Using autohotkey for playing instruments

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: GlowSticks.9734

GlowSticks.9734

I would only only use a faster click macro for like… Clicking items.. Who wants to sit through and click 250 exotic lucks _ ( I’m max MF now, so I don’t need to worry about that anymore.. ) I have carpel tunnel.. I don’t want to sit through the clicking… Create an option to “Click All / Use All” … if you right click… please thanks

Posted by: ExTribble.7108

ExTribble.7108

Requiring a 1:1 key pressing is not a difficult concept to understand. If you press “z” and it goes pressing all those numpad numbers, it’s NOT allowed. Doesn’t matter what the purpose in the game is, it needs to be 1:1. If you use something (like a mod) that complies with the 1:1 thing but gives you an unfair advantage over other players (like FoV hacks, undermap hacks, etc.), it’s NOT allowed.

These restrictions/limits/whatchamacallits don’t all need to be met for you to be justifiably banned. Call me an elitist jerk or whatever, but I don’t understand how people can find these simple rules so difficult to understand.

In regards to the scrollwheel, rolling the scrollwheel one notch is the equivalent of one keypress. If you match that with a left click, I can say with 99% certainty that it’d be allowed since it’s not violating the 1:1 keypress rule. If you set each scrollwheel tick to be a double click, now you’re breaking the rule again. Although it would be nice to have an official response to this scrollwheel question since it is in a gray area, I’d still say it’s safe to use since there’s no discernible violation to the rules.

“Any lump can hack bad guys to death, but it takes skill
and style to turn them into craters and dust.” -Tonn
Number-crunching for ecto salvages – periodically updated

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

It was my understanding that they were going to use the text based database style system for musical notes called abc sync for this function. It allows for whole compositions to be loaded into the game and syncronized play with other players with other instruments. I’ve not seen it listed on the patch notes yet.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Posted by: Sariel V.7024

Sariel V.7024

So, in Bell Choir, those that use a macro/script to hit the keys in a certain order and time (it is a song) won’t have an advantage?

With the ridiculous lag during Wintersday? Trust me, even automation won’t save you unless you’re playing nextdoor to Arenanet.

Posted by: Sariel V.7024

Sariel V.7024

I’d love to see how you enforce this. Many thieves bind multiple buttons

Well i do hope anet can see this and do something about it.. These days eles are super fast! Blasting multiple skills at once for big bursts attacks. And i dont say they all use it but some does because they are waaay to fast for pressing those skills at once.

This is easier than you think. Remap your burst sequence to QWERTY and stroke the keys. Most/all of these burst skills are instantaneous.

Posted by: Sirius.4510

Sirius.4510

“Is this behavior/tool allowed?”: relatively easy question to answer
“What are you doing with next LS?”: probably not easy question to answer meaningfully without violating NDA

I’m guessing that has something to do with it. If answers are not readily forthcoming, it’s because they don’t have them.

Just a random PuGgle.
Stormbluff Isle ( http://www.stormbluffisle.com )

Posted by: PowerCat.5738

PowerCat.5738

Combat Mode does much, much more than 1:1 keypress and is allowed to be used.

Posted by: Draygo.9473

Draygo.9473

According to the CM faq it does only 1:1 keypresses. Also Anet didn’t officially approve CM in any capacity.

The following is disallowed:
Using one keypress to play an entire song or part of a song

The following would be allowed:
Pressing a key over and over that would do a single action each time you press it.
First time you press it – it sends 1
Second time you press it – it sends 2
etc. That way you can program in your song and tap the key out. I cant make any promises on the validity of this method but it should be acceptable under the 1:1 policy.

Delarme
Apathy Inc [Ai]

Posted by: AnAspieKitten.5732

AnAspieKitten.5732

Yup, logically speaking mousewheel bind I’m talking about is 1:1. But since I’m pretty sure it’s a lifetime ban with no warning and no way to even try to talk with them after if something goes wrong and they’re angry, I’d prefer it not to be a grey area, since they give contradictory responses themselves sometimes.

Dear Santa,
For christmas I’d like to get a crossbow for my characters.
With love, a cute kitty.

Posted by: Mark Katzbach

Previous

Mark Katzbach

Content Marketing Manager

ArenaNet does not and has not ever reviewed or approved any third-party applications. Combat Mode, as are all other third-party tools, is very much “use at your own risk”.

And to further clarify my reply from earlier, from the Guild Wars 2 Rules of Conduct (emphasis mine):

20. You may not use any third-party program (such as a “bot”) in order to automate gameplay functions, including playing, chatting, interacting, or gathering gold or items within Guild Wars 2. You may not assist, relay, or store gold or items for other players who are using these processes.

