Update on the Economy

Update on the Economy

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Artemis Thuras.8795

Artemis Thuras.8795

Why cant you get 100+ charged lodestones from playing the game?
Is there a hardware coded maximum limit per player?

I actually have 92 charged lodestones, and a little over 100 charged cores -all of them drops, as of this moment.

Getting 100 purely as drops is completely possible.. if you don’t mind collecting them for over a year ;P

Co-Leader of The Mythical Dragons [MYTH],
Advocate of learning and being a useful party member.
http://mythdragons.enjin.com/recruitment

Update on the Economy

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

I wouldve said that sticking around in bloodstone fen and ember bay definitely help with gaining leather.

Though personally instead of sticking those salvage materials in one map, buffing them all over the game would be much better for replayability.

Core tyria could really use some love I would say.

It would have tanked the prices if it was made to drop like that on all maps.

Update on the Economy

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

I wouldve said that sticking around in bloodstone fen and ember bay definitely help with gaining leather.

Though personally instead of sticking those salvage materials in one map, buffing them all over the game would be much better for replayability.

You almost make it sound as if TP was more important than the rest of the game…

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Update on the Economy

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

Its not that its an anathema, its the fact that we shouldn’t have to buy mats from the TP to craft a legendary. That’s the whole point. For a lot of stuff, even just medium ascended armor, you have to either buy it from the TP or spend months farming leather to get enough, and that is just absurd that we are put in a position like that.

I do agree that the lodestones was a poor example, but leather is not. For how many uses it has, and for how much you need, it should be something that you can farm yourself from nodes, but you can’t. We shouldn’t have to buy it off the TP, yet we do

This is a bizarre argument. Why shouldn’t you have to buy things off the TP? The entire game is centered around it, and has been from the beginning. It’s an integral component of the game.

I don’t think that’s the point OriOri was trying to make.

What they were trying to say is: it shouldn’t be the only method to obtain one’s goal in a reasonable amount of time.

Good thing it is not the only way. Every item that is on the TP can be obtained in the game.

But not in a reasonable time frame for some items. Which was the point OriOri was making, that quantities of rare drops items should be obtained in multiple ways within a reasonable time frame.

Update on the Economy

Ayrilana.1396

Part of the game should not be nerfed simply because players prefer not to do another part of the game. The TP is just as much a part of the game as everything else. Players have the option to use the TP or they can farm the items themselves. There are also players who sell those mats so tanking the prices would negatively affect them.

Update on the Economy

Seera.5916

Part of the game should not be nerfed simply because players prefer not to do another part of the game. The TP is just as much a part of the game as everything else. Players have the option to use the TP or they can farm the items themselves. There are also players who sell those mats so tanking the prices would negatively affect them.

This.

It should also be noted that items with large supply and at vendor price will likely be items that get new sinks or drop rates lowered once they start adjusting things again.

Update on the Economy

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

Its not that its an anathema, its the fact that we shouldn’t have to buy mats from the TP to craft a legendary. That’s the whole point. For a lot of stuff, even just medium ascended armor, you have to either buy it from the TP or spend months farming leather to get enough, and that is just absurd that we are put in a position like that.

I do agree that the lodestones was a poor example, but leather is not. For how many uses it has, and for how much you need, it should be something that you can farm yourself from nodes, but you can’t. We shouldn’t have to buy it off the TP, yet we do

This is a bizarre argument. Why shouldn’t you have to buy things off the TP? The entire game is centered around it, and has been from the beginning. It’s an integral component of the game.

If that is what you got out of my comment then you missed my argument. Like @Seera said, the TP shouldn’t be the only viable way of obtaining crafting mats that are needed in large quantities without waiting months to get them.

Leather, particularly T5 leather, is needed in absolutely huge quantities, needing over 1,000 raw pieces of T5 leather to make a single ascended medium chest piece. Yet there is absolutely no way to farm it. The only viable way to obtain that much leather in a reasonable time is to buy it on the TP, which is a fundamentally flawed design for this part of the economy. Mystic Coins are in a similar boat, but not as pressing considered they are used primarily for vanity/cosmetic items. However considering how many the average player can get per month (average player being those that login everyday but only have 1 account), the amount of recipes that use mystic coins is way too high (especially considering almost 90 of those recipes for weapons are not even for legendary weapons).

