Understanding a Shortsighted Community.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: McDili.1549

McDili.1549

Playing the game for 46 days (or roughly 1100/24) is not the same as being here the entire time. You talk about ‘wait and see’ when we have.

Sorry to say, the game keeps getting worse. You just need to get out of the honeymoon phase and realize it.

I had a verbose response that would have been tactfull and made a point but I think im ajust go with this.

SHUTUP that mess of wall of blathering loving hear self talk wall of text.

What a crock.. OP is a noob and I have bene here since day 1.. These developers do not play this game. ok?
Warriors? they buffed kick ( not really ) and added stats to banners no one uses becauseeee they are so clunky. No need to talk about quickness..
Engineers? Most of that long list of crap was bug fixes..
Eles? Left them OP as hell..
Mesmers hell they got a buff! left them OP as hell..
Thieves? kinda left alone didnt hurt them.

Now this is from a pvp wvw perspective, PvE ya’ll do w/e but GUILDWARS was founded on pvp balance and fun. Its not. Its a badly managed mess. They don’t play the game their developing..if they DID they wouldnt do this kinda stuff becuase its stupid.

I think I like this response better

How do you know they don’t play the game?

I’ve also been here a while, since beta weekend event 1.

I can agree that there are balance issues, remember this game is still young. I have an Engineer as well, and I love playing it but have hard time finding groups because of how lacking it is. I understand that there are problems, but I also understand that balance is not the only thing that ANet has on their plate. That being said, they made a ton of fixes with the Engineer this patch. While the class is still VERY lacking, it is made clear, as I said before, that they are paying attention to it. That is irrefutable.

They still have a good ways to go before there is a good balance but it will take time, again I implore you to take into consideration how young this game is.

I can call people names as well but that would just take away from the point I’d be trying to make, there is no sense in doing that. You are focusing solely on the negativity of this patch and what it didn’t fix and what you didn’t agree with. This is exactly the short-sighted attitude the OP was talking about. If you focus on negativity of anything, you will always be disappointed.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

I still play, I still like the game. I will continue to play for as long as I continue to like it. I’ve been critical at times. I will continue to be critical when I feel it’s warranted. I will, hopefully offer insight that might improve the game, though I’m sure I’m not all-knowing.

While I’m sure the OP has good intentions, telling people on the internet to be patient was doomed from the start.

(edited by IndigoSundown.5419)

Posted by: SadieDeAtreia.8912

SadieDeAtreia.8912

Take Maw for instance. They made the timer longer,

The change to maw timer is ridiculous considering the restrictions on chests they also added. Whats the point?

Like I said, many people do 4 events on multiple characters for rares and log off. The other day I wandered around and ended up in some pirate event I had no idea what was going on but I helped and got to see a small story. Now I’d never find these little works of story if I just did the dragon chests and hoped to get rich. There is so much more out there, and yes it may not get you a guaranteed rare. But it can reward you in other ways, and I believe understanding that a non chest event can be rewarding is part of the problem. Everything shouldn’t be about money, developers and designers spent years making this game. Why short change it by doing 1% of the content and complaining of boredom on forums? I realize people are impatient at times, we all are, be at some point we need to realize it isn’t all about us. And it is definitely not all about doing 5 events 300 times a day for some gold.

At launch the game was pretty much the way you describe it.

Nobody I knew in-game cared a lot for gold or farming or getting rich. We had a lot of content to play through and it was a lot of fun. But we got to 80, did all the jumping puzzles, all the dungeons, played some sPvP, WvW and now what? The people who stayed were the people who decided to pursue longer term goals like legendaries. And this is where the fatal flaw came into being. You need to farm your kitten off or get extremely lucky in order to complete that goal. Yeah, not everyone should have a legendary, yeah it should be difficult and time consuming but the RNG on precursors, the market manipulation that followed and the resulting prices of these weapons brought us all to where we are today. People run these events with the hopes of winning the lotto. People run CoF or farm CS because it makes it easier to achieve that 600+ gold goal. The devs had plenty of opportunities to rectify this situation but they decided to rather ignore it. Cause and effect.

Posted by: McDili.1549

McDili.1549

Playing the game for 46 days (or roughly 1100/24) is not the same as being here the entire time. You talk about ‘wait and see’ when we have.

Sorry to say, the game keeps getting worse. You just need to get out of the honeymoon phase and realize it.

While I can commend the devs for listening to the players (or at least some demographics), the glaring point I saw was that Ascended was introduced in direct counter to their own philosophy that there would be no gear grind. You can say that it does not make a significant difference, but the fact remains that there is a difference, just as there is a difference between rares and exotics, and once stats are involved, people are obligated to grind for it.

Incorporating popular stat allocations only brings one question to my mind – why weren’t these stat allocations available on introduction? It’s like saying, hey! After listening to car owners, we’ve decided to add a passenger seat to our car design, since, well, apparently it’s pretty popular.

Putting the new skins into Black Lion Chests is not a popular decision. Balancing around PvP while disregarding the effects on PvE is not listening to the community (or listening to specific demographics).

While I applaud the notion that constructive criticism should be given, sometimes I feel like we are obligated to applaud when they do something that should have been done ages ago. Remove culling so we can actually SEE what we are fighting?! Someone give that man an award! I guess we should put them up for a Nobel Prize if it ever gets ported to PvE (looooove fighting invisible centaur hordes btw)!

I’m not saying that they’re doing BAD work. I’m just saying that reserve your credit for when credit is due. On the flip side – just saying “NERFED?! LAME PATCH. OFF TO ESO! KTHNXBYE” doesn’t help either. But asking for reasoned, logical arguments backed with proof in a forum is always going to be an uphill task..

Right I am not trying to discourage constructive criticism because there are valid points out there, some of which you mentioned.

I did mention earlier that ascended gear did not perfectly match their philosophy, but it did fix an issue of longevity for a lot of players left wanting more.

The culling fix, well while I would have liked for it to be done at launch, I don’t think this was an issue they knew how to fix right away. There are many other games out there that operate similarly and use culling. Planetside 2 for instance, an MMO FPS. While it’s of a different genre it still holds the possibility for thousands of players to be in your vicinity at once and if you thought culling was bad in GW2 well, let’s just say it still hasn’t been resolved in that game.

