DirectX 11/12 request [merged]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Taltevus.3289

Taltevus.3289

I want Gw2 to look like Black Desert Online. Don’t care what way it needs to happen.

Posted by: aerial.7021

aerial.7021

I want Gw2 to look like Black Desert Online. Don’t care what way it needs to happen.

That thing is insane!

Server: Gate of Madness

Posted by: Deepcuts.9740

Deepcuts.9740

1st and most important NO GO for DX12 is Windows 10.
An operating system that sells my data, can give all my data to 3rd parties and monitors everything I do on MY computer is NOT TO BE TRUSTED or ever used.

2nd and still important: I don’t think even the developers back at ANet know exactly how much of an improvement an updated DX version will provide. Players should stop blabbering about thing they have absolutely no idea. Pro or Cons.

3rd: we all want stuff fixed that is absolutely necessary:
Ability to join parties without problems.
Ability to complete Metas without crashes or disconnects.
Ability to skip cutscenes for Story achievements.
Skills, Sigils, Runes and alike that actually work as intended.
etc etc

I can accept a bit of lag and low FPS from time to time but getting sick of all these stupid broken pieces of code.

(edited by Deepcuts.9740)

Posted by: deltaconnected.4859

deltaconnected.4859

Ya want to say the devs are not competent enough to add this support or that arenanet/Ncsoft are too cheap to invest in the game fine. But please stop with the FUD. Honestly there is no reason to not do this. As it won’t hurt anything and it won’t force anything. It just adds options. Not sure why anyone is against options.

You can add ‘likely do profiling of their own’ to your two reasons.

“There is no reason to not do this” is also a terrible argument… there’s no reason to not do a lot of things for the game – more armor skins, more hairstyles, reviving WvW, OCE servers, even an addon system so I don’t have to write my own and risk a tampering ban for Read/WriteProcessMemory() for something as simple as an accurate personal DPS meter – all of which take up a portion of two limited resources: time and money. Knowing that DX12 won’t help performance and trusting that their art won’t gain from it either, a better question would be ‘what reason is there to do this?’. More options is fine as long as creating those options isn’t sacrificing resources that could be used to actually add or improve something.

The problem is quite visible if you look at it properly as a programmer I get it it’s a huge undertaking to re-write code, but that’s more of a microsoft problem they should be writing APIs that do NOT require complete re-writes of code period.

Some ideas 10 years ago may not be so great today, and get dropped (d3dx9). Likewise some ideas today didn’t exist 10 years ago, so you won’t inherently be taking advantage of everything new that comes around. Such is development.

Posted by: Stealth.8150

Stealth.8150

what is the point in posting screenshots of fps u get in game where there is barely anyone on map. those just mean you in game and mean nothing.

if you want to post meaningful screenshots go into a at least 20v20 fight in wvw or a populated LA and post the fps u get.

ign: Stealthzor

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

what is the point in posting screenshots of fps u get in game where there is barely anyone on map. those just mean you in game and mean nothing.

if you want to post meaningful screenshots go into a at least 20v20 fight in wvw or a populated LA and post the fps u get.

Go to Shaman in Wayfayer Hills when the entire map is doing that world boss. There’s a good test.

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

I want OpenGL not DX12! give us OpenGL!!!!

And i want Glide .. 3dfx Vodoo cards were so much better than NVidia crap at
their times

im not greedy

i only want anet to have multi core support, the rest can wait

They have multicore support, only not for more than 4 cores.

nope is only two cores and anet staff already verified that the game indeed is badly optimized to the point that even though it appear to be utilizing two cores, a lot of the things are done on one thread thus it is mainly one core that doing the job.

also…multi cores as in…cpu scaling

gw2 was developed in the old era that still uses 2 cores….
however, dev can no longer keep using two cores as the core speed no longer increases, what continue to increase is the number of cores we have on our processor. even intel made a statement to all game dev to start using the cores and not depend on single core performance, i guess intel also reaching their limit on single core performance

Just take a look into your task manager. If only 2 cores are used a i5 would not
even run at 50%.

……
Since when i5 has hyper threading to 8 cores. You sure you know your stuffs?

50% of 4 are 2 .. don’t know why its 8 for you.

Seriously, are you even reading your comment? You even quoted your own comment. This is exactly what you wrote yourself If only 2 cores are used a i5 would not even run at 50%.

/facepalm

Also, you are the one that said gw2 is capable of using up to 4 cores.

