Trading Post 2.0 (Last Feature pack Arcticle)

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

Now THIS is an update worthy of a bit of hype.

I’m sure that the new layout will take some getting used to, but it’s clear that a lot of work went into this, and it brings a feature long asked for (and a few I’ve wanted but felt were not worth asking for) into the game at last.

The only part that worries me is the “new browser” part. I’d hate it if my AV (or anyone’s AV for that matter) chokes on it and makes the game unplayable. And no, I do NOT consider “turn off your AV program to play” to be an acceptable solution for ANY game.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: Atlas.9704

Atlas.9704

Looks like a nice revamp, especially having the withdrawal box available anywhere.

Won’t that render the Trading Post Express to useless if I can withdraw anywhere?

Overall I’m pleased with this overall, especially with the search features.
I’m also exceptionally pleased with the fact we’ll see all of our deductions and see the actual profit.

Elona, Land of the Golden Sun….and undead…and poison. The travel brochure lied okay?!

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Improving the visibility of the fees incurred while using the Trading Post was also important. Previously, we’d show you the listing fee and projected profit when selling, but this left out the successful exchange fee that comes out of the seller’s profit on every transaction. Feeding all those birds that shuttle your wares to the Trading Post isn’t cheap, or so Evon claims. It was better than nothing, but we got a lot of feedback that the projected profit was confusing because we weren’t calling out all the fees. The new selling UI in the Trading Post explicitly calls out both the listing fee and the exchange fee, so there shouldn’t be any surprises when selling.

What I find disturbing is that “projected profit” got removed and replaced by two fees. I am afraid that this was done on purpose, to make people do all the math themselves. The main complaint about “projected profit” (as stated in the post) was not that we wanted to see the fees… the complaint was that it didn’t calculate all the fees.

Nice catch. Didn’t see that when I looked at it. I was thinking the second one was the projected profit, but its just another fee. I don’t care what the fees are, since we can’ t change them, I just want to see what I’m going to actually get from selling it.

The post doesn’t say the Projected Profit is being removed; it says that both fees are being explicitly listed. The two are not mutually exclusive.

Look at the screenshot again. It doesn’t have the project profit anywhere on it.

I’m sure they’re test items, but what are the Black… items in the inventory in the screenshot?

I believe those are bags…inventory bags. Looks like, maybe, you can choose which bag to sell from.

Palador.2170

“We’ll release exciting things for veteran players”… I’ve been defending ANet for months now, so playing the “you’ll swoon before our new features” and releasing something quite basic kinda hurts my feelings.

While I may not share your feelings on this, I can surely understand them. By itself, this is a great improvement. But as the highlight of the much hyped feature pack 2?

Posted by: LIVE.4875

LIVE.4875

Its amazing ppl are happy about TP changes.
Ill just leave this here.

GW1: released in April 26, 2005
GW1Canthan: released in April 28 2006
GW1Nightfall:released in October 26, 2006

(by April 2009 6million copies sold)

^^^ all that content, all the skins, gear, levels, setting restrictions for terrain, art and development and so on.

Gw2: released August 28, 2012
Gw2: releases small content and major patches to edit infrastructure over 2 years
Gw2 serious content expansion: still nothing, just conjecture from ppl I’ve never met on these forums

By August 2013 they had sold 3.5million copies of Gw2

Posted by: Phoebe Ascension.8437

Phoebe Ascension.8437

Wait until you try it. You may even find it more efficient.

I don’t need to try it to know it. Windows 8 for me (taskbar, start button) is less efficient then windows 7 in every way. Could I get past this issue? sure. But every single time i use taskbar, i need more time (more clicks or more mouse movement) to do the same. That is not efficient. At my work i gotta sometimes copy paste 100’s of files manually. You think i’m gonna right click every one, right click paste? Trust me even for you that would be a pain. No, I used ctrl + C, and ctrl V much easier. In the same way tp atm allows me to very fast move from all the tabs cause it’s only 0,5 cm mouse movement needed. I dont even need to think hard about it ‘1 sell listings, 2 buy listings’ etc’. It’s not gonna make me quit the game or hate anet for it. But i had to voice my opinion that in the end, for me as veteran player, this patch took 100’s of hours to work on, and didnt make it any better (if anything they made it worse, for me specifically). I suspect tons of ppl will like this update. I gotta admit i like the profession filtering too. But overall this udpate is bad, and i feel like i had to voice that to Anet. Not to cry, or stop it even (i know it is done as it is now), but to make them think twice about future UI change.

