VIP Membership

VIP Membership

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Judge Banks.9018

Judge Banks.9018

It really does take some Shaolin discipline to uphold any semblance of the “code of conduct rules” when threads like this crop up.

Also I would like to point out, CALLED IT! 2014 year of the sheqel.

VIP Membership

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

and then there is this from today
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXbwMS-XPGk

Which tells me they are coming closer to releasing the game in China if they are releasing subtitled videos like this. Maybe a 2nd closed beta or open beta on the horizon?

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

VIP Membership

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

You know what would make me laugh?

If this turned out to be just a basic thing, you buy Gems once and become VIP then “rank up” as you spend more Gems and these benefits become progressive as you rank up rather than all at once. Like, basic VIPs get the bag/char/bank slot, but only top ones get the Waypoint Reduction and Resurrection Buff.

And everyone got worked up over “subscription service” for nothing, and would never apologize for it.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

VIP Membership

Posted by: Lévis.5489

Lévis.5489

This is coming to the game, soon.
http://youtu.be/qhT_E0oi7g0

(edited by Lévis.5489)

VIP Membership

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

If this turned out to be just a basic thing, you buy Gems once and become VIP then “rank up” as you spend more Gems and these benefits become progressive as you rank up rather than all at once. Like, basic VIPs get the bag/char/bank slot, but only top ones get the Waypoint Reduction and Resurrection Buff.

And everyone got worked up over “subscription service” for nothing, and would never apologize for it.

That’s possible. I still think it relates more to the China release however.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

VIP Membership

Posted by: Keiel.7489

Keiel.7489

Not going to jump to conclusions since I don’t know how it’ll be implemented. But I hope it isn’t a subscription based premium service, once of the things that kept me playing GW2 is the lack of a subscription, Though I suspect I’ve spent more money on the gems then I would have on a sub based game, I just like ot have a choice in what I buy or not buy, having a all inclusive sub still gives me a choice but I feel like I am forced to get the whole package just to get the few things I want.

If it’s based on how many gems you’ve bought from them directly (not from gold → gem conversion) and acts as an expereince counter and levels your rank up until you get to a certain point, then I’d fully support this. Since it gives the players an incentive to buy gems directly from them boosting their income vice going to a third party and buying gold to convert to gems. Now the players have an actual decision to make (aside from the moral/economical ones).

[DONE]

VIP Membership

Posted by: Devata.6589

Devata.6589

I’d like a more detailed explanation why buying expansions is good but an optional sub is bad. What if they gave away expansions for free supported by people who pay subs and buy currency like EVE? How is that model worse than paying for expansions?

You are asking multiple questions and comparing a optional sub to a full sub? Anyway I will take it part by part.

“I’d like a more detailed explanation why buying expansions is good but an optional sub is bad.”

An optional sub still means the income is mainly generated by a cash-shop or similar system. That means game-design is focused on you buying the items (that might also be part of the sub.)
Of course I can imagine an optional sub that works good. For example if they do not really give you anything in the game.. yeah maybe some tag but thats it. However in stead it would give you access to beta test for upcoming content.
But in the current case the problem there is that mostly the core focus will still be micro-transactions and a optional sub is pretty much just a way to get part of those micro-transactions elements automatically.

So why is that focus bad. Once again my links: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/A-focus-on-micro-transactions/first#post3324571 read here why.

“What if they gave away expansions for free supported by people who pay subs and buy currency like EVE? How is that model worse than paying for expansions?”
You mean the people who pay a subscription for x months get the expansion for free but the people who buy the game / expansion get the ‘game-time’ for free. Yeah that would also work just fine. But thats not the case here.

VIP Membership

Posted by: CETheLucid.3964

CETheLucid.3964

I concede it could still be fair provided some of the additional benefits (Resurrection Buff, Teleport to Friend) don’t adversely impact certain aspects of the game like WvW.

If teleport to a friend worked in WVW, that would be horribly broken.