/facepalm2

I really don’t understand what you want from me .. is my english just that bad ?

4 cores = 100% .. 3 cores uses = 75% .. 2 cores used = 50% .. 1 core = 25%

Of course that means those cores are used to 100% each.
Now if one core runs at 100% and 3 at 50% thats 25 + 3 * 12,5 = 62,5% and that
is already more than what is possible with just using 2 cores.

So hard to understand for you ? Or whats your problem with me ?

And since you also quoted the 3DFX thing, that has nothing to do with all
the above, i really start to believe ist personal and you are stalking me.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

I would at least die to have a character editor like that <3

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: SkyShroud.2865

SkyShroud.2865

I want OpenGL not DX12! give us OpenGL!!!!

And i want Glide .. 3dfx Vodoo cards were so much better than NVidia crap at
their times

im not greedy

i only want anet to have multi core support, the rest can wait

nope is only two cores and anet staff already verified that the game indeed is badly optimized to the point that even though it appear to be utilizing two cores, a lot of the things are done on one thread thus it is mainly one core that doing the job.

also…multi cores as in…cpu scaling

gw2 was developed in the old era that still uses 2 cores….
however, dev can no longer keep using two cores as the core speed no longer increases, what continue to increase is the number of cores we have on our processor. even intel made a statement to all game dev to start using the cores and not depend on single core performance, i guess intel also reaching their limit on single core performance

Just take a look into your task manager. If only 2 cores are used a i5 would not
even run at 50%.

……
Since when i5 has hyper threading to 8 cores. You sure you know your stuffs?

50% of 4 are 2 .. don’t know why its 8 for you.

Seriously, are you even reading your comment? You even quoted your own comment. This is exactly what you wrote yourself If only 2 cores are used a i5 would not even run at 50%.

/facepalm

Also, you are the one that said gw2 is capable of using up to 4 cores.

/facepalm2

I really don’t understand what you want from me .. is my english just that bad ?

4 cores = 100% .. 3 cores uses = 75% .. 2 cores used = 50% .. 1 core = 25%

Of course that means those cores are used to 100% each.
Now if one core runs at 100% and 3 at 50% thats 25 + 3 * 12,5 = 62,5% and that
is already more than what is possible with just using 2 cores.

So hard to understand for you ? Or whats your problem with me ?

And since you also quoted the 3DFX thing, that has nothing to do with all
the above, i really start to believe ist personal and you are stalking me.

/facepalm
Let me quote every single thing then.

nope is only two cores

Just take a look into your task manager. If only 2 cores are used a i5 would not even run at 50%.

It is alright if you just admit that you have no idea what you are talking about instead of trying hard to correct your own words. For every comment you try to correct yourself, you contradict your initial responses, that is like own self slapping own face.

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International Guild
Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Since the game has multiple threads, it’s using multiple cores and at moments it can be using a fair number of cores.

Remember there are the same number of physical cores in a desktop i5 as in an i7. Hyperthreading is simply a clever technique to improve the usage and efficiency of a physical core. On the macro scale it’s equivalent to an overclock i5 core.

When some of us say it uses only a couple of cores we really mean it only generates enough work for a couple of cores.

Even though a thread can be bounced between multiple cores, it can’t exceed the performance of a single core as a thread can only be running on one core at any particular moment. So it’s no different if it spends 25% of it’s run time on each of four cores or 100% on one. That’s also where we get the notion that single core performance is more important than the multithreaded performance.

Edit: Here is a thread breakdown while standing at the bank in Lion’s Arch. Note I have a quad core and these percentages are based on the entire CPU so no thread will be more than 25% of the CPU’s total performance.

Attachments:

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

(edited by Behellagh.1468)

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Go to Shaman in Wayfayer Hills when the entire map is doing that world boss. There’s a good test.

Shaman in particular is good proof that the visual effects engine in GW2 is actually broken and the reason for many slowdowns.

You can have 100 peeps in front with a clusterkitten of sparkly effects at 20 fps (expected) when it suddenly – often for about 5 seconds – will go to buttery smooth 60 fps. I’m not even joking, the sudden performance jump is jarring with no noticable visual change, its still 100 peeps tossing effects in front. Then it goes back to “normal”.

Posted by: aerial.7021

aerial.7021

Shaman in particular is good proof that the visual effects engine in GW2 is actually broken and the reason for many slowdowns.

