"We don't want you to grind" Oh realy?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: nofo.8469

nofo.8469

Anyone ever think Legendaries are meant to be a grind and are implemented for those who enjoy doing so? No? Just me… Okay finds door hits self with door on way out by mistake

Yeah, legendaries were a massive optional grind.

Nobody wants to play a sub-par character. The moment I had to choose between sub-par character or several hundred (thousand?) dungeon runs I decided to drop this game.

Some people enjoy it, some people don’t, not going to knock the people who enjoy it but this game was marketed towards the people who don’t.

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

Anyone ever think Legendaries are meant to be a grind and are implemented for those who enjoy doing so? No? Just me… Okay finds door hits self with door on way out by mistake

Nobody wants to play a sub-par character. The moment I had to choose between sub-par character or several hundred (thousand?) dungeon runs I decided to drop this game.

Some people enjoy it, some people don’t, not going to knock the people who enjoy it but this game was marketed towards the people who don’t.

Good would you stop posting here then?
Legendarily has nothing to do with being sub-par or not its a look thing and even if they do buff them there going to be a version that any one can get with out the cool looks.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Posted by: ChairGraveyard.2967

ChairGraveyard.2967

Legendarily has nothing to do with being sub-par or not its a look thing and even if they do buff them there going to be a version that any one can get with out the cool looks.

He’s talking about Ascended. He was fine with Legendary, not fine with Ascended, as Legendary was always supposed to be the cosmetic grind for those that wanted it.

At least try to understand the person you’re responding to.

Posted by: Gnatoay.7581

Gnatoay.7581

The whole point of these nerfs, which are intentional without a doubt, is that you spend more rl money on their piece of crap gem store. No subs so they have to sucker you in some how.

Very transparent, but not very smart. People don’t spend money on a game they don’t enjoy.

I agree with you 120% on this but I’m just saying what their sick mind state is. The “devs” have taken a game with such great potential and turned it into a piece of stinking crap.

u gotta edit ur post mate, u havent seen the worst of games and fortunately gw2 isnt one of them

Day in, Day out; Grinding

nofo.8469

I post here because I care about this game I once enjoyed, sorry not going anywhere.

Did you even read my post though? Seriously? When did I say legendaries are mandatory? In fact I’m pretty sure I said they were optional because they were in line with top end gear at the time.

They will buff legendaries when ascended weapons are released, and yes anyone will be able to get them just like anyone can get all the current ascended items.

Posted by: rancidstick.2704

rancidstick.2704

In the latest patch, steeltide got stealth nerf. I have to say good job….you don’t want us to farm, and you keep nerfing every single money/material source. What’s the point for this? t6 materials for a legendary is just insane if you want to buy it from TP. If you continue to do this, I’ll realy consider buying further expansions…..also fix your game don’t do content patches in every month, no point in it.

Nerfs are because a lot of people are gaining gold far too quickly and thereby ruining the economy. Creates a big divide between the people that know the “tricks” and people that don’t. Suddenly, you have 50% of the population not being able to afford things on TP, while the other 50% boast about how easy it is to get money and slander those players who are struggling.

Once you start playing to “pay the bills” it’s the begining of the end. For those that are rich, they will never see the problem. But they are killing the game with a slow death.

Personally, if I play and have fun, but don’t get enough gold to “keep up with the curve” then I will eventually quit. Repeating Steeltide, over and over isn’t fun, it’s grinding. Anet promised that this game would not be like that.

All these changes do nothing except screw over new players or those who didn’t grind/no life their way for 3 months.

Jski.6180

He’s talking about Ascended. He was fine with Legendary, not fine with Ascended, as Legendary was always supposed to be the cosmetic grind for those that wanted it.

He should point out that he was talking about Ascended because it implies that Legendaryes are the only thing he talking about as things stand. Point being made about Ascended if you can some how only make a person off 2 rings and one back then yes with out them your sub-par but you CANT make a person just off 3 items there still more to be added more rings back and others and as things stand it still up in the air how hard or not hard these items will be.

[/quote]

I post here because I care about this game I once enjoyed, sorry not going anywhere.

Did you even read my post though? Seriously? When did I say legendaries are mandatory? In fact I’m pretty sure I said they were optional because they were in line with top end gear at the time.

They will buff legendaries when ascended weapons are released, and yes anyone will be able to get them just like anyone can get all the current ascended items.
[/quote]

So from that point of view why did you drop the game?
Meh that did not work well sry @nofo.8469

(edited by Jski.6180)

Posted by: Zappix.7928

Zappix.7928

I think when I kill a bunch of enemies (via farming or killing them during DE’s) I should be rewarded with at least some drops.. That’s not happening, I understand both arguments. Yes a Legendary shouldn’t be achieved in a month but if I’m out there killing enemies and investing my time I would really like some acknowledgement of that in the form of a decent return (as many others would I’m sure). You can throw names at me like entitled, spoilt whatever. When there is no incentive there is really no point. There’s an 11 page thread which has been ignored addressing the problems with loot drops. I’m not a farmer and I don’t spend 10 hours per day sitting in front of my computer. For the time that I do spend in front of it playing Guild Wars 2 I would love to get a return on what I’m doing in game. That’s not happening and it’s not happening for many other players as evident by that 11 page thread..

