Using an auto-clicker is against the rules?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Brando.3891

Brando.3891

Like the title said using an auto-clicker for example to open 250 box or using 250 luck just holding a button is against the rules?

Brando [SC] Snow Crows

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

The rule of thumb is: 1 click = 1 action

If your autoclicker is 1 click = 250 actions, that’s breaking the rules, thus a ban.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Brando.3891

hmm, so must be 1 click but i can set the button in a way that if i hold it it will repeat the click?

Brando [SC] Snow Crows

Posted by: Mikuchan.7261

Mikuchan.7261

If you hold it, you still just click once. It’s however a long click.

Smooth Penguin.5294

hmm, so must be 1 click but i can set the button in a way that if i hold it it will repeat the click?

1 click = 1 action. By holding down the button, and having the program auto repeat it, you are doing 1 click = 250 actions.

Brando.3891

oh i see, well i say that i strongly disagree with this. but yeah, rules are rules

Brando [SC] Snow Crows

Posted by: Deamhan.9538

Deamhan.9538

I don’t believe that this is against the rules. They just don’t want the game being played by macro. In other words, they don’t want people to perform skill chains with the push of a single button. What you are looking to do (open up bags, consume consumables, etc.) is harmless. Holding down the button for the duration or repeatedly clicking the button for the same duration, does it really matter? Does it give you an unfair advantage? I don’t think so.

Mikuchan.7261

I don’t believe that this is against the rules. They just don’t want the game being played by macro. In other words, they don’t want people to perform skill chains with the push of a single button. What you are looking to do (open up bags, consume consumables, etc.) is harmless. Holding down the button for the duration or repeatedly clicking the button for the same duration, does it really matter? Does it give you an unfair advantage? I don’t think so.

It may be harmless for you and me, but what matters is what ANet thinks about it and their policy is 1 click = 1 action.
If you want to go against that policy, feel free, your choice.
But don’t complain if ANet happens to not like it.

Smooth Penguin.5294

Gaile has confirmed that this is against the rules. If I fine her post, I’ll edit this comment.

Edit – see here: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/account/Policy-3rd-Party-Programs-Multi-Boxing-Macros/first#post1532762

(edited by Smooth Penguin.5294)

Posted by: Mark Katzbach

Mark Katzbach

Content Marketing Manager

Next

As has been mentioned in this thread, the policy is one click or keypress per action. Anything beyond that is a violation of our rules.

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

Bind your mousewheel to click and all you have to do is roll the wheel. I believe this is allowed.

Posted by: VincentDW.9376

VincentDW.9376

This does not mean you cannot change which button performs a certain action to make repeating that action physically quicker and easier, or bind multiple buttons to the same action. There are many ways to configure your keyboard/mouse that allow you to “click” very quickly while still triggering only one click per button activation.

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

If your autoclicker is 1 click = 250 actions, that’s breaking the rules, thus a ban.

The rule of thumb for autoclickers is not 1 click = 1 action, it is 1 click = 1 function, which is a big difference.

The 1 click = 1 action rule is related to macros, you are not allowed to program a macro that enables you to clickitteny once and your character performs multiple actions that dont have the same function.

Concerning auto clickers Gaile Said:

“You cannot program an “auto-clicker” macro that, for instance, opens chests while you play elsewhere.”

So if your autoclicker requires you to hold down your mouse pointer over a stack of lootbags of essences of luck and you cant perform anything else while doing it, its fine. Thats how i interpret it.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/account/Policy-3rd-Party-Programs-Multi-Boxing-Macros/first#post1532762

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Posted by: Lothirieth.3408

Lothirieth.3408

As has been mentioned in this thread, the policy is one click or keypress per action. Anything beyond that is a violation of our rules.

Maybe stop making so many double click items… such as all those bags we got in the LA event….

Posted by: Kartel.2561

Kartel.2561

So then on a related note …is there anything in the works for having an in-game ability to open 250 bags without having to click FIVE HUNDRED times?

Guild: Everlasting Sacred Path [ESP]
Server: Tarnished Coast

Wanze.8410

So can you elaborate on the difference between an action and a function, as Gaile used both terms in her sticky about macros?

Posted by: Deamhan.9538

Deamhan.9538

But define “action”.

As per the subject, if your intent is to consume an entire stack of luck or karma, and “one click” (read: hold the button down for the same length of time it otherwise would by repeatedly clicking) allows you to consume that stack, that is still a single action.

ac·tion
?akSH?n/
noun
noun: action

the fact or process of doing something, typically to achieve an aim.

a thing done; an act.

