We devour content, Sorry Dev's.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

I’m reading another thread about not enough end game content. Which has me thinking, we really are way too hard core in how we devour content. There’s no way any developer can keep up with us. In this, I’d like to apologize to all the Dev’s. You have to put up with a lot from us. Hope we’re rewarding you enough for it

Now where’s my Angel Wing back piece!!!!!

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

Posted by: War Siren.2346

War Siren.2346

Brown Noses and lying to yourself doesn’t get the Dev’s to give you things just saying. :P

Now if you truly enjoy the joke of “Endgame content” then hey kudos, a lot of us don’t (I realize some of you do.) However, I’m at mind to think that you may not actually know what endgame content is supposed to be, and that’s why you’re happy.. but hey if I’m wrong and you enjoy the half hearted attempts they give us, kudos.

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

That’s why I tell people it’s foolish to hate on ‘grinding’ or ‘farming’

It’s impossble to plan, design and implement content which is new so that everyday you encounter something new and different.

You pretty much have to introduce something new everyday which is just stupid.

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

Posted by: Peetee.9406

Peetee.9406

Players wouldn’t consume content so quickly if the systems in the game were better.

Kayku
[CDS] Caedas
Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: Stark.1350

Stark.1350

Brown Noses and lying to yourself doesn’t get the Dev’s to give you things just saying. :P

Now if you truly enjoy the joke of “Endgame content” then hey kudos, a lot of us don’t (I realize some of you do.) However, I’m at mind to think that you may not actually know what endgame content is supposed to be, and that’s why you’re happy.. but hey if I’m wrong and you enjoy the half hearted attempts they give us, kudos.

The only end game content in ANY MMO has been endless raids hoping for RNG gear.

This game doesn’t have that, for which I’m thankful.

Go play one that does and quit kittening.

Posted by: Arkham Creed.7358

Arkham Creed.7358

The only end game content in ANY MMO has been endless raids hoping for RNG gear.

Agreed. I starting playing the Guild Wars series because I didn’t want to be trapped in a Skinner Box. Compulsive gameplay isn’t good gameplay.

Posted by: Phaedryn.3698

Phaedryn.3698

So you are saying that GW2 has no end game content? After all if your assertion that “The only end game content in ANY MMO has been endless raids hoping for RNG gear” is true, then “This game doesn’t have that” would indicate that GW2 has no end game content, for which you seem to be thankful?

Stark.1350

So you are saying that GW2 has no end game content? After all if your assertion that “The only end game content in ANY MMO has been endless raids hoping for RNG gear” is true, then “This game doesn’t have that” would indicate that GW2 has no end game content, for which you seem to be thankful?

The entire game is the end. I don’t know why you people are so jaded. I have a great time with my guild. I have my legendary. I don’t feel FORCED to come on every raid night for hours in hopes my RNG weapon drops. I’m relaxed and enjoy things. Maybe I want to WvW one night. Or PvP. Or chill and play mini games. Or do a daily chest run. Do a dungeon path I haven’t explored. Or even a random guild event like a costume brawl race. Spend two evenings doing guild missions. For you hardcore nuts, this game just isn’t for you.

Posted by: Astraea.6075

Astraea.6075

@War Siren:
It is my belief that the whole concept of “endgame content” is flawed, and furthermore that the design of GW2 is influenced by a desire to move away from this idea.

In my experience with other MMOs, endgame content is there to keep people playing once they have burned through the lower level content (or enough low-level content to reach max level). New raids, dungeons, gear, zones, etc. that are gated behind level (or gear) requirements that are popular for a while until the next round of endgame content is released.

I think that the devs are attempting to create game content that can be experienced at whatever level you happen to be. Yes, there are still areas of the game that are gated behind level requirements (zones and dungeons), but in general the philosophy seems to be to make content that can be enjoyed by as many people as possible.

