Trait System Rework?

Trait System Rework?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Profession and combat improvements are also marketable, generate interest and increase retention rates.

Uh really? I don’t ever remember seeing any company trying to get interest in their game by saying “come play our game, we have a new balance patch out!”.

There are a number of mmo who have made big class improvements and used it as a marketing tool because it sparks interest…

Are you saying that if Anet got serious about revamping professions they wouldn’t highlight it? Revamping professions means that it improves the user experience in pve, raids, wvw, spvp, for esports…

Players have begged for years for improvements, and many have had a lot of issues with professions design and combat elements, so making big improvements is sellable to current and old players. It’s also something to take note of for new players… Any big changes would be noteworthy, and I could easily pluck a whole bunch mmo news to show you, but I’m not going to spam stuff from other games here…

And if you think profession improvements are not important, then it’s useless to respond to you and get this thread off track.

Let’s get back on topic of traits here.

The need to “revamp” anything implies a pretty serious previous screw up. The more things affected, the bigger the previous problem. I don’t think that is a great way to advertise any product. “Hey we have completely revamped our car’s design. It no longer randomly explodes.” It would also take a very shameless person to do that. Actually the April patch could be categorized as this type of fix.

Also change does not equal improvement as we have seen already …

Trait System Rework?

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

Professions and combat are the main core game elements, and almost everything is designed around these professions and how combat unfolds… These areas are greater than your content drought…

True, but you have failed to show how the current system is so bad or underdeveloped that it needs fixing. All that has happened so far in this thread is a couple of people have voiced their subjective opinion on this matter.

All in all, the complaints about the new trait system have died down after a period of accustomisation.

Also the argument here is for a revamp and change of the current system. This has nothing to do with balance. That is a sepperate issue entirely unless you show how the current system has such big flaws that balance would not be possible.

are you implying there haven’t been any other suggestions to improve traits on these forums? Are you implying that traits are not part of the balance equation?

You are silly if you think the devs can’t work on multiple things…

Anything the developers do costs ressources. In this case mostly human ressources. While some things might take less extra time, every bit of extra work will ultimately require something else to be put on hold. Especially if you are working on something as complex as a complete combat revamp.

Who is kidding himself in this case I wonder?

are you saying Anet is not capable of improving professions over time and working on other content? are your expectations of Anet really that low?

Edit- spend some time on the profession, pvp and wvw forums and you’ll see the complaints that far outweigh this content drought.

Please show me a time when the pvp/wvw forums were not full of complaints. It’s in the nature of the game mode and it’s competative nature that people will blame others or balance instead of their own mistakes.

That being said, please do go read the wvw forums. The main issue there will be content drought (which has been a topic for over 1.5 years now or even longer) and not class balance. Especially since the new HoT maps failed and the old borderlands had to be reintroduced.

are you saying that there hasn’t been feedback on professions in the sections I mentioned?

Edit 2- and your content is coming on the 26th. Your content xpac is being worked on by 100 devs. Your raid content is being worked on… You may not value profession improvements, but there are players who do, so don’t think this team is not capable of fulfilling important requests like these too…

You still haven’t shown that a revamp would improve the situation nor have you shown that the current system is flawed.

I brought 2 suggestions… Reorganize and combine similar traits and open up the trait system which would mean greater build flexibility, or reorganize and combine traits more sensibly into categories to create more defined builds. Those hardly needed an essay of explanation.

To argue that “look your content is coming” so people should stop demanding content or focus on content just shows your inexperience with MMO titles. Content developement is a constant process. As such ressource allocation is vital (read MO last post about how much work goes into Season 3) and when faced between a working trait and skill system versus game content, I doubt a majority of players will select the former as priority currently or in the near future.

It’s helpful if you read the full conversation between another poster and put things into better context before you reply.

Your rethoric question format while fun provides no arguments(especially when it doesn’t even address the point made). Until you actually provide some arguments there is no reason to continue this discussion.