Posted by: Hellkaiser.6025

Hellkaiser.6025

He should point out that he was talking about Ascended because it implies that Legendaryes are the only thing he talking about as things stand. Point being made about Ascended if you can some how only make a person off 2 rings and one back then yes with out them your sub-par but you CANT make a person just off 3 items there still more to be added more rings back and others and as things stand it still up in the air how hard or not hard these items will be.

You almost had the quote code right, but adding in / after the [ denotes the END of a quotation hence [/quote] minus the / is the start and with is the end.

For many, the only real horizontal progression worth their time would have been legendary weapons. However one glance at their crafting materials, and one venture towards farming some of them would lead you quickly to the conclusion that it’s a massive pain in the rear to attempt to get one. I’m not going to claim that this means you should get your credit card out and buy one, heaven forbid. But it does indicate that a lot of players who don’t want to recreate their auctions of auctioncraft gameplay experience would be put off, also those that didn’t want to WVWVW would be thrown in there at some point and all in this time, there’s a grind that sucks the life from players…

the problem with legendary weapons is not “are they or are they not optional” it’s that the option to choose to try for one is fraught with RNG and farming as well as grind and repetition and weeks if not months, it’s just not worth it.

People will argue falsely that it’s a “pvp game” but that’s not an excuse, they’ll say I’m stupid, wrong or just bias but ultimately I looked at the legendary weapons and just rolled my eyes and ignored them meaning I am actively not engaging in something I would normally should it be better structured and balanced.

Irony…. xD

Jski.6180

No room for quote
@Hellkaiser.6025

Thx for the info about quoiting let me see if i can come at this from point to point.
The thing is you can get these items with out T6 mats and the cost of these mats are falling as ppl find new ways to get them because there are ways to get every thing beyond just simply one zone farming that was going on when the game first came out (3 months ago). The big thing a lot of ppl miss is any game with some type of wvw system in it makes it a point to be a major part of the game over all. In GW2 WvW is part of pve its not true pvp its more of a player controlled environment vs a computer program environment.
The big thing about daily and monthly is that they are counter grinding tools they are not causing grinding at all. In some ways they taking the ability to grind these rings by making them daily only that may be what making ppl more unhappy then the idea that they have to put a bit more time in to the game then they wanted.
The thing is this game is 2 games in one part is pvp with spvp and the other part pve is well pve and wvw. What you seem to leave out is that the game been out for just 3 months there just been no time for the game to adapted to the players or even to the pc ppl are running. What is wrong is that we have games that have been out for years WoW is the best example of this its been out for 8 years but for some reason every game that just comes out ppl think these games should have as much if not more content then games that have been out for 8 YEARS. So these games must have something to do that take up time so the first new events must take up time but these things can seem as if you MUST do them but there is no need because they are most like going to add in many other ways to get these items. Do you truly thing fractal going to be the last thing they are going to add to this game?

Posted by: Valento.9852

Valento.9852

No room for quote
@Hellkaiser.6025

Thx for the info about quoiting let me see if i can come at this from point to point.
The thing is you can get these items with out T6 mats and the cost of these mats are falling as ppl find new ways to get them because there are ways to get every thing beyond just simply one zone farming that was going on when the game first came out (3 months ago). The big thing a lot of ppl miss is any game with some type of wvw system in it makes it a point to be a major part of the game over all. In GW2 WvW is part of pve its not true pvp its more of a player controlled environment vs a computer program environment.
The big thing about daily and monthly is that they are counter grinding tools they are not causing grinding at all. In some ways they taking the ability to grind these rings by making them daily only that may be what making ppl more unhappy then the idea that they have to put a bit more time in to the game then they wanted.
The thing is this game is 2 games in one part is pvp with spvp and the other part pve is well pve and wvw. What you seem to leave out is that the game been out for just 3 months there just been no time for the game to adapted to the players or even to the pc ppl are running. What is wrong is that we have games that have been out for years WoW is the best example of this its been out for 8 years but for some reason every game that just comes out ppl think these games should have as much if not more content then games that have been out for 8 YEARS. So these games must have something to do that take up time so the first new events must take up time but these things can seem as if you MUST do them but there is no need because they are most like going to add in many other ways to get these items. Do you truly thing fractal going to be the last thing they are going to add to this game?

I just… don’t have words.

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

nofo.8469

You almost had the quote code right, but adding in / after the [ denotes the END of a quotation hence [/!quote] minus the / is the start and with is the end.

For many, the only real horizontal progression worth their time would have been legendary weapons. However one glance at their crafting materials, and one venture towards farming some of them would lead you quickly to the conclusion that it’s a massive pain in the rear to attempt to get one. I’m not going to claim that this means you should get your credit card out and buy one, heaven forbid. But it does indicate that a lot of players who don’t want to recreate their auctions of auctioncraft gameplay experience would be put off, also those that didn’t want to WVWVW would be thrown in there at some point and all in this time, there’s a grind that sucks the life from players…

the problem with legendary weapons is not “are they or are they not optional” it’s that the option to choose to try for one is fraught with RNG and farming as well as grind and repetition and weeks if not months, it’s just not worth it.

People will argue falsely that it’s a “pvp game” but that’s not an excuse, they’ll say I’m stupid, wrong or just bias but ultimately I looked at the legendary weapons and just rolled my eyes and ignored them meaning I am actively not engaging in something I would normally should it be better structured and balanced.

Wasn’t worth it to you, or me for that matter, but to some people grinding legendary mats was worth it.

Some people enjoyed it though, or felt the need to get that extra bling to show off and this implementation worked for them, if its too grindy for you its just not for you, you aren’t being punished for it so I don’t see the problem. The same can’t be said for ascended gear.

