Wasting laurels on ascended gear

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: TietFabriek.1953

TietFabriek.1953

I cannot equip 2 of the same ascended rings I bought. So… Did I just waste my laurels on one of the items? It is soulbound so I cannot give it to another character. I would love to have a refund to buy something in it’s place and I think that ArenaNet should give you a message to notify you when you are buying an item you already have and cannot equip it. I did not know at all that I cannot equip 2 of the same ascended rings, it is possible with exotics?

I really hope ArenaNet see’s this so I can get my laurels back.

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

You can try to file a ticket.

In before people chastise you for not understanding arbitrary MMO terminology despite the fact you can equip two identical blue or green or yellow or orange rings.

IMO, buying an ascended piece should permanently remove it from the list for that character until you destroy or infuse it, because otherwise, what’s the point of even allowing that option except to screw you over?

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

Posted by: Jemmi.6058

Jemmi.6058

If you infuse a ring, I believe it makes it account bound

Infusion through adding 1 shard, 3 globs, 5 essences from fractals in MF with ring.

Posted by: Navi.7142

Navi.7142

Contact support and explain what happened to you. They already have refunded several other players that experienced the same thing.

For example:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/No-warning-about-ascended-rings/page/4#post1834804
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Can-not-use-the-same-Ascended-item-twice/first#post1889375

Good luck!

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

IMO, buying an ascended piece should permanently remove it from the list for that character until you destroy or infuse it

I have a much simpler solution. Remove the Unique tag from those items – they do absolutely nothing besides causing a lot of misunderstandings.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

ArchonWing.9480

IMO, buying an ascended piece should permanently remove it from the list for that character until you destroy or infuse it

I have a much simpler solution. Remove the Unique tag from those items – they do absolutely nothing besides causing a lot of misunderstandings.

It’s true. It’s even better than my suggestion,

However, if they had realized this, then it would have never been an issue to begin with. >.>

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,

Posted by: Navi.7142

Navi.7142

Well, it would be easier to understand if they would put a little bit more information in it.. like “Unique per character” or “Can be only equipped once”.
Or put in a confirmation box that says: “Are you sure, you want to buy this? You can only equip the same item once at the same time.”

Something like this would prevent lots of problems. ^^

Posted by: Latinkuro.9420

Latinkuro.9420

If you infuse a ring, I believe it makes it account bound

Infusion through adding 1 shard, 3 globs, 5 essences from fractals in MF with ring.

THis ^^ is your solution I can confirm it does make it account bound once you infuse it, just don’t make another mistake and equip it again on the same toon as it becomes soulbound again after equip !

Posted by: CobaltSixty.1542

CobaltSixty.1542

How would you have two of the Shiniest Shinies? they can’t both be the shiniest.

TietFabriek.1953

Well, it would be easier to understand if they would put a little bit more information in it.. like “Unique per character” or “Can be only equipped once”.
Or put in a confirmation box that says: “Are you sure, you want to buy this? You can only equip the same item once at the same time.”

Something like this would prevent lots of problems. ^^

Exactly my thought.

Thank you everyone for the help. I will try and get the refund, if not I will have to get those essences so I can infuse it.

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

False. They create a very nice form of shallow vertical progression because people need versatile infusions to min-max. Removing the unique tag would remove that as a system. The system is brilliant but it should be clarified a bit more.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Posted by: Flissy.4093

Flissy.4093

“Unique”

Why didn’t you look it up in a dictionary or online translator if you did not understand what it meant.

Light Up the Darkness
“Dear ANet, nerf Paper, Scissors is fine. Sincerely, Rock”
Elysaurus | Warrior | [LOL] | League of the Legendary | Gandara (EU)

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

How would you have two of the Shiniest Shinies? they can’t both be the shiniest.

Your thinking is too linear. You need more angles.

Why didn’t you look it up in a dictionary or online translator if you did not understand what it meant.

Unique:

1: being the only one : sole
2 a : being without a like or equal : unequaled
b : distinctively characteristic : peculiar 1
3: unusual

I don’t see anything here about being unable to equip two uniques if you have them.
In fact, i don’t see even one definition of “unique” that would fit what we have in this game.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

They should just change the term to “highlander” then everyone will know what they’re talking about.

Game description: This ring is Highlander.

Player: Oh, there can only be one. Got it.

Posted by: Xeph.4718

Xeph.4718

While not ideal, and if you cannot get a refund infusing the rings (provided you do fractals to get the mats) will work. You can actually equip two rings of the same type if one is infused and the other isn’t. As I have done this on a character before, unless its since been changed.

