Updates about Wintersday

Updates about Wintersday

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

We’ve noticed that you’ve had a few questions about Wintersday, and specifically about the Wintersday Presence Collection. We’d like to share the following info with you:

• Wintersday is scheduled to end on January 12, 2016.
  • We will be leaving the Festive Imbiber achievement active throughout the year.
  • We will not be able to change the text that indicates it’s a Wintersday-only achievement, but you will be able to continue to imbide (in moderation, please – think of the dolyak children!) to gain that achievement.

Enjoy the festival and we’ll see you in the game!

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Updates about Wintersday

Posted by: Qelris.6901

Qelris.6901

Thank you for these informations!

I’m only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Updates about Wintersday

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Previous

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

Thank you for these informations!

My pleasure.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Updates about Wintersday

Posted by: Ariurotl.3718

Ariurotl.3718

Oh wow, that’s a long holiday. Good to know I won’t have to rush some of those achievements (and I’m not talking about the Imbiber, I’m not crazy enough to go after that one). Thanks for the info!

Updates about Wintersday

Posted by: Sarevok.2638

Sarevok.2638

How can we get drinks throughout the year?

Updates about Wintersday

Posted by: Aveneo.2068

Aveneo.2068

Leaving the Festive Imbiber active is cool and everything (and thanks for the update), but the drinks that are required for the achievement will still be gone after the event so it kinda defeats the purpose… And no, the single box a day from the christmas tree in our home instance is not a viable method imo.

So unless you guys add some cooking recipes to a vendor so we could brew our own festive drinks and such or lower the requirement to something around 2500 it would be rather pointless to leave an achievement active that can’t be completed anyway (unless we fork over cash-for-gold on a finite TP supply).

Just my opinion on the matter. Sorry if it sounds a bit harsh.

Valiant Aislinn – Aveneo Lightbringer – Shalene Amuriel – Dread Cathulu
Fojja – Vyxxi – Nymmra – Mymmra – Champion of Dwayna .. and more

Highly Over Powered Explorers [HOPE] – Desolation EU

Updates about Wintersday

Posted by: Wasabi Kitty.8247

Wasabi Kitty.8247

Buy the drinks/bags off the TP.

Anet make Rev great again.

Updates about Wintersday

Posted by: Arya.9021

Arya.9021

Why didn’t you wait just a little bit longer, Gaile?! People sold all of their mats to buy stuff for the shoulders, so prices were way down. Now they’re going back up so fast Q.Q Plus, The achievement reconfigure means nothing if you won’t make the ciders craft-able. Still gonna be kitten loads of money after they stop dropping for wintersday.

Arya- Zero Quality [zQ]-Guild Wars
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but you abuse the privilege.

Updates about Wintersday

Posted by: PyrateSilly.4710

PyrateSilly.4710

There is the Wintersday tree from the one achievement that gives out a present a day that has been updated with the rewards from this year —- drinks and all.

Updates about Wintersday

Posted by: Shack.9081

Shack.9081

Leaving the Festive Imbiber active is cool and everything (and thanks for the update), but the drinks that are required for the achievement will still be gone after the event so it kinda defeats the purpose… And no, the single box a day from the christmas tree in our home instance is not a viable method imo.

So unless you guys add some cooking recipes to a vendor so we could brew our own festive drinks and such or lower the requirement to something around 2500 it would be rather pointless to leave an achievement active that can’t be completed anyway (unless we fork over cash-for-gold on a finite TP supply).

Just my opinion on the matter. Sorry if it sounds a bit harsh.

Wait until next year or maybe even the next holiday will help move that ach. The achievement in the original took a while too.

Updates about Wintersday

Posted by: soaringleaper.7905

soaringleaper.7905

Quite easily! If you do the Grawnk “quest”, you get a Wintersday tree in your home instance which you can harvest every day for a free present! You can also buy them on the trading post throughout the year, but the tree does give a slow, but stead supply of presents.

Updates about Wintersday

Posted by: RustyMech.9876

RustyMech.9876

Thank you for the update, I’ll continue with my festive binge.

Updates about Wintersday

Posted by: Lindelle.3718

Lindelle.3718

Good change, thank you team!

Lindelle Ulfsvitr – Norn Ranger
“Walk with the pack. In the eyes of Wolf, we are all brothers and sisters.”

Updates about Wintersday

Posted by: Thorfinnr Sleggja.1209

Thorfinnr Sleggja.1209

Thanks Gaile.

This makes it so much less of a pressure issue…if I have to finish up next year…so be it. Just don’t close the achievement next year without letting us know.