Don’t fix what ain’t broke. You just did that. Only good feature i see is armor filtering, wich could have been building into current tp. Nothing else is of interest to me.

Legendary weapons can be hidden now!
No excuse anymore for not giving ‘hide mounts’-option
No thanks to unidentified weapons.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

AT LAST. But still, it’s what should have been expected in the first place, not 2 years later :-/

Should that matter? Anet is in a lose lose situation with comments like that

They don’t fix something, people will complain that it’s not here

They fix something, people will complain that it should’ve been fixed long ago

“We’ll release exciting things for veteran players”… I’ve been defending ANet for months now, so playing the “you’ll swoon before our new features” and releasing something quite basic kinda hurts my feelings.

This isn’t a minor feature it’s a major rework. And you know, a lot of people have asked for this. No one said you’d swoon before our new features anyway, but this is not something quite basic. It’s integral to the game, to crafters, to farmers, and to people just needing to buy stuff.

Palador.2170

Looks like a nice revamp, especially having the withdrawal box available anywhere.

Won’t that render the Trading Post Express to useless if I can withdraw anywhere?

You won’t be able to withdraw anywhere (as I understand it). You’ll just be able to see a list of what you’ve already got waiting for you on all parts of the Trading Post. So, if you’re buying gear for a character, and suddenly can’t remember if you got them their underwater weapons or not, you can just look in the box and see without leaving the part of the TP you’re on.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Now THIS is an update worthy of a bit of hype.

I’m sure that the new layout will take some getting used to, but it’s clear that a lot of work went into this, and it brings a feature long asked for (and a few I’ve wanted but felt were not worth asking for) into the game at last.

The only part that worries me is the “new browser” part. I’d hate it if my AV (or anyone’s AV for that matter) chokes on it and makes the game unplayable. And no, I do NOT consider “turn off your AV program to play” to be an acceptable solution for ANY game.

I thought about this, as well, and figured some of us might have to white-list the new application process, just as some of us had to white-list awesomium.exe. Shouldn’t be that difficult. /shrug

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

Yup. GREAT changes to the TP. Well done Anet well done. For all of those who are saying “we didn’t want this”, or “why not fix the other things!?” This is something that has been asked for time and time again. It’s awesome and amazing! Definetly looking forward to it!!

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

Posted by: SRoode.7318

SRoode.7318

I wonder if external sites, such as GW2Spidy, will be able to interface with the new TP.

Posted by: Relshdan.6854

Relshdan.6854

AT LAST. But still, it’s what should have been expected in the first place, not 2 years later :-/

Should that matter? Anet is in a lose lose situation with comments like that

They don’t fix something, people will complain that it’s not here

They fix something, people will complain that it should’ve been fixed long ago

This isn’t a minor feature it’s a major rework. And you know, a lot of people have asked for this. No one said you’d swoon before our new features anyway, but this is not something quite basic. It’s integral to the game, to crafters, to farmers, and to people just needing to buy stuff.

agree…….while i find it to be an underwhelming/disappointing feature patch based on my interests and compared to the last feature patch….this rework is much appreciated and has been asked for since the game launched (the new search functionality goes even beyond what most were asking for).

Chaos Organ (Ele), Pistol Opera (Thief), Modular Man (Eng)
MARA (EU) Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

I wonder if external sites, such as GW2Spidy, will be able to interface with the new TP.

I like your skills of a Magnum P.I. This is a great question. Anyone at ArenaNet know the answer?

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: Tagus Eleuthera.7305

Tagus Eleuthera.7305

From reading the post, you reeeeeally get the feeling that they worked hard making those changes.