So “process of doing something”, applies to consuming the stack.
“A thing done”, also applies to consuming a stack.

Mikuchan.7261

So then on a related note …is there anything in the works for having an in-game ability to open 250 bags without having to click FIVE HUNDRED times?

Suggested it before, suggesting it again.
Right-click —> Use x… —> 5 / 10 / 50 / all

Posted by: khorne.8592

khorne.8592

A open all option would be great. I’ve already destroyed left click on one mouse.

Posted by: nowitsawn.1276

nowitsawn.1276

I use mousekeys myself (for those that don’t know, it’s a standard Windows function that turns NUM5 into right click when numlock is activated). You can also set it to double click with one press but I guess that’s against the rules (but since it’s just a native Windows function I kind of doubt they could even know). It’s still a lot of key mashing, but it’s at least slightly better.

But…

Bind your mousewheel to click and all you have to do is roll the wheel. I believe this is allowed.

…is pretty clever too.

I shot the seraph~
But I didn’t shoot the thackeray

Brando.3891

i’m still confused. My intent is only to open or buy stacks of stuff that require endless clicks, and i already broken a mouse and since i want to avoid to buy a mouse a month i hope there is some solution. I’m not interested in doing multiple function or using it while i’m afk or kitten like that.
“the policy is one click or keypress per action” i’m an idiot but i don’t get it, with holding a button to open 250 boxes i’m doing ONE action (open the boxes) or am i wrong? What is against the rules is to use, for example, with one click multiple skills or something like that, correct?

Brando [SC] Snow Crows

Posted by: Elrey.5472

Elrey.5472

Anet, you got the chance to deliver a way to not click 500 freaking times to open a full stack. Or click 250 times to buy all from vendors. Please address this problem in the incoming features patch… Don’t make people more angry for something that can be fixed.

ES Wiki Sysop. Vanquiser of the Marionette, Lover of the Aetherpath.
Aens / Ellantriel / Nao To Mori / Saelyth. Commander
Guias de Raids en español / Spanish raiding guides

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

A open all option would be great. I’ve already destroyed left click on one mouse.

^ This

Gaming mice aren’t cheap and it sucks to have one with a young body but the left click of an old man after a few months.

If we aren’t allowed to use rapid fire macros, then stop putting everything in stacks of randy bags that we have to button mash over and over. Those LA rescue bags were insane.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

I have 2 mice attached to my computer. Using the scroll wheel trick, you couldn’t tell the difference between a macro and 2 wheels at once.

Using more than 1 key per macro is a rule I’ve seen in every MMO, yet have never seen enforced, except in tournaments.

Posted by: KRUSSIDULL.6845

KRUSSIDULL.6845

Alt + Shift + Num Lock to activate num pad double klick with “+” isn’t ok?

Brute Swiftclaw | Far Shiverpeaks | Mistforged Heroes: tinyurl.com/gw2hero

Posted by: Blackarps.1974

Blackarps.1974

Definitely. Its been mentioned dozens of times too. Even a confirmation box would be nice and also allowing us to choose how many we open (kind of like the crafting system. Craft 1 or set a number to craft).

As of right now, all my blue essences of luck stacks in my inventory until I can get to a bank. I make 1-2 full stacks before I go and craft. It saves on time and clicking.

Maguuma Guardian

Smooth Penguin.5294

The rule of thumb for autoclickers is not 1 click = 1 action, it is 1 click = 1 function, which is a big difference.

The 1 click = 1 action rule is related to macros, you are not allowed to program a macro that enables you to clickitteny once and your character performs multiple actions that dont have the same function.

“You cannot program an “auto-clicker” macro that, for instance, opens chests while you play elsewhere.”

So if your autoclicker requires you to hold down your mouse pointer over a stack of lootbags of essences of luck and you cant perform anything else while doing it, its fine. Thats how i interpret it.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/account/Policy-3rd-Party-Programs-Multi-Boxing-Macros/first#post1532762

But Gaile does go on to elaborate that she means " it must require one keystroke per action". If a function allows an action to be done multiple times with 1 click, that would be breaking the rules.

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

But Gaile does go on to elaborate that she means " it must require one keystroke per action". If a function allows an action to be done multiple times with 1 click, that would be breaking the rules.

They have implied several times that even basic “rapid fire” macros, ones that click dozens of times per stroke, count as “not allowed”.

One could assume this applies to rapid fire macros as well though use of such may set off bot flags anyway.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

to add to this, logitech makes (made?) a cheap, tiny mouse that has the option to switch the scroll wheel from clicky clicky to free spinning… could be useful if you bind left click to scroll wheel. you might be able to achieve the same effect with a trackball mouse if you rebind left click to like… trackball movement. and seriously up the sensitivity. or something.

ball bearings are your friend!