It’s likely to put you ontop of your friend anywhere in PVE, but won’t work in WVW/PVP.

Likewise with the resurrection buff. Probably. Unless it’s like a booster thing. Details pending.

VIP Membership

Posted by: Pandemoniac.4739

Pandemoniac.4739

The model GW1 had.. Expansion based income was that perfect ‘hybrid’ model.

In a way buying the expansion is then the same as paying a subscription but in stead of buying it for a month you pay for the content and added content ever year / year and a half. The game company can expect a pretty regular income and the player has no time above has head or game-play effected by it’s cash-shop because the design does not have to stimulate cash-sales.

The problem with expansions is that making them optional purchases splits the playerbase. An optional subscription or VIP program doesn’t.

I like expansions for multiplayer games like GW1 and Diablo, and hate them for massively multiplayer games like WoW or GW2. If an expansion comes out and adds a new zone that you can’t get to without paying but half your server population is in there playing the new content, wouldn’t that be worse than seeing someone running around with a VIP badge (or mini-pet or fancy hat or whatever they’re going to give them)?

Don’t ever think you know what’s right for the other person.
He might start thinking he knows what’s right for you.
—Paul Williams

VIP Membership

Posted by: killcannon.2576

killcannon.2576

To the actual MMO crowd? It is a good thing.

How so? Where is your source citing the developers statement that the implementation of a subscription fee would mean a shift away from gem shop-driven design or fully-polished content rather than bite-sized filler Living Story content?

The sub itself is used as a mechanic to get people to login in other sub based MMO’s.

I assume you have played a sub based MMO? The payment models define the gameplay.

- this thing is clearly for the chinese market
- since gw2 doesn’t have sub it has time gating !
- Theoritically speaking, if paying this VIP thing removes the time gating I would gladly pay it otherwise NO thank you

Not sure if it’s for the Chinese market or not, I fully expect that GW2 will never see a full release in China. Even if it is, it will be so far removed from Western GW2 it may as well be an entirely different game.

Correct, time gating and large amounts of rng replace some of the draw of logging in that a sub based game creates from it’s payment model. Not saying sub based games don’t have those, they are just drastically reduced.

I see it as the first step towards a true hybrid model, and hopefully much less reliance on rng systems and the gem store than for those who choose not to subscribe to it, or purchase it.

In a way buying the expansion is then the same as paying a subscription but in stead of buying it for a month you pay for the content and added content ever year / year and a half. The game company can expect a pretty regular income and the player has no time above has head or game-play effected by it’s cash-shop because the design does not have to stimulate cash-sales.

I would have bought that, and I think that would have been a perfectly feasible way to monetize the game to an extent. They would still need time gating and a heavy reliance on rng to make people log in every day though, in order to populate the zones. Something GW1 didn’t have to worry as much about considering it’s mechanics and zone wide instancing.

Not more as a sub-based MMO. Maybe even less because while in a MMO the fact that you payed money might be a reason to log in today and tomorrow but there mus also be a reason to log in the day after you month ended. Of course GW2 would have a similar thing as they would need to keep people interested in buying the new expansion. So overall I think it’s similar to sub-based game.

Besides some RNG is not bad, it’s even needed. An ‘required’ endless grind is bad.

Yep, you need rng to some extent in any MMO.

Some of the things that keep trinity sub based game players logging in is:

1. “The guild needs me!” If you’re the main tank, a crucial dps, or were a good healer you feel a need to be there for your friends and guildies. Here, they just get someone else because there are few important roles to actually fill and PvE or WvW encounters generally boil down to stack and blast finishers. PvE content is also generally tougher to complete without people knowing their roles and the mechanics of the encounter. Everything is better when you don’t have to pug. Stable roles play a huge part in making players feel needed in game.

2. The sub…don’t want to “waste” that money.

3. Progression- don’t want to fall behind….not really as much of a driving force as players on these forums make it out to be. You can generally get BiS in a couple months, even if you’re a brand new player. Not so much in GW2.

