Vote for GW2 - Best MMO 2014

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Filaha.1678

Filaha.1678

Bumping as a reminder that you can vote again and again (every 8 hours). EvE is catching up because of this 8 hour rule. Those no-lifers will set their alarm clocks and get up at all hours of the night if they have to. They’re used to doing that anyway for alliance ops.

Also, lol @ implying that GW2 doesn’t have people frequently repeat-voting too.

GW2’s player base is larger than EvE’s yet EvE is catching up…

What does that tell you?

Oh and

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=387941&find=unread

Edit: EvE just took top spot.

GW2’s playerbase isn’t voting, though. A small section of the playerbase that actually looks at the forum AND thinks it’s worth voting is.

So it tells me that you’d have to be incredibly naive to think that all of GW2’s votes are unique.

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

I disagree with the notion that GW2 in 2nd in terms of popularity in terms of number of active/paying players. Top 10 I’m sure but with EVE, FF whatever, SWTOR even Lineage are competitive in terms of active numbers. And certainly in terms of income GW2 isn’t number 2, as last quarter we were number 4 after Lineage, AION and B&S (excluding China) within NCSOFT.

Western and Asian market can not really be compared. Lineage 2 for example was
the most successfull MMO before WoW. It had 2 million subscribers, but in the west
we were celebrating 64.000 players 2 months of release.
Aion had more players here, but also went downhill fast like most asian games in
the west, since western players have no honor, or whatever it is, so that these games
here end as gankfests and destroy themself.
B&S hasn’t even released here, and the last news on their website is meanwhile
2 years old i think.

Lineage is in the end the Korean WoW.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: Deamhan.9538

Deamhan.9538

Bumping as a reminder that you can vote again and again (every 8 hours). EvE is catching up because of this 8 hour rule. Those no-lifers will set their alarm clocks and get up at all hours of the night if they have to. They’re used to doing that anyway for alliance ops.

What does that tell you?

Oh and

GW2’s playerbase isn’t voting, though. A small section of the playerbase that actually looks at the forum AND thinks it’s worth voting is.

So it tells me that you’d have to be incredibly naive to think that all of GW2’s votes are unique.

Kinda like it’s naive to think that EvE’s forums isn’t just the vocal minority too. So what’s your point?

It’s also naive to think that only those that look at the forums know about it and vote.

Filaha.1678

What does that tell you?

Oh and

Kinda like it’s naive to think that EvE’s forums isn’t just the vocal minority too. So what’s your point?

It’s also naive to think that only those that look at the forums know about it and vote.

I didn’t say that Eve doesn’t have double-voters. Just that it’s naive to think that GW2 doesn’t either.

So whether they do or don’t have double-voters is irrelevant to their “catching up” and just sounds more like someone’s trying to make up reasons why anyone else might be beating GW2.

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

I wonder if people would have claimed how meaningless it was if GW2 was not in the lead.

I agree the poll is meaningless but you are right. If GW2 was not listed or in the lower votes of the polls someone would have started a thread talking about how GW2 is dead. “GW2 is dying! Ranked last in the poll!” And people would have jumped all over it agreeing.

The Burninator

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I wonder if people would have claimed how meaningless it was if GW2 was not in the lead.

Yep. I always point out that internet polls (and internet petitions) are meaningless.

Vote goes to FF14.
I like developers that respect their customers.

Yes, like the first game they put out had to be completely revamped because it sucked so bad. It’s so funny how people forget stuff.

Which is both irrelevant to the new version and irrelevant to what Mavis said.

If anything, it makes SE look even better because they respected their customers enough to go “Hey, y’know what? We screwed up. Give us another chance to make it right.”

Unlike some people who will screw up, get a bunch of complaints, tell them they’ll get back to them about it on Monday, and then not say a thing for 2 months.

I would say that ANet devs are respectful to their customers.

See the above-mentioned example.

It’s not respectful at all to tell your customers you’ll give them a response and then just try to shove it aside and hope it goes away.

When I started it only recently, the server seemed quite underpopulated. At one point I died and waited for someone to come by for a rez, just to see how long it would take. Eventually I gave up after about half an hour.

This is what you base your opinion on the size of their player base on? On whether or not somebody revived you on a single map on a single server? Which is probably a starter map that people obviously were less likely to be on?