Its no surprise that people hoard these mats. They need a metric kittenton to make anything, and yet we have absolutely no way to farm that amount. The only way to get that much is to buy them off the TP, so why sell if you know that you will end up buying them back, probably at an inflated cost.

You can get a lot of leather from doing the HoT metas and looting chests. You also don’t need to earn all of the leather at once since the T7 refinement recipe is timegated. All that the TP does is provide an alternative way to obtain the items by using supply that other players so not need.

You need 6 days to craft the timegated T7 leather for that medium ascended chestpiece. You will not get over 1,000 leather as drops in 6 days. There is a HUGE disconnect between the amount of leather needed for crafting and the amount that you get from normal gameplay. This is different from all other base mats. Wood and metal can be farmed, as well as are the most common mats from salvaging (which doesn’t make sense to me). Silk/thread/whatever you want to call that category has a high enough salvage rate that it is fairly easy to accumulate a largeish supply through salvaging, and you also don’t need as much thread as you need leather for most items.

This is just not healthy.

Update on the Economy

Ayrilana.1396

If that is what you got out of my comment then you missed my argument. Like @Seera said, the TP shouldn’t be the only viable way of obtaining crafting mats that are needed in large quantities without waiting months to get them.

Leather, particularly T5 leather, is needed in absolutely huge quantities, needing over 1,000 raw pieces of T5 leather to make a single ascended medium chest piece. Yet there is absolutely no way to farm it. The only viable way to obtain that much leather in a reasonable time is to buy it on the TP, which is a fundamentally flawed design for this part of the economy. Mystic Coins are in a similar boat, but not as pressing considered they are used primarily for vanity/cosmetic items. However considering how many the average player can get per month (average player being those that login everyday but only have 1 account), the amount of recipes that use mystic coins is way too high (especially considering almost 90 of those recipes for weapons are not even for legendary weapons).

Its no surprise that people hoard these mats. They need a metric kittenton to make anything, and yet we have absolutely no way to farm that amount. The only way to get that much is to buy them off the TP, so why sell if you know that you will end up buying them back, probably at an inflated cost.

You can get a lot of leather from doing the HoT metas and looting chests. You also don’t need to earn all of the leather at once since the T7 refinement recipe is timegated. All that the TP does is provide an alternative way to obtain the items by using supply that other players so not need.

You need 6 days to craft the timegated T7 leather for that medium ascended chestpiece. You will not get over 1,000 leather as drops in 6 days. There is a HUGE disconnect between the amount of leather needed for crafting and the amount that you get from normal gameplay. This is different from all other base mats. Wood and metal can be farmed, as well as are the most common mats from salvaging (which doesn’t make sense to me). Silk/thread/whatever you want to call that category has a high enough salvage rate that it is fairly easy to accumulate a largeish supply through salvaging, and you also don’t need as much thread as you need leather for most items.

This is just not healthy.

You can if you do the HoT metas each day. I get a ton of gear that can be salvaged resulting in a lot of thick leather. Of course the lower tiered mats are a little more difficult to get but that’s by design. I have had successes with the Bloodstone Fen map though.

Update on the Economy

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

Hmmm to me that post sounds like: “I’m off to work on GW3 economic system, see ya guys!”

Update on the Economy

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

i farmed silverwastes for about 4 hours to get a stack of gear and purses and 100 heirloom pouches. opened them all and got 25 hardened leather sections. thats a kittenton of work for that little hardened leather.

Sounds about right, I did 6 hours of Bloodstone fen and got 30 back before Ember Bay came out with map hopping UG and tagging as many events as I could.

“It’s supposed to take so much time and resources that it becomes repetitive and zero fun and the player leaves out of frustration, probably to never support the game again, because they can’t even get a single build they actually want to play, let alone participate in all the content and other rewards the game offers.”