The “It’s a PvP game” argument would hold weight if it actually was a PvP game. The only form of PvP that ANet seems to push is SPvP which very few people actually play as its basically a bad version of world of warcraft battlegrounds which wasn’t very good in the first place.

This is a PvE game through and through, the only issue most have with this (aside from the manifesto and advertising indicating otherwise) is that the grind is generally not as rewarding, and honestly less “fun” than other MMO’s that it is in direct competition with.

I put fun in quotes because I generally do not like grinding at all, however I did spend some time in WoW progression raiding which was pretty nightmarish, but at least I felt a sense of progression there.

edit: rofl your quote guide screwed my quotes up

Jski.6180

Wasn’t worth it to you, or me for that matter, but to some people grinding legendary mats was worth it.

Some people enjoyed it though, or felt the need to get that extra bling to show off and this implementation worked for them, if its too grindy for you its just not for you, you aren’t being punished for it so I don’t see the problem. The same can’t be said for ascended gear.

The “It’s a PvP game” argument would hold weight if it actually was a PvP game. The only form of PvP that ANet seems to push is SPvP which very few people actually play as its basically a bad version of world of warcraft battlegrounds which wasn’t very good in the first place.

This is a PvE game through and through, the only issue most have with this (aside from the manifesto and advertising indicating otherwise) is that the grind is generally not as rewarding, and honestly less “fun” than other MMO’s that it is in direct competition with.

I put fun in quotes because I generally do not like grinding at all, however I did spend some time in WoW progression raiding which was pretty nightmarish, but at least I felt a sense of progression there.

I will never go after the legendary weapons and gear but i will go after the other gear that is = to it in use but not as good looking. Less of the cool guy buff lol. I think the new gear is great for my type of play i only need to run 1 to 2 events a day to work for on the rings and back but i am the type that likes to make things last. That the major thing about the new gear its something that every one can get it just takes a bit more time even exotic gear takes a good bit of time or to be in the right places at the right time karma gear. Its like ppl are shooting them self in the foot by hating the new gear because it give you a chose for the players who do not want to live only in GW2.

Ok lets get on what is a grind in your view my is fighting the same 3 mobs in the same zone for days on end of play time. Now if you feel that doing the same event more then once is a grind then your view is going to be that EVERY game is grind only because that what games are. There are no games out there that you do the same event only once. Should you get a full set from CoF by running the story once? A game that wants to keep ppl playing must have something that must be done more then once.

The thing is pvp in WoW is played a lot just the same and GW2 seems to be much different because you can counter any thing in the game just by rolling. This is a mostly action game that set it apart in pvp from most of the major pvp games out there now.

Grind IS fun that the idea of games you do work that is some what hard (not to the point of imposable) and you get something for it even if its a name or a star what ppl are looking for is getting something done. That what gaming is about to crate an illusion that your DOING something. The thing that set mmo apart from most games is you can get something done and other know of it and its less of a illusion and more of a real life thing.

WoW is an old game and its got a lot of ppl still playing it but its the same thing over and over some times games need to be put down for a time to let your self get out of that games mind set. If you played WoW or any game for well over 2 years every other game looks like crap or just another version of that game.

The major thing you must ask your self when you post these things is do you want GW2 to fail as a game? How do you think this would effect the makers of GW1 ArenaNet? Do you want ArenaNet to die as a game maker?
WHAT DO YOU WANT? Not what do you not want but what do you want?

Also on a lighter note mahaha my quotes will destroy yours!

Posted by: Xandax.1753

Xandax.1753

As of right now legendary weapons are mandatory simply because they will always be best in slot no matter what.

Do you realize that when they’ll raise the level cap (and/or add new legendaries), which they already said they will with an expansion, current legendaries will be totally useless, right?

Already stated that legendaries will remain the best of all so id say pretty mandatory in long term play

Remember, they also stated they didn’t want you to grind

Posted by: Xandax.1753

Xandax.1753

Similar for me.
When I was able to buy exotic gear for karma earned in WvW, or WvW badges, I was very fine with the philosophy behind the game.

Then it changed pretty much over night as I downloaded the patch. I have run FotM once – it was enough for me.

Posted by: Sui.2586

Sui.2586

3. Play the game normally, and collect what’s needed over a long period of time.

Play the game normally, what does this even mean?

I am confused about what this, how does it work? How do you play the game “normally”?

If you do 100% map completion you won’t get all the 250 stacks of t6 mats you need. Not even close. What other “normal” stuff is there to do? Wander around in Orr? Kill Jormag 1,000,000x? Stand around bored in LA?

Hey good luck with making your OWN mmorpg I would definitely play that one, infinite content. Every day new dungeon, every day new map and story

Nice. I am really looking forward

It looks to me that you never played any mmorpg before. MMORPGs always involve farming, repeating content. ALWAYS. And many people enjoy it, like myself.

Arenanet never said there is no grind involved in Guild Wars 2. They said you dont have to grind/farm to be on pair with everyone else (stat wise) but if you want the best, the most unique and the most rare weapon (Legendary) you have to WORK HARD for it.

So please try to understand this.

I’ve played a lot of MMOs numbering into the 50+, and these kind of comments come from the stinking bodies of dying MMOs. It’s that desperate hope and longing for something to live. That denial of the facts, that tell you when a MMO is really under siege. I’ve seen these kinds of posts before, and I see them popping up all over this board. Those posts of denial, all the way up until they pull the plug.

