"Veteran Player" Entitlement.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Drayos.8759

Drayos.8759

the OP is right.

Players seem to of built a player entilitment built on absolutely nothing, ur not paying Subscription fees, Laurel among many other things have been given to you as rewards for your loyalty, things new players wont get, not atleast as many as u have, you have been given thousands of gems and monies worth of them over the years.

u paid $50 ages ago, So what?.. if anything the Inital game was Ridiculously Underpriced.

WoD – Costed £40 – 10 levels + 5 Lands + 0 Races + 0 Classes + 0 Speccs + 0 Raids (til 2 months in) + 0 Dailys + Failure called Garrisons… a boring Rushed Expansion.

for £34 you guys got 80 Levels + TONS OF everything + 8 Classes and god knows how many skillsets and everything else Constant Content updates and things for absolute free..

u guys fail to understand, u guys Paid $50 (£34) for the base game, Where the value of the base game was Prolly over £100. The VALUE of this Expansion is Closer to the actual cost of the Expansion which is why you guys are reacting so badly towards it…

They gave U something for Basically Free… Selling it that cheap was basically a crime in this day and Age they could have Gotten SO Much more money for this game orginally but they didnt they werent greedy and stuck with a Nice budgetable price.

You guys dont take into account how much ANet give u free… and How much money u save a Month as this game hjas 0 Sub Model. the games “overpriced” because its their Sole forced Profit. its the ONLY thing they make u pay into.

U just dont get WHY they need to put that sort of Price tag on their expansions…….

U guys would much prefer the game be $20 with the Core game included and to cause Arena net to go into Debt and have to shut the game down Purely from not making the money to cover the Costs of the releases. then wonder why it died and blame those who dont buy gems.

Posted by: DieselFueled.3257

DieselFueled.3257

I pre purchased the original game, played alpha and betas, contribute regularly to the gem store and bought the ULTIMATE option. Funny how $35 would make some of you happy. 10 is what it would take to make others happy.

Thanks for a great game over 3 years with no required pay walls, Anet. Thank you. You’re so greedy. Not asking for money and all that.

You can mow lawns for 20 bucks where I live. Suck it up.

I can get my extensive lawn mowed for much less. Where the heck do you live anyway?

Not arizona. A cab ride is 70 bucks. A bottle of whisky 50 bucks. A steak dinner with my wife, 120 easy.

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

ANet has officially stated that the core game is a free addition, and thus was not calculated into the price of the expansion. You’re not paying for the core game twice. This is the perception of some players, but this isn’t supported by ANet.

The expansion ALONE is worth $50?

That’s a separate argument. Is the game worth it? I don’t know.
Does the game actually cost (say) $40 and ANet added another $10 because they decided to bundle the core game in with it? Well according to ANet no this isn’t the case, the expansion is priced at $50 and the core game adds $0 to that.

Regular version at $50 without any character slot for the new class is an insult to any GW1 veterans

This is an Appeal to Tradition. Also offense is never given only ever taken.

I prebought the game, played in the betas, played almost every day, bought gems with real money every month cuz I figured they were worth it, and I still think this expansion is overpriced for what we are getting.

100% agree. I pre ordered the collector’s edition started 3 day early access bought a second account for my wife, and bought gems with cash. I don’t support this direction Anet is headed in and will vote with the only thing they care about, my wallet.

And that is perfectly fine, if you feel that the expansion is not worth your money then don’t purchase it.

The owner now also wants Customer X to repay for a previous meal

Too bad of course this is not the case. ANet has stated that the core game is a free addition, you are no paying for the core game you are not buying the core game twice. Now if you want to call Anet a liar then just say so, but I’m going off of what Anet has said and they said that this is not what is happening.

Customer X stayed with a business since it opened. He’s bought various menu items in the store and praises the game. Then, one day, the owners push Customer X aside, after he just bought a big meal, to pamper a new customer who may or may not stick around. The owner now also wants Customer X to repay for a previous meal, or a meal he just bought a moment ago, if Customer X wants dessert. And it will cost twice as much if he wants silverwear.

Ok lets use your example. Yesterday I purchased a soda from the store. Today they have special on chips with a free soda. Do I have the right to be angry because I had to purchase the soda yesterday because some customers are getting it free today?

By your logic, no company should ever have sales because people who bought their product at a higher price would be upset.

The sale is a false equivalence.
A sale is for a product that has already been released, players have already purchased it and played it and presumably gotten their money’s worth from the game.
However since HoT has not been released, and thus no one has played it or gotten any sort of reasonable return on their investment or any sort of benefit from doing so changing the price 2 days after it was announced would not be equivalent to a sale.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

What EAnet owes us is non shady business practices. They charge $50 and then do not include a character slot so you can’t actually experience all of the content if you do not have one available to cynically wring another $10 buck out of you. They price it at $50 because of a captive audience; everyone that wants future content is required to have HoT, with the possible exceptions of content like halloween etc. never mind that you’re expected to drop the money with limited knowledge of what’s included.

