Traits Part 2

Traits Part 2

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: PookieDaWombat.6209

PookieDaWombat.6209

Thats a horrifying prospect.

If the goal was to make the process MORE grind-y and less fun over all then yeah, make it a bar to fill.

If they’ve been listening though, and I do mean REALLY listening to what we’ve suggested for Trait revamp they’d know that a common theme that we’ve expressed here has been to make obtaining the traits actually meaningful.

make the things we need to do to get them have something to do with the actual traits themselves AND (this is the most important suggestion) make sure they are level appropriate. Add to this a lowered cost for purchasing the traits for those that want to buy them outright and I think most (not all), but most people that have been at these threads would be satisfied.

Am i wrong in any of those 3 key changes being the most wanted from a lot of people in here?

[OTR] – Greck Howlbane – Guardian
Soraya Mayhew – Thief
Melissa Koris – Engie – SF for Life!

Traits Part 2

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

If the goal was to make the process MORE grind-y and less fun over all then yeah, make it a bar to fill.

If they’ve been listening though, and I do mean REALLY listening to what we’ve suggested for Trait revamp they’d know that a common theme that we’ve expressed here has been to make obtaining the traits actually meaningful.

make the things we need to do to get them have something to do with the actual traits themselves AND (this is the most important suggestion) make sure they are level appropriate. Add to this a lowered cost for purchasing the traits for those that want to buy them outright and I think most (not all), but most people that have been at these threads would be satisfied.

Am i wrong in any of those 3 key changes being the most wanted from a lot of people in here?

Here’s the thing… at this point, I honestly don’t even care about if earning traits has anything to do with what the trait does, or what profession it is, or anything.

The only thing that matters to me is that it’s not ripping me off, and it’s not grindy every single time I want to level up an alt. So my key points are that I want it to be accessible earlier in the leveling process (First point at level 15, ideally), and the cost to unlock all of them should be under 10g. Honestly, the method by which they are obtained is almost irrelevant to me, at this point, as long as it’s not something I have to grind out, over and over again.

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

Traits Part 2

PookieDaWombat.6209

Here’s the thing… at this point, I honestly don’t even care about if earning traits has anything to do with what the trait does, or what profession it is, or anything.

The only thing that matters to me is that it’s not ripping me off, and it’s not grindy every single time I want to level up an alt. So my key points are that I want it to be accessible earlier in the leveling process (First point at level 15, ideally), and the cost to unlock all of them should be under 10g. Honestly, the method by which they are obtained is almost irrelevant to me, at this point, as long as it’s not something I have to grind out, over and over again.

Sad but true for me as well in many ways. So basically to add to what you said, they also need to make them account bound once obtained once IMO.

Unfortunately for me I’m not sure that will be enough for me to buy HoT at this point. Its that whole fool me once, fool me twice thing. :/

Soraya Mayhew – Thief

Traits Part 2

Posted by: Shaaba.5672

Shaaba.5672

Yeah, I agree that I am past the point of caring as long as it’s not grindy. I like the idea of seeking out trait events that are meaningful, but I don’t trust them to do it right. I don’t even really care about the account bound thing as long as the traits are not a chore for each and every alt I make. Map completion and group events (Grub? please) and buggy content have to go.

Being level appropriate is a big one too. I don’t mind traveling around the world to get them, but I want to know that when I do find the appropriate place, I can do the content by myself and on my own schedule.

The cost of buying them right now is such a joke I can’t even believe someone thought it was a good idea. Sure, they should be a little spendy if you want to shortcut it and just buy them, but my lord, the current cost is exorbitant and in no way feels like a fair deal.

I haven’t been playing for the past few weeks and doubt anything would pull me back any time soon/ So yeah, unless HoT looks uh-mazing and fixes some core issues, I’m out. Even then I’m not sure because I don’t appreciate the stance on communication. We’re (mostly) not children. Grow a thicker skin, Anet and suck it up. Obviously there will be people outraged that OMG you PROMISED! It’s gonna happen and people deal with that kind of thing all the time. I don’t expect total transparency, of course, but give us a little respect. That’s pretty much all I’m asking for. Once that is lost, it’s hard to earn it back.

