What GW2 feels like.

What GW2 feels like.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

Hey all

I’ve started playing this game during the 3-day headstart. I had a blast, made new friends, explored, I simply got overwhelmed by the game and can simply say, it was the best game I ever played.

Before you all go “Burn-out”, I’m quite confident that this is not the case. I have stopped playing this game in early August 2013, after about 11 months of playing it (exam breaks included). More and more I saw the gaps in the game:

• lack of PvE end-game of value (everything got repetitive),
  • lack of PvP end-game of value (WvW is rather much the contrary of fun when you are getting smashed by blobs making you lagg and SPvP is hardly a PvP mode at all).
  • and they didn’t fill those gaps, because of the focus on “Living Story”

As I see it, the game was PERFECT for a beta release in the first 1/2 months. What it did fail in was: bug fixing very soon after release (just didn’t happen), adding new content (just didn’t happen either).

Some things could be a lot better in GW2, and those things could and should have been fixed within the first 3 months.
A few examples:
- kicking offline players in World vs. World
- party-leader leaving dungeon deleting the instance;
- population imbalance in World vs. World (server vs. server is a bad system when you don’t make a clear distinction between PvE and PvP players);
- stacking as a dungeon tactic and defiance/unshakeable as a boss mechanic;
- zerging as the main tactic for WvW.

The thing that killed this game, was living story. The attention living story got, was actually something required for creating new maps (PvE/PvP/WvW), weapons, classes, races, skills and so much more. What did we get? Rushed biweekly content with an incoherent and naive story, annoying characters, dumb rewards (minis, backpieces), plenty gem-store purchases, a few implements that ruin QoL (Ascended, Dailies, Achievement Grind)…

Now Anet announces a “traditional” feature patch, but most of the things we’ll get (I speculate) will be things we should have gotten 1 year ago: new wvw maps (EotM), a fix for zerker (but no fix for stacking and bad boss mechanics), accountbound WXP ranks (which weren’t necessary in the first place).

Are you excited? I’m not.
I’m rather disappointed because they wasted over 1 year a half to realise that Living Story IS NOT an equivalent for worthy content.

My hopes for April aren’t very high and I doubt that Anet will bring anything more than fixes and content we should have gotten long ago.

Will I quit this game? Not yet. April/May will be the deciding month though.

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

What GW2 feels like.

Posted by: Cactus.2710

Cactus.2710

Interestingly enough, somebody over at mmorpg.com (a fairly popular MMO website) just recently started a thread asking players which MMO most disappointed them. Not the worst game, but the MMO that least lived up to player expectations for it and least fulfilled it’s potential. Tons of players posted their choice, and GW2 was the runaway winner … even beating out SWTOR.

D/D Thief who prefers mobility to stealth … so yeah, I die a lot
Stormbluff Isle [AoD]

What GW2 feels like.

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Well, the vocal minority probably play WvW alot since that’s where most dedicated players gather (PvE guilds? No one care).

And that is just one big dissapointment that Anet keep ignoring. Sure they have done some impressive things but the core mechanics are still flawed. Hell, they cant even nerf arrowcarts. Something as simple as that, just one thing. Take down the damage a notch because superiors+traits+glitching is completely insane. But no. They dont care.

What GW2 feels like.

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

Interestingly enough, somebody over at mmorpg.com (a fairly popular MMO website) just recently started a thread asking players which MMO most disappointed them. Not the worst game, but the MMO that least lived up to player expectations for it and least fulfilled it’s potential. Tons of players posted their choice, and GW2 was the runaway winner … even beating out SWTOR.

Wildstar would win that if it was the newest thing out so would ESO that just how mmoprg players are they are always disappointed in the last new thing so you got to read more then the words the mmorpg players are using. The fact is that NW simply die off to nothing and there has been no notable mmorpgs out as of late. But ppl are still talking about GW2 how much they hate it or how much they like it this show there is a lot of interested in GW2 more then ppl would like to think. Its like there minds are trapped into thinking on GW2 most of the time.

You may dislike things in GW2 but more then likely your playing it if your not playing it your more then likely on this forum or some other forum talking about it.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

What GW2 feels like.

Posted by: Godmoney.2048

Godmoney.2048

LOL that website also is full of mmo trolls that don’t even play mmo’s because they sit on mmorpg.com complaining.

Don’t come in here and tell us that website is anything to be concerned with. I’ve watched that website for years now and have come to the conclusion that the people on it hardly play mmo’s. They just critique them and climb back into their caves.

I’ve played GW2 every day since launch for at least a hour or 2 most days 3 to 6 hours. No other mmo ever held my attention for more than 6 months and max raid gear.

I love this game and appreciate they experiment and try stuff instead of doing what’s safe.