Anyone dropping $50 is doing that with the information they have now. And I for one don’t consider what has been revealed so far worth $50.

Captive Audience? Really? Is this your first MMO?

If you play WoW, you can’t do the new content if you don’t pay the subscription AND buy the expansion. If you play something like Lotro or DDO, you have to buy each area and some professions. Those games take greed to a new level. Games are either pay to win, which which case they can afford to give you content for free, since you’re forced to pay anyway if you want to progress, or they lock parts of the game behind a paywall, or they charge you a monthly fee.

That’s the real world in MMO. Want to play FFXIV, be prepared to pay a monthly fee AND pay for an expansion. Want to play SWToR, sure you can, for free as long as you don’t want to do anything. It’s more like pay to walk. Most people who play it have the “optional” subscription. ESO had a sub fee milking people for an entire year, so if they come out with something now and it’s free, well, so what? Most players of that game paid over $150 to get there.

This isn’t some huge ridiculous cash grab. This is the realities of the industry and Anet is one of the lesser offenders.

Posted by: Drakonath.7096

Drakonath.7096

Entitlement is not a negative thing. American media has really ruined the word.

Also, my mate bought the game but has played less than 3 minutes. Does that mean he is paying Anet $1000 an hour?

This lmao. +1

Posted by: Bellizare.5816

Bellizare.5816

I pre purchased the original game, played alpha and betas, contribute regularly to the gem store and bought the ULTIMATE option. Funny how $35 would make some of you happy. 10 is what it would take to make others happy.

Thanks for a great game over 3 years with no required pay walls, Anet. Thank you. You’re so greedy. Not asking for money and all that.

I can get my extensive lawn mowed for much less. Where the heck do you live anyway?

Not arizona. A cab ride is 70 bucks. A bottle of whisky 50 bucks. A steak dinner with my wife, 120 easy.

Wow. TG I live in CA. But I must ask, what kinda whiskey?

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

Technically, Cure, that’s not correct. ANet told us that the core game was needed to play the expansion. So . . . people bought the core game beforehand. Heck, some bought it days before this release.

And now? You get the core game with the expansion. That’s three shades shady to more than few people who shelled out that money. You’re ‘soda and chips’ example is moot in that regard.

And yes, you do have the right to be angry. I’m not saying it is or isn’t justified. I’m just saying it’s why many people on the boards are peeved with this announcement is all. Again, if I bought something for forty dollars at Wally-World, and then the next day they gave it away . . . um . . . yes. I have the right to be angry.

Whether it’s a fair business practice is a different question.

Gone to Reddit.

DieselFueled.3257

Wow. TG I live in CA. But I must ask, what kinda whiskey?

Canada. I prefer rye whiskey so Gibsons Finest or Crown Royal. My perspective is a bit biased since the market I live in is fruitful at the moment. But the amount of rage and hate towards a company that has treated it’s players much better than any other game I’ve ever played over 50 bucks is aggravating.

Drayos.8759

What EAnet owes us is non shady business practices. They charge $50 and then do not include a character slot so you can’t actually experience all of the content if you do not have one available to cynically wring another $10 buck out of you. They price it at $50 because of a captive audience; everyone that wants future content is required to have HoT, with the possible exceptions of content like halloween etc. never mind that you’re expected to drop the money with limited knowledge of what’s included.

Anyone dropping $50 is doing that with the information they have now. And I for one don’t consider what has been revealed so far worth $50.

1) Why do they owe u a Character slot for free? What have u done they makes u so Deserving?..

U paid $50 3 years ago, People Give More then that to MMos in 2 days of Play these days…. Rift charge u that much just to use the 2 extra Souls ur class would have, What u paid for In this day and age is the Equilivant of not EVEN a classes Worth of the Dollar.

U assume that u are owed something, without even Understand Enconomy how can u Judge Weather somethings WORTH the money before u even know the WORTH of the Dollar, by your opinon U dont beleive

£34 ($50) is not Worth 3 WvW Maps, Incredibly Detailed and Multi-Purposeful Guild Halls a New Class 8 New Specializations, New PvE content, New Story Line, Instant Access to All Betas

SO how come you beleive this

While People in Rift Fork out £40 so they may access all corners of their class?…. Why do they beleive that is WORTH THEIR MONEY, but u think something 500x More then that is not?…

Everquest 2 Charge £34 for thje Expansions Same price as Guild Wars 2 even though their newest expansion is over a Year old, They also charge £40 to unlock the two new Classes.. and can charge as much as £40 for ONE race unlock.

