"We don't want you to grind" Oh realy?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Dogblaster.6713

Dogblaster.6713

MMORPGs always involve farming, repeating content. ALWAYS.

Farming is not synonymous with grind.

Repeating content is not synonymous with grind.

The replay value of content is something MMOs need to be concerned about for what should be obvious reasons.

If grind is to be avoided, I think this game needs to have its replay value increased quite a bit.

Arenanet never said there is no grind involved in Guild Wars 2.

I believe, “We don’t make grindy games” is the direct quote?

They said you dont have to grind/farm to be on pair with everyone else (stat wise)

Which doesn’t appear as though it’ll be the case for me, and I’ve already put a lot of time into this game. The game’s replay value is going to run out before I get “geared up”. And I won’t grind. So that’ll be the end of the road for me, unless some serious adjustments are made.

Whatever I just hopes Areanet see how many players already have Legenary weapons and Ascended gear and just ignore the rest lazy or unpatient players who complains about everything.

Cya guys, my last post at this post.

(edited by Dogblaster.6713)

Posted by: holska.4127

holska.4127

It’s only a grind if you make it one, there’s different ways to enjoy games than only from getting shineys.

Hahahahahah! That’s rich.

You have to grind if you want to get any sort of reward this century. Ascended items are a massive grind, around 100+ hours of nothing but hardcore grinding for a single item (or double that for an infused version).

“Just playing” you probably won’t even ever afford an exotic set at current prices, much less be able to get cosmetic items or Ascended gear.

Got full exotics and didn’t grind nor farm. Didn’t even run a single dungeon. Bought the armour with karma I acquired while exploring the world, bought 2 exotic weaps with badges of honor, crafted the jewelry.
In total I’ve banked 120G according to the gold hoarder achievement, all acquired while just enjoying the game and selling any drops I couldn’t use.

edit: forgot to mention I have a second character at level 80, he’s got 1 exotic weap, so far 2 exotic armour pcs. and 1 exotic jewelry pce. acquired in the same way as mentioned above.

And also I don’t play this game for rewards but for fun, I’m not the skritt type of player.

(edited by holska.4127)

Posted by: ChairGraveyard.2967

ChairGraveyard.2967

It’s only a grind if you make it one, there’s different ways to enjoy games than only from getting shineys.

You have to grind if you want to get any sort of reward this century. Ascended items are a massive grind, around 100+ hours of nothing but hardcore grinding for a single item (or double that for an infused version).

“Just playing” you probably won’t even ever afford an exotic set at current prices, much less be able to get cosmetic items or Ascended gear.

uuuhhh. Ran fractals 3 times, already have vial of the mists and able to make one ascended item… I don’t see the grind here.
Exotics are 10 – 15 gold for the whose set, if you were gathering while leveling and not spending your money like crazy you should be able to afford it.

Oh yeah, so I suppose you got 50 ectos, 250 T6 mats and 1350 fractal relics from 3 FotM runs too?

Oh wait, no you didn’t, so you’re just ignoring the massive grind for the sake of being disingenuous and supporting your objectively wrong point.

Let’s avoid blatantly lying about stuff that can easily be proven.

Posted by: Volomon.9147

Volomon.9147

3. Play the game normally, and collect what’s needed over a long period of time.

Play the game normally, what does this even mean?

I am confused about what this, how does it work? How do you play the game “normally”?

If you do 100% map completion you won’t get all the 250 stacks of t6 mats you need. Not even close. What other “normal” stuff is there to do? Wander around in Orr? Kill Jormag 1,000,000x? Stand around bored in LA?

Hey good luck with making your OWN mmorpg I would definitely play that one, infinite content. Every day new dungeon, every day new map and story

Nice. I am really looking forward

It looks to me that you never played any mmorpg before. MMORPGs always involve farming, repeating content. ALWAYS. And many people enjoy it, like myself.

Arenanet never said there is no grind involved in Guild Wars 2. They said you dont have to grind/farm to be on pair with everyone else (stat wise) but if you want the best, the most unique and the most rare weapon (Legendary) you have to WORK HARD for it.

So please try to understand this.

I’ve played a lot of MMOs numbering into the 50+, and these kind of comments come from the stinking bodies of dying MMOs. It’s that desperate hope and longing for something to live. That denial of the facts, that tell you when a MMO is really under siege. I’ve seen these kinds of posts before, and I see them popping up all over this board. Those posts of denial, all the way up until they pull the plug.

