Wasting of Resources and Time

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

SAB is fun. I get it. I like to play it too. But in the context of the storyline and the world that Tyria is in, it makes no sense at all to having SAB.

asura are building teleporters and golems and you think it’s unrealistic for them to build a virtual space where their apprentices could practice combat?

About the question on how do I know it is a waste of resources and time. The time it takes them to put SAB and do all the stuff for the flash game, even if it one devs doing it, you still waste resources on bandwidth, fixing SAB’s bugs and some other stuff. Maybe it doesn’t take them much resources or time, but it is still a waste when you can sure hell use that time to do RELEVANT contents like making Queen Jennah have an instance of having a molten alliance messenger conveying a message of surrender or die. FOR EXAMPLE.

1. SAB was made by a group of about 3 people that were responsible for holiday events. Their department doesn’t work on dungeons, it doesn’t work on bug fixing, their department doesn’t work on any of it
2. The flash game was made by a developer at his FREE TIME. I know that you want all people to be slaves for you and work on what YOU want while sacrificing time they could’ve spent with their family, but sorry, the world is fair and you don’t get to tell people what they should and shouldn’t do on their own free time.

Posted by: SirDrygan.1823

SirDrygan.1823

SAB is fun. I get it. I like to play it too. But in the context of the storyline and the world that Tyria is in, it makes no sense at all to having SAB.

asura are building teleporters and golems and you think it’s unrealistic for them to build a virtual space where their apprentices could practice combat?

About the question on how do I know it is a waste of resources and time. The time it takes them to put SAB and do all the stuff for the flash game, even if it one devs doing it, you still waste resources on bandwidth, fixing SAB’s bugs and some other stuff. Maybe it doesn’t take them much resources or time, but it is still a waste when you can sure hell use that time to do RELEVANT contents like making Queen Jennah have an instance of having a molten alliance messenger conveying a message of surrender or die. FOR EXAMPLE.

1. SAB was made by a group of about 3 people that were responsible for holiday events. Their department doesn’t work on dungeons, it doesn’t work on bug fixing, their department doesn’t work on any of it
2. The flash game was made by a developer at his FREE TIME. I know that you want all people to be slaves for you and work on what YOU want while sacrificing time they could’ve spent with their family, but sorry, the world is fair and you don’t get to tell people what they should and shouldn’t do on their own free time.

Work on what I want? Like they making Staff Ele more playable? I wished. But they will never do it unless I own Arenanet. No. It has nothing to do with what I WANT.

I was talking about the RELEVANCE of the content and also why they choose to waste resources and time putting up content like SAB and also the mini flash game that is not in the game?

The world is fair. Right. If the world is fair, Eles would not be the worst class in GW2 and Thieves won’t be that overpowered. Or Engineers will not be as useless as it is now…etc.

And I am sure the devs get to be with their family, as we don’t pay a subscription so they probably work normal working hours and having normal weekends. So, no, I am not telling anyone what they should do or not do on their free time, I am only telling Arenanet to stop wasting resources and time on UNRELEVANT content.

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

How DARE employees do stuff that can be used for the game in their spare time?
I mean of course they should not do ANYTHING AT ALL when they don’t work, especially nothing that involves what they actually like doing!

This is more or less how threads like these sound..

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Star Ace.5207

Star Ace.5207

Note that IME, SAB isn’t a retro gaming experience at all (no offense!) but jumping puzzles in miniature disguised as 8-bit. That’s why it may appeal to many audiences in the game, I doubt it’s the 8-bit element invoked (on that subject, I disliked how they took out the 8-bit GW2 theme music intro just a few days after first implementing SAB-now that was cool!)

If it was more like Deadly Towers and other really difficult games (but less “jumpy” if you will) no one would like this addition. :P Note that I am not complaining about SAB, just putting it on perspective to those who dismiss it as “retro-garbage”, because it simply isn’t-the music, graphics, and very few mechanics, maybe.

Mirta.5029

Work on what I want? Like they making Staff Ele more playable? I wished. But they will never do it unless I own Arenanet. No. It has nothing to do with what I WANT.