Whether I believe this even happened or not, I also highly doubt you asked in chat for a revive, which means that you’d be literally just sitting there waiting for someone to happen to come across you, and not only somebody, but one of the classes with (or someone who took) a revive.

To counter your example, yesterday I died while doing a map. Within a minute, somebody had randomly come across me and revived me.

If Gw2 and FF14 population size is nearly to 1:1 ratio, then I wonder which one is “crap”.

GW2’s been out for 2 years.
A Realm Reborn has been out for 1.

Clearly the crap one would be the one that’s had more time to gather customers but hasn’t.

No?

LMAO! Yes the NEW version of the game has been out for 2 years. I don’t know why you think most people or anyone playing it didn’t buy their accounts before that. The thing is that was 1.8 million accounts created total. But that doesn’t say 1.8 million sales. That’s the funny bit. Everyone who downloads the free trial is an account created. Wonder why they phrased it that way.

Guild Wars 2 had more sales than that pre-launch. Not when it was out for two years after having to completely rebuild itself because the game was so bad as to be virtually unplayable. So this is how you think a company respects it’s players.

Launch a really really bad game. A year later relaunch a better game. Charge a monthly fee for it. And even after an entire year of it being out it still doesn’t have the same number of sales Guild Wars 2 had before it launched.

I’m sure there are people who like Final Fantasy and think it’s a fantastic game. There are people who like Pizza Hut too and think it’s fine dining.

Any game is only as good as how it opens. People on these forums are complaining about stuff like the NPE and how fast you get skills. And how boring it is.

We should send them all to Final Fantasy. The complaints would stop.

Filaha.1678

Yes the NEW version of the game has been out for 2 years.

ARR has been out for 1 year.

The rest is just you asserting your own opinions and assumptions without any evidence, probably out of blind devotion to Anet or maybe a last ditch effort to justify your game choice. I don’t need to argue it, because you need to provide evidence of your assertions before it’s worth saying anything.

Also, your numbers are wrong.

Edit: Although your “Any game is only as good as how it opens” line really tells a lot about you. Namely that you don’t know how the MMO genre works. A game that opens with high numbers and then falls to pieces was not successful.

(edited by Filaha.1678)

Posted by: Chrispy.5641

Chrispy.5641

few things to note….

1) Lots of EVE players on their official forums are voting for GW2 (and other MMOs) because they are disenfranchised with the devs over there. Sounds kind of familiar actually…..

2) The reason why WoW isn’t placed so high is that their moderators are very good about removing threads like that within minutes of creation. EVE’s forums have had several threads removed already (once every few hours). This thread will be gone by Monday morning when our devs get back to work. Because of that, any votes you see is a byproduct of one thread simply existing longer than another.

3) No matter how a game expands and adds new content, reworks old systems, or fixed two year old bugs, the one deciding factor in what game is best is which one I played the most, which is also the one I enjoyed the most (otherwise, why play at all?)
….
Based on that criteria, GW2 is not the best MMO of 2014 for me.

(edited by Chrispy.5641)

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

@chrispy
I only one person say they are voting gw2 in the eve thread. There is a handful of people saying they are going to vote on WoW, but just about everybody besides 2-3 are unhappy about eve online.

There might be more than one thread. The one I saw has 4 pages.

Vayne.8563

Yes the NEW version of the game has been out for 2 years.

ARR has been out for 1 year.

The rest is just you asserting your own opinions and assumptions without any evidence, probably out of blind devotion to Anet or maybe a last ditch effort to justify your game choice. I don’t need to argue it, because you need to provide evidence of your assertions before it’s worth saying anything.

Also, your numbers are wrong.

Edit: Although your “Any game is only as good as how it opens” line really tells a lot about you. Namely that you don’t know how the MMO genre works. A game that opens with high numbers and then falls to pieces was not successful.

People don’t read books that start badly…not often. They put the book down. People don’t watch movies that are boring for the first half hour. That’s not just my opinion. Most people don’t.

If you don’t find the opening of that game boring as hell, I don’t know what to say.

I don’t have to justify my choice to you or anyone else. I like TSW and I like EvE online. I think Final Fantasy XIV has a bad start.

