VIP Membership

VIP Membership

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Devata.6589

Devata.6589

I doubt the VIP membership is subscription based. But even if it is, we all agreed to it when we first bought the game. Section 4-b of the User Agreement states as such:

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/legal/guild-wars-2-user-agreement/

Besides, what difference will it make to those who choose to be normal players? VIP membership is “Opt in”. Players still have access to 100% of the game. VIPers would only get discounts and minor conveniences at best.

Buying gems is also “Opt in” but the focus on it has also been destroying the game ever since release. So thats not really a big help.

VIP Membership

Posted by: killcannon.2576

killcannon.2576

Why assume they didn’t just add it in there as a joke? They are fully aware that people are actively data-mining everything after all and it would seem quite silly to add something like this to the dat-file without even talking about it first.

Why on earth would you, or anyone else, assume this is a joke? What’s the more likely scenario here: that they would be so tactless to pretend to be adding something that would so greatly upset a very large number of their customers? Or that this is actually something they’re considering/have decided to add to the game?

And your only point that I can see was that you were quitting because someone else may choose to pay a fee for some nebulous benefits that would not change your experience at all.

More power to you.

I’ll remember you said that when you, Vayne, Smooth Penguin, and Volkron are the only people left playing the game. You four might as well decide now which of the abandoned servers you’re going to call home.

You may need to check my post history.

I wouldn’t mind seeing GW2 as a sub model because I would support a horizontal/ mild vertical progression based MMO that:
1. Didn’t have a gem shop.
2. Allowed me to get all the drops from actual in game content instead of having to farm champs or farm world events for extended periods of time.
3. Allowed me to trade with friends and avoid the TP altogether if I so chose.
4. Removed time gating from all but the highest tier of cosmetics or VP.
5. A huge reduction in rng and actual set drop rates for items from mobs and bosses in the world.
6. Could concentrate on actual permanent, compelling content instead of this BS LS.
7. Other stuff I would have to think about but ain’t.

(edited by Moderator)

VIP Membership

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

I hope this is true, as I’ll be one of the first in line to purchase the VIP Membership. Gem purchasing players should be recognized as someone who supports this game. Perhaps some type of unique glowing aura to represent our Elite status?

Buying gems makes one elite? As a FFXI veteran who cleared CoP years before it was nerfed, I laugh at your notion of elite.

VIP Membership

Posted by: chemiclord.3978

chemiclord.3978

Ah this reaction again. If people complain it’s not the game but the people.
Thats a way to ignore problems.

That’s not the point at all.

Saying, “What did the devs do to make people angry?” Is a question with no real answer… because the completely useless answer would be “everything.” Every decision they make is going to kitten off SOMEONE, and probably many someones… who will probably rush to official forums to vent their displeasure. Make a different choice down the road, and it’s an entirely different group of people raising their voices in dissatisfaction.

It’s no more constructive than “why are people always angry about everything?” Because the answer is equally useless. It’s one person is angry about [x]. Another is angry about [y]. Still another is angry about [z]. This guy is angry about [x] and [z]. This fellow doesn’t like [x] or [y], but is fine with [z]. Another one hates it all and is only here because he doesn’t have anything better to do with his time.

See what I’m trying to get at?

In this case, what we have here is a lot of people getting all worked up about something which we actually have distressingly little facts for (and that’s with the presumption this is real and will inevitably be implemented).

VIP Membership

Posted by: Lycis.1843

Lycis.1843

and then there is this from today
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXbwMS-XPGk

Yeah the better stay with this VIP bullkitten in china.

VIP Membership

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

Nice to see these guys and girl but what about it?

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

VIP Membership

killcannon.2576

To the actual MMO crowd? It is a good thing.

How so? Where is your source citing the developers statement that the implementation of a subscription fee would mean a shift away from gem shop-driven design or fully-polished content rather than bite-sized filler Living Story content?

The sub itself is used as a mechanic to get people to login in other sub based MMO’s.

I assume you have played a sub based MMO? The payment models define the gameplay.