You can have 100 peeps in front with a clusterkitten of sparkly effects at 20 fps (expected) when it suddenly – often for about 5 seconds – will go to buttery smooth 60 fps. I’m not even joking, the sudden performance jump is jarring with no noticable visual change, its still 100 peeps tossing effects in front. Then it goes back to “normal”.

Basicly the art department have been given the keys to go wild without restrictions from the dorn of Dry Top, we’ve a saying at the moment with me and my son that play the game together, Lion’s Arch you get in you get out as fast as humanly possible because it just dumps on both our PCs and as for HoT we tried it we won’t go back there until we’ve got better hardware, I joked and said yeah not until we’ve got 4 way SLI TITANs 64Gb Ram and 6700k i7 overclocked and all water cooled by nitrogen kept at a barmy -321 degrees fahrenheit, likely we’d still get problems so we might need to expand to up to 8 or 16 SLI later.

Hyperbole a side what hardware do ArenaNET staff use to make this game anyhow? some sort of Marty McFly futuristic throwback from the future in 2080 Dr. Brown inspired fusion powered 1.21GWatt CPU, or perhaps they’ve just enslaved the entire skirt race on mouse wheels?

Just an FYI
Intel® Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz, Core i3 OR AMD Athlon 64 X2, or better
2 GB RAM
NVIDIA® GeForce® 7800, ATI X1800, Intel HD 3000, or better (256 MB of video RAM and shader model 3.0 or better)

These minimum system requirements don’t have a prayer in the highest levels of heaven itself to be able to run the ‘entire’ game, even on low settings for everything.

NVIDIA GTX 760, Intel HD 4000, or better (1Gb of video RAM and shader model 3.0 or better)

Those I’d believe, it feels like there is a great chasm devoid between what developers class as ‘runs’ and what is actually ‘playable’, just because your app runs on low spec PCs doesn’t class it as playable, 1FPS isn’t good enough unless you want to make a coffee between each frame, but then that is good advice for anyone just because you have minimum specs to run it doesn’t mean it will run well.

Server: Gate of Madness

(edited by aerial.7021)

Posted by: JediYoda.1275

JediYoda.1275

But what really is required to update a games DX version? Just update the DX API’s or the game engine itself as a whole,? I want links to said information not speculation, Because few game are set to get DX12 in patches.

Seems you’ve forgotten one of the most important links on your crusade about DX12’s glorious performance…

From someone with knowledge about the game engine and what it can and can’t do.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3ajnso/bad_optimalization_in_gw2/csdnn3n

Or just read that if you have no understanding of what I typed out above.

DX 12 is backwards compatible with each version has many fixes and tweaks to them so it would benefit everyone regardless if they don’t have DX 12 video card. Anet upgraded GW1 to DX9 and that was sub free game.

I didn’t miss any links, my crusade? that’s funny what about the crusade some of you are on trying to make me think because an dev/expert said X that they are 100% correct and I should just go along with them because they are a dev/expert? Because I give an argument that you don’t agree with so of couple of you try to insult with cleaver insults.

“If only ANet had some kind of forum they could use to communicate with us……”
“ANet. They never miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity to not mess up.”
Mod “Posts created to cause unrest with unfounded claims are not allowed” lmao

Behellagh.1468

Dx12 isn’t backwards compatible, Win 10 simply comes with the Dx9 dlls as well (along with Dx8/Dx10/Dx11). And of course the video card drivers still support all the entry points those older Dx standards use.

Just search for d3d*. * in your windows directory and you’ll find all the Dx 3D dlls, not just Dx12. That’s why the game works in Windows 10.

RIP City of Heroes

JediYoda.1275

Dx12 isn’t backwards compatible, Win 10 simply comes with the Dx9 dlls as well (along with Dx8/Dx10/Dx11). And of course the video card drivers still support all the entry points those older Dx standards use.

Just search for d3d*. * in your windows directory and you’ll find all the Dx 3D dlls, not just Dx12. That’s why the game works in Windows 10.

Your post is contradicting

For DX12 to be backwards compatible it has to have all Dx9 dlls along with Dx8/Dx10/Dx11 which you pointed out. Which proves DX12 is backwards compatible same for video card drives to recognizes which DX standard to use.