^^^ This ^^^
Warhammer and SW-TOR come to mind most recently for me. So much hope at the start, and as the weeks go on, and the communication dies, and the “it’s coming soon” starts up, the hope dwindles to the realization that the suits have killed another game.

Generation Gaming
Isle of Janthir

Posted by: endless.1376

endless.1376

There is absolutely no way to avoid grinding in an RPG. You have to grind through levels, quests/events, skill points, crafting levels, personal story missions, and more…

It is inevitable.

Posted by: Nabbis.5784

Nabbis.5784

There is absolutely no way to avoid grinding in an RPG. You have to grind through levels, quests/events, skill points, crafting levels, personal story missions, and more…

It is inevitable.

I have said it before and i will say it again. This is exactly what plagues the MMO genre.

Once again. Developers and players alike need to get the idea out of their kitten that the only lasting gameplay between patches is the one that has grindy elements in it.

Never mind the fact that this game was marketed for people who did not wish to spend excessive amounts of time on mundane tasks in order to enjoy oneself.

You like grind? Fine, but, why don you go play the other 100s of games that encorporate it and let us have our own game that was originally catered to us?

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

It is inevitable.

It’s not – introducing grind is just easier than making the game interesting.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Death Reincarnated.3570

Death Reincarnated.3570

You cannot completely remove grinding from any game. Otherwise the game would not offer long term goals for the player.

The problem is getting the balance right – i.e. grind/reward.

Proud member of Legion of Honour XIII

Do not click this link!

nofo.8469

You cannot completely remove grinding from any game. Otherwise the game would not offer long term goals for the player.

Partially incorrect.

The idea is to remove the grind but have long term progression.

People do not enjoy grinding, people do enjoy being rewarded however.

Take WoW for a PvE example, it’s less of a grind than this but it still feels highly rewarding.

Or take DAoC for a PvP example, not a grind but lots of long term progression through RR.

Posted by: stof.9341

stof.9341

Where do you get your crafting recipes? My sets cost 70 ectos. 6 armor parts, three weapons and 5 trinkets.

I was responsible for crafting armor only. Therefore 30 ectos. My boyfriend crafts the weapons and jewelry. We share the work load this way. Also my armor includes squishy armors only. I don’t know if you need more for a non squishy armor.

That answer doesn’t make sense XD You need 70 ectos for a full set of exotic gear, no matter what crafting profession you take. If you share the workload, you got two people to pay half the price to gear up one people only. At this point I’d say that getting a legendary is very easy. All you have to do is share the 1000g price among 1000 players. Surely getting 1g for a Legendary isn’t much effort is it?

Also I found a fun way to make money on my alts. Jumping puzzles. If a jumping puzzle spawns a silver doubloon (happened 2 times today, out of 6 jumping puzzles), that is instant 80 silver. If you raise your magic find up, it spawns exotics sometimes. There’s over 100 jumping puzzles and repeating it daily is so worth it.

Magic Find doesn’t improve chest items, only death drops.

(edited by stof.9341)

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Take WoW for a PvE example, it’s less of a grind than this but it still feels highly rewarding.

That is a very subjective statement. For me, WoW was a horrible grind. Getting a WoW purple was just “gearing up so you can continue to gear up.” When I left WoW, I swore I would never get into that gear up infinite loop again. To me, that is as pointless as it gets.

GW2, on the other hand, does not match up to GW1 in terms of rewards. The drop rates in general in GW1 were better, the desirable rare drops were heck of rare, but you could get gold by doing many different things. Farming in GW2 is not yet as fun or as lucrative as it was in GW1. Maybe that will change.

nofo.8469

That is a very subjective statement. For me, WoW was a horrible grind. Getting a WoW purple was just “gearing up so you can continue to gear up.” When I left WoW, I swore I would never get into that gear up infinite loop again. To me, that is as pointless as it gets.

GW2, on the other hand, does not match up to GW1 in terms of rewards. The drop rates in general in GW1 were better, the desirable rare drops were heck of rare, but you could get gold by doing many different things. Farming in GW2 is not yet as fun or as lucrative as it was in GW1. Maybe that will change.

True it is rather subjective. I’m talking about the post exotic gear grind in gw2, getting up to exotic was rewarding and not much of a grind at all.

Post-exo GW2 grind isn’t rewarding in the slightest and doesn’t hold a candle to their competition in the gear treadmill MMO sub-genre.

Posted by: Death Reincarnated.3570

Death Reincarnated.3570

Partially incorrect.

Or take DAoC for a PvP example, not a grind but lots of long term progression through RR.

People do not like long term repetitiveness – it gets boring. You still need to do same/similar tasks to obtain some of the long/longer term goals, however, there needs to be balance with the lengh (repetitiveness) of the “grind”.

Proud member of Legion of Honour XIII

Do not click this link!

Posted by: skotie.2614

skotie.2614

Farming wouldn’t feel so bad if every time you were about to harvest your crops to make a little progress in the game world Anet didn’t decide your farming technique was just too good and they didn’t intend on you being able to grow so much in such a short time period then proceed to take 90% of your harvest and say “bug fixed”

nofo.8469

Partially incorrect.

People do not like long term repetitiveness – it gets boring. You still need to do same/similar tasks to obtain some of the long/longer term goals, however, there needs to be balance with the lengh (repetitiveness) of the “grind”.