I’ve played plenty of games and MMOs and I’ve seen these kind of posts springing up on very lively and currently still alive MMOs. It’s kind of like “the end of the world is coming” people in reality. All decide to yell “the sky is falling”, when it isn’t. Having in mind that Guild Wars 2 is now considered the most popular MMO after WoW, I would say that even if we lost a lot of our player base it could still live on. It would have less servers, yes, but that’s about the impact that it would have.

I haven’t, in 20 years. Often your right there is always doomsayers, but usually the entire forum isn’t dedicated to that, unless it really is doomed. I’ve seen very cheery (see: delusional) boards go down. CoH comes to mind, though I suppose that MMO was successful it just got old. Warhammer comes to mind as well, I suppose that exactly wasn’t doomed, it however is not it’s former self. The devs of Warhammer never did address any of the players concerns either…sort of like GW2. So maybe GW2 will live on only because of it’s powerful backer NCsoft.

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

Are you guys realty to the point of being that cynical to think they want you to buy gems purely for gold? If so i think your lost on all games yes they make these games for profit but they also put a lot of work into them they WANT there game to be good and fun have you never made any thing in your life that you put years of work into only to want to smash it after your done? What you call grind are things you DO NOT need to do you can do them if you want but the game is playable with out. And that the problem ppl want there to be something imposable to work to it keeps the game fresh in ppl minds and gives something to work for in the very long run. If any thing the grind that you keep saying there is is due to your own faults you cant wait for something you must have it NOW.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Posted by: Hydrophidian.4319

Hydrophidian.4319

It’s not about making obtainment easier.

It’s about making the path to obtainment more engaging, so that we don’t even notice how long the path is.

If obtaining X is intended to take a year, then there better be enough content to keep me entertained for that year. Otherwise, forget X, and I won’t be around for the next paid expansion.

Legendary weapons are supposed to be crafted by around 5% total player base. Why should Arenanet spend tons of money to create some unique content for 5% of player base? That is riddiculous.

Legendary weapons are just UNIQUE WEAPONS. They are not content, they are not story involved, nothing .. You go for it only when you want the super uber skin, but you need to put required effort in !!

I don’t really give a fig about the Legendary tier. This issue extends well beyond the Legendary tier.

This isn’t a terribly difficult problem to understand.

From what I’ve been seeing, the replay value of the game is not deep or extended enough to support the instituted requirements for many items in the game. For the majority of players, gameplay will become stale long before those requirements are met.

That is an invitation to grind.

A good example that’s already been cited is dungeon armor. I highly doubt the novelty of playing thru a dungeon, even with multiple paths available, is significant enough to keep it entertaining throughout the entire process of earning enough currency to buy its associated armor. Even if one were to spread out the runs over the course of a year or more.

Ultimately, I don’t much care. I’ve already gotten my money’s worth out of this game.

But the assertion that this game isn’t “grindy” is becoming, to me, kind of a joke? It’s asking me to grind all over the place. I just won’t do it.

Posted by: Fuz.5621

Fuz.5621

As of right now legendary weapons are mandatory simply because they will always be best in slot no matter what.

Do you realize that when they’ll raise the level cap (and/or add new legendaries), which they already said they will with an expansion, current legendaries will be totally useless, right?

Posted by: masztipapa.7519

masztipapa.7519

Yes, they r doin the opposite of what they should do and even i know that without the paper for it. Anet decrease everything that is farmed in any way to prevent grind which makes more grind… Its wrong in many ways to nerf legendary gain since those mats r not legendary unique, in fact they r not only used for exotics but ascended as well now, 3 item ranks with 1 math tier of low rate drop, so wrong…

Posted by: alcopaul.2156

alcopaul.2156

3. Play the game normally, and collect what’s needed over a long period of time.

I am confused about what this, how does it work? How do you play the game “normally”?

If you do 100% map completion you won’t get all the 250 stacks of t6 mats you need. Not even close. What other “normal” stuff is there to do? Wander around in Orr? Kill Jormag 1,000,000x? Stand around bored in LA?

Hey good luck with making your OWN mmorpg I would definitely play that one, infinite content. Every day new dungeon, every day new map and story

It looks to me that you never played any mmorpg before. MMORPGs always involve farming, repeating content. ALWAYS. And many people enjoy it, like myself.

