Warhorn Audio Feedback [merged]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: brisingr.8642

brisingr.8642

I didn’t see anything in the Aug. 25th patch notes about a change to the sound. I guessing this is a bug from the most recent patch. Thoughts?

Posted by: Jzaku.9765

Jzaku.9765

Is it REALLY that hard to just make Howler’s wolf howl completely overwrite the normal warhorn effect

Also yes this new sound is utterly horrible please change it back.

Posted by: Rose Solane.1027

Rose Solane.1027

This new horn sound has to be a bug. There is nothing in the patch notes about it. There is no reason for ArenaNet to not include it in the patch notes. Unless they are afraid of what we would think of this horrible sound!

I made an in-game bug report to make sure at least someone from ArenaNet reads about it.

Piken Square, The descendants of Gwen

Posted by: Chaos.5072

Chaos.5072

Please fix this!

Posted by: billanator.1259

billanator.1259

Sounds like a tuba attached to a toilet and the ensuing sounds sounds badly synthesized.

Posted by: JuneBug.5972

JuneBug.5972

I know right. My necro sounds like its farting.. big time. Is this a bug??

Chaos.5072

It is a very annoying bug. I wish we could get some confirmation that they are working on a fix.

Posted by: ShelBlackblood.7826

ShelBlackblood.7826

Ah come on, it can’t be that bad….. You all must be exaggerating.

→ listens for the first time
W-what was that?
→ again
ugh
→ again
I can’t explain what I hear, but this is not the sound a horn usually makes.
→ again, again
Ok, sounds like a crashing helicopter with farting propellers and some weird echo in the background.

I don’t want to troll anyone, but ten years ago, Rurik could do better with a horn ~.~ (yes I know this is a cutscene :p)
https://youtu.be/fFGawEp6gdM?t=1m10s

Chaos.5072

Why do they keep moving this from bugs to general as if this was somehow intended?There is no way this sound was intended, it sounds distorted and buggy and needs to be moved back to bug reports so the devs can actually see it and fix it.

Posted by: Ameepa.6793

Ameepa.6793

Haha just tested the horn and bursted out laughing. That’s just.. something. Not that the old one was good, but this one is just hilariously bad.

Posted by: Monk Tank.5897

Monk Tank.5897

Umm, It sounds like a tuba that got run over by a schoolbus, what caused the sound of the warhorn to change? Is this what we are really stuck with? It doesn’t sound very war horn at all.

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Posted by: Monk Tank.5897

Monk Tank.5897

Posted by: KevinB.9643

KevinB.9643

I didn’t make this legendary to sound like a farm animal passing gas.

I was planning on making The Howler, but maybe I should wait a little…

Posted by: Autumnmane.3574

Autumnmane.3574

My Ranger: I must rally my comrades to battle! * armpit fart noises * So inspiring.

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

It’s………… I don’t even know how to respond.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: mulzi.8273

mulzi.8273

not a fan. i thought my sound card was going…

Posted by: The Greyhawk.9107

The Greyhawk.9107

Hmm. All the more reason to keep all the audio muted. Nice job Anet. Keep that clusterkitten train a-rollin’.

Hate is Fuel.

Posted by: WEXXES.2378

WEXXES.2378

Both of the sounds suck. The old one was like an old man failing to raise the spirits of his comrades. The new one doesn’t even sound like a warhorn.

So many examples of better warhorn sounds:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBb_aO5lLZA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVMiZAqTWQ0
(of course they would have to be shorter duration but yea)

Posted by: Khristophoros.7194

Khristophoros.7194

(of course they would have to be shorter duration but yea)

Short duration ruins it completely. I mean, the initial blast can be shorter but it needs to echo for a good 5+ seconds or it’ll just be weak.

Posted by: Heather.4823

Heather.4823

I hate this new horn sound, sounds nothing like a horn! please change it back

Siren – Aurora Glade

Posted by: Skynet.7201

Skynet.7201

Please fix this. It’s pretty obnoxious. :/

We created the perfect infiltration machine.
Join 9K+ GW2 players: https://www.facebook.com/groups/GW2Gamers/
All are welcome!

Posted by: ananda.5946

ananda.5946

I half like the new sounds. It does remind me of the music accompaniment in a horror film where a creepy person is revealed to be standing right behind someone or something like that, though.

Posted by: Hierofantus.3250

Hierofantus.3250

Exactly what im hearing all the time… Anet Is0 fix…

Posted by: cryorion.9532

cryorion.9532

Please revert original warhorn sound back. This one is very annoying and definitely does not fit. I get the attempt to make it sound different, but previous sound is just perfect and suitable.