GW2 is the most successful MMO since WoW and that’s not taken lightly by me. Even if GW2 doesn’t grow at all from this point it’s still going to be super health for at least 3-5 more years.

People are still playing SWTOR and that game is downright bad.

What GW2 feels like.

Posted by: RochelleFreeman.5603

RochelleFreeman.5603

GW2 can be a great game if they just change a few things.

Add instanced world bosses (make them a type of guild mission)
Bring the holy trinity to GW2 (implement it through new profession or new weapons)

What GW2 feels like.

Posted by: Galtrix.7369

Galtrix.7369

The only thread I could find that was related to GW2 was this:

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/403589/page/2

I’m actually sad to say that I agree with most of the people that are hating on GW2. Mainly the part where someone said something like: “They took everything you liked from Guild Wars 1, threw it out the window, and then turned the game into a puzzle jumper”. That was brilliantly said. I pretty much only played this game for the Jumping Puzzles and the dynamic events, but when I was bored with those, I deleted my characters and uninstalled without a second thought.

[~Galtrix~] [~Level 80 Elementalist~] [~GoM~]

What GW2 feels like.

Posted by: Godmoney.2048

Godmoney.2048

I’m actually sad to say that I agree with most of the people that are hating on GW2. Mainly the part where someone said something like: “They took everything you liked from Guild Wars 1, threw it out the window, and then turned the game into a puzzle jumper”. That was brilliantly said. I pretty much only played this game for the Jumping Puzzles and the dynamic events, but when I was bored with those, I deleted my characters and uninstalled without a second thought.

That website is a troll website. You realize that almost every person on that website doesnt play mmo’s or hasn’t in years?

MMORPG didn’t like Gw2 from the very start. That websites sole purpose in life is to troll mmo’s that are running.

Imagine the reviews on Amazon.com or Newegg.com of people who just post negative reviews because they have a grudge even though it’s obvious they never owned that product. That’s the entire user base of mmorpg.com.

What GW2 feels like.

Sirendor.1394

You got to the core of my thread. GW2 had a lot of potential, but they barely used any of it in the time that has passed so far. Now it seems too late.

What GW2 feels like.

Posted by: Galtrix.7369

Galtrix.7369

That website is a troll website. You realize that almost every person on that website doesnt play mmo’s or hasn’t in years?

MMORPG didn’t like Gw2 from the very start. That websites sole purpose in life is to troll mmo’s that are running.

Imagine the reviews on Amazon.com or Newegg.com of people who just post negative reviews because they have a grudge even though it’s obvious they never owned that product. That’s the entire user base of mmorpg.com.

I know. That’s why I said, “I agree with most”. I ignored the poor saps who obviously never played the game, or who obviously just hate on it because they want it to fail.

Though, it’s not fair to judge an entire group for the actions of just a few people. Some people generally wanted to enjoy Guild Wars 2, but just didn’t find any fun in the game… and it shows in their posts.

[~Galtrix~] [~Level 80 Elementalist~] [~GoM~]

What GW2 feels like.

Sirendor.1394

It’s not like mmorpg.com is the only place where people have complaints about this game. I’m sure I’m not the only person who bought this game and is right now quite deliberately saying: it’s not good enough.

As to “it’s obvious they never owned that product”, I’ve played 1600 hours, I have tried every aspect of this game, some more in depth (world vs. world, normal dungeons, jumping puzzles, personal story, different classes & mechanics, lore…), some less (fractals). I don’t have any reason to act as if this game is all bad, because I would really want to like it and play it for many years as I did GW1.

I bought this game, not to say “oh this is bad”, but to enjoy it. Sadly, the game isn’t really being sustained enough by worthy content to keep it enjoyable and I think that it’s too late to come with the things that were obviously needed long ago.
People give up on a game after too many disappointments, for fear that the next time a ‘zomg so great patch’ is announced it will be another fail.

What GW2 feels like.

Posted by: Creeper.9360

Creeper.9360

what does it feel like to play a game you don’t enjoy?

I always quit playing those games. So tell me how it feels?

What GW2 feels like.

Posted by: imsoenthused.1634

imsoenthused.1634

I always quit playing those games. So tell me how it feels?

It’s like taking part in a live performance of a tragedy, full of beauty and poignant sorrow. A horrible, dark world enlivened only by shimmering tears and moonlight reflecting on the shards of shattered dreams.

How do you think it feels? A little fun, but not much, lots of nostalgia for the great game that they chopped in to crap to make this sequel, and lots of unfounded hope that they’ll some how pull their heads out and fix it, so I can love it as much as I loved its older, smarter, more talented brother. Hope, unfortunately, takes a long time to completely crush. So arenanet has to keep working hard, month by month, at completely despoiling their intellectual franchise.

All morons hate it when you call them a moron. – J. D. Salinger

What GW2 feels like.