Arenanet never said there is no grind involved in Guild Wars 2. They said you dont have to grind/farm to be on pair with everyone else (stat wise) but if you want the best, the most unique and the most rare weapon (Legendary) you have to WORK HARD for it.

wow, i must work hard now in a game that suppose to be an escape from real life work?

Hydrophidian.4319

Do you realize that when they’ll raise the level cap (and/or add new legendaries), which they already said they will with an expansion, current legendaries will be totally useless, right?

That has not been the stated design intent.

Items of the Legendary tier are intended to always be BIS. That’s been explicitly stated.

Posted by: masztipapa.7519

masztipapa.7519

As of right now legendary weapons are mandatory simply because they will always be best in slot no matter what.

Already stated that legendaries will remain the best of all so id say pretty mandatory in long term play

holska.4127

Do you realize that this depends on the implementation that maybe even A.net isn’t sure about yet? they could scale existing weapons up and stuff like that.

And for the person you quoted: maybe mandatory for the type of player you are but I couldn’t care less if / when I’ll get my legendary and I haven’t even thought about repeatedly running FotM to start on the ascended stuffs. Also they already anounced that will be made available through other means as well and that they add it phased so that every has the time to acquire it? I’ll be lmao when I just get my ascended items a couple of months later than others by just doing whatever I enjoy and not worrying while those others repeated FotM ad nauseum for it.

Posted by: Nonlinear.9823

Nonlinear.9823

Well they said that they were planning on releasing Ascended with the other tiers at the start of the game, but it just wasn’t ready and that making it available only one way was a mistake, so they’re implementing all of the different ways of getting them.

And you believe them when they say this? What evidence is there that this is the case?

As it stands the game was not designed to have more than one upgrade slot on an item, hence the ham-fisted “baked in” stats on the ascended gear and the slot used for “infusion”. If Ascended was in the design since day one then ascended gear would have two slots, one for a standard upgrade plus an infusion slot.

And who wants an ascended weapon without a decent sigil or even being able to choose your sigil because the only slot is for infusions?

Yeah, but all this Ascended stuff was in the design doc since day 1 and wasn’t conjured up in panic to appease bored content locusts. Scout’s honor! Pinky swear!

It’s true, there’s a sucker born every minute.

Nonlinear.9823

Do you realize that this depends on the implementation that maybe even A.net isn’t sure about yet? they could scale existing weapons up and stuff like that.

No way brah, all this ascended crap is by design since day 1 ANet just didn’t feel it was right to release it at launch or some other lie they came up with to make you believe they didn’t create Ascended gear because some people whined about being bored and ANet panicked.

holska.4127

No way brah, all this ascended crap is by design since day 1 ANet just didn’t feel it was right to release it at launch or some other lie they came up with to make you believe they didn’t create Ascended gear because some people whined about being bored and ANet panicked.

Coughing up conspiracy theories must be one of your hobbies. If somebody changes an opinion or reacts to something in a different way than they done before, they’re always liars in your book? Then every person on earth is a liar.

alcopaul.2156

ever heard the word “excuse” or “alibi”?

if ascended items are intended in the release, you should see crafting/jewels accommodating this raising of tier. but no. look at how the item was designed.

this was just an adhoc addition. they’re just putting some icing on it.

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

uuuhhh. Ran fractals 3 times, already have vial of the mists and able to make one ascended item… I don’t see the grind here.
Exotics are 10 – 15 gold for the whose set, if you were gathering while leveling and not spending your money like crazy you should be able to afford it.

Oh yeah, so I suppose you got 50 ectos, 250 T6 mats and 1350 fractal relics from 3 FotM runs too?

Oh wait, no you didn’t, so you’re just ignoring the massive grind for the sake of being disingenuous and supporting your objectively wrong point.

by now I’ve bought 90 ectos. You know that exotics that I said I have? I crafted them for 3 chars. And like I said, gearing one char is 10 to 15 gold. I still managed to gear up 3 without grinding. 30 ectos per exotic set if you’re making it.
I have about 200 fractal relics by now, about enough to make one ring, like I said.
250 T6 mats? Are you making a legendary? So far I’ve seen no such qualification for an ascended ring. Google how to make one, it only requires things bought with fractal relics and a vial of the mists. Also some stuff bought with skill points. Easy enough to afford.

Posted by: Transistor.8746

Transistor.8746

They have Raids incoming and trinity type mechanics for Feb-march.

Source?

