Underworld Server Death Pre-Announced?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Max Lexandre.6279

Max Lexandre.6279

Hello there.

As soon the free transfers got announced, Underworld server guilds got in a complete chaos of discussions up to flame wars when it comes to leave the Server.

And it seems UW is confirmed to be going to lose almost all the major guilds, both PVE (the new living story events are only possible while guesting) and WvW as we are really low pop.

So i’m asking, the objective of ANet with this is to spread people towards this low pop and low ranked servers, are you sure is not going to happen the inverse?

We have here one pre-announced transfer of thousands of players, from discussions with many other guilds, there is no guilds interested interested into come to our server…

Friends already got to chat with me recommending to go away while it’s free because the server is going to hell.

So, it’s the Underworld server Death Pre-Announced?

I’m The Best in Everything.
Asura thing.

(edited by Max Lexandre.6279)

Posted by: KarateKid.5648

KarateKid.5648

ummm, what’d I miss? Nothing in News/Announcements, Release Notes, or obvious in DevTracker… gahh!

EDIT: Never mind – found it – For those who don’t read all the fansites – it’s in Guru, not official forums… no idea how frustrating that is.

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/news/1417-get-ready-for-wvw-spring-tournament-201/

(edited by KarateKid.5648)

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

Max, are you saying that all your thousands of players will be transferring to another low tier server? Or are you saying UW is a low tier server, and players are willing to pay to leave?

Edit. For EU servers starting tomorrow, it’s only free if you transfer to one of the following server rankings: 15-18, and 23-27. If people flee UW, what’s not to say that T1 or T2 players will flock to UW?

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

(edited by Smooth Penguin.5294)

Max Lexandre.6279

Max, are you saying that all your thousands of players will be transferring to another low tier server? Or are you saying UW is a low tier server, and players are willing to pay to leave?

Edit. For EU servers starting tomorrow, it’s only free if you transfer to one of the following server rankings: 15-18, and 23-27. If people flee UW, what’s not to say that T1 or T2 players will flock to UW?

People here talking about Gandara, it’s better ranked on WvW and more active on PVE, UW at this moment is very very complicated in terms of population so as there are no guilds interesting into come here, our guilds are taking the chance to “run from the sinking boa-… server”.

Asura thing.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

ummm, what’d I miss? Nothing in News/Announcements, Release Notes, or obvious in DevTracker… gahh!

EDIT: Never mind – found it – For those who don’t read all the fansites – it’s in Guru, not official forums… no idea how frustrating that is.

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/news/1417-get-ready-for-wvw-spring-tournament-201/

Just a FYI, it’s on the front page of: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/

Posted by: Andiela.3759

Andiela.3759

Mayhem still stays strong. Most hated guild will become the most loyal :P

Posted by: Reanne.5462

Reanne.5462

The grass is not greener… There is no magical result that will make this game better by switching to another server. You will find anywhere you go.. 75% of these servers do not have the populations to do the so called high end elite content, like Tequatl, marionette and the like. I hope people don’t spend all there gems playing musical servers, fattening anets pockets while finding out you should have stayed where you were…

Posted by: Cush.4063

Cush.4063

Hate to say it, but your post is probably not going to help your server get any players to transfer over now that you’ve released grave news >.<

Posted by: strifer.8320

strifer.8320

UW died in the start of the last season. All the WvW guilds left the server, as a result you’re losing to Vabbi in the last tier.

Elderly Woman/Charr Warrior
[FURY] Gunnars Hold

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

I am quite sure that Underworlds WvW is technically already dead. And have been for months.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Shakkara.2641

Shakkara.2641

I’m on UW and I’ve been looking for a chance to leave for another server for at least 2 months now, its just that it is too expensive to my tastes. With the free transer, I’ll definitely leave.

I’m already guesting on Desolation 90% of the time, as on Underworld PVE is pretty fail too. I haven’t seen them able to beat the three watchknights and even if they do they often fail at holoscarlet. On Desolation overflows kill them most of the time so yeah…

Posted by: Verow.6904

Verow.6904

Things in UW where bad, but after season 1 things got worse, 2 months of constant kitten . Thank gods Edge of the mist come out and we can have some pvp.

Posted by: The Lost Witch.7601

The Lost Witch.7601

UW, my perspective.

I do hope that anet stops churning out these super large scale events. Many of them are not impossible (we managed Tequatl on UW a few times within the first two weeks of release, the marionette quite often as well, just like the current living story), but they are becoming increasingly difficult to do reliably. We no longer seem to have the active population required to do Tequatl, I have never seen any serious attempt at the wurm and the three knights event died out a few days ago, making it hard to do for players that weren’t there on the first week. (It is often the shout: ’We’ll never make it on uw, let’s all go to the red & blue knights’, that leads to a failure. Sad, really.)

