We need Cross-Skinning

We need Cross-Skinning

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Aglaron.5487

Aglaron.5487

It kills many possibility that we can’t cross-skinning.
If could, then we will have triple options to dress up our characters.

We need Cross-Skinning

Posted by: Khailyn.6248

Khailyn.6248

Perhaps english isn’t your primary language (and it very well may not be), but your post is difficult to understand. Consider revising your post to make it more clear. Have a good day.

‘Death smiles at us all. All a man can do is smile back.’

We need Cross-Skinning

Posted by: PSX.9250

PSX.9250

Think they meant allow us to use any armor type in the wardrobe.

We need Cross-Skinning

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

The problem is that the seams are completely different across all armor weights.

We need Cross-Skinning

Posted by: Curae.1837

Curae.1837

Perhaps english isn’t your primary language (and it very well may not be), but your post is difficult to understand. Consider revising your post to make it more clear. Have a good day.

I think he got his point across…

However, the reason as we can’t use all armor classes’ skins through each other is the way they’ve been built up (I believe). It would also cause massive clipping and people complaining about it. :/

“When we remember that we are all mad.
The mysteries dissapear and life stands explained.”

We need Cross-Skinning

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

As needs must be mentioned each time this comes up — it’s not the clipping, which is merely an aesthetics concern. It’s the underlying rigs that simply will not work together. Original game design had a somewhat different philosophy from what we would like to have today, and it’s baked into the code. There would be serious graphics issues if two different weights were equipped at the same time.

We need Cross-Skinning

Posted by: Khailyn.6248

Khailyn.6248

ok, my bad. for some reason i couldnt understand what they were talking about, but you all made it clearer. when the game first came out it was nice to have 2 distinctive armor weights, but considering armor doesnt really help you in combat much (a large hit is going to down you heavy or light).
the sheer amount of outfits really blurs the line. ironclad armor on a mesmer, marjorys outfit on a revenant etc. I think there is wiggle room for looser restrictions, but its up to AN , and i have no idea how they would go about it.

‘Death smiles at us all. All a man can do is smile back.’

We need Cross-Skinning

Posted by: jonoth.2308

jonoth.2308

I think the suggestion was made before, but perhaps as an achievement anytime you get a complete set of any armor, you also get an outfit version of it. I know the biggest loss in this case would be an absence of mix and match, but it would resolve the mix and match issue. As an additional requirement, they’d have to implement hiding the gloves and shoulders on outfits (at least on those specific types).

“Good news, everyone!”

We need Cross-Skinning

Posted by: Tristen of Galen.8420

Tristen of Galen.8420

Not sure if this was mentioned somewhere, but another idea would be to allow us to create/edit/save our own outfits using whatever skins we’ve unlocked. It would ignore the armor type restriction since it’s going over the current armor’s appearance like all other outfits. Depending on how ANET feels about players making “naked outfits”, an outfit might require a skin for each armor piece before it can be created.

The clipping problem would still be there, but it would be up to the player to either deal with it or modify the outfit to select skins that won’t clip (or have less pronounced clipping).

We need Cross-Skinning

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Not sure if this was mentioned somewhere, but another idea would be to allow us to create/edit/save our own outfits using whatever skins we’ve unlocked. It would ignore the armor type restriction since it’s going over the current armor’s appearance like all other outfits. Depending on how ANET feels about players making “naked outfits”, an outfit might require a skin for each armor piece before it can be created.

The clipping problem would still be there, but it would be up to the player to either deal with it or modify the outfit to select skins that won’t clip (or have less pronounced clipping).

And how do you imagine that they create the tech for creating an outfit stitched together from any other skins, without solving the underlying tech problems?

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

We need Cross-Skinning

Posted by: GrizzlyTank.3145

GrizzlyTank.3145

As needs must be mentioned each time this comes up — it’s not the clipping, which is merely an aesthetics concern. It’s the underlying rigs that simply will not work together. Original game design had a somewhat different philosophy from what we would like to have today, and it’s baked into the code. There would be serious graphics issues if two different weights were equipped at the same time.