Posted by: thomdane.3670

thomdane.3670

What I could say about this change has already been summed up in this post. It sucks, REALLY sucks. Change it back please.

I am Eredon Terrace
Order of the Blue Heron [OTBH]
Arathorn Cirdon – Warrior | Ariana Cirdon – Mesmer

Posted by: TheRandomGuy.7246

TheRandomGuy.7246

Don’t know if anyone mentioned it but cannons at mai trin make farting noise too.

Posted by: Caedmon.6798

Caedmon.6798

My Ranger: I must rally my comrades to battle! * armpit fart noises * So inspiring.

Hahaha ;d

Posted by: Sariel V.7024

Sariel V.7024

Clearly people weren’t paying attention during the Tempest preview when they said they were going to update the warhorn sounds. This is intentional, not a bug.

I’m a little amused no one has brought up the vuvuzela yet.

Posted by: BrettM.9062

BrettM.9062

Begging ANet doesn’t seem to be working. I think we need to shame them instead. Somebody needs to make a music video featuring the new sounds and put it on YouTube. (I’m surprised this hasn’t already been done.)

Posted by: Loxias.2375

Loxias.2375

The warhorn notification for a PVP match beginning is perfect; exactly what I would expect from a warhorn.

The new sound is obviously a prank by a disgruntled employee.

Posted by: Ark Bladesteele.2943

Ark Bladesteele.2943

The warhorn notification for a PVP match beginning is perfect; exactly what I would expect from a warhorn.

Hey, that’s a good point! I always thought that was a fantastic horn call. How did they manage to drop the ball so badly on this?

NSP’s resident crazy-eyed sylvari

Posted by: johnnymiller.5968

johnnymiller.5968

Sounds like a cross between a truck horn & someone passing wind. Either change it back to the original or make it sound like King Toad horn.

Posted by: philheat.3956

philheat.3956

Thanks for trying to make warhorns sound like they’re supposed to finally.

Unfortunately it wasn’t well executed and sounds comical. lol

It shouldn’t be difficult. Here are some examples I searched up on youtube real quick.

See, what you want is a majestic echoing sound that seems to carry for miles. It doesn’t actually have to be heard for farther away than normal sound effects, but that’s the effect you should have.

Also, it would be cool if commanders using a warhorn skill would sound around the whole map.

Really liked this collection

I agree, the actual sound is terrible.

Posted by: Gladys.3542

Gladys.3542

It sounds so bad i had to change to shield. WTF was anet or who ever changed to sound thinking. WEnt to toilet and took a selfi there and though the sound his kitten made was so great he has to share it whit rest of the world.

CHANGE IT BACK !!!

Posted by: Raven.9603

Raven.9603

i thought my sound file was corrupted it sounded so disgusting. apparently this is intentional?

anet: nobody wants this. please either change it back or make it into something that isnt awful.

SBI | Oceans | Ranger – Thief – Ele – Eng – Nec – Guard – Rev
Celestial Avatar is like an old man: Takes forever to get up and is spent in 4 seconds

Posted by: nyxkora.8356

nyxkora.8356

I can’t even…this sound. Please change it. It sounds exactly like what everyone says. I don’t even want to touch my Howler now, it too painful to listen to. It’s grates my ears.

Nyxkora ? Ele – Necro – Guard – Thief ?
[Ohai] – NSP
(Wants Howler fixes)

Posted by: BrettM.9062

BrettM.9062

I can’t even…this sound. Please change it. It sounds exactly like what everyone says. I don’t even want to touch my Howler now, it too painful to listen to. It’s grates my ears.

You’d best stay out of Orr, then. Risen Subjugators have warhorns and are farting all over the Orr maps. One sort of loses respect for them hearing that. (But it is kind of funny when you run away from them immediately after hearing that “blaaaat”. If only there was an animation to make us hold our noses while feared … )

Posted by: rapthorne.7345

rapthorne.7345

I much prefer these sounds to the old, much less obnoxious, but could still be improved.

Resident smug Englishman on the NA servers, just because.

Posted by: Lauren.3061

Lauren.3061

I remember hearing the sound guys were going to rework the warhorn audio (I feel like this was when they were on Points of Interest? don’t quote me, but think that’s where I heard it) so I’m guessing this is working as intended. =/

This is really surprising as the audio guys do such an awesome job normally. but this is really just godawful. foghorn + out-of-tune brass section + bad gas = new warhorn audio. Please consider re-do’ing!