VIP Membership

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

I doubt the VIP membership is subscription based. But even if it is, we all agreed to it when we first bought the game. Section 4-b of the User Agreement states as such:

Besides, what difference will it make to those who choose to be normal players? VIP membership is “Opt in”. Players still have access to 100% of the game. VIPers would only get discounts and minor conveniences at best.

Buying gems is also “Opt in” but the focus on it has also been destroying the game ever since release. So thats not really a big help.

Not sure how offering an optional service is “destroying the game”. How does this affect players who don’t buy VIP memberships?

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

(edited by Smooth Penguin.5294)

VIP Membership

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

The fact that they post videos targeted to the Chinese market might suggest that this is something specific for the Chinese version of the game?

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

VIP Membership

Posted by: Fungalfoot.7213

Fungalfoot.7213

Buying gems makes one elite? As a FFXI veteran who cleared CoP years before it was nerfed, I laugh at your notion of elite.

To be fair, there is nothing really worth achieving in this game and that has been an issue since day one so people measuring their worth with their wallets here isn’t a new phenomenon. I was just hoping that we’d see a change come 2014. Certainly not this.

VIP Membership

Posted by: JBDanger.2603

JBDanger.2603

Okay, this threads at 4 pages now within an hour, the longer they let this thread go on with out an official response debunking this shows the true credibility of Anet.

VIP Membership

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

One time buy for life = Not a problem. No different than using the gem store or picking up a gem card.

Monthly thing/based on gem purchase activity = Abject betrayal. Can’t defend that.

My money’s on the first one, and everyone is going to have a conniption anyway because unfettered emotional QQ is the hip thing to do round’ these parts.

If it’s something that counts how many gems you’ve bought over time up to a cap, a “one time over time”, thing that you can just get in one go or over a few years, and if it gives no gameplay advantages, then maybe, just maybe, it may be fine.

But if there’s no cap and it just keeps going up, or if it’s something you have to pay each month and keep paying to keep it active, or if it gives any form of gameplay advantage over players who just purchased the game itself and not just a couple of quality of life services and vanity things, it would NOT be acceptable.

It’ll be a fee and releasing this would turn ArenaNet into a bunch of untrustworthy lying turncoats and no one with the sightless tiny bit of ethical integrity would ever pay for anything anyone of them will ever do as long as they stand under the banner of ArenaNet.

And nobody wants that. Not me, not them, not anyone. Well… maybe their competitors.

The fact that they post videos targeted to the Chinese market might suggest that this is something specific for the Chinese version of the game?

Hm… the japanese version of GW1 had an optional fee for those who preferred it over the one-time purchase…
But anything about it was in Japanese.
Why would they add English texts for a Chinese feature? So it works with the Right Control key?

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

(edited by MithranArkanere.8957)

VIP Membership

Posted by: Elric.6971

Elric.6971

Then again maybe thats indeed not the goal of Ncsoft and will they like you say just try to squeeze out the last money and then move on.

If thats the case however I do wonder how ArenaNet looks at it. Don’t they see it? Do they see it but ignore it? I mean, they had this great expansion based model with GW1, they should see how the micro-transaction focus hurts this game.

The unfortunate likelihood in there is that Anet would know about it… And are powerless to do anything. In business, contracts can mean your bosses can deflect murder charges onto you if you signed in agreement*, and if NCsoft/Nexxon tell Arenanet “bleed out” all Arenanet would be allowed to say is “how big of a mess do you want?”

*Hyperbole

VIP Membership

Lycis.1843

I guess they release GW2 in China (or is it already?) and introducing the VIP thingy with it.

VIP Membership

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

ArenaNet knew this would be data mined and they would never allow this type of news to be introduced this way.

This is either a test to judge reactions, or a joke.

VIP Membership

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

The only thing I haven’t seen implemented that he has found, is precursor crafting, which we know is coming.

Kitten, I hope they don’t try and make that part of the VIP package (just pay $xx.xx/month and you can craft precursors, etc.).

