What is Endgame to you guys?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: ChoChoBo.6503

ChoChoBo.6503

Just curious, what everyone here thinks endgame content entails.

For me, it’s playable content that, when you finished, makes you feel like you’ve really accomplished something. For example, earning the Tequatl and Evolved Jungle Wurm titles when they first came out or getting my Mini Clockheart.

I loved questing/farming Arah for all my tokens for a full set of Arah armor before the PvP-reward tracks cheapened dungeon armor, then again the stacking/speed meta was already doing that, so I can’t really say it was all the PvP-reward track.

I love epic quests that when you completed, you get something that you can show off. Something that other players could respect or admire.

Too much of GW2 is rng or too easy to get. Legendaries are rng or gold base, it doesn’t really show others how amazing you are, except that you have a lot of gold or a lot of free time. Fractal weapons are all rng, I farmed L50 fractals every day for nearly a year and only got 1 skin. Dungeon armors used to be the thing, like a full set of Arah, CoE or even HotW was epic, but alas the speed-meta and especially the PvP-reward track made dungeon armors cheap.

Is there anything in this game that I could do and show off? Is my view of endgame in a MMO not right?

I’m really curious to know what you guys think endgame is.

These days, I avoid PvE and stick strictly to PvP and WvW.

EDIT: I’m seeing a lot of posts, which is always nice, for me EndGame starts when the personal story ends, does it not?

(edited by ChoChoBo.6503)

Posted by: Julie Yann.5379

Julie Yann.5379

TP flipping, got it I my head that I want to have 100k gold.

Be careful what you wish for, Anet might just give it to you “HoT”
“…let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we shall die;.”

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

MMOs focus on whatever their featured end-game is. In most cases, it’s raiding. That’s where they hide the biggest challenges and the best, shiniest gear. Those games often have little else, and if you’re more of a loner, then that endgame (which is only done by 2-10% of the population anyway) gets ignored.

A good MMO will at least give you more to do with your time: minigames, treasure hunts, solo/small team challenges, different races and classes to level, maybe even interesting crafting (which almost never happens). But in the end, an MMO is there as a huge time sink.

GW2 isn’t much different, except for the lack of large group content, and not so much on the minigame front.

Right now, a lot of the busywork has been shifted to Ascended crafting, lucking out on Legendary creation (which will soon change with HoT), achievement farming, and revisiting Living Story season 2.

So, yeah, it doesn’t sound like much. :\

It does feel like you might be confounding “endgame,” “challenge,” and “unique rewards.” It’s not a bad thing, really. GW2 could use some content that feels more challenging, and also some rewards that feel special.

You’ve done a lot, and you might be feeling burnout. Might be time to ease up, check in once in a while (daily login rewards, etc), and otherwise explore a new game or two in the meantime. Or commit to preparing for HoT in some fashion by finishing some world exploration on your alts or some other long term goal.

Whichever you choose, good luck.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Teoman.3016

Teoman.3016

If you want something to show off to people, the only thing to get right now imo would be full radiant/hellfire armor because you’ll need a crap ton of achievement points.

Posted by: ChoChoBo.6503

ChoChoBo.6503

If you want something to show off to people, the only thing to get right now imo would be full radiant/hellfire armor because you’ll need a crap ton of achievement points.

full set of hellfire already… AP isn’t really a bragging right anymore so I don’t put it on at all, I do have 6k permanent AP that I’m proud of and wish I could show off.

(edited by ChoChoBo.6503)

Posted by: Conski Deshan.2057

Conski Deshan.2057

For me it’s content that when completed makes you feel like you’ve advanced that you’re moving up in the world or progressing. Like there was 50000 people ahead of you, but now that you’re capable of completing x there’s only 25000 ahead of you and so on,
Usually that entails ever increasing difficulty so that it’s a constant uphill battle (which is far more fun to the usual semiafk watching a movie at the same time play that makes up the majority of MMO play.).

It also provides rewards that allow you to stand out over people who farm or convert gold but may not be objectively good at the game where otherwise they might beat you due to sheer amounts of gold.

[RoF] and [BL] guild leader
11x level 80’s 80+ Titles 2600+ skins , still a long way to go.

Posted by: RabidCoqui.1983

RabidCoqui.1983

full set of hellfire already… AP isn’t really a bragging right anymore so I don’t put it on at all, I do have 6k permanent AP that I’m proud of and wish I could show off.

Agree that AP isn’t too much to brag about, but I was under the impression no one has full hellfire set yet. I thought it took at least 30K AP to get full set and highest seems to be only 28K so far.

If looking for something that will impress… that will depend on the players you’re trying to impress. Personally, I’ve never seen any gear in any MMO that would cause me to be impressed by another player.