Pandion Knights – Seafarer’s Rest
www.pandionknights.co.uk
Ava Solaris – Warrior SFR

Posted by: Calae.1738

Calae.1738

Unique in MMO land means…

…an item with the exact same attributes cannot be equipped more than once per character. Developers have difficulty when it comes to juggling game balance in PVE and PVP. The people who create items aren’t the same people responsible for balancing. The people who create items are just artists who create cool stuff. People who balance the game have to work with formulas and statistics. So basically the balance guys just add a unique tag to an item and call it balance.

(edited by Calae.1738)

Posted by: kokiman.2364

kokiman.2364

The item description says “Unique”, which means you can equip only one at the time of the same item.

GuildWars 2

Currently playing Heart of Thorns.

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

“Unique”

from merriam-webster.com

Unique
1. : being the only one : sole <his unique concern was his own comfort> <I can’t walk away with a unique copy. Suppose I lost it? — Kingsley Amis> <the unique factorization of a number into prime factors>
a : being without a like or equal : unequaled <could stare at the flames, each one new, violent, unique — Robert Coover>
b : distinctively characteristic : peculiar 1 <this is not a condition unique to California — Ronald Reagan>
: unusual <a very unique ball-point pen> <we were fairly unique, the sixty of us, in that there wasn’t one good mixer in the bunch — J. D. Salinger>

which definition should the OP have relied on?

IMO the term “unique” is used in a unique manner in MMOs. Worse, there’s no way to know that unique has a particular meaning unless it bites you. Watch these forums and your see a post just like the OPs come up every month or so. To me, that indicates a problem.

None of the definitions above says “you can equip it only one,” That definition is a legacy from another MMO and if you don’t know the jargon you’re going to get kittened.

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

Posted by: kokiman.2364

kokiman.2364

Worse, there’s no way to know that unique has a particular meaning unless it bites you.

Yeah they write that in the itemdescription for no reason.

GuildWars 2

Currently playing Heart of Thorns.

Posted by: butch.8136

butch.8136

I’ve just had the same happen to me. An ingame refund like ‘buyback’ or something would be nice or atleast a tooltip.

Razor xxxx (Desolation ; Off)
Bring back: ‘Gamer’ title + MAT’s!
Throw out: Hotjoin!

TooBz.3065

Worse, there’s no way to know that unique has a particular meaning unless it bites you.

Yeah they write that in the itemdescription for no reason.

No, they wrote it for a good reason — to inform the players, it’s just a bad description — because it doesn’t.

Posted by: Infernia.9847

Infernia.9847

I wish they’d implement a buyback on ascended, laurel for laurel so that when there is a balance patch we can switch gear. Or in the event an alt becomes your main all the pretty pink gear isn’t gathering dust. I’m sure you’d lose the infusion if it was implemented but I wouldn’t mind the trade-off.
But we were talking about the ‘unique’ tag. Maybe a buyback of ascended items would work for that too. I can’t see a way that anyone could abuse this.
At the very least Anet could provide a tooltip for first time buyers that pops up and explains what ‘unique’ means in terms of equipping the item.

Blackgate : Level 80 Ranger, Necro, Guardian, Warrior
Devs: Trait Challenge Issued

TietFabriek.1953

While not ideal, and if you cannot get a refund infusing the rings (provided you do fractals to get the mats) will work. You can actually equip two rings of the same type if one is infused and the other isn’t. As I have done this on a character before, unless its since been changed.

Thank you for the confirmation that it works. Although it is not my preferred solution, because I am now forced to do Fractals until I can Infuse the ring. If I don’t get a refund I guess you will be seeing me in Fractals for the next few weeks.

I’ve just had the same happen to me. An ingame refund like ‘buyback’ or something would be nice or atleast a tooltip.

I’ve read that some other guys got a refund for making the same mistake by making a support ticket in-game, hopefully we can get a refund too. I’ve made my support ticket ..

But yeah, the point is that when a player buys an item he already has, a pop-up message should be displayed stating the item is unique and that you cannot equip it on the same character, “are you sure you want to buy this item?”. This will solve the problem and also reduce the support tickets Anet receive.

(edited by TietFabriek.1953)

ArchonWing.9480

“Unique”

By your unquestionable logic, then you shouldn’t have been able to buy a duplicate due to it being unique. There should have only been one of them. Buying another should have caused the universe to implode.

The dictionary has forsaken us. What do we do?