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

VIP Membership

Posted by: Latinkuro.9420

Latinkuro.9420

How so? Where is your source citing the developers statement that the implementation of a subscription fee would mean a shift away from gem shop-driven design or fully-polished content rather than bite-sized filler Living Story content?

The sub itself is used as a mechanic to get people to login in other sub based MMO’s.

I assume you have played a sub based MMO? The payment models define the gameplay.

- this thing is clearly for the chinese market
- since gw2 doesn’t have sub it has time gating !
- Theoritically speaking, if paying this VIP thing removes the time gating I would gladly pay it otherwise NO thank you

VIP Membership

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

Maybe but I don’t see the direct connection between the data mined thing and a random video showing the devs. If there were Chinese characters on the VIP notice then maybe.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

VIP Membership

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

Okay, this threads at 4 pages now within an hour, the longer they let this thread go on with out an official response debunking this shows the true credibility of Anet.

Almost 5pm in Washington. They are packing up and heading home.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

VIP Membership

Posted by: Darkobra.6439

Darkobra.6439

The charr looks photoshopped and the image misspelled “resurrection” with an extra “s.”

Look before you guys let your fury fly out.

If you’re basing it on typos, have you been playing GW2 lately? The amount of reports I’ve had to send based on typos alone.

“More then.”
“Trehearne.”
“Personailty.”

Just off the top of my head.

VIP Membership

Devata.6589

Ah this reaction again. If people complain it’s not the game but the people.
Thats a way to ignore problems.

That’s not the point at all.

Saying, “What did the devs do to make people angry?” Is a question with no real answer… because the completely useless answer would be “everything.” Every decision they make is going to kitten off SOMEONE, and probably many someones… who will probably rush to official forums to vent their displeasure. Make a different choice down the road, and it’s an entirely different group of people raising their voices in dissatisfaction.

It’s no more constructive than “why are people always angry about everything?” Because the answer is equally useless. It’s one person is angry about [x]. Another is angry about [y]. Still another is angry about [z]. This guy is angry about [x] and [z]. This fellow doesn’t like [x] or [y], but is fine with [z]. Another one hates it all and is only here because he doesn’t have anything better to do with his time.

See what I’m trying to get at?

In this case, what we have here is a lot of people getting all worked up about something which we actually have distressingly little facts for (and that’s with the presumption this is real and will inevitably be implemented).

Yeah I see what you are getting at, I did see that before but still, like I said “Thats a way to ignore problems.”.
True, this thing is not a problem yet but the problems that I have with GW2 can be linked back to 3 main problems the biggest of them being a focus on micro-transactions as can be seen from my thread here https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/A-focus-on-micro-transactions/first#post3324571 (fact that I made that proofs it’s something I see as a problem for a longer timer)

The the idea of this VIP model only makes that worse. So to then say “well people will always complain” and basically ignoring stuff like that is not the way to go. I do not complain just to complain it’s based on experiences in the game and yes nearly everything will lead to some negative reaction however ignoring everything with that statement also means you will ignore the real problems.

VIP Membership

Posted by: wookiee.4631

wookiee.4631

Isn’kitten bit early to activate panic mode? I’m uneasy about this thing potentially being put in game, but we won’t know until someone at Anet comments on it.

EDIT: I wish they’d update the swearing filter (and the search function) while they’re working on the forums. >.<

Guild: Northern Wolf Clan [WOLF]

(edited by wookiee.4631)

VIP Membership

Posted by: Latinkuro.9420

Latinkuro.9420

The Guild Wars scrying pool is telling me that a NGE level catastrophe is headed our way

VIP Membership

killcannon.2576

Sub based and hybrid model MMO’s have a significantly larger player base and income than either f2p or b2p models.

Absolutely false.

lol, sorry. Tis true. You can add together every single non hybrid f2p and b2p MMO’s income and players and it wouldn’t even top WoW’s, not to mention if you add on DCUO, Rift, SWTOR, and the myriad others. Hybrid model is quickly becoming the standard, and will most likely be what all western MMO’s switch to over time. F2P and B2P will never disappear, but they draw an entirely different crowd due to the mechanics on offer in those payment models.

