Uninstanced Salma, new walls.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: LowestTruth.2635

LowestTruth.2635

Why not make a hidden back entrance, and plop down an NPC just inside who explains what RPing is and what the uninstanced area is used for?

There’s a door off the beaten path that is currently barred, to the side down the ramp. It’s far enough away from the personal story entrance that it should suffice. They just have to prop it open a little. Easy &… well, seems easy and simple. We shall see what their solution is.

The PS entrance is obviously the first time human characters are guided into the green star to start the instance, so it makes sense they’d want to protect that.

Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Onshidesigns.1069

Onshidesigns.1069

We’re listening. That area was never intended to be accessible, but we’re looking at other changes we can make that won’t confuse players trying to visit their home instance or continue their story, and won’t get in the way of RPers. I don’t have an ETA for when a change will go in, though, sorry!

I don’t RP but i don’t mind RP’s. They add life to areas.

I’m not sure how there is any confusion for players trying to visit their home instance.

Posted by: Tregarde.6031

Tregarde.6031

We’re listening. That area was never intended to be accessible, but we’re looking at other changes we can make that won’t confuse players trying to visit their home instance or continue their story, and won’t get in the way of RPers. I don’t have an ETA for when a change will go in, though, sorry!

Thank you for listening. There is a finite amount of open, uncontested places in GW2, so when we lose access to one that so many had been enjoying it can be a blow. I’m sure people will understand that it may take a little while, but we can be patient.

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

Thank you very much.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

No offence, but that is seriously overcomplicating it. The instance markers are clear as day, they always have been. Has there ever been anyone trying to do the claw island mission running around like a headless chicken yelling “where is the boat, how do I board it, I’ll drown without a boat?!”.

Sometimes, making a change is as simple as opening a door.

Just make one marker for the home instance in a different color than regular mission markers… Then open that door.

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

What is a salma?

I personally find The Secret World way more RP friendly, guildwars 2 is too locked out of things.

Posted by: Kichwas.7152

Kichwas.7152

Anyway, the bar at the top of LA is called the Cloud Skimmer. It gets used daily. I can’t speak as much to how much use Charr or Asura areas get because my RP characters have no reason to ever go there.

This one:

Doesn’t seem to have a name in-game. I never see anyone up there. Just coming at the wrong times?

Attachments:

http://kichwas.wordpress.com/ – GW2 Blog Presenting the Opposing View
JAH Bless – Equal Rights and Justice for all.
Justice And Honor – Tarnished Coast.

Posted by: Basharic.1654

Basharic.1654

I’m no role player but I’ll add my voice to the complaint about new invisible walls or restructuring terrain. My bud and I are unrepentant jumpers, we look for the best places to throw ourselves off constantly. One of our favorites, Mt. Maelstrom, recently had the terrain changed, forcing us to use a lower elevation as our launch point.

We now have to launch from the vista instead of the much higher point to the right of it. As far as we can tell this was done only to nerf fun. The change serves no other purpose we can see.

Edit: while we are discussing this, can we please have a route to the top of the priory’s mountain? The craters we could leave with that kind of elevation would be fantastic.

(edited by Basharic.1654)

Posted by: Talenna.4052

Talenna.4052

What is a salma?

I personally find The Secret World way more RP friendly, guildwars 2 is too locked out of things.

Salma is the personal home district in Divinity’s Reach
I find exactly the opposite. TSW has too few open buildings, the world is too small and the cash shop is terrible!

Each to her/his own, I suppose

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

I can’t think of a valid reason they would NEED to do this, so I would bet good money this was just a “bug fix” that had been on the docket since headstart. There are a lot of those out there. They likely had no idea that RPers cared so much for the zone, and if you make enough noise you might be able to get them to bring it back.

Posted by: Alexandr Nocturne.9140

Alexandr Nocturne.9140

I would absolutely love unoccupied dungeons for RPing. Formal balls and performances in Caudacus’ Manor anyone?

That being said, a simple menu upon entering could do the trick, allowing people to enter the “general” or “instanced” versions of the areas.

I am currently running our guild storyline, and I am finding it increasingly frustrating to find places to set adventures in. Being able to go into an uninstanced Catacombs, for example, gives a nice, large area for some sort of Ascalonian event.

Please ANet, give us more areas to play in, and we’ll keep buying your baubles off the Black Lion.

Posted by: Bottled Tiger.5084

Bottled Tiger.5084

I agree Alex. Uninstanced dungeons would be really fun!

Posted by: Carlie.3869

Carlie.3869

I’ve personally never tried to enter the uninstanced Salma, but after reading this thread (and the one on Reddit) I’ve decided to give it a try.
I got in on the first try, without much effort, and I don’t have any Blink skills (Warrior).