(edited by Conncept.7638)

Update on the Economy

Ayrilana.1396

i farmed silverwastes for about 4 hours to get a stack of gear and purses and 100 heirloom pouches. opened them all and got 25 hardened leather sections. thats a kittenton of work for that little hardened leather.

Sounds about right, I did 6 hours of Bloodstone fen and got 30 back before Ember Bay came out with map hopping UG and tagging as many events as I could.

“It’s supposed to take so much time and resources that it becomes repetitive and zero fun and the players leaves out of frustration, probably to never support the game again, because they can’t even get a single build they actually want to play, let alone participate in all the content and other rewards the game offers.”

Ascended armor is optional equipment that isn’t needed for anything but high level fractals for the infusion slots.

Update on the Economy

Posted by: Spook.5847

Spook.5847

Look. All we want, is consistency.

2 Iron Ores makes 1 Iron Ingot
2 Silk Scraps makes 1 Bolt of Silk
2 Thick Leather Sections makes 1 Cured Thick Leather Square
2 Hardened Leather Sections makes 1 Cured Hardened Leather Square
3 Softwood Logs makes 1 Softwood Plank

Please fix it, thank you.

Exactly this. And while you are at it, repair the drop rates of hardened leather.

Update on the Economy

Spook.5847

To address this, we’re taking a step back from the standard amount of economy balancing we’re doing; in fact, we’ve actually already started doing that.

This statement confused me a bit.

Using the flax example, exactly what steps was ANet taking to “balance” the price?

Horrible example – unless he’s pointing to a huge mistake. Flax should be way lower in number to make a vial.

Update on the Economy

Spook.5847

It only sounds right if you’re a masochist – and one with no life, to boot.

Update on the Economy

Spook.5847

Hello everyone, I’m John Smith, the Studio Economist for ArenaNet. We’ve kept pretty silent about the economy recently, but today I’m here to talk about our current strategy.

Guild Wars 2 has an amazing economy, one of the largest and most active in-game economies ever created. ArenaNet takes pride in offering players an ever-changing world that lives and grows with them. As the game develops, the economy must develop as well, and that’s one of the many reasons we’ve made hundreds of changes to economy balance throughout the lifetime of the game.

For the most part the continuous monitoring and balancing has led to an incredibly stable economy with sustainable growth and reasonable inflation levels. However, we’ve noticed a disturbing side-effect of that continuous balancing: For many markets we’ve accidently set the idea of a price, rather than the market setting the idea of a price. Flax is a great example of a market where the prices weren’t really reflective of input or demand, but rather the idea of a value. Eventually players recognized that there was an abundance of flax and the price began to trend in a positive direction. We’ve noticed that a large number of markets are exhibiting this behavior in both directions—resulting in their being underpriced or overpriced—and their prices no longer reflect the average wealth or income of players.

To address this, we’re taking a step back from the standard amount of economy balancing we’re doing; in fact, we’ve actually already started doing that. We hope to see many markets adjust their prices to match the current state of the economy. We do recognize that there are some markets moving to a place where we aren’t looking for them to be; once we see the economy moving we can reassess the markets and make improvements, as we have in the past.

I agree, for the most part. But I do wish you would get off your butts and fix AB multimap already.

So you must be a marketeer, since clearly to you “fix” means to shaft the rest of the players from one of their few decent farming methods :/

Look; we want to craft, etc without buying your overpriced stuff. We should be able to do that with casual gameplay. The market should be for finished items and rare/ascended stuff. Right now it is pretty much just a harvesting/logging/mining simulation.

Update on the Economy

Posted by: zaced.7948

zaced.7948

this is what deregulation of financial institutions (tp-powerhouses) looks like in a video game. what has worked sooooooo well (kappa) in rl will definitely work in gw2.

can we pls force anet to hire one of bernie sanders’ economy advisors?

Update on the Economy

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Can’t believe someone can’t acquire 200 thick sections a day. Oh that’s right, lets not spend any coin to get what you need.