Posted by: Chrispy.5641

Chrispy.5641

@chrispy
I only one person say they are voting gw2 in the eve thread. There is a handful of people saying they are going to vote on WoW, but just about everybody besides 2-3 are unhappy about eve online.

There might be more than one thread. The one I saw has 4 pages.

Addendum : GW2 (and other MMOs). I only one person say GW2 as well, but since I forgot to type the word saw just now, it somehow divided itself by zero and opened a portal in time, making me also forget to type other MMOs.

Also, I had another EVE thread linked, but it leads to a 404 page now.

Besides that, Its an interesting pattern that “everyone” who posts on EVE forums just so happen to be unhappy with their game. ‘Everyone’ who posts on Bungie forums hate Destiny, and ‘everyone’ who posts in Turbine’s forums hate LOTRO. And every game has their white knights who rush in to do damage control.

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

I agree that most mmo forums are full of unhappy people, but Eve is not one of them. Compare Eve’s general to GW2 general or Swtor general for example. Eve is highly positive, even in game.

Posted by: Deamhan.9538

Deamhan.9538

few things to note….

1) Lots of EVE players on their official forums are voting for GW2 (and other MMOs) because they are disenfranchised with the devs over there. Sounds kind of familiar actually…..

2) The reason why WoW isn’t placed so high is that their moderators are very good about removing threads like that within minutes of creation. EVE’s forums have had several threads removed already (once every few hours). This thread will be gone by Monday morning when our devs get back to work. Because of that, any votes you see is a byproduct of one thread simply existing longer than another.

3) No matter how a game expands and adds new content, reworks old systems, or fixed two year old bugs, the one deciding factor in what game is best is which one I played the most, which is also the one I enjoyed the most (otherwise, why play at all?)
….
Based on that criteria, GW2 is not the best MMO of 2014 for me.

1) Please link the thread that gives you this conclusion.

2) CCP will lock any redundant thread regardless of the topic. While the EvE forums can be as harsh as the EvE universe, allowing people to post things that would get them banned on these forums, they do have a set of guidelines they follow quite strictly. Trolling, ranting, redundancy, off topic, excessive nastiness, etc. All get locked.

3) No argument there.

Filaha.1678

People don’t read books that start badly…not often. They put the book down. People don’t watch movies that are boring for the first half hour. That’s not just my opinion. Most people don’t.

Most MMOs are slow to begin with because that’s when you have the least things to play around with. That’s not just my opinion. That’s something anybody who’s played multiple MMOs can tell you. If people didn’t buy a game that started off slow, then WoW wouldn’t have become successful.

GW2, unfortunately, doesn’t give you a whole heck of a lot to play with, keeps it slow the entire time thanks to the NPE and trait changes, and then bottoms out into no end game short of doing random events in random places and a slow, uninspired story.

I don’t have to justify my choice to you or anyone else.

Well you’re certainly trying. And failing because you’re relying on lies, but trying nonetheless.

Vayne.8563

Most MMOs are slow to begin with because that’s when you have the least things to play around with. That’s not just my opinion. That’s something anybody who’s played multiple MMOs can tell you. If people didn’t buy a game that started off slow, then WoW wouldn’t have become successful.

GW2, unfortunately, doesn’t give you a whole heck of a lot to play with, keeps it slow the entire time thanks to the NPE and trait changes, and then bottoms out into no end game short of doing random events in random places and a slow, uninspired story.

I don’t have to justify my choice to you or anyone else.

Well you’re certainly trying. And failing because you’re relying on lies, but trying nonetheless.

First I’m not failing because I’m not trying.

Second an MMO can start out slow and still be interesting. AoC did it. Rift did it. Even Guild Wars 2 still does it. It’s not an excuse to suck.

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

Voted World Of Warcraft even though I’ve never played it.
There must be a reason why it’s still going even after 10 years, they must be doing something right even with all the complaints you here on GW2 forums.
I don’t see GW2 lasting that long.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

I do think an MMO’s start can be indicative of its success, or rather lack thereof. A bad start can kill an MMO. This is especially true in the WoW emulation era. Many MMO’s have launched with grand expectations and fallen flat on their faces. Some have salvaged a fraction of their aspirations with a revamp and/or Freemium conversion. AoC and SWtOR come to mind. While each is a relative success after conversion, they will never reach the heights their publishers aspired to originally.