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/65778-directx-12-detailed-dx11-gpu-compatibility-more.html

Thanks for proving my point

(edited by JediYoda.1275)

Posted by: Pepsi.8907

Pepsi.8907

The time it takes to rewrite a game so that it adapts to newer graphics is insanely high. In fact, the only game I’ve ever known to go to such length and stay up to date is Eve Online… Do I need to say more? How complex and rich this game actually is compared to gw2?
Beside, I’d rather see an optimization in graphics rather than an upgrade

Posted by: Shivan.9438

Shivan.9438

The time it takes to rewrite a game so that it adapts to newer graphics is insanely high.

They had 10 years.

In fact, the only game I’ve ever known to go to such length and stay up to date is Eve Online.

Unless Anet had recieved zero funding from NC Soft or sat on their butts… if Eve Online can put forth the effort, so can Anet.

One of Anet’s common replies to not having what other games offer is “It’s not in our skillset.” Really? In 10 years a company can’t hire people to do the job or be picked up by a parent company that can offer them support and make the game better and take care of a 5+ year old franchise?

Bull-kitten.

Posted by: Ansau.7326

Ansau.7326

The time it takes to rewrite a game so that it adapts to newer graphics is insanely high.

They had 10 years.

In fact, the only game I’ve ever known to go to such length and stay up to date is Eve Online.

Unless Anet had recieved zero funding from NC Soft or sat on their butts… if Eve Online can put forth the effort, so can Anet.

One of Anet’s common replies to not having what other games offer is “It’s not in our skillset.” Really? In 10 years a company can’t hire people to do the job or be picked up by a parent company that can offer them support and make the game better and take care of a 5+ year old franchise?

Bull-kitten.

DirectX 10 was released in late 2006, and they started to develop Gw2 in 2007. Investing time in a newer api would have meant delaying the launch. Later, they preferred with the continuous temporary content release over spending time in a newer API. Then it came the expansion.

About EVE Online, same story as always. Different game, different publisher, different situation and different internal politics and perspective. When people will stop doing these unreasonable comparisons…
Its developer has nearly twice the amount of employees than anet. First API upgrade in EVE came with directx 9, 4 years later, and directx 11 came 10 years later (not that you can relate to the same 10 years from Gw1 Factions).

Ansau – Sylvari Mesmer – Exiled Warriors [wE] – Gandara

i7 5775c @ 4.1GHz – 12GB RAM @ 2400MHz – RX 480 @ 1390/2140MHz

Behellagh.1468

For DX12 to be backwards compatible it has to have all Dx9 dlls along with Dx8/Dx10/Dx11 which you pointed out. Which proves DX12 is backwards compatible same for video card drives to recognizes which DX standard to use.

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/65778-directx-12-detailed-dx11-gpu-compatibility-more.html

No I didn’t. There are a number of ways you can look at programming code that uses DirectX. The programmer’s latest DirectX API documentation includes functionality from all versions of DirectX (within reason) including the latest, ie Dx12. That does not mean DirectX 12 is backward compatible. Now from how it’s actually supported is done by using version specific DLLs, so really it’s Windows 10 that’s backwards compatible. Then there is hardware compatibility of DirectX versions. The article you linked to is about that which I’ll go into later.

For a developer to program targeting a specific version of DirectX, there is a compatibility level they set which flags during development when a developer uses part of the API that isn’t supported or exceed limits set by that compatibility level.

Now what the article from that link is talking about was not requiring new hardware to support Dx12 functionality. This wasn’t true with Dx11 and Dx10 cards as the new functionality added to those DirectX versions needed significant hardware changes. Dx10 needed a completely redesigned GPU architecture paradigm, moving from fixed pixel/geometry and shader pipelines in Dx9 hardware to a configurable array of simple FPUs (Floating Point Units). Dx11 required a hardware tessellater and MPAA x4 that Dx10 hardware didn’t have. Dx12 was more about additional functionality using the existing hardware rather than requiring additional silicon.

Edit: This is the 3rd or 4th pass at simplifying my point.

RIP City of Heroes

(edited by Behellagh.1468)

JediYoda.1275

No I didn’t.

Yes you did, and you are the only person I’ve seen say dx12 isn’t backwards compatible when many articles on the web say different.

(edited by JediYoda.1275)

Ayrilana.1396

People here may not be understanding what Behellagh is talking about. Besides, all of those articles have been about versions DX10 and higher.

What does the following mean?

“The program can’t start because d3dx9_35.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.”

I like this one too.

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

Posted by: OneYenShort.3189

OneYenShort.3189

That description reminds me of core parking issue. I don’t think it ever got fixed though. I’ve tried some of the stuff but something got dorked and I had to do a system restore. So I play at those varing FPS rather than not being played at all.