Now, that’s a different company so there’s a lot of different variables. Thing is, GW2 fixed an issue that is apparent in other games that offer similar experiences(Tons of players on screen). While the solution may seem simple on the surface, I think it’s better to understand that it may have been a lot more complex than we understand from our perspective.

I also remember seeing threads about options in the gem store lacking, I believe they put the skins in because players wanted more and it’s a win for them too as they get good business out of it. Personally, I don’t care either way on that topic.

The point I’m making here is that GW2 is a great game, and it has some flaws. That said, ANet has shown more than once that they are trying. While the game still has a long way to go, it is going and that’s good enough for me.

Posted by: Treeline.3865

Treeline.3865

This game is still under 1 years old
Much of the development is ongoing and does not rest
You have a great team who actually speaks to the community on a regular basis
You DO have a great community in game

These are all valid points, but not unheard of. But it is also like this;

When people complained months ago – “This game is still just 3 months old! Relax.”
Ok, that’s fair. I can relax as soon as I know my concern is seen. But even when I report a crystal clear bug or create a topic which goes on for a few pages the “team” never jumps in to acknowledge that this is an issue or that this is something they will consider. It is exactly as you say – They speak TO the community, but never with us. And I believe that is a major reason while you see people being so “loud”. They really just want to be heard. And this is also why the great community is in game. At the forum we are all just trying to be heard.

Leader of Heroes [Hero] – Seafarers Rest

Posted by: Geotherma.2395

Geotherma.2395

This game is still under 1 years old
Much of the development is ongoing and does not rest
You have a great team who actually speaks to the community on a regular basis
You DO have a great community in game

These are all valid points, but not unheard of. But it is also like this;

When people complained months ago – “This game is still just 3 months old! Relax.”
Ok, that’s fair. I can relax as soon as I know my concern is seen. But even when I report a crystal clear bug or create a topic which goes on for a few pages the “team” never jumps in to acknowledge that this is an issue or that this is something they will consider. It is exactly as you say – They speak TO the community, but never with us. And I believe that is a major reason while you see people being so “loud”. They really just want to be heard. And this is also why the great community is in game. At the forum we are all just trying to be heard.

So do you think we should have more GM/CM’s in game to do this? I know in some MMO’s CM’s often make events in game and talk to people in game (when they can). The problem is when someone sees a CM is in game you have 100,000 people spam whispering them. The point of the forums was for all players to communicate with the dev team, but sadly i can say that in a 300+ guild I only know about 5 people who ever check the forums. Mostly because it is filled with qq and harassment.

Maybe the CM’s or devs can make a date to come to servers or host live streams discussing ONE topic. That way they don’t get spammed with tons of random requests. They could do the streaming with chat and have players talk there or do both, talk in game and answer on the stream. Though again that is a lot of work as we would be taking time away from projects everyone is working on. But maybe with more CM’s relaying information from in game, devs/designers getting info from them and forums, we can have a more clear picture of what the community actually wants.

Now these are all suggestions, so i don’t want us to get locked because it isn’t a discussion anymore lol. But how long do you think before we can officially say Guild Wars 2 is no longer new? And what do you think about CM’s in game talking to people?

Intel i7 3.9ghz processor 16GB Ram 2TB HDD
Nvidia GTX 650 Win 7 64bit FFXI 4+yrs/Aion 4+ years Complete Noob~ Veteran OIF/OEF
http://everyonesgrudge.enjin.com/home MY GW2 Music http://tinyurl.com/cm4o6tu

Posted by: Jemmi.6058

Jemmi.6058

I’ve only been around a little over 2 months now, about 1100 hours logged so far.

That is an average of 15-18 hours a day (assuming 60-70 days). Do you not have work/school or anything else you do in the day besides sleep?

Geotherma.2395

I’ve only been around a little over 2 months now, about 1100 hours logged so far.

That is an average of 15-18 hours a day (assuming 60-70 days). Do you not have work/school or anything else you do in the day besides sleep?

I get that alot :P I do online classes for college. I’m a veteran working on a degree so i can start a career and yes I do have a family :P I take time away from game to work on assignments, go out etc. So am I playing 15 hours a day? No, more like I’m logged in waiting for an event to shout (an npc to say the event started) doing my homework etc between when it is up or my guild needs me. Kinda wish we had a ping or somethen when people need you, but I guess the whisper one is ok. Thats not to say I never actually do play 12+ hours as I have actually done this several times :P And you can eat while playing, well not so much chicken wings.. tried that, not cool. And no I’m not some 500 pound guy in a basement :P GW2 is something I do to relax, so I do it pretty often and spend a lot on the game for fun ^^ Oh and just checked, technically it says (3) months now heh so I can hide my shame a little bit and say my average “now” is around 11 :P Though sometimes I am logged in when my guild members log in, I’m there when they log out and sleep, and still there when they wake up lol.

Also just seen this: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/designing-the-living-world/?utm_source=client

Some info people in this thread may like to read.

Nvidia GTX 650 Win 7 64bit FFXI 4+yrs/Aion 4+ years Complete Noob~ Veteran OIF/OEF

Posted by: wouw.5837

wouw.5837

Plz, stop saying the grind in GW2 get’s worse and Worse…

You finish your story -no grind needed
You get your gear -No grind needed(you play through your storyline, you have enough gold/tokens/mats to get your gear) (I see Ascended as a downgrade, as you can’t use runes/sigils)

OFC there is grind, just like GW

Ask yourself why do I grind? Is it for the legendary(like) weapon? well THat is made for people who like some grinding( isn’t really alot, go play some KMMO)

Elona is Love, Elona is life.

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

The problem with the OP is that it is simply an AoE ad hominem. It doesn’t meaningful engage with the issues of the community, it simply dismisses them and offers a wait and see approach instead. I, personally, don’t have much faith in ‘time’. I believe it’s much more helpful to ask whether our steps are taking us in the direction we want to go.