The purpose of the TP is to provide what you can’t get on your own and sell off what you don’t need. And I don’t just mean buying the actual Thick Leather Sections themselves. You can get a nice discount by buying items that salvage into Thick Leather Sections, salvage nerf or not. Use the entire player base as your farmers for tougher materials while you focus on farming and selling off the materials that are easier to farm to buy what you can’t.

There is a way, it’s just some steadfastly refuse to use the methods in game to get what they need. Their loss.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Update on the Economy

Posted by: fishball.7204

fishball.7204

It only sounds right if you’re a masochist – and one with no life, to boot.

I know you’re 50 kinds of salty right now but I meant that his experience mirrors mines when I say sounds about right rather than the drop rate is fine.

FOR THE GREEEEEEEEEEEEN

Update on the Economy

Posted by: perilisk.1874

perilisk.1874

The main issue with the economy is that there’s very little avenue for players to differentiate themselves in terms of what they need or what they can provide. There’s minimal specialization of labor except in how players spend their time, and not much specialization of demand either, even less once alts are considered.

In the end, you just have an economy primarily comprised of subsistence farmers who trade the occasional surplus they come by for the occasional shortage they have, with a few dedicated farmers and a small merchant class of TP enthusiasts with more dedication to watching prices, a longer time preference, and/or more storage space to spare.

Ceterum censeo Sentim Punicam esse delendam

Update on the Economy

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

Can’t believe someone can’t acquire 200 thick sections a day. Oh that’s right, lets not spend any coin to get what you need.

People like getting direct rewards for actions performed in game. It’s much more satisfying to slay a monster for what you need than to RP a lumberjack and trade logs for it instead.

This isn’t a hard concept to understand.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

Update on the Economy

Posted by: Slashmeehup.1495

Slashmeehup.1495

People like getting direct rewards for actions performed in game. It’s much more satisfying to slay a monster for what you need than to RP a lumberjack and trade logs for it instead.

You do get loot for killing things, though. Events, Bosses, Fractals, dungeons, and all kinds of heroic stuff gives you loot to sell. In fact, just about any activity in this game does.

Update on the Economy

Seera.5916

You do get loot for killing things, though. Events, Bosses, Fractals, dungeons, and all kinds of heroic stuff gives you loot to sell. In fact, just about any activity in this game does.

I seem to recall getting loot from things I kill. Not every enemy in every situation gives loot and the ones that do don’t always give loot and when they do it’s not always what you’re wanting. It could be junk or other things that no other player wants.

It’s all down to RNG there and that for some can be harder to accept. The not knowing when you can expect to finish due to the RNG making the time needed to farm for the items unknown.

While the trading post is an answer, it shouldn’t necessarily always be the answer just because an item has a low drop rate. Maybe the drop rate could be increased slightly to reduce the time needed to get the items. Or adjust recipes to reduce the quantity needed. Some things require 2 of the base mat, others need 3. More consistency between them would help.

Update on the Economy

OriOri.8724

The purpose of the TP is to provide what you can’t get on your own and sell off what you don’t need. And I don’t just mean buying the actual Thick Leather Sections themselves. You can get a nice discount by buying items that salvage into Thick Leather Sections, salvage nerf or not. Use the entire player base as your farmers for tougher materials while you focus on farming and selling off the materials that are easier to farm to buy what you can’t.

There is a way, it’s just some steadfastly refuse to use the methods in game to get what they need. Their loss.

You are deliberately missing the point. People shouldn’t be forced to buy mats off the TP to get what they need in a reasonable time frame. Wood, Ore, and to a lesser extent thread can all be farmed easily, yet leather (which you need in greater quantities) cannot be farmed. The only way to acquire the amount you need to craft anything worthwhile in a reasonable amount of time is to buy it. That’s broken.

But its clear that you are refusing to listen to arguments considering this has already been stated multiple times, by different people, in different words. Its not about whether people want to spend gold on the TP. Its about whether they should be forced to spend gold on the TP to gather all that they need in a reasonable time. And they should not be forced to do that. Thats some next level ignorance right there to believe that.

