What happen to Fractals Leaderboard?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Flash.6912

Flash.6912

When can we this Fractal Leaderboard goes live?

R.I.P Kumu <3

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

As per the release notes, when they feel that have gathered enough data to populate them reasonably.

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

Unfortunately they are now realizing that either there are not enough players that do fractals for them to get enough data for a leaderboard.

It would be very bad for them if they released a leaderboard with only 2000-3000 names on it when supposedly 3.5 million people bought the game.

I’m sure in another few weeks once they realize the numbers just aren’t there they will release a very simple leaderboard that only shows the top 1000 players or so and doesn’t have sorting/searching capabilities due to “technical difficulties”. That or they may just forget about it all together and hope we do too.

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

Since all the Leaderboards only show the top 1000, I don’t see why you would expect anything else.

Posted by: Vissarion.6509

Vissarion.6509

Because you will see what? 1000 players at lvl50??

So what?

They called us TEMPESTs, but we can use our elite to cheat death instead

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

Because you will see what? 1000 players at lvl50??

This is exactly why this leaderboard is irrelevant and not a priority for ANet.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Posted by: Verdelet Arconia.6987

Verdelet Arconia.6987

I would use the fractal leaderboard as an aid to LFG actually. Hard to find a group for scale 41-50 since I pug from 31-49. Only had 1 guildmate that occasionally party up with me if our schedule match.

(edited by Verdelet Arconia.6987)

Posted by: velmeister.4187

velmeister.4187

Leaderboard for a dungeon is a stupid idea.

Most of us who were at lvl 48+ are now getting 1/2 the tokens with similar drops for more effort because we all were pushed down to 30. Grinding up back again may not be a monumental task but, what exactly is the point? What do we get that we did not get before in our last 1000+ fractal runs?

Instabilities are also absolutely pointless addition to this dungeon. There will be no group that will be doing a particular fractal level again and again just because of the challenging instability. In the next few months, the fractal system will evolve into a select few fractal levels being done to aid progression or farming depending on the relative ease of the corresponding instabilities. So, PUGs are pretty much in a HOLD mode right now while trying to join groups that are doing the lvls with easier instabilities to progress/farm. For some odd reason, instabilities at 40+ lvls seem easier when compared to 30+.

Many people like me enjoy pugging because it netted us many new friends and sometimes introduced us to the players who stayed on mutual friend-list for future adventure opportunities. It is hard to find people to PUG 40+ fractals now. With the new Fractal update ANET has killed higher lvl Fractals for people like me.

What’s the point of being in top 1000 when there are probably less than that playing it?

“If there is anyone here whom I have not offended, I am sorry.”

Posted by: Vorch.2985

Vorch.2985

The fractal leaderboard actually makes no sense to me at all.

Give the world first for level 50 in NA and EU a prize.

Then, give the fastest clear for each level from 31-50 each week (20 possible winners each week) prizes:

• A unique ascended fractal weapon from box (different color…i.e. white with a black trail on swing)
  • A unique ascended back piece to stand out (unique reskin of fractal capacitor with effects).
  • 400 gems (ikr!)

That would actually get people to be competitive when playing fractals every week instead of a leaderboard that you can’t possibly have any chance of getting on after world firsts.

Here’s what people thought of GW1 when it first came out: http://tinyurl.com/bntcvyc
“A release is 7 days or less away or has just happened within the last 7 days…
These are the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria.”

Posted by: ColinJohanson.2394

ColinJohanson.2394

Game Director

We’re holding the leaderboard for now to see if we can’t decide on a better way to help differentiate people on it who are all at the same tier, other than just the first who got there specifically. Once we have decided that, we’ll need to code, test, and vet it and then update the leaderboards to reflect the new tracking.

Posted by: Blaeys.3102

Blaeys.3102

Like others, Im not a fan of leaderboards for a dungeon.

One of the things I love about GW2 is that PVE has always been a cooperative experience where players are encouraged to be inclusive, leaving the truly competitive side of the game to WvW and sPvP.

Posted by: Ethics.4519

Ethics.4519

We’re holding the leaderboard for now to see if we can’t decide on a better way to help differentiate people on it who are all at the same tier, other than just the first who got there specifically. Once we have decided that, we’ll need to code, test, and vet it and then update the leaderboards to reflect the new tracking.