4. The shinies!! Mounts, tabards, crafting, fishing, rep, cosmetics, grinding for super rare items. Generally all horizontal progression stuff.

5. SOOOOOO much content. Generally always something to do. GW2 would also have this if they hadn’t gone the road of temp content to make players want to log in or they would feel like they were missing “The next,huge, amazing LS event”. Still makes me chuckle.

VIP Membership

Devata.6589

To the actual MMO crowd? It is a good thing.

How so? Where is your source citing the developers statement that the implementation of a subscription fee would mean a shift away from gem shop-driven design or fully-polished content rather than bite-sized filler Living Story content?

The sub itself is used as a mechanic to get people to login in other sub based MMO’s.

I assume you have played a sub based MMO? The payment models define the gameplay.

- this thing is clearly for the chinese market
- since gw2 doesn’t have sub it has time gating !
- Theoritically speaking, if paying this VIP thing removes the time gating I would gladly pay it otherwise NO thank you

Not sure if it’s for the Chinese market or not, I fully expect that GW2 will never see a full release in China. Even if it is, it will be so far removed from Western GW2 it may as well be an entirely different game.

Correct, time gating and large amounts of rng replace some of the draw of logging in that a sub based game creates from it’s payment model. Not saying sub based games don’t have those, they are just drastically reduced.

I see it as the first step towards a true hybrid model, and hopefully much less reliance on rng systems and the gem store than for those who choose not to subscribe to it, or purchase it.

I would have bought that, and I think that would have been a perfectly feasible way to monetize the game to an extent. They would still need time gating and a heavy reliance on rng to make people log in every day though, in order to populate the zones. Something GW1 didn’t have to worry as much about considering it’s mechanics and zone wide instancing.

Not more as a sub-based MMO. Maybe even less because while in a MMO the fact that you payed money might be a reason to log in today and tomorrow but there mus also be a reason to log in the day after you month ended. Of course GW2 would have a similar thing as they would need to keep people interested in buying the new expansion. So overall I think it’s similar to sub-based game.

Besides some RNG is not bad, it’s even needed. An ‘required’ endless grind is bad.

There´s no difference between RNG and endless grind. Except that endless grind is better than RNG if you not are lucky kitten. Endless grind can you get the item you desire for sure at the end. RNG you have to be very lucky to get the desired item.

Not really. Lets take 1 mini as example.

Grind way to get it. Grind gold, buy it from TP.

Farm way to get it. (multiple options depending on the mini but lets say drop from group of mobs). You farm that group of mobs to get it. Drop change is for example 1 in 1000. Yeah lucky person gets that one faster then unlucky person.

However someone is going to put it on the TP so the person who prefers to grind for gold can still get it not having to depend on pure luck.

Would be that for everything that is not account-bound.

VIP Membership

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

Sub based and hybrid model MMO’s have a significantly larger player base and income than either f2p or b2p models.

Absolutely false.

lol, sorry. Tis true. You can add together every single non hybrid f2p and b2p MMO’s income and players and it wouldn’t even top WoW’s, not to mention if you add on DCUO, Rift, SWTOR, and the myriad others. Hybrid model is quickly becoming the standard, and will most likely be what all western MMO’s switch to over time. F2P and B2P will never disappear, but they draw an entirely different crowd due to the mechanics on offer in those payment models.

The mistake that so many make is that they think an Eastern based MMO system will work in the west, and it simply doesn’t. It all just depends on where you are.

Yeah, I misread your post and deleted mine shortly after posting.

VIP Membership

darkace.8925

Impossible to say until we see it in practice. I just point to the fact that buying gems is also “Opt in” while the focus on gem-sales is also destroying the game so just the fact that something is “Opt in” does not mean it’s not a problem.

But how is Gem sales destroying the game? I’m very interested in how you come to this claim.