As far as the answers to your rethoric questions:

are you saying Anet is not capable of improving professions over time and working on other content? are your expectations of Anet really that low?

No, that is not what I said.

No, still not what I said.

are you saying that there hasn’t been feedback on professions in the sections I mentioned?

Nope, again not what I said. People can actually read what you write on these forums. Lacking reading comprehension will stop you in your tracks.

I brought 2 suggestions… Reorganize and combine similar traits and open up the trait system which would mean greater build flexibility, or reorganize and combine traits more sensibly into categories to create more defined builds. Those hardly needed an essay of explanation.

You provided a subjective unedjucated opinion of what you believe would work. Not what I asked for.

It’s helpful if you read the full conversation between another poster and put things into better context before you reply.

Oh I did and going by his reply and your re-reply I’m not sure I need context.

(edited by Cyninja.2954)

Trait System Rework?

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

Your basic argument is… “Don’t improve professions because we need content”…

Nope. It’s, “The game needs a system for regular, sustained release of playable content more than it needs to fix something that is not broken.”

Well there has been 4 years of feedback on professions, and much of it goes ignored…

Much of the feedback on professions is ignored because it ignores the fundamentals of MMO class design much as your trait revamp ideas ignore the idea of opportunity costs.

You are getting your content that’s being produced as we speak, so no need to act as if things aren’t coming down the pipeline or that arenanet is some impoverished game company that can’t at some point make improvements to professions.

ANet has acknowledged the need for a sustained release cadence, and have yet to prove they can pull it off. They took 6 devs off the LW 2.0 team with the stated purpose being that they better served the game’s needs working on content. This move delayed the provision of a feature that people spent money on HoT to get access to. What does that suggest to you about ANet’s willingness to split their resources too much?

Convincing you? I’m not here to appease you so feel free to look up all the feedback on balance, useless traits and skills, certain disparities between professions, other glaring issues…

Why would I need to be appeased? As to convincing me, if you can’t convince me that your proposed revamp is needed, you sure aren’t going to convince ANet. I’ve seen loads of comments about useless traits and skills, disparities between professions, etc. As before, a trait revamp would have little to no impact on the volume of such complaints.

There are many facets to the game, but to swoop in here and say professions don’t need work, given all the feedback, is obviously you not paying attention.

Strawman. I never said that professions should not be worked on. There’s a lot of room between, “Let’s completely revamp the traits system and ignore opportunity costs so players can have what they want,” and “There should be ongoing efforts to balance the professions and tweaking traits should be part of that effort.”

Spend some time digging through the profession forums for your trait and other feedback.

I already spend too much time there, but thanks for the suggestion. Mostly what I see re traits is either advice on a build, or balance suggestions. Trait Balance is part of ongoing profession balance efforts and does not in any way require an out and out new system. Again, you have not proved that your suggestion is either needed or wanted by any more than yourself and maybe a few others. Address that issue, if you can, and want to advance your agenda._

Please, no more systems reworks. The game needs the devs to focus on a sustainable release cadence of new content. They’ve already reinvented major aspects of the game’s systems multiple times. Sometimes, the perfect is the enemy of the good.

Actually, yes, your basic argument for this thread was “don’t improve professions because we need content.”… If you haven’t noticed, you are getting new LS content and a full xpac of content as well… Anet is also capable of working on multiple things, or are you unaware of that as well?

I brought a suggestion so either like or dislike the suggestion, but dont act as if profession development is not important or that even more content needs to come to a complete halt if the devs work on other areas…

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

Trait System Rework?

Swagger.1459

Professions and combat are the main core game elements, and almost everything is designed around these professions and how combat unfolds… These areas are greater than your content drought…

True, but you have failed to show how the current system is so bad or underdeveloped that it needs fixing. All that has happened so far in this thread is a couple of people have voiced their subjective opinion on this matter.

