Weapons and Armor modification

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: undouble.1472

undouble.1472

With the introduction of the April 15 update and the new model for armor repairs coming, what about some additional changes such as:

a) While damaged armor can be repaired, broken armor must be replaced

b) Good armor (w/upscale stats) can only be crafted—drops/chests can only provide upscale runes/sigils on so-so armor/weapons.

c) When a character is defeated and returns to a waypoint as a result, there is a chance (very small) of losing one or more active weapons.

d) Weapon drops/chest finds should not be better (by level) than crafted weapons (rare, exotic, unique armor/weapons should only be available via crafting. High-grade Sigils/Runes can be looted/found.

These suggestions may make the crafting skills more valuable to a player, and make the use of repair canisters and revival orbs even more useful,
At present, in PvE at least, I can find much better armor in the field than I can craft for my L-x character. I may look like a bum, but I’m warm, dry and better protected (and armed) than my well-tailored contemporaries.

Posted by: Alienmuppet.1942

Alienmuppet.1942

I think you’d be avoiding a lot of fights if there was a risk of losing the ascended armor that you’d spent 100’s of gold on, and losing that legendary you spend months working to get, or even just an expensive weapon.

No I think in the current system that really would not work, unless I’ve misunderstood you.

Posted by: PvM Chaos.5984

PvM Chaos.5984

I’m going to keep this short and very simple so you understand it

NO.

Posted by: Red Queen.7915

Red Queen.7915

Wow, you haven’t thought this through at all, have you?

Let me paraphrase your suggestion: You spend hundreds, sometimes even thousands of hours in the game to get this one sweet legendary you always wanted. Then, on your merry way to your next personal story instance, some pirate schmuck knocks you on your kitten . Nobody’s around to revive you, and you didn’t spend a bunch of money on gems to buy revive orbs. So you port, and *poof*, your precious legendary is gone. Months of work down the drain. Enjoy farming for a replacement.

Does that sound like something you’d want? Because some RNG says so?
I don’t think anyone would want that. And even if this kind of masochism is your thing, please refer to the usual rule of thumb in this case: Just because YOU like getting spanked doesn’t mean I do.

(Boy, I really do hope you’re just trolling...)

PSA: The amount of small felines serves as an indicator for just how angry I am at something.

Kaerleikur @ Elonaspitze

(edited by Red Queen.7915)

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

At present, in PvE at least, I can find much better armor in the field than I can craft for my L-x character.

It only means your crafting is well behind your leveling. Step on it and craft ascended gear.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: mrauls.6519

mrauls.6519

Delete this thread

Mes (Guardian)
I make PvP & WvW videos

Posted by: Jahroots.6791

Jahroots.6791

No.

Terrible idea. Repair canisters and revive orbs are gem store only, not everyone can afford to buy gems.

Your suggestions don’t add value, only tedium. Few players want the game’s difficulty increased, especially with the paltry rewards we get as is. Armour and weapons lose value as soon as they’re equipped (binding), your suggestion would only be viable if gear could be sold on the TP even after use.

Also, the very best items in game are already crafted in a sense (the Mystic Forge is a crafting tool, and in many cases a lot simpler than the 8 disciplines).

What I would like to see are better looking crafted weapons (Why are all races making Quaggan themed weapons by default?), and a few more options for craftable armour.

(edited by Jahroots.6791)

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

undouble.1472

Wow, you haven’t thought this through at all, have you?

Let me paraphrase your suggestion: You spend hundreds, sometimes even thousands of hours in the game to get this one sweet legendary you always wanted. Then, on your merry way to your next personal story instance, some pirate schmuck knocks you on your kitten . Nobody’s around to revive you, and you didn’t spend a bunch of money on gems to buy revive orbs. So you port, and poof, your precious legendary is gone. Months of work down the drain. Enjoy farming for a replacement.

Does that sound like something you’d want? Because some RNG says so?
I don’t think anyone would want that. And even if this kind of masochism is your thing, please refer to the usual rule of thumb in this case: Just because YOU like getting spanked doesn’t mean I do.

(Boy, I really do hope you’re just trolling…)

No, not trolling—————-and any chance of losing a weapon would be on the order of .001%. But, if you’re not willing to invest in your (character) own safety, there should? be a cost for your carelessness—————-shouldn’t there?? After all, the critter/foe DID you, didn’kitten And, you WERE carrying the “shiny”, weren’t you?? And, you didn’t think to bring a backup with you, did you??

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I think I’m going to have to stick with the majority of others here….

/no

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

undouble.1472

No.

Terrible idea. Repair canisters and revive orbs are gem store only, not everyone can afford to buy gems.