Posted by: Flissy.4093

Flissy.4093

being the only one

being the only one

The only one, but somehow you expect 2 to be able to be equipped? Gotcha.

By your unquestionable logic, then you shouldn’t have been able to buy a duplicate due to it being unique.

Agreed, and this is the flaw – not being able to use 2 of the same is perfectly fine.

Light Up the Darkness
“Dear ANet, nerf Paper, Scissors is fine. Sincerely, Rock”
Elysaurus | Warrior | [LOL] | League of the Legendary | Gandara (EU)

ArchonWing.9480

And indeed, regardless of logic, this system is inconsistent and unintuitive. People shouldn’t have to use other MMOs as reference.

There are no pros to keeping this whatsoever, only cons.

Posted by: danbuter.2314

danbuter.2314

Fanbois need dictionaries to defend their pet corporation.

Posted by: lilstev.3498

lilstev.3498

“Unique Equip”

Don’t worry man, I’ve made the same mistakes in other MMO’s. It’s one of those MMO terms.

Posted by: Squidlips.3817

Squidlips.3817

People arguing that video game players should know this make the assumption that everyone here has played MMOs and that this attribute is the norm. The first of which is a lofty assumption, the second of which is patently false with games like the wildly popular Diablo series where unique is only an indicator of quality.

Straight Dumpstered [ONE] – Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: lilstev.3498

lilstev.3498

“Unique Equip”

Don’t worry man, I’ve made the same mistakes in other MMO’s. It’s one of those MMO terms.

Oh and btw, at least in other MMO’s I was able to refund it to the vendor once I realized my mistake. A flaw in this game that should be fixed ASAP!

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

There should have only been one of them. Buying another should have caused the universe to implode.

This has long been a sore point in MMOs for me. It seems like every story is all about me, until I go to a communal area and see hundreds of others who are just like me. Like in SWTOR, the bounty hunter storyline has the PC win the big bounty hunter contest, and gets a title like Grand Champion of the Great Hunt… then you go to the main gathering place and there are a hundred other Grand Champions of the Great Hunt walking around… I saw it and thought, hey this year they had a 300-way tie for first place.

It’s the same in GW2… every asura wins the Snaff Prize, every norn is the Slayer of Isomir…

MMOs really need to rethink this “unique” thing.

TooBz.3065

being the only one

being the only one

The only one, but somehow you expect 2 to be able to be equipped? Gotcha.

By your unquestionable logic, then you shouldn’t have been able to buy a duplicate due to it being unique.

Agreed, and this is the flaw – not being able to use 2 of the same is perfectly fine.

If there is only one, once I buy it you cannot. Unique.

It’s a kitten term. What’s more, there is really no reason to have it be this confusing. I think the fact that people regularly mess this up and post here is sufficient evidence that there is a problem.

Posted by: Stone.6751

Stone.6751

This happened to me as well and I filed a ticket and received no response. Considering the time gate for these items it was incredibly discouraging, especially since nothing prompted me that it would be an issue.

Penny Royalty – Level 80 Guardian
Raingarde – Level 80 Necromancer

TietFabriek.1953

Well its been 2 days and no response on my support ticket. Guess I will have to infuse it then, by the time I have enough Vial Essences (need 45, I have 2) to infuse it I will already have acquired enough laurels to buy 3 other rings.

TietFabriek.1953

I have logged a support ticket on the support website and they replied with a solution on the same day. They gave me a replacement item of my choice. Thank you Anet!!

Posted by: butch.8136

butch.8136

Oh nice! Gonna send a ticket too!

Razor xxxx (Desolation ; Off)
Bring back: ‘Gamer’ title + MAT’s!
Throw out: Hotjoin!

Posted by: Reinforcments.5713

Reinforcments.5713

Eq2 made this simple….

“Lore” – One item can only be equipped at a time.

Is anet just new at this or do they just ignore ALL progress by other mmos?

Posted by: Jamais vu.5284

Jamais vu.5284

Almost nothing should be soulbound before equip. I do not understand the fetish ArenaNet has with that. The mistake is easily, quickly made and every day dozens of players get f—ed over it (because keeping with the GW tradition, there’s nowhere a meaningful tooltip to be found that it wouldn’t work).
I’d very much appreciate if they retroactively turned all currently unequiped Ascended items account bound, or atleast in the future.

Posted by: Moderator.6837

Moderator.6837

Hello,

As there is a dedicated thread for this subject here, this one is now closed to avoid duplicates.

Thank you for your understanding.