But leaderboards was the reason given for resetting our levels =(
So that we would be on equal footing for the race to the top of the leaderboards! Hoorah!

"
Announcing Fractals of the Mists Leaderboards

Soon you can earn the envy and adulation of your friends and total strangers through our new leaderboards, which show off the players with the highest fractal levels! As part of the introduction of leaderboards, everyone whose current personal reward level for the Fractals of the Mists is above 30 will be reset to 30 so the competition can begin in earnest."

RIP in peace Robert

(edited by Ethics.4519)

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

Time taken to complete individual Fractals?

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Posted by: mexay.3902

mexay.3902

Why would you even announce a feature that you have literally no plans to actually release while the update is still up, or at least within a reasonable timeframe?

I mean, the fractal weapon chests aren’t even in the loot tables of the game, yet you announced them. This is just… I don’t even. Come on guys, you know better than this as a company.

This is literally what you’ve said:

“Hey guys! With this update we’re adding this awesome new thing… haha gotcha there! Maybe next time, chumps!”

If you aren’t ready to release it as part of the update, don’t announce it as part of the update. It would be like saying precursor crafting was coming with Ascended Armorsmithing. You clearly aren’t ready to release it, so there’s no point in announcing it.

I understand you wanted to wait for additional data before introducing the new leaderboards, but come on. You can at least try to test your stuff. Clearly the whole system wasn’t even ready to collect data. With the weapon boxes, they apparently aren’t even available until higher levels which you haven’t even released yet.

Next time, just remember that a little rewording could have gone a long way.

“Hey guys, with the coming changes to fractals, we’ve got plans to introduce a new leaderboard, the current system isn’t quite ready yet, but it’s coming as part of the new changes and levels we’ll be rolling out to fractals over the coming months. Stay tuned!”

and

“Hey guys! We’ve introduced a new Fractal Weapon Chest. It’s not available at the current levels, but when they’re released, it’ll be a rare drop from the daily boss chest.”

Not that hard. I’d rather be disappointed that it’s not there with the patch, but know it’s coming, rather than be borderline lied to.

noice

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

Time taken to complete individual Fractals?

That would make a giant mess of a leaderboard. They’d have to split it into a leaderboard for every fractal, ranking it by time completion and level, unless they wanted to potentially have the same person on the board multiple times.

They could do time taken to complete 1 entire run or the level boss, but that’s not really fair due to fractal RNG. To reduce that RNG, they would have to remove the randomness as to which fractal you could get and instead, make the specific combination of fractals always occur at the specific level. Removing the RNG could be a good thing, since then people wouldn’t be able to re-roll it and they could balance the instabilities to be more specific, but at the same time, that would mean people would be doing the same few fractals over and over and over (level 50).

Even then, both options are going to make it so there’ll always be 5 people tied. It’d be better if it could be grouped by groups/guilds, since individual ranking is kind of pointless when it’s a group activity.

Posted by: Gnat.9405

Gnat.9405

With all due respect, how was this not considered before the announcement of a leader board?

Could you use total-accumulated fractal relics?

Posted by: chemiclord.3978

chemiclord.3978

I had thought the point of resetting the levels was so that people couldn’t just pick and choose their Mistlock Instability right off the bat, and making them experience them all one at a time.

The leaderboard struck me as sort of tacked on rather than the reason for the change.

Posted by: rfdarko.4639

rfdarko.4639

My advice, just scrap the idea. Hope that everyone eventually forgets about it like the level reset. Trying to create a competitive leaderboard for something that is by its nature a highly RNG experience makes little sense.

guildless hobo who likes to solo – [x]

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

First of all, to both the Fractal players and to ANet. I may not laugh at your pain over this mess, but I’d be lying if I said I didn’t at least chuckle at it.

My advice, just scrap the idea. Hope that everyone eventually forgets about it like the level reset. Trying to create a competitive leaderboard for something that is by its nature a highly RNG experience makes little sense.