Posted by: Jemmi.6058

Jemmi.6058

I get that alot :P I do online classes for college. I’m a veteran working on a degree so i can start a career and yes I do have a family :P I take time away from game to work on assignments, go out etc. So am I playing 15 hours a day? No, more like I’m logged in waiting for an event to shout (an npc to say the event started) doing my homework etc between when it is up or my guild needs me. Kinda wish we had a ping or somethen when people need you, but I guess the whisper one is ok. Thats not to say I never actually do play 12+ hours as I have actually done this several times :P And you can eat while playing, well not so much chicken wings.. tried that, not cool. And no I’m not some 500 pound guy in a basement :P GW2 is something I do to relax, so I do it pretty often and spend a lot on the game for fun ^^ Oh and just checked, technically it says (3) months now heh so I can hide my shame a little bit and say my average “now” is around 11 :P Though sometimes I am logged in when my guild members log in, I’m there when they log out and sleep, and still there when they wake up lol.

Also just seen this: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/designing-the-living-world/?utm_source=client

Some info people in this thread may like to read.

Good to know. I was seriously concerned for a minute! I, too, have had 12 hour days for sure. My average is much lower though (I started at the 3 day headstart and think I am at 450 hours?) So around 2 hours a day average. I did have a couple months where I did not log in much, if at all, though.

To your main point. If I understand correctly, I agree with you. This community seems to judge every change before experiencing the change. They also seem to lash out, no matter what (there is always someone on both sides of the fence). There are some yet very few threads that actually post constructive criticism. When I do see these threads, they get buried and usually are left with few to no responses. The threads where people are venting/ranting/rage quitting are the threads that get responses. Consequently, I think it feels that a lot more people are kitten than there actually are.

Posted by: rizzo.1079

rizzo.1079

I said this in a different thread: All game forums are full of whining and complaining, but this one is worlds better than Blizzards forums.

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

I said this in a different thread: All game forums are full of whining and complaining, but this one is worlds better than Blizzards forums.

Ya from what i understand if you read blizzard forums you would think they where responsible for all things that have been plugin humanity from the start of time. This dose not give ppl who do whine and complain a free pass on these forums though.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Posted by: rizzo.1079

rizzo.1079

Ya from what i understand if you read blizzard forums you would think they where responsible for all things that have been plugin humanity from the start of time. This dose not give ppl who do whine and complain a free pass on these forums though.

Oh no of course not, but realize that people who are happy with the game are generally only going to post one or two things and then go back to playing. It’s mostly people who like to complain and/or people who are bored at work that post on most forums…

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

Disclaimer:This thread is not directed towards all players in Guild Wars 2, nor is it in any way a flame thread against others. The opinions herein are my own and reflect my personal beliefs and views.

Have you tried finishing the living story?
Have you tried the new content changes?
Have you found the perfect Guild or Guilds for you?
Have you made friends to occupy your time in between what you do everyday?

Just some questions to ask yourself while your farming the same 4-5+ events over and over.

Answering your questions in order.

Yes, whats been released is done.
Nope, been locked out of it thanks to ludicrous standards.
Been running with the same guild for ages now, thanks for the concern sorry it’s not upto your standards of being a 500man faceless organization.
Made friends just fine, thanks for assuming we are all anti-social because we voice complaints based on the gating of content when the manifesto said the content would be available to even smaller guilds.

The whole lot of your post assumes people just sit at events, not everyone is like that. Meanwhile no one should be forced to play the way we currently are being. You want to progress, Farm Fractals or CoF p1. That’s it. End of story. That’s pathetic and goes against Anets whole design choice. They want us to do these events but then put in restrictions. DR + Chest Limitations = Complete horsecrap. They seriously need to remove these foolish limitations or significantly revamp the Open World.

Posted by: Hickeroar.9734

Hickeroar.9734

I’ve been playing since the day after launch, and I love it more now than I did at day 1.

I figure if you love it, play it. If you don’t…don’t.

Posted by: Ensign.2189

Ensign.2189

How do you know they don’t play the game?

I assume they play the game. I just also assume they aren’t very good at it. In particular, the math behind the game seems to completely elude the people making balance decisions.

I have an Engineer as well, and I love playing it but have hard time finding groups because of how lacking it is.

That’s the funny thing. In PvE, the Engineer isn’t all that lacking. Grenade Engineer, when specced appropriately, is one of the highest DPS classes in the game, and a ranged AoE class at that. 5000 DPS on a single target is perfectly achievable.

Every other spec, well, leaves a lot to be desired. Flamethrower is lucky if it can achieve half that. Non-kit weapons are basically PvP tanks that tickle people to death. As obvious as ‘sit there spamming grenades all game’ should be, it isn’t, and most Engineers do nothing of any value.

It isn’t being judged for its peak, it’s being judged for what you usually get, and unlike Warriors who have figured out that auto-attacking with an axe is good, Engineer is just too difficult for most players.

as I said before, that they are paying attention to it. That is irrefutable.

Sure, they are paying attention to it, but if they’re flailing around in the dark what good does that really do you? The net effect of this patch is that the Engineer can’t burst finish people anymore, so you’re locked into HGH bunker builds in PvP now. Is that progress?

Geotherma.2395

Disclaimer:This thread is not directed towards all players in Guild Wars 2, nor is it in any way a flame thread against others. The opinions herein are my own and reflect my personal beliefs and views.

Have you tried finishing the living story?
Have you tried the new content changes?
Have you found the perfect Guild or Guilds for you?
Have you made friends to occupy your time in between what you do everyday?

Just some questions to ask yourself while your farming the same 4-5+ events over and over.

Answering your questions in order.

Yes, whats been released is done.
Nope, been locked out of it thanks to ludicrous standards. (Please explain what you have been locked out of)
Been running with the same guild for ages now, thanks for the concern sorry it’s not upto your standards of being a 500man faceless organization.(At no time did I say you needed a 500 person guild)
Made friends just fine, thanks for assuming we are all anti-social because we voice complaints based on the gating of content when the manifesto said the content would be available to even smaller guilds.(There were no assumptions made, simply these questions are for yourself. They are not to appease my style of gaming, nor do I think anyone should tell others how to play)

The whole lot of your post assumes people just sit at events, not everyone is like that. Meanwhile no one should be forced to play the way we currently are being. You want to progress, Farm Fractals or CoF p1. That’s it. End of story. That’s pathetic and goes against Anets whole design choice. They want us to do these events but then put in restrictions. DR + Chest Limitations = Complete horsecrap. They seriously need to remove these foolish limitations or significantly revamp the Open World.