Exactly, if people do something that’s repetitive but enjoy it they won’t consider it a grind.

MMO’s do need a task that players can repeat and progress from but they still need to enjoy it otherwise it becomes a grind and eventually the players will get jaded and leave.

Prime example is the Diablo2 and Diablo3 comparison. Although they aren’t MMO’s they are structured similarly.

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

Similar for me.
When I was able to buy exotic gear for karma earned in WvW, or WvW badges, I was very fine with the philosophy behind the game.

Then it changed pretty much over night as I downloaded the patch. I have run FotM once – it was enough for me.

You can wait half a year until Ascended will actually be craftable/ buyable and got as loot from dragon events and then decide whether to get it or not. It doesn’t ruin the game for me at all, though I don’t know will I really want it. A pink item name is really pretty, but when difference between gears is so small, I’m not in much of a disadvantage without it.

Posted by: Hellkaiser.6025

Hellkaiser.6025

I’m not being punished no, I never made that claim as it would be preposterous.
No I’m merely stating that there’s nothing about the “extra” bling bling to draw me to it, and I LIKE progressive gameplay and gear progression, I have nothing against it so long as the path to get there doesn’t force me to play the game in ways that I don’t WANT to.

Right now, in order for me to grind the mats for a legendary (read: legen-dairy ie farm) I would have to get together a group to grind drops from orr, sometimes the events are bugged and that’s not even an option. And so on to the alternatives, I could perhaps play the market and earn gold that way via clever investing and whatnot… But as I stated I DO NOT want a return to the auctions of auctioncraft playstyle if this disqualifies me from another avenue to pursue then so be it, but then lets look at the OTHER alternatives, Buying gold either direct or via nefarious sources is out of the question the official gold is too expensive and the unofficial would get me banned and support a terrible group of people who need to all just stop wrecking games. There’s another gone, not to mention the forced map completion and/or WVWVW participation etc, and all in all even the devs themselves admit that the way you obtain legendary weapons is far from “legendary” or even enjoyable.

That’s a subjective opinion, but if the way you got them was more enjoyable and had more to do with playing the game not gaming the market or running around like a headless chicken I’d probably be more inclined to do it.
I’ve advocated the idea of different legendary weapons for different aspects of the game including one that is based around gaining gold via the market or something and others which are tied to wv and spvp which would denote you’ve mastered an aspect of the game enough to be considered legendary at it as opposed to this generic minor bling we see now which holds little weight to many other players.

Irony…. xD

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

Where do you get your crafting recipes? My sets cost 70 ectos. 6 armor parts, three weapons and 5 trinkets.

I was responsible for crafting armor only. Therefore 30 ectos. My boyfriend crafts the weapons and jewelry. We share the work load this way. Also my armor includes squishy armors only. I don’t know if you need more for a non squishy armor.

That answer doesn’t make sense XD You need 70 ectos for a full set of exotic gear, no matter what crafting profession you take. If you share the workload, you got two people to pay half the price to gear up one people only. At this point I’d say that getting a legendary is very easy. All you have to do is share the 1000g price among 1000 players. Surely getting 1g for a Legendary isn’t much effort is it?

Well if you never took jewelcrafting and weaponsmithing, you won’t be able to make those will you?
When it comes to tailoring. Full set:
Explorer’s Intricate Gossamer Insignia X 6
(5 glob of ectoplasm
5 vicious claws
20 spools of gossamer thread
5 bolts of gossamer)
+
about 15 gossamer bolt more
+
4 cured hardened leather squares or so

Therefore armor wise it is only 30 ecto per person. Having in mind that I geared up 3 people for now, that makes it 90. So a bit over one person. Sharing workload kind of makes sense here. It’s not like I got weapons and jewelry for free. I payed for it in tailored armor and will continue to make tailored armor ifhe levels any more squishies. It’s not like everyone put 1G towards a legendary of one person. It’s more like one groupie is responsible for providing a 1000 of one mat instead of 250 and split it among 4 people, all concentrating into getting one mat only.

Posted by: proxy.7963

proxy.7963

I kinda feel that the current view of Legendaries is a little skewed in terms of perspective. To me, if an item takes a hundred hours of pure work to achieve, I wouldn’t sit down and pour that time into the game without ensuring that I’m also enjoying myself in doing so. If I felt that need, I wouldn’t play, or I’d dilute the work by taking breaks or taking part in other things happening in the game. I’d rather spend two hundred hours on a one hundred hour goal if this route was more enjoyable.

In that sense, I’m not even considering the effort I’d need to go to in order to get a Legendary at the moment. I don’t need one to enjoy the game and encouraging that sort of mindset is kinda toxic – there are plenty of concerns around the forums that the community of MMOs has a tendency towards elitism. I’d suggest people just play the game and, if they’re in the position to get a Legendary before they’re satisfied with what they’ve gained from playing, then grab one. Or maybe put a few more (dozen?) hours into getting one if you really want one. But if the journey is too hard and unappealing, then perhaps the goal isn’t enough?

Behold: Opinions!

Posted by: stof.9341

stof.9341

There’s no point saying “armor wise it is only 30 ecto per person” because gearing up in full exotic isn’t limited to the armor parts.

60-75 ectos for full set depending on weapon choice and profession. That’s the cost for a full exotic set.