Mirta.5029

I’ve played a lot of MMOs numbering into the 50+, and these kind of comments come from the stinking bodies of dying MMOs. It’s that desperate hope and longing for something to live. That denial of the facts, that tell you when a MMO is really under siege. I’ve seen these kinds of posts before, and I see them popping up all over this board. Those posts of denial, all the way up until they pull the plug.

I’ve played plenty of games and MMOs and I’ve seen these kind of posts springing up on very lively and currently still alive MMOs. It’s kind of like “the end of the world is coming” people in reality. All decide to yell “the sky is falling”, when it isn’t. Having in mind that Guild Wars 2 is now considered the most popular MMO after WoW, I would say that even if we lost a lot of our player base it could still live on. It would have less servers, yes, but that’s about the impact that it would have.

I haven’t, in 20 years. Often your right there is always doomsayers, but usually the entire forum isn’t dedicated to that, unless it really is doomed. I’ve seen very cheery (see: delusional) boards go down. CoH comes to mind, though I suppose that MMO was successful it just got old. Warhammer comes to mind as well, I suppose that exactly wasn’t doomed, it however is not it’s former self. The devs of Warhammer never did address any of the players concerns either…sort of like GW2. So maybe GW2 will live on only because of it’s powerful backer NCsoft.

It might be the community these days. You know Kerbal space program? Some people actually decided to threaten the developers to already release the game, even though all have access to it and are able to buy it in the beta and receive plenty of free upgrades. There’s lots of whinny little kids around in forums even if there’s nothing to whine about.
I’m especially pessimistic about all this whining because not even a quarter of all players are on the forums. Most people of Guild Wars 2 are just quietly playing it.That’s why I personally don’t believe the predictions of “this game is going to fall”. It doesn’t look like it’s falling to me. It actually still looks quite lively. And having in mind how many servers it has all that can happen from a decrease in population the way that it is right now is server merge. That’s about all. Especially having in mind thata free to play MMO Perfect World generates enough money from just 2 servers to keep it going.

ChairGraveyard.2967

by now I’ve bought 90 ectos. You know that exotics that I said I have? I crafted them for 3 chars. And like I said, gearing one char is 10 to 15 gold. I still managed to gear up 3 without grinding. 30 ectos per exotic set if you’re making it.
I have about 200 fractal relics by now, about enough to make one ring, like I said.
250 T6 mats? Are you making a legendary? So far I’ve seen no such qualification for an ascended ring. Google how to make one, it only requires things bought with fractal relics and a vial of the mists. Also some stuff bought with skill points. Easy enough to afford.

Go look up the back piece, it requires 50x ecto, 250 T6 mat, 1350 Fractal Relics and a Vial of Mists Essence.

Also, the rings aren’t even crafted, they’re RNG, and there’s no way in hell you bought 90 ectos off of money farmed from 3 fractal runs. You are full of it.

Posted by: Zeppelin.6832

Zeppelin.6832

Yes I have to say you are right. But things are getting worse since the lost shores patch.

As far as I was concerned, lost shores was the final nail in their coffin. After they made my level 80 exotics obsolete, there was no turning back. I deleted the characters and uninstalled the game.

Since lost shores (or the final insult as I like to call it) I haven’t even been mildly tempted to play again.

If you love grind ( I do not) there’s lots of Korean grinders out there that are way more fun anyway. The joke’s on them, because they’ll get no cash shop purchases from me now.

The “final” nail in their coffin? lol

1 content patch and game = dead? Yeah right. And exotics are obsolete? Good job trying to find an ascend chest piece.

Mirta.5029

Well they said that they were planning on releasing Ascended with the other tiers at the start of the game, but it just wasn’t ready and that making it available only one way was a mistake, so they’re implementing all of the different ways of getting them.

And you believe them when they say this? What evidence is there that this is the case?

As it stands the game was not designed to have more than one upgrade slot on an item, hence the ham-fisted “baked in” stats on the ascended gear and the slot used for “infusion”. If Ascended was in the design since day one then ascended gear would have two slots, one for a standard upgrade plus an infusion slot.

And who wants an ascended weapon without a decent sigil or even being able to choose your sigil because the only slot is for infusions?

Yeah, but all this Ascended stuff was in the design doc since day 1 and wasn’t conjured up in panic to appease bored content locusts. Scout’s honor! Pinky swear!

It’s true, there’s a sucker born every minute.

Why would I not believe them? They’re a good company that provided me with a decent game. They are still keeping Guild Wars 1 servers open. They seem to be managing their games okay. I don’t understand the whole uproar to begin with really.