I was talking about the RELEVANCE of the content and also why they choose to waste resources and time putting up content like SAB and also the mini flash game that is not in the game?

The world is fair. Right. If the world is fair, Eles would not be the worst class in GW2 and Thieves won’t be that overpowered. Or Engineers will not be as useless as it is now…etc.

And I am sure the devs get to be with their family, as we don’t pay a subscription so they probably work normal working hours and having normal weekends. So, no, I am not telling anyone what they should do or not do on their free time, I am only telling Arenanet to stop wasting resources and time on UNRELEVANT content.

Did you even read my post? Sab was made by 3 people that don’t work on departments that could have made anything you want and the flash game was not made during WORKING HOURS.
Now to your other points:
1. Ele is not broken. I mostly play my ele with summoning different weapons and boy do they hit hard.
2. Engi doesn’t feel weak. Not if you’re able to build your engi correctly. You know what’s weak? Try a necro.
3. I told you how Sab can be weaved into Tyria. You still decide that it’s irrelevant.
All I’m hearing from your posts is “Do what I want, weeee!”. Please stop. You’re not a kid anymore, you don’t get to whine like a little baby.

Posted by: athuria.2751

athuria.2751

Telling Anet to stop “wasting resources and time” and citing a project that was done entirely in someone’s spare time for it is, yes, dictating what people should be doing with themselves and is extremely entitled of you to say.

How are we defining relevance? Relation to the Living Story? That’s a new thing, what was relevant before? How do we define the relevance of the other holiday events? Relation to the Personal story? That’s pre-every GW2 event that has happened since. Relevance to the people working on it? It’s a holiday event, it’s totally relevant for the holiday people to work on it (in fact, they have been added to the Living Story team now, so they’re even going to get to add new content to the world outside of events like SAB! Aren’t you excited).

I am failing to see how SAB, something that actually used Anet resources, is “irrelevant”, except maybe irrelevant just because you don’t like it.

Syrlya | Sylvari Mesmer
Arabelle Jones | Human Engineer
Stormbluff Isle

SirDrygan.1823

Telling Anet to stop “wasting resources and time” and citing a project that was done entirely in someone’s spare time for it is, yes, dictating what people should be doing with themselves and is extremely entitled of you to say.

How are we defining relevance? Relation to the Living Story? That’s a new thing, what was relevant before? How do we define the relevance of the other holiday events? Relation to the Personal story? That’s pre-every GW2 event that has happened since. Relevance to the people working on it? It’s a holiday event, it’s totally relevant for the holiday people to work on it (in fact, they have been added to the Living Story team now, so they’re even going to get to add new content to the world outside of events like SAB! Aren’t you excited).

I am failing to see how SAB, something that actually used Anet resources, is “irrelevant”, except maybe irrelevant just because you don’t like it.

Wintersday and The Mad King are all lores in the world of Tyria right?

SAB is?

Mirta.5029

SAB is?

something an asura build so his apprentices can train without getting into real danger. Having in mind that they can build teleporters and golems, it’s not far fetched at all.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

SAB is?

SAB is an Asuran invention made to help teach children about how to deal with dangers in the world. It’s the kind of annoying, whacky thing an Asuran might invent.

Not everything that happens in a world has to be based on Guild Wars 1, and what happened in Guild Wars 1. That’s like saying Europeans discovered America, so America can’t have any holidays or culture that isn’t based on something in Europe. Baseball cant’ exist because they didn’t play it in England.

Yes, Mad King and Wintersday existed in Guild Wars 1. And SAB, invented by an Asura exists in Guild Wars 2.

Posted by: Geotherma.2395

Geotherma.2395

SAB is?

Asura inventing a training device for people to use for honing skills without the penalty of death. It is an educational device created by Moto.

Or what Vayne said :P

Or if you want to remove it from context completely, it is a April fools joke adapted into actual content instead of just a visual trick.