Update on the Economy

Ayrilana.1396

You are deliberately missing the point. People shouldn’t be forced to buy mats off the TP to get what they need in a reasonable time frame. Wood, Ore, and to a lesser extent thread can all be farmed easily, yet leather (which you need in greater quantities) cannot be farmed. The only way to acquire the amount you need to craft anything worthwhile in a reasonable amount of time is to buy it. That’s broken.

But its clear that you are refusing to listen to arguments considering this has already been stated multiple times, by different people, in different words. Its not about whether people want to spend gold on the TP. Its about whether they should be forced to spend gold on the TP to gather all that they need in a reasonable time. And they should not be forced to do that. Thats some next level ignorance right there to believe that.

It can be farmed and players are not forced to rely on the TP.

Update on the Economy

Posted by: Slashmeehup.1495

Slashmeehup.1495

You are deliberately missing the point. People shouldn’t be forced to buy mats off the TP to get what they need in a reasonable time frame.

I actually disagree with this. The trading post should always be the most effective way to get the things you want.

A big draw of this game is “Play your own way”, and the trading post is the backbone of that philosophy. The fact that virtually everything in the game rewards sellable loot, and most things can be bought with coin, means that you can get practically anything you want by doing practically anything you want. Structuring the game around the TP is deliberate, and I would say, necessary.

Update on the Economy

Seera.5916

How long to get 250 thick leather sections?

What is the total number needed for medium ascended armor?

Is that time frame to get that total number by solely farming anywhere near reasonable? And assume for argument’s sake that the acquisition of leather is the limiting factor for the player.

To me, leather is too rare. They could adjust the recipes or increase drop rates slightly and it would help matters.

Players can’t farm the items needed solely in a reasonable time frame. Because too much time is spent on getting leather. Even dropping from requiring 4 thick leather sections to 3 thick leather sections for making cured thick leather sections would do wonders. So it doesn’t have to be a huge change to make a big difference.

Update on the Economy

Seera.5916

You are deliberately missing the point. People shouldn’t be forced to buy mats off the TP to get what they need in a reasonable time frame.

I actually disagree with this. The trading post should always be the most effective way to get the things you want.

A big draw of this game is “Play your own way”, and the trading post is the backbone of that philosophy. The fact that virtually everything in the game rewards sellable loot, and most things can be bought with coin, means that you can get practically anything you want by doing practically anything you want. Structuring the game around the TP is deliberate, and I would say, necessary.

We’re not asking for farming the mats to become the most efficient method. Just that the time needed to farm the mats be brought to a reasonable amount of time. So that players don’t feel like they have to buy from the TP if they want to complete whatever it is they are making in a reasonable time.

Update on the Economy

Ayrilana.1396

How long to get 250 thick leather sections?

What is the total number needed for medium ascended armor?

Is that time frame to get that total number by solely farming anywhere near reasonable? And assume for argument’s sake that the acquisition of leather is the limiting factor for the player.

To me, leather is too rare. They could adjust the recipes or increase drop rates slightly and it would help matters.

Players can’t farm the items needed solely in a reasonable time frame. Because too much time is spent on getting leather. Even dropping from requiring 4 thick leather sections to 3 thick leather sections for making cured thick leather sections would do wonders. So it doesn’t have to be a huge change to make a big difference.

Only need 150 thick leather skins per day. You farm it the same way players used to farm T6 mats at launch.

Update on the Economy

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

And you are missing the point that the entire economy is designed around forcing players to use the TP so it can take 15% off the top of EVERY trade in the game as the primary gold sink. That’s why drops are RNG. If players got everything they want without trade, the economy stops and nothing has value. RNG makes sure players don’t get everything they want and get lots of things they don’t need or can’t use which makes using the TP a requirement.

Sure you can choose to gather everything on your own but realize it will take longer than the time gate because if the drop rate was high enough for anybody, for instance, to get 200 thick leather sections a day, it’s price will once again be NPC minimum. That’s a price that doesn’t reflect the true value of thick leather sections.