Still Community agrees its WORTH the money.

Btw these games also require the sub to have full access to those games.

The issue is… Its OBVIOUS to Both Arena Net and EVERYONE ELSE by the Marketted prices of Expansions In THIS DAY AND AGE and how much these expansions Include in them that £34 is a CHEAP price to put on a Expansion.

WoW Cataclysm – P2P game so SHOULD be cheaper then anything GW2 Sell.

5 Levels 2 Races 4 Lands 2 Raids 0 Classes 0 Speccs – £34.99

How does a Expansion that SMALL with barely NOTHING to do it Cost the same price as GW2 on its Inital Release? i mean do you not SEE the problems here.. Where u compare what else u could have bought in the same price range?… That is offered Vastly More for the same price as things that had Nothing in comparison?

DieselFueled.3257

Technically, Cure, that’s not correct. ANet told us that the core game was needed to play the expansion. So . . . people bought the core game beforehand. Heck, some bought it days before this release.

And now? You get the core game with the expansion. That’s three shades shady to more than few people who shelled out that money. You’re ‘soda and chips’ example is moot in that regard.

And yes, you do have the right to be angry. I’m not saying it is or isn’t justified. I’m just saying it’s why many people on the boards are peeved with this announcement is all. Again, if I bought something for forty dollars at Wally-World, and then the next day they gave it away . . . um . . . yes. I have the right to be angry.

Those people have been offered a refund towards HoT if their purchase was within the past 30 days. Relax.

Ardenwolfe.8590

Oh I’m not one of those people, but that’s one of the arguments made.

Gone to Reddit.

Posted by: Tirien.1326

Tirien.1326

Amazing that people still think that the value of something stays the same year after year.
Everything loses it’s value over x period of time, that’s how it goes.

I can’t sell a old car for the price of a new one, won’t ever happen. And it’s true, if you wait long enough this expansion and the price tag with it will fall, just like it does with WoW and every other game.. ever.

If i buy WoW and all expansions today, i will not spend nearly as much as someone who bought these on release day, you can call them Veterans. I don’t see them kitten and moan about that.

And if you think this price tag is just not worth it, you don’t buy it. There’s more to HoT than we know right now, and it’s not like they will release it tomorrow, more info on the expansion will come.

And no, i don’t think they should give anyone veteran or new player extra char slot.
WE already got those when we bought the game.

(edited by Tirien.1326)

DieselFueled.3257

You just reposted their argument in a negative tone without doing any research. As a favor to the entire GW2 community maybe stop that.

Drayos.8759

i’d Agree with you, if they DIDNT refund the Cost of their Inital Purchase if they had bought the game from this site within 30 days of Today.

They are GIVING them back their money, there is no scam, its obvious Guild Wars 2 made a last minute Decision they wouldnt be trying to correct it if it was their aim to do this,

the issue is to make people pay $10 for the Orginal game then $50 for the Actual Expansion will scare ALOT of players away who are new to the game, as soon as u see Multi-purchases in expansions it flags red to most Players looking for new MMOs, Removing the purchase cost of the orginal game on the Next Expansion is the BEST way to run things it brings MORE to the game.

Ardenwolfe.8590

i’d Agree with you, if they DIDNT refund the Cost of their Inital Purchase if they had bought the game from this site within 30 days of Today.

For the sake of clarity, do you have a link to this information?

Gone to Reddit.

Posted by: Pretty Pixie.8603

Pretty Pixie.8603

Captive Audience? Really? Is this your first MMO?

If you play WoW, you can’t do the new content if you don’t pay the subscription AND buy the expansion. If you play something like Lotro or DDO, you have to buy each area and some professions. Those games take greed to a new level. Games are either pay to win, which which case they can afford to give you content for free, since you’re forced to pay anyway if you want to progress, or they lock parts of the game behind a paywall, or they charge you a monthly fee.

That’s the real world in MMO. Want to play FFXIV, be prepared to pay a monthly fee AND pay for an expansion. Want to play SWToR, sure you can, for free as long as you don’t want to do anything. It’s more like pay to walk. Most people who play it have the “optional” subscription. ESO had a sub fee milking people for an entire year, so if they come out with something now and it’s free, well, so what? Most players of that game paid over $150 to get there.

This isn’t some huge ridiculous cash grab. This is the realities of the industry and Anet is one of the lesser offenders.

As I said elsewhere, other games have no bearing on how I spend my money here. I consider the current pricing shady, with the double dipping for a character slot which excludes you from content you just purchased.

I would probably drop the $50 even though with the information available the xpac looks light to me. If I then see that players are being hit up for another $10 just to experience part of the content they just paid for, I’ll think twice.