Arkham Creed.7358

Is that really so hard to understand? I came to Guild Wars to get away from that crap. I don’t like having to raid five nights a week just to keep my gear current. I don’t like having to pretend to like a bunch of elitist min/max jerks because their guild does runs 2% faster. I don’t like the idea of “falling behind” because I got a few more hours at work some week.

I’m a grown man with a real life; I don’t have time for endgame. And don’t want to waste what little leisure time I do have with repetitive, boring grind and having to deal with a bunch of children who think they’re better than me because they don’t have real lives and can afford to spend fifty hours a week raiding.

Posted by: Oofta.8036

Oofta.8036

I would think that all the “Hard Core” would be thankful that all the “Casuals” are flocking to this game so they don’t taint the other games with their joy and carefree ways.

I agree with the OP though in that I have enjoyed my time here much more than in the many other games I’ve played all the way back to EQ. EQ was new and exciting back then but that wore off after about 2 years. I hope that doesn’t happen here.

Posted by: Aeonblade.8709

Aeonblade.8709

At least everyone is admitting it now.

Anarai Aeonblade [GASM] – Guardian – DB
RIP my fair Engi and Ranger, you will be missed.

Phaedryn.3698

The entire game is the end. I don’t know why you people are so jaded. I have a great time with my guild. I have my legendary. I don’t feel FORCED to come on every raid night for hours in hopes my RNG weapon drops. I’m relaxed and enjoy things. Maybe I want to WvW one night. Or PvP. Or chill and play mini games. Or do a daily chest run. Do a dungeon path I haven’t explored. Or even a random guild event like a costume brawl race. Spend two evenings doing guild missions. For you hardcore nuts, this game just isn’t for you.

The reason you are confused is in this sentance “I don’t feel FORCED to come on every raid night for hours in hopes my RNG weapon drops”

Guess what, I don’t either…I do those thing because, gasp, I ENJOY doing them. That’sd the problem with people like you, you assume everyone likes the same things and cannot get it through your heads we don’t.

“I’m relaxed and enjoy things. Maybe I want to WvW one night. Or PvP. Or chill and play mini games. Or do a daily chest run. Do a dungeon path I haven’t explored. Or even a random guild event like a costume brawl race. Spend two evenings doing guild missions.”

Now, take that list and ADD “mindless killing while I joke with my friends on vent” to the list and you might start to understand the issue. Serisouly, people like you kitten me the kitten off.

(edited by Phaedryn.3698)

Posted by: Arisal.9740

Arisal.9740

Stark and Arkham Creed hit the nail on the head. This game is perfect for people that don’t have a lot of time. The thing is a lot of people have done the raiding thing in the past and to me that IS NOT endgame. It’s just some stupid RNG gear grind that I could care less about. This game has the endgame I was looking for. FUN.

Posted by: WolfOwl.3968

WolfOwl.3968

Players wouldn’t consume content so quickly if the systems in the game were better.

This one is hurting my head. Are you saying that if the content were better players would be slower at consuming it?

Or is this one of those “the game is too easy” comments?

“I think a man does what he can, until his destiny is revealed to him.”

Phaedryn.3698

Is that really so hard to understand? I came to Guild Wars to get away from that crap. I don’t like having to raid five nights a week just to keep my gear current. I don’t like having to pretend to like a bunch of elitist min/max jerks because their guild does runs 2% faster. I don’t like the idea of “falling behind” because I got a few more hours at work some week.

I’m a grown man with a real life; I don’t have time for endgame. And don’t want to waste what little leisure time I do have with repetitive, boring grind and having to deal with a bunch of children who think they’re better than me because they don’t have real lives and can afford to spend fifty hours a week raiding.

First the “I’m a grown man with a real life”. Really? You want to go there? I served 20 years in the military, got a degree in physics after I retired and currently work in the field of magnetic engineering. Do I get to call myself a “grown man with a real life yet”?

“I don’t like having to raid five nights a week just to keep my gear current.”

Then don’t.

“I don’t like having to pretend to like a bunch of elitist min/max jerks because their guild does runs 2% faster.”

Good, I wouldn’t either. The solution is simple, don’t do it.