The mistake that so many make is that they think an Eastern based MMO system will work in the west, and it simply doesn’t. It all just depends on where you are.

VIP Membership

Posted by: Elric.6971

Elric.6971

ArenaNet knew this would be data mined and they would never allow this type of news to be introduced this way.

This is either a test to judge reactions, or a joke.

If this is was a litmus test, I think the paper just got scorched to the fingers holding it and the vial of acid just blew up in a nuclear-esque blast that took out the entire country and spread fallout throughout the planet.

Yes, these two things should NOT be mixed together. Or they better kitten well explain why they would.

Perhaps that’s been one of the issues with this game, the devs never really explain why the do anything.

God, I miss City of Heroes where there was almost a 24/7 line to the developers. It was like Roosevelt’s fireside chats.

VIP Membership

Lycis.1843

- Theoritically speaking, if paying this VIP thing removes the time gating I would gladly pay it otherwise NO thank you

This is better for the chinese market, I find this still unsuitable for the western market. Especially if we can already buy all this without it.

VIP Membership

Devata.6589

Now sure how offering an optional service is “destroying the game”. How does this affect players who don’t buy VIP memberships?

Impossible to say until we see it in practice. I just point to the fact that buying gems is also “Opt in” while the focus on gem-sales is also destroying the game so just the fact that something is “Opt in” does not mean it’s not a problem.

VIP Membership

Posted by: Vissarion.6509

Vissarion.6509

It’s a trailer that indicates that chinese release is coming closer.

Maybe it has something to do with it.

They called us TEMPESTs, but we can use our elite to cheat death instead

VIP Membership

Posted by: CETheLucid.3964

CETheLucid.3964

If it’s something that counts how many gems you’ve bought over time up to a cap, a “one time over time”, thing that you can just get in one go or over a few years, and if it gives no gameplay advantages, then maybe, just maybe, it may be fine.

But if there’s no cap and it just keeps going up, or if it’s something you have to pay each month and keep paying to keep it active, or if it gives any form of gameplay advantage over players who just purchased the game itself and not just a couple of quality of life services and vanity things, it would NOT be acceptable.

It’ll be a fee and releasing this would turn ArenaNet into a bunch of untrustworthy lying turncoats and no one with the sightless tiny bit of ethical integrity would ever pay for anything anyone of them will ever do as long as they stand under the banner of ArenaNet.

And nobody wants that. Not me, not them, not anyone. Well… maybe their competitors.

I agree.

The only thing that makes me go “hmmm” is the fact that it says “enroll”. That would be suspicious, but the fact that the rest of the image is riddled with typos…

It’s not unreasonable to assume that it’s just a poorly worded early mock up of some kind of VIP thing that they might do.

Again if it’s simply a big one time purchase, no harm no foul.

You don’t “need” any of that stuff the VIP member would get, and the gem discount can be looked at as a self-serving end.

Depending on how much of a discount the VIP earns after the initial membership purchase.

If you’re considering getting this, you’re already using the gemstore often enough.

This would serve as a big lifetime “thanks for your support, have a discount for the rest of your life with this purchase!” thing.

That’s not bad at all.

Now if it’s a system you have to buy into based on how often you use the gemstore, that’s a completely different ballgame.

There’s no defense for that and people would be justified in their anger. It would be an unquestionable betrayal of the gamer.

That said, despite the haters insistent QQ about ascended gear and other assorted BS to the contrary, Anet has never done anything like that to it’s gamers.

There’s no serious precedent there where Anet screws over it’s gamers. They spoil us, quite frankly. At least compared to some other companies out there.

We have little to go on at this point. Let the situation develop before we get the torches and pitchforks, hm?

VIP Membership

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

Settle down, Skritt!

How do we know it isn’t some lame, lame, limited+consumable buff, like the “Collector’s Edition” and “Digital Deluxe”? How many people use Mistfire Wolf?