Posted by: Sorean.5379

Sorean.5379

If I did understand it right,the Trading Post was downloading the item icons from the interwebz,instead of using the ones already in the game files,and now they will use the icons from game files and not spend time downloading it?
If so,kitten ,this will increase the performance by a lot!

I like it!
Excited for the 9th,so I can finally create my Guardian and have a new/different experience while leveling (different from my other 80’s)

Posted by: Celestial.4381

Celestial.4381

Let’s see how it will work on non armor/weapons, e.g. Recipes, trinkets, materials, water breather, colors, all the stuff that were rather difficult to find in the current one.

Looks like there will be stat filters for armor and weapons…I’m guessing there will be stat filters for trinkets as well, and hopefully this will also be true of food, which is a pain to search for now unless you know the name of the food you need.

Recipe filters would be very nice. At least let us filter by craft. Or, better yet, have a filter for “recipes I don’t know yet” (they should also add this to recipe vendors). Same thing with crafting materials.

“Aquatic helm” (waterbreathers) was always a filter option. I hope we get one for backpieces as well.

Posted by: AysonCurrax.3254

AysonCurrax.3254

it will certainly not work for a good while because you cant access the data in the same way anymore. I am not even sure if you will be able to grab the URL in the same way you could before since it will run on a different ingame browser, so probably not on awesomium. I guess time will tell. this is part of the reason why i was hoping they would finally release the API v2.

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

From reading the post, you reeeeeally get the feeling that they worked hard making those changes.

Yeah they did, it’s a big change and it’s easy to see tons of work went into this.
It may also slow down people playing the TP and those kittening gold sellers.

Posted by: Sakri.7234

Sakri.7234

So they are making the game easier for TP players. This feature patch just keeps getting worse and worse.

Posted by: Prysin.8542

Prysin.8542

oh stuff it. If that’s all you gotta say, keep it to yourself and stop dampening the mood for the rest of us.

Good job Anet, i like this change. Just the upgrade in performance alone was a huge thing.

Lv 80 Guard, Ranger, Ele, Thief, warr, engi
Currently @ some T1 server in EU

Palador.2170

Oh, gods yes!

I’m not a programmer, but I was studying to be one at one time. Changing the Trading Post is one of those things that can introduce exploits and bugs that will absolutely WRECK this game. Having to do a major overhaul and make a new browser for it? That must feel like having to cut a diamond while someone replaces your jeweler’s hammer with a sledgehammer.

They make brief mention of building it for future updates. What that means is “We built it so we can write and plug in new things without having to go through all this again, because we DO NOT want to have to go through all this again. Ever.”

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

I don’t know why they didn’t just call it “Trading Post 2.0” in the “hint” name. I guess that would have been giving it away…

That said, even glancing over it, I could see quite a few, “Yes, I’m glad you’re making that easier now” moments for me. It will take some getting used to, no doubt, but I’m happy to see the UI getting some much needed attention.

Or words to that effect.

Posted by: Illuminati.2431

Illuminati.2431

Yep, after two years, the trading post will finally be usable. Yay.

nuff said

Posted by: kimeekat.2548

kimeekat.2548

Ah, excellent Thank you to everyone who worked on this; it looks great and theoretically will run even better. So much work to rebuild it from the ground up like that.

Improving the visibility of the fees incurred while using the Trading Post was also important. Previously, we’d show you the listing fee and projected profit when selling, but this left out the successful exchange fee that comes out of the seller’s profit on every transaction. Feeding all those birds that shuttle your wares to the Trading Post isn’t cheap, or so Evon claims. It was better than nothing, but we got a lot of feedback that the projected profit was confusing because we weren’t calling out all the fees. The new selling UI in the Trading Post explicitly calls out both the listing fee and the exchange fee, so there shouldn’t be any surprises when selling.

What I find disturbing is that “projected profit” got removed and replaced by two fees. I am afraid that this was done on purpose, to make people do all the math themselves. The main complaint about “projected profit” (as stated in the post) was not that we wanted to see the fees… the complaint was that it didn’t calculate all the fees.

^ This is my only concern at the moment, besides no wishlist/watch feature, which I assume is a QoL thing that can come in a future update.