“I don’t like the idea of “falling behind” because I got a few more hours at work some week.”

Awesome, we seem to be on the same page.

“And don’t want to waste what little leisure time I do have with repetitive, boring grind and having to deal with a bunch of children who think they’re better than me because they don’t have real lives and can afford to spend fifty hours a week raiding.”

Then don’t, nobody is suggesting you have to. More to the point I do not know of a single MMO where this would be true. Either you are WAY overly sensitive or just have horrid expectations. Not sure which, but given the hyperbole with which you phrased most of that comment I will have to go with over sensitive.

Phaedryn.3698

The reason you are confused is in this sentance “I don’t feel FORCED to come on every raid night for hours in hopes my RNG weapon drops”

Guess what, I don’t either…I do those thing because, gasp, I ENJOY doing them. That’sd the problem with people like you, you assume everyone likes the same things and cannot get it through your heads we don’t.

“I’m relaxed and enjoy things. Maybe I want to WvW one night. Or PvP. Or chill and play mini games. Or do a daily chest run. Do a dungeon path I haven’t explored. Or even a random guild event like a costume brawl race. Spend two evenings doing guild missions.”

Now, take that list and ADD “mindless killing while I joke with my friends on vent” to the list and you might start to understand the issue. Serisouly, people like you kitten me the kitten off.

So you like to raid 50 hours a week, and you’re playing a game with no raiding and no intention of adding raiding, and you’re kittening about it. LOL, you’re a tool.

I loved the part where you put words in my mouth and then insulted me for them!

lol…and I’m the tool…

Arkham Creed.7358

First the “I’m a grown man with a real life”. Really? You want to go there? I served 20 years in the military, got a degree in physics after I retired and currently work in the field of magnetic engineering. Do I get to call myself a “grown man with a real life yet”?

Then don’t.

“I don’t like having to pretend to like a bunch of elitist min/max jerks because their guild does runs 2% faster.”

“I don’t like the idea of “falling behind” because I got a few more hours at work some week.”

“And don’t want to waste what little leisure time I do have with repetitive, boring grind and having to deal with a bunch of children who think they’re better than me because they don’t have real lives and can afford to spend fifty hours a week raiding.”

Then don’t, nobody is suggesting you have to. More to the point I do not know of a single MMO where this would be true. Either you are WAY overly sensitive or just have horrid expectations. Not sure which, but given the hyperbole with which you phrased most of that comment I will have to go with over sensitive.

I don’t do those things actually. That is why I chose to play a game that lacks the mechanics that typically encourage such things. If you want that kind of experience then I suggest you go play a game that offers it, Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2 are games for people that are tired of those old tropes. Further I don’t recall saying that you personally were anything, good or ill. Perhaps you are the oversensitive one. If you take general comments about the community of an unnamed game personally…..well, grown perhaps, but clearly not mature.

(edited by Arkham Creed.7358)

Phaedryn.3698

Then don’t.

I don’t do those things actually. That is why I chose to play a game that lacks the mechanics that typically encourage such things. If you want that kind of experience then I suggest you go play a game that offers it, Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2 are games for people that are tired of those old tropes.

You are still making massive assumptions (that are wrong BTW). I haven’t done any “raiding” like activity since I left wow (a month after the release of WotLK). But I guess I shouldn’t be surprised that you point of view is so limited given some of your other responses Ive read.

Stark.1350

So you like to raid 50 hours a week, and you’re playing a game with no raiding and no intention of adding raiding, and you’re kittening about it. LOL, you’re a tool.

I loved the part where you put words in my mouth and then insulted me for them!

lol…and I’m the tool…

I’m putting words in your mouth? You stated you like to raid 50 hours a week. I stated the only “end game” in any MMO has been raiding gear grinds, to which you chase me as me admitting there’s no “end game”, something you’re clearly unhappy with. Please keep opening your mouth, this is amusing.