Using AutoHotKey to map multiple key functions to a single keypress, regardless of the intended use or outcome, is a violation of the above rule.

Posted by: Purple Miku.7032

Purple Miku.7032

Come to think of it I actually haven’t seen any post or image of anyone working at Arenanet claiming Combat Mode to be OK to use…

Thankfully I don’t use it.

PowerCat.5738

My apologies, you’re right. It was not specifically authorized, and I shouldn’t have claimed so.

Posted by: Mank.2183

Mank.2183

Who said something about developer ???
You don’t need to be a developer to answer questions about the direction the game is heading ?
?
Do you really think Mark has no idea what’s going on ?
????
Is he coming to the office every morning and is told “mark don’t ask any questions about GW2, it’s not your job. You just talk with the comunity about anything but GW”

The developers probably wouldn’t tell CS or forum staff exactly what they’re working on until it’s finalised as well, just like they don’t tell us. If development plans change what’s the point? Then the reps would be running off old info and could potentially spread misinformation. My guess is once forums staff know what’s happening, they’re getting ready to or are already releasing the news to the players as well.

Posted by: zMajc.4659

zMajc.4659

ArenaNet does not and has not ever reviewed or approved any third-party applications. Combat Mode, as are all other third-party tools, is very much “use at your own risk”.

And to further clarify my reply from earlier, from the Guild Wars 2 Rules of Conduct (emphasis mine):

20. You may not use any third-party program (such as a “bot”) in order to automate gameplay functions, including playing, chatting, interacting, or gathering gold or items within Guild Wars 2. You may not assist, relay, or store gold or items for other players who are using these processes.

Using AutoHotKey to map multiple key functions to a single keypress, regardless of the intended use or outcome, is a violation of the above rule.

That means that users who play the game using the official The SteelSeries Guild Wars 2 Gaming Keyboard violate your own rules.

Or is in game advantage only reserved for players who pay you for the privilige?

Official description from your page:
The Guild Wars 2 Gaming Keyboard features a visually stunning design, vibrant red illumination, raised macro keys, a fully customizable keyboard, and more.

Posted by: Mckeone.9804

Mckeone.9804

I think the practical question is, are they really going to ban you for instrument scripting? They may keep the policy broad to ensure they have discretion, but I suspect they are going to distinguish:

(a) someone who is at the computer, actively playing the game, responsive to the environment, and not using a macro to gain an unfair advantage (examples: scripted music, buying karma drinks for thirst quencher / opening 10,000 dragon coffers)

from

(b) someone auto farming/looting an event, using macros to manage multiple characters at the same time, or botting the TP.

PowerCat.5738

Guys, this subject has been beaten to death.

The whole keyboard argument was made at release and you can find the hundreds of threads with mod posts in a google search:

https://www.google.ca/#q=gw2+macro+keyboard+site:forum-en.guildwars2.com

The answer has always been the same, one button, one key press.

Can we lock this topic already?

What had to be said has been said, now people are just trying to nit pick every little thing to find loopholes.

One key press, one button. That’s the only thing allowed.

Posted by: Olba.5376

Olba.5376

That means that users who play the game using the official The SteelSeries Guild Wars 2 Gaming Keyboard violate your own rules.

Or is in game advantage only reserved for players who pay you for the privilige?

The Guild Wars 2 Gaming Keyboard features a visually stunning design, vibrant red illumination, raised macro keys, a fully customizable keyboard, and more.

Ok, I’m a bit bored so I’ll just tear this one apart.

First up, the macros. Macros do not require that they break the “one keypress = 1 action” rule. In fact, the most common use for macro keys on anything is remapping keys that are in otherwise difficult positions.

Second up, the keyboard itself. In case you don’t know SteelSeries, they frequently partner with various games and make special editions of their normal wares. In this case, the Guild Wars 2 Gaming Keyboard is just the SteelSeries Apex Gaming Keyboard. Thus, any feature that exists on it was not designed from the ground up for Guild Wars 2 specifically. Thus, the keyboard does not make the rules.

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

But can we bind mouse click to the mouse scroll? (thus be able to breeze through stacks of stuff, like luck). It’d still one to one action, so I think its acceptable, but I’d like to hear a dev answer before I go and do that (so that I can go through my 3 stack of luck essence without worrying about something happening to my hand/finger/mouse) .

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

Posted by: Firebaall.5127

Firebaall.5127

This has always been Anet’s position. It would be useful for those asking if you bothered to explain why instead of what’s been posted. ….in the interests of the GW community:

Why? Because many 3rd Party programs can be operated in a benign manner, but can also easily be used to violate the spirit of the TOS/rules of conduct. Official approval of any such program would provide a defense for a player that was caught using such a program against account action. aka: The “It’s ok, because Anet employee XxxxxX said I was allowed to use this program” defense.