I do because I can
I can because I want to
I want to because you said I couldn’t

Updates about Wintersday

Posted by: MaikBey.4506

MaikBey.4506

price drop incoming

Updates about Wintersday

Posted by: Mortifer.2946

Mortifer.2946

and how are we supposed to get those beverages during the year? TP? that is not the proper fix. The proper fix is changing it to 1000.

Updates about Wintersday

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

y´all just a bunch of alcoholics, wondering where next years booze is coming from.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Updates about Wintersday

Posted by: Dejavu.2349

Dejavu.2349

There is the Wintersday tree from the one achievement that gives out a present a day that has been updated with the rewards from this year —- drinks and all.

And I solute anyone for whom that tree is their only drink-acquisition method… in 30 years, they’ll have their shoulders!

After complaining in every Wintersday thread in the forums (4 of which were combined) about the sheer anti-Christmas feeling having to grind 10k drinks was giving me, I just sucked it up after grinding for a couple thousand drinks and bought the rest of mine whenever they were below a particular threshold on the AH. And I’ll tell you with 100% certainty… reloading AH prices was more fun than the jumping puzzle and the bells (after 10 hours, anyway – I actually liked the bells for the first 10 hours).

Both my husband and I are broke now, but hey! I have time to like… make dinner and sleep, so… worth it. And I don’t have to rely on my home instance tree for presents. Speaking of that tree… It’s too pretty to be hidden in a tiny little building!

Updates about Wintersday

Posted by: Devildoc.6721

Devildoc.6721

well, this is better than what initially was assumed, that after wintersday the achievement would be archived and unattainable

This means that next christmas (and the christmas after etc) you can continue to work on it.

Zapp – 80 Asura Afromancer

Updates about Wintersday

Wanze.8410

Speaking of that tree… It’s too pretty to be hidden in a tiny little building!

Just go into another racial home instance.

Updates about Wintersday

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

I suggest the charr one. They don’t hide it in a building.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Updates about Wintersday

Posted by: Sarevok.2638

Sarevok.2638

Even with the tree, 10k is WAY too much, 5k would have been far more reasonable.

Updates about Wintersday

Posted by: Siobhan.5273

Siobhan.5273

We’ve noticed that you’ve had a few questions about Wintersday, and specifically about the Wintersday Presence Collection. We’d like to share the following info with you:

• We will be leaving the Festive Imbiber achievement active throughout the year.
  • We will not be able to change the text that indicates it’s a Wintersday-only achievement, but you will be able to continue to imbide (in moderation, please – think of the dolyak children!) to gain that achievement.

Thanks for the info, and /cheer for dolyaks!

No news since October 28th 2014. Question asked straight up! 473 times. 647 days and thread locked..

Updates about Wintersday

Posted by: Aidenwolf.5964

Aidenwolf.5964

Doesn’t change the fact this was meant to be bought not earned. Post Winter’s Day the gifts won’t drop so it’s buy buy buy (x10,000).

Buy To Play Guild Wars 2 2012-2015 – RIP
Unlucky since launch, RNG isn’t random
PugLife SoloQ

Updates about Wintersday

Posted by: Mustafa.7684

Mustafa.7684

How can we obtain the drinks without buying them from the tp after the event ends. At the moment no other drinks work other then the one from the boxes. Now if the supply drop then its going to near impossible and only the rich will be able to get it.

Do you have any plan on making sure we can obtain with spending a lot of money on the tp.

PS. the daily box you get wont be sufficient

Updates about Wintersday

Posted by: PetStain.8924

PetStain.8924

Gaile, can you clarify if we can continue this achievement where we left off next Wintersday or if we simply have until next Wintersday to complete it?

Updates about Wintersday

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I suggest the charr one. They don’t hide it in a building.

/giggles
No, no they don’t. Behind one, though …

Updates about Wintersday

Posted by: DragonflyDusk.6582

DragonflyDusk.6582

I thought the amount of drinks was ridiculously high, but I guess it doesn’t matter because the odds of me actually getting through the jumping puzzle once is looking slimmer than slim. I liked that in previous years we could all avoid at least one activity we were bad at or didn’t enjoy and still receive the meta-reward. What happened this year? And quite frankly, why isn’t the shoulder skin a meta-completion reward?

I never thought I would link Guild Wars holidays with stress, but I certainly do now. Between the beer grind and jumping puzzle I’m 3 days in and already thinking about just saying “screw it,” and I love that shoulder piece. The holidays are usually when I dive head first in and willingly spend hours and hours in game…. but this year I’m already wanting to quit the events because I’m just not feeling it anymore. What was once a welcoming festival feels like a massive chore. Back in the day you used to give us holiday hats for completing silly and rather low-key holiday events. What happened to that celebratory spirit?