The only way you can farm an RNG reward system is with large numbers of items, which means either a lot of time doing it yourself or you indirectly “contract” the job out to many by buying what others don’t want on the TP.

By not using the TP, you are ignoring the very keystone the game’s economy is built around and is only hurting yourself.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

(edited by Behellagh.1468)

Update on the Economy

Astralporing.1957

Only need 150 thick leather skins per day. You farm it the same way players used to farm T6 mats at launch.

There is a reason why Anet made t6 mats more easily obtainable since then.

Actions, not words.

Update on the Economy

Ayrilana.1396

Well players needed 250 of each which takes a lot of time as T6 is rarer to get than T5 and players needed a stack of each of the 8 fine mats. However, this is much different than T5 leather which is more common to get.

Update on the Economy

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

So is anet going to take any action on Halloween drops/items? The economy for these items was totally and utterly ruined last year. Candy corn is the most supplied item on the TP, with no uses. It dropped WAY too much last year. Will it be toned down and given new sinks this year?

What about T5 mats? They dropped in such abundance from the maze that they never recovered in price. Getting T5 mats is worthless for an entire year because of one event. Will this be fixed this year?

Even things that were supposed to be rare like the tattered wings are over supplied and selling for almost nothing.

Please fix halloween this year and make it a festival, not a grind fest loot farm.

Update on the Economy

Posted by: Tekoneiric.6817

Tekoneiric.6817

The log thing is backward. As one who has actually milled my own lumber, a log should give you several planks. Just saying. Oh and pine is not a hard wood.

I agree. The log/plank ratio and pine thing has bugged me for the longest time. Now I could see the process of making planks producing trash items also like saw dust and kindling. Whoever setup the crafting involving wood seems to have no idea about real world wood production and crafting.

Update on the Economy

Astralporing.1957

Well players needed 250 of each which takes a lot of time as T6 is rarer to get than T5 and players needed a stack of each of the 8 fine mats. However, this is much different than T5 leather which is more common to get.

You only needed 250 for legendaries, not for everyday crafting. If we were only talking about legendaries, leather would be fine (i guess). Problem is, we aren’t talking about them. Not primarily, anyway. The demand for t5 leather vastly outstrips the one for t6 fine mats.

And that’s only t5 leather. Situation with t6 is way worse.

Don’t you see that the fact you even try to compare everyday crafting with Gift of Fortune (and don’t think twice about it) is in itself a sign that something is wrong here?

Actions, not words.

Update on the Economy

Ayrilana.1396

You only needed 250 for legendaries, not for everyday crafting. If we were only talking about legendaries, leather would be fine (i guess). Problem is, we aren’t talking about them. Not primarily, anyway. The demand for t5 leather vastly outstrips the one for t6 fine mats.

And that’s only t5 leather. Situation with t6 is way worse.

Don’t you see that the fact you even try to compare everyday crafting with Gift of Fortune (and don’t think twice about it) is in itself a sign that something is wrong here?

Just because the demand of one items exceeds the demand of others does not mean that there is something wrong. Ascended armor is different than legendary weapons. Oh, and technically it’s 2K fine mats for the gift of fortune. T5 is also much easier to obtain in large quantities than T6 fine mats.

Exactly what constitutes “everyday crafting”? Ascended armor is optional gear which is only really required for high level fractals due to the infusion slots.

Update on the Economy

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

So is anet going to take any action on Halloween drops/items? The economy for these items was totally and utterly ruined last year. Candy corn is the most supplied item on the TP, with no uses. It dropped WAY too much last year. Will it be toned down and given new sinks this year?

What about T5 mats? They dropped in such abundance from the maze that they never recovered in price. Getting T5 mats is worthless for an entire year because of one event. Will this be fixed this year?

Even things that were supposed to be rare like the tattered wings are over supplied and selling for almost nothing.