Nonlinear.9823

Coughing up conspiracy theories must be one of your hobbies. If somebody changes an opinion or reacts to something in a different way than they done before, they’re always liars in your book? Then every person on earth is a liar.

No, just pointing out that the game was obviously designed with one upgrade slot per item in mind on a very fundamental level, hence why they couldn’t just up the stats on the item itself and throw in an second slot for the infusion.

I am assuming they did trinkets first because there aren’t runes or sigils associated with them, just simple stats they can add to the item as “baked in”. Now they are working out how to add both a sigil and an infusion or a rune and in infusion because with “baked in” sigils and runes and only the infusion slot the weapons and gear will be BORING.

If you believe that ascended gear was planned from the very beginning then I have a bridge you may be interested in.

Fuz.5621

Already stated that legendaries will remain the best of all so id say pretty mandatory in long term play

They stated that they will be on par with ascended weapons.

If they stated that they will be leveled up with the expansion, I would like to read that. Do you have a link to back up your claim?

Mirta.5029

Go look up the back piece, it requires 50x ecto, 250 T6 mat, 1350 Fractal Relics and a Vial of Mists Essence.

Also, the rings aren’t even crafted, they’re RNG, and there’s no way in hell you bought 90 ectos off of money farmed from 3 fractal runs. You are full of it.

I never said I farmed money from fractal runs for 90 ectos did I? I got it by reaching level 80 with 2 chars.

both are backpieces:
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Prototype_Fractal_Capacitor_
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/There_with_Yakkington:_A_Traveler's_Tale

1 Prototype Fractal Capacitor
1 Gift of Ascension
40 Crystal
1 Vial of Condensed Mists
Essence

versus

250 Vicious Claw
50 Glob of Ectoplasm
40 Crystal
Essence

one requires more money, the other one requires more fractal crystals. If I look at it the casual way and run fractals like from time to time, not every day, it plainly just pays to wait until I get enough fractal crystals. Simple.

alcopaul.2156

at least grinding in real life is fun

yes to real life.

ChairGraveyard.2967

I never said I farmed money from fractal runs for 90 ectos did I? I got it by reaching level 80 with 2 chars.

both are backpieces:
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Prototype_Fractal_Capacitor_
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/There_with_Yakkington:_A_Traveler's_Tale

1 Prototype Fractal Capacitor
1 Gift of Ascension
40 Crystal
Essence

versus

250 Vicious Claw
50 Glob of Ectoplasm
40 Crystal
Essence

one requires more money, the other one requires more fractal crystals. If I look at it the casual way and run fractals like from time to time, not every day, it plainly just pays to wait until I get enough fractal crystals. Simple.

You’re ignoring the other recipe for back pieces, which does not use a Gift of Ascension and takes the mats I mentioned.

And yeah, I have to say you are full of it claiming you farmed all the reqs for an Ascended back piece in 3 FotM runs. That is impossible. Try again.

Hydrophidian.4319

If they stated that they will be leveled up with the expansion, I would like to read that. Do you have a link to back up your claim?

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/linsey-murdock-unveils-new-high-end-ascended-gear/

Legendary items were always intended to be on par with other “best-in-slot” items. So fear not, all existing Legendary weapons, which are currently on par with Exotics, will be upgraded to be on par with Ascended weapons at the same time that we add Ascended weapons to the game. Thus Legendaries will remain “best-in-slot” items.

Emphasis mine.

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

Yes I have to say you are right. But things are getting worse since the lost shores patch.

As far as I was concerned, lost shores was the final nail in their coffin. After they made my level 80 exotics obsolete, there was no turning back. I deleted the characters and uninstalled the game.

Since lost shores (or the final insult as I like to call it) I haven’t even been mildly tempted to play again.

If you love grind ( I do not) there’s lots of Korean grinders out there that are way more fun anyway. The joke’s on them, because they’ll get no cash shop purchases from me now.

The “final” nail in their coffin? lol

1 content patch and game = dead? Yeah right. And exotics are obsolete? Good job trying to find an ascend chest piece.

Ppl like to say the sky is falling at the slight hit at “they do not like one small thing” its very sad i must say. The big thing they leave out are the ppl who like the things that they hate and feel only there view is the important one.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

ChairGraveyard.2967

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/linsey-murdock-unveils-new-high-end-ascended-gear/

Legendary items were always intended to be on par with other “best-in-slot” items. So fear not, all existing Legendary weapons, which are currently on par with Exotics, will be upgraded to be on par with Ascended weapons at the same time that we add Ascended weapons to the game. Thus Legendaries will remain “best-in-slot” items.