Clove Zolan – Bringers of Aggro [Oops] – Blackgate

Posted by: AysonCurrax.3254

AysonCurrax.3254

Get More Gold Button. Pay to Win confirmed.

Posted by: cheshirefox.7026

cheshirefox.7026

it looks like someone put in overtime for no reason
they took a few of the suggestions that were made {because there are blaring issues with the interface} and added some convolutions that don’t seem to make things better, just different.. did the balance team get a hold of evon gnashblade or something? i got through the majority of the article but stopped reading it.. maybe i’m just not seeing it, will have to check it out when it’s out.. no, literally.. ’ll have to

i can outswim a centaur!
when i’m done on an issue
i start talking in nerglish

Posted by: Kaz.5430

Kaz.5430

To those of you who don’t like the idea of the ‘Get more gold’ button, there is one obvious benefit to pointing out that there is an official way to get gold from real life currency. Especially considering a couple of reponses in this thread seemed to be from players that didn’t realise it has always been possible.

The more people who click that link and purchase Gems to trade for in-game gold, the better the exchange rate will be for converting in-game gold to gems.

I’d argue that this button alone could be considered feature-worthy, as it will directly improve the exchange rate that so many people have been moaning about.

Monarchy - 15 year old browser-based game and roleplay community
Table Warfare Miniatures - Armatures, Custom Miniatures, Moulds etc.

Posted by: Romek.4201

Romek.4201

anyone counted the words easy and easier in this blogpost?

anyway – i like the change

Posted by: PookieDaWombat.6209

PookieDaWombat.6209

I can’t help but be worried about the big “BUY MOAR GOLD!” Button at the top. Im hoping its just a link to the Currency Converter though.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAhoooboy, oh my…HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

[OTR] – Greck Howlbane – Guardian
Soraya Mayhew – Thief
Melissa Koris – Engie – SF for Life!

Celestial.4381

So they are making the game easier for TP players. This feature patch just keeps getting worse and worse.

Not just TP “players”. Anyone who EVER uses the TP for anything will be getting new search features and better performance. I suppose if you gather and craft everything for yourself, these changes won’t mean anything, but I don’t think that is a very big proportion of the player base.

Labjax.2465

^ This is my only concern at the moment, besides no wishlist/watch feature, which I assume is a QoL thing that can come in a future update.

Wait, there isn’t going to be a projected profit button?

Or words to that effect.

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/bltc/I-think-it-is-time-to-finally-fix-the-TP

Thank you for listening and getting this fixed!

I do hope the back items are filterable and we can search for foods by stat too. Love this update so much.

Posted by: One Prarie Outpost.4860

One Prarie Outpost.4860

Get More Gold Button. Pay to Win confirmed.

Not sure where you’ve been but Gems have always been able to be converted to Gold. Gems have always been for sale. Therefore there has never been a conspiracy or coverup that this is available. Might as well say that the sun is hot…

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

Yep, after two years, the trading post will finally be usable. Yay.

nuff said

Gotta say, this is the attitude (and support of said attitude) that this place could use SO much less of….it’s just exhausting to read this constant tripe….

They improve something and what they get is not “thanks!” but “about time!”…..

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Posted by: garganor.9824

garganor.9824

My concern is related to the most important aspect of selling something for me… How much profit will I make. This picture doesn’t seem to show the profit.

Attachments:

Celestial.4381

it will certainly not work for a good while because you cant access the data in the same way anymore. I am not even sure if you will be able to grab the URL in the same way you could before since it will run on a different ingame browser, so probably not on awesomium. I guess time will tell. this is part of the reason why i was hoping they would finally release the API v2.

I hope they can eventually get it worked out. Sounds like a lot of the performance issues they were working out had to do with the TP browser individually downloading item icons from an external server, rather than loading them from the game files that players already have. Hopefully this in itself won’t impact the process of gathering raw numbers from the TP browser.

Posted by: anzenketh.3759

anzenketh.3759

Possibly. It depends what they do with the following API to my understanding.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/community/api/Guide-to-the-Black-Lion-Trading-Co-API/first

Images and vendor prices are pulled from the official API so they will not likely be affected to my understanding.