And the lack of Toypocalypse Parties… again. Seriously.

While the bulk of this post is negative, I will say that I DO love the new consumable items.

And last thought, is the achievement going to retain it’s progressive next year? Or will it cease to exist when Wintersday 2016 comes around?

[ I survived the 2015 April Fools Forum Meltdown ]

Updates about Wintersday

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

10,000 drinks over 52 weeks is still ridiculous, it’s almost 200 a week. Seriously, how is this any better when the drinks themselves aren’t available (in any appreciable quantity) during the year?

I’d like to ask who exactly considers this kind of “achievement” fun? How did this ever get into the game? Basic maths would tell you this was unachievable through game play, this is just another gold sink.

Updates about Wintersday

Posted by: Aidenwolf.5964

Aidenwolf.5964

10,000 drinks over 52 weeks is still ridiculous, it’s almost 200 a week. Seriously, how is this any better when the drinks themselves aren’t available (in any appreciable quantity) during the year?

I’d like to ask who exactly considers this kind of “achievement” fun? How did this ever get into the game? Basic maths would tell you this was unachievable through game play, this is just another gold sink.

QFT. Massive gold sink on Winter’s Day just like the Nightfury debacle. This is GW2 Post Free to Play.

Buy To Play Guild Wars 2 2012-2015 – RIP
Unlucky since launch, RNG isn’t random
PugLife SoloQ

Updates about Wintersday

Posted by: yurdun.2501

yurdun.2501

Does this mean we will still be able to get Winters Presence after wintersday? or is only the (Festive Imbibier) achievement still available? I really don’t care for the achievement I just want Winters Presence Skin…

Updates about Wintersday

Posted by: Keldash.3602

Keldash.3602

It doesn’t matter this is what arena net wants, they want to remove the gold from the rich people and put it into the TP so gold can cycle. THIS is what they want. If they cared about the player base they would lower it so not only could everyone get it within a reasonable amount of time but actually enjoy working at it, of course this excludes people who love to punish themselves with grinding. However 10k will remain because this is what they want. (making it all year around is irrelevant considering the drinks will double in price as soon as wintersday ends.)

A good player knows his limitations, a great player figures a way around them. – Cell (DBZ)

Updates about Wintersday

Keldash.3602

Does this mean we will still be able to get Winters Presence after wintersday? or is only the achievement still available? I really don’t care for the achievement I just want Winters Presence Skin…

The only achievement you can do after wintersday is over is the drinks, but yes as long as you finished everything else you can continue farming drinks all year round until you get your 10k.

A good player knows his limitations, a great player figures a way around them. – Cell (DBZ)

Updates about Wintersday

Aveneo.2068

Does this mean we will still be able to get Winters Presence after wintersday? or is only the achievement still available? I really don’t care for the achievement I just want Winters Presence Skin…

The only achievement you can do after wintersday is over is the drinks, but yes as long as you finished everything else you can continue farming drinks all year round until you get your 10k.

And how do you intend to ‘continue farming drinks’ when the presents that contain said drinks are going to be removed after January 12th? Continue farming 1 box a day? That should get you to 10k in about 25 years.

Updates about Wintersday

yurdun.2501

And if you get the 10k you will also get Winters Presence skin?

Updates about Wintersday

Keldash.3602

And if you get the 10k you will also get Winters Presence skin?

Yes, you will receive it.

Updates about Wintersday

Keldash.3602

And how do you intend to ‘continue farming drinks’ when the presents that contain said drinks are going to be removed after January 12th? Continue farming 1 box a day? That should get you to 10k in about 25 years.

You buy them off of the trading post. Unless arena net decide’s to listen to there playerbase about this matter this is how it’s going to be. Either buy them or you get nothing. lol *Shrugs it’s what Gw2 has come down too.

Updates about Wintersday

Posted by: Thanathos.2063

Thanathos.2063

Does this mean we will still be able to get Winters Presence after wintersday? or is only the (Festive Imbibier) achievement still available? I really don’t care for the achievement I just want Winters Presence Skin…

Yes, since you get Winters Presence through a Rare Collection achievement, not through a Festival achievement. Just make sure that you get the necessary things that you can only get via Festival achievements (Jormag, JP, snowball PvP, music making) before they vanish.

Updates about Wintersday

Posted by: pinkliz.8275

pinkliz.8275

Sarevok.2638:
Quite easily! If you do the Grawnk “quest”, you get a Wintersday tree in your home instance which you can harvest every day for a free present! You can also buy them on the trading post throughout the year, but the tree does give a slow, but stead supply of presents.