Because too many resources are pumped into the gem shop and not nearly enough are allocated to introducing the kind of high quality content we all expected (and got) when we bought the game.

VIP Membership

Posted by: Elthurien.8356

Elthurien.8356

lol @ all the chicken littles in this thread.

I looked at the pictures on reddit and I just thought, “That really doesn’t seem worth it to me”

If this game was buy to play I would expect all content available at launch until the next expansion with the exception of transfers, storage, character slots, boosters, which would be available in the MTX store, then I would buy the next expansion for additional content.

If this game were Free to play, I would expect all base launch content available at launch with everything else to be purchased from the MTX store, including new skins, vanity items, transfers, boosters, character slots, storage etc etc.

If this game were subscription model It would include launch content and all future content available at subscription price, this would mean makeover kits, transmutation crystals, character slots, bag space, bank space, skins the whole darn lot would be available for your subscription price. If an expansion ensued, it would be at the cost of an expansion, not a full game. I would not pay a subscription for anything less personally.

This game seems to be trying to blend the top two models together in an attempt to get more out their business model, and then offer gimmicky VIP’s for additional money. Whoever is running the show is going down a very slippery slope if the OP is legit.

VIP Membership

Devata.6589

Assuming that it people would just get worked up over “subscription service”.
The way you say it is similar to how they gave away gifts to people who did buy gems. Something I also did see as very bad so it would not change a bid if it would be sub-based (what I honestly don’t think because of there anti sub complain) or the way you say it (more likely).

I also don’t think it’s ‘just a small thing’. The ability to directly waypoint to a friend is huge!!!!

VIP Membership

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

You know, it will be April soon…

VIP Membership

darkace.8925

Impossible to say until we see it in practice. I just point to the fact that buying gems is also “Opt in” while the focus on gem-sales is also destroying the game so just the fact that something is “Opt in” does not mean it’s not a problem.

But how is Gem sales destroying the game? I’m very interested in how you come to this claim.

The argument could be that gem sales equals development income, and is a revenue stream. Since other avenues of development are admittedly shoddy (Living Story comes to mind, palette shifted weapon models for Ascended gear rather than different models for each variety, etc.) its somewhat obvious that programming and development resources would be focused on avenues that generate a revenue stream.

This causes a cycle that feeds upon itself, since to continue development of the game, money is required. So development tends to narrow its focus to those areas that generate income. Which detracts from the overall quality of the game over time, as more and more resources are funneled to the income generating areas of development.

It could be argued that by buying gems, one is injecting cash that will help develop content in the game as a whole, but most business models (at least, successful ones) tend to focus efforts on revenue generating avenues to the exclusion of all else.

I’d say that since GW2’s release there has been a steady decline in content, balance and overall quality of gameplay, while there has been a steady and growing amount of items and services available solely via purchasing gems.

See, this guy (gal?) gets it.

VIP Membership

CETheLucid.3964

I also don’t think it’s ‘just a small thing’. The ability to directly waypoint to a friend is huge!!!!

Not especially. Broken in WVW, absolutely. In PVE? Nah.

VIP Membership

Devata.6589

Not going to jump to conclusions since I don’t know how it’ll be implemented. But I hope it isn’t a subscription based premium service, once of the things that kept me playing GW2 is the lack of a subscription, Though I suspect I’ve spent more money on the gems then I would have on a sub based game, I just like ot have a choice in what I buy or not buy, having a all inclusive sub still gives me a choice but I feel like I am forced to get the whole package just to get the few things I want.

If it’s based on how many gems you’ve bought from them directly (not from gold -> gem conversion) and acts as an expereince counter and levels your rank up until you get to a certain point, then I’d fully support this. Since it gives the players an incentive to buy gems directly from them boosting their income vice going to a third party and buying gold to convert to gems. Now the players have an actual decision to make (aside from the moral/economical ones).

Because there aren’t enough incentive in this game already? I think it would be extremely rude to do it like this. Like I said in a thread about the gifts to gem buyers once. It’s the “we love you more” idea. And thats fine if a game gets released F2P but not if a game gets released B2P. They should then have focused on expansions!