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

Posted by: Renoaku.4189

Renoaku.4189

Which is true I am sure, and I don’t want to encourage others to break the TOS/Rules, and I do not support botting, hacking, or cheating I always report such just so you know before I say this.

I have a Logitech G19 keyboard, which has an auto clicker, as well as other Macro Programs, and Logitech Mouse that can auto click, and repeat all on its own If I want.

. Now I am not going to advise players do this as its against the rules so do so at your own risk, but holding down my key on my keyboard would go thorugh 700+ stacks of items, or possibly buy a lot of items in Guild Wars 2, I have done it before never got banned, chances of being banned for using an auto clicker or hardware based key-board to auto click a stack of items is unlikely.

Now if Arena-net really cared they would likely put in Anti-Macro Software, and Anti Cheat, the problem with doing such however is its going to kitten off a lot of customers because adding programs like Game-Guard just causes all kinds of Operating System issues, random program crashes and such but its their call if they want to do this or not.

You could of course do like me and connect two Mice to your computer spam the left click buttons like crazy, or fix a Game-pad to emulate mouse clicks with two triggers, but even then its the same difference.

In general I don’t care about players using lots of stacks at once of an Item, But I catch Automated Game-Play, botting, or hacking im reporting it.

IMO Arena Net should just put in a (Buy Stack Option) (sell stack option) ( Use X amount Option) to solve the problem of auto clickers.

Posted by: dietzero.3514

dietzero.3514

Then add an open/buy/consume all button already!

Posted by: Adamantium.3682

Adamantium.3682

BRILLIANT!

[TNO] Gizmo Gigawatt (Engineer)
Jade Quarry

Posted by: Majuub.6215

Majuub.6215

Just a bit of a note, I know many people who blatantly clicked through tens of thousands of snowman summoners and various other party consumables in GW1 with an auto-clicker and no action was ever taken.

Ethereal Guardians [EG]
Sea of Sorrows

Wanze.8410

But why would Gaile say that an autoclicker that enables you do play elsewhere, while opening chests, is not allowed? That implies, that you can use an autoclicker, as long as it doesnt enable you to play elsewhere. Otherwise, she would just have said, its not allowed to use an autoclicker but she made that destinction.
An autoclicker, that just clicks once, is not an autoclicker, its a key binding.

Posted by: Andrius.8254

Andrius.8254

And what about a key that, WHILE YOU KEEP IT PRESSED, automatically clicks each 0.75 seconds? I really want to do a key like that with my keyboard´s macro system, but everytime I ask to anet in the forum if it’s legal they don’t answer. I’ts unacceptable that we have to break the left-click button of our mouse for a game.

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

And what about a key that, WHILE YOU KEEP IT PRESSED, automatically clicks each 0.75 seconds? I really want to do a key like that with my keyboard´s macro system, but everytime I ask to anet in the forum if it’s legal they don’t answer. I’ts unacceptable that we have to break the left-click button of our mouse for a game.

I’m on my 3rd mouse because of that crap.

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

Posted by: Realist.5812

Realist.5812

Anet will NEVER ban you for using an auto clicker to open a stack of RNG loot bags/chests etc.

Why?
- Because they’ve done nothing to harm the game
- Anet loses a customer / income
- They have to refund the player their box purchase + gem purchases
- Looks bad for their company, since they don’t have an “open all” feature.
- Looks bad for their company, since they’d be promoting RSI.

There are hackers (flying/invisible/teleport etc) that exist in PvE and WvW who still play and hack over a year since they were publicly named and shamed, if Anet bans someone for opening LOOT, they’ve got a public relations nightmare on their hands, no company wants one of these.

Imagine if farting was punishable by death, that’s what this would roughly equate to.

Anyway, to be on the safe side, just bind mouse wheel as your clicks and you’re good to go.

/end thread

ALL IS VAIN.
PvP modes are the “endgame” in every MMO.
Stop failing at PvE, start fixing PvP/WvW. Thank you.

(edited by Realist.5812)

Posted by: KeyOrion.9506

KeyOrion.9506

Yah, it’s like some kitten that would purchase 4 accounts, and linked three separate toons from three separate accounts, to the 4th toon on the fourth account by use of a macro, and then run the 4th toon around. The sucker would go around attacking 1 target, but the use of the macro would make them all attack the same target.