Posted by: Axelwarrior.9084

Axelwarrior.9084

From what I’m reading, you found the game amazing and then quit because you had more and more expectations from it.
Personally, I really like the living story. It’s everything I’d expect from a constantly changing world. If you don’t like it, I’m afraid this isn’t the game for you.

What GW2 feels like.

Posted by: Treborlavok.3504

Treborlavok.3504

Ignore the fanboys OP… The game is dying, its just a matter of time. The biggest hit will come when they attempt to make the further “balance changes”.

Theyve done nothing but drive the game into the ground and do a 180 of what the game was touted/projected to be.

Yes it was fun when it first came out…. but everything is fun for atleast 6-12 months until you see the true direction of the game.

Yes it was interesting and new… but things never changed and if they did it was always in the wrong direction.

This game is nothing but a placeholder for EQnext/CU/ESO or anything else that comes out with more draw/interest.

Hopefully they take what theyve learned here and realize their mistakes when they make gw3…

Sylvari Engi- Wait! Don’t leaf!
Asura Ele- Sir Im afraid youre short. Why is it always short jokes. No, youre short on the bill.

What GW2 feels like.

Posted by: Zero Day.2594

Zero Day.2594

Like warm apple pie…

Thief Nerf/Change Wish List. Advice List
Join the TEEFs!

What GW2 feels like.

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

What GW2 feels like.

Posted by: ObsiMoth.6342

ObsiMoth.6342

GW2 stuggles to keep me interested for any longer than a month at a time, which is a shame, but I keep coming back because everytime I do I feel like there’s something I haven’t seen or done before. The living story does a good job of offering brief distractions, and the regular updates for it are admirable, but there needs to be something besides them to pass the time in between. I feel like a strong set of new dungeons, a new WvWvW map or instanced raids would alleviate a lot of the problems it has right now.

Introducing the holy trinity system would kill the game stone dead and I don’t get why people are pushing for it so much? Three-headed wurm proves that challenging content is possible without having to conform to traditional MMO standards, and being able to see content regardless of who, what or how you play is the definition of GW2 gameplay. The changes people suggest for the game should be content related, not gameplay related, and if you don’t enjoy how GW2 ‘plays’ then it isn’t the game for you; a little definition is important in a genre saturated with clones of one another, and I think the game does a good job of seperating itself from the crowd.

What GW2 feels like.

Posted by: Juzztn.1305

Juzztn.1305

GW2 has so much potential but Anet keep making decisions that hurt the game, or at best just keep it sitting in a state of mediocrity. They got rid of the trinity but kept trinity mob mechanics. They also made it so you can’t spec into a role. The Damage/Support/Control trinity they wanted to create is impossible because the traits don’t really do anything. And in PvE and WvW it doesn’t matter because it’s just easier and safer to slam DPS on your target and move on.

They need to revamp traits a LOT. They need to change all of these AoE attacks to single target so that the WvW zerg dies.

I really like a lot about the game but there are broken mechanics at the core that will keep it from being as great as it really could be.

What GW2 feels like.

Posted by: redhand.7168

redhand.7168

I think instancing bosses would be a good idea. And adding a definite fail scenario to an instance. And then making the instance difficult for the number of players it’s supposed to have in it.

This would keep huge mobs from coming and walking all over the boss. This would allow ANet to give better probabilities of drops to the bosses because there would be fewer people looting the difficult boss.

What GW2 feels like.

Sirendor.1394

From what I’m reading, you found the game amazing and then quit because you had more and more expectations from it.
Personally, I really like the living story. It’s everything I’d expect from a constantly changing world. If you don’t like it, I’m afraid this isn’t the game for you.

And from what I’m reading you don’t have thought of a needle in connection with the balloon that Living Story really is.
What has living story brought us?

• Molten Facility: dungeon that was temporary
  • Aetherblade Refuge: dungeon that was temporary
  • Bazaar of the Four Winds: new map that was temporary
  • Queen’s Gauntlet: temporary boss fights (this one was actually good)
  • Queen’s Jubilee: a cheap champ farm spot
  • SAB: not a part of this game, but rather something that fits in minecraft
  • Twilight Arbor: permanent dungeon path that now replaces an existing
  • Tequatl Revamp so it requires 100 people. (none of the lower pop servers do it)
  • Tower of Nightmares: temporary map/instance with rather poor mechanics
  • Kessex Hills: permanent transformation so it now looks like a blight.
  • Wintersday & Halloween that don’t count as Living Story (rather holiday events)
  • AND a bi-weekly achievement grind.

Out of all those I see 2 permanent additions.