Please fix halloween this year and make it a festival, not a grind fest loot farm.

the reason why t5 fine mats went down in value one year ago wasnt because of the additional faucet of the lab, it was because HoT introduced crafted precursors, which destroyed the market of crafting rare weapons to forge precursors. Until then, that has been the biggest sink of t5 fine mats.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Update on the Economy

OriOri.8724

There is a difference between it being the most effective way and it being the only reasonable way, and you people are stubbornly refusing to accept this. I never said it should be more efficient to farm your own leather. I said that it should be reasonable to do so if you wanted to. And currently it is not.

This is ridiculous how much you guys are defending a broken system right here. If you want to use teh TP that is fine, but it should by no means be the only reasonable way to obtain the mats you need.

Update on the Economy

Ayrilana.1396

There is a difference between it being the most effective way and it being the only reasonable way, and you people are stubbornly refusing to accept this. I never said it should be more efficient to farm your own leather. I said that it should be reasonable to do so if you wanted to. And currently it is not.

This is ridiculous how much you guys are defending a broken system right here. If you want to use teh TP that is fine, but it should by no means be the only reasonable way to obtain the mats you need.

Exactly what would you consider reasonable?

Update on the Economy

Seera.5916

For anything except for legendary weapons, things for time gated components need to be earned by a player who plays 3-4 hours daily by farming within ~25% within a period of two days assuming that the player spends 30 minutes not farming. So if it take 100 random item to make special object, I should be able to farm ~75 in two days while taking a beark from farming for 30 minutes each day.

Legendary items should be expected to fall within several months.

Update on the Economy

Ayrilana.1396

For anything except for legendary weapons, things for time gated components need to be earned by a player who plays 3-4 hours daily by farming within ~25% within a period of two days assuming that the player spends 30 minutes not farming. So if it take 100 random item to make special object, I should be able to farm ~75 in two days while taking a beark from farming for 30 minutes each day.

Ascended gear is optional and more along the lines of a luxury. There are also various weapons that require lodestones making them take a long time too. In either case, a player can easily get 150 thick leather within 3-4 hours without using the TP.

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

Update on the Economy

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

And you missed my point entirely.

The issue is you’re still farming trash to sell, to buy someone else’s RNG for basic tier crafting materials that have no direct farm.

The “2 blues and a green” meme exists for a reason.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

Update on the Economy

OriOri.8724

Ascended gear is optional and more along the lines of a luxury. There are also various weapons that require lodestones making them take a long time too. In either case, a player can easily get 150 thick leather within 3-4 hours without using the TP.

Frankly you are dodging the point when you state that ascended gear is a “luxury” (even though it is very much needed for high level fractals and the extra stats never hurt in WvW). The important part is that currently you can gather all the mats for a set of heavy or light (with a bit more effort) ascended armor set extremely easily. In fact, for heavy the mats are practically handed to you no matter what you do in the game. But for medium ascended, since it requires such high amounts of leather, this is not true. Why is it that medium armor is singled out so much? Why is it that everyone seems to be ok with this huge disconnect between the availability of leather and the amount needed for anything. And frankly I don’t know what you are doing to obtain150 T5 leather every 3-4 hours without buying it but please inform me.

@Behellagh this is not true at all. Mithril Ore is sold on the TP for almost 7 times its vendor price despite its absolutely kittening huge abundance (has extremely high rate of salvage, all level 80 zones have mithril nodes all over, PvP and WvW reward tracks give out lots of items that either contain or salvage into mithril). Its not hard to get several hundred or more mithril ore per day if you wanted to farm it, yet it is not sold on the TP at vendor prices. Elder wood is sold at over 25 times vendor price on the TP despite being in the same situation as Mithril ore is. So don’t sit here and try to act like leather will fall back to vendor prices if we were suddenly getting it in as much quantity as we get mithril ore and elder wood. The new sinks introduced with HoT would make sure that it would still keep some value.

Not to mention, that I never said that we necessarily needed to be able to farm T5 raw leather a day. I said that we should be able to farm enough to make something useful with it in a reasonable time. That could mean either increasing our access to new leather or vastly decreasing how many are needed for crafting (hell changing it back to only needing 3 T5 leather to refine would already help a kittenton without screwing over the leather market at all), or even both.