Also Arenanet continues to create innovating things for GW2, in doing so trying new and interesting things. By trial and error they are opening new doors to other MMO’s to see what can actually work in the genre. Whereas other companies stick to the cookie cutter kind of design, and don’t take risks.

“If you always do what you always did, you will always get what you always got.”
~Albert Einstein

Intel i7 3.9ghz processor 16GB Ram 2TB HDD
Nvidia GTX 650 Win 7 64bit FFXI 4+yrs/Aion 4+ years Complete Noob~ Veteran OIF/OEF
http://everyonesgrudge.enjin.com/home MY GW2 Music http://tinyurl.com/cm4o6tu

(edited by Geotherma.2395)

Posted by: athuria.2751

athuria.2751

SAB is?

Yes, technically—it was designed less obtrusively, probably because it does stretch the “Asura Magitech” idea (and because it’s April Fools) and because there have already been complaints about how it breaks the ambiance, but the idea is that this is a thing that an Asura created and exists in the world of Tyria. There’s even ambient dialogue added in (such as the Consortium guy trying to get Moto to sell it) that addresses it as a thing that actually exists there, rather than every other NPC just ignoring it completely.

Syrlya | Sylvari Mesmer
Arabelle Jones | Human Engineer
Stormbluff Isle

Posted by: Eladriel.7295

Eladriel.7295

Why is Arenanet wasting resources on this? -> https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/presenting-the-rytlocks-critter-rampage-game/

The time could be used to FIX bugs or ADD new stuff to the game. Even the Super Adventure Box is a WASTE of resources and time when you all could use the time to MAKE CONTENT RELEVANT to the storyline on Tyria. Make a new dragon appear or some new dynamic events that actually did PERMANENT change to the world of Tyria or something!

Yes, the Molten Alliance storyline is cool and all, but if you all could just stop wasting time on making a Mario Brothers wannabe in 3D, you all could have make the Molten Alliance storyline even better.

There’s always an ungrateful pup in the mixed. Just because you think it a waste, Anet didn’t and neither did the players who enjoyed it.

Together we stand in the face of evil!

SirDrygan.1823

Did you even read my post? Sab was made by 3 people that don’t work on departments that could have made anything you want and the flash game was not made during WORKING HOURS.
1. Ele is not broken. I mostly play my ele with summoning different weapons and boy do they hit hard.
2. Engi doesn’t feel weak. Not if you’re able to build your engi correctly. You know what’s weak? Try a necro.
3. I told you how Sab can be weaved into Tyria. You still decide that it’s irrelevant.
All I’m hearing from your posts is “Do what I want, weeee!”. Please stop. You’re not a kid anymore, you don’t get to whine like a little baby.

I did read your post about how SAB can be weaved as a platform for Asuran’s to do virtual fighting. I would have agree if it wasn’t that cartoonish to begin with. And I doubt Asuran technology is only 8bit.

My want’s demand are posted on the Elementalist forum. I only shout “Do what I want, weeeee” there, not here. Like for example “I want meteor shower to have a shorter cooldown, do it NOW NOW NOW.”

I only “whine” because Arenanet in my opinion put out a content that does not reflect the lores and also the storyline content of the current storyline arc. It is like that black sheep in a group of white sheep. Kinda something like that.

And I am not unhappy that the devs are doing extra with the free time, but at least do it within the context of the game instead of diverting to showcase something that is not relevant to the content of the game. And yes, these devs are not the people in the starting 11. I get it. Geez.

The only thing I don’t get is when they put content that is so out of the ball park that it is just totally unnecessary in the storyline.

SirDrygan.1823

Why is Arenanet wasting resources on this? -> https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/presenting-the-rytlocks-critter-rampage-game/

The time could be used to FIX bugs or ADD new stuff to the game. Even the Super Adventure Box is a WASTE of resources and time when you all could use the time to MAKE CONTENT RELEVANT to the storyline on Tyria. Make a new dragon appear or some new dynamic events that actually did PERMANENT change to the world of Tyria or something!

Yes, the Molten Alliance storyline is cool and all, but if you all could just stop wasting time on making a Mario Brothers wannabe in 3D, you all could have make the Molten Alliance storyline even better.