(edited by Shaaba.5672)

Traits Part 2

Posted by: cyraxisragnarok.4603

cyraxisragnarok.4603

To borrow from my post in the NPE feedback thread:

- Trait unlock system, while on the surface looks like a great idea, is a hassle. On my post NGE characters, I’ve had to either go around my hindquarters to get to my elbow…er trait unlocks, or simply save up skill points/cash and buy them. With the engineer in particular, I have had to buy all of his, since I literally had none unlocked upon unlocking traits in general. If Anet insists on keeping this in place to promote exploration of the game…maybe make the unlocks account wide? Otherwise, I would simply ask to have the old system back.

Traits Part 2

Posted by: Lobo Dela Noche.5127

Lobo Dela Noche.5127

To borrow from my post in the NPE feedback thread:

- Trait unlock system, while on the surface looks like a great idea, is a hassle. On my post NGE characters, I’ve had to either go around my hindquarters to get to my elbow…er trait unlocks, or simply save up skill points/cash and buy them. With the engineer in particular, I have had to buy all of his, since I literally had none unlocked upon unlocking traits in general. If Anet insists on keeping this in place to promote exploration of the game…maybe make the unlocks account wide? Otherwise, I would simply ask to have the old system back.

They already had map completion and the world explorer achievement to get people to choose to explore the world if the lore and atmosphere weren’t enough to get the person to do it on their own. Using traits to do it is a bully tactic so they can get their metrics to say what they want they want them to.

Traits Part 2

Posted by: Lobo Dela Noche.5127

Lobo Dela Noche.5127

In a way you kind of are asking for a progress bar. Fall X amount of times and unlock you reduced falling damage trait would most likely show up as a bar like in the achievements. Which honestly would not bother me as long as its not a stupidly kittened amount of times to fill the bar. Maybe if the bars weren’t available till you unlocked the tier its in. Then make it something like fall 20 times. Anything more than that and it would be a stupid grind.

But none of that will happen anyways as it will take to much work and arenanet only does half – @ssed stuff.

Traits Part 2

Posted by: Eponet.4829

Eponet.4829

Supposedly, it was intended to encourage experimentation, so, in the vein of that, make them free to unlock so that we can actually experiment.

Traits Part 2

PookieDaWombat.6209

I’ve tried playing the game again for my wife. Specifically to help her get T6 mats for her legendary (that even she is on the fence now about wanting to make since her love of the game has been hurt severely by Anet’s design decisions) and its real hard to even do that lately.

:(

Soraya Mayhew – Thief

Traits Part 2

Posted by: eyestrain.3056

eyestrain.3056

Every new character i’ve rolled i’ve had a moment of decision. To level up in pve, or just use tomes?
Before trait change and npe, i always leveled in pve. Now i blast through tomes because holy kitten kitten that noise. The first 30 levels might as well not even exist with such a stripped down character.

Traits Part 2

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Every new character i’ve rolled i’ve had a moment of decision. To level up in pve, or just use tomes?
Before trait change and npe, i always leveled in pve. Now i blast through tomes because holy kitten kitten that noise. The first 30 levels might as well not even exist with such a stripped down character.

Inversely, I find the 20-30 stretch somewhat tolerable, since there’s still skill points and such to invest in. (Birthday scroll 20s for the win, though, because agreed, kitten that noise.)

But after 30, after getting that first trait point, I realize how utterly braindead the trait hunt design was. Case in point, I was going to prod a guildie into some combo trait-hunt/RP time, for giggles. I looked at the list and had the following thoughts:

“100% Blazeridge? F that.”
“Are half of these in WvW? We’re not even on the same server.”
“That trait almost looks reasonable. I wonder if he needs it. Oh wait, it’s in a zone 10 levels too high for him.”
“Maybe I’ll just buy a few.”
“…10 silver a piece and skill points to tacitly support this [expletive]? No thanks.”
“Now I regret bringing it up. Time to apologize and log out.”