Good for you that you’re happy with the way they went about it. I prefer to be a bit more discerning with my money.

if you could kindly stay away from the infantile ad hominems, that be swell.

Relentless Inquisition [PAIN] – FA

Posted by: Aenaos.8160

Aenaos.8160

Buy McDonalds. Dollar soda, any size.

More seriously, this does seem one of a few problems people have with the expansion. Those that are mostly ticked off at the price will probably be fine once the expansion inevitably gets a kitteneaper.

You don’t pay 20$ for a freakin’ Big Mac.
I’m sure if you are a fun and hungry,you could spend that much though.
And that is the case with the HoT packs.
It’s Big Mac for 20$.
Yummmy.

-Win a pip,lose a pip,win a pip,lose a pip,lose a pip,
lose a pip,win 2 pips,lose a pip,lose a pip…………..-
-Go go Espartz.-

Posted by: Talon Silverhawk.3574

Talon Silverhawk.3574

Title of this thread is wrong

“Fan boy Entitlement and Gullability”

Ardenwolfe.8590

I have to say some of the recent responses made me think that too.

Gone to Reddit.

Posted by: HenleyLegoMan.4987

HenleyLegoMan.4987

I’m sure that if anet changed the basic edition to include a char slot would mean those of you complaining about people moaning would feel happy they got an extra slot too?

People are trying to get value for money and an extra char slot on basic would benefit ALL players regardless of their view on this topic.

So it’s a win win scenario. Surely you can see that?

There has never been a good war, or a bad peace.

Posted by: Tirien.1326

Tirien.1326

I agree
I bought the game, and bought around 10k gems. And somehow, i don’t feel like i’m being kittened at by Arenanet. Imagine those that only payed for the game and played 3 years, what a bargain!

50$ for this expansion is well worth it, cause i don’t live in a dreamworld where my 20 year old car is worth as much as a new car from 2015, or that my iphone 5 is worth as much as a new iphone 6.

I mean these things happen all the time in the gaming industry, and to me this is logical. If i buy WoW and all it’s expansions today, i won’t pay nearly as much as someone who bought WoW and all it’s expansion on release day. To me it’s common sense..

Value drops over time. And i feel good about buying this expansion, cause these guys deserve it. And if it’s worth the price tag or not, is up to the buyer, they will release more info as time passes.

Pretty Pixie.8603

1) Why do they owe u a Character slot for free? What have u done they makes u so Deserving?..

Your argument makes no sense. I’m a customer. It’s a financial transaction. If I feel I’m being hit up twice for the same product, I’ll think twice.

U paid $50 3 years ago, People Give More then that to MMos in 2 days of Play these days…. Rift charge u that much just to use the 2 extra Souls ur class would have, What u paid for In this day and age is the Equilivant of not EVEN a classes Worth of the Dollar.

Other games have no impact on how I spend my money here. I make my decision on what’s being offered here, because this is the game I play. I play this game because it’s fun and it offered value for money.

U assume that u are owed something, without even Understand Enconomy how can u Judge Weather somethings WORTH the money before u even know the WORTH of the Dollar, by your opinon U dont beleive

Be so kind to quote where I said I was owed anything.

£34 ($50) is not Worth 3 WvW Maps, Incredibly Detailed and Multi-Purposeful Guild Halls a New Class 8 New Specializations, New PvE content, New Story Line, Instant Access to All Betas

It is my understanding that we’re getting 1 new borderland, which will also be available to people that do not purchase HoT. Same for Stronghold (feel free to correct me if you have a quote showing differently)

SO how come you beleive this

While People in Rift Fork out £40 so they may access all corners of their class?…. Why do they beleive that is WORTH THEIR MONEY, but u think something 500x More then that is not?…

Everquest 2 Charge £34 for thje Expansions Same price as Guild Wars 2 even though their newest expansion is over a Year old, They also charge £40 to unlock the two new Classes.. and can charge as much as £40 for ONE race unlock.

Still Community agrees its WORTH the money.

Btw these games also require the sub to have full access to those games.

This is a common logical fallacy, appeal to majority. What other people think in other games has no bearing on my financial decision making here.

The issue is… Its OBVIOUS to Both Arena Net and EVERYONE ELSE by the Marketted prices of Expansions In THIS DAY AND AGE and how much these expansions Include in them that £34 is a CHEAP price to put on a Expansion.

WoW Cataclysm – P2P game so SHOULD be cheaper then anything GW2 Sell.

5 Levels 2 Races 4 Lands 2 Raids 0 Classes 0 Speccs – £34.99

How does a Expansion that SMALL with barely NOTHING to do it Cost the same price as GW2 on its Inital Release? i mean do you not SEE the problems here.. Where u compare what else u could have bought in the same price range?… That is offered Vastly More for the same price as things that had Nothing in comparison?