Posted by: JULIASAURUS.5198

JULIASAURUS.5198

I kinda feel that the current view of Legendaries is a little skewed in terms of perspective. To me, if an item takes a hundred hours of pure work to achieve, I wouldn’t sit down and pour that time into the game without ensuring that I’m also enjoying myself in doing so. If I felt that need, I wouldn’t play, or I’d dilute the work by taking breaks or taking part in other things happening in the game. I’d rather spend two hundred hours on a one hundred hour goal if this route was more enjoyable.

In that sense, I’m not even considering the effort I’d need to go to in order to get a Legendary at the moment. I don’t need one to enjoy the game and encouraging that sort of mindset is kinda toxic – there are plenty of concerns around the forums that the community of MMOs has a tendency towards elitism. I’d suggest people just play the game and, if they’re in the position to get a Legendary before they’re satisfied with what they’ve gained from playing, then grab one. Or maybe put a few more (dozen?) hours into getting one if you really want one. But if the journey is too hard and unappealing, then perhaps the goal isn’t enough?

Thats the thing, that most people will argue. I’ve have a 1000 hours played and I have been working for my legendary every single day. And I still don’t have it. I refuse to use a credit card. Like most people do. lol. But I want to feel the time I spent into the game was worth all that trouble. Ever since release.. And I’m not going to leech materials off other players because that isn’t fair. With the fact that I did farm day in and day out. Repeating dungeons. Throwing things in the mystic forge.. I’ve really tried hard to get it. At this point I just given up on trying to get it. Since it seems to be not going any where. So I’m just going to have to wait.

Posted by: Asglarek.8976

Asglarek.8976

@SHM, I respect your opinion though I can’t understand why you have deleted your characters, and uninstalled the game.

You clearly feel strongly enough about this game to troll it’s forums.

I am not a troll. I payed my money for this game. I deserve to have my voice heard. We were duped. Three weeks in they changed the game to something else enirely different than the game I payed for. They also duped us with the manifesto.

I’d be more than happy with a refund. Since they won’t do that. they have to live with the bad press. However, If you like the game then kudos. Odd though that you respect my opinion and call me a troll at the same time.

Voicing your discontent towards a game that you don’t play anymore is “pointless” though you have that right.. Reading some of your other post however, would lead me to think your purpose is to convince others to feel the way you do.

To change what others think is the heart and soul of protesting to change something you first have to convince others to think the way you do either by words or at the end of a smoking gun.

Posted by: Valento.9852

Valento.9852

I just don’t understand one thing: precursors. The devs ALREADY STATED that it was not intended that precursors would become so expensive, the rest of the legendary is surely doable, but grinding 300g for my precursor? You’re kittening kidding me, right?

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

nofo.8469

I’m not being punished no, I never made that claim as it would be preposterous.
No I’m merely stating that there’s nothing about the “extra” bling bling to draw me to it, and I LIKE progressive gameplay and gear progression, I have nothing against it so long as the path to get there doesn’t force me to play the game in ways that I don’t WANT to.

Right now, in order for me to grind the mats for a legendary (read: legen-dairy ie farm) I would have to get together a group to grind drops from orr, sometimes the events are bugged and that’s not even an option. And so on to the alternatives, I could perhaps play the market and earn gold that way via clever investing and whatnot… But as I stated I DO NOT want a return to the auctions of auctioncraft playstyle if this disqualifies me from another avenue to pursue then so be it, but then lets look at the OTHER alternatives, Buying gold either direct or via nefarious sources is out of the question the official gold is too expensive and the unofficial would get me banned and support a terrible group of people who need to all just stop wrecking games. There’s another gone, not to mention the forced map completion and/or WVWVW participation etc, and all in all even the devs themselves admit that the way you obtain legendary weapons is far from “legendary” or even enjoyable.

That’s a subjective opinion, but if the way you got them was more enjoyable and had more to do with playing the game not gaming the market or running around like a headless chicken I’d probably be more inclined to do it.
I’ve advocated the idea of different legendary weapons for different aspects of the game including one that is based around gaining gold via the market or something and others which are tied to wv and spvp which would denote you’ve mastered an aspect of the game enough to be considered legendary at it as opposed to this generic minor bling we see now which holds little weight to many other players.

Yeah, fair enough, each to their own, this game has potential for you imo because they will likely add more ways to get ascended gear if you are patient enough.

I on the other hand, came here for the WvW and found no progression to be had there, for the guild, server or myself. I do like progression however I don’t like it to be through gear, I would rather server leader-boards with guild/player rankings, benefits to winning WvW matches and some form of personal progression; even if it was titles alone.

You may not feel punished through ascended gear, but I do, if I don’t dedicate a few hours every day to this dungeon (something I do not enjoy) then my character will fall behind and not be competitive in WvW, and for the people who say there is no difference my guild ran small group WvW and I liked to roam a lot, trust me not having best gear makes a huge difference for that.

I must confess I did play the trading post to get my gold rather than do legit PvE, and I found that to be far more entertaining and profitable than running FotM.

If the game had fun ways to get the gear I wouldn’t have left, but as it stands at the moment I absolutely abhor the new dungeon and I feel spending several hundred hours in there to be competitive is an unacceptable level of “grind” in order to be competitive.

Read grind as doing something I do not particularly enjoy in order to do something I do enjoy better.

ie grinding levels, dungeon runs etc. The only differences between these examples and FotM is I found them more enjoyable, they had more variety, and they took less time.

Posted by: TWMagimay.9057

TWMagimay.9057

Yeah, fair enough, each to their own, this game has potential for you imo because they will likely add more ways to get ascended gear if you are patient enough.