After nearly 100 pages of We Hate This text, ANet, can we at least get a hint of the huge apology you’re coding for us? Please?

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Traits Part 2

Posted by: eyestrain.3056

eyestrain.3056

Inversely, I find the 20-30 stretch somewhat tolerable, since there’s still skill points and such to invest in. (Birthday scroll 20s for the win, though, because agreed, kitten that noise.)

But after 30, after getting that first trait point, I realize how utterly braindead the trait hunt design was. Case in point, I was going to prod a guildie into some combo trait-hunt/RP time, for giggles. I looked at the list and had the following thoughts:

“100% Blazeridge? F that.”
“Are half of these in WvW? We’re not even on the same server.”
“That trait almost looks reasonable. I wonder if he needs it. Oh wait, it’s in a zone 10 levels too high for him.”
“Maybe I’ll just buy a few.”
“…10 silver a piece and skill points to tacitly support this [expletive]? No thanks.”
“Now I regret bringing it up. Time to apologize and log out.”

After nearly 100 pages of We Hate This text, ANet, can we at least get a hint of the huge apology you’re coding for us? Please?

My friend got all excited to help me unlock traits on a character since I rarely level characters up anymore and her favorite thing is exploration. I was actually happy to have motivation to do something out of the ordinary until I realized three of them were level 70-80 personal story (no intention of doing on pvp/wvw character), one was 100% lornar pass completion, and the other, my personal favorite was this:
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/The_Long_Way_Around

-After interacting with each data pad, a dialog menu opens, and you must select the first option. It’s extremely hard to do this while moving (the dialog window closes if you move away), and it’s extremely unlikely that you’ll avoid getting hit while standing still to use the menu. The risen hands are indestructible, but the user interface is the real killer.
-You have to actually press Leave after deactivating instead of just swimming away.

FUN

Traits Part 2

Posted by: Arrow.4619

Arrow.4619

Tried that trait hunt with my wife recently. That particular puzzle/trait point made me what to throw something at my screen. It used to be that you could swim through kitten in the upper left area and get the chest. So “the long way around” was the simplest way to go. Some less than fully intellectually evolved person decided that wasn’t good enough for the trait unlock so they blocked that method of getting past the force field wall and turned the entire thing into a ridiculous exercise for “two blues, a green and trait.” I sincerely doubt more than 1 in 10 people who get that trait actually get it completing the puzzle – and those that do, certainly don’t do it solo. That trait hunt one is truly an epic fail on ANe’t part.

Nerf Shadow Arts condition cleanse. Gut the
Acrobatics trait line. Then sell it back
to them for $50. Brilliant! – ghost of P.T. Barnum

(edited by Arrow.4619)

Traits Part 2

Shaaba.5672

I didn’t even realize that was a trait unlock. I stopped hunting long before that. I have leveled a character all the way to 80 with this system, but I refuse to buy all the traits I am missing and I gave up on the trait hunt, frankly, because I hate it. She just sits there now and I don’t actually play her. I am still just hoping that when or if traits are fixed, I can pick them up then.

I say I don’t play her like that is different from my other characters. Truth is, I don’t play any of them anymore, not even for the SHINEY log in rewards. Boo.

Traits Part 2

Posted by: Jana.6831

Jana.6831

Alright,if you guys are on EU, msg me in game, I’ll port you. to

If you need tips on how to do it, I might give them as well, just ask.

Traits Part 2

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

http://www.tentonhammer.com/news/guild-wars-2/guild-wars-2-heart-thorns-specializations-and-jon-peters-qa

trait aquisition, now based on skill points, which are getting renamed and dumped into crafting

traits/skills packaged together as you level a bar.
by 80 you theoretcially will have enough for some build variety.