So what is all the fuss about, exactly..?

The walls that got fixed must have probably been ones that new players who are unfamiliar with the instance could accidentally get through while doing their story, so that would be a valid reason.

(edited by Carlie.3869)

Posted by: Uruz Six.6594

Uruz Six.6594

I would absolutely love unoccupied dungeons for RPing. Formal balls and performances in Caudacus’ Manor anyone?

That being said, a simple menu upon entering could do the trick, allowing people to enter the “general” or “instanced” versions of the areas.

I am currently running our guild storyline, and I am finding it increasingly frustrating to find places to set adventures in. Being able to go into an uninstanced Catacombs, for example, gives a nice, large area for some sort of Ascalonian event.

Please ANet, give us more areas to play in, and we’ll keep buying your baubles off the Black Lion.

Signed and +1! More uninstanced toys for us roleplayers!

Skoryy, sylvari thief: “Act now, figure out ‘with wisdom’ later.”
Nanuchka, norn mesmer: “BOOZEAHOL!”
Tarnished Coast – Still Here, El Guapo!

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

Am I the only player who doesn’t understand why the home instance is an instance in the first place?

Can somebody explain it to me?

I think it would be enough to instance it as needed, same as with the rest of Tyria / personal story chapters…

(edited by Pixelpumpkin.4608)

Posted by: Montari.1824

Montari.1824

Not that hard to hop the fence with blink shadow stepping and necrotic traversal. I do think this should be opened up. Two whole areas of DR lost to the players → first was the cantan district

Posted by: BlameAmes.3581

BlameAmes.3581

The Canthan District was never closed, though. The district itself never ‘was’, to begin with. R.I.P.

Anyway, I agree with the suggestion that the doors near either side of the district (Cemetery or vista tower) that are closed be opened.

Or, at least, make a jump puzzle out of getting into the district. We like weeding out the unskilled in TC.

Posted by: Sylv.5324

Sylv.5324

I think that a big part of the frustration is that there are a few very unique spots in Salma that are nowhere else in town, such as the Hospital, the three separate houses, that really nice bar, etc.

If folks are roleplaying injured characters, or healers, medical staff, etc, losing the hospital completely short-circuits a lot of roleplay.

If Salma stays closed, possibly relocating those areas (Eastern Commons/Dwayna’s Quarter is pretty empty) would probably help!

Anyway, with roughly at least 10k roleplayers clustered in three servers, that is a lot of long-term players who buy regularly from the cash shop AND don’t require constant content upgrades who would like to see some kind of solution. <3 So thank you for looking into it. It’s appreciated.

Ardeth, Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Sylv.5324

Sylv.5324

Anyway, I agree with the suggestion that the doors near either side of the district (Cemetery or vista tower) that are closed be opened.

This could be the easiest solution of all, as it would not interfere with all the quest markers pointing folks there.

Ardeth, Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Evermore.4798

Evermore.4798

I just found this thread. I am new to the game and trying to complete divinity’s Points of Interest before I move on. I guess I apparently, as a human noble, had the opportunity to complete the POI at first level, but who knew? I am a bit on the obsessive compulsive side and not being able to complete this in my home city (my home district too! ha!) is going to drive me nuts. I see there is a prompt to talk to the guard who says basically “go on inside” but nothing becomes clickable. bah.

Posted by: Ratty.5176

Ratty.5176

Make of it what you will

Attachments:

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

I honestly don’t see the problem with opening up all of the Home Districts to roleplayers. I mean, we already suspend our disbelief to some extent when we walk up to our green Personal Story icons in the Open World to enter an instance. Why can’t we just do the same thing for the Home Districts?

“Would you like to enter your Personal Home District?”

“No.”

Continue on inside and commence the roleplaying.

Posted by: Nico Chosso.8973

Nico Chosso.8973

it is still possible to get in the salma district. u Need some creative jumpings and the experimental rifle;)

Posted by: Maldracai.2698

Maldracai.2698

Six months later and still no open side doors? Gotta love the Reds coming along with “Promises” to settle the masses.

Posted by: Forst.5863

Forst.5863

I will quote myself from another thread here:

1. There are instances in Divinity’s Reach. They have separate maps.
2. The same areas exist, fully animated and stuffed with NPCs, in the uninstanced map of Divinity’s Reach. You cannot enter them, because they are shut off by visible, and since the last update also invisible, walls.
3. ????
4. Profit.

Like the Minister’s Mansion, the Flagon cellar, and some other places, my game/PC/Loading Screen Of Doom has to fully load this area (Salma), while I am not able to enter it.