I on the other hand, came here for the WvW and found no progression to be had there, for the guild, server or myself. I do like progression however I don’t like it to be through gear, I would rather server leader-boards with guild/player rankings, benefits to winning WvW matches and some form of personal progression; even if it was titles alone.

You may not feel punished through ascended gear, but I do, if I don’t dedicate a few hours every day to this dungeon (something I do not enjoy) then my character will fall behind and not be competitive in WvW, and for the people who say there is no difference my guild ran small group WvW and I liked to roam a lot, trust me not having best gear makes a huge difference for that.

I must confess I did play the trading post to get my gold rather than do legit PvE, and I found that to be far more entertaining and profitable than running FotM.

If the game had fun ways to get the gear I wouldn’t have left, but as it stands at the moment I absolutely abhor the new dungeon and I feel spending several hundred hours in there to be competitive is an unacceptable level of “grind” in order to be competitive.

Read grind as doing something I do not particularly enjoy in order to do something I do enjoy better.

ie grinding levels, dungeon runs etc. The only differences between these examples and FotM is I found them more enjoyable, they had more variety, and they took less time.

They did say ascended gear will also come for karma(aka, that thing you get in bulks in WvWvW). But I guess “I want the best and I want it now”-mentality is hard to battle. You almost made it sound like everybody in WvWvW is running in full ascended gear and roflstomping you on every corner. While most people don’t even have a single ascended item and those who have more than 1, likely don’t have time to even be i WvWvW to begin with. But, yeah, gotta QQ, thinking is for noobs, right?

nofo.8469

They did say ascended gear will also come for karma(aka, that thing you get in bulks in WvWvW). But I guess “I want the best and I want it now”-mentality is hard to battle. You almost made it sound like everybody in WvWvW is running in full ascended gear and roflstomping you on every corner. While most people don’t even have a single ascended item and those who have more than 1, likely don’t have time to even be i WvWvW to begin with. But, yeah, gotta QQ, thinking is for noobs, right?

Right.

I never made it sound like everyone is running around in full ascended, eventually maybe but not now.

I would be more than happy to do the grind if I enjoyed it at all, I do not.

They said ascended gear would be available through other means, and it will probably require as much of a grind as this otherwise they just made all that effort they put into the dungeon obsolete.

No, the reason I’m not thinking and QQing instead is the direction of the game, actions speak louder than words and the patch notes indicate this game is going in a very grind heavy direction.

Also, the exotic armor sets are available outside of dungeons, how’s that working for everybody? The karma set is alright but its limited in what stats you can get.

edit: They did say a lot of things, yes.

Posted by: proxy.7963

proxy.7963

Thats the thing, that most people will argue. I’ve have a 1000 hours played and I have been working for my legendary every single day. And I still don’t have it. I refuse to use a credit card. Like most people do. lol. But I want to feel the time I spent into the game was worth all that trouble. Ever since release.. And I’m not going to leech materials off other players because that isn’t fair. With the fact that I did farm day in and day out. Repeating dungeons. Throwing things in the mystic forge.. I’ve really tried hard to get it. At this point I just given up on trying to get it. Since it seems to be not going any where. So I’m just going to have to wait.

If that’s the case – if after 1000 hours of play, you still haven’t managed to reach your goal – then I’m more comfortable in accepting that the time vs. reward in gaining a Legendary might not be particularly balanced, provided that ANet doesn’t want folks relying on their credit cards and/or heavy use of the Trading Post (and they probably do, because that’s where they get their income from established players).

Granted that you might not be going about things in the most efficient way (and I have little doubt that everyone who currently has a Legendary has been incredibly efficient about things), if Legendaries are so tied to cash investment, I might go as far as to suggest that they should just have been purchasable skins and do away with the middle-man. But as I’ve said, getting one isn’t high on my list of things to do, and perhaps the satisfaction in getting one is all about overcoming the slog involved. I can’t help but wonder how long that satisfaction will last, though.

I’m patient but I’m no fan of grind and the rewards of the grind are largely not worth it for me. I’m cool with those who are just fine with the requirements of a Legendary, but I do get kinda anxious that they might regret it in the long run unless they’re actually enjoying the day-to-day experience and can treat the weapon as a long-term reward for that experience – more a bonus than anything. But as it stands, I’m not certain the system is set up to really allow that. Hopefully as the game matures, there will be more incentive for me to chase that goal and remain entertained throughout.

Behold: Opinions!

TWMagimay.9057

Right.

I never made it sound like everyone is running around in full ascended, eventually maybe but not now.

I would be more than happy to do the grind if I enjoyed it at all, I do not.

They said ascended gear would be available through other means, and it will probably require as much of a grind as this otherwise they just made all that effort they put into the dungeon obsolete.

No, the reason I’m not thinking and QQing instead is the direction of the game, actions speak louder than words and the patch notes indicate this game is going in a very grind heavy direction.

Also, the exotic armor sets are available outside of dungeons, how’s that working for everybody? The karma set is alright but its limited in what stats you can get.

edit: They did say a lot of things, yes.

Yes, actually you did. Remember that whole quitting the game because you don’t feel like you can compete without grind any more? Who exactly can’t you compete against? The people in exotic gear? yeah, that you never had a chance to begin with.