Traits Part 2

Posted by: Esreyr.6304

Esreyr.6304

Question about the new trait lines. We are going from 13 select-able traits to 9 for each tree. (https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/specializations-part-one-a-primer/)

So a difference of 4*5 = 20 traits are getting cut.

So that is 20 traits ANet allows us to buy with effort or gold+skill_points. Anyone else have a problem with this? Should new characters, as of last April, expect some sort of refund?

Traits Part 2

Posted by: Tyrantis.8640

Tyrantis.8640

Number 1: We have to buy how many sets of armor for each class and character? I have 8 characters, 6 of which are level 80. I need to go spend how much gold to buy secondary armor for each situation? That’s crap. It’s convenient for you because more gold = more money for aNet.

Number 2: Bank slots and bag slots for armor. It’s convenient that since my characters will be running multiple armors that I will need to purchase more bank room and more bad slots. More bag slots and bank slots sold = more money for aNet.
Since aNet is not adding multiple build slots, then you will need to store this additional armor in your inventory. This is pretty much garbage to me.

Traits Part 2

phys.7689

Number 1: We have to buy how many sets of armor for each class and character? I have 8 characters, 6 of which are level 80. I need to go spend how much gold to buy secondary armor for each situation? That’s crap. It’s convenient for you because more gold = more money for aNet.

Number 2: Bank slots and bag slots for armor. It’s convenient that since my characters will be running multiple armors that I will need to purchase more bank room and more bad slots. More bag slots and bank slots sold = more money for aNet.
Since aNet is not adding multiple build slots, then you will need to store this additional armor in your inventory. This is pretty much garbage to me.

yeah, this change almost requires a revamp of the armor/inventory/armor aquiring system

Traits Part 2

Rauderi.8706

Many alts; handle it!
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Traits Part 2

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

Question about the new trait lines. We are going from 13 select-able traits to 9 for each tree. (https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/specializations-part-one-a-primer/)

So a difference of 4*5 = 20 traits are getting cut.

So that is 20 traits ANet allows us to buy with effort or gold+skill_points. Anyone else have a problem with this? Should new characters, as of last April, expect some sort of refund?

No, because those 20 traits will primarily be traits that the majority of people aren’t bothering to buy nor earn anyway because they’re not good/worth using. That’s why they’re getting scratched.

Also no because too bad. That’s not how these games works.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Traits Part 2

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

Ok, so here are my questions of the new system:

• Will the new unlocking tracks be horrible like the previous trait unlocking system? Worse?
  • If I have a level 80 character with everything unlocked, will I have to do anything to maintain all the existing stuff, or will the only thing left to unlock be my specialization?
  • If I have a level 80 character that still has basic skills left unlocked, should I unlock them all now before this change? Will they remain locked after the changeover, requiring that I do a whole bunch of hoop-jumping to unlock them if I later find a need for them?
  • If I hate all the master traits in a line, but like two of the adept traits, is there any way to slot the two adept traits (as you currently can), or am I stuck with one of the junk master traits (as would currently be the case if I couldn’t slot two adepts)?
  • Is there any way to go part way into more than three lines to build a more “balanced” build, or are we forced into just maxing out three and nothing in the other two?
  • If I have a ton of spare skillpoints/scrolls, would I be better off cashing them in before or after this change?
  • From the interview, I know that you think that a new offhand weapon can be “just as good” as a new two-handed weapon, but accepting as fact that they simply are not, will classes that aren’t getting a two-handed weapon be getting both a main and an offhand?
“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

Traits Part 2

phys.7689

Ok, so here are my questions of the new system:

• Will the new unlocking tracks be horrible like the previous trait unlocking system? Worse?
  • If I have a level 80 character with everything unlocked, will I have to do anything to maintain all the existing stuff, or will the only thing left to unlock be my specialization?
  • If I have a level 80 character that still has basic skills left unlocked, should I unlock them all now before this change? Will they remain locked after the changeover, requiring that I do a whole bunch of hoop-jumping to unlock them if I later find a need for them?
  • If I hate all the master traits in a line, but like two of the adept traits, is there any way to slot the two adept traits (as you currently can), or am I stuck with one of the junk master traits (as would currently be the case if I couldn’t slot two adepts)?
  • Is there any way to go part way into more than three lines to build a more “balanced” build, or are we forced into just maxing out three and nothing in the other two?
  • If I have a ton of spare skillpoints/scrolls, would I be better off cashing them in before or after this change?
  • From the interview, I know that you think that a new offhand weapon can be “just as good” as a new two-handed weapon, but accepting as fact that they simply are not, will classes that aren’t getting a two-handed weapon be getting both a main and an offhand?