In Game: Storm Bluff Isle — Anzz, Anzenketh Kyoto

Labjax.2465

My concern is related to the most important aspect of selling something for me… How much profit will I make. This picture doesn’t seem to show the profit.

Yeah… to be honest, I prefer having projected profit be a little bit off, over having one extra number that means nothing to me unless I pull out a calculator. :/

Or words to that effect.

Posted by: Lunar Sunset.8742

Lunar Sunset.8742

BUY MORE GOLD button ..

does this mean we can buy gold for IRL money?

We always could but yeah I was focusing on that little bit more than the new UI. Seems like they are really trying to up their gem sales. >..>

Sunset
50/50 GWAMM x3
I quit how I want

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

Trading Post, Mini Pets.
How is this supposed to bring bored players back?

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Kind of funny that players comment on how they don’t care for the game being ‘dumbed down’, and then comment on how difficult it would be to do some simple math to figure out what the projected profit would be. smh

Relshdan.6854

…. I’ve not been thrilled by anything announced.

They do their job, it’s a long-term endeavour, but making a big deal out of this… That’s why I’m disappointed: I was told my experience will be better, and as of now, I’m not sure it’ll change anything.

i think the main problem is the hyperbolic language and prolonged pacing of these “preview blogs”.

you can’t use the word “galore” to represent 2 or 3 things. you really shouldn’t use the term “exciting” to describe an attempt to give megaserver the functionality it was supposed to have when it luanched.

and why space this out over 3 weeks? its absurd to have an entire blog devoted to the cammander tag changes, and then a separate one about a new Wvw ability line and trap, and then yet another separate blog about a wvw tournament….combine them into one.

this feature patch wouldn’t look or “seem” nearly as underwhelming if the info was given over the course of a single week in early august (that way, any reactions to some of these could be responded to).

its as much a perception thing as it is a reality thing.

MARA (EU) Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

“buy more gold” button shown in picture=tab to currency converter. Why have a whole system set up to be able to convert gems to gold, then skip that entire system to be able to buy gold directly? Doesn’t really make sense, and in fact seems that it would be counter productive.

A little logic never hurt anyone.

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

“They” don’t want us to see our meager earnings I guess.

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

That does seem to be a rather large oversight…..tho I never liked the term “profit” for that display value, at least it was there.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Relshdan.6854

Trading Post, Mini Pets.
How is this supposed to bring bored players back?

its not.
they are gambling that making the game stronger for the necessary new players to keep the game going, is more important now than trying to retain vets or bring back old players.

to be fair….only real content, not QoL changes, are able to bring old players back. they seem to be in no hurry to add things like precsursor hunts, new races, skills, traits, etc.

MARA (EU) Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: KOPPER.1458

KOPPER.1458

Overall a very nice change. Tons of work and resources went into this for sure. 2 things that either worry or bother me. “Get More Gold” button. (was it necessary? —I am going to guess this is buying gems to then trade for gold.) I am a little worried about the message this sends. But am probably over thinking / reacting to it. And the second thing is the apparent loss of the “profit gained”. Knowing the fee’s is great but in the end I want to know how much money I am going to get.

Sure we can all do the math but this UI change is all about making life easier. Excluding that total profit after costs doesn’t really make life easier.

I also found it a little odd they mentioned that you can sell from anywhere. You can already do that. But perhaps the point in all that was to make new users aware that they can do that.

Overall a good change, I look forward to it.

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

The fees should go in between the unit price and the total, replace the total price with total price after costs – TPAC.

Edit: Oh, I guess I haven’t said this yet – I like the overhaul otherwise very much.

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

(edited by Rouven.7409)

Posted by: Sakri.7234

Sakri.7234

So where is the new content promised for us veteran players last week? I see only UI polish that was long overdue. I expected precursor crafting, housing, new skills, new profession or something else to keep me playing this.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

/sighs

Once again, no “new content” was promised in this feature patch. New features were promised.

And this one’s a doozy. Thanks, ANet!