What if we 'get rid' of classes all together?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

Just wondering what everyone thinks of this.

What if the game worked like the following:

You pick a class, and your weapon skills, class mechanic and armor depend on that choice (so that light armor doesn’t become useless), but you can change your class on the go at any time.

You have access to every trait line of all existing classes, as well as every utility, healing, and elite skills of every class. However, you have to choose between certain trait lines, e.g. you cant stack 2 power trait lines together.

Would that make the game more interesting?

Posted by: a t s e.9614

a t s e.9614

I like the idea . I would create a killing machine Thief\Warrior perm-stealth
Shadowstep to your foe and hundred blades to death .

Posted by: LumAnth.5124

LumAnth.5124

or you could play The Secret World if you’re into clasless games. I play it every now and then but GW2 is my home now

they filter out Class from “Clas less”

Sorry for the typos….
I’m usually typing on my phone

a t s e.9614

Gw1 had.the best class system EVER . The coolest thing was an assassin\warrior. Nothing looks more boss than an assassin
With a shield and a sword . I miss it so much

Posted by: Kaiyanwan.8521

Kaiyanwan.8521

Sounds like an elder scrolls game. If they only ever made a MMO…

Xae Isareth.1364

Gw1 had.the best class system EVER . The coolest thing was an assassin\warrior. Nothing looks more boss than an assassin
With a shield and a sword . I miss it so much

Anet’s idea was to add more skills to the game regularly from now on (although I havn;t seen that materialize yet) and eventually give every class access to every weapon.

So I guess you will get your Thief with a sword and shield eventually

^ There’s ESO coming out (although that’s arguably a bit of a step backwards from a TES game).

(edited by Xae Isareth.1364)

Posted by: Draehl.2681

Draehl.2681

Some sort of tanky Necro/Guardian spirit magic build would be pretty kitten.

Posted by: Tsume.4762

Tsume.4762

I like the idea of more variety in character creation/builds, but at the same time it sounds like it could be really confusing. Some traits and skills don’t make much sense outside the class they are created for so making them available for all classes seems somewhat useless.

I like the variety and think making more things available for more classes would be great, just not all traits/elite skills.

they are: the elder scrolls online

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

I lol’d

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

Xae Isareth.1364

I lol’d

Dang, stupid me. I see what you did there.

I wish they made a sequel to the Matrix as well. Such a nice film.

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

If there where no classes at first you will see a high mix of chose but over time that mix will fall off into specialization and in time you will find every one playing about the same thing.
In a game like ESO your going to see one class / races / guild chose over all others in time. In a way you cant play the game the way you want to because a lot of your ability are going to be tied to your races and guild. Mind you there are still classes in that game but there is a great deal more openness for your ability chose.
In a game like GW2 you need some type of class to keep a stander to but in a game like GW2 you can see something more on the lines of sub classes. The thing is in having ability tied to classes you can still look the way you want to and be the race you want to etc…
So in a way its makes your “Hero” that you play more able to chose if you have a class system with out means of making say only such race can be such class.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Posted by: KeyLimPi.9031

KeyLimPi.9031

Honestly Silkroad online had a system like this and it works out beautifully. You had 2 stats to invest in STR/INT. You had 3 weapon choices: Blade/Sword, Glaive/Spear, Bow. And you had 4 elements: Healing, Fire, Ice, Lightning. You could weapon swap on the fly and pick whatever armor set you wanted.

I’m not saying the grind wasn’t a pain in the kitten but with that system I felt so much freer than I ever have in character creation. Honestly, my favorite PVP game ever released…. 70cap and before. Screw euro cap

Posted by: EverythingEnds.4261

EverythingEnds.4261

Im gonna play spirit-mesmer! :O

3 Illusions + 3 Spirits!!!!
Or minion Mesmer.

Oh wait, even better!
Clone/shatter-thief!

And if I want to play bunker, I play water-atunement-warrior. Warrior hasnt enough regen, yet!

(edited by EverythingEnds.4261)

a t s e.9614

That’s how amazing gw1 was . You could be a warrior who throws fireballs .

Posted by: Akari Storm.6809

Akari Storm.6809

Yeah, I think gw1 had the right idea with their dual class system. I think I like the skills there more than here also as far as what can be done. Ofc the animations are tons better here.

Shadow stepping eles and monks. Necrotic warriors. Conditions made sense there. E-denial, enchantments…boons, everything just made more sense there and seemed very tactical.

I guess the game I really want to play is GW1 with GW2 mobile combat and persistent world complete with energy and healers. Even the dungeons/missions told a better story there. One day someone will make that game.

a t s e.9614

Dual class system would remove all the complaints about some thing being OP . If you think warr is OP and you’re a thief then just switch your second proffession to warrior . That’s how arenanet could balance the game . If they see too many necro\warrior ele\warrior ranger\warrior that means the class is OP and it need a nerf . Now even if something is OP people wont reroll because its a waste of time .

Posted by: eisberg.2379

eisberg.2379

From my understanding ESO is not clkitten at all, you still pick your class at the beginning and level up your class.