In case you wanted to do some looking yourself (or maybe you have?) I know this has been posted before in the gw2 forums, but I’ve never gone into my graphics card settings to look for the power management. That is something I should do.

So here is a link as a starting point for those interested. Yes, it is WoW based, but the premise is the same for GW2.
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/3863056756

Posted by: JVJD.4912

JVJD.4912

whose “we”? Do you have written statements of all the players in gw2 o_0??

Posted by: Cronos.6532

Cronos.6532

most graphics cards don’t support dx12, but dx11 would be great. or don’t be stupid and just go full openGL

Ethereal Guardians [EG]
etherealguardians.com

Behellagh.1468

No I didn’t.

Yes you did, and you are the only person I’ve seen say dx12 isn’t backwards compatible when many articles on the web say different.

Because it’s easier to tell clueless gamers like Conan that their old Dx9/10/11 games will still work by saying Dx12 is backwards compatible rather than explaining it every time that it will still works because of the other versions of Dx is still supported by Windows 10.

Microsoft has done it’s marketing too well and made people believe that there is only one official version of DirectX for each version of the OS rather than it being an addition to the versions it already supported. Vista added Dx10, Win 7/8/8.1 added Dx11 and now Win 10 added Dx12. Added to, not replace, not absorbing the previous versions.

The point being is that you can’t right a Dx12 game and have it work on a Dx9 system. The API doesn’t sense the hardware and OS compatibility of the system it’s running on and automagically provide compatibility to that system. To still support Dx9, developers need to provide a specific Dx9 render path, they don’t get that just by using Dx12.

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Halvorn.9831

Halvorn.9831

Personally I don’t see myself switching to Windows 10 anytime soon, so I am not part of that “we” the OP has posted in the thread title. Please stop hijacking gamers.

Apart from that I have to say that if the rumours are true that rather than someday publishing GW3 ANet plans to evolve GW2 over time to make it stay for a long time then they should have a plan for modernizing their engine.

Posted by: brently.7946

brently.7946

If they plan on keeping the game alive for 2 years or more, they should fix all their engine issues. If they plan making a guild wars 3 and using this engine as a base, they might as well fix the issues in it.

“Where will the money for this come from?” – uhhh kickstarter, duh.

Posted by: DevilishLyx.2340

DevilishLyx.2340

11 months and still no DX11 or even 10!!

Behellagh.1468

Try 41 months, they mentioned they were investigating Dx11 just after launch.

Thing is though the renderer according to ANet Game Engine devs isn’t the bottleneck when performance drops so it wouldn’t matter.

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Blackhearted.1264

Blackhearted.1264

You might as well give up hope on dx11/12 tbh. It’s pretty clear that anet has no intention whatsoever to ever make any improvements to their engine.

Posted by: ShinyDay.5349

ShinyDay.5349

DX12 for this game … probbably never.
If you check list of games that use DirectX 12 version, you will notice that there are less than 10 games on that list.
But DirectX 11 … they could make some effort to bring it to Guild wars 2. We need that hyperthreading.
At every event we get that stupid FPS drop no matter what GPU & CPU you have.

Anet bring us dx11 and you will get 1$ from each player!

i7 4790, GTX 1070, SSD Samsung 850 EVO + HyperX Fury 480gb, Z97A Krait, 16GB 2133MHz CL10 DDR3,
Corsair RM650x, Fractal Define S (with window panel)

ShinyDay.5349

Was playing WvW today with MSI afterburner in background to monitor hardware usage and performance.
Just look at that GPU usage droping from 0% to 100% all the time.
Not to mention frame times spikes from 14ms to like 70 or more … ofc that’s causing FPS drop.
my CPU usage never went above 50% (I’m using i7 4790). That game is CPU hungry and that’s why we get FPS drop in huge events … just because game is running on directx 9 that doesn’t support multithrading. In my case DirectX 11 would improve FPS rate a lot because game would be finally able to use 100% CPU.

I just wanna play this game at normal FPS.

I get it that at huge events there will always be FPS drop. From 60 to 55 or 50 … but not from 60 FPS to 20 or even lower.

I just hope we can expect DirectX 11 update sometime soon. Don’t tell me that Anet can’t afford that kind of update. They earned a lot of money from HoT few months ago, players are still buying codes and gems in game.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_with_DirectX_11_support

if all those game developers managed to get directx 11 for their games, I bet Anet can also do that.
We are not asking for DX12, since only few games have it and also GPUs older than 1 year won’t support it. But DX 11 is so common this days, so that Dx9 on GW2 is realy disgusting.