The temple events, karka queen and such, we can usually find enough people to do those. (Thanks to guilds and individuals whispering the guilds to get together.) But the content that requires full map presence is very demoralizing. Yet players keep feeling the need to complete it, so they pour in some more hours to collect players. All this only to feel tired and defeated after failing. (I guess the fact that they’re still on the underworld server says something about their spirit to keep trying)

But in the middle of all this, we’re seeing successes as well. Like a near flawless balthazar temple event the other day. (Hosted by [rum], who will unfortunately be leaving uw) And some awesome collaborations between guilds to get their guild missions done. The rise of a larger guild that uses the guild message to plan events. (Sort of functioning like a gw1 alliance system, so we can more easily join forces.)

We have our moments of fun in WvW, though it is not as intense as it used to be. We’re rarely defending anything, our opponents are rarely defending anything. Which makes sense. Since neither of us have enough people to keep watch over things, nothing is worth upgrading, so nothing is worth protecting… This doesn’t mean that we never clash forces though! Just that the fights are more about the fighting, than about keeping or taking objectives.

I think it is time for server merging. If WvW is designed around full map capacity, and events keep coming out on a massive scale… we simply need more players.

If guild upgrades weren’t lost on server transfer, I think our guild might move. (Though I don’t know if we have the money to transfer players that weren’t online during the free transfer period.) I guess I am positive that anet will come up with a solution in the upcoming year. (Or it would be a better idea to move now and start rebuilding the guild upgrades.)

Guild first, server second.

(edited by The Lost Witch.7601)

Posted by: Spaceowl.5123

Spaceowl.5123

Firstly, I am glad to hear RUM is still alive and well (Marnarina here, RUM GL 02/13 – 12/13).
Many great guilds left UW leading up to and during WvW season 1. A large percentage of RUM actually under went server transfer at that time as well and formed DKAL (The Drunken Alliance) on Piken Square.

Even back then, UW was in trouble. PvE was empty and morale was low. I saw world bosses like Shatterer fail every other spawn during peak hours, and WvW became a waste land (though I did see the return of Archy). However even now on Piken Square, PvE seems empty outside of the LS zone, and I hardly ever see queues for WvW any more.

Also if someone wants to do something, they just guest to a server who is better at that thing they want to do. Makes sense in terms of ‘efficiency’, but it kills the server spirit when people don’t work together.

Guild Co-Leader of The Drunken Alliance [DKAL] (The Piken Square Server)
Proud to be an Engineer
http://www.dkalfansite.com/

Posted by: Tolkien.4810

Tolkien.4810

Grungebr[MPK] – Darkhaven
“If you have nothing good to say, just don’t say nothing… "

Max Lexandre.6279

If we the guilds that confirmed really leave, and the ones that will leave when they see the major guilds go away… Underworld will lose thousands of players.

I mean, there is no way to save this server if this keeps going, and due that, i’m also wondering to transfer to other server. I can’t even play PVE Correctly without feel i’m playing a singleplayer game, WvW can have fun times but mostly we are with very low pops and guild organization to actually provide some fight.

I feel ANET will be forced to merge servers soon enough, GW2 is no longer full of players online and all spread around the world map playing together, and that is very visible on some particular servers.

Asura thing.

Posted by: nekretaal.6485

nekretaal.6485

Zerg PvE and WvW seasons are killing all but the biggest servers.

#24 leaderboard rank North America.

Posted by: Tolkien.4810

Tolkien.4810

Zerg PvE and WvW seasons are killing all but the biggest servers.

/thread

Grungebr[MPK] – Darkhaven
“If you have nothing good to say, just don’t say nothing… "

Posted by: Lunchbox.6970

Lunchbox.6970

The grass is not greener… There is no magical result that will make this game better by switching to another server. You will find anywhere you go.. 75% of these servers do not have the populations to do the so called high end elite content, like Tequatl, marionette and the like. I hope people don’t spend all there gems playing musical servers, fattening anets pockets while finding out you should have stayed where you were…

Except transfers to certain servers are now free for a limited time so there will most likely be a mass exodus from low ranked servers.

Max Lexandre.6279

Yup i can confirm thousands of players leaving Underworld, our guild left to Gandara as many others. Not sure what will happen there after this, but it’s happening the Inverse of ANET wanted, servers with lowest ranks are losing their pops.

Asura thing.

Posted by: Bloodstealer.5978

Bloodstealer.5978

If we the guilds that confirmed really leave, and the ones that will leave when they see the major guilds go away… Underworld will lose thousands of players.