What would a normal full expansion give us (after 1 year a half), analogy with GW1?
PvE:

• 15-20 new maps (maybe the whole of cantha/elona)
  • ~2 new classes
  • 1 or 2 new races
  • a completely new story based on the new maps
  • a better approach towards dynamic events most likely, making them better and more rewarding
  • possibly a lot of new weapon skills
  • 5+ new dungeons in the new zones, each with their own paths

PvP:

• New game mode(s)
  • New maps (we have gotten 5 new ones over the course of 1 year a half right now, which is rather good)
  • A rework of the rewards for PvP (most likely)

WvW:

• several new maps (since we only have 2 unique maps right now: EB and Borderlands)
  • a better method for upscaling alts (similar to PvP)
  • a ton more of customization options: guild mercenaries; guild missions in World vs. World; custom building of certain things: camps, barricades; ….

What GW2 feels like.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Source please. I would love to see your information showing that almost every person (lets say 90% would qualify as almost) doesn’t play MMOs.

Hmm, oddly enough GW2 has a very high rating score on MMORPG.com. 9.3 or 8.6 out of 10 is far from, “didn’t like.”

And yet that user base gave GW2 an 8.6 out of 10 score.

(edited by Ashen.2907)

What GW2 feels like.

Posted by: Zoid.2568

Zoid.2568

Sorry but nothing killed this game. Your post is invalid.

What GW2 feels like.

Posted by: Pariah.8506

Pariah.8506

It’s like being a pilot after a lift-off; you switch on the auto-pilot occasionally looking at the dashboard to make sure everything is OK while you chat with the other crew members.

The liftoff was great, but all that’s keeping me from parachuting out are the people I’ve met whose company I enjoy. If they weren’t there / would quit, I’d leave this crashing plane in a blink of an eye.

What GW2 feels like.

Posted by: uknortherner.2670

uknortherner.2670

The go and play something else, Sirendor. Nobody’s forcing you to play a game you seem to hate so much.

I stole a special snowflake’s future by exercising my democratic right to vote.

What GW2 feels like.

Posted by: Alienmuppet.1942

Alienmuppet.1942

I do find stacking in dungeons utterly boring. A lot of people just want to get through dungeons as fast as possible for the loot rather than play their way through the dungeons. Recently I went with a group through AC and purposely avoided stacking, and fought every mob we found, and actually moved around while fighting(!) We all found it more fun. It wasn’t about the loot, it was about playing.

However, since getting certain gear such as ascended requires huge amounts of gold, I can see why it ends up going that way.

I’ve been waiting a year for more parts of the map to become explorable; there’s huge areas where you just cannot go yet that’d I’d like to explore.

Zerging.. I have a love/hate relationship with that. It’s fun being with a group, but half the time you can’t really see what is going on and it eventually becomes a mess of AoE effects. Small zergs are fine, but when big blobs hit each-other in WvW it just seems to become a mess. I’m not sure how that could be “fixed” though, it is the nature of a lot of people fighting each other. I suppose the only way would be to make it more realistic in that, you can’t just run through each other, and AoE can also hurt your allies.

It’s the same with some of the world bosses. I think the scaling on some of them is a bit over the top. How can a worm survive that many people battering it with magic/swords/arrows/fire/frost/etc?

I don’t mind the living story so much. Without anything changing it can begin to feel a bit like groundhog day… My only problem with it is it seems to be at the expense of other parts of the game.

Balance is another issue.. And it certainly feels a bit grindy lately if you want to venture into ascended armor land.

But on the positive side, I still love the combat mechanics (playing an ele at least), it feels fluid and responsive, more so than any other MMO I’ve played. I like the graphics, and it keeps me coming back for the moment. PvP is still fun (even though ele is a bit weak and I think condition spamming is far too easy and skill-less). WvW is fun when there aren’t blobs (huge zergs) everywhere.

What GW2 feels like.

Sirendor.1394

The go and play something else, Sirendor. Nobody’s forcing you to play a game you seem to hate so much.

The thing is, I don’t hate this game. I hate what they did to it. The reason why I can’t go for another game is that none are able to beat Guild Wars 2, exactly because of this:

But on the positive side, I still love the combat mechanics (playing an ele at least), it feels fluid and responsive, more so than any other MMO I’ve played. I like the graphics, and it keeps me coming back for the moment. PvP is still fun (even though ele is a bit weak and I think condition spamming is far too easy and skill-less). WvW is fun when there aren’t blobs (huge zergs) everywhere.

The combat is so smooth, better than I ever have experienced it anywhere. The graphics are amazing. The lore is a continuation of GW1, which was a splendid game.

There isn’t any game able to match it, but the mechanics… oh the mechanics. Really A-net needs a limit on zergs for both PvE and WvW. I don’t mind running with a 20-man guild group in WvW because it’s still somewhat tactical and not just auto-attacking and the lagg is bearable at 20v20. Anything that goes above 40v40 is sheer madness.

What GW2 feels like.