Xae Isareth.1364

If there where no classes at first you will see a high mix of chose but over time that mix will fall off into specialization and in time you will find every one playing about the same thing.
In a game like ESO your going to see one class / races / guild chose over all others in time. In a way you cant play the game the way you want to because a lot of your ability are going to be tied to your races and guild. Mind you there are still classes in that game but there is a great deal more openness for your ability chose.
In a game like GW2 you need some type of class to keep a stander to but in a game like GW2 you can see something more on the lines of sub classes. The thing is in having ability tied to classes you can still look the way you want to and be the race you want to etc…
So in a way its makes your “Hero” that you play more able to chose if you have a class system with out means of making say only such race can be such class.

That’s where balance patches come in.

Posted by: Astewart.8415

Astewart.8415

You pick a class, and your weapon skills, class mechanic and armor depend on that choice (so that light armor doesn’t become useless), but you can change your class on the go at any time.

I think Rift, Secret World and Final Fantasy latest MMO has that system. That said I wouldn’t mind some way of levelling ALTs more quickly, though. When you are itching to get to end game, or WvW, or dungeons….the time it takes through what might be the same content can be tough and very difficult depending on the class. We know some of them only get useful at certain points in the levelling curve (which is a problem in my view).

Posted by: SpellOfIniquity.1780

SpellOfIniquity.1780

As someone who is a big fan of customization I like this idea but at the same time I don’t. I feel it would spawn a whole new era of troll builds that would make the game a lot less enjoyable for those of us who like to PvP. However, something I think they SHOULD look in to relating to this freedom of choice subject is allowing all classes to wear all types of armor. I get that some classes are light, medium or heavy and why, but what if we want to make a tanky caster or a nimble warrior? Although I’m sure the latter would be a lot less common I’d bet it’d still be done from time to time. Or, if that idea isn’t viable… At least let all classes able to transmute their gears appearance regardless of their vocation. eg. If I were a Guardian and wanted the light class style of the Twilight Arbor, I wouldn’t be able to WEAR that gear, but I would be able to transmute my current gear with it’s appearance.

Necromancer, Ranger, Warrior, Engineer
Champion: Phantom, Hunter, Legionnaire, Genius
WvW rank: Diamond Colonel | Maguuma

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

The game would end up with completely unplayable PvP based on crack builds and subject to constant sweeping balance changes on part of the developers, regularly nullfying entire skillsets and classes.

Or in short, it’d become GW1.

(edited by Conncept.7638)

Posted by: Iris.5918

Iris.5918

I guess the game I really want to play is GW1 with GW2 mobile combat and persistent world complete with energy and healers. Even the dungeons/missions told a better story there. One day someone will make that game.

I hope so

Posted by: An Oak Knob.1275

An Oak Knob.1275

Elder scrolls online will make it able for you to wear any armor you want and any weapons you want, however the class you choose will favour some armor type or some weapon type. Such as nightblade (thief/rogue) which will favour daggers and leather/medium armor above heavier armor or weapons.
I think this is what people want, that or new better skins for medium and light armor – and medium is really S hhhhhhhhhhhhh it.

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

You have access to every trait line of all existing classes, as well as every utility, healing, and elite skills of every class. However, you have to choose between certain trait lines, e.g. you cant stack 2 power trait lines together.

Would that make the game more interesting?

I don’t personally think much would change, we’d have the same game we have now, everyone basically the same all going DPS, the only thing different really now is some classes wear weaker gears than others..

Most traits are the same, skills..the same..weapons vary but all effectively do the same.. stats wise they mostly go zerker etc, because other versions aren’t optimal..

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Sure a game could be designed like that. To do that with GW2 would require redoing all the traits. Not every profession has the same stat combinations for their trait lines. For example thief has precision+critical damage but on a warrior critical damage is paired with burst recharge so the “However, you have to choose between certain trait lines, e.g. you cant stack 2 power trait lines together.” restriction isn’t going to hold too well.

There is probably some combination of trait out there that works out ridiculously well even though the individual traits are not that great or even underpowered as is. They had enough troubles balancing with two classes per character. Eight is pretty much hopeless.

Posted by: Nightarch.2943

Nightarch.2943

Better yet… Classes are extraordinary and they are not the issue…. Tell me if I’m wrong here.. I believe item stats are the primary issue here and everywhere else. I have a desire for fun and crunching numbers and staring at an interface isn’t one of them.

I’m not a avid advocate of steam rolling content, I would like to go anywhere I desire that provides equal opportunities that are challenging in their own aspect. I would like to be-able to go into a specialization without completely recustomizing my character to fit that playstyle. Item stats are a crutch for the sheep that desire the carrot. Nothing more. The only things that should matter is your look and your skill.

Guild Wars 2 is not a sequel to the original Guild Wars but merely an alternative story setting.

Posted by: Ellisande.5218

Ellisande.5218

We already have gotten rid of classes. At this point all the classes sort of feel the same with the only significant difference being the animations. But that’s how every game is.