Posted by: pricer.5091

pricer.5091

By definition a game that doesn’t have end-game but only “game” needs to add new and interesting “game” far faster than is occurring. Or people will go and find a new “game”…which may or may not contain “end game”.

But once people run out of “game”…thats when people disappear. And that really is “end OF game”.

Unless of course you are happy doing the same things repeatedly day after day with no concept of boredom. In which case you should become an accountant. See, theres a place for everyone under the sun.

Arkham Creed.7358

Then don’t.

I don’t do those things actually. That is why I chose to play a game that lacks the mechanics that typically encourage such things. If you want that kind of experience then I suggest you go play a game that offers it, Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2 are games for people that are tired of those old tropes.

You are still making massive assumptions (that are wrong BTW). I haven’t done any “raiding” like activity since I left wow (a month after the release of WotLK). But I guess I shouldn’t be surprised that you point of view is so limited given some of your other responses Ive read.

Again I haven’t said anything about you personally one way or the other. You are the one making assumptions and taking general comments personally. That says more about your role in this thread than any post I could make, so I’m just going to ignore you now rather than contribute to further derailing the topic.

Phaedryn.3698

Never mind, this thread is a pointless as the game is becoming.

Thankfully Eve still holds some interest.

(edited by Phaedryn.3698)

Posted by: Krosslite.1950

Krosslite.1950

I’m reading another thread about not enough end game content. Which has me thinking, we really are way too hard core in how we devour content. There’s no way any developer can keep up with us. In this, I’d like to apologize to all the Dev’s. You have to put up with a lot from us. Hope we’re rewarding you enough for it

Now where’s my Angel Wing back piece!!!!!

If folks would read the living stories and special events like Dragon Bash are part of the end-game content

Warriors are those who choose to stand between their enemy and all that he loves or hold sacred

Posted by: Harlekin.2981

Harlekin.2981

I love the end-game style of GW2 I really love it.
I feel sorry for the people that can´t appreciate it.
Maybe one day ANet will manage to put in a raid-like experience without forcing people to grind so everyone´s happy. Till that happens, you might want to try other games or twink GW2.

WolfOwl.3968

GW2 not having “endgame” content is one of the reasons I bought the game. I dislike (mostly) the step-ladder mentality of some MMO’s where you have to grind/repeat such-and-such dungeon to get into this dungeon, and the same with raid content.

Eventually the devs have to release content that mostly only satisfies the hardcore player, who is only content for a short time until they clear said content.

GW2 has room to experiment with content that doesn’t cater to that mold, and I’m looking forward to see if they can live up to that kind of promise. (Not a literal promise from Anet or anyone, btw, for those who take statements like this too literal.)

Posted by: Lighter.5631

Lighter.5631

but i thought after i got to 80, all i do is dungeons, fotm hope for rng gear and farm more dungeons :o tell me im doing it wrong.

“i think it’s an underserved nerf. now we have to slot a stun breaker??”
“berserker stance clears all CC on you and you’re still immune to CC for 8 seconds”
-Excalibur.9748

Posted by: Lighter.5631

Lighter.5631

Maybe one day ANet will manage to put in a raid-like experience without forcing people to grind so everyone´s happy. Till that happens, you might want to try other games or twink GW2.

ofc, more skins. so its not forcing, because all the same stats! lololol

“i think it’s an underserved nerf. now we have to slot a stun breaker??”
“berserker stance clears all CC on you and you’re still immune to CC for 8 seconds”
-Excalibur.9748

War Siren.2346

I was going to chime in to defend my stance, but Phaedryn has it covered.

Eh I’m gonna do it anyways. Adding options for play is never going to hurt a game, it’s only going t improve it and add more to do. I work 90-100 hours a week on easy weeks, and I have a life, yet I find time to enjoy raiding and end game content in other games when I play them, I also manage to not fall to horribly behind, and still have a very active social life with my other gaming buddies (we play a lot of table tops and RPGs etc.) which requires me to not be online. But in other games I play I still manage to stay caught up, spend time with my friends, spend time with my family, and work.. and when a week comes that I don’t feel like raiding.. I don’t, I wave it off.