VIP Membership

Devata.6589

Not especially. Broken in WVW, absolutely. In PVE? Nah.

It’s a huge thing. I don’t say it’s a ‘broken’ thing. It just gives you a huge benefit VS not having it.

VIP Membership

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

and then there is this from today
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXbwMS-XPGk

That vid was actually posted back on August 15th, 2013 in China, just reposted today on that youtube account.

The VIP membership looks to be an account upgrade, not a sub. Kinda like a cross between the Black Lion Introductory Package they just released (the 44% discount bundle) and a Heroic Edition.

I would like clarification on how the teleport to friend and resurrection buffs will work though.

VIP Membership

CETheLucid.3964

It’s a huge thing. I don’t say it’s a ‘broken’ thing. It just gives you a huge benefit VS not having it.

Not really. Unless you wanna argue paying 5s max to get to my friend is so tedious and awful. There’s no problem with this VIP feature if it’s exclusive to PVE.

It shouldn’t work in WVW for obvious reasons. Anet isn’t dumb. They know that.

VIP Membership

Posted by: Nageth.5648

Nageth.5648

I’d like a more detailed explanation why buying expansions is good but an optional sub is bad. What if they gave away expansions for free supported by people who pay subs and buy currency like EVE? How is that model worse than paying for expansions?

You are asking multiple questions and comparing a optional sub to a full sub? Anyway I will take it part by part.

“I’d like a more detailed explanation why buying expansions is good but an optional sub is bad.”

An optional sub still means the income is mainly generated by a cash-shop or similar system. That means game-design is focused on you buying the items (that might also be part of the sub.)
Of course I can imagine an optional sub that works good. For example if they do not really give you anything in the game.. yeah maybe some tag but thats it. However in stead it would give you access to beta test for upcoming content.
But in the current case the problem there is that mostly the core focus will still be micro-transactions and a optional sub is pretty much just a way to get part of those micro-transactions elements automatically.

So why is that focus bad. Once again my links: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/A-focus-on-micro-transactions/first#post3324571 read here why.

“What if they gave away expansions for free supported by people who pay subs and buy currency like EVE? How is that model worse than paying for expansions?”
You mean the people who pay a subscription for x months get the expansion for free but the people who buy the game / expansion get the ‘game-time’ for free. Yeah that would also work just fine. But thats not the case here.

You didn’t explain anything at all. How does an optional sub mean more money needed from the gem shop but optional expansions doesn’t mean more money needed from gem shop?

And your last statement saying my theoretical isn’t the case here. Prove it. How is that not a possibility. Point to evidence. You can’t, because we have no evidence what is going on. Lets not spread FUD when we have no idea what the specifics are.

VIP Membership

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

The gem store has been destroying this game for months, so really this is just the next logical step.

The scary thing is… they may actually think that this is a good idea…

VIP Membership

Devata.6589

The problem with expansions is that making them optional purchases splits the playerbase. An optional subscription or VIP program doesn’t.

I like expansions for multiplayer games like GW1 and Diablo, and hate them for massively multiplayer games like WoW or GW2. If an expansion comes out and adds a new zone that you can’t get to without paying but half your server population is in there playing the new content, wouldn’t that be worse than seeing someone running around with a VIP badge (or mini-pet or fancy hat or whatever they’re going to give them)?

I do hear that comment a lot but lets be fair. How many people who do play a game like that regularly will not have the last expansion. And even if it does it only splits them up as not being able to have specific items or going to a specific area / continent.

And to be honest, looking in many MMO’s splitting up the player-base is what they need. People tent to all be in a few places meaning the rest is empty. Splitting up is something GW2 could use to it’s benefit.

The overflow-system is imho a worse version of splitting your community then an expansion.