Xae Isareth.1364

Elder scrolls online will make it able for you to wear any armor you want and any weapons you want, however the class you choose will favour some armor type or some weapon type. Such as nightblade (thief/rogue) which will favour daggers and leather/medium armor above heavier armor or weapons.
I think this is what people want, that or new better skins for medium and light armor – and medium is really S hhhhhhhhhhhhh it.

That’s pretty much the same thing as having class armour restrictions. If leather is better on a thief than light or heavy, why would anyone use the latter two?

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

Make a Guardian/Necro/Ranger/Ele support healer build.

We would finally have Trinity back!!!

Kaiyanwan.8521

That’s pretty much the same thing as having class armour restrictions. If leather is better on a thief than light or heavy, why would anyone use the latter two?

I dunno. Just think outside the box. People got way too streamlined in things like RPG nowadays.
Imagine to create a character the way you want. There will be trait-offs, but a fireball wielding knight with heavy armor sounds cool sort of.

Xae Isareth.1364

I dunno. Just think outside the box. People got way too streamlined in things like RPG nowadays.
Imagine to create a character the way you want. There will be trait-offs, but a fireball wielding knight with heavy armor sounds cool sort of.

It would be cool, but it would also be a rubbish build.

Kaiyanwan.8521

How would you know?

Knighthonor.4061

Warrior Great Sword AoE attacks, with the Number 5 and Number 4 removed.
Replaced by Necro Weapon Skills. Also with Necro heals
and Guardian’s spirit weapon utilities. Also Ele’s minion elites I guess but Death themed…

Xae Isareth.1364

How would you know?

Because taken in the context of this quote chain, if a class is designed to favour an armour type, then it would be better to use that armour type by design.

What I got out of ESO’s dev talks was that yes, you can be a magical knight or a heavy theif, and it would be fun; but magic would be still be best used by an actual mage so in a perfect min-maxing party, you won’t see magic warriors.

(edited by Xae Isareth.1364)

Knighthonor.4061

Druid would be

Ranger Long Bow/ Short bow skills, but with also a new Staff weapon, that combo of Ele Water and Ranger summons and Guardian heals. Also Guardian’s elite heal skill, and Guardian’s AoE heal skill. Ele lighting range weapon skills and Water healing.
Ele’s 4 element mechanics, but animal themed. With Norn Racial like transformations, but made into kits like Engineer kits work.

Kaiyanwan.8521

Because taken in the context of this quote chain, if a class is designed to favour an armour type, then it would be better to use that armour type by design.

It might be not the best build for a single target DD, but depending on the combination you choose, you could be an unstoppable AoE tank, gaining tons of xp while killing hordes of mobs simultaniously.

The box, think outside of it.

Xae Isareth.1364

It might be not the best build for a single target DD, but depending on the combination you choose, you could be an unstoppable AoE tank, gaining tons of xp while killing hordes of mobs simultaniously.

The box, think outside of it.

It was quite a specific ESO-related comment. I was commenting on how their design philosophy was actually quite restrictive.

Kaiyanwan.8521

The information on ESO is very limited.
The idea of a class free RPG is a working concept, and it can be incredibly fun. And a nightmare to balance.

Xae Isareth.1364

The information on ESO is very limited.
The idea of a class free RPG is a working concept, and it can be incredibly fun. And a nightmare to balance.

There’s a really old and niche game called Mabinogi. If you can look past it’s rather silly art style, ut has probably the best ‘clkitten’ combat system I’ve ever seen, and it’s very very well balanced.

At least when I played it years and years ago.

Posted by: locoman.1974

locoman.1974

This thread reminds me of this comic:

http://www.awkwardzombie.com/index.php?comic=012113

Basically a no classes system is what The Secret World attemped to do with some success, the way it works is that you pick two weapons which define your “class” (though you can equip other weapons at any time). Every time you “level”, you get skill points, much like in GW2, and you use them to buy weapon skills. Each weapon has a DPS tree, and another one that depends on the weapon (swords have tanking skills, for example, and shotguns have healing ones and so on), you can pick where to purchase skills from with the only limit that you must buy the previous skills as well (to get sword tanking skill 4, for example, you’d have to buy 1, 2 and 3). The role your character does depends on which weapons and which skills (7 active and 7 passive) it has equipped. It works nicely, of course there are “classes” (specially at end game you see asking for a blade/chaos tank for one dungeon, or a hammer tank for another one, for example), but since there’s no limit to how many skill points you can get, eventually you can just be a skill/weapons swap from becoming a different one.

It’s a pile of Elonian protection magic, mixed with a little monk training,
wrapped up in some crazy ritualist hoo-ha from Cantha.
A real grab bag of ‘you can’t hurt me. They’re called Guardians.

(edited by locoman.1974)

Posted by: Supreme.7352

Supreme.7352

WvW and PvP would be ruined.

It’s one of those things that are nice in theory, but if you have PvP the game becomes a nightmare to balance.

Go look/play Champions Online. Before Archetypes were made there was only Freeform, where you could do literally anything you wanted.

So of course PvP was just maximum glitch-abusing DPS builds for years.