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

Source please. I would love to see your information showing that almost every person (lets say 90% would qualify as almost) doesn’t play MMOs.

Hmm, oddly enough GW2 has a very high rating score on MMORPG.com. 9.3 or 8.6 out of 10 is far from, “didn’t like.”

And yet that user base gave GW2 an 8.6 out of 10 score.

@Godmoney’s post is a functional ad hominem, though the target is a website. An ad hominem is a device that is usually resorted to when you feel insecure either in yourself or your argument. And ad hominem’s are stock in trade of those defending the un-defendable.

What GW2 feels like.

Posted by: Sari.9836

Sari.9836

@ OP
I agree. And I think other players who enjoyed the game, got vocal but resigned and quit may most likely too.
I would like to add some points though:

• Living story is not bad. It is nothing new though as other games bring in changes through patches too. So I doubt it is really innovative and was just a marketing step.
    The speed is fast though, really fast.
  • Split Balance is still not there. As a long-time, experienced sPvPer (3rd account here), I felt the urge for months to have a seperate balance and I think I am not the only one who would agree but also some players from WvW and PvE. This could include a trait revamp as a poster above me mentioned but I feel that a revision of the whole trait system and more freedom of stats and traits (while some could be prohibited or blank in PvE, WvW or sPvP for example) would be nice.
    In the end, the decisions of the developers with a homogenized balance just hurts us all.
  • Gem Store and RNG. The dye packs are the last remaining rng in the gem store besides minis. I would have these be distributed seperately and without RNG to allow a direct purchase. Dyes would be soul-bound on pick-up by mail and minis could get some lower cost of gems.

What GW2 feels like.

Posted by: VOLKON.1290

VOLKON.1290

The problem with mmorpg though is that people there bash GW2 out of habit because it’s daring to do something different and proving to be more successful than most of their favorite games. Look at the posts some time… people attack the game for things that don’t even exist in the game (P2W cash shop for example, buying ascended gear for gems, other ridiculous claims), so as far as getting anything resembling an honest opinion of GW2 you need to stay far far away from mmorpg.

One thing I noticed is people that claimed to play it for a couple weeks at launch then quit still troll the GW2 forums just to bash the game yet demonstrate no actual working knowledge of the game. It’s almost embarrassing to read some of the dung they make up.

#TeamJadeQuarry

What GW2 feels like.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

The OP has some valid points about problems in this game that need to be fixed. But I completely disagree that the Living Story destroyed this game. In fact, since the game still exists and seems to have players in it, one would think it’s not been destroyed at all.

I do know a lot of people don’t like the living story but I also know that a lot of people do like the living story.

Obviously people who don’t like it feel the game is ruined by it and those who like it, like me, may very well think the game was saved by it.

What GW2 feels like.

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

I didn’t like the living story before. But I get to love it. Because I’m too old to do any grinding content.

I just do the living story once get the achievement and I’m done for half a month.

What GW2 feels like.

Posted by: Ronah.2869

Ronah.2869

GW2 feels boring if you play alone or you are one of those lazy people who doesn’t like exploring and having a bit of challenge. The music is one factor which can create this boredom. It is too much laid back music and less action.

Other then what i said above, GW2 beats for me all the MMOs in the market with its landscape graphics, combat mechanics, skill effects and personal storyline

What GW2 feels like.

Sirendor.1394

The OP has some valid points about problems in this game that need to be fixed. But I completely disagree that the Living Story destroyed this game. In fact, since the game still exists and seems to have players in it, one would think it’s not been destroyed at all.

I do know a lot of people don’t like the living story but I also know that a lot of people do like the living story.

Obviously people who don’t like it feel the game is ruined by it and those who like it, like me, may very well think the game was saved by it.

Hi Vayne. I understand you disagree and I’m okay with it, just allow me to clarify what I ment with it.

The game is not dead at this moment so in principle, no living story did not kill it… but in the future (mid this year, next year) GW2 will get into a struggle to keep it’s head above the water with games like Wildstar, ESO and EQN launching. That’s obviously quite normal, because new games always have more new content to offer than existing ones.

In this case however, I don’t see what GW2 can offer that isn’t in those other games and most likely will be better in those games. Living Story is fine, if you like stories, but for me it is not equal to what a traditional expansion would have given us. In the first year I was totally okay to pay an expansion. By this time, I’m doubtful if I would purchase one, given that I can go play a completely new game for the same price.

So yes, indirectly Living Story may cost GW2 a lot of their playerbase in the year to come, because it reduced attention for other parts of the game that are in a rather sorry state (the same state as they were at launch actually): SPvP, WvW.

Edit: decided that that was not all. :P

To add, I don’t think that this game is necessarily done for. The more time I spend reflecting on it, the more I HOPE that it will not. So let this thread be a (timely?) warning to ArenaNet and hope that they manage to add enough content of worth in the feature patch coming April/May to satisfy their player.