I mean, there is no way to save this server if this keeps going, and due that, i’m also wondering to transfer to other server. I can’t even play PVE Correctly without feel i’m playing a singleplayer game, WvW can have fun times but mostly we are with very low pops and guild organization to actually provide some fight.

I feel ANET will be forced to merge servers soon enough, GW2 is no longer full of players online and all spread around the world map playing together, and that is very visible on some particular servers.

You keep saying you/your guild are not liking UW cos of the state of population and your thinking to/have left.. then you say you cant even do PvE etc as it is like your playing singleplayer.. don’t you and your guild speak/play together? How can it be a singleplayer solo game if you and your guild are doing things together – maybe that’s your issue, maybe your guild isn’t doing things together. For PvE surely that’s all that’s required aside from some World events, which you are able to guest for in order to be involved.
Don’t get me wrong I think your right Underworld is at a seriously low ebb currently and ANET ignore the issues regardless, but UW isn’t the only server suffering for sure…. WvW transfers sales prior to S1 and the imminent tournament are definitely a smack in the face for those servers as even when free the xfers wont attract anyone to Underworld now so many of us are looking at the best alternative, which I agree seems to be Gandara – - See you there

Personally I am thinking ANET are taking a leaf out of Biowares book and allowing servers to implode all by themselves before killing time on them, but making as much in gem sales as possible in the time it takes – though like SWTOR they stand the very real risk that players wont bother xfering instead just leave the game behind period and what’s left makes for a much smaller MMO which then has to exact more pressure through the cash shop in order to keep their model sustainable.. something I think wont work either in GW2 – time will tell though.

Posted by: Sourde Noire.5286

Sourde Noire.5286

Our small guild left as well.

After playing on UW for more than a year (coming from Fissure of Woe, which was pretty much empty at that time as well), I can’t say I was really happy with the server as a whole. While one may say the grass is always greener on the other servers, and I do think many problems for servers are large scale events and the flocking mentality (who doesn’t know someone who goes ‘Sod this, I’ll go guest on Deso for this’!) which only makes the own server even weaker and more people wanting to leave/guest, to me it’s more than that.

When every PvE map save Queensdale and the one currently having a world boss is quite literally empty, every hub but LA/Genderran only has the odd player running around even on peak hours and noone is playing WvW except for the odd 35-player-blob, then I wonder why UW was ranked Very High in population.

During world events people would just stack up mindlessly and spam 1, I have seen many events fail that shouldn’t have (such as the Shatterer despite being attacked the full 15 minutes); trying to get people to use other tactics or world objects like mortars that can immensely help the damage output go completely ignored. Large scale LS content is/was pretty much impossible; doable on day 1 or 2, then everyone left. Other servers shoved you into an OF even during the final days of Battle of Lion’s Arch. On UW you could get into LA any time of the day, and barely anyone was there.
Now I come to world events at any time, people use smart tactics, world objects, skills without anyone saying anything and generally we come out the event with a huge amount of time left, even on low pop hours.

Whether the new server will be better in the long run, we will see. But I don’t miss UW at all.

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Wait is there a universal free transfer or is it still the same and just low population xfering to another low population? ;/

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: iFruit.6190

iFruit.6190

Anyone on UW or other servers looking to move from their homes would be very welcome on Piken!

We’re sure to have a very fun WvW season, neatly landing into Silver league as of recently, so should you actually consider paying for a transfer within this promotion you should definitely consider it to get some gold-level WvW on a lower tier league!

Oh, and we need PvE people. Drastically. Please. Come. Something like10 ppl per colored knight is not something I’d like to endeavor after expansion comes.

(edited by iFruit.6190)

Posted by: Sourde Noire.5286

Sourde Noire.5286

Wait is there a universal free transfer or is it still the same and just low population xfering to another low population? ;/

The transfer cost between March 18 and March 27 is derived from the standing of the server in the WvWvW rankings. To servers on certain ranks (lower ones), the transfer is free. To the servers with good WvWvW ranks, its costly. It doesn’t have anything to do with the server population directly.

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

Well WAR just left. It is getting desolate indeed.

Posted by: Mad Pig.2890

Mad Pig.2890

Now is the best time to make the jump into Desolation

You think your life is hard? You don’t even main a Ranger.
~Desolation~

Mirta.5029

Now is the best time to make the jump into Desolation

lol. Really though I’m staying. UW is a very nice server save for a few kittens. All it lacks is population. Maybe it would help if it got marked as not high?

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

With free transfers, it’s pretty much inevitable that there will be some serious condensing of population. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if at least one server gets emptied as a result.

However, I’m sure there are plenty of people mistaking the condensing of servers for thinking that the overall population is being wiped out or something, lol.