All I am saying is that it is fundamentally wrong to force players to rely on the TP to get enough mats to craft anything other than a legendary in a reasonable time frame. Not to mention, that the state of leather is not the same as the state of other raw mats, and should be updated to better match them so as to not kitten over people who need medium armor.

Update on the Economy

Ayrilana.1396

Frankly you are dodging the point when you state that ascended gear is a “luxury” (even though it is very much needed for high level fractals and the extra stats never hurt in WvW). The important part is that currently you can gather all the mats for a set of heavy or light (with a bit more effort) ascended armor set extremely easily. In fact, for heavy the mats are practically handed to you no matter what you do in the game. But for medium ascended, since it requires such high amounts of leather, this is not true. Why is it that medium armor is singled out so much? Why is it that everyone seems to be ok with this huge disconnect between the availability of leather and the amount needed for anything. And frankly I don’t know what you are doing to obtain150 T5 leather every 3-4 hours without buying it but please inform me.

@Behellagh this is not true at all. Mithril Ore is sold on the TP for almost 7 times its vendor price despite its absolutely kittening huge abundance (has extremely high rate of salvage, all level 80 zones have mithril nodes all over, PvP and WvW reward tracks give out lots of items that either contain or salvage into mithril). Its not hard to get several hundred or more mithril ore per day if you wanted to farm it, yet it is not sold on the TP at vendor prices. Elder wood is sold at over 25 times vendor price on the TP despite being in the same situation as Mithril ore is. So don’t sit here and try to act like leather will fall back to vendor prices if we were suddenly getting it in as much quantity as we get mithril ore and elder wood. The new sinks introduced with HoT would make sure that it would still keep some value.

Not to mention, that I never said that we necessarily needed to be able to farm T5 raw leather a day. I said that we should be able to farm enough to make something useful with it in a reasonable time. That could mean either increasing our access to new leather or vastly decreasing how many are needed for crafting (hell changing it back to only needing 3 T5 leather to refine would already help a kittenton without screwing over the leather market at all), or even both.

All I am saying is that it is fundamentally wrong to force players to rely on the TP to get enough mats to craft anything other than a legendary in a reasonable time frame. Not to mention, that the state of leather is not the same as the state of other raw mats, and should be updated to better match them so as to not kitten over people who need medium armor.

I’m not missing the point. You’re just inflating (or it appears so to me) its revelancy so that it fits in your argument that there’s a supposed problem. You get the leather through salvageable materials.

Update on the Economy

Seera.5916

Where is this magical farm of thick leather because I don’t get anywhere near enough to multiply out to 150 in 3-4 hours?

Update on the Economy

Posted by: EphemeralWallaby.7643

EphemeralWallaby.7643

Where is this magical farm of thick leather because I don’t get anywhere near enough to multiply out to 150 in 3-4 hours?

SW Chest farm? Open up all bags/purses w/ your level 80, and salvage everything instead of selling it.

~EW

Update on the Economy

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

One source of leather I’ve never seen mentioned is buying the rare (not exotic) medium armor with dungeon tokens and salvaging them. I do PvP dungeon reward tracks and buy medium rare armor once a month to get leather.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Update on the Economy

Seera.5916

SW Chest farm? Open up all bags/purses w/ your level 80, and salvage everything instead of selling it.

~EW

I’ve done that in the past (not recently) and mostly got light armor. I tend to farm on my Elementalist, though, as that’s the class I have the most fun on. ANet thinks I want primarily things that my Elementalist will use. I wish I could turn that function off. I do understand why it’s in place for players leveling up characters. I tended to get silk or gossamer more often than thick leather or even hardened leather.

And I do salvage everything possible instead of just selling it. I just wish so many dropped gear items didn’t come with sigils or runes.

Update on the Economy

Ayrilana.1396

Any mob that drops the upper tier salvage items.

Update on the Economy

Seera.5916

Any mob that drops the upper tier salvage items.

Yea, I’ve killed those. Still not enough leather to make 150 in 3-4 hours.

Update on the Economy

Seera.5916

Fixing the forum bug