(edited by Sirendor.1394)

What GW2 feels like.

laokoko.7403

Anet did make an interview saying they’d change the living story format after march, and make larger patch.

What GW2 feels like.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Hi Vayne. I understand you disagree and I’m okay with it, just allow me to clarify what I ment with it.

The game is not dead at this moment so in principle, no living story did not kill it… but in the future (mid this year, next year) GW2 will get into a struggle to keep it’s head above the water with games like Wildstar, ESO and EQN launching. That’s obviously quite normal, because new games always have more new content to offer than existing ones.

In this case however, I don’t see what GW2 can offer that isn’t in those other games and most likely will be better in those games. Living Story is fine, if you like stories, but for me it is not equal to what a traditional expansion would have given us. In the first year I was totally okay to pay an expansion. By this time, I’m doubtful if I would purchase one, given that I can go play a completely new game for the same price.

So yes, indirectly Living Story may cost GW2 a lot of their playerbase in the year to come, because it reduced attention for other parts of the game that are in a rather sorry state (the same state as they were at launch actually): SPvP, WvW.

To add, I don’t think that this game is necessarily done for. The more time I spend reflecting on it, the more I HOPE that it will not. So let this thread be a (timely?) warning to ArenaNet and hope that they manage to add enough content of worth in the feature patch coming April/May to satisfy their player.

There’s an interesting conclusion you’re drawing though. You’re assuming Guild Wars 2 will keep it’s head above water. I’m assuming no such thing. Because those others games are either being made to cater to a different crowd, or because those other games may not be all they’re built up to be.

I played the ESO beta and I really enjoyed the franchise. But it does have a subscription fee and it is made more for console than for computer. Will a lot of people buy it…no doubt. Will a lot of Guild Wars 2 players buy it and stick with it?

A lot of people play this game because it doesn’t have a monthly fee. That alone will keep this game going. And a lot of people have time and energy invested in the game. I don’t know about you but for a lot of us, if we’re happy where we are, we don’t go out and just start looking for new MMOs because we’ve invested time and energy in the old MMOs.

I didn’t leave Guild Wars 1 to play Rift, until I’d done every last bit of content and nothing particularly new was coming out. I’d never have gone to Rift at all if Guild Wars 1 had new content, because I enjoyed the game.

For people NOT enjoying the game, many of them will leave…but for people enjoying the game…starting over isn’t all that fun. And keep in mind that if you leave to play something else, there’s a chance you’ll miss some content. If you like the game you might not want to miss content.

I’m under the impression that despite the obvious discontent of some on the forums, there’s a pretty big group of people who really like this game…my guess is enough to support it even with the people leaving.

But do you really think Anet has nothing in store to combat these games coming out? Nothing new up their sleeves? Nothing they’re saving to make this game more appealing?

I think that’s extremely unlikely.

I do agree people who don’t like the game will leave…but I think you underestimate how many like the game and have a whole lot less reason to start over elsewhere.

What GW2 feels like.

laokoko.7403

You dont’ know the power of not having a sub fee means. Most likely GW2 will have a much easier time keeping people because of that.

GW2 will also try to release the game in other region so that’ll stay put for a while.

What GW2 feels like.

Cactus.2710

LOL that website also is full of mmo trolls that don’t even play mmo’s because they sit on mmorpg.com complaining.

Don’t come in here and tell us that website is anything to be concerned with. I’ve watched that website for years now and have come to the conclusion that the people on it hardly play mmo’s. They just critique them and climb back into their caves.

I’ve played GW2 every day since launch for at least a hour or 2 most days 3 to 6 hours. No other mmo ever held my attention for more than 6 months and max raid gear.

I love this game and appreciate they experiment and try stuff instead of doing what’s safe.

GW2 is the most successful MMO since WoW and that’s not taken lightly by me. Even if GW2 doesn’t grow at all from this point it’s still going to be super health for at least 3-5 more years.

People are still playing SWTOR and that game is downright bad.

I honestly don’t know whether MMORPG.com is a troll site or not (I do know that it draws a lot of fans and often has some useful features), but you could say the exact same thing about this forum. A very high percentage of the people who post here are unhappy with the state of the game … that’s the nature of forums.

It doesn’t really matter anyway since the question was asked by a fan … it wasn’t an editorial. The question asked was (paraphrasing) —- which single MMO most disappointed you in terms of what it delivered versus your expectation for it? GW2 came out on top by a landslide. You could ask a bunch of prison inmates which was their favorite basketball player and you’d likely get virtually the same result as if you’d asked a bunch of Walmart employees (not to imply that the population groups are mutually exclusive).