There’s always an ungrateful pup in the mixed. Just because you think it a waste, Anet didn’t and neither did the players who enjoyed it.

I am not ungrateful. I only asked why they wasted resources and time on it. If I am ungrateful, I would have phrased my post differently and most swearing or kittens..etc.

And I did not say dislike it SAB or the flash game. In fact, I love it (SAB), had a great time running around with other pugs but that is another matter altogether.

lordkrall.7241

I am not ungrateful. I only asked why they wasted resources and time on it. If I am ungrateful, I would have phrased my post differently and most swearing or kittens..etc.

And I did not say dislike it SAB or the flash game. In fact, I love it (SAB), had a great time running around with other pugs but that is another matter altogether.

So, how are they wasting time?
Do you require them to work on the actual game even on their free time?

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Geotherma.2395

Then it wasn’t really a waste then was it. Your “fun” was the reward. So if time invested =fun, I’m missing the point of this entire thread. Unless your saying they wasted time on making something you enjoyed. Which, well, makes this all very confusing.

Nvidia GTX 650 Win 7 64bit FFXI 4+yrs/Aion 4+ years Complete Noob~ Veteran OIF/OEF

SirDrygan.1823

Then it wasn’t really a waste then was it. Your “fun” was the reward. So if time invested =fun, I’m missing the point of this entire thread. Unless your saying they wasted time on making something you enjoyed. Which, well, makes this all very confusing.

Because it is not relevant to the context of the storyline. Had they posted something like the Mad King or Winsterdays which are actually LORES in the world of Tyria, then it would had not been a problem, but it make no sense for SAB.

Yes, I have fun with SAB, but that is another matter for me.

(edited by SirDrygan.1823)

Geotherma.2395

Because it is not relevant to the context of the storyline. Had they posted something like the Mad King or Winsterdays which are actually LORES in the world of Tyria, then it would had not been a problem, but it make not sense for SAB.

But you are missing something here. Lore is history yes? Who says history is not written every moment of every day? Why can there not be new history written in a game that boasts about “Living Story” that continues to advance? Are you saying the flame and frost living story is not lore? because the moment it entered tyria it became lore to the game. It will from now on be concidered part of the history of the game. Will you go into GW3 (just an example) and complain when they add something different, in that it wasn’t based off lore like something Flame and frost was? Not everything is nailed down to lore, and not all lore is stuff created by a story book.
Lore-
1.Accumulated facts, traditions, or beliefs about a particular subject. See Synonyms at knowledge.
2. Knowledge acquired through education or experience.
3. Archaic Material taught or learned.

Finally, what would you call a lore like a haunted house? What was that house before being haunted and becoming lore to that region or in history? Just a house. One day something happened, and from that day on it became lore. Who’s to say what your seeing isn’t exactly the same concept.

(edited by Geotherma.2395)

lordkrall.7241

Because it is not relevant to the context of the storyline. Had they posted something like the Mad King or Winsterdays which are actually LORES in the world of Tyria, then it would had not been a problem, but it make not sense for SAB.

There are lore behind the SAB.
Asura are inventors.
One Asura wanted to make a game
Said Asura made SAB and decided to test it on the inhabitants and visitors of Rata Sum.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

SirDrygan.1823

I am talking about SAB not Frost and Flame. It does not fit in the context of the storyline. Frost and Flame fits into the lore, but not SAB.

Mirta.5029

Because it is not relevant to the context of the storyline. Had they posted something like the Mad King or Winsterdays which are actually LORES in the world of Tyria, then it would had not been a problem, but it make no sense for SAB.

they created both games, yes? They introduced both Wintersday and Mad King in Guild Wars 1, yes? Before that what was Wintersday and Mad King? It didn’t exist. They created lore. Because it’s their world, they are free to create lore again. That’s what they did.

lordkrall.7241

I am talking about SAB not Frost and Flame. It does not fit in the context of the storyline. Frost and Flame fits into the lore, but not SAB.