1) new traits will be unlocked via hero points, which are like old skill points, but you only get them from leveling to 80, and skill challenges. getting up to 80 will probably unlock 3 lines.
2)old unlocks will probably be reset, they say someone who explored a lot will probably be able to unlock everything (which means old unlocks probably wont matter)
3)think the same answer as 2
4)you gave to use adept in adept, master in master and grandmaster in grandmaster now
5) you can only put into 3 lines, there is no partial lines any more.
6) should you cash in? i dunno depends on TP tradesworld/economies/new items
7) mesmer, is getting offhand, guardian getting 6 shouts, makes me think they too will get an offhand. warrior will probably get an offhand as well

Traits Part 2

Posted by: Esreyr.6304

Esreyr.6304

from the Primer

For example, an elementalist may choose to specialize in Fire Magic, Earth Magic, and Water Magic. The ability to select one, two, and finally three core specializations will unlock as you level your character from 1 to 80.

From the look of the images it appears that mixing two adept traits are no longer possible. So within a tree some combinations of skills are no longer possible. Seems like a step backwards.

I think we have to also choose only 3 trees and can only make builds from those three. So less combinations of trees. Also a step backwards.

But we do get to max out three trees. So maybe more combinations.

I think maybe at the end it might be a wash for build diversity. Some builds will no longer possible. While new build possibilities now exist.

Traits Part 2

Kal Spiro.9745

So will everyone just automatically have their fall damage trait as a built in feature now, do you think?

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist

Traits Part 2

PookieDaWombat.6209

Thanks for the info Anet.

Now…

Are we seeing the new system in place to test with the core system before HoT or do we have to wait until HoT actually drops and learn it all then?

If we are having to wait, do you actually think it wise to pop this new system out a long with an xpac and all of the possible bugs that might go unnoticed?

There are still too many things that seem a bit unclear right now regarding the traits and acquiring them. Specifically how this is less tedious for those of us with alts or those that will make alts. Some further clarification there would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for realizing that you could both tell us information AND include the caveat that its not set in stone yet/things might change and that the world won’t end for uttering those words.

Now that this info has been shared can we start to ACTUALLY dialog WITH the devs around this upcoming change to the system in here to hash out some of those details we have questions about and offer a fruitful back and forth on the subject before it all goes live.

Soraya Mayhew – Thief

Traits Part 2

phys.7689

Thanks for the info Anet.

Now…

Are we seeing the new system in place to test with the core system before HoT or do we have to wait until HoT actually drops and learn it all then?

If we are having to wait, do you actually think it wise to pop this new system out a long with an xpac and all of the possible bugs that might go unnoticed?

There are still too many things that seem a bit unclear right now regarding the traits and acquiring them. Specifically how this is less tedious for those of us with alts or those that will make alts. Some further clarification there would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for realizing that you could both tell us information AND include the caveat that its not set in stone yet/things might change and that the world won’t end for uttering those words.

Now that this info has been shared can we start to ACTUALLY dialog WITH the devs around this upcoming change to the system in here to hash out some of those details we have questions about and offer a fruitful back and forth on the subject before it all goes live.

now getting traits will basically be getting skill point challenges and from leveling

Traits Part 2

Posted by: Aenaos.8160

Aenaos.8160

What is potentially very interesting(not) is that lvl80 characters with all the traits
unlocked and hundreds of skill points available,that have not done all the skill challenges, might have access to less traits in the xpac,since then only the points earned through beating the skill challenges will count towards trait unlocking.
I’m really looking forward(not) to taking each of my 7 alts back to the old zones to grind for hero points.
If this is the case this is another well thought out(not) change.
I am exc*ited(not).

