word map. The obvious solution would be to get to the dungeon entrance and then form a party.

I do agree that game could probably halve the amounts of waypoints it has. Open world bosses would be ludicrous if people had to run their way every time. For most people the journey and adventure is enough the first time around. The majority of players don’t have the desire or the time to relive it everytime they play.

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

You must have missed my other post – i will answer again.

You have to understand and respect other player’s desire to play the game the way they want to. Simple as that.
If they don’t feel like waiting find people that will – but don’t try to change the game for everyone.

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

Posted by: yorick.1305

yorick.1305

Flying was cool. For a time. Then it became tedious. Flight points let us see the scenery as we traveled. That’s what GW2’s vistas are for. And you can still run whereever you want to go. You don’t have to WP. But I enjoy playing the game, and WPs allow me to go wherever I want when I want to play with whomever I want. Convenience, in this case, furthers the gameplay. After the initial oooh-aaah of flying wore off, throughout my WoW playing days, I missed the GW map traveling.

Also, you can’t use WPs until you’ve discovered them, so you will need to run to those areas and take in the scenery on your way.

At least you could avoid combat with former. Or you had the choice of it.

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

This. If you don’t like waypoints, you can still always run to where you want. Don’t take away the best time saver in the game.

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

No. Thank you. I don’t want to give away my convenience in exchange for something that would be boring and tedious. There’s no fun in wasting most of the game time on running to the places i want to be in.

It would also have some effects you might have overlooked. First, It would make a lot of areas even more empty than they are now – nobody would want to run to places located far away from travel hubs, unless something really, really significant was there. Than means even more people in areas like queensdale and frostgorge (first because it is convenient and close, second because it is very profitable and going anywhere else would mean a lot of time wasted on running back, so better to get there once and stay).

That means also completely revamping whole reward system, and proces of everything – for example mats for crafting are based on the assumption that they can be easily farmed en masse. Take away waypoints, and this is no longer true.
Events like invasion, announced only when they start, which can happen anywhere in the world, would have to go as well.
Mind you, i don’t think that everything i mentioned above – especially grind and invasions – to be things worth defending. It’s just knowing Anet they would be replaced with something even worse.

But mostly? The time requirements to do anything in the game would go way up. Which is definitely a very, very bad thing.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

Posted by: Sleel.8365

Sleel.8365

I’m just sitting here wondering who exactly is standing behind him, holding a gun to his head forcing him to use them. And why did he let him in the house?

Anthony.7219

I’m just sitting here wondering who exactly is standing behind him, holding a gun to his head forcing him to use them. And why did he let him in the house?

I know right? I enjoy that sense of real-world distance, but the truth is that having that sense of distance comes at a cost. It is fun the first few times, but after that people get angry, really angry, and then they leave. If you had to run to the dungeon and it took 15 minutes, a lot of people simply wouldn’t bother. I left Lineage 2 because I kept failing a quest that required me to walk across the whole world. I believe they had really expensive waypoints in Lineage 2. Maybe I should have put a rock on the W key, I think it was a straight line for the most part…

I think its a mistake to think that ArenaNet made this design decision without carefully considering it. Maybe this thread should be called fun at the expense of a sense of distance.

(edited by Anthony.7219)

Posted by: Sytherek.7689

Sytherek.7689

When I want to feel like I’m part of Tyria, I walk the world. I’ve walked a lot, too.

No one if forcing you to use waypoints. Choice is good.

Posted by: HackworthGW.8251

HackworthGW.8251

@OP If you like needless walking so much, why don’t you just ignore all the shiny waypoints and, well, walk all the way? Why don’t you just walk right by the very few crafters outside of cities (who even uses them on a whim, without access to the bank or trading post pickup)? Why don’t you simply ignore the default ‘O’ key and walk and talk to a trade post representative whenever you want to buy or sell something?

Oh, you only liked that stuff when you were forced to do it? That’s called masochism, and that isn’t everyone’s taste. Hard games are all the rage right now and for good reason, but simply forcing a player to walk for an hour before he gets anything done is just mind-boggingly stupid and the very wrong kind of hard.

I did not know how much I hated character wallets until I met the account wallet.

I did not know how much I hated something as tiny and insignificant as a salvage kit that has to be selected again after every single use, or a crafting system that requires all your materials to be in your actual character inventory rather than simply your material storage.

I did not know how much I hated picking up every loot drop one by one, systematically walking up to each and every one, until I met AoE loot.

I did not know how much I missed a “Deposit All Collectibles” button directly above “Compact” until I got it, or Invisible/Material/Equipment bags.

I do know how much I hated the Trade channel spam in GW1 and how much we clamored for a TP equivalent.

GW2 is far from perfect, it does many small things very well and a few big things really badly, but like it or not, there is precious little to do as it is outside of LS (which is one of the big bad things for the most part), and if THAT was bogged down with hours of walking, I would have tossed this game out a long time ago, strapped to a live hand grenade.

(edited by HackworthGW.8251)

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

@OP If you like needless walking so much, why don’t you just ignore all the shiny waypoints and, well, walk all the way? Why don’t you just walk right by the very few crafters outside of cities (who even uses them on a whim, without access to the bank or trading post pickup)? Why don’t you simply ignore the default ‘O’ key and walk and talk to a trade post representative whenever you want to buy or sell something?

All crafting stations give you access to your bank and your collectibles via tabs on the left side of the interface.

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?