I feel like you skimmed the thread and responded. While you are allowed your opinion it is clear that you are the one making some pretty vague assumptions. I replied selectively to your points, as you can see in my thread in no way was I assuming anything about anyone. The questions I posted were something of a personal nature that players can ask themselves to see where they are in the game and evaluate how they play. The answer is purely personal and is for no one else to judge. they just added some small part to guilds to build influence and help them achieve enough to further there missions. This is a step not their entire answer to the problem at hand. They realize it is not ideal for all and they are working on trying to make it so it is. Please before responding read carefully and don’t make assumptions based on your anger at the game or forums.

Posted by: Goatjugsoup.8637

Goatjugsoup.8637

A couple days ago I would have been all defensive saying you all are over reacting but I am ultra mega-ly peeved at the latest ranger nerf to qz (billed as a buff but actually a double nerf) so I will grab my pitchfork and stand with you all

Most wanted in game additions: Beastiary, readable books

Geotherma.2395

I also want to mention that I have a personal guild which i use for bank space and dropping banners for players. I also use it for events for my server. I every so often toss in some gold to gain influence and I am the only person in it. I think with the new bounty’s it is very much possible for an active group of 5 people to experience the missions and gain influence. Even if it is just training, you are getting experience in how to run these missions. Yes it will take you longer than large guilds to access the deeper missions, but it is very much possible. A pic of my personal guild which I funded with extra gold over a month or so is below. As you can see in a little over a months time a single person is able to at very least open training missions. I spent no real cash on gold, this was solely from farming/playing the game. I simply tossed in small amounts over time. The rest of my gold I waste on other things :P

Attachments:

Geotherma.2395

A couple days ago I would have been all defensive saying you all are over reacting but I am ultra mega-ly peeved at the latest ranger nerf to qz (billed as a buff but actually a double nerf) so I will grab my pitchfork and stand with you all

I understand your frustration. My thief just started using haste and before I really got to get comfortable with it in PvE it was dropped to 50% ^^; Yes I was a little annoyed with the change but I completely understand that it can be used improperly in WvW etc on certain classes. Balance is always a difficult thing to work on, it will most likely never be perfect. But this is a step they believe will help. That doesn’t mean however that it can never change. Perhaps in the future classes will change to allow for this mechanic to be changed back or improved in some way.

Posted by: ophidic.1279

ophidic.1279

Or…. maybe you’re a baby.

Elyl Jrend

Posted by: ophidic.1279

ophidic.1279

Are any of you old-school tooms gang actually playing GW2?

I am a gw1 player, and the only thing I REALLY hate about gw2 is all these jumping puzzles.

Elyl Jrend

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

Are any of you old-school tooms gang actually playing GW2?

i played GW 1 and i still play, are there things i hate? yes defiantly mostly rng on precursors and jumping puzzles….but other than its a fun a game and i will continue to play it

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

Posted by: Vanthian.9267

Vanthian.9267

i wouldn’t call this a shortsighted community. i would call it a “i hate anet” circlejerk.

I do believe there is more lotion on all of the “love the game” threads hands than all the ones with legitimate complaints.

Only people with blinders on their eyes and their head up the company’s bum (mostly people who did not come from Guild Wars 1 mind you) think they are going in the right direction. They have been diverging from their “manifesto” since launch.

How many quotes are out there saying “we reward for skill not luck/time”?
How many quotes say that end game is all about aesthetics and not gear?

Now, take a look at class balance…. It is horrible. Warriors are virtually useless in every facet of the game except for damage. They have a little bit more damage than other classes, thus the community praises and cry as they walk by. Take that Warrior into sPvP… you will get destroyed.

Now, look at all the end game gear. Ascended items. Best items in the game. Most people are going to want those extra stats because they are inherently better. Don’t you dare come back with a anise counter argument of “you don’t need ascended gear to play the game” crap. Ascended gear takes MONTHS of grinding to get for majority of players; longer for most casuals. To even think about trying out a different build is not as simple as going “oh I need to retrain my traits”. No, it is… “Well crap, now i have to regrind FotM for a at least 20 days to be sure to get my right rings and hopefully I will get the drops I need to get my back piece to infuse that while I am at it. Then I just need to do my dailies for a month and some to get my amulet and then grind out Guild Missions till I puke to get both of my earrings, then I can start grind that dungeon to finish out with my armor and weapons… oh and then I can respec and buy runes.”

^ That is a bunch of crap that should not be in Guild Wars 2. Builds should be like Guild Wars 1, take all of 1 hour to replace skills, redo traits (attributes there), then get the armor.

This game is going down a horrible path of RGN and multiple currencies to higher gear for winning. It is not the game advertised and sold.

Posted by: Gathslan.1870

Gathslan.1870

I agree with you OP. It seems to me like everyone just looks at themselfs and think everything just from the one point of view that is ‘’this is bad for me so it sucks’’ instead of the bigger picture. And i also find it disturbing how many seem to be blind to how huge this game is just because they keep repeating the same content over and over..

Posted by: purpleskies.3274

purpleskies.3274

I used to be very patient, and I used to believe whole heatedly that Anet would improve this game. I have played a lot of MMO’s starting with UO when it was released and Anet seemed to really care about this game. I even posted comments similar to yours, saying the game would get better and I thought the devs were doing a great job.

But after being here for a while now, I keep seeing the patches and changes and my faith in the devs has been going down. This is the first game where I ever looked at the devs decisions and I just could not understand what they were thinking or why they would implement things the way they did. I am not talking about speed of changes, things take a while to do, and I prefer slower changes done well but most changes don’t seem very well thought out. I am not talking about balance issues, like the ICD on food, or quickness changes, those I get and agree with.

The issue is the larger design directions they are taking with new content. This started with ascended. I hate ascended and I think it is against the philosophy of the game, but more importantly I am amazed at the poor implementation of it. Anet had a great design where you could acquire gear in a variety of ways, but ascended they forced you to do a very select few, and they offer very little in the way of variety of gear. Even the variety of ways of obtaining has been poorly done in my opinion, they have one way that is efficient and one alternative way that takes a very long time. This doesn’t make me feel like I can play the content I enjoy, it makes it feel like I do it their way or I have to do a grind and be penalized because my play style is different.