This right here, listen to this person. Doing a leaderboard for a dungeon that gives randomized levels is questionable at best. Add in the Instabilities and how they play differently with some of the Fractals, and it’s more of a luck tracker than a skill tracker.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

No use to have a leaderboard for fractals unless you remove the level cap and check the top 100 for exploiters/bug abusers.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

Posted by: docMed.7692

docMed.7692

Like others, Im not a fan of leaderboards for a dungeon.

One of the things I love about GW2 is that PVE has always been a cooperative experience where players are encouraged to be inclusive, leaving the truly competitive side of the game to WvW and sPvP.

I don’t see a single thing wrong with competition and leaderboards. Those who already speed run/etc exist and I’m sure would love to measure up clear times. Those who already are not interested, will continue to be not interested.

ZudetGambeous.9573

So the whole fractals release was mostly smoke and mirrors? Half the stuff announced for the patch apparently hasn’t even started to be developed yet?

2-week content strikes again… if you guys don’t abandon this failed model soon there won’t be anyone left.

Posted by: Scizzor.8137

Scizzor.8137

I would prefer they just don’t make it and use their time for something more interesting.

Posted by: Bagel.4598

Bagel.4598

I don’t think the leaderboard was ever really intended.
I think it was a half-thought justification to bring all the high levelled people down to make Fractals and the Fractured update less intimidating to those who rarely played it or didn’t play above mid-level.
They really don’t care one way or another about what they do to players so long as they get more people participating or at least logging on to check “new content”.
The high level people had already experienced Fractals and it was a small group by comparison to other areas of the game so what do they care, really?

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

They will never ever release a leaderboard that’s based on how fast people run fractals/dungeons. With the enormous number of exploits that they never intend to patch, such a leaderboard would actually look really bad for Anet.

Posted by: Roymahboy.9318

Roymahboy.9318

A leaderboard for a dungeon should, in my opinion, be handled like in Diablo II where they keep a ladder system, so for fractals it could be divided on ladder and non-ladder, and ladder players must start from level 1 and ascend to the highest level possible in a certain time frame, and of course should be rewarded accordingly to the effort made.

(edited by Roymahboy.9318)

Posted by: Sina.9208

Sina.9208

This is not fair to the ppl that put hard effort to climbing the “leaderboards” …

Posted by: Manuhell.2759

Manuhell.2759

Imho, it should be a sort of point system, with a leaderboard per every fractal level.
Something like:
Any fractal can give up to 100 points as long as the group is below a certain time threshold, different per fractal type and eventually even per level. If above said threshold, the points begin tickling down to a base reward.
There could be additional modifiers as well – points per enemies defeated, for example (something that would be applied to non-respawning ones) and points detracted when party members get defeated or downed (a full wipe already lenghten the time to complete, so it is bad enough by itself).
As long as any fractal in the same tier gives the same maximum amount of points – thus the score isn’t rng dependant per se – it is all fine and well.

Heh, they could even give additional rewards based on the score obtained, assuming they’re balanced well enough.

Posted by: Maileen.1065

Maileen.1065

WildStar is looking better and better with every post I read from Anet.

Anet keep shooting yourself in the foot. Those of us who spend money on gems will gladly toss a mere $15 at WildStar.

Posted by: Patrikan Habaton.2548

Patrikan Habaton.2548

This is not fair to the ppl that put hard effort to climbing the “leaderboards” …

And it’s not fair for People that put in hard effort and get drawn back by RNG and a mai trin fractals on 37. And it’s not fair for People who actually played fractals before and who were on top of the “leaderboards” when they not existed. For the People that really put in effort and were the first on 80… this leaderbaords are meaningless anyway.They can’t track down anything that is fair.

Given that you wanna track down time: People Need to just redo all Levels to get a better time wich is quite pointless and not big of an achievment + it depends what fractals you get.
World first is also pointless cause there were bugs at release.
Only way to make leaderboards having some Kind of sence is to make fractal Levels infinite and so hard that some People can’t Progress anymore and others can.