Emphasis mine.

ArenaNet doesn’t have a lot of credibility. Going by this logic, exotic were supposed to be best in slot and they went ahead and threw that down the toilet.

I’m not inclined to believe anything they say unless it’s actually honest (i.e., “We’re putting in more grind! We’re nerfing all the drops! Buy more gems.”).

They’ve also already mentioned they would be raising the level cap eventually. Unless they’re planning on upgrading legendaries by 5-10 levels (or however many they increase it), which would be weird, they won’t remain the best in slot items after the level cap increase.

The things they are claiming are contradictory. Also, their credibility is in the toilet (due to their own actions), so it’s very hard to take anything they say even remotely seriously. We’ve been shown they have no problem just making things up/lying about stuff and later doing whatever they want, to the detriment of the game (unless you want to try and argue that everyone playing FotM and the rest of the game being empty is a good thing, lol).

Posted by: Spike Firebrand.8943

Spike Firebrand.8943

Lol well technically it does make sense.

“We don’t want you to grind”

~Nerfs farmable thingy~

“There, now you won’t grind.” =p

True very very true
See GW2 wasn’t supposed to be a game where u guys grind so please stop farming for things as farming means grinding this nerf is free rehabilitation

I and MANY MANY others will be happy to stop farming/grinding as soon as required gear stops costs 300 ecots and 250 T6 mats per PIECE. Oh and before you start with assended gear is not required crap. Yes IT IS.

Hydrophidian.4319

ArenaNet doesn’t have a lot of credibility.

Be that as it may, the design intent’s been stated.

Though your view is lent credence, I think, by the fact that the post that includes the statement is not listed in the site’s news archives.

They’ve also already mentioned they would be raising the level cap eventually. Unless they’re planning on upgrading legendaries by 5-10 levels (or however many they increase it), which would be weird, they won’t remain the best in slot items after the level cap increase.

At which point, the stated design intent would be directly contradicted. But that’s still currently the stated design intent.

Given the level of investment that Legendaries are intended to require, I don’t see it as being all that odd if a benefit of having one is that it will remain BIS thoughout the game’s evolution.

I do think that rendering them obsolete would be… very, very bad.

Issues with ANet’s credibility aside, I’d be surprised if the studio took that route. I think such a move could potentially sink the franchise inside of a month or two.

Posted by: Valento.9852

Valento.9852

They could put seasonal stuff to help progress towards the legendary, like every month a season of farming (at a normal drop rate) some items, like the season of icebrood hunting, season of praying to the spirits of the wild… if they want to make it a long-term accomplishment, don’t do so by adding freaking lot of farming.

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

Posted by: Genesis.5169

Genesis.5169

We will stop grinding when.

1. We nolonger want to be the best.
2. When kitten becomes less expensive.
3. When kitten becomes alot less expensive.
4. When kitten becomes reasonably priced.

Till then ima grind 5hours a day every day till i get to my goal.
Then run around in LA with my legendaries with all you guys saying in your minds he looks pretty cool i wish i had that.

Also stealth nerfs what i haven’t noticed anything.

These forums are a joke its not for opinions or debate its just a safe place for people to cry at.

Posted by: Vermillion Hawk.9037

Vermillion Hawk.9037

I want ALL the cake and I want to eat it all too. On a silver platter while you’re at it.

Grand Master of The Knights Hospitaller [STJ]
Isle of Janthir – Sylvari Mesmer – Alexandre Le Grande

ChairGraveyard.2967

ArenaNet doesn’t have a lot of credibility.

Be that as it may, the design intent’s been stated.

Though your view is lent credence, I think, by the fact that the post that includes the statement is not listed in the site’s news archives.

At which point, the stated design intent would be directly contradicted. But that’s still currently the stated design intent.

Given the level of investment that Legendaries are intended to require, I don’t see it as being all that odd if a benefit of having one is that it will remain BIS thoughout the game’s evolution.

I do think that rendering them obsolete would be… very, very bad.

Issues with ANet’s credibility aside, I’d be surprised if the studio took that route. I think such a move could potentially sink the franchise inside of a month or two.

Fair enough, I think I can agree with that somewhat. It’s just that I don’t put much stock in them not contradicting themselves given how badly they’ve ruined their credibility.