It is the poor implementation that I don’t like most and what makes me lose faith. It has been months and there are some improvements, but the improvements themselves seem very poorly thought out and implemented. To an extent I get some of their reasoning, they want to force people to do their new content, but people like new content, just look at halloween or wintersday.

The guild missions are another great example, they could have easily made the tiers of missions go from very easy to much harder and scaled the level of rewards. That way big guilds would still get the best rewards and fastest but small guilds could still participate and get rewards even if it was slower. This is how they built the initial game, catering to multiple play styles, but now they just focus on one they see as the proper way and stick with it. Their solution to the problem did not address the issue, small guilds can’t even get the same type of rewards.

I loved the initial design of the game, and it clearly has a lot of potential. But it is hard to stay positive or trust the developers reasoning when you keep seeing very poorly thought out decisions and they keep taking the game in a direction you don’t agree with.

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

People just want 3 months of content in a one month patch

Posted by: WanderingOsprey.2497

WanderingOsprey.2497

I do believe there is more lotion on all of the “love the game” threads hands than all the ones with legitimate complaints.

Only people with blinders on their eyes and their head up the company’s bum (mostly people who did not come from Guild Wars 1 mind you) think they are going in the right direction. They have been diverging from their “manifesto” since launch.

How many quotes are out there saying “we reward for skill not luck/time”?
How many quotes say that end game is all about aesthetics and not gear?
……..

Meh, I enjoy Guild Wars 2 much more than I did Guild Wars 1 (which I played since Summer of 2005).

I don’t have ascended gear (except for ones obtained gradually through laurel acquisition), and haven’t ever felt at a particular disadvantage in WvWvW or PvE (or sPvP for that matter). I play both a Guardian and Ranger (enjoy the latter more by far despite it being ‘weaker’ or ‘less viable’). In terms of play style/time spent, I’d probably fall somewhere in between casual and hardcore: I also use a LB/GS setup on the ranger, which I know is not as effective as SB trap. But I enjoy using LB/GS (in sPvP too!), and somehow avoid spontaneously combusting upon entering combat.

I think it might be helpful to move beyond one game meaning one way to play: by both supporters and detractors of the current direction (as GW2 was advertised as accomodating). I do not need ascended gear to play the game that I play, nor do many others. On the other hand, others may need ascended gear to play their game. I think it is really interesting though that we (including myself at times!) are guilty of identifying one right way to play.

I do not have blinders over my eyes, nor am I ‘up any company’s bum’, but I do think Guild Wars 2 is moving in the right direction. Inclusiveness seems to be their main pillar in design, and while it may be hit and miss in some regards (I agree that the new skins should have been detached from RNG) , is definitely better than exclusiveness.

While Guild Wars 2 certainly has its faults, and there are some things that I would like to see added or improved, in general, I can still honestly say that I enjoy the game (even moments of utter frustration caused by over-anxious dodge rolling off jumping puzzles).

Hopefully with continuing constructive criticism (which is vital) Guild Wars 2 can continue improving.

Sincere thanks.

Eadweard [Dawn]~Sylvari Ranger
(SBI)

Posted by: Goatjugsoup.8637

Goatjugsoup.8637

I understand your frustration. My thief just started using haste and before I really got to get comfortable with it in PvE it was dropped to 50% ^^; Yes I was a little annoyed with the change but I completely understand that it can be used improperly in WvW etc on certain classes. Balance is always a difficult thing to work on, it will most likely never be perfect. But this is a step they believe will help. That doesn’t mean however that it can never change. Perhaps in the future classes will change to allow for this mechanic to be changed back or improved in some way.

Even if it is making the game better in other areas it is still giving the ranger class the short end of the stick and that has been going on quite enough already. Being that I main ranger it means squat to me that it seems quickness was actually nerfed to stop other professions from being OP especially since the rebalancing of the ranger skill that gives quickness looks like it was more of an afterthought than a legitimate attempt to keep it useful after the nerf.

As I’m sure has been mentioned many times in other posts by now heres what’s wrong with the qz skill now:
- Even using shortbow and accounting for the extra second there is not enough speed for it to do any kind of burst damage (it does an extra 2-3 hits than what you would have done otherwise)
- You are now unable to heal for 5 seconds, this includes regeneration which is important to keeping your pet alive in most situations
- They added a stun break which all but repurposes the skill and not for the better. When do you need to stun break? When you are getting battered. What are you likely to need to do right after that? Heal.

Not only has the skill been changed so that it sucks at its originally purpose, it isn’t even effective at the new one.

Most wanted in game additions: Beastiary, readable books

Posted by: Zolpidem.2851

Zolpidem.2851

I’ve waited over 7 months and the only thing that has really improved are bugs, which were just replaced with new ones. The game constantly introduces grind after grind with each passing month and only seems to be getting worse. How am I suppose to act like the game is headed in the right direction? I’m sorry, but things are only getting worse.
P.S.
WTB the old ArenaNet.

WTS Old ArenaNet. Found somewhere on shelf collecting dust…. PSST! with offer

Posted by: thisolderhead.5127

thisolderhead.5127

I could go through and address single points along here, but would be all day and end up splitting straws…

The player base I don’t think is exclusively short sighted, even veterans of UO, Diablo, and everything since bring with them their perspective – and most gamers are impatient to a fault. The hearts of around half of them are in the right place – trying to push or pull to get something they desperately feel the game would benefit from.

The other half are usually selling their own agenda or truly just dopey, neither makes sense and strangely both will fight tooth and nail to prove their idea is acceptable – do you think that every single person who raged for the guesting to be implemented missed their cross-server buddies? Nope – most of them just wanted to even hop and convinced the GW2 world that it was entirely unjust that the feature they wanted to exploit was not ready yet.

For the most part I just assume that if something looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, its probably just someone who is trying to forward their own agenda – the earnest guys will be more reaonable in their response.

Feeling bad due to my response does not mean it was a personal attack.
It may just be that your original statement was wrong.
Please try again.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I’ve been playing since the first beta, and before that I played Guild Wars 1. I’ve also played many MMOs.