As far as endgame, there really is none in GW2… or alternatively, everything is endgame in GW2. With the exception of spvp, nothing requires skill, and is accessible to practically everyone by design. There is hope that pve may get some “challenging” content in HoT, but we’ll just have to wait and see.

Posted by: Blood Mist Mirage.5610

Blood Mist Mirage.5610

To me, endgame is going to each map saying, “LF a girlfriend, message me with details+hobbies!”. Best. Endgame. Ever.

Only nerds read this.

Posted by: Prototypemind.4026

Prototypemind.4026

Not really much end game in GW2 besides the glamor of your outfit. Silver Wastes is just to farm mats, Dry Top for a few trinkets or if you’re overly bored. The expansion is very much needed to give level 80 players more to do.

Posted by: Pockets.3201

Pockets.3201

Endgame is when I turn the game off.

Posted by: CodeHavoc.7926

CodeHavoc.7926

•Raids
•New story instances
•New Gear
•New race/Class
•New Dungeons
•Hard/ Extra Hard difficulty to existing content
•Raids
•New Pvp game modes/ maps

Sadly I only think 3 of these points will be added.

Necro Jesus is a thing apparently
The Zerker Bunker meta is the biggest bug in the game

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

endgame is the end of the game, if an MMO is done right that will never be reached.

Posted by: ITheNormalPerson.9275

ITheNormalPerson.9275

for me, it’s collecting. I love collecting stuff. And tbh, the only problem I have with collecting stuff in gw2 is that a lot of junk is unnattainable now, and a lot of it is simply buy it off the tp or buy it off the gemstore.

A good example of collecting to me would be the daedric artifacts from skyrim. each has a unique flavor quest to it and such that makes it enjoyable and not repetitive to collect. I would rather have that than “do silverwastes for a few hours” “buy item off TP”

Druid main, 80 on all, Legendary ranked, Eternal and all that jazz (I go by Feyris in game)

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

Getting my characters to 80, getting them all in the appearances that I want them in with at least Elite gear, then doing whatever until the end of time. Probably work toward all the achievements.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

Alts have always been ‘endgame’ for me. That’s why I feel new content should be distributed across all levels, from lowest to highest, not just tacked on at the ‘end’ for those with characters at the level cap.

The table is a fable.

Posted by: ThyShadowPaladin.9521

ThyShadowPaladin.9521

Endgame.. would be to finish my current GW2 Goals: 20m karma, 100k Fractal relics. Then after that, 50k of each dungeon token. For now, I just AFK in lions arch, the true endgame.

Posted by: Tommyknocker.6089

Tommyknocker.6089

Currently my end game is doing my daily then logging out.

Posted by: Nidome.1365

Nidome.1365

Endgame is exactly what it says and therefore is when the game ends.
With regards to GW2 the game ends when one of these occurs:
1) The servers are permanently switched off.
2) You have done everything possible in the game and there are never going to be any more updates or expansions produced.
3) They introduce victory conditions and someone “wins”

Anything else isn’t actually “endgame” even if you call it by that title.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

The concept of end game still seems weird to me because I think the game doesn’t end until you’ve done everything in it, so end game content is an oxymoron.

But given that most people say it’s anything you do after getting to the maximum level I suppose most of the game is end-game.

When I got to 80 on my first character I only had about 50% of the map completed, hadn’t finished my personal story, had never done WvW or PvP, hadn’t maxed any of the crafting professions, the living story was just getting going….I feel like getting to the maximum level in this game is more like finishing an extended tutorial, it’s not like the game ends and you start doing something else, more like you carry on as before but with much more freedom to do things in whatever order you want.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Tongku.5326

Tongku.5326

Just curious, what everyone here thinks endgame content entails.

For me, it’s playable content that, when you finished, makes you feel like you’ve really accomplished something. For example, earning the Tequatl and Evolved Jungle Wurm titles when they first came out or getting my Mini Clockheart.

I loved questing/farming Arah for all my tokens for a full set of Arah armor before the PvP-reward tracks cheapened dungeon armor, then again the stacking/speed meta was already doing that, so I can’t really say it was all the PvP-reward track.

I love epic quests that when you completed, you get something that you can show off. Something that other players could respect or admire.

Too much of GW2 is rng or too easy to get. Legendaries are rng or gold base, it doesn’t really show others how amazing you are, except that you have a lot of gold or a lot of free time. Fractal weapons are all rng, I farmed L50 fractals every day for nearly a year and only got 1 skin. Dungeon armors used to be the thing, like a full set of Arah, CoE or even HotW was epic, but alas the speed-meta and especially the PvP-reward track made dungeon armors cheap.

Is there anything in this game that I could do and show off? Is my view of endgame in a MMO not right?

I’m really curious to know what you guys think endgame is.

These days, I avoid PvE and stick strictly to PvP and WvW.