Vayne.8563

There must be a reason why it’s still going even after 10 years, they must be doing something right even with all the complaints you here on GW2 forums.

McDonalds is going for a long time too. It must be the best restaurant. lol

Beldin.5498

Lol .. wanted to write the same. Yeah WoW is more or less the McDonalds of MMOs.

And for not lasting that long, even Everquest still lives. And EQ2 was a far better meal
than WoW in my opinion (beside the horrible german ztanslation)

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.

Vayne.8563

I do think an MMO’s start can be indicative of its success, or rather lack thereof. A bad start can kill an MMO. This is especially true in the WoW emulation era. Many MMO’s have launched with grand expectations and fallen flat on their faces. Some have salvaged a fraction of their aspirations with a revamp and/or Freemium conversion. AoC and SWtOR come to mind. While each is a relative success after conversion, they will never reach the heights their publishers aspired to originally.

Not really the start I was talking about though. It’s like Rift. As much as I don’t like the rest of the game, at least in the beginning, you were in the middle of a war zone. Stuff was blowing up around you. You were struggling to survive. You were in the moment. It carried me through the entire leveling process.

Beldin.5498

Not really the start I was talking about though. It’s like Rift. As much as I don’t like the rest of the game, at least in the beginning, you were in the middle of a war zone. Stuff was blowing up around you. You were struggling to survive. You were in the moment. It carried me through the entire leveling process.

I liked also the rest of the open world in Rift .. what i don’t liked was that it was in the
end again all again just dungeons / raids if you wanted to have better stuff.
These massive zone events there were really fun for me ..

Vayne.8563

I liked also the rest of the open world in Rift .. what i don’t liked was that it was in the

See I liked it to a point, until I completely maxed out my planarite and couldn’t gain any more. That was the issue for me. Imagine doing events and not accumulating any more karma because you’d hit the cap. That was infurating.

Not that there was anything useful to spend planarite on anyway.

Posted by: Fay.2735

Fay.2735

I’m surprised that Eve is winning in every single category it’s in.

•— Fay Everdunes | Fay Erduna | Lilyfay (Fay.2735) — Mesmer/Revenant — [NA]FA — 8k±Hrs Played —•
Have you heard of the city? The ancient uru? Where there was power to write worlds

Vayne.8563

I’m not. I’m sure it’s become a community project for them. They love stuff like this.

Posted by: sharkstein.2109

sharkstein.2109

Maybe when they decide to live up to that title. WoW gets my vote here, thanks for the voting reminder!

“Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness”.
— Every heartbroken Guild Wars fan on GW2

Posted by: ganix.8297

ganix.8297

I agree with best mmo 2012 but not in 2014.

Beldin.5498

See I liked it to a point, until I completely maxed out my planarite and couldn’t gain any more. That was the issue for me. Imagine doing events and not accumulating any more karma because you’d hit the cap. That was infurating.

Not that there was anything useful to spend planarite on anyway.

What me really turned off was when i saw that at level 50 you only could get stuff
that was level 46-47 or whatever for the purple shards from World events .. heck
not even decent level 50 stuff.
Ahh .. and that better crafting receipes were only available in dungeons, even if people
that played dungeons all the time didn’t really needed that crafted stuff.

Posted by: SpeedFiend.4521

SpeedFiend.4521

Voting in this poll must be the fabled “stuff” the dev team is working on, perhaps? I went with EvE, because even though playing internet spreadsheets isn’t really fun, at least the devs talk to their playerbase.

Posted by: Kraljevo.2801

Kraljevo.2801

As much as I love this game, it is not the best MMO in 2014.

In 2012? Yes, without a doubt.

Posted by: Kraljevo.2801

Kraljevo.2801

Have my like! Oh wait

Filaha.1678

Well, if we go by your criteria that number of consumers is somehow inherent to the quality of the product, as demonstrated by you bringing up the number of accounts for FF14 when talking about the quality, then McDonalds must be a very high quality restaurant for the number of people they serve daily.

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

I’m not. I’m sure it’s become a community project for them. They love stuff like this.

^This Eve’s dev’s go forth and back with the updates, when something didnt worked as it should they work to fix that element and not cover with another bad decision, they had that in the past but worked out to fix becouse players were not happy.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.