Also, I definitely think it would be odd to simply bump legendaries up by 10 levels or whatever, rather than introducing the “new level 90” legendaries or whatnot (more grind = more people potentially buying gems to circumvent the huge grind).

So yeah, they said they’ll remain best in slot through any new tier additions, but they haven’t specifically addressed what happens to legendaries when they up the level cap. And as we know from the recent AMA, we have to pay attention more to what they don’t say, than what they do. And as I’m sure we’ll be hearing later on “They never said they wouldn’t introduce new level 90 legendaries.”

It could go either way, for sure, but given ArenaNet’s seeming love for poor decisions, I would not be surprised if we got “new level 90” legendaries when the level cap is increased.

I want ALL the cake and I want to eat it all too. On a silver platter while you’re at it.

I thought we were done vomiting this tired pathetic straw man up in every thread? Guess not. Fail.

(edited by ChairGraveyard.2967)

Posted by: IonicBlaze.7948

IonicBlaze.7948

Items of the Legendary tier are intended to always be BIS. That’s been explicitly stated.

Thats true, but the new lvl 100 leg will be much better than the lvl 80….and it WILL come, cause A-Net chose the grindfestway…

The spirit of Guild Wars died on Nov. 13 2012. R.I.P.

Fuz.5621

Emphasis mine.

He talks about ascends, doesn’t talk about future expansions.
Soooooo… let me be skeptic. Especially considering the statements on vertical progression, before & after.

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

ArenaNet doesn’t have a lot of credibility. Going by this logic, exotic were supposed to be best in slot and they went ahead and threw that down the toilet.

I’m not inclined to believe anything they say unless it’s actually honest (i.e., “We’re putting in more grind! We’re nerfing all the drops! Buy more gems.”).

Okay, I’m trying to get my head around this. ArenaNet doesn’t have a lot of credibility, so whatever they say must be carefully examined . . . unless it’s exactly what you want to hear. In which case it must be true.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: stof.9341

stof.9341

Where do you get your crafting recipes? My sets cost 70 ectos. 6 armor parts, three weapons and 5 trinkets.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Level 80 legendary will be always BiS… for a level 80. That doesn’t mean there won’t be level 90 legendaries.
Of course, they might do exactly that, and keep bumping them not only in tiers, but also in levels. If so, then Legendaries are definitely not optional for only 5% of game population, but mandatory for anyone that is interested in long-term play.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Yumiko Ishida.3769

Yumiko Ishida.3769

Its should be, “We don’t want you to grind for YOUR grind!”

Yumiko Emi Ishida 80 Ele, Hikari Kyoko Ishida 80 Guard TC-NA. Active RPer of NA megaserver.

Posted by: Myst.9182

Myst.9182

In the latest patch, steeltide got stealth nerf. I have to say good job….you don’t want us to farm, and you keep nerfing every single money/material source. What’s the point for this? t6 materials for a legendary is just insane if you want to buy it from TP. If you continue to do this, I’ll realy consider buying further expansions…..also fix your game don’t do content patches in every month, no point in it.

Nerfs are because a lot of people are gaining gold far too quickly and thereby ruining the economy. Creates a big divide between the people that know the “tricks” and people that don’t. Suddenly, you have 50% of the population not being able to afford things on TP, while the other 50% boast about how easy it is to get money and slander those players who are struggling.

Once you start playing to “pay the bills” it’s the begining of the end. For those that are rich, they will never see the problem. But they are killing the game with a slow death.

Personally, if I play and have fun, but don’t get enough gold to “keep up with the curve” then I will eventually quit. Repeating Steeltide, over and over isn’t fun, it’s grinding. Anet promised that this game would not be like that.

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

Right now I’m grinding just as much if not more as I did in WoW to get a good full set of Berserker exotic gear.

I got one of the rare mats for an ascended item from a FotM run, which is hilarious since there’s no way in hell I’ll ever have the 50 ectos and 250 powerful blood to make the item I want from it.

Dogblaster.6713

Level 80 legendary will be always BiS… for a level 80. That doesn’t mean there won’t be level 90 legendaries.
Of course, they might do exactly that, and keep bumping them not only in tiers, but also in levels. If so, then Legendaries are definitely not optional for only 5% of game population, but mandatory for anyone that is interested in long-term play.