Btw I sit myself at 50 since 4 days after patch but I don’t care about leaderboards I never did I was one of the first on scale 81 if not the first and still Idc I grinded this Content for challenge not for having my Progress reset and my Name somhwere visible for some random guys that don’t care.

first scale 81 fractals

Posted by: Metatail.1306

Metatail.1306

Idea – make Fractal Profiles instead.
Could use data like highest level reached, most cleared level, slowest/average/fastest completion (per level or fractal), completion per profession, highest AR, most and least played fractal, fractals achievements etc.. In the future it could be expanded with PvE and PvP aspects and would make a whole Account Profile.

Posted by: ozma.3498

ozma.3498

That’s good to hear. Any word on whether or not people who hit 50 (or higher) before Fractured will get some kind of special title or achievement for doing so?

Posted by: ozma.3498

ozma.3498

And also, I agree that just scrapping leaderboards for fractals would be the best idea. Having leaderboards for fractals makes no sense. PvE leaderboards for things like Challenge Missions made sense (in GW1), but not fractals.

Posted by: Nike Porphyrogenita.8137

Nike Porphyrogenita.8137

We lost all our pre-patch progression. It sucked, but at least we thought, “we’ll get Fractal Weapon Boxes which should be cool” and "hey maybe the leaderboard will be cool too.’ So all we are left with now is “it sucked.”

Death and Taxes [DnT]
http://www.twitch.tv/nike_dnt
DnT is Recruiting – http://www.dtguilds.com/

Posted by: XarOneZeroNine.2374

XarOneZeroNine.2374

Simply put. This.

And this.

Could use data like highest level reached, most cleared level, slowest/average/fastest completion (per level or fractal), completion per profession, highest AR, most and least played fractal, fractals achievements etc.. In the future it could be expanded with PvE and PvP aspects and would make a whole Account Profile.

Posted by: Flash.6912

Flash.6912

I was just wondering, do we have just to reach 50 or have to beat 50 too to be on leaderboard?

R.I.P Kumu <3

Posted by: Mad Rasputin.7809

Mad Rasputin.7809

Why are they even spending more resources/time on this silly idea?

Posted by: Bright.9160

Bright.9160

It’s funny how disappointing this entire patch was. I knew it was going to be disappointing, but they really struck the ball out of the park with this one. I used to compare it with the last season of Lost, but I think they’ve even surpassed that. At the moment the disappointment is venturing near the ending to Knowing.

Some part of me thinks this entire patch was a bet:

Anet employee 1: “Hey, wanna see who can make the most people quit with a single patch?”

Anet employee 2: “Sure, I’ll convince the Living Story department to keep Scarlet around for a bit longer, what are you going to do?”

Anet employee 1: “I’ll rework Fractals, promise a bunch of stuff, erase people’s progression, and then not deliver anything of the stuff I promised.”

Anet employee 2: “Wow, I thought my idea was evil.”

Anet employee 1: “Oh, and I forgot to mention, I’ll add more Dredge to the Dredge Fractal.”

Anet employee 2: “Ho there Satan, contain yourself.”

Well, there’s one big plus to the entire Fractured saga. It made me lose all interest in this game and especially the studio producing it right before finals hit, so I guess that’s a good thing.

Legion of Doom [LOD] – Death ’n Taxes [DnT]
“People wanting content where Berserker sucks should remember that it needs be so hard
that they will cry, not just a river, but a huge ocean.” – Wethospu

Posted by: Rama.6439

Rama.6439

Now that you guys are getting rid of Glory, are you all gonna reset spvp ranks? seems only fair. I mean you reset Fractal levels for this leaderboard to give people a fair chance, now with the restructing of spvp some people might want to get into spvp, how about resetting them ranks to give others a fair chance?

I mean I know that the people who have build up a high rank in spvp wouldn’t like that but hey, those players that build up a high level in fractals didn’t like having their levels reset either, but that’s how it goes aye?

Bump

Simply put. This.

And this.

I just don’t see why they didn’t just scrap the whole leaderboard idea and went with character profiles in the first place, I loved that about WoW. The WoW armory was a cool idea by Blizz. Anet should of done something similar.

Arcubus Balefire – 80 Guardian
Välkyri – 80 Warrior
JQ[Lulz] – Kill fur Thrillz…

(edited by Rama.6439)

Posted by: Ethics.4519

Ethics.4519

I had thought the point of resetting the levels was so that people couldn’t just pick and choose their Mistlock Instability right off the bat, and making them experience them all one at a time.