It is unfortunate, but to me, engame is made out of the things, practices, concepts implimentations, which many other MMOs have but GW2 lacks, as well as the ones which A-Net completely blew.

Seriously, just look at the combat system in this game and WvWvW, and think of the potential and how much they have hurt themselves since game launch on that front alone due to a wide plethora of reasons, but mostly due to their own ignorance and lack of longterm business vision.

Then also raids, skill based instead of RNG based PvE content, etc.

Heavy Deedz – COSA – SF

Posted by: TheBlackLeech.9360

TheBlackLeech.9360

End game to me is…

Challenging and repeatable content that rewards players non-rng-based loot according to how well they performed.

(Something Guild Wars 2 has none of.)

(edited by TheBlackLeech.9360)

Posted by: kash.9213

kash.9213

End game to me is…

Challenging and repeatable content that rewards players non-rng-based loot according to how well they performed.

Like badges of honor for World vs World, that’s a pretty straight forward system you’re describing.

Kash
NSP

Posted by: Shivan.9438

Shivan.9438

If end game is defined as having the best gear, weapons, seen everything, completed all of the content, then not many people have reached end game, simply because the highest level fractals aren’t completed by the majority of the player base. However if you define end game as the majority of the player base has the game on farm, then GW2 has been at end game status for a long time. Without high level fractals where you need the ascended gear and weapons, you can simply complete everything in exotics, which are at the TP.

Log in, play to 80, save your gold and karma, get temple and exotic gear, rune/sigil it up farm Orr and SW and you’ve hit end game.

Posted by: TheBlackLeech.9360

TheBlackLeech.9360

End game to me is…

Like badges of honor for World vs World, that’s a pretty straight forward system you’re describing.

no. It really isn’t.

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

“Endgame” usually refers to content, for players that reach maximum level.

These are usually dungeons, raids, or pvp, where gear acquisition is the primary motivation to do them.

Anything that requires level 80 in GW2, could be considered “endgame”.

Posted by: Davey.7029

Davey.7029

Anything that is exciting and has a meaning besides “let’s kill more bad guys to get more gold”.

A progression system that actually makes you feel proud for defeating a certain boss or finishing a certain event, but doesn’t end there, opening more doors for more challenging content.

We need more boss encounters that besides looking epic, should feel epic. I would like to see more stuff similar to Aetherpath or the last boss of Season 2 LS. More interesting boss encounters that aren’t just “stack and press 1” like the Molten Boss Fractal and Thaumanova Anomaly.

Can anyone honestly say they feel proud for defeating Vinewrath?

(edited by Davey.7029)

Posted by: yakuza snowdragon.4639

yakuza snowdragon.4639

long spaces of boring repetitive content. that’s not even being mean that’s just what it is, I have 7 level 80’s and fractels and dailys with the odd auto attack world event is all it has to offer right now.

Posted by: Testudo.4620

Testudo.4620

replaying every aspect of the game thousands of times and then redownloading skyrim

Zhaife
Graduated top of class esports academy
#1 on fractal leaderboards

Posted by: serenke.4806

serenke.4806

I have no endgame goals. My end game is to log in, do a fractals 50 every day (sometimes another, lower level too if need be), a couple of dungeons, and some pvp matches.

Posted by: Chris McSwag.4683

Chris McSwag.4683

My daily goal is to become better at the classes i play in wvw – thief + mesmer, and that is really the “endgame” for me at the moment – and what i find most fun.

Naked world boss runs are fun too, as it brings back the chaos and challenge that was fun with e.g. teq & tt wurm before they were more or less faceroll.

[eS] Ethereal Synergy
DPS Benchmarks, Raids, Low-mans etc.

Posted by: tramwajarz.2369

tramwajarz.2369

My endgame is waiting for content. My whole guild stopped playing in last 2 months. This is depressing.

Posted by: mercury ranique.2170

mercury ranique.2170

Endgame is a term used for many wrong things. To understand the meaning of the term you have to look at the reason why it exist. As I never played WoW seriously (although I understand it is simular there) I’ll use lord of the rings online as an example.

In that game, you got a levelling game. That is the content you play when you are trying to get max level. This is different content then the content you play when you reached the levelcap. The reason is that when you you level, you outgrow maps and tasks. They are still there, but you one-shot everything. it gives no xp, progress or loot.

Cause it happened that the game at max level was very different then the game while levelling, it became an important question for buyers: “how is the endgame”.
This means they ask how is the content you play at max level.

Why this introduction. The first is cause GW2 is different. There is no content vanishing for you when you level up. You only unlock more things to do, but besides the tutorial-instance, there is no content that get’s locked for you when you progress. This means that the answer to the question bout the content you play at max level is that it is the enitre game that is playable at max level.