All in all, the complaints about the new trait system have died down after a period of accustomisation.

Also the argument here is for a revamp and change of the current system. This has nothing to do with balance. That is a sepperate issue entirely unless you show how the current system has such big flaws that balance would not be possible.

are you implying there haven’t been any other suggestions to improve traits on these forums? Are you implying that traits are not part of the balance equation?

Anything the developers do costs ressources. In this case mostly human ressources. While some things might take less extra time, every bit of extra work will ultimately require something else to be put on hold. Especially if you are working on something as complex as a complete combat revamp.

Edit- spend some time on the profession, pvp and wvw forums and you’ll see the complaints that far outweigh this content drought.

Please show me a time when the pvp/wvw forums were not full of complaints. It’s in the nature of the game mode and it’s competative nature that people will blame others or balance instead of their own mistakes.

That being said, please do go read the wvw forums. The main issue there will be content drought (which has been a topic for over 1.5 years now or even longer) and not class balance. Especially since the new HoT maps failed and the old borderlands had to be reintroduced.

Edit 2- and your content is coming on the 26th. Your content xpac is being worked on by 100 devs. Your raid content is being worked on… You may not value profession improvements, but there are players who do, so don’t think this team is not capable of fulfilling important requests like these too…

You still haven’t shown that a revamp would improve the situation nor have you shown that the current system is flawed.

To argue that “look your content is coming” so people should stop demanding content or focus on content just shows your inexperience with MMO titles. Content developement is a constant process. As such ressource allocation is vital (read MO last post about how much work goes into Season 3) and when faced between a working trait and skill system versus game content, I doubt a majority of players will select the former as priority currently or in the near future.

Your rethoric question format while fun provides no arguments(especially when it doesn’t even address the point made). Until you actually provide some arguments there is no reason to continue this discussion.

Nope, again not what I said. People can actually read what you write on these forums. Lacking reading comprehension will stop you in your tracks.

You provided a subjective unedjucated opinion of what you believe would work. Not what I asked for.

It’s helpful if you were to follow the conversation more closely if you want to respond…

You…

“To argue that “look your content is coming” so people should stop demanding content or focus on content just shows your inexperience with MMO titles.”

Indigo…

“Please, no more systems reworks. The game needs the devs to focus on a sustainable release cadence of new content. They’ve already reinvented major aspects of the game’s systems multiple times. Sometimes, the perfect is the enemy of the good.[/quote]

Me…

“Edit 2- and your content is coming on the 26th. Your content xpac is being worked on by 100 devs. Your raid content is being worked on… You may not value profession improvements, but there are players who do, so don’t think this team is not capable of fulfilling important requests like these too…”

If you are fully paying attention to the discussion you will not find anywhere that I say “people should stop demanding content or focus on content”… In fact, Indigo is the one who doesn’t want any other area developed. You also happened to miss me saying that the devs are capable of working on multiple areas…

Either like or dislike the actual suggestions, but let’s not turn this thread into 3rd party discussions.

Trait System Rework?

Posted by: TheRandomGuy.7246

TheRandomGuy.7246

Current system is decent. You can’t make that many absolutely useless builds now like you could before.

Trait System Rework?

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

It’s helpful if you were to follow the conversation more closely if you want to respond…

You…

“To argue that “look your content is coming” so people should stop demanding content or focus on content just shows your inexperience with MMO titles.”

Indigo…

“Please, no more systems reworks. The game needs the devs to focus on a sustainable release cadence of new content. They’ve already reinvented major aspects of the game’s systems multiple times. Sometimes, the perfect is the enemy of the good.

Me…

“Edit 2- and your content is coming on the 26th. Your content xpac is being worked on by 100 devs. Your raid content is being worked on… You may not value profession improvements, but there are players who do, so don’t think this team is not capable of fulfilling important requests like these too…”

If you are fully paying attention to the discussion you will not find anywhere that I say “people should stop demanding content or focus on content”… In fact, Indigo is the one who doesn’t want any other area developed. You also happened to miss me saying that the devs are capable of working on multiple areas…

Either like or dislike the actual suggestions, but let’s not turn this thread into 3rd party discussions.