-Win a pip,lose a pip,win a pip,lose a pip,lose a pip,
lose a pip,win 2 pips,lose a pip,lose a pip…………..-
-Go go Espartz.-

(edited by Aenaos.8160)

Traits Part 2

Posted by: TurtleofPower.5641

TurtleofPower.5641

So we’ve arrived at a character build system take 3?

Well props to them for going there. I really hope this time it’s the “one” though.

Traits Part 2

PookieDaWombat.6209

OK, well that sort of deals with the tedium aspect of it to be sure. Question is, let’s say I have a level 80 Warrior at the moment with some traits unlocked and some skill points on hand that I’ve not bothered touching for some time thanks to the current system…how will what she’s done thus far and what she has in skill points translate/convert to the new system?

Also, as someone else predictably asked in another post: for those traits which were bought at insane prices/skill point costs, how will that investment be returned on them or will they just have to deal with it?

Soraya Mayhew – Thief

Traits Part 2

phys.7689

OK, well that sort of deals with the tedium aspect of it to be sure. Question is, let’s say I have a level 80 Warrior at the moment with some traits unlocked and some skill points on hand that I’ve not bothered touching for some time thanks to the current system…how will what she’s done thus far and what she has in skill points translate/convert to the new system?

Also, as someone else predictably asked in another post: for those traits which were bought at insane prices/skill point costs, how will that investment be returned on them or will they just have to deal with it?

they will likely award hero points based on you level, and the skill point challenges your charachter beat.
all excess skill points converted to mystic forge crafting mats

Traits Part 2

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

yeah, this change almost requires a revamp of the armor/inventory/armor aquiring system

I’ve read the blogs, but I apparently missed the requirement to buy multiple sets of armor. Where/what is that, exactly?

It looks to me like everyone is being moved a wee bit towards a balanced (Celestial) build — with base stats going up by 74 — as one means to maintain similar overall stat numbers. That’s going to mean a small reduction for all “extreme” stat allocations (e.g., a full berserker would have a bit more vitality and toughness but likely a bit less Power and Precision).

We don’t know how much the gear stats will increase, but we do know that there were 14 old trait points, each granting 50 points (barring taking profession mechanic traits, which look like they are being folded into new traits). This would mean 700 stat points. 700 – 74 = 626 (or thereabouts) going to gear. It would seem like stat setups that used the same prefix on all gear would gain more of the stats on that gear, making up most of the lost stat points from traits that granted those same stats.

If you’re talking about builds which use 1 gear prefix, but which gain as many as 700 stat points from traits that are different from those on their gear, why would it not be possible to switch out 1 or 2 pieces of gear to maintain that balance, not a full set (actual numbers would determine the actual number of pieces)? It seems to me that the only ones needing multiple gear sets are those who already need them.

So, what am I missing?

(edited by IndigoSundown.5419)

Traits Part 2

Kal Spiro.9745

No refunds, even if the trait you bought doesn’t exist anymore.

Traits Part 2

PookieDaWombat.6209

So that also means they’ve changed direction on the whole “new ways to gain skill points after level 80” thing. OK, fair enough.

Would still like Anet to chime in on gold spent by players on this current system and if we are seeing this new one roled to core before or with HoT.

Soraya Mayhew – Thief

Traits Part 2

Rauderi.8706

So that also means they’ve changed direction on the whole “new ways to gain skill points after level 80” thing. OK, fair enough.

Would still like Anet to chime in on gold spent by players on this current system and if we are seeing this new one roled to core before or with HoT.

I wouldn’t count on any way of getting money and skill points back. There likely isn’t a reliable way to track expenditures per character (even if there was a metric to determine purchases) versus ones that were owned from pre-April-2014 or earned during BadTraits2.0.