~Arabella

Posted by: Pomdepin.7068

Pomdepin.7068

My concern is why are they changing things nobody asked for when they would have plenty to do with players’ suggestions ?…. And they pretend they don’t have any time to make a special birthday event cause of HoT’s development. So why would they change a nice warhorn sound with another that is uncertainly popular ? Risky bet they lost here. It would be weird if it was a bug.

Tempests are gonna be even happier now ! ^.^

Posted by: Stardust.7892

Stardust.7892

I really hope a dev sees this thread. I sent an email to Anet support and was told to post my complain in the forums, so here it is:

I spent a lot of time crafting Howler. First I tossed hundreds of warhorns into the mystic forge for the precursor, then I crafted the different components – all of which required a lot of time. It took me MONTHS to do this. Finally, I got my legendary, and was very proud of myself. I got foggy footsteps, a cool “howl” as the sound effect, but to my dismay I found out that the day/night effect had been taken out. (The glowing moon that I thought looked AWESOME on the wiki.)

While I was disappointed, I figured it would be put back in at a later point. Probably just a bug! (Note: it was never put back in.)

Fast forward to this past week where my legendary has pretty much been ruined.

That sound effect… is hideous. It’s downright embarrassing to use my warhorn now, because people point out that I’m “farting”, and you can’t even hear the howl (for HOWLER) over the ugly noise.

For Anet to arbitrarily change the sound like that on an item I spend SO much time on is a complete letdown. I don’t even want to use the legendary I worked hard to create. First it the day/night effect was removed, now this. I wish I could trade in my legendary for another, or at least get all the gold I spent back.

If nothing else Anet, please change the sound back.

Posted by: CandyHearts.6025

CandyHearts.6025

I finally got to hear the sound for warhorn and . . . I feel like a little kid. I laugh every time. xD

It sounds like. Well. Ehmm. I’m sure someone has already said it. xD

Posted by: Tuomir.1830

Tuomir.1830

The sound effects sounds like the character was punched in the gut at the second he or she started to blow the horn – while chances are that’s precisely what’s happening while playing, that’s not what I want to hear. Our heroic, and possibly not so heroic, characters shouldn’t be struggling to play their chosen instrument. Imagine if all professions dropped their weapons at the end of their attack animations, this is the audio equivalent.

And if you insist on keeping this new noise, for kitten’s sake, make the howl sound replace it for Howler and amp it up a bit. I made Howler to howl.

Only fools and heroes charge in without a plan.

Posted by: Brigantia.5746

Brigantia.5746

So they actually changed it to sound like this atrocity on PURPOSE??? I thought this was a mistake it’s not permanent right?

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

So they actually changed it to sound like this atrocity on PURPOSE??? I thought this was a mistake it’s not permanent right?

Not even a single line comment so they must have done it on purpose, so it obviously is permanent.

The only other option is that they have no idea they even changed it themselves. That can happen, right? Maybe the GW2 source code has become sentient. Children always like fart noises.

Posted by: Stardust.7892

Stardust.7892

Still no “official” word on it. I can only hope this was a test or a mistake, because this sound being the default warhorn noise (and especially the LEGENDARY warhorn noise) is ridiculous.

Posted by: McKelly.6317

McKelly.6317

I’m glad it’s not just me! I’ve been laughing every time I use the Warhorn, especially since I use it to give a speed boost to my team mates. Run up behind them then, frrrrrrrrrrtttttt. lol.

Isle of Janthir
Cirilaa – Druid, Galaxy Idol Tetora – Mesmer, Aintno Hoelbrakgirl – Guardian

Posted by: Aethgar.1784

Aethgar.1784

With my son at daycare, I could finally turn up the effects without eliciting a small child ragefest at not getting to sing along to his own music.
I blew my Howler.
I stared.

Seriously, I’m a big ANet fangirl and I’m shaking my head.
It’s just a buzz.
It’s a nasty buzzy thing, not the sonorous extended tone that we’d expect emerging from a warhorn.
Please sample/replicate the Battle for Pelennor fields in LoTR and give us THAT.

Not this.. this.. whatever it is. Fart suggests amplitude or SOUND. Not a bzzzzt.

Tarnished Coast| House Corvidae
Lord Ahrwit Valdyr/Isambard FitzValdyr/many more…

Chaos.5072

Can we please get some official word that this warhorn sound bug is known and they are working on a fix? This sound is so irritating!