Assuming no developers are sitting idle around the current human ressources at arenanet are occupied with working on “stuff”.

Saying they can work on more “stuff” or different “stuff” parallel does not solve the actual problem of them being completely planed out. Thus asking for developers to work on different “stuff” and arguing that this is possible because a person can be assigned different tasks is non-sense. That is unless you advocate they move some of their attention away from work they are currently doing. I’m not sure why this is such a hard concept to understand.

Yes, new pve content (which is desperately needed) is coming on the 26th, and has been in the works for who knows how many months. Moving along this line forward, any ressources removed from content creation now will create less content in the future. People opposing a trait revamp due to conflict with content creation are arguing future content quantity and/or quality would suffer. This is magnified by the fact that there is still no proper argument that the current system is so flawed or bad that it requires such a step.

(edited by Cyninja.2954)

Trait System Rework?

Posted by: Traced.3495

Traced.3495

I hate their work on traits. It is traits I watch with some interest in case they decide next to overhaul it all to something I don’t hate.
But I know not to get used to that either as Anet is restless, it will once again become something completely different.

let the sky fall

Trait System Rework?

Swagger.1459

You…

Indigo…

“Please, no more systems reworks. The game needs the devs to focus on a sustainable release cadence of new content. They’ve already reinvented major aspects of the game’s systems multiple times. Sometimes, the perfect is the enemy of the good.

Me…

Assuming no developers are sitting idle around the current human ressources at arenanet are occupied with working on “stuff”.

Saying they can work on more “stuff” or different “stuff” parallel does not solve the actual problem of them being completely planed out. Thus asking for developers to work on different “stuff” and arguing that this is possible because a person can be assigned different tasks is non-sense. That is unless you advocate they move some of their attention away from work they are currently doing. I’m not sure why this is such a hard concept to understand.

Yes, new pve content (which is desperately needed) is coming on the 26th, and has been in the works for who knows how many months. Moving along this line forward, any ressources removed from content creation now will create less content in the future. People opposing a trait revamp due to conflict with content creation are arguing future content quantity and/or quality would suffer. This is magnified by the fact that there is still no proper argument that the current system is so flawed or bad that it requires such a step.

There are multiple different teams that work on stuff…

Profession balance is on the radar, and splits between pve and pvp skills are in the works… Some changes are coming so it’s not unreasonable to make suggestions for traits.

Your last sentence… Players have asked for trait changes and reworks so I provided a suggestion. You may peruse the forums for the “proper argument” you seek on this matter.

This has been derailed long enough.

(edited by Swagger.1459)

Trait System Rework?

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

You…

Indigo…

Me…

There are multiple different teams that work on stuff…

Profession balance is on the radar, and splits between pve and pvp skills are in the works… Some changes are coming so it’s not unreasonable to make suggestions for traits.

Your last sentence… Players have asked for trait changes and reworks so I provided a suggestion. You may peruse the forums for the “proper argument” you seek on this matter.

This has been derailed long enough.

Players have been asking for trait changes and reworks since launch. We’ve had them overhauled twice so far, and people still ask and complain. I hope that they don’t make any structural changes to the trait system any more because the current one is a great balance between, well, balance and flexibility. The restriction on Trait Selection serves a purpose.

Also – to the guys complaining about warrior traits. As a warrior main myself, I want to know what the problem is. As it is, the Warrior seems to have one of the better-designed traitlines, with each specialization providing clear thematic benefits.

Trait System Rework?

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

We don’t need yet ANOTHER heavy modification of the system. We need Anet polishes what we have, and fixes all the broken stuff there is still around. No more useless traits, weak weapons and overpowered builds.