VIP Membership

Posted by: Ashabhi.1365

Ashabhi.1365

A couple of things we need to consider in this:

1. It’s possible that it is something that is wholly available in-game without the use of cash, such as through achievements (not likely, but possible.) The reson I say this is because after reading the Reddit post in its entirety and seeing the picture ad itself, it looks like there are multiple tiers (20, iirc) and could easily be adapted for something in game to provide “vertical progression” without adding stats.

2. It could very well be something deliberately added to the code for the dataminers so that they’ll be embarrassed when they find it was a joke on them and not true. Kind of a tweak on the nose for looking for things that are not ready for public consumption.

3. It could be something for markets other than the US/EU market (i.e. Asian market)

4. It could be something they were going to add earlier in the game and then scrapped, and somehow didn’t take it out of the finished beta code (not sure how that works, just a thought)

5. If it comes to reality, and involves a credit card only, then like a few others who have posted here, I’m out. As much as I love this game, I will not be prohibited from content simply because I can’t/won’t/don’t want to pay for it.

Level 80 Elementalist

VIP Membership

Devata.6589

If it would then be gone after a month again then maybe. But it it stays active forever then not because then people can unlock it with gems forever it being yet another push from gem-sales.

Well maybe if there will be an expansion and specific expansions give you a unlimited specific rank ot VIP membership. Maybe then maybe.

VIP Membership

Posted by: Aedelric.1287

Aedelric.1287

Settle down, Skritt!

How do we know it isn’t some lame, lame, limited+consumable buff, like the “Collector’s Edition” and “Digital Deluxe”? How many people use Mistfire Wolf?

Calm down little Quaggan.

How do we know it isn’t a subscription fee? The fact that it is unknown is irrelevant as we should still give feedback on what we want and do not want to avoid Arena Net making mistakes.

“I am Evon Gnashblade and this message is acceptable to me.”

VIP Membership

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

Impossible to say until we see it in practice. I just point to the fact that buying gems is also “Opt in” while the focus on gem-sales is also destroying the game so just the fact that something is “Opt in” does not mean it’s not a problem.

But how is Gem sales destroying the game? I’m very interested in how you come to this claim.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

VIP Membership

Devata.6589

But how is Gem sales destroying the game? I’m very interested in how you come to this claim.

Will be the third time I will be linking this link here giving the feeling I try to promote my own thread. What is not the case. I just wrote it so I would not have to keep repeating myself. (wanted to have that said before linking it again) So have a read here: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/A-focus-on-micro-transactions/first#post3324571 There I explain it completely.

VIP Membership

killcannon.2576

Not sure if it’s for the Chinese market or not, I fully expect that GW2 will never see a full release in China. Even if it is, it will be so far removed from Western GW2 it may as well be an entirely different game.

Correct, time gating and large amounts of rng replace some of the draw of logging in that a sub based game creates from it’s payment model. Not saying sub based games don’t have those, they are just drastically reduced.

I see it as the first step towards a true hybrid model, and hopefully much less reliance on rng systems and the gem store than for those who choose not to subscribe to it, or purchase it.

VIP Membership

Posted by: Entioch.6594

Entioch.6594

The perception that this is shameless greediness is what’s turning people off in this circumstance.

Hidden Sin[ONI]
ERP guild looking for members.

VIP Membership

Posted by: Nageth.5648

Nageth.5648

Settle down, Skritt!

Calm down little Quaggan.

How do we know it isn’t a subscription fee? The fact that it is unknown is irrelevant as we should still give feedback on what we want and do not want to avoid Arena Net making mistakes.

I think the issue is that people are threatening to leave (and some are saying they want all their money back). Going nuclear when we don’t have any specifics outside of a very basic feature list is FUD.

VIP Membership

Posted by: Garambola.2461

Garambola.2461

I very much hope this is either not true or it is not what it seems. I already cringe at the VIP people who bought the pass to Queen’s Terrace and are now asking to have every single service in existance there. (Not all people with the pass are like that, of course. Most are just fine.)