Your suggestions don’t add value, only tedium. Few players want the game’s difficulty increased, especially with the paltry rewards we get as is. Armour and weapons lose value as soon as they’re equipped (binding), your suggestion would only be viable if gear could be sold on the TP even after use.

Also, the very best items in game are already crafted in a sense (the Mystic Forge is a crafting tool, and in many cases a lot simpler than the 8 disciplines).

What I would like to see are better looking crafted weapons (Why are all races making Quaggan themed weapons by default?), and a few more options for craftable armour.

Ok, but where’s the risk/reward balance currently in GW2? Whatever we do, gamewise, has little detrimental effect on the character. Yes, it’s a game—ie: NOT REAL——-but it still should require some generic thought process — beyond "look-——target———-kill——-loot"—————to really retain player interest. Just look at the insipid “gatherer” daily—————gee—————-go to ANY home base———-use pick————-get 18 of needed 20———————don’t even break a sweat. Good reward———-no risk!!—————————BOOOORING!! —-————-right?

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

No.

Ok, but where’s the risk/reward balance currently in GW2? Whatever we do, gamewise, has little detrimental effect on the character. Yes, it’s a game—ie: NOT REAL——-but it still should require some generic thought process — beyond "look-——target———-kill——-loot"—————to really retain player interest. Just look at the insipid “gatherer” daily—————gee—————-go to ANY home base———-use pick————-get 18 of needed 20———————don’t even break a sweat. Good reward———-no risk!!—————————BOOOORING!! —-————-right?

This is on par with the suggestion that if you die, people should be able to walk up and loot your corpse.

Neither of these will entice people to play or be more careful. Instead people will just be more likely to simply run through, and then drop aggro on the closest other person.

Keep in mind that people don’t always die because it’s their fault. People lag. People disconnect. People get aggro dropped on them by other less than polite kittens. Doesn’t mean they did anything wrong. Breaking armor is punishment enough. Leave it at that.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: snoeckie.9230

snoeckie.9230

Lemme introduce you to a technique in game marketing.
As seen in WoW, simplification appeals to a larger audience.
Compare morrowind to skyrim, the rpg model has dumbed down during then last decennia.
Or compare gw1 to gw2, imo gw1 is more intelligent.
So making something more complex will appeal to a specific audience.
Doesnt mean that u should dumb a complex game down, we all know what happened to SWG.
So ur idea isnt beneficial for the game health and its economic value.

We take what is given and a shinier tomorrow
- Skrittking
#ShinierTomorrow

Posted by: storiessave.3807

storiessave.3807

So a wipe in WvW could mean you lose some of your gear? Lol, no thanks. No one would WvW anymore, and no one would PUG in dungeons because they wouldn’t want to risk wiping, so LFG would be useless.

And crafted gear already is the best you can get, aside from ascended trinkets, which aren’t craftable but still require fractal farming, laurels, or random RNG drops.

Crafting this gear costs hundreds of gold – and that’s ignoring the hundreds of gold it takes to actually level a craft to 500. Your changes would drive people away from the game, not make them have more fun. There’s nothing fun about losing the gear you farmed weeks or months for.

Tarnished Coast

Catorii | Lustre Delacroix | Catorii Desmarais | Synalie

Posted by: Sylvanwood.2746

Sylvanwood.2746

No, not trolling—————-and any chance of losing a weapon would be on the order of .001%. But, if you’re not willing to invest in your (character) own safety, there should? be a cost for your carelessness—————-shouldn’t there?? After all, the critter/foe DID you, didn’kitten And, you WERE carrying the “shiny”, weren’t you?? And, you didn’t think to bring a backup with you, did you??

So what you’re saying is that, just for the sake of making the game “interesting”, there needs to be a risk of losing your stuff JUST FOR essentially playing the game? There’ll be hardly any player interest if that were implemented. Risk can’t involve losing stuff on the level you suggested, OP. It’s no different from saying that if you die, your character is dead forever and you lose your character for good. Sound familiar? Oh yeah: http://diablo.wikia.com/wiki/Hardcore

Thanks for suggesting that Hardcore mode be implemented in GW2 and forced on all players. But no thanks.

There’s enough risk in GW2 to keep it interesting enough. If you want a “more interesting” gathering experience go gather only rich nodes that are guarded by champs for your gathering daily. Maybe some like-minded person will come as your backup. No one’s saying you have to gather those in the home instance for the daily. Then go roam in wvw. Go join/organise a Tequatl or Giant Wurm run. Go do Arah exp. Go. Then come back and tell us there’s no risk in GW2. We won’t hear from you again.

[Jade Quarry]