Here’s the link to the thread …. http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/403593/page/1

If you had actually checked out the thread you’d see that there were a wide variety of reasons why people voted GW2 the most disappointing, many of which neither you nor I would agree with, but the common impression expressed by all was that GW2 had far more potential than ANet capitalized on. People simply expected more based upon the early hype and promise. As best I can tell, the devs who created this game are not the same as those who are currently calling the shots for its continued development. I see very few of the same names as I did back around launch, and in my opinion there have been far more fumbles than touchdowns since then.

By the way, you say you love this game, and that’s fine, but you also point out that lots of people still play SWTOR even though that game truly sucks. Kinda negates your point. Right now, lots of people (including me) are still playing GW2 because there isn’t anything much better out there … but that doesn’t mean that we’re happy with the game or will stay with it much longer. ANet should be pretty concerned about that even if you and the other fanboys aren’t.

Stormbluff Isle [AoD]

What GW2 feels like.

laokoko.7403

I’m a constant visitor to mmorpg.com. The way I see it all game forums are filled with complaint. I havn’t play a single mmorpg forum which isn’t spamed by complaints.

Because to be honest. Only complainer logs of the forum. If the game is interested enough you’ll be playing the game instead of browsing the forum…

Which reminds me I probably spend more time on the forum than playing GW2….

What GW2 feels like.

Posted by: mesme.5028

mesme.5028

I do wonder if gw2 will hold a fan base and last like the original game,
i hope it does but i doubt it.

What GW2 feels like.

Posted by: Gallows.4318

Gallows.4318

I don’t see any game now or in the somewhat near future that can match what I want in a MMO.

Core features:
- PvE without running back to the quest giver.
- PvP (open world mostly, so WvW covers this for me).
- No gear grind forever (exotics are easy, ascended achievable but hard, flat progression).
- Pick the look of your character, transfer stats.
- Defined classes with different play styles
- Quick to max level.

GW2 gives me all I want. I can’t see wild star (typical theme park mmo with actionish combat), ESO, EQN or any other mmo fulfilling my criteria. GW2 is actually the first game to do so. Enjoyed DAoC, but the levelling to join PvP was lame.

GW2 may not be perfect, but that doesn’t matter much, when no other game comes close to delivering what I want. It’s that simple for me. GW2 is the only game – I didn’t even like GW1 that much (just played it once in a while).

What GW2 feels like.

Posted by: Maverick Holix.1382

Maverick Holix.1382

I’m ready for Gw3 release

twitch.tv/maverick_holix

What GW2 feels like.

Posted by: Space Odin.2605

Space Odin.2605

This game was a huge disappointment to me. I don’t know if I set my expectations too high or what, but I was hoping it would do what WoW did for me and make not want to log out for days, but I couldn’t even make it past level 22.

What GW2 feels like.

Posted by: JerekLo.5893

JerekLo.5893

Stuff like this reminds me of all the “guild wars is dying” posts from the guild wars 1 days. If your game is “dying” for seven years, it might not be dying. That’s all I’m saying.

I’m sure the game may not live up to everyone’s expectations, but it’ll be around for a long time on the fact it’s buy to play alone. It hasn’t even reached the Asian markets yet.

Me personally? I’m enjoying it. It needs more skills and something really big to galvanize what they’re shooting for execution wise, but I’m having fun with it.

Jerek Lo | Singh | Slagg Blackclaw | Wilhelm von Wilhelm | Viscerious
Sorrow’s Furnace
Kabal of the Righteous [Seed]

What GW2 feels like.

Posted by: Scumbag Mawile.6384

Scumbag Mawile.6384

I was agreeing with your post until about the halfway mark where you started calling everything bad. If everything was bad, no one would be playing.

As far as updates go, the main suffering point (imo) is the massive focus on temporary content over adding permanent content and, most of all, improving what already was. It’s especially incomprehensible because keeping LS content wouldn’t even disrupt the boost in gem purchases they get from every new LS theme release. Such a waste of good content (and, for the most part, it has been good content).

Here’s hoping the amount of temporary and permanent content we’re getting with LS updates switches places. Lore is important, but if Aetherpath stayed, why couldn’t the MAF (by far the most popular of the new dungeons)? Why not the Queen’s jubilee? My little bb Liadri feels special, sure, but no reason you couldn’t have kept it. Hell, you could’ve kept it and added the occasional contender from new LS updates! I’m sure the various alliances, with all of their trademark mechanics, could’ve provided a ton of easily-implemented solo bosses that would offer something up for the many PvEers seeking a challenge (with some achievements along with them, of course).

I wouldn’t say the game is dying/hopeless, but they do need to make some changes to keep people in it and keep people coming.

Disciple of Quag

What GW2 feels like.