I am not an important player. I am not elite. I have not spent hundreds of euros on gems, though I admit to having bought some on both my accounts and enough to get Mr. Sparkles for my daughter’s account. I am not even a god among mortals, I am just a player who has spent thousands of hours playing the game. I cannot claim not to have gotten my money’s worth either, the cost per hour is infinitesimal.

But, if people are divided into two groups, especially by paying a fee, it is not just a gamebreaker to me, it is a heartbreaker. I am not so opposed to people having the opportunity to pay for services, but I don’t want to be a ‘sub person’ compared to the VIPs. I doubt I am the only one who feels this kind of a splitting of the community would not be a good thing.

VIP Membership

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

The poster of this has very reliably brought us datamined info for the last 9+ months. Almost 100% of what he has posted has been implemented into the game. The only thing I haven’t seen implemented that he has found, is precursor crafting, which we know is coming.

Actually it is more like 60% of what he have posted have appeared in the game. And the fact that ArenaNet KNOWS people are data-mining everything, it is quite unlikely that they would put something like this in without any kind of announcement prior.

“Quite unlikely” is quite a speculative statement. And the fact that you posted this implies you know it’s dirty pool; so I’m going to remind you in a few weeks/months when you’re defending it’s implementation that you once acknowledged that it wasn’t a cool thing to add to the game.

VIP Membership

Devata.6589

Not sure if it’s for the Chinese market or not, I fully expect that GW2 will never see a full release in China. Even if it is, it will be so far removed from Western GW2 it may as well be an entirely different game.

Correct, time gating and large amounts of rng replace some of the draw of logging in that a sub based game creates from it’s payment model. Not saying sub based games don’t have those, they are just drastically reduced.

I see it as the first step towards a true hybrid model, and hopefully much less reliance on rng systems and the gem store than for those who choose not to subscribe to it, or purchase it.

The model GW1 had.. Expansion based income was that perfect ‘hybrid’ model.

In a way buying the expansion is then the same as paying a subscription but in stead of buying it for a month you pay for the content and added content ever year / year and a half. The game company can expect a pretty regular income and the player has no time above has head or game-play effected by it’s cash-shop because the design does not have to stimulate cash-sales.

VIP Membership

Posted by: Kaleban.9834

Kaleban.9834

The argument could be that gem sales equals development income, and is a revenue stream. Since other avenues of development are admittedly shoddy (Living Story comes to mind, palette shifted weapon models for Ascended gear rather than different models for each variety, etc.) its somewhat obvious that programming and development resources would be focused on avenues that generate a revenue stream.

This causes a cycle that feeds upon itself, since to continue development of the game, money is required. So development tends to narrow its focus to those areas that generate income. Which detracts from the overall quality of the game over time, as more and more resources are funneled to the income generating areas of development.

It could be argued that by buying gems, one is injecting cash that will help develop content in the game as a whole, but most business models (at least, successful ones) tend to focus efforts on revenue generating avenues to the exclusion of all else.

I’d say that since GW2’s release there has been a steady decline in content, balance and overall quality of gameplay, while there has been a steady and growing amount of items and services available solely via purchasing gems.

VIP Membership

killcannon.2576

In a way buying the expansion is then the same as paying a subscription but in stead of buying it for a month you pay for the content and added content ever year / year and a half. The game company can expect a pretty regular income and the player has no time above has head or game-play effected by it’s cash-shop because the design does not have to stimulate cash-sales.

I would have bought that, and I think that would have been a perfectly feasible way to monetize the game to an extent. They would still need time gating and a heavy reliance on rng to make people log in every day though, in order to populate the zones. Something GW1 didn’t have to worry as much about considering it’s mechanics and zone wide instancing.

VIP Membership

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

Honestly, settle down.

While it’s true ANET might make a few flops or two when it comes to minor things and balance (Like claiming PVT Shout Healer Warrior is a “good ‘support’” build in PvE…), I highly doubt they would betray their fans with anything too gamebreaking.