“wouldn’t that be worse than seeing someone running around with a VIP badge (or mini-pet or fancy hat or whatever they’re going to give them)? “
Well like I said it could even be positive but it’s not that one mini or that fancy hat thats the problem. Thats the way companies always try to defend cash-shops. The problem is how a focus on such elements (cash-shop elements, usually linked to vip memberships) effects the game mechanic in a negative way.

VIP Membership

Tobias Trueflight.8350

The gem store has been destroying this game for months, so really this is just the next logical step.

The scarier thing is, I can in five minutes write up how it wouldn’t be as terrible an idea as people have been claiming in this thread.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

VIP Membership

Devata.6589

Because too many resources are pumped into the gem shop and not nearly enough are allocated to introducing the kind of high quality content we all expected (and got) when we bought the game.

Not only that, it actually effects the game mechanics. Why can’t we go into the world to get collect out mini’s there. Doing dungeons to get them, killing mobs, doing quest..? Well because they want to sell gems so they make it so you can buy them with gems or with gold.. and gold you can grind or buy with gems. What you say is 100% true but it’s go’s much further then that.

VIP Membership

Posted by: Funset.7893

Funset.7893

Why are people so crazy about this? There is nohing exclusive in this VIP membership that is not included in the cash shop right now. In this game you CAN BUY GOLD with real money, and you all nerds flip out because of a VIP membership that gives certain benefits maybe on a better discounted price?

You are all crazy and need to sort out your priorities.

VIP Membership

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

lol now they have a vessel to deliver all that stuff people have been asking for but have been putting off for no apparent reason.

Want to craft a precursor? Become a VIP today!
Want to access new areas? Become a VIP today!
Want player housing and capes/other generic visual hori progression? Become a VIP today!

If they launch this and it makes money don’t think for a second that they won’t start adding new things to the list of perks since “you don’t HAVE to buy it”.
The game’s been taking little baby steps towards becoming another generic mmo and this could end up being their biggest yet.

Or it could end up being a dead end that just never got cleaned out of the dat file but nothing about it seems out of character for the modern Anet.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

VIP Membership

Posted by: Judge Banks.9018

Judge Banks.9018

NEXON s…t.

Well at least someone knows who actually calls the shots on everything these days.

VIP Membership

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

If this is true, I’m out, this fills me with such disappointment I don’t even want to play the game right now.

VIP Membership

Substance E.4852

Why are people so crazy about this? There is nohing exclusive in this VIP membership that is not included in the cash shop right now. In this game you CAN BUY GOLD with real money, and you all nerds flip out because of a VIP membership that gives certain benefits maybe on a better discounted price?

You are all crazy and need to sort out your priorities.

Teleport to Friend
Gemstore Discounts
Convenient Banking whatever that means
Additional Skill Points
Ressurection Buff
and much more! again, whatever that means

Not aware of the gem store items that give any of this.

The simple “and much more!” pretty much invalidates you argument all by itself anyway.

VIP Membership

Devata.6589

lol @ all the chicken littles in this thread.

I looked at the pictures on reddit and I just thought, “That really doesn’t seem worth it to me”

If this game was buy to play I would expect all content available at launch until the next expansion with the exception of transfers, storage, character slots, boosters, which would be available in the MTX store, then I would buy the next expansion for additional content.

If this game were Free to play, I would expect all base launch content available at launch with everything else to be purchased from the MTX store, including new skins, vanity items, transfers, boosters, character slots, storage etc etc.

If this game were subscription model It would include launch content and all future content available at subscription price, this would mean makeover kits, transmutation crystals, character slots, bag space, bank space, skins the whole darn lot would be available for your subscription price. If an expansion ensued, it would be at the cost of an expansion, not a full game. I would not pay a subscription for anything less personally.

This game seems to be trying to blend the top two models together in an attempt to get more out their business model, and then offer gimmicky VIP’s for additional money. Whoever is running the show is going down a very slippery slope if the OP is legit.