Probably a good idea to save your pennies and points now and hope that we get the new system released well in advance of HoT.

Many alts; handle it!

Traits Part 2

phys.7689

I’ve read the blogs, but I apparently missed the requirement to buy multiple sets of armor. Where/what is that, exactly?

It looks to me like everyone is being moved a wee bit towards a balanced (Celestial) build — with base stats going up by 74 — as one means to maintain similar overall stat numbers. That’s going to mean a small reduction for all “extreme” stat allocations (e.g., a full berserker would have a bit more vitality and toughness but likely a bit less Power and Precision).

We don’t know how much the gear stats will increase, but we do know that there were 14 old trait points, each granting 50 points (barring taking profession mechanic traits, which look like they are being folded into to new traits). this would mean 700 stat points. 700 – 74 = 626 (or thereabouts) going to gear. It would seem like stat setups that used the same prefix on all gear would gain more of the stats on that gear, making up most of the lost stat points from traits that granted those same stats.

If you’re talking about builds which use 1 gear prefix, but which gain as many as 700 stat points from traits that are different from those on their gear, why would it not be possible to switch out 1 or 2 pieces of gear to maintain that balance, not a full set (actual numbers would determine the actual number of pieces)? It seems to me that the only ones needing multiple gear sets are those who already need them.

So, what am I missing?

you are not missing anything you are just ignoring the implication.

before if you wanted to be a little tankier, or a little more heavy DPS you might change your traits.
now you will have to carry around extra armor peices, thats basically the long and short of it. Armor is completely responsible for stats.

Not the end of the world, but as someone who already finds inventory and armor annoying to keep track of/invest in, that will only increase.

a lot of people who only had one set, will now need at least a few new pieces, possibly a lot of peices, which takes up space, and is a hassle to switch

Traits Part 2

Kal Spiro.9745

In the same way that gold spent by players to unlock trait ranks in the old system was not refunded when they made those unlock automatically, gold spent on traits in the current system will not be refunded in the new system.

You don’t need ANet to chime in, that is a fact of life right there.

Traits Part 2

Shaaba.5672

Whoa. Thank you, Anet, for the new information. I don’t have the time to absorb all this just yet, but I wanted to thank you for getting this out to us.

Traits Part 2

Posted by: Kultakorppi.4769

Kultakorppi.4769

I…really don’t see what’s the point in only allowing us to use 3 trait trees at the time and removing some of the traits. Anet is obsessed with making everything “simpler” and it’s taking all the fun out of the game for me.

Traits Part 2

Kal Spiro.9745

I…really don’t see what’s the point in only allowing us to use 3 trait trees at the time and removing some of the traits. Anet is obsessed with making everything “simpler” and it’s taking all the fun out of the game for me.

Says someone who hasn’t used the system, and therefore doesn’t know whether it’s worthy or not.

It probably isn’t better. Simpler is almost never better, just simpler. But still, wait until you’ve actually used it to proclaim how much worse it is.

Traits Part 2

PookieDaWombat.6209

In the same way that gold spent by players to unlock trait ranks in the old system was not refunded when they made those unlock automatically, gold spent on traits in the current system will not be refunded in the new system.

Except for one small difference: The amount of gold many players spent in the new system FAR outstrips the gold spent prior to that.

Now, that being said, I already know Anet will simply be silent on this front until a larger protion of the player base react to the changes, and that won’t happen until it all goes live. And i agree with you it will be a fact of life. Just wondering if Anet has any kind of plan in place to deal with the inevitable or if they will do as someone else suggested elsewhere and try to handle it as they did with the multiple legendary weapons and the wardrobe issue.

Soraya Mayhew – Thief

Traits Part 2

PookieDaWombat.6209

Says someone who hasn’t used the system, and therefore doesn’t know whether it’s worthy or not.

It probably isn’t better. Simpler is almost never better, just simpler. But still, wait until you’ve actually used it to proclaim how much worse it is.