As I stated elsewhere, I would have considered the $50 on the information available right now if they hadn’t pulled the in my eyes sneaky ’we’re not including a character slot for the revenant though, so if you want to experience all the content, you can buy another slot’ deal.

I might still purchase HoT as I get a better understanding of what it includes. $50+$10 (Aus$80) seems steep right now, especially for someone mostly interested in PvP/WvW.

Posted by: Blackworm.2167

Blackworm.2167

Your argument makes no sense. I’m a customer. It’s a financial transaction. If I feel I’m being hit up twice for the same product, I’ll think twice.

Just as a heads-up, the person you’re refuting is already rather… out-of touch with reality, as he has proven in another thread. He doesn’t actually understand the argument, yet attempts to argue it anyway, like many others here do.

GW1 – Dervish / Warrior –
GW2 – Borlis Pass – Revenant & Warrior –
Steam Profile

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

I can understand and appreciate the OP’s opinion that the GW2 core game was a great value for him. It was for me, also. However, I find his use of what have become the standard internet forum tactics of belittlement and condescension to be reprehensible. Resorting to such tactics is a tacit admission that one’s actual reasoning is insufficient to carry a point.

Ashen is correct. ANet is a business and purchase of the game is a business transaction. HoT is also a business transaction. Consumers have the right to evaluate individual purchases based on the merit of that purchase alone. They can choose to trust the company, or not, but are in no way required to.

My personal belief is that consumers who do not make an effort to evaluate the value-for-money of a product are actually a detriment to the quality of life for others. If they pay more than the content is worth based on comparison shopping, then they are encouraging businesses — whose end-goal is usually going to be profit — to provide less product for more cost.

I’m not saying whether HoT is worth the price or not. I don’t know. Anet has not told me enough about the content to know. I know a lot about some of the features, but very little about the quantity and quality of the gameplay that is going to be available. When I know, then — and only then — can I make an informed decision. If I base my opinion on ANet’s additions to the game since launch, I’d say that I’m unlikely to purchase HoT. As a consumer, that is my right — and, I believe, my responsibility both to myself and to other consumers.

(edited by IndigoSundown.5419)

Pretty Pixie.8603

Just as a heads-up, the person you’re refuting is already rather… out-of touch with reality, as he has proven in another thread. He doesn’t actually understand the argument, yet attempts to argue it anyway, like many others here do.

Thank you for the heads up. I’ll consider that.

Ardenwolfe.8590

I can understand and appreciate the OP’s opinion that the GW2 core game was a great value for him. It was for me, also. However, I find his use of what have become the standard internet forum tactics of belittlement and condescension to be reprehensible. Resorting to such tactics is a tacit admission that one’s actual reasoning is insufficient to carry a point.

Ashen is correct. ANet is a business and purchase of the game is a business transaction. HoT is also a business transaction. Consumers have the right to evaluate individual purchases based on the merit of that purchase alone. They can choose to trust the company, or not, but are in no way required to.

My personal belief is that consumers who do not make an effort to evaluate the value-for-money of a product are actually a detriment to the quality of life for others. If they pay more than the content is worth based on comparison shopping, then they are encouraging businesses — whose end-goal is usually going to be profit — to provide less product for more cost.

I’m not saying whether HoT is worth the price or not. I don’t know. Anet has not told me enough about the content to know. I know a lot about some of the features, but very little about the quantity and quality of the gameplay that is going to be available. When I know, then — and only then — can I make an informed decision. If I base my opinion on ANet’s additions to the game since launch, I’d say that I’m unlikely to purchase HoT. As a consumer, that is my right — and, I believe, my responsibility both to myself and to other consumers.

God, this. This, this, this.

Gone to Reddit.

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

And this is a different conversation from veteran-player-entitlement, or is the game worth $50. Yes I agree that Anet needs to do something about the whole FAQ thing. However again, that’s a separate discussion. Unless you were referring to something else I said?

But it’s not the same argument. This whole thing is fairly multifaceted.

Title of this thread is wrong

“Fan boy Entitlement and Gullability”

Eh… why is everyone so tribal about this. Just because other people don’t agree with you doesn’t mean they’re wrong, or fanboys or gullible. How about engaging with the argument instead of attacking the arguer?

And I’m a positivist. So yeah, different perspectives I guess.

Ardenwolfe.8590

No, pretty much the same thing, Cure. It’s all good. If they’re refunding, as someone implied, it’s a moot point. I want to say I do appreciate you staying civil though.

Chances are I’ll buy the game regardless. Standard only. There doesn’t seem to be any other MMOs on the field or in the horizon to tempt me or others.

And I’m betting ANet is banking on that. It certainly kept DAoC alive for the longest time.

Gone to Reddit.

