Unnecessary Invisible Walls

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Purple Miku.7032

Purple Miku.7032

Arenanet normally places invisible walls all over the place to prevent players from going out of bounds.

The problem that I have with this is that sometimes they’re placed for literally no reason. Like, I understand if you want to prevent players from abusing terrain to safespot bosses/take massive shortcuts in dungeons but when it comes to something for example like, climbing to the top of the highest mountain in Timberline Falls… why? What’s the point? Why not allow people to go up there for fun, to see the highest viewpoint in the map and maybe jump off after taking a picture or something?

Also sometimes the invisible walls are placed really lazily, like for example around the entrance to the Ruined City of Arah dungeon. You’ll notice that a lot of the decorative giant ribcage bones that surround the area can’t be approached because you’ll magically hit an invisible barrier.

The point of this thread is just to express distaste with pointless invisible walls. Some of them I understand the purpose of, but sometimes they serve no purpose at all. I just wish/hope that in the future they would be placed appropriately to prevent abuse ingame, not to inhibit any and all exploration.

And if any of you haven’t tried it, “goating” can be quite fun.

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

well I really do not mind goating, It can be nice running to the edge of the world and somtimes there are beautiful areas , above Arah dungeon is a beautiful area… Been there 2 or 3 times and: they nerfed it… Some devs actually did thier best to make a beautiful part outside the world, but noone is allowed to look at it….

The walls should be placed on theoutsides of maps, so you cannot enter neighbouring areas without spawns, but not to kick down explorers. In PvE there generally is no gain unless you go under a map. I’d suggest making invisible maps underneath the map instead of on top. We get to adventure and explore.
People used to stand above TA dungeon previously, but it’s not possible anymore…

We’ re heroes trying to exlore a world, A-Net makes this world smaller and smaller.

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

Purple Miku.7032

I’m glad you agree, I love exploring. I just find it pointless how random invisible walls prevent you from doing simple such as standing on top of a mountain to take a picture.

Here are some pictures that I’ve taken of goating, to put it into perspective of how enjoyable it can be!

Posted by: Andred.1087

Andred.1087

I would wager a guess that most places they don’t want you climbing up to (aside from exploits) are places where you would be able to see beyond the carefully-crafted illusion of the game world. Maps in video games are as minimal as they can be (for what the devs want), and if players can gain access to places where they see the endless void behind the curtain, it’s just tacky. Since they can’t make an infinite world for the players to explore, they have to put up boundaries that prevent them from reaching the places that break the illusion.

“You’ll PAY to know what you really think.” ~ J. R. “Bob” Dobbs

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

Well, I broke lut of DR once upon a time and explored the little houses and towers at the top.

Illusion of depth and distance: indeed shattered forever.

It was exhilarating at that moment, but sort of ruined the map for me in the ling run.

I wish I hadn’t.

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

I would wager a guess that most places they don’t want you climbing up to (aside from exploits) are places where you would be able to see beyond the carefully-crafted illusion of the game world. Maps in video games are as minimal as they can be (for what the devs want), and if players can gain access to places where they see the endless void behind the curtain, it’s just tacky. Since they can’t make an infinite world for the players to explore, they have to put up boundaries that prevent them from reaching the places that break the illusion.

Probably so. Still would have been nice if we could just climb up stuff.

Purple Miku.7032

I guess that’s one way to look at it, but not all invisible walls placed prevent access with the intention of that.

That’s my point really… there’s many invisible walls placed that serve absolutely no purpose.

Posted by: Shadeofgrey.3065

Shadeofgrey.3065

This reminds me of one time in Cursed Shore when an Orrian tree node was placed at a spot where a pact ship had crashed and the node was inside an invisible wall. I had to shadow step to break past the wall just to get to the node.

Purple Miku.7032

I remember that orrian tree node. It annoyed me tremendously, it was the one that was in front of the entrance to the promenade of the gods. :\

Posted by: Doghouse.1562

Doghouse.1562

I guess that’s one way to look at it, but not all invisible walls placed prevent access with the intention of that.

That’s my point really… there’s many invisible walls placed that serve absolutely no purpose.

I suspect it’s the easy option – “We don’t know what the unintended consequences of letting people go there would be, so rather than having to waste manpower dealing with them after the event, let’s just prevent them in the first place.” Frustrating as a player, at times, but probably eminently sensible as a developer.