For those who say this game is becoming WoW 2.0, they should have played WoW for a while before making that comment. It’s patently absurd.

For those of you saying the game is in worse shape than at launch, that’s strictly a matter of opinion. There ARE things that aren’t as good as at launch, but there are many, many things that are tons better.

Guesting is better than not guesting, particularly if you were on a server that didn’t have many people in the open world. Preview in the marketplace is better than not having a preview, because it allows you to see what you’re going to buy. The fractals as a dungeon, for a lot of people, is much much better than any dungeon in the game prior to the fractals. I’m one of those people.

Several changes made to dungeons have been for the better. Like when you used to fall into the lava and die and have to port back and now the game puts you back on a ledge to be rezzed by people. Even the change where you can’t rez in combat is a good one from my point of view. Rez rushing was ridiculous. No one had to learn dungeons, because you could always run back to the fight.

There have been so many fixes and upgrades that it’s hard to even keep track of them. I recently got the staff final rest for my necro and I was disappointed in the autoattack skill, which created a scythe animation that ruined the look of the staff. They fixed that in this upgrade.

People complained about dyes not being account bound…but in Guild Wars 1, you didn’t unlock dyes. You had to buy a specific dye for each piece of armor you wanted dyed and if you changed armor, even on the same character, you had to buy the dye again.

We’ve gotten new PvP maps. We’ve gotten a fix for culling. It took a long time, but then, they didn’t anticipate the problems culling would cause pre-launch. Lots of MMO problems don’t show up until the game is live. It’s the nature of the beast.

And people for get the Halloween instance that was fun as hell. The Halloween and Christmas jumping puzzles, which a lot of people liked. Even the music game over Christmas was something a lot of people liked.

There are also bugs and failures on Anet’s part. The Karka event was a disaster. But Anet made sure those who missed the chest got it. And they learned from it and haven’t repeated it. Those who played Rift early on will remember a similar situation with Rift’s first big one time only event. Half the people were too lagged to play the other half were waiting in queues and couldn’t get in.

People don’t remember the good stuff and focus on the bad stuff…and it’s okay. It’s part of human nature.

I just like to hang around and remind people that there has been good stuff, and there will be more good stuff. It’s just going to take time.

This game doesn’t have a monthly fee. Go play another game for a while. Get outside and get some exercise and fresh air. It’s not like you have to buy the game again to see what’s new in a couple of months.

Because I don’t know many games that you can play a lot for six months and not run out of things to do. Certainly not at launch.

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

I’ve been here since beta, i’ve seen the game degrade in my opinion too and many many others, its just a money milking machine that cares very little for their players, which sadly the original guildwars was amazing.

The only reason i’m still here is my friends i’ve met, if they left, i’m pretty sure i’d be gone too. Especially after this last patch..

Posted by: thisolderhead.5127

thisolderhead.5127

I’ve been here since beta, i’ve seen the game degrade in my opinion too and many many others, its just a money milking machine that cares very little for their players, which sadly the original guildwars was amazing.

The only reason i’m still here is my friends i’ve met, if they left, i’m pretty sure i’d be gone too. Especially after this last patch..

Mate- your expectations from the first day I read one of your posts was not positive.

I expect the next four days to be a miserable experience in having to drag myself through conversation with the in-laws – as such I’m not going to enjoy it and will be increasingly unsatisfied with my experience the longer it goes on.

But back at the plot – I am balancing my play time to ensure that I don’t get frustrated out of the game before they finish the beta (we are playing it still), and didn’t have any expectations (gw1 cough) coming in, but I can see where they are steering the product and like it.

Feeling bad due to my response does not mean it was a personal attack.
It may just be that your original statement was wrong.
Please try again.

Posted by: Agent Ice.6578

Agent Ice.6578

Vayne, I want to point out something that you posted… “This game doesn’t have a monthly fee. Go play another game for a while. Get outside and get some exercise and fresh air. It’s not like you have to buy the game again to see what’s new in a couple of months.”

Did you read the TOS that came bundled with this recent content addition? If you accepted it, you said that you agree to it and that you awknowledge that they have the ability to bill you as they see fit. Specifically mentioned as an example are, “numbers of hours, days, or months.” You do not want to pay? They can terminate your account. I would not worry about this though. There were things that worried me even more included in the TOS such as handling of refunds and credit ratings. I feel it is very foreboding to the future…

Vayne.8563

Vayne, I want to point out something that you posted… “This game doesn’t have a monthly fee. Go play another game for a while. Get outside and get some exercise and fresh air. It’s not like you have to buy the game again to see what’s new in a couple of months.”

Did you read the TOS that came bundled with this recent content addition? If you accepted it, you said that you agree to it and that you awknowledge that they have the ability to bill you as they see fit. Specifically mentioned as an example are, “numbers of hours, days, or months.” You do not want to pay? They can terminate your account. I would not worry about this though. There were things that worried me even more included in the TOS such as handling of refunds and credit ratings. I feel it is very foreboding to the future…

TOS for games always have legal stuff added to the game. Anet isn’t going to start charging a monthly fee for this game. It will always be buy to play just as the original Guild Wars was. Changing it now would kill the game completely. No one at Anet is that stupid. They have too many examples of games that have had monthly fees, that have had to go free to play. SWToR and TSW are the newest.

It may be possible they’re going to add some kind of optional system that gives you gems every month that you can “subscribe to”, but you’ll still be able to play the game for free.

Because if they tried to make this a pay to play game, there would no longer be a game, and I’m sure they know that.

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

I don’t know if I’d say the game’s degraded, but I’d definitely say that Anet seems to be moving out of the park of what the game originally was. There are only a few pieces of content that they’ve put out since release that I can definitely say have improved the game, those being FotM and the holiday events, and even then FotM needed some iteration to get right.

On the other hand, the new patches seem very interested in forcing you to do what they’re bringing, with Ascended gear, despite the fact that a lot of people enjoyed the base game’s content for what it was. What content are you ‘forced’ into to gear up a character? You’re at the very least forced to do your dailies and monthlies (kitten timegating), you have to do guild missions, the minimum size of which is pretty dang restrictive, and you have to do FotM; personally, I’m okay with FotM, but plenty of people are getting cranky over having to do it instead of playing in wuvwuv.