So I’m sorry Stark and Arkham Creed, that you’ve had bad experiences in other games and now you feel that these features would make you feel obligated to do them (and let’s be honest with GW2’s loot system it wouldn’t you can ding 80 and be in full exotics 10 minutes later in this game.) All it would add is a higher tier of play for people that enjoy large scale cooperative PvE play experience that requires skill and strategy vs, the mindless zerg fest of the world bosses.

Posted by: Harlekin.2981

Harlekin.2981

eeeeehm what?

Posted by: Elodie.3850

Elodie.3850

I work 90-100 hours a week on easy weeks

Wut?

7 days = 168 hours o.o

Arkham Creed.7358

And there is the key to this whole mess. Personally I wouldn’t care if they added a full on raid system to keep the hardcore players happy, so long as its all cosmetic. This is why I don’t have an issue with Fractals in spite of the fact that I personally hate the dungeon, and refuse to set foot inside because I am philosophically opposed to any content that only exists to be endlessly repeated. I don’t like it, and will never do it, but it doesn’t hurt me to not do it. I don’t have to listen to people complain and badmouth me because I don’t have ascended gear, and nothing gained in that dungeon is really of any use to me at all.

As long as there is no advantage to doing it, or penalty for not doing it, Arena Net can add any kind of content they want on top of their current design and I for one won’t have a negative thing to say to them.

pricer.5091

Er, you know a week only has 168 hours in it? And if you work 100 you only have 68 left? Of those 68 even assuming you only slept 5 hours a day, thats another 35 hours gone leaving you 33, which is not a lot by anyones standards and if you dont work in your house you must be travelling. Do you eat…lets assume yes. Toilet? Most likely. You probably have less then 10 hours free a week and yet you raid, stay up to to date with games and still have a rewarding social life?

You must share your secrets. Im amazed.

Arkham Creed.7358

Er, you know a week only has 168 hours in it? And if you work 100 you only have 68 left? Of those 68 even assuming you only slept 5 hours a day, thats another 35 hours gone leaving you 33, which is not a lot by anyones standards and if you dont work in your house you must be travelling. Do you eat…lets assume yes. Toilet? Most likely. You probably have less then 10 hours free a week and yet you raid, stay up to to date with games and still have a rewarding social life?

The secret is trolling; you can say whatever you want and it is actually more effective if it doesn’t make sense.

Either that or someone is just really, really bad at math.

War Siren.2346

Wut?

7 days = 168 hours o.o

I meant every 2 weeks, I’m a kitten . average work week is 45 to 50. Though some weeks do go as high as 75.

War Siren.2346

The secret is trolling; you can say whatever you want and it is actually more effective if it doesn’t make sense.

Or weeks are blured together into Paychecks and they forgot to take their weird logic and convert it back to normal :P, as I said above I meant every 2 weeks.

Posted by: Elodie.3850

Elodie.3850

Wut?

7 days = 168 hours o.o

I meant every 2 weeks, I’m a kitten . average work week is 45 to 50. Though some weeks do go as high as 75.

Was gonna say.. XD When I was working the 70-80 hours a week range, I literally had little time to do anything but eat, sleep, and work. :p

pricer.5091

Or weeks are blured together into Paychecks

I can certainly sympathise with that feeling

Arkham Creed.7358

Or weeks are blured together into Paychecks and they forgot to take their weird logic and convert it back to normal :P, as I said above I meant every 2 weeks.

Okay, that makes sense. Consider my statement withdrawn.

War Siren.2346

And there is the key to this whole mess. Personally I wouldn’t care if they added a full on raid system to keep the hardcore players happy, so long as its all cosmetic. This is why I don’t have an issue with Fractals in spite of the fact that I personally hate the dungeon, and refuse to set foot inside because I am philosophically opposed to any content that only exists to be endlessly repeated. I don’t like it, and will never do it, but it doesn’t hurt me to not do it. I don’t have to listen to people complain and badmouth me because I don’t have ascended gear, and nothing gained in that dungeon is really of any use to me at all.