Posted by: DonQuack.9025

DonQuack.9025

Yo if you like challenging dungeons and stuff like that. WILDSTAR. I got a spare key.

They actually have a specific dungeon that teaches you how to run dungeons. Part by part. Broken down.

Literally
part 1. Ok this is boss interrupt boss
part 2. ok this is boss. now he will start attacking.
part 3. ok this is boss. He will attack and now the room will go batcrap insane.
part4. Parts 1-3 but now we have adds to manage.
part 5. parts 1-5 but harder.
part 6. YOOOOOOLLLOOOOOOO

These are wildstar dungeons have fun!

The movement isnt as fluid as gw2 but its pretty close and they share quite a few mechanics. oh and https://youtu.be/YbItL4qcugk

Concerns about HoT pre-order? Check here!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am9gVQB8gss

(edited by DonQuack.9025)

Posted by: Blackworm.2167

Blackworm.2167

Yo if you like challenging dungeons and stuff like that. WILDSTAR. I got a spare key.

They actually have a specific dungeon that teaches you how to run dungeons. Part by part. Broken down.

Literally
part 3. ok this is boss. He will attack and now the room will go batcrap insane.

The movement isnt as fluid as gw2 but its pretty close and they share quite a few mechanics. oh and https://youtu.be/YbItL4qcugk

Off topic, and I don’t mean to rain on your parade or anything but… I saw Wildstar pre-beta, and thought it was pretty cool looking.
As beta rolled around, I found out I couldn’t play the race I liked on the faction I liked. No big deal I guess… WoW’s like that.
Then I found out it was P2P. In 2015. That killed off any desire I had to play it.

Nowadays I hear the public opinion is that it’s just… “bad.”

Take that as you will, but that’s been my experience.

GW1 – Dervish / Warrior –
GW2 – Borlis Pass – Revenant & Warrior –
Steam Profile

Posted by: Rednik.3809

Rednik.3809

6200+ hours. I have no idea who is those “veteran players” and why they are whining about, but I have no problem with paying for game after that amount of time in it.

Kiijna, Xast, Satis Ironwail, Sekhaina, Shira Forgesparkle, Sfeno, Nasibi, Tegeira, Rhonwe…
25 charracters

Posted by: Greymelken.1892

Greymelken.1892

6200+ hours. I have no idea who is those “veteran players” and why they are whining about, but I have no problem with paying for game after that amount of time in it.

Thats a lot of kitten soda.

Posted by: DonQuack.9025

DonQuack.9025

Literally

Off topic, and I don’t mean to rain on your parade or anything but… I saw Wildstar pre-beta, and thought it was pretty cool looking.
As beta rolled around, I found out I couldn’t play the race I liked on the faction I liked. No big deal I guess… WoW’s like that.
Then I found out it was P2P. In 2015. That killed off any desire I had to play it.

Nowadays I hear the public opinion is that it’s just… “bad.”

Take that as you will, but that’s been my experience.

It started off rough but things have changed. Head to the dungeon subforums and read up noTrigger.

Also its going f2p soon and to be totally honest.

Comparing how much content has been added with p2p in Wildstar vs how much has been added with GW2. I honestly think Id prefer to pay monthly than starve with this mediocre amount of content ( especially dungeons and challenging content * my favs* ) Oh and horrible amount of communication.

Concerns about HoT pre-order? Check here!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am9gVQB8gss

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

Across all characters, I have played for 1374 hours and 50 minutes over the past 1021 days. I paid $60 for the base game.

4 cents an hour. That how much of my money Anet has taken while I played their game.

You might think that is excessive, I some of you reading this have played more. Much, much more. After you have judged me, for a moment, lets say I only played for 1 hour on friday and saturday. Thats 21 cents per hour.

There is NOTHING I can do with 4 cents. I would need 50 times that just to enjoy a Soda. For the price of a soda, I: “Veteran Player” – could have enjoyed 20 hours of Guild Wars 2.

And you don’t take into account that you did not get entertainment at 4 cents per hour.

Sure 4 cents per hour off of YOUR revenue. Not taking into account the fact that thanks to arenanets business model (not sarcastic, I do think this is good) some one else payed for your entertainment and Guild Wars 2 ongoing developement through gem purchases.

Having some of those people who contributed more, in some cases significantly more than you, to Guild Wars 2 success and financial viability wanting to get a small token of appreciation is not entitlement automatically.

Oh and don’t get me started on the “base game is free” argument. You don’t do multiple game promotion sales and tell people the core game is required, then charge full price and “give away” the core game for free. That’s just sleezy.

They gave U something for Basically Free… Selling it that cheap was basically a crime in this day and Age they could have Gotten SO Much more money for this game orginally but they didnt they werent greedy and stuck with a Nice budgetable price.