To me, it looks like ANet’s thinking “what patch feature can we slap ascended gear onto this time?” with every second patch, occasionally mixing it up with “let’s put in a timegate lol”. Admittedly, I’ve got a very limited data set, but you need to look at what they do, not what they say. What they’re doing?… Well, they added new weapon prefixes to the wuvwuv vendors, so I guess that’s a nice start, but no armors or Ascended gear. They changed the icons for light gear?… /shrug

Also maybe they should vet some of their bigger changes like the Quickness change before implementing them. A 50% nerf to the most popular elite in the game out of nowhere isn’t very nice.

Nalhadia – Kaineng

Vayne.8563

I don’t know if I’d say the game’s degraded, but I’d definitely say that Anet seems to be moving out of the park of what the game originally was. There are only a few pieces of content that they’ve put out since release that I can definitely say have improved the game, those being FotM and the holiday events, and even then FotM needed some iteration to get right.

On the other hand, the new patches seem very interested in forcing you to do what they’re bringing, with Ascended gear, despite the fact that a lot of people enjoyed the base game’s content for what it was. What content are you ‘forced’ into to gear up a character? You’re at the very least forced to do your dailies and monthlies (kitten timegating), you have to do guild missions, the minimum size of which is pretty dang restrictive, and you have to do FotM; personally, I’m okay with FotM, but plenty of people are getting cranky over having to do it instead of playing in wuvwuv.

To me, it looks like ANet’s thinking “what patch feature can we slap ascended gear onto this time?” with every second patch, occasionally mixing it up with “let’s put in a timegate lol”. Admittedly, I’ve got a very limited data set, but you need to look at what they do, not what they say. What they’re doing?… Well, they added new weapon prefixes to the wuvwuv vendors, so I guess that’s a nice start, but no armors or Ascended gear. They changed the icons for light gear?… /shrug

Also maybe they should vet some of their bigger changes like the Quickness change before implementing them. A 50% nerf to the most popular elite in the game out of nowhere isn’t very nice.

So if you liked the original content, why do you feel you need ascended gear now. Most of my characters don’t have ascended gear and I do all the content in the game on them. The only thing you’d need ascended gear for, certainly at this point, is the higher levels of the fractals, and the fractals give you the gear you need to do them if you do them.

If you like the base game and you’re playing the base game, why do you insist you need to get ascended gear? Do you know how many people get laurels and just buy dye packs with them?

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

I always feel that every class is a lil kid jumping up and down and mother anet saying ‘my turn! My turn!’. And when they aren’t picked, rhey shout and scream ‘you don’t love me!’.
I stand b y my previous post. People are so use to 3 month patches with WoW, that they arent use to so few changes in a month patch.

I will say the release time of the game wasn’t good, nor was the lost shores event. Really, the game shouldve come out in dec or jan, so to miss most of the holiday events and not spend time on them. Lost shores was just bad, and november shouldve been a fixer up and balance patch.

I agree, and wish anet would reply more to it, but hunters do need some fixing. I agree with a post that the hunter spirits shouldve gotten the same buff as warrior banners. At the same time, i dont want them unattackable, cause then they might as well be warrio
banners. But yes anet, next patch, focus on rangers please.

I do disagree with all these new skins in blc. We need new skins in the world to work towards. And for wvw, add a new vendor that sells ascended gear, and set the requirements to be badges and a certain rank. Maybe save that for when laurals are tied to achievements.

I dont agree with everything theyve done, the chest skins, ascended gear, precursors being rng, but i do hope that the whole loot dro kitten ue opened their eyes and ears to reasonable posters here, and work more with us and ask for feed back

Heck, maybe one step with classes is to hold a q n a on their forums or so

Posted by: Agent Ice.6578

Agent Ice.6578

Vayne.8563, I am sure Anet will do what it wants, just as it has. Just like recent patches, some love them, others lament them. Some will see this game as being worth a monthly fee or w/e. People would still pay to play this. After all, people played WoW for years, didn’t they? Many of those people still do. My point is that is in the TOS. They may, or may not implement, but if they did not intend to, why is it in the agreement? They are keeping all options on the table, which means that someday they may want to. Also, as my other point, if you refuse to play they may just delete your account that you spent hours/days/months/years on. Personally I hope this is not implemented, but only time well tell. I just felt that this deserved to have some attention as many readily click the “I agree” button and move on.

(edited by Agent Ice.6578)

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

its just a money milking machine that cares very little for their players,

How do you reconcile this belief with the fact that many of the changes to the game were made in response to requests by players?

• Ascended gear: requested by people who wanted more to do, a way to progress
  • Ascended available in a variety of ways: in response to outcry against FotM
  • Dailies providing choices: requested by players
  • AC changes: requested by dungeon players who thought the boss fights were boring
  • Changes to meta boss chests I (guaranteed rare): requested by players
  • Changes to meta boss chests II (1 day/account): an attempt, in part, to address the negatives brought up by players
  • Guild Missions I: Players said there was no reason to be in a guild
  • Guild Missions II: Response to small guilds which complained about Guild Missions I

Good kitten, man! If they care little about about what players want, why the frack are they listening to them? I recognize that not every change has pleased everyone, but sweeping, baseless generalities are over the top.

Vayne.8563

I always feel that every class is a lil kid jumping up and down and mother anet saying ‘my turn! My turn!’. And when they aren’t picked, rhey shout and scream ‘you don’t love me!’.
I stand b y my previous post. People are so use to 3 month patches with WoW, that they arent use to so few changes in a month patch.

I will say the release time of the game wasn’t good, nor was the lost shores event. Really, the game shouldve come out in dec or jan, so to miss most of the holiday events and not spend time on them. Lost shores was just bad, and november shouldve been a fixer up and balance patch.

I agree, and wish anet would reply more to it, but hunters do need some fixing. I agree with a post that the hunter spirits shouldve gotten the same buff as warrior banners. At the same time, i dont want them unattackable, cause then they might as well be warrio
banners. But yes anet, next patch, focus on rangers please.

I do disagree with all these new skins in blc. We need new skins in the world to work towards. And for wvw, add a new vendor that sells ascended gear, and set the requirements to be badges and a certain rank. Maybe save that for when laurals are tied to achievements.