As long as there is no advantage to doing it, or penalty for not doing it, Arena Net can add any kind of content they want on top of their current design and I for one won’t have a negative thing to say to them.

If you take 2 seconds to look at my posting history, as I don’t post a lot. Whenever I have asked for raiding it has been, with the drops being purely cosmetic skins. I’m not looking for a loot grind, just large scale team PvE play. Skins are more than cool to me.

WolfOwl.3968

If you take 2 seconds to look at my posting history, as I don’t post a lot. Whenever I have asked for raiding it has been, with the drops being purely cosmetic skins. I’m not looking for a loot grind, just large scale team PvE play. Skins are more than cool to me.

Seems to me that might actually kill 2 birds with one stone, have the raid content hardore (or even casual, who knows right?) and allow a method for finding new skins that isn’t buying RNG boxes.

Posted by: Grim.6415

Grim.6415

It’s funny, I was just thinking about having a hard time keeping up with all there is to do currently. Yeah I’m a casual by most standards probably only get about 8-10 hours a week to play GW2.

I took a break for about 4-5 months and came back in time to do the FnF content and now Southsun. Between completing all of the new content, trying to farm a skin, level an alt, work on my main’s dungeon armour set, do dailies for laurels, and thinking about fractals for ascended items… I really struggle to keep up with it all.

I’m just glad this is a game where I can fall behind in the content but still be able to tackle the hardest dungeon or other content if I so desire and not be gated behind a gear grind. I don’t make the time to Raid because to me it’s not a priority for me but I completely respect those that do.

To me I stopped playing WoW because I didn’t Raid and without that there wasn’t much I wanted to do. There were some 5 mans I participated in (dungeons like in GW2) but without needing to gear towards raiding I was just in it for the 5 man gear I wanted. Then when the 5 mans became pointless (only the most recent 5 mans are worth grinding for gear, the rest is old content not worth doing) it was literally go PvP or level an alt and that’s it. Not being interested in PvP I would have some new content when an expansion was released and that’s about it. Didn’t mesh well with me so I just stopped. Never complained on the WoW forums about it because I knew there was content considered endgame that I just wasn’t participating in. That’s on me, not the game.

That being said, you can claim there is no endgame in GW2 and not enough content but that likely just means you don’t prioritize the content GW2 has any more than I prioritize Raiding in WoW. If you’re inclined to participate in all the activities and content I’d say GW2 is doing as well in providing quantity of content as any other MMO. If you don’t participate in the content then that’s on you.

It’s just a different flavour of content and it tends to work better for myself personally.

Just my casual .02 cents

Posted by: ASaturnus.4980

ASaturnus.4980

Basically, there’s the same end game content in GW2 as in other MMOs: grind, lots of grind (and PvP).
It’s not possible to have end game content without grind. Whether you farm endless mobs or dungeons or whatever, you will always repeat the same content over and over until you have everything you want to have. Then either new content is released or you’re getting bored. And in every MMO there will be people that get everything they want to have faster than new content can be released. If you have any problem with this fact, you should not play MMOs.

Posted by: Blixxis.6798

Blixxis.6798

This game needs competitive PvE content. It has a great combat system and its PvE content is really bad. Just about every dungeon can be facerolled through in 20 mins skipping content or not, (fractals don’t count cause anyone that ran it up to Fractals 20+ is a gerbil on wheel). I think they should of made Path 3 in every dungeon 2 hours plus with addition rewards. I like Arah path 4 alot despite Dwayna. However there is alot in that path and this game that makes you say “how is this still like this after 9 months”.

I’m not saying this game needs raids i’m just saying at this point MMO’s like GW2 should be producing the best boss and dungeon encounters ever made in video games.

We see temporay content every month with half the new items posted for sale in the gem store. Molten Facility which featured a really good end fight had nothing in it except a small chance for a back piece or a pet. In a real MMO the fused weapon would of been in there.

