Weapon sets. Do they really give you a choice?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Amigo.5023

Amigo.5023

How much weapon sets do you use?

I beleive there are only two (three max) weapon sets that players actively use. The more they play for a single character the narrower their weapon choice becomes. So a lot of weapon skills are unused. Do you agree?

Posted by: Tradewind.6913

Tradewind.6913

No, the combat is designed around weapon swapping, or in the case of elementalists attunement swapping. Sticking to just one weapon for anything other than just blasting low level stuff while farming, is actually damaging your output.

Posted by: Kirha.3256

Kirha.3256

I believe weapon sets offer choice. Case in point, I am a theif who uses DD, PP, and SB all regularly. I haven’t found the time to explore SP which I hear a lot of theives use, but I definately will when I get the chance.

“Seek me in the shadows.” – Lockless

Amigo.5023

Yes, that’s my point. Two or three weapon sets. Not 6, 7 or 8.

Posted by: Campana.9216

Campana.9216

There is a lot less choice than in GW1. However, there is still more choice than in most other mainstream MMOs where you basically get to choose between 3 trait trees. In GW2 you have 5 trait trees and then all your different weapon load outs on top of that.

Amigo.5023

You are talking about overall character customisation now. My idea is that most of the weapon sets are basically ineffective and therefore are rarely (if at all) used. And on top of that some players do not want to keep several weapons in their inventory and change them all the time. They prefer to stick to one or two weapons.

Posted by: Campana.9216

Campana.9216

Oh, sorry should have read the OP more closely.

Yes, I find on my warrior that I’m just using greatsword and longbow for PvE (as in general map completion and DEs). However, in places where you need more than just sheer dps I find myself trying out other weapons more (dungeons, pvp). Even then, there are some weapons I just haven’t bothered equipping, except to unlock those skills in the first place.

(edited by Campana.9216)

Posted by: locoman.1974

locoman.1974

In my guardian I find myself using regularly greatsword, hammer, staff, sword-torch and scepter-focus so far (not counting the underwater weapons).

It’s a pile of Elonian protection magic, mixed with a little monk training,
wrapped up in some crazy ritualist hoo-ha from Cantha.
A real grab bag of ‘you can’t hurt me. They’re called Guardians.

Posted by: PalmTrees.3796

PalmTrees.3796

My mesmer uses sword/pistol and staff. Very rarely do I switch to scepter, focus, torch or offhand sword. Not all weapons have as useful abilities as others. And even if a weapon has situationally good abilities, it’s generally easier to use your regular set than open up the inventory and switch out.

Posted by: Deith.7596

Deith.7596

Elementalist with weapon swaping…I would be a happy, happy man.

None of good stories starts with “I was drinking my milk when suddenly…”

Posted by: Tradewind.6913

Tradewind.6913

Why would you wanna weapon swap from two daggers to two more daggers? :p

Posted by: Gopher.4562

Gopher.4562

I have a Rifle, a Bow, a GreatSword, 2 axes and 2 swords with my Warrior.

Posted by: SteveMND.1754

SteveMND.1754

I haven’t found any weapon sets yet that are ‘ineffective.’ Some are less than optimal in certain situations, obviously — for example, when you’re doing solo-pve, there’s little point to to a group buff buildout. My engineer is mostly his pistol and shield and speargun when underwater. But depending on whether I’m soloing or grouping, fighting something by itself or a group of enemies, running PvE or running a dungeon, I find myself swapping out to my flamethrower, bomb kit, healing gun, etc. as the need arises. A friend of mine is working on an engineer, and he’s working on a dual pistol high-mobility build.

It’s all what your playstyle is, I think. It just so happens that there area lot of lazy gamers out there, and they’ll tend to gravitate towards whatever build they see as the most reward for the least work. As such, it may appear that there are only a few viable builds in any game, but I think it’s really just what builds are best suited for minimum effort that tends to tint the build landscape.

Posted by: Knote.2904

Knote.2904

There is a lot less choice than in GW1. However, there is still more choice than in most other mainstream MMOs where you basically get to choose between 3 trait trees. In GW2 you have 5 trait trees and then all your different weapon load outs on top of that.

I would give you that point if traits weren’t still for the most part somewhat dull and changed your playstyle a bit more. They still have to weed out alot of those basic traits like 5% more dmg. I want to see more traits like “When you blind you apply 1s chill” that actually changes the function or add another function to abilities.

They’ve been slowly improving it though.

Posted by: Deith.7596

Deith.7596

Why would you wanna weapon swap from two daggers to two more daggers? :p

http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/220/5/e/xzibit_yo_dawg_render_by_kernelpanicx-d5aa710.png
I could use some assets from staff: aoe stun, knockback, cripple and snare.

None of good stories starts with “I was drinking my milk when suddenly…”

Posted by: zydal.2790

zydal.2790

On my warrior I actively use Greatsword, double axes, Longbow, Rifle, Axe/Shield, Hammer…maybe some other stuff. But situations all call for different weapons.

Anyone limiting themselves is doing it out of their own ignorance of how to properly utilize their character.