The leaderboard struck me as sort of tacked on rather than the reason for the change.

I thought this too. And then I realized that all it takes is a group (or even one person) to get to 50, then the rest can just skip them anyway.

The update really made me upset, so I didn’t play for awhile. Now that I’m back, most my friends are upper 30s, and obviously a good number of people have gotten to 50 already (yay leaderboards and challenge lol). So if I wanted to, I could just skip the levels I don’t like, by partying with people already at 50.

The two reasons given, are completely nullified, which means the reset was crap in the first place and should have never happened.

RIP in peace Robert

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

Anet keep shooting yourself in the foot. Those of us who spend money on gems will gladly toss a mere $15 at WildStar.

a game i have to pay a sub for with weekly raid locks? no thanks.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

ZudetGambeous.9573

Or a game that deliberately makes bad design decisions in order to promote the sale of overpriced gem store items, and doesn’t release new rewards in the game but instead puts them in the gem store. Also pushes a constant stream of ever removed content at an unsustainable pace (bug and quality wise) in order to keep releasing themed gem store items.

I was all like yay B2P when this game came out… I will never play a game without a sub again.

Posted by: angelpaladin.7921

angelpaladin.7921

Anet had to do something to stop the backlash from the community about losing progression… They made up some fake leaderboard information to feed us in hopes we would quiet down. Sadly it worked except now when they do finally add “Leader Boards” there going to have to reset every ones progress a 2nd time and the back lash is going to be far worse….

Posted by: angelpaladin.7921

angelpaladin.7921

Or a game that deliberately makes bad design decisions in order to promote the sale of overpriced gem store items, and doesn’t release new rewards in the game but instead puts them in the gem store. Also pushes a constant stream of ever removed content at an unsustainable pace (bug and quality wise) in order to keep releasing themed gem store items.

I was all like yay B2P when this game came out… I will never play a game without a sub again.

I agree Guildwars2 and Starwars the Old Republic are two of the best reason’s free2play does not work. Micro Transactions are great and all but when content lacks and gem stores get none stop updates its gets old.

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

So they reset everyones fractal levels for a leaderboard they haven’t even started coding yet?

Posted by: mage.3570

mage.3570

So they reset everyones fractal levels for a leaderboard they haven’t even started coding yet?

I was pretty mad when they rolled back the fractal levels. Like some people, I had multiple characters at level 50 before. Now, I don’t even play fractals. Guess ANET got what they wanted. I have moved on, and messing with the TP which is more fun and yields better rewards IMO.

Been there, done that. What’s next?

Posted by: Bagel.4598

Bagel.4598

Nothing more satisfying than having done 20+ level 49 fractals now and only being “rewarded” with 1 fractal skin and a handful of non-infused rings, thanks anet for the “update”.
In your next proposals, please just propose you undo the fractal patch. What a disgrace.

Gnat.9405

I do about 0 PvP, but I frequent their forums to get an idea of where the balance is headed. There are a lot of threads about compensation for rank lost (or something of the sort, with this new addition of gold – like I said I’m not too keen on what’s going on over there) and it sounds a lot like what happened to us that were over 30.

Only thing is, I would bet that they are going to receive the compensation they are asking for, because you know, PvP and all. Can’t wait for the kittenstorm.

Posted by: Romo.3709

Romo.3709

I do about 0 PvP, but I frequent their forums to get an idea of where the balance is headed. There are a lot of threads about compensation for rank lost (or something of the sort, with this new addition of gold – like I said I’m not too keen on what’s going on over there) and it sounds a lot like what happened to us that were over 30.

Only thing is, I would bet that they are going to receive the compensation they are asking for, because you know, PvP and all. Can’t wait for the kittenstorm.

With the placement of wintersday merchant with gift boxes in PvP, many hardcore PvPers got practically rich overnight. And I’m talking hundreds to thousands of golds from all that glory they had.
I wonder what can we use our relics for… Yeah… I’ve got nothing in mind that I can possibly still need…

Gnat.9405

Thanks for the summary Romo. And yes, with the ability to convert Pristine Relics into regular relics, I would guess we aren’t getting any useful way to spend those any time soon