Please just get that DX11 already.

Attachments:

i7 4790, GTX 1070, SSD Samsung 850 EVO + HyperX Fury 480gb, Z97A Krait, 16GB 2133MHz CL10 DDR3,

Posted by: Cobrakon.3108

Cobrakon.3108

Windows 10 is a pos spyware. Stop asking for DX 12 , as that will be exclusive to Win 10. Im not upgrading to win 10 and a lot of people feel the same way. Its time to go with the multiple platform api. Vulcan.

ShinyDay.5349

Windows 10 is a pos spyware. Stop asking for DX 12 , as that will be exclusive to Win 10. Im not upgrading to win 10 and a lot of people feel the same way. Its time to go with the multiple platform api. Vulcan.

About Windows 10 spying … what kind of kinky illegal stuff do you have on your PC that you are scared for them to find out?
Linus tech also reviewed what was being sent from your PC to microsoft and it was only normal data for discovering and fixing bugs and not spying, but you can have your opinion.

About DX12, I know it’s unrealistic to hope for that in this game, but DX11 shouldn’t be that hard to implement into system. It’s not like they have to rewrite code from entire game.
Vulcan API … well that was released like 2 weeks ago. Probbably we can’t expect that in guild wars 2 any time in next 5 years. Would be cool for my R9 390 GPU, but lets be realistic here.

I don’t realy care what API they would use in future, as long as it would bring at least some improvement + multithreading.

Posted by: Ansau.7326

Ansau.7326

13 pages and people still think the api is the issue…

Ansau – Sylvari Mesmer – Exiled Warriors [wE] – Gandara

i7 5775c @ 4.1GHz – 12GB RAM @ 2400MHz – RX 480 @ 1390/2140MHz

ShinyDay.5349

It is … DX9 doesn’t support hyperthreading and that’s why GW2 won’t ever use more than 50% of my CPU. with DX11, client would be able to use 100% of CPU and GPU, so that would increase FPS.
I get it that this game is CPU hungry, but it’s dumb that it can only use 50% of my CPU.

For i7/xenon CPU users that would bring nice amount of performance.

Ayrilana.1396

It is … DX9 doesn’t support hyperthreading and that’s why GW2 won’t ever use more than 50% of my CPU. with DX11, client would be able to use 100% of CPU and GPU, so that would increase FPS.
I get it that this game is CPU hungry, but it’s dumb that it can only use 50% of my CPU.

Going to a higher DX version won’t do what you think it will. I would check into what it actually does and what is required for any features to be used.

Posted by: SkyShroud.2865

SkyShroud.2865

to be accurate
dx9 does not support multithread rendering
but that does not means that dx9 cannot be multithread to have worker threads to process the information needed for rendering

becoz it seems more like there are a lot of processing need to be made before rendering which result in the low FPS.

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International Guild
Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

Behellagh.1468

True, but to quote back to the dev post from that reddit thread, many of the game’s internal data structures aren’t thread safe which in itself prevents multi-threading.

Also coding for Dx10 and beyond is very different than before Dx10. Microsoft has a fairly significant list of issues when developing for Dx10 from 9, unlike those for Dx11 from 10 or 12 from 11.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/bb205073(v=vs.85).aspx

RIP City of Heroes

ShinyDay.5349

Oh well in that case I can only hope that GW3 or whatever they will call next version, will be able to perform at 60fps all the time regardelss of sicuation.
I don’t know anything about game optimisation, just wish I could run WvW with at least 50 fps

Blackhearted.1264

We are not asking for DX12, since only few games have it and also GPUs older than 1 year won’t support it.

Incorrect. Any AMD GCN based GPU, that’s mid-7000 series and up and nvidia gpus back to like the 400 or 500 series can support the main benefits of directx 12, the lower level nature of it and the multi-core support it offers.

A lot of people are idiots, yea. Have fun sticking to 7 and being left behind as more and more games come out. And lol @ thinking vulkan will take off. It’ll be about as common in games as opengl was. That is to say, not at all.

It’s an indisputable fact though, that directx 12, and to a lesser degree, 11, is faster than directx 9. To try to say it isn’t is just foolish. As is to try to say the games performance would not improve at all if they bothered to do it.