Mandatory, not mandatory … Legendary are the most unique, rare and prestigue weapons in Guild Wars 2 EVER. If you plan to play for more than 2+ years what you expect ? You expect to craft this awesome looking weapon only in 1-2 months? YOu want 10 legendaries or what?

They are okey as they are now. Expensive as hell and also rare, unique and prestigue as hell. Exactly what they should be.

Doesnt matter if they will be only cosmetics or BiS.
Even if they were BiS as you said .. then it should take even more effort than now, you should sum up every ascended weapons released in the future, their effort required and then multiply it several times. Because Legendary worth 10x more …
So if one ascended weapon should take you month to craft and there are going to be 5 datadisc, Legendary weapons should take: 5(number of datadics)x1 month(required effort for one ascended weapon) x ‘’5?’’(Because its Legendary weapon) aaand here is how long it should take you to craft Legendary.

So if Legendary are going to be BiS and as you said mandatory (dont have to grind EVER again for next 5-10? years) .. It should take even more than one year to Achive such a mighty weapon.

Other mmorpgs have unique armors, weapons that can take up to 2-3 years to obtain. Legendaries in Guild Wars 2 are already kinda easy compared to another mmorpgs. Sadly

And you know that Legendary weapons WONT have Infusions slots? The main reason you want Ascended weapons btw …

Dogblaster.6713

In the latest patch, steeltide got stealth nerf. I have to say good job….you don’t want us to farm, and you keep nerfing every single money/material source. What’s the point for this? t6 materials for a legendary is just insane if you want to buy it from TP. If you continue to do this, I’ll realy consider buying further expansions…..also fix your game don’t do content patches in every month, no point in it.

Nerfs are because a lot of people are gaining gold far too quickly and thereby ruining the economy. Creates a big divide between the people that know the “tricks” and people that don’t. Suddenly, you have 50% of the population not being able to afford things on TP, while the other 50% boast about how easy it is to get money and slander those players who are struggling.

Once you start playing to “pay the bills” it’s the begining of the end. For those that are rich, they will never see the problem. But they are killing the game with a slow death.

Personally, if I play and have fun, but don’t get enough gold to “keep up with the curve” then I will eventually quit. Repeating Steeltide, over and over isn’t fun, it’s grinding. Anet promised that this game would not be like that.

prices are stable now or even lower than few days ago

You ll see another small drops in prices soon, you bet.

Posted by: Erasculio.2914

Erasculio.2914

It’s a pity that the irony in the OP will be lost. Making a title saying “‘We don’t want you to grind’ Oh realy?” and following it with a post basically saying “Why aren’t you allowing me to grind?” is great.

OP, if you like to grind, you should be happy. ArenaNet is making you grind longer, and since you enjoy it, you get to spend more time doing what you enjoy doing.

If you do not like to grind… Why are you asking ArenaNet to allow you to grind? You should be asking them to reduce the grind in the game, not to allow you to grind.

Grind is bad for the game. The moment you give players the impression that playing 10 hours a day every day is anything other than unhealthy behavior which would soon lead to real life issues, it becomes extremely bad for the players, too. Making it easier to farm would only keep the grind there; the change needs to be bigger than that.

“I think that players are starting to mature past the point of wanting to be on that
treadmill, of being in that obvious pattern of every time I catch up you are going to
put another carrot in front of me” – Mike O’Brien right before Ascended weapons

Mirta.5029

Where do you get your crafting recipes? My sets cost 70 ectos. 6 armor parts, three weapons and 5 trinkets.

I was responsible for crafting armor only. Therefore 30 ectos. My boyfriend crafts the weapons and jewelry. We share the work load this way. Also my armor includes squishy armors only. I don’t know if you need more for a non squishy armor.

Also I found a fun way to make money on my alts. Jumping puzzles. If a jumping puzzle spawns a silver doubloon (happened 2 times today, out of 6 jumping puzzles), that is instant 80 silver. If you raise your magic find up, it spawns exotics sometimes. There’s over 100 jumping puzzles and repeating it daily is so worth it.

(edited by Mirta.5029)

Posted by: Garack.1843

Garack.1843

Anyone ever think Legendaries are meant to be a grind and are implemented for those who enjoy doing so? No? Just me… Okay finds door hits self with door on way out by mistake

Posted by: redknight.8036

redknight.8036

Well…we don’t want you to grind..

We want you to use your credit cards.

Honestly though, the change in drop rate is strange. No one is complaining about them. I just don’t feel it is a problem.