Hence why it looks really really weird sometimes when I see a very tight knit group, doing some very strange movement. As in Formation Cadence movement that you only see in military service. Left face, march all at the same time, right face double time all at the same time. That sort of thing gets NOTICED big time.

When I’m cute, I can be cute. But when I’m mean, I can be very very mean.

Posted by: Shinzan.2908

Shinzan.2908

An actual solution would be for Anet to add an Use Whole Stack command to the right click menu.

Anet will NEVER ban you for using an auto clicker to open a stack of RNG loot bags/chests etc.

Anecdotal evidence only, but some people have been banned for botting when all they did was use it for the above.

(edited by Shinzan.2908)

Posted by: RoyalPredator.9163

RoyalPredator.9163

Opening stacks are mouse killers… What we should ask is why there is no “Open ALL” option on these…

Game Designer || iREVOLUTION.Design \\
“A man chooses; a slave obeys.” | “Want HardMode? Play Ranger!”

Posted by: rhodoc.2381

rhodoc.2381

Cmon guys stop going crazy. Auto-clickers just send click actions repeteadly. All macros send required click/button to perform a series of sets. You have to hack the client or memory to send 1+ action with 1button/click.

I’m using auto-clicker to open stacks for a long time fyi. No way i will open 500+ stack manually juz of poor implementation. Hi to right click use all

[VcY] Velocity – Gargamell

Posted by: Evalia.7103

Evalia.7103

I’ll be a nitpick and say that basic autoattacking is against the rules because it still only takes a single button press and your character will auto-attack for however long it takes to kill a target.
It’s kind of similar in design to opening all bags with a single click. The only difference is that it could be implemented with a button “open all” in a right-click menu that is on the items, making the life of many players more comfortable and putting a stop to this question once and for all.

Posted by: Etien.4601

Etien.4601

Do you have any idea how much mouses are gone into oblivion? I had SteelSeries WoW mouse, GW2 mouse and 2 more all gone because of exceeding clicking. Do something about this already.

Drop Acid Not Bombs (Richie Hawtin)

Posted by: Ixillius.5768

Ixillius.5768

Opening stacks are mouse killers… What we should ask is why there is no “Open ALL” option on these…

It’s definitely something that would help me as well. I cant click a whole stack due to health reasons so I’ve bound the mouse key to multiple keys on my left hand. It’s however very awkward and I’d really appreciate an option like this.

Posted by: uberlurker.6485

uberlurker.6485

One click or keypress per action, I think I get that.
By default keyboard keys does auto repeat when held…
It’s right there in the Windows keyboard control panel and around since ages.
If somehow one could bind an unused key to a click, it’ll extend his mouse’s life span.

Posted by: hellsmachine.4085

hellsmachine.4085

I’ll make sure I spam 1 from now on instead of letting it auto attack for me. As clearly it is against the rules.

Posted by: Wethospu.6437

Wethospu.6437

GW2 has no idea where the clicks are coming from. I could bind every button on my keyboard to “click” and then roll my face on it to send high amount of “click” actions to the client, perfectly legit.

Similarly I can create a program/script/macro to send high amount of “click” actions with random intervals and it would look exactly same as above.

Posted by: Treebeard The Swift.9620

Treebeard The Swift.9620

Thats all well and cool but my mouse has a little button on it marked 2x that automatically does 2 clicks. Bannable?

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

I just wish we would get straight forward answers instead of cryptic replies by them.

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

Posted by: Omaris Mortuus Est.2738

Omaris Mortuus Est.2738

Let’s clear this up once and for all:

You are allowed macros but you are not allowed macros…..

It’s more Anet madness, I actually sent a support ticket asking this when I was opening 5000 bags, I read the terms and asked what if I time it so the macro presses at the average rate of a person, around 10 clicks a second max. The reply I got was check the terms.
Basically Anet are saying you can use macros, but you yourself have to think about whether or not it breaks the terms. Now if you ask me if you set it to 5-10 clicks a second that’s not an advantage. When opening bags you cant really run around and do something else. But as seen above some people say such a macro isnt allowed.
So users have conflicting views, and the mods wont give you a real answer, I guess the only way to find out is use a macro and if you get banned then that macro was obviously not allowed :P

But by definition a macro is the ability to do several things with one click. Yet Anet say you can use macros as long as they only do one thing, which is a keybind! Which means macros are not allowed at all!
Get even more confusing when Anet endorse the official Steel Series GW2 keyboard which allows macros!

Macros, you can use them as long as they arent macros.
Remember to buy the officially endorsed GW2 Steel Series Keyboard, it supports macros!
WvW, we only care if it affects the servers we play on.