I concur. Its way too abstract right now to really get a feel for how good or bad it may be. I just hope they make it available before HoT drops.

Soraya Mayhew – Thief

Traits Part 2

Kal Spiro.9745

Except for one small difference: The amount of gold many players spent in the new system FAR outstrips the gold spent prior to that.

Now, that being said, I already know Anet will simply be silent on this front until a larger protion of the player base react to the changes, and that won’t happen until it all goes live. And i agree with you it will be a fact of life. Just wondering if Anet has any kind of plan in place to deal with the inevitable or if they will do as someone else suggested elsewhere and try to handle it as they did with the multiple legendary weapons and the wardrobe issue.

Doesn’t matter. That is not actually a difference. They really don’t care. That was the system, and this is the new system. They’re not going to refund anyone for anything because too bad.

Gold is an infinitely available resource. They want that infinitely available resource to dry up as much and as often as possible. Therefore having you lose a ton of gold because of traits you bought is a great idea to them.

The biggest problem with this system appears to be the lack of a continuing gold sink.

Traits Part 2

Posted by: Kultakorppi.4769

Kultakorppi.4769

A big part of the fun in GW2 for me is making crazy builds. Almost every time, this requires me to use traits from all the trait lines, and the new system won’t allow me to do that.

I will, however, wait until it is released to judge it fully. I’m just afraid they’ll remove my favourite traits. IMO, making things simpler almost always makes them worse. (for me, at least. I like things complicated)

I do like the new UI, though.

Traits Part 2

Posted by: EChondo.6750

EChondo.6750

So to clarify something, will we have to buy the expansion to use these new systems coming out? I’m assuming “No”, but every time Anet talks about these things they keep mentioning the expansion as if it’s a requirement.

Traits Part 2

PookieDaWombat.6209

No, the new system will be put in place for everyone (core and HoT players). What they haven’t said was if the new system will be made available before HoT drops or WHEN it drops.

Soraya Mayhew – Thief

Traits Part 2

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

if it ruins everything i will just leave the game, it will permanently show how much GW1 is superior.
if it does improve the game then i will first see in what way, do we still have as much freedom to change traits at any given time or is a point spent at times a point wasted.

Traits Part 2

PookieDaWombat.6209

@Kal:

No.

Not a trivial matter regarding gold. The gold cost was one of the major gripes with this new system for over a year.

Fact is there are a good number of people with a ton of alts (that sometimes only played WvW and therefore have little to NO map complete) that may have bought most if not ALL of their traits under this new system, and now from their (Anet’s) wording about the new systems, might very well see those traits go away simply because they will only have enough hero points to spend as they have levels. This means an incomplete character that was once complete and being out a ton of gold that they most likely scraped together in the first place just to have that complete character.

This is no trivial matter and once that reality hits a larger portion of the player base you will see these boards light up with people raging and it won’t be easy to contain, so:

1) Either Anet tries to get ahead of this horse now or,
2) They will have a small nightmare on their hands

Soraya Mayhew – Thief

Traits Part 2

PookieDaWombat.6209

if it ruins everything i will just leave the game, it will permanently show how much GW1 is superior.
if it does improve the game then i will first see in what way, do we still have as much freedom to change traits at any given time or is a point spent at times a point wasted.

I think they mentioned in there and respeccing will be just as easy.

Soraya Mayhew – Thief

Traits Part 2

Posted by: Caoin Shidh.8301

Caoin Shidh.8301

With the new changes to specializations (formerly known as traits) are the Devs taking into consideration current trait builds that pull from more than 3 trait lines?

For example, my ele is arcane focused and puts 2 points into every line to get the attunement bonuses and “stance dance”. Is this going to be streamlined into just the arcane specialization now?

Another example, my guardian took every single trait that granted or boosted retaliation. These were spread over 4 lines. Will I still be able to get as much retaliation under the specializations as I currently do with traits?

I’m sure there are a slew of other examples of interesting builds that spanned over 4 or 5 trait lines. Again, are the devs looking at these builds to incorporate them into specializations?