I dont agree with everything theyve done, the chest skins, ascended gear, precursors being rng, but i do hope that the whole loot dro kitten ue opened their eyes and ears to reasonable posters here, and work more with us and ask for feed back

Heck, maybe one step with classes is to hold a q n a on their forums or so

You need to be sent to the WoW corner. They’re rangers, not hunters. lol

I agree the game launched about six months early. I still think they did it because they felt they had to beat MoP out..because if MoP was successful (and apparently it’s doing well), it would seriously diminish their own sales, which would affect a lot of other things.

When games are made, particularly MMOs where the initial investment is so high, some of the decisions made are going to be business decisions rather than creative ones. Someone at Anet, perhaps rightly, felt they had to launch before MoP. That meant playing catch up.

We’ll never know if the game would have been better had it launched later. It might have had a significantly smaller player base at launch, but no one will ever know. But you’re right in most of what you say.

I’d say we’re just about out of the beta phase now, and this is when the game should have launched. Now we get to see what will happen.

Geotherma.2395

While I agree that after reading the lengthy User Agreement I can say it does have some scary terms and conditions in it. However it is NCsoft, not Arenanet who enforced these changes and legal rules. Arenanet is who we look to for game improvements and feedback. NCsoft is merely the parent company who handles the legal end and some monetary aspects. When addressing issues with User Agreements and other aspects that hold the NCSOFT title that is who you are referring to. But again, I totally can understand where you are coming from “removal of gems without reason”, some pretty scary things indeed.

Geotherma.2395

Vayne.8563, I am sure Anet will do what it wants, just as it has. Just like recent patches, some love them, others lament them. Some will see this game as being worth a monthly fee or w/e. People would still pay to play this. After all, people played WoW for years, didn’t they? Many of those people still do. My point is that is in the TOS. They may, or may not implement, but if they did not intend to, why is it in the agreement? They are keeping all options on the table, which means that someday they may want to. Also, as my other point, if you refuse to play they may just delete your account that you spent hours/days/months/years on. Personally I hope this is not implemented, but only time well tell. I just felt that this deserved to have some attention as many readily click the “I agree” button and move on.

I was going to edit my post to say pretty much this as well. This is exactly why i believe it was added, to cover bases they have ideas for in the future. I doubt its as simple as “soon we will start stealing peoples gems and closing accounts for fun just because they clicked (Accept)”

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

So if you liked the original content, why do you feel you need ascended gear now. Most of my characters don’t have ascended gear and I do all the content in the game on them. The only thing you’d need ascended gear for, certainly at this point, is the higher levels of the fractals, and the fractals give you the gear you need to do them if you do them.

If you like the base game and you’re playing the base game, why do you insist you need to get ascended gear? Do you know how many people get laurels and just buy dye packs with them?

Three main reasons;
1. The stat hump between people starting to play today and people starting to gather Ascended gear from the day FotM was introduced to the game is only going to get bigger.
2. Getting a character into the best of the best gear carries with it a sense of finality; you’ve -finally- filled out everything, except perhaps a Legendary, which only increases your Swag stat. Getting to the top of that mountain now takes, at the very least, a very diligent 30 days.
3. Punishes alts. Vanilla GW2 was a very alt-friendly game. Now you have to get one Ascended amulet at a time.

Nalhadia – Kaineng

Vayne.8563

I was going to edit my post to say pretty much this as well. This is exactly why i believe it was added, to cover bases they have ideas for in the future. I doubt its as simple as “soon we will start stealing peoples gems and closing accounts for fun just because they clicked (Accept)”

Companies like NCsoft often have a single user agreement across ALL their products. It simplifies things for them. It doesn’t mean that this product will change.

Ask yourself this…if Guild Wars 2 suddenly went pay to play, how many people would still be here? Even I’d leave. Not because I don’t like the game, but because it would be a betrayal of trust I couldn’t live with. The five guys left paying a monthly fee wouldn’t keep the game alive.

Vayne.8563

Three main reasons;
1. The stat hump between people starting to play today and people starting to gather Ascended gear from the day FotM was introduced to the game is only going to get bigger.
2. Getting a character into the best of the best gear carries with it a sense of finality; you’ve -finally- filled out everything, except perhaps a Legendary, which only increases your Swag stat. Getting to the top of that mountain now takes, at the very least, a very diligent 30 days.
3. Punishes alts. Vanilla GW2 was a very alt-friendly game. Now you have to get one Ascended amulet at a time.

I have characters that have no ascended gear and again, they can do everything in the game. Even if I wanted to do high level fractals, I never need an amulet or earrings to do that. It’s just not necessary. You’re making a need that doesn’t exist.

The game is still alt friendly because the content isn’t gated by gear like it is in other games.

Anet made a compromise, giving some people something to grind for without gating the content for everyone else. Do this. Take one character, get no ascended gear on him and run the game. Do everything. Then tell me you need that.

More than anything, you’re talking about a mindset. People thinking they need BIS gear on every character. A lot of this is a holdover from other games where content is gated because of gear.

That’s simply not the case here.

Geotherma.2395

Companies like NCsoft often have a single user agreement across ALL their products. It simplifies things for them. It doesn’t mean that this product will change.

Ask yourself this…if Guild Wars 2 suddenly went pay to play, how many people would still be here? Even I’d leave. Not because I don’t like the game, but because it would be a betrayal of trust I couldn’t live with. The five guys left paying a monthly fee wouldn’t keep the game alive.

I agree it makes sense to have a legal agreement company wide to simplify things. Somewhere inside I feel like Arenanet could be huge on its own, but we won’t go there :P

Vayne.8563

I agree it makes sense to have a legal agreement company wide to simplify things. Somewhere inside I feel like Arenanet could be huge on its own, but we won’t go there :P

Anet could have been huge on it’s own, I agree, but they didn’t have the money to develop Guild Wars 1. That’s why they went to NCsoft in the first place. A lot of people don’t realize that NCsoft bought Anet before Guild Wars 1 launched. They’ve been around all along.

Without those funds, Anet couldn’t have released the first games and we wouldn’t have Guild Wars 2 at all.