Posted by: Bertrand.3057

Bertrand.3057

UW refugees who have not been invited to transfer to Gandara will not be welcomed by the Gandara WvW community. I can’t speak for the PvE community or for every player but there is a wide consensus that further transfers will be harmful to our community and will be looked down upon.

Edit: This post will come across as excessively hostile and arrogant for anyone just hopping into this thread, the reason for that is very real concern about large guilds showing up unannounced on our server and disrupting our existing community. I stress that many servers (Aurora Glade, Gunnar’s Hold, Far Shiverpeaks, Whiteside Ridge, Ruins of Surmia, Blacktide, Vabbi, Fissure of Woe, and yes, Underworld) are still looking for additional WvW players and guilds in the EU time slot.

Talleyrand, Captain and Commander of the Bloody Pirates
Asura on patrol in defense of Gandara and Bessie!
Administrator of http://thisisgandara.com

(edited by Bertrand.3057)

Mirta.5029

UW refugees who have not been invited to transfer to Gandara will not be welcomed by the Gandara WvW community. I can’t speak for the PvE community or for every player but there is a wide consensus that further transfers will be harmful to our community and will be looked down upon.

1. Dude that’s really harsh. Let’s say that Bob, that never belonged to a guild and never read the forums decided to change server. Suddenly everyone is being mean to him. Bob will probably just quit the game and spread the rumour that GW2 community is awful. Do not do that.
2. Can you direct overspill of people to UW? Please? I have a feeling that the server can succeed without there being guilds even, it’s just that we don’t even have people to band together with.

Posted by: Bertrand.3057

Bertrand.3057

Since it’s impossible to tell who actually came from UW, let’s just say that comment isn’t directed towards “Bob”.

We’ll direct the overspill as best we can, I know that AG will be dropping to rank 13 and needs to replace its out-transfers, any other Bronze League servers that need these transfers are welcome to speak up. Gandara concluded its recruiting last week and we would not like to be brought up as a potential destination for EU players, which is why I chose to speak firmly.

Talleyrand, Captain and Commander of the Bloody Pirates
Asura on patrol in defense of Gandara and Bessie!
Administrator of http://thisisgandara.com

Posted by: TwanBr.8340

TwanBr.8340

The general Gandaran community will most certainly warmly welcome Bob or anyone who transfers. The point is that our WvW queues have skyrocketed since these free transfers and we (as WvW community) feel the need to start drawing a line to keep the server as enjoyable as it is and has been. Complete guild transfers should therefor be carefully reconsidered and communicated about.
In the case we are contacted by a guild or individuals about transferring to Gandara, we can definitely direct them towards other servers, including UW, if we feel the need to do so.

Proud Gandaran

Posted by: Redball.7236

Redball.7236

I honestly think at this point the majority of UW’s community should just move, it might make Anet realize there actually is a serious population problem and consider some server merges.

You get the benefit of not being on a dead server, and after all there’s hardly any server pride left since much of what made the old UW community has already gone.

As a side note people really should stop acting as if their opinion represents a whole server, or making decisions for the server without consulting others, it’s downright rude.

Cassius Snowstorm – Engineer
Tycho Snowpaw – Guardian
Gandara – [WvW]

Posted by: Immolator.5640

Immolator.5640

I’ll agree here, if only on this point. Gandara is no longer recruiting, we welcome Bob but if you’re a guild please please please please ask us first or contact us or give some prior indication. I know these things aren’t always cleancut but if there’s any way possible please say something before moving large guilds here. In his defense Talley did say that he doesn’t attempt to represent all players, I do know his views are shared by a fair few people, if only not as strongly worded

Urrghh I hate politics.

Commander Ezekiel The Paladin
Underworld Battalion [WvW] Leader (retired) – Gandara [EU]
All Is Vain https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/pvp/pvp/gf-left-me-coz-of-ladderboard/

Posted by: FrizzFreston.5290

FrizzFreston.5290

Oh noes, I think that everyone that wants to transfer, has the power to do so. Being looked down upon or not, many guilds could just transfer to your server and you would never know. Sounds like underworld when people tried to lead that as one hive mind. You sound like some guys, that we had on Underworld.

In my opinion, it’s a game, which means, deal with your environment, adapt to changes, or crumble and fail. Gaming is all about overcoming obstacles and challenges. This includes sudden influx of players, players disagreeing/“not obeying” with your self proclaimed best policy and all that stuff.

As such, a server is only dead when there are no people in it. There are still people in Underworld, therefore it’s not dead.

“It isn’t working!” CL4P-TP
Ingame Name: Guardian Erik

(edited by FrizzFreston.5290)