Legendary weapons are made more for people that want to chase something but you can buy the mats and or buy the weapon straight up on the trading post (trade gems for gold).

This game has so much more potential. I know everyone is sick of hearing about WoW myself included and I know everyone always says “we need raids” but the truth is WoW made memorable fights and content.

The temp content we saw in the past month for southsun can be done in an hour. There is some stuff they do really will and keeps people playing like SAB, Fractals, but alot of this temp content I hate to say is crap or at least the flame and frost stuff is. People want more to do and instead of building onto the game there just releasing temp content so if you leave and come back in 2 years everything is the same.

Bottom line if they just filled the game with permanent content and good dungeons with reasons to play through them multiple times instead of this novelty crap people would be happy. They had a decent idea with Fractals but the difficulty should of only had 3 setting, normal, hard and ninja gaiden. Then add more fractals later.

Saying raids and gear grind is not constructive and is not for GW2 but there is other ways to keep people busy as we saw with SAB. Unfortunately for such a creative industry there doesn’t seem to be much creativity. I have to mention SWTOR. That game bombed so bad you can see the crater from space.

Most this games new content unfortunately does seem to be about gems.

Posted by: Erasculio.2914

Erasculio.2914

That’s why I tell people it’s foolish to hate on ‘grinding’ or ‘farming’

I it’s foolish to defend “grinding” or “farming”. It’s basically saying that it’s better to do content that isn’t fun in exchange for a meaningless reward than doing nothing. Or, in other words, it’s proving that not all human beings are humans, rather they are big rats happily living in Skinner boxes.

The idea that you need to be playing a game every day of every week for every month for the rest of your life is a lie told by pay-to-play MMORPG developers, who need players to do that in order to get rich. Unfortunatelly, the success of WoW taught developers that yes, there are enough addicts in the world to fall for that. The result is the often heard mentality of “a MMO cannot exist without grind”, which must sound like a dream come true to MMO developers.

Meanwhile, single player games need solid content, to keep players interested enough so they are willing to buy a sequel, and to keep themselves relevant over time by releasing additional content on the long run. That MMORPG players cannot understand how MMOs should follow this exact same model – which, incidentally, is what GW2 is trying to do – shows how MMOs are doomed to be always mediocre games, since that’s what their players want.

“I think that players are starting to mature past the point of wanting to be on that
treadmill, of being in that obvious pattern of every time I catch up you are going to
put another carrot in front of me” – Mike O’Brien right before Ascended weapons

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

It was advertised as having no end game content, or more technically, it was advertised as having the same content to do after you hit max level as you did while leveling. Maybe you should have paid more attention. This is what some of us want.

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

GG…… what happened here? Thank you all for posting. I have no idea how my little observation became this long thread. I was just pointing out that we consume content incredibly fast. I see I shouldn’t have used the words “end game” as it’s a subject you area all very passionate about….

:)

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

You can never have enough endgame, instead realise that there is no endgame. Only the Game.

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

Endgame is the point at which there’s only a few pieces left on the board, and to continue playing is usually trivial. Giving up is the expected course of action for the losing party. In MMO terms this means starting an alt once your character is fully geared.

Or to put MMO endgame into chess … every time you’re close to beating your opponent, he gets a new queen.

I like GW2. It’s possible to beat and alting is fun. This game has a real endgame.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

Endgame is the point at which there’s only a few pieces left on the board, and to continue playing is usually trivial. Giving up is the expected course of action for the losing party. In MMO terms this means starting an alt once your character is fully geared.

Or to put MMO endgame into chess … every time you’re close to beating your opponent, he gets a new queen.

I like GW2. It’s possible to beat and alting is fun. This game has a real endgame.

I was badly paraphrasing the matrix because I find the obsession with “endgame” fascinating. I think GW 2 has the only endgame that could possibly hold me. I love creating my own goals and I love seeing the game from the perspective of an alt, so it is perfect for my playstyle

Gunnar’s Hold