But SAB have nothing to do with the Flame and Frost storyline.
Just like Flame and Frost have nothing to do with the Personal Storyline.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Geotherma.2395

Whos storyline? Yours? the story is “living”, evolving. How can you say that it is not part of the story or lore? Because it has no relevance in the past? What was the past when it was the present? At that point in time would you argue that , that very moment wasn’t part of lore because it hadn’t happened yet?

Geotherma.2395

they created both games, yes? They introduced both Wintersday and Mad King in Guild Wars 1, yes? Before that what was Wintersday and Mad King? It didn’t exist. They created lore. Because it’s their world, they are free to create lore again. That’s what they did.

^gets it.
I think some people have serious tunnel vision, or do not understand the concept of past,present, future. Unless your Einstein and don’t believe in that sort of thing, and think they are all interconnected. In which case, the point still stands either way.

The point people are trying to get through to you is:

You can create lore. you can do it TODAY. It can be lore tomorrow, or 1000 years from now. The concept of Time seems to elude you.

Posted by: interpol.2397

interpol.2397

I am really baffled by the fact that OP can’t understand that people can do whatever they want in their free time.
They didn’t want to make new lore-relevant serious things in their free time.
They wanted to make something fun and silly in their free time.

It just so happened that it was actually good enough to integrate into GW2.

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

You likely won’t get an answer from them because the overtone of the question is mostly negative.

You keep saying ‘wasting time’ and ‘wasting resources’ like you understand what their jobs are, what they are contractually obligated to create and release, their timeline and lore content better than them.

What makes you think they can even release more content related to Frost and Flame? How do you know NC Soft hasn’t given them a specific budget to spend on content labeled ‘Frost and Flame’ and a specific budget to spend on content labeled ‘Holiday’?

You really can’t state how much resources they have and how effectively they are distributing them because you know nothing about the inner workings of their development studio.

It’s fine to wish they had put time into lore or a better event, but why keep pressing this notion of ‘wasted resources’ when there is obviously many many people who are enjoying the content released?

Posted by: Heijincks.9267

Heijincks.9267

Because every little square inch of the game must fit the lore, or else it’s a waste of time.

Just because you don’t like the content does not mean it’s a “waste of time”. As far as I know, moving a little out of the way with SAB is actually helping the game, not hurting it. As far as “wasting time and resources” is concerned, I don’t think it is given that the critical reception for SAB has been overwhelmingly positive.

Posted by: Ryuujin.8236

Ryuujin.8236

For the people complaining it’s “not in the lore” – lore doesn’t have to exist from the beginning, it’s also created. Today’s actions are tomorrow’s history.

At the start of Guild Wars 1, there no golems as we know them for example!

The Asura perfected golems in the course of the war with the destroyers – an event we, the players witnessed. Prior to then, there were no automatons or artifical intelligence, no mechanical constructs; is it “out of character” for GW1 to have introduced golems?

Now, generations later (in the lore), golems are something we take for granted, in much the same way by GW3, the concept of “etherically driven virtual domains” or whatever the asura are calling the SAB’s software, will be a part of the lore we all take for granted as well – it won’t be out of character, because it was established in character during GW2

The Ashwalker – Ranger
Garnished Toast

SirDrygan.1823

Because every little square inch of the game must fit the lore, or else it’s a waste of time.

Just because you don’t like the content does not mean it’s a “waste of time”. As far as I know, moving a little out of the way with SAB is actually helping the game, not hurting it. As far as “wasting time and resources” is concerned, I don’t think it is given that the critical reception for SAB has been overwhelmingly positive.

I did not say I don’t like the content!!! I LOVE IT.

I only say it doesn’t FIT into the game! Hence the wasting resources and time on it! If I had hated the game, I would have been even more negative. The only thing I was negative about is not about how the devs did it in their free time or not what they did after work.
It is they put something out of context in the storyline that does not fit into the lore they are creating! Past, Present or Future!!!

lordkrall.7241

I only say it doesn’t FIT into the game! Hence the wasting resources and time on it! If I had hated the game, I would have been even more negative. The only thing I was negative about is not about how the devs did it in their free time or not what they did after work.
It is they put something out of context in the storyline that does not fit into the lore they are creating! Past, Present or Future!!!