While it might be true, that they don’t have the resources to evaluate all programs and addons for GW2, the fact that they won’t officially approve ANY of them supports the above comment.

Example? A macro that spams left click (for opening a stack of inventory items) or a macro that plays some semblance of a melody isn’t likely to get your account terminated, but they aren’t going to approve of the program because you can easily use it to automate game play that provides you an actual in-game advantage.

If they started banning players for wanting to use their instruments in a way that doesn’t sound like somebody strangled a kittened goose, then there’s going to be a problem.

Posted by: Mikuchan.7261

Mikuchan.7261

Have they mentioned anything else than that you’re not allowed to use more than 1 action per keypress?
You could technically program autohotkey to cycle through a series of different actions and do one of them for each time you press a key.
For example repeatedly pressing U in series could play a whole song, but you need to press once for each note.
Would be curious if that would be allowed or not.

Posted by: Olba.5376

Olba.5376

Have they mentioned anything else than that you’re not allowed to use more than 1 action per keypress?
You could technically program autohotkey to cycle through a series of different actions and do one of them for each time you press a key.
For example repeatedly pressing U in series could play a whole song, but you need to press once for each note.
Would be curious if that would be allowed or not.

That gets hooked into the “gives an unfair advantage” bit. For example, it’d turn Steal>CnD>Backstab>Heartseeker from F1;5;1;2 to 1;1;1;1. Not to mention the horrors it would do for the optimized DPS rotations in PvE.

Posted by: Draygo.9473

Draygo.9473

You can currently bind 1;2;3;4; to F1;5;1;2 right now, and just run your finger over the keys. Binding a key to a rotation actually gives you a disadvantage in combat, though it can be useful for handicapped people. You get CC’d in the middle of your rotation and now your key has to cycle through the remaining skills to get back to start.

hell ive rebinded all the combat keys and its very easy for me to pull off any chain.

Plus you can pull off the chain faster with a key run like 1234 than you can with 1111.

Delarme
Apathy Inc [Ai]

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

My thoughts exactly and of course “THEY” will not explain themselves with that move if macros(as designed to be used) isn’t allowed in this game, “they” should amend “their” rules since “they” violated “their” own policy with the introduction of the Steel Series MACRO ENABLED keyboard as an OFFICIAL GW2 allowed device, a bit on the ludicrous end for this company don’t you think.

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

Im Mudbone.1437

Guys, this subject has been beaten to death.

The whole keyboard argument was made at release and you can find the hundreds of threads with mod posts in a google search:

https://www.google.ca/#q=gw2+macro+keyboard+site:forum-en.guildwars2.com

The answer has always been the same, one button, one key press.

Can we lock this topic already?

What had to be said has been said, now people are just trying to nit pick every little thing to find loopholes.

One key press, one button. That’s the only thing allowed.

Beaten to death and never answered, LUDICROUS. Macro enabled keyboards are designed for MULTIPLE KEYSTROKES in 1 keypress and the macro-enabled Steel Series keyboard has been given an official GW2 oky-doky to use endorsement.
——-
mac·ro

/?makr?/

noun

noun: macro; plural noun: macros; noun: macro instruction; plural noun: macro instructions; plural noun: macros instruction

Computing

a single instruction that expands automatically into a set of instructions to perform a particular task.

(edited by Im Mudbone.1437)

Posted by: LyricDawnhagen.7803

LyricDawnhagen.7803

A macro enabled keyboard is NOT a violation of the game’s RoC. You can use macros on your macro enabled keyboard AS LONG AS you do not break the one game function per button press.

Keep the Game Action to Key Press ratio to exactly 1 to 1 and you will be fine. From Mark Katzbach’s post above, the problem start if you “map multiple key functions to a single keypress, regardless of the intended use or outcome”. (emphasis is mine)

Come on guys, this is not hard to understand.

Im Mudbone.1437

A macro enabled keyboard is NOT a violation of the game’s RoC. You can use macros on your macro enabled keyboard AS LONG AS you do not break the one game function per button press.

Keep the Game Action to Key Press ratio to exactly 1 to 1 and you will be fine. From Mark Katzbach’s post above, the problem start if you “map multiple key functions to a single keypress, regardless of the intended use or outcome”. (emphasis is mine)

Come on guys, this is not hard to understand.

Another ludicrous statement, why would anyone in their right mind set a macro that uses 1 keystroke for 1 action when that can and is done without the use of a macro enabled keyboard.