I totally agree on your 3 options.. Well maybe boosters should also not go into a B2P model but I can live with transfers / extra char slots and name changer but that’s really it.

I did go for and had much hope for GW2 thinking it would go the B2P way as you describe it and much like they did mainly in GW1.

Sadly it now indeed looks more like the second (F2P) one with the difference that you do need to buy the game first.

VIP Membership

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

The scarier thing is, I can in five minutes write up how it wouldn’t be as terrible an idea as people have been claiming in this thread.

The scariest thing of all is that there are people like this who really believe this….

No wonder the MMO industry has been on a downward spiral recently.

wow, just wow. Oh well if this happens at least I’ll be able to quit without any regret or reservations.

VIP Membership

Devata.6589

Not really. Unless you wanna argue paying 5s max to get to my friend is so tedious and awful. There’s no problem with this VIP feature if it’s exclusive to PVE.

It shouldn’t work in WVW for obvious reasons. Anet isn’t dumb. They know that.

Benefit in the form of ‘easy’ not benefit in profit or whatever. Paying 5 silver you say.. No thats not why I say it’s huge. How about having to walk 15 min to get to your friend. Will not happen a lot on a level 80 char in this game but when leveling and my friend is in an area I did not complete yet it will happen.

Plus you can expect mounts in the future, likely in maps with less way-points and also then it’s even a huge thing for a lvl80 with all way-points.

VIP Membership

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

Honestly, settle down.

While it’s true ANET might make a few flops or two when it comes to minor things and balance (Like claiming PVT Shout Healer Warrior is a “good ‘support’” build in PvE…), I highly doubt they would betray their fans with anything too gamebreaking.

So you haven’t read threads about ascended items or the manifesto I take it.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

VIP Membership

Substance E.4852

The scariest thing of all is that there are people like this who really believe this….

wow, just wow. Oh well if this happens at least I’ll be able to quit without any regret or reservations.

Just try to not think about the fact that there are plenty of people who still think lottery boxes are a good thing.

VIP Membership

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Well how about convenient banking . . . and convenient trading

Also reduced waypoint costs was already available and nobody was using it.

VIP Membership

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Ha ha.

The fact people seem to be jumping to the worst possible conclusions and then defending it with “but we don’t know it’s not going to happen” type arguments . . . or simply “paid stuff is the devil” . . .

I said it above: if this was not a “per monthly service” and instead “you buy gems, you get in as a VIP and start ranking”, and with any of the bonuses you might get just being basically the same as already existing items?

The only things which would make me nervous are “waypoint to friend”, and “and much more”.

VIP Membership

Devata.6589

You didn’t explain anything at all. How does an optional sub mean more money needed from the gem shop but optional expansions doesn’t mean more money needed from gem shop?

And your last statement saying my theoretical isn’t the case here. Prove it. How is that not a possibility. Point to evidence. You can’t, because we have no evidence what is going on. Lets not spread FUD when we have no idea what the specifics are.

Well then I guess I did not understand your question and to be honest I am still not sure if I get it.
What do you mean with an optional expansion?

When you focus on expansions you don’t need to focus on a cash-shop.
Pretty much you don’t need a cash-shop because you focus on expansion.

With an optional sub the focus is usually still on the cash-shop and the optional sub mainly gives you some thinks automatically that are in the cash-shop plus some other little thinks.

So then the question becomes. Why a focus on expansion in stead of a focus on a cash-shop and I did explain that in the link.

About the theoretical option.. No thats not the case.. GW2 does not have the option to buy expansions or a subscription.

VIP Membership

CETheLucid.3964

Benefit in the form of ‘easy’ not benefit in profit or whatever. Paying 5 silver you say.. No thats not why I say it’s huge. How about having to walk 15 min to get to your friend. Will not happen a lot on a level 80 char in this game but when leveling and my friend is in an area I did not complete yet it will happen.

I only play two characters very seriously, I’m not much of an alt guy. Both characters have most of the WPs in the world.