ANET’s idea of “Digital Deluxe” and “Game of the Year” things usually involve things which are Awesome, but Impracticable, such as Mistfire Wolf, so I can’t imagine a ViP bonus would be anything worthy of purchase. Some of the bonuses don’t even look continuous, such as the extra bag space. Meanwhile, some of the bonuses seem like they will be in the form of a consumable as opposed to a ViP.

Above all else, keep in mind this is something on the dev servers, and not everything datamined necessarily makes it to the game. Otherwise we would’ve had the Swimsuit in the gemstore, and some merchant event in Mount Maelstrom. However, those never made it to the live game either.

Or, it could just be ANET trolling us. Like claiming PVT Shout Warrior is a “good” build…

VIP Membership

Posted by: Melchior.2135

Melchior.2135

If they’d offered this from day one, I’d have probably been sold. I was a VIP user in City of Heroes. I hate the way free to play games have to let their cash shops warp all content development, while subscription games can afford to be a little less panicky about acquisition and use of cash flow.

Unfortunately, at this point they’ve abused my trust far too much for me to sign on for this experiment.

Former Guild Wars 2 fan. RIP, ArenaNet’s integrity.

VIP Membership

Posted by: Nageth.5648

Nageth.5648

I’d like a more detailed explanation why buying expansions is good but an optional sub is bad. What if they gave away expansions for free supported by people who pay subs and buy currency like EVE? How is that model worse than paying for expansions?

VIP Membership

Posted by: Junkpile.7439

Junkpile.7439

I don’t really see problem. There isn’t dmg boost and stuff so this doesn’t really matter.

Low quality trolling since launch
Seafarer’s Rest EotM grinch

VIP Membership

Devata.6589

I would have bought that, and I think that would have been a perfectly feasible way to monetize the game to an extent. They would still need time gating and a heavy reliance on rng to make people log in every day though, in order to populate the zones. Something GW1 didn’t have to worry as much about considering it’s mechanics and zone wide instancing.

Not more as a sub-based MMO. Maybe even less because while in a MMO the fact that you payed money might be a reason to log in today and tomorrow but there mus also be a reason to log in the day after you month ended. Of course GW2 would have a similar thing as they would need to keep people interested in buying the new expansion. So overall I think it’s similar to sub-based game.

Besides some RNG is not bad, it’s even needed. An ‘required’ endless grind is bad.

VIP Membership

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

With regards to it being a fake data-mine, I don’t think so. that_shaman has been a reliable source of information for months now, and I’m inclined to trust what he digs up for us.

As to whether or not this actually goes ahead? It’s hard to say. As others have pointed out, not everything data-mined ends up making it into the game (school girl outfits, anyone?). This may simply have been an idea that was floated and ultimately won’t be implemented. It may be a system that’s in place only for China, where VIP memberships are a fairly common purchase model, and so it would make sense for ANet to offer it there.

Then there’s the possibility it’s based on the number of gems players purchase a month (or within a year), as additional perks for those who support the game. While I don’t like the idea of a “recurrent payments for extra benefits” model (I much prefer a “buy it once, have it forever” system), I concede it could still be fair provided some of the additional benefits (Resurrection Buff, Teleport to Friend) don’t adversely impact certain aspects of the game like WvW.

All in all, I’m wary, but let’s wait for more information from ANet before picking up the pitchforks and torches.

VIP Membership

Lycis.1843

Not more as a sub-based MMO. Maybe even less because while in a MMO the fact that you payed money might be a reason to log in today and tomorrow but there mus also be a reason to log in the day after you month ended. Of course GW2 would have a similar thing as they would need to keep people interested in buying the new expansion. So overall I think it’s similar to sub-based game.

Besides some RNG is not bad, it’s even needed. An ‘required’ endless grind is bad.

There´s no difference between RNG and endless grind. Except that endless grind is better than RNG if you not are lucky kitten. Endless grind can you get the item you desire for sure at the end. RNG you have to be very lucky to get the desired item.