That’s great, so to get this achievement will only take 34 years

Updates about Wintersday

Posted by: Mal.1670

Mal.1670

Thanks for sharing this information. But when you say “We will not be able to change the text that indicates it’s a Wintersday-only achievement,” does that mean you physically cannot or it would take too much effort to find the code to edit that? Well, there are better things you guys are probably working on anyway :P

Sarevok.2638:

Are you… completely ignorant to the existence of the Trading Post? And the fact that you can start opening presents with drinks inside NOW? Seriously dude?? Lol…

Updates about Wintersday

Wanze.8410

Just waiting for Anet to introduce a mytic forge recipe that lets you forge the old wintersday tonics into the reindeer, snowman and festive golem tonics and wintersday beverages.

My vault is ready.

Updates about Wintersday

Posted by: pinkliz.8275

pinkliz.8275

Mal.1670

Are you… completely ignorant to the existence of the Trading Post? And the fact that you can start opening presents with drinks inside NOW? Seriously dude?? Lol…

No, just basic economy supply and demand.

Lets say for example that at the end of the event I manage to have reached 8905 drinks. I need 1095 more. That would take me 3 years to make alone. It would take 3 players 1 year to make. It would take 6 players 6 months to make. But out of those 6 players, only 2 want to sell their drinks to me. 2 of the other players also want to buy from those 2 players, and the last player doesn’t want to buy. One of the purchasing players has more gold than me, so he can afford a higher price for the gifts for sale. I miss out that day. The next day, I have the most gold, so I buy the extra gifts. The third day, the first buying player can afford more again because third guy has been slacking. And after that, he’s bought some gems to cash in, so he puts in a higher order for a long term.

Me and the other guys are still going to take a long time, because in a community of this scale there is always going to be someone who will be able to afford to buy out everyone else.

I do not have the vocab to explain well what I mean sorry but maybe someone else can help.

But even if you get really really really close to the 10k mark, even being off by 300 is almost a year more and you might as well just wait to see if they bring the achievement back in Christmas 2016.

(edited by pinkliz.8275)

Updates about Wintersday

Posted by: CIndeR.3479

CIndeR.3479

Awesome, thanks so much! I’m glad the holiday is lasting so long, I was worried my Christmas vacation visiting family (no computer) was going to cut into my Wintersday time

Updates about Wintersday

Posted by: psizone.8437

psizone.8437

Hey Gaile, is it possible that you guys can keep the Karma merchant available year round to exchange Karma for gifts in order to have this as a casual long term goal?

Brotherhood of Blub [blub]

Updates about Wintersday

Posted by: Veteran Oakheart.4035

Veteran Oakheart.4035

Spirit Spammer Joe – Legend x2 (S1) ~ GW 2005-2007 best gaming experience~
www.youtube.com/user/stephnbf
www.twitch.tv/veteran_oakheart

Updates about Wintersday

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Thank you so much for this update, Gaile! I can ease off a little on the minigame grinding then. XD

Updates about Wintersday

yurdun.2501

Hey Gaile, is it possible that you guys can keep the Karma merchant available year round to exchange Karma for gifts in order to have this as a casual long term goal?

Where is this Karma merchant?

Updates about Wintersday

Posted by: Warlock.7136

Warlock.7136

hi. thank you for the information. I have one question that I didn’t see an answer to. if the imbiber(spelling?) achievement is going to be left up all year, will you still be able to get the collection item from it’s completion for Winter’s presence after the wintersday festival ends? thank you ahead of time for your time answering this.

Updates about Wintersday

Aveneo.2068

Yeah, if the number of drinks was 1000 for the token and 10000 for the title, I’d be perfectly fine with it. But 10k drinks to complete a collection for a seasonal event during Christmas+NewYear where the required items are only available for 4 weeks is a little ridiculous.

Sitting at 9/10 for the collection and I doubt I’ll ever get to finish it because of that 10k requirement.

Merry Christmas. Now give us your money.

Updates about Wintersday

Posted by: Kamui.3150

Kamui.3150

Hi Gaile, thanks for this info, it’s a huge relief for me and anyone else trying to complete the Winter’s Presence shoulders. However, I do have a few questions that I would like to ask, and hope you have the answers to.

• Will the candy cane achievement be given similar treatment? It’s not required for the shoulders, but it’s still one that is on a similar progression scale as Festive Imbiber.
  • Will FI and the candy cane achievement progress the Wintersday meta after Jan 12? This is mainly a curiosity thing, am interested to know if the meta achieve will be locked after Jan 12 is over, even though anyone that really wants the meta won’t need it.
  • Will FI and the candy cane achievement’s progress carry to next Wintersday, similar to the Grawnk ones did from last year? Just another curiosity deal.