Sirendor.1394

There’s an interesting conclusion you’re drawing though. You’re assuming Guild Wars 2 will keep it’s head above water. I’m assuming no such thing. Because those others games are either being made to cater to a different crowd, or because those other games may not be all they’re built up to be.

I played the ESO beta and I really enjoyed the franchise. But it does have a subscription fee and it is made more for console than for computer. Will a lot of people buy it…no doubt. Will a lot of Guild Wars 2 players buy it and stick with it?

A lot of people play this game because it doesn’t have a monthly fee. That alone will keep this game going. And a lot of people have time and energy invested in the game. I don’t know about you but for a lot of us, if we’re happy where we are, we don’t go out and just start looking for new MMOs because we’ve invested time and energy in the old MMOs.

I didn’t leave Guild Wars 1 to play Rift, until I’d done every last bit of content and nothing particularly new was coming out. I’d never have gone to Rift at all if Guild Wars 1 had new content, because I enjoyed the game.

For people NOT enjoying the game, many of them will leave…but for people enjoying the game…starting over isn’t all that fun. And keep in mind that if you leave to play something else, there’s a chance you’ll miss some content. If you like the game you might not want to miss content.

I’m under the impression that despite the obvious discontent of some on the forums, there’s a pretty big group of people who really like this game…my guess is enough to support it even with the people leaving.

But do you really think Anet has nothing in store to combat these games coming out? Nothing new up their sleeves? Nothing they’re saving to make this game more appealing?

I think that’s extremely unlikely.

I do agree people who don’t like the game will leave…but I think you underestimate how many like the game and have a whole lot less reason to start over elsewhere.

Agreed. We’ll see what way it turns and maybe your optimism is well founded and they do have more cards up their sleeves than I expect at first sight. If they released Dominion of Winds… tasty. :P

And thanks to everyone who took part in this discussion. There are some valid arguments here, from both sides, and I think Anet would do well to listen to them, to improve their game.

(edited by Sirendor.1394)

What GW2 feels like.

Posted by: Baels.3469

Baels.3469

ESO and DAOC will take many RvR and ESO lore loving players.

WildStar will take the players thirsting for challenging raid content and PvP.

Some of these players will come crawling back to Guild Wars 2 when they’re bored of those new games. Guild Wars 2 will probably have the features it’s been lacking by then, maybe. Guild Wars 2 is B2P. This is it’s advantage.

Many Guild Wars 1 vet’s played it alongside another MMO, or went back and forth. It was always the games pull. The same is already true for it’s successor.

Not saying I don’t think ArenaNet should pull their heads out of their ………. though. Wouldn’t mind actually seeing something of substance added to WvW in the next 37 years.

Blackgate
[MERC] – Oceanic

What GW2 feels like.

Cactus.2710

ESO and DAOC will take many RvR and ESO lore loving players.

WildStar will take the players thirsting for challenging raid content and PvP.

Some of these players will come crawling back to Guild Wars 2 when they’re bored of those new games. Guild Wars 2 will probably have the features it’s been lacking by then, maybe. Guild Wars 2 is B2P. This is it’s advantage.

Many Guild Wars 1 vet’s played it alongside another MMO, or went back and forth. It was always the games pull. The same is already true for it’s successor.

Not saying I don’t think ArenaNet should pull their heads out of their ………. though. Wouldn’t mind actually seeing something of substance added to WvW in the next 37 years.

I played Rift for 18 months and greatly enjoyed many aspects of that game, but was totally disenchanted with the stupid waste of potential that was Conquest … the game’s version of WvW. Many of us looked forward to the large scale PvP that GW2 was promising for WvW, and the Rift forums were packed with predictions that we’d “all come crawling back”. Guess what … we didn’t. The same thing is likely to happen here with GW2 now that ANet has demonstrated so conclusively that they have neither the interest nor the insight to address the many shortfalls of GW2, particularly WvW. Disenchanted players will choose an upcoming alternative, and unless it sucks as badly as SWTOR they aren’t likely to abandon their new game until something better yet comes along. Second chances are a rare thing in this market.

Ironically enough, GW2 had the potential to keep me here forever, but somehow ANet couldn’t see the same potential that the rest of us did. If you step back and look at what ANet has done to the game … short-sheeting PvE with LS, crippling sPvP with brain dead maps and game play, and actually screwing WvW up worse than it was at launch (how does any game designer manage to do that?) … it’s like ANet gave up on the game before we did. Truly sad.

Stormbluff Isle [AoD]

What GW2 feels like.

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

I think the problem for many who don’t like GW2 is they paid money for an MMO, and recieved a gem-store driven theme park.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

What GW2 feels like.

Posted by: Ronah.2869

Ronah.2869

I think the problem for many who don’t like GW2 is they paid money for an MMO, and recieved a gem-store driven theme park.

For 50 bucks they received so much content as in 10-15 single player games