I’ve never had an issue with meeting up with my friends.

If I have something they don’t have or they have something I don’t have, we just meet at the closest WP we both have.

Not very hard. Takes a lot less than 15 mins.

Plus you can expect mounts in the future, likely in maps with less way-points and also then it’s even a huge thing for a lvl80 with all way-points.

Alright. Whatever you say, buddy. I tip my tin hat to you.

VIP Membership

Devata.6589

I haven’t see anybody say how terrible it was. Just that it’s yet another step in the wrong direction. Just saying. How bad it is people can only see after it’s possible release.

VIP Membership

Posted by: Barsimoprimo.2759

Barsimoprimo.2759

the skill points is all i care about that. I refuse to accept a clear advantage like that for a sub. I know we all have a surplus of them, but they are a currency and are pretty important to new players.

VIP Membership

Posted by: JBDanger.2603

JBDanger.2603

The reason so many including me are complaining is because weather it’s a joke or not, they still thought about it and that leaves a bad taste in our mouths. Maybe if they listened to the community in the past and gave us something we wanted, we wouldn’t be so critical of this VIP ordeal. The way I see it, were going to get the same old living story temporary garbage now at a price. No thanks!

VIP Membership

Posted by: Martin Kerstein.3071

Martin Kerstein.3071

Head of Global Community

Next

We just wanted to respond to the image that has been data-mined from the Edge of the Mists testing branch.

This is a testing branch. We conduct internal experiments for various territories on our testing branches. This particular experiment is not being tested for the West.

As always, keep in mind that we test a lot more than we ship, so data-mining is no guarantee of anything. If we have announcements to make about future content, we’ll make them through the usual official channels.

VIP Membership

Devata.6589

Something big is coming in 2014.

Yes it is. S..t storm.

If AN will not add new maps with:
- story for all races,
-POIs
-Vistas
-JPs
-mini dung,
- Hearts.

If they will not add new class,
not add new race (tangu),
will not ad new dungeons
will not add new boss

I will not spend any $$ on gems, i will not but this s…t.

Just make the kitteng expansion not the VIP members NEXON s…t.

Just a tip in general. Pretty much never spend money in any cash-shop of any game that is not F2P. (will still be bad in F2P games but then you go F2P so you make that decision on forehand) And when you do like in F2P games it should only be on unlocks (See LotrO type of unlocks).

Exception can be something like a character slot or world transfer, something outside of the game. But even character slots can mean the company see that as a good way to generate income so add less character slots in the future (in an expansion for example).

On the other hand. Do spend money on expansions. Buy the collectors edition or whatever. In that way you can push the attention in the correct direction. If only everybody would do that games would be of a much better quality.

VIP Membership

Substance E.4852

Well how about convenient banking . . . and convenient trading

Also reduced waypoint costs was already available and nobody was using it.

You have to gamble for both of those or pay precursor prices on the TP. You can’t just pay a few gems.
Teleporting to a person rather than a WP isn’t even the same thing functionally and I’m sure people would rather pay full price to tele right to a world boss than get 15% off but have to run part of the way there.

VIP Membership

Posted by: Barsimoprimo.2759

Barsimoprimo.2759

that fact that you have the audacity to consider it for any territory is disturbing, to say the least.

VIP Membership

Posted by: Kendra Nightwind.8734

Kendra Nightwind.8734

I think I am going to sit tight and see what happens.
I understand that in Korea and China the game is/will be subscription only (due to local laws). I hope that we in the US never see a subscription.

VIP Membership

Devata.6589

We just wanted to respond to the image that has been data-mined from the Edge of the Mists testing branch.

This is a testing branch. We conduct internal experiments for various territories on our testing branches. This particular experiment is not being tested for the West.

As always, keep in mind that we test a lot more than we ship, so data-mining is no guarantee of anything. If we have announcements to make about future content, we’ll make them through the usual official channels.

Thanks for this statement. But if it’s not for the west then why is it in English?