You guys dont take into account how much ANet give u free… and How much money u save a Month as this game hjas 0 Sub Model. the games “overpriced” because its their Sole forced Profit. its the ONLY thing they make u pay into.

U just dont get WHY they need to put that sort of Price tag on their expansions…….

U guys would much prefer the game be $20 with the Core game included and to cause Arena net to go into Debt and have to shut the game down Purely from not making the money to cover the Costs of the releases. then wonder why it died and blame those who dont buy gems.

As a matter of fact, I would prefer them to give us an option to buy the HoT expansion WITHOUT the core game at a slightly reduced price. I’ve seen almost no one ask for the core game with HoT to get reduced. That makes no sense. Every veteran player already owns the core game. Not sure where your train of thought was going there.

I think you missunderstand a big part of where the frustration is comming from. People not believing the content to be worth 50,- $ is just one of the many misssteps in this current situation.

Posted by: Ihrga.8325

Ihrga.8325

A good idea for the start is for Anet to grow up and do like BIG companies do and create a site where we can get ALL the recent info about expac in one place AND count for ourselves for what we will pay. Till that time for me personally they are hiding lack of features in upcoming xpac. Thats all.

Yes I paid for GW2 3 years before but back then I got much more info simply to make my mind on it! Now I have pretty nothing compared to those day. Simple as that.

Be Polite. Be Efficient. Have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

Posted by: Offair.2563

Offair.2563

I’m with the OP on this. Anet owe me nothing and I’m also happy to spend $50 on this expansion.

They have given me years of entertainment for next to no cost and I feel no issues with supporting them now.

disappointed with the community tbh.

Well said +10.

Bet the complainers are the ones that pre purchased right away and now whining about having to wait to play. This game only costs me 45 euro for 2.5 years of game fun. They never forced me to pay more for it, unless i really wanted something from the gemshop.

Haters gonna hate anyway.

Big Babou, Ranger for life.
Madness Rises [Rise] – Banners Hold.
Don’t argue with idiots, they pull you down their level and own you with experience.

Posted by: Varrg.2704

Varrg.2704

I’m not giving 50 bucks for something that:
a) has even less content than Warlords of Draenor, and that expansion is being constantly kitten on for having nothing to do. But then again, you drones had nothing to do for 3 years and you call it “fun”.
b) doesn’t even have a release date yet.
c) uses terms like “challenging group content” without further clarification.

Posted by: particlepinata.9865

particlepinata.9865

Totaly agree with you on that op. And remember the so called ‘vocal minority on the internet’ is only 1 percent of the players. Not so much the whole community.

Posted by: Liisjak.4509

Liisjak.4509

Why would you ever pre-purchase anything. I’ll wait till it’s out, the price will drop to 20e as usual and we’ll all be happy and on top of it we’ll prolly get some goodies for free as usual. I bought GW2 for 22.95eu and also got the 800 gems Dragon armor with it.

Let other people throw money at imaginary stuff that ain’t out yet. There’s a reason why the world runs on capitalism.

Posted by: FirebrandFrog.7603

FirebrandFrog.7603

It’s a simple matter of “I want the most value out of my money,” because not everyone has enough expendable money to just buy the base game again along with the xpac. ????

“Veteran player entitlement” has nothing to do with it, and all that term is, is a buzzword to tell people with differing opinions to shut up. The GW2 equivalent of downvoting an unpopular opinion.

Is it really so much to ask for offering the xpac by itself? Maybe making it cheaper in the process (since I assume the $50 is counting in the core game itself)?

Briar Stoneheart, 80 Warrior | Erik Haptem, 80 Necromancer
(currently leveling: a Mesmer, an Engineer, and a Guardian)

Posted by: Test.8734

Test.8734

If HoT adds absolutely nothing to the game, I will have gotten my money’s worth. So have you, “Veteran Player”.

Nope, we won’t.

If you think the time you got with the core release of GW2 is worth 1.000$ or whatever, good for you.

That, however, is irrelevant when considering HoT. When buying HoT, you are not paying for the time you have spent playing GW2. You are paying for the time you will spend playing HoT.

How long will you play HoT?

And the answer is, you don’t know.

What is obvious is that the expansion has significant less content than the main game did, so it doesn’t make sense that the expansion is priced as much as the main game.

It doesn’t matter if you think the main game was worth, to you, one billion dollars or whatever. The fact is, we bought it for more or less 50$, and now ArenaNet wants to sell us a (small) fraction of the same content for the same 50$.

Posted by: Diva.4706

Diva.4706

Nobody is entitled to anything from ArenaNet. If they sold the expac for $100 or $1, you are not entitled to it. You just decide if you are willing to pay the price. I do not understand all the complaining of $50 – That is the price to play HoT. If you are complaining that means you DO want to play HoT, you just don’t want to pay. Do you complain at the grocery store every time you buy food? Do you expect the store to just give you food because you shopped there for 5 years and now they OWE you something?