Ayrilana.1396

It’s an indisputable fact though, that directx 12, and to a lesser degree, 11, is faster than directx 9. To try to say it isn’t is just foolish. As is to try to say the games performance would not improve at all if they bothered to do it.

Sure, it’s faster. It doesn’t mean it’ll have any significant impact on the performance issues that people are having in the game.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3ajnso/bad_optimalization_in_gw2/csdnn3n

Posted by: Ananeos.4587

Ananeos.4587

If Anet ever hopes to keep up with their compeditors they MUST utilize dx11. This is 2016, you can’t have a modern game running on dx9 anymore. Dx9 was made in 2002 for Christsake. Having dx11-12 in the game would also mean that the devs could do a whole lot more with the visuals.

Hailsec – Asuran Mesmer | EVOS
Zraiyya – Asuran Elementalist | EVOS
Akkodi – Asuran Engineer | EVOS

(edited by Ananeos.4587)

Posted by: jbrother.1340

jbrother.1340

About Windows 10 spying … what kind of kinky illegal stuff do you have on your PC that you are scared for them to find out?
Linus tech also reviewed what was being sent from your PC to microsoft and it was only normal data for discovering and fixing bugs and not spying, but you can have your opinion.

About DX12, I know it’s unrealistic to hope for that in this game, but DX11 shouldn’t be that hard to implement into system. It’s not like they have to rewrite code from entire game.
Vulcan API … well that was released like 2 weeks ago. Probbably we can’t expect that in guild wars 2 any time in next 5 years. Would be cool for my R9 390 GPU, but lets be realistic here.

I don’t realy care what API they would use in future, as long as it would bring at least some improvement + multithreading.

personal privacy is the basis by which all of our other freedoms are derived. Without personal privacy eventually the freedoms of, movement, speech, and self determination to the extent we currently have will disappear. We will be back in a tyranical state and right back where we were 400 years ago.

Democracy barely works. Freedom in the true form of freedom with responsibility is always hanging on by a thread in our current evolution of society. We have to protect it if it is to survice and allowing big business to compromise this for advertising or any other reason is a dangerous game to play.

I understand that many younger people and some older ones don’t really understand this and think that this:

“if you have nothing to hid what does it matter…”

rhetoric is actually valid but it is not. that is only valid if you don’t value your freedom or the freedom of your children or anyone else that will come after us. the more one limits a persons individual freedom the closer we come to civil war or true revolution. Neither of those are necessary if we can find nonviolent solutions to maintain freedom.

this is a much larger issue than it seems on the surface and outside the scope of this forum. Just think about what you are saying and what is being risked to say it.

thankfully right now you only speak for yourself but in the end if this attitude becomes the mainstream we are all going to be worse off.

I have nothing to hide and if you want to know ask me directly do not do it behind the scenes or in subversive ways.

Ayrilana.1396

You can turn off the Windows 10 spying if it’s a big deal.

Blackhearted.1264

Well, according the the most recent AMA anet is just going to sit around and make no improvements to their engine whatsoever.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/48zlyd/im_mike_obrien_here_with_gw2_dev_team_ama/d0nwdsl

It’s incredibly disappointing that, in 2016, they still refuse to make any effort whatsoever to properly support modern hardware like most of their competition does.

Ayrilana.1396

Well, according the the most recent AMA anet is just going to sit around and make no improvements to their engine whatsoever.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/48zlyd/im_mike_obrien_here_with_gw2_dev_team_ama/d0nwdsl

It’s incredibly disappointing that, in 2016, they still refuse to make any effort whatsoever to properly support modern hardware like most of their competition does.

There are other ways to improve the game engine other than update DX.

Blackhearted.1264

But if they wont even consider supporting, say, dx11, which at this point is near 7 years old, what makes you think they’d even consider making improvements in other ways?

Ayrilana.1396

But if they wont even consider supporting, say, dx11, which at this point is near 7 years old, what makes you think they’d even consider making improvements in other ways?

Because they have been making improvements already. The issues players are having will not be fixed by GW2 upgrading to a higher DX version.

Blackhearted.1264

Because they have been making improvements already. The issues players are having will not be fixed by GW2 upgrading to a higher DX version.

In what ways? Performance wise, things are pretty much the same as they’ve always been. If there’s been any change in that regard, it would be slightly for the worse. And visually, the only notable change i can recall in about 3.5 years(or 4 years since i was in beta) is the addition of ambient occlusion. Which, while nice, is hardly anything to get excited over.