Please no more traits until the present ones really work.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Trait System Rework?

Posted by: Moderator

Please remember to be respectful of one another. Insulting or being rude to other community members for any reason is not allowed, and posts will be removed without notice. If someone is breaking the rules, instead of replying with an argument, please report the post so the moderators can review it for possible action.

Trait System Rework?

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

I think the system works okay, is more transparant compared to the old methods. And the “We need the elite spec to survive” might be a reality looking at META builds but for WvW, PvP and honestly in PvE world/exploring you tend to find decent builds in the classic vanilla builds which will lose 2-10% dmg but are often WAYYY more sustainable.

I still run my PU condi mesmer, Terrormancer, Hammer/ mace&focus shout guardian, There is a slight preference for tempest over ele, herald over rev and daredevil over thief but shout heal warrior has it uses still, and can be combined with berserker if you really want to, quickness and fast attacks for CC’s work, though you’ll lose out on support.

I think There is a huge list of builds whcih are still nice, and If you are not solely focussed on “RAID is all” you’ll see…
You can still use foods and runes from HoT, or stats… Viper PU condimesmer? Is nice, in PvE as well… Real bunker necro for WvW? Trailblazer/rabid necro… your dire idea’s just became obsolete … or Minstrels/clerics Guardian for WVW frontlining & healing… it can be done.

Vanilla is more then vanilla was. at least for condi and support

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

Trait System Rework?

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Actually, yes, your basic argument for this thread was “don’t improve professions because we need content.”…

Nope. “Don’t do yet another complete system rework.” and “Don’t improve professions.” are not the same thing.

If you haven’t noticed, you are getting new LS content and a full xpac of content as well… Anet is also capable of working on multiple things, or are you unaware of that as well?

Well, if I was unaware of either, you’ve now told me three times, so I’m certainly aware of it now. Yes, Anet not only is capable of working on multiple things, they are doing so— including general PvE, raids, sPvP, WvW, collections, etc. Despite that flexibility, major gameplay system reworks take a lot of time and effort and can stall other development until the systems the content needs to interact with are determined. I don’t think that taking that risk is warranted, especially for a revamp that would be worse than what we have now.

I brought a suggestion so either like or dislike the suggestion, but dont act as if profession development is not important or that even more content needs to come to a complete halt if the devs work on other areas…

You keep asserting that antipathy to a complete trait rework is the same thing as saying that profession development is unimportant. It isn’t. I’m fine with profession balancing and the expansions to professions that are Elite Specs.

I’ve said multiple times now that your suggestions remove opportunity costs — which is a major consideration in RPG build design. If ANet, in its infinite wisdom, were to decide to do another trait revamp, I would hope it would be to add opportunity costs, not remove them, and that your suggestions would be disregarded.

Trait System Rework?

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

The way they have it set up is the original professions you choose 3 out of 5 specializations which is 10 combinations while one elite specialization and 2 out of 5 also yields 10 combinations. That is why it’s set up like that. Allowing 4 out of 5 creates fewer possibilities, not more.

Internally to each there is 27 possibilities. 27 cubed times 10 is 196,830 possible trait setups for either original or elite. It’s not more possibilities some build crafters are looking for, it the chance to find some combination that creates an OP build that the devs missed.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

(edited by Behellagh.1468)

Trait System Rework?

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

Unnecessary.

The original trait rework was done so that there were less traits, but overall every pick was in its own way valuable.

Further traits added to the system are being done by adding elite specs specifically so they NEVER need to go back and rework the core traits again. That’s the entire reason they designed elite specs, so they can add new build options in a way that doesn’t require complex reworks since they only ever have to balance against core rather than core and every new trait line added between release and the current expansion.

Will they tweak core traits some? Sure. but the entire point is to get to a place where they can STOP tweaking core traits. if there’s a balance issue with a new elite spec, their balance goal is that it can be addressed by altering just that spec rather than messing with the existing ones.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