If i recall correctly the seam issue only seemed to occur on some armor combinations (Resulting in to say a huge hole in your chracater).
Ofc they could be bothered to actually fix those armors…

We need Cross-Skinning

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

I’d rather not. The whole point of keeping the RP experience intact and the world immersive is when classes look legit like those classes, not when everything is an asura with an afro in sunglasses and a halloween outfit swinging a hammmer around.

We need Cross-Skinning

Posted by: GrizzlyTank.3145

GrizzlyTank.3145

I’d rather not. The whole point of keeping the RP experience intact and the world immersive is when classes look legit like those classes, not when everything is an asura with an afro in sunglasses and a halloween outfit swinging a hammmer around.

The outfits in this game make this argument moot.

We need Cross-Skinning

Posted by: Tristen of Galen.8420

Tristen of Galen.8420

And how do you imagine that they create the tech for creating an outfit stitched together from any other skins, without solving the underlying tech problems?

We can already apply individual skins to each armor piece, but availability is limited by armor type. If the UI has the same character model we already use and ignores the armor type, then all armor skins would be available. The resulting overlay wouldn’t be much different than what is used for outfit (assuming the skins are “just” image models). It seems most of the code is there to accomplish it.

Now if you are talking about how bad the clipping will be, that’s a different story. The result would be the same as the “just let us use whatever skins we want for our armor” request.

Of course, I’m making a number of assumptions about the code and how much of it and the UI can be re-used. I’m sure they could make it work, but I’m sure they have higher priority tasks to work on.

We need Cross-Skinning

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

There was a thread a while back suggesting costume like panels for the 2 other armor weights where you could slot one different armor weight on each “costume” panel and that would appear instead of your regular armor. No mixing and matching between the weights.

So, a light armor would have a heavy armor “costume” panel and a medium armor “costume” panel that they could select wardrobe skins for and wear on top of their armor.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

We need Cross-Skinning

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

There was a thread a while back suggesting costume like panels for the 2 other armor weights where you could slot one different armor weight on each “costume” panel and that would appear instead of your regular armor. No mixing and matching between the weights.

So, a light armor would have a heavy armor “costume” panel and a medium armor “costume” panel that they could select wardrobe skins for and wear on top of their armor.

I would certainly not call it a “need” but I would pay for this.

We need Cross-Skinning

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

The outfits in this game make this argument moot.

It was downhill after they started flooding this game with all these gimmicks for the sake of the gem store instead of finding a better way to monetize.

We need Cross-Skinning

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

we need sounds a lot like I want

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

We need Cross-Skinning

Posted by: Sariel V.7024

Sariel V.7024

Perhaps english isn’t your primary language (and it very well may not be), but your post is difficult to understand. Consider revising your post to make it more clear.

What’s not to understand? This is rant #24: why can’t I put heavy armor on my mage?

We need Cross-Skinning

Posted by: Frenchtoastersticks.8061

Frenchtoastersticks.8061

I second this. Would definitely pay.

We need Cross-Skinning

Posted by: Doam.8305

Doam.8305

Is it easier to create armor from scratch or to adjust some existing armor skins?

Game could use more low to mid level rewards so instead of unlocking armor across all types why not trickle them out? Take racial and some popular armor pieces adjust them for all three armor types then trickle them out through current events or other achieves. Maybe even make us craft it ourselves or with the mystic forge.

We need Cross-Skinning

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I would guess, if there was not a problem mixing Armor types, other than clipping, that when we preview an armor piece, say, in the Gem Store, and the weight does not match what we are currently wearing, the preview would not remove all existing armor.

We need Cross-Skinning

Posted by: SlippyCheeze.5483

SlippyCheeze.5483

I second this. Would definitely pay.

FWIW, “I would pay for X” is rarely convincing to developers, in part because many people who say they would turn out, if it actually happens, not to. It’s better just to say that, yes, you would love this, and let them work out the economics of how they sell it.