The dungeon gives more then just ascended gear, you know… Like, exotic/rare drops, obsidian shards, mats. It’s like saying other dungeons are obsolete, because you can get the stuff they drop from other places as well. Following that logic, everything would be obsolete as long as it’s not the only source of -insert item type here-. Obviously, that’s not the case.

What would that “very grindy direction” be? The introduction of a new gear tier? That would be obtainable throuugh different activities? I wonder if you even know what a “grind heavy” game looks like. Hint: GW2 is so far away from that, you can’t even see it with a telescope from here.

I have yet to meet a player without exotic set, so I guess it is working out pretty good. Oh, btw, there isn’t just 1 karma set, there are a few of them, with different stats. And then there is crafting.

Posted by: Hydrophidian.4319

Hydrophidian.4319

Grind, by definition, lacks enjoyment.

Repetition is not grind. Farming is not grind. A repetitive activity becomes a grind when the enjoyment derived from it ceases. It’s a grind when you’re not doing it for the fun of it anymore; you’re doing it only for the rewards involved. When it becomes a chore, that’s when it’s a grind.

The grind threshold varies from person to person. But what’s certain is that most people do have a threshold.

To the individual at ANet who claimed, “we don’t make grindy games,” I’d retort that they’re grossly overestimating the replay value of their content.

Posted by: Looria.8019

Looria.8019

A repetitive activity becomes a grind when the enjoyment derived from it ceases. It’s a grind when you’re not doing it for the fun of it anymore; you’re doing it only for the rewards involved.

So by definition 90% of GW2 is grind unless you enjoy griding itself. (cause then you are having fun while doing so and so its not grind anymore)

TWMagimay.9057

Can you quote the source of that definition?

Posted by: tonyl.5063

tonyl.5063

[quote=927534;TWMagimay.9057:
You almost made it sound like everybody in WvWvW is running in full ascended gear and roflstomping you on every corner. While most people don’t even have a single ascended item and those who have more than 1, likely don’t have time to even be i WvWvW to begin with.[/quote]

Yet…

Eventually, the entire rest of the game is going to be an artificial “gate” you have to get through before you can realistically touch PvP, since over time that gear will become a lot more common. But that also assumes that any PvE content isn’t designed around people also having that gear, adding more steps to being able to get to the point of really standing up in PvP.

Now, in the begining of the game, it might be a good time to make PvP gear and stats… There’s a reason so many other games out there do it.

But on the grind, there’s ALWAYS going to be a grind. What ANet promised us was OPTIONS, a lot of people misread what they said. This is why legendaries are just a skin, if you don’t want to do what it takes to get them, then you can go get something else that’s just as good.

And right now, while dungeon farming is the only way to get the best gear, that’ll change, but it takes time, you still want some form of progression in there (new skins will only hold someone’s interest for so long, and getting the best gear for your class should be an accomplishment, not just something you do), not just hit 80 and go buy all BiS.

While I do have my reasons to hate this game, the “grind” isn’t one of them. They’re handling it a lot better than most other MMORPGs… Now if they would just add more life to using your abilities, and maybe add a lot more need to want to switch weapons and use a lot more strategy than just moving out of the way…

Posted by: Fuz.5621

Fuz.5621

It is inevitable.

WoW (and clones) just brainwashed you to think it is inevitable.

Posted by: cherrie.8907

cherrie.8907

And Legendary wepons wont ever have Infusion slots (main reason to have ascended weapons)

I am 99.98% sure they will, otherwise they wouldn’t be top of the game.
Since Ascended > Exotic and Legendary == Best Gear, Legendary == Ascended when A weapons arrive. I’m pretty sure Devs actually acknowledged that, as well as the fact that is ever a higher tier of weapons arrives, Legendary would be “upgraded” again.

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
-Mike Obrien
“We don’t need to make mandatory gear treadmills” -Colin Johanson

Posted by: Ahlen.7591

Ahlen.7591

Kids these days don’t know what a grind actually is.

Also, devs have said that Legendary items will always be best in slot.

Posted by: SirMoogie.9263

SirMoogie.9263

Can you quote the source of that definition?

It’s a usage of the term among English speakers 1, oft heard in common parlance in the phrase “the daily grind” 2. It was also defined this way by Chris in his recent AMA 3.

1Grind – Definition (v.tr. 6 and n. 4)
2Daily Grind
3Reddit AMA – Grind Definition

(edited by SirMoogie.9263)

Posted by: lcc.9374

lcc.9374

Im farming 250 powerful bloods for an ascended backpiece. And you bet its very very boring. I get about 1 blood every half an hour. Yeah and i can guess how long it will take me to get 250.

I have probably spent a week on and off grinding these bloods. got about 50 now. Joy.
And i neccessarily have to take breaks now and then, do other more fun stuff to not make myself quit this game.

Meanwhile. The 3 bots grinding next to me 24/7 have no doubt grinded out more than 250 bloods now. Yes i didnt bother to report them.

The irony of legendary weapons………..

Its supposed to be very legendary. An achievement that only the best of the best can attain.

Well not in this game. Dumb bots can get legendary weapons faster than all of you can…….
How legendary is that?

Provided that your not pro TP player and make 100g an hour that is

Posted by: Silentstorm.7531

Silentstorm.7531

Who reason I made http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsSmV1j9g1Q
Was to counteract the patch’s unintended mauling on us. But give it some time guys i think they will get it right. Still far too early for freak out sessions. But I think if anything this calls for a test realm. Because whoever you have doing that isn’t giving you a realistic outlook A-net.