But it DOES fit into the game.
Asura are inventors.
A specific Asura invented a game.
He allows people to play said game in Rata Sum.

How would it not fit into the lore?
We have massive airships and laser guns.
We have magic and massive dragons.
Why wouldn’t it be possible to have computer games?

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Geotherma.2395

Ok so since all your first points were moot now, the final point seems to be that the lore they created is not what you want it to be. So you are saying that you should be the one to decide what lore is and is not? I think you just explained the whole point of this thread.

Geotherma.2395

Summary~

Your Points:
1.“Why is Arenanet wasting resources on this? → https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/presenting-the-rytlocks-critter-rampage-game/

A. They didn’t it was voluntary and required no resources of arenanet on paid time.

2.“The time could be used to FIX bugs or ADD new stuff to the game.”

A.No it could not, because-
i. Was not on company time
ii. Was not done by the person who fixes bugs or adds things to the game

3."Even the Super Adventure Box is a WASTE of resources and time "

A. It created fun for a majority of players and even created revenue through gem store. Waste of time is your opinion, and while is allowed, is misdirected.

4.“when you all could use the time to MAKE CONTENT RELEVANT to the storyline on Tyria.”

A. Again, not the same people. Also, they do use their time to do so and they have people to do the managerial work for them, you are not one of these people.

5.“Make a new dragon appear or some new dynamic events that actually did PERMANENT change to the world of Tyria or something!”

A. Although i believe these people who did sab might be able to do this, again, not their job/not that team.

6.“Yes, the Molten Alliance storyline is cool and all, but if you all could just stop wasting time on making a Mario Brothers wannabe in 3D, you all could have make the Molten Alliance storyline even better.”

A. And this.. Well.. It was an April fools joke that gave a lot of happiness to many people and cash to support the game, which is needed for the content you speak of. So in essence, they DID create something to further the story. It is called revenue.

This concludes yet another drawn out thread that could have been answered/avoided in the first place had some serious thought been put into the worries of the player. I hope everyone has learned something here today.

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

Hey you kids at Arenanet! Stop makiing fun stuff!

And get off my lawn! Uphill! Both Ways! In the snow!

Posted by: wookie.8934

wookie.8934

I’m still waiting for class balance and S/TPVP to be in a halfway decent state.

As for the PVE carebears, let them farm.

Havok Legion [HL]
Fort Aspenwood

Posted by: killcannon.2576

killcannon.2576

I really didn’t want to get involved in this, kinda pointless. But…..

1. SAB was made by 15 or so people, not three. http://tinyurl.com/cb8ox8g
2. I have no clue where all these people work at, searched a couple on google, nothing turned up for a cursory examination. Unless you can somehow prove none of them work on anything else, your argument is sorta flawed.

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

I guess you’re trying to hurt someone’s feelings?

Posted by: wookie.8934

wookie.8934

I guess you’re trying to hurt someone’s feelings?

Not really lol.

Havok Legion [HL]
Fort Aspenwood

Mirta.5029

I really didn’t want to get involved in this, kinda pointless. But…..

1. SAB was made by 15 or so people, not three. http://tinyurl.com/cb8ox8g
2. I have no clue where all these people work at, searched a couple on google, nothing turned up for a cursory examination. Unless you can somehow prove none of them work on anything else, your argument is sorta flawed.

as far as I remember
1. Sab had 3 main people working on it, but the full team was 8. They have graduated into a living world team and allowed continued development. Before that they were an experimental team (like many) that create experimental content that may or may not get into the game

Posted by: Vaulken.6983

Vaulken.6983

I really liked the Super Adventure Box, the new one however I don’t like at all. AT. ALL.

Geotherma.2395

I really liked the Super Adventure Box, the new one however I don’t like at all. AT. ALL.

Play it on “logan mode” :P