Now there are two issues here. The first is that people have wrong idea’s bout endgame and start claiming that GW2 has no endgame. That is simply not true if you follow the correct meaning of the word.

The second issue is that players of those old type of MMO’s are so used to outgrowing area’s they rush to max level, look at the content for max level, and decide that there isn’t anything. They do however forget to look back at all the stuff they skipped.

So the true question is..What do you do to have fun at max level.
The answer is that a lot of people are bored. The game didn’t had any refreshing content in months and we are really waiting for the expansion so have new things to do.

On top of that, some people find the game not challenging enough. For me it is just fine and I like the approach of Arenanet that all content should be doable for all players. I think there are plenty of games around that are more challenging and I wish there where more like GW2

So please use the correct terms. But to answer the question.
I’m currently doing my daily. then I log off and into another game (ESO) and have fun there. When the expansion pack hits I’ll likely be playing more GW2 again. The game is clearly on a break when it comes to content, so I am too.

Arise, ye farmers of all nations
Arise, opressed of Tyria!

Posted by: Sarie.1630

Sarie.1630

Are you saying that you actually have a full set of Hellfire?

You need 30,000AP for that I believe.

Top player has just nudged over 28,000AP.

As for showing off AP, isn’t that what the titles every 5,000AP are for? Or the specific titles for, say, completing the meta achievement under certain categories.

Notwithstanding the comments above, because MMOs tend to become larger and larger I’ve treated the endgame as myself getting ready for the next installment.

no. It really isn’t.

It kinda is.

How does a developer keep you playing? One of the cheapest ways would be to keep you striving for something, such as a specific skin or gear tier. If you got “non-rng based loot”, as you seem to want, you would no doubt run the content a few times, claim you have everything, and that there is no longer any endgame content. I’m going to be controversial here and suggest that RNG isn’t always the demon people make it out to be. Yes, it’s very easy for developers to abuse, and the chances of an item dropping could seem too low for the input they require (cough Black Lion Tickets), which by the way, is partially subjective anyway. In terms of challenging content, however, would you really continue to run it even though you’d “got your loot already”? I’m sure that a lot of players would not.

(edited by Sarie.1630)

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

I like this game but the non existent endgame in this game is what bothers me the most. I like to have a raid or hard instance with unique drops to make the ultimate gear (in the GW2-context skin-wise). We don’t have this in this game. Of course the scavenger hunt for the luminescence armor was fun and motivated me, but that’s just not it.

Even GW1 had hard mode and hard instanced group content for up to 12 people (FoW, UW, DoA, Urgoz, Deep…).

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

Replayable engaging content with good rewards.

So fractals with fixed rewards. And better dungeon and raids. :P

Posted by: Sarie.1630

Sarie.1630

I like this game but the non existent endgame in this game is what bothers me the most. I like to have a raid or hard instance with unique drops to make the ultimate gear (in the GW2-context skin-wise).

Thing is, skins are very subjective. What is one person’s absolute favourite over-the-top bells-and-whistles completely oversized pauldrons is another person’s worst nightmare.

If I, for example, didn’t like the skins that the “raid or hard instance” had as a reward, would I be justified in claiming that there was in fact “no endgame” as there was nothing of interest to me?

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

To me end-game is doing difficult content ( whether it be solo, small or large group) content in order to obtain unique and exclusive skins and cosmetic upgrades.

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

I like this game but the non existent endgame in this game is what bothers me the most. I like to have a raid or hard instance with unique drops to make the ultimate gear (in the GW2-context skin-wise).

Thing is, skins are very subjective. What is one person’s absolute favourite over-the-top bells-and-whistles completely oversized pauldrons is another person’s worst nightmare.

If I, for example, didn’t like the skins that the “raid or hard instance” had as a reward, would I be justified in claiming that there was in fact “no endgame” as there was nothing of interest to me?

I second your thoughts. My point was not the rewards thoug, this may something that can be individual, maybe certain tokens to buy items from a pool of gear/skins. My point was rather what end game means to me.

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

I think you’re thinking of the 3 standard pieces as the full set. You actually start to unlock the rest of the pieces when you get around 24k AP or something, which I don’t think anyone has actually hit. Unless you are saying you are #1 on the AP charts.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

Things you do at max level once leveling is no longer the main progression.

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

endgame is the end of the game, if an MMO is done right that will never be reached.

That has never been what endgame meant. What mmo game has ever said that is whats endgame?

Posted by: kurfu.5623

kurfu.5623

If you’re playing any game with the expectation that the other players will be your fan-club, then you really need to rethink your priorities.

Here’s a hint – no one cares about your stuff.

Play the game to have fun. When it’s no longer fun, play something else.

Posted by: Zephyra.4709

Zephyra.4709

End-game:

Thief no UI first person mode vs someone. Let’s do it.

Jokes aside lately I’ve just been theorycrafting