FirebrandFrog.7603

Nobody is entitled to anything from ArenaNet. If they sold the expac for $100 or $1, you are not entitled to it. You just decide if you are willing to pay the price. I do not understand all the complaining of $50 – That is the price to play HoT. If you are complaining that means you DO want to play HoT, you just don’t want to pay. Do you complain at the grocery store every time you buy food? Do you expect the store to just give you food because you shopped there for 5 years and now they OWE you something?

Because you don’t understand why people are complaining. And you never will, it seems.

The simple matter of facts is, judging by what we have been shown alone, this xpac is not worth $50. 20 dollars? Maybe. 30 dollars? A stretch. But 50 dollary-doos, almost the core price of a brand-new game rather than a fancy add-on to one? Nah, son.

People are arguing it not from a sense of “weeeh, pls give us everything anet ;_;” but from a sense of “ArenaNet, this is not a good value for what you’re wanting us to pay.” That’s it. It’s like pre-ordering an EA/BioWare/Activision game or paying for “early access” on Steam. It’s just not a smart thing to do, economically speaking.

Plus, some stores do what you’re gesturing at, which is rewarding customer loyalty. Usually in the form of coupons of bonuses but sometimes, yes, getting free kitten.

But we’re not asking for free kitten. We’re asking for good value to what we want to pay. In order words, if you’re charging $50 for an xpac, that xpac better have $50 worth of content, either on release or soon enough into its release. I’m talking 4-6 weeks after release at best.

No one wants to throw away their money and have buyer’s remorse. That’s their argument.

Posted by: MAGpie.7962

MAGpie.7962

Here is the mentality of the Entitled generation: “Without me, this game is dead.”

Boy, do I have a surprise for you… lel

FirebrandFrog.7603

Here is the mentality of the Entitled generation: “Without me, this game is dead.”

The surprise, of course, being that you continually misunderstand the arguments of others based on what I’ve seen you post?

Not a real shocker, really.

Many people have (repeatedly) condensed and simply explained what the problem is, but you’re really adamant in believing it all boils down to “muh entitlement”.

Posted by: TheRandomGuy.7246

TheRandomGuy.7246

I don’t think I saw a single correct use of word “entitlement” yet.

MAGpie.7962

The reason is quite simple. Not one person has actually put forward the counter argument. Just their side. I can’t help but draw the conclusion that it is all centered around… they self, and what they is entitled. Have anyone even considered the term: PRE-Purchase" and what it will be once it is not longer for PRE-purchase, but simply a purchase?
Just curious how many people actually thought about that part. Doubt many, cause, you know, I am getting screwed… buy not loosing anything.

Still cant quite figure that one out either. I am getting screwed by not loosing anything… eh?

FirebrandFrog.7603

The reason is quite simple. Not one person has actually put forward the counter argument. Just their side. I can’t help but draw the conclusion that it is all centered around… they self, and what they is entitled. Have anyone even considered the term: PRE-Purchase" and what it will be once it is not longer for PRE-purchase, but simply a purchase?
Just curious how many people actually thought about that part. Doubt many, cause, you know, I am getting screwed… buy not loosing anything.

Still cant quite figure that one out either. I am getting screwed by not loosing anything… eh?

The counter-argument is “you shouldn’t pre-purchase ANYTHING, let alone an expansion where not much information has been let loose and should instead be patient and thus smarter with your money.” I thought people learned their lessons with games like AC:Unity and how absolutely buggy it was on launch, or games like SimCity. Or Diablo III. Or anything under the title of EA/Ubisoft/ActiBlizz/etc.

History sure is cyclical. 3_3

But if you’re so sure about pre-purchasing the expansion, or just buying it on launch, all I can really say is that you should research what it is you’re buying rather than diving headfirst into the hype pool.

You’ll crack your head open by the time you see it’s empty.

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

entitled
?n?t??t(?)ld/
adjective
adjective: entitled

believing oneself to be inherently deserving of privileges or special treatment.
“kids who feel so entitled and think the world will revolve around them”

→ Does not really fit the crowd who got misslead by false advertising (core game being required advertised, then once HoT prepurchase got started it got changed).

→ Also is a hard fit for people arguing that what was shown so far and what is to be expected is not deserving of a full price.

→ Might fit the crowd believeing they are deserving of something for supporting the game over 3 years.

Considering your choice of vocabulary does not seem to fit a majority of concerns voiced by people with a different take on the subject, might you want to brush up on those language skills?

MAGpie.7962

When have you lost an argument, when you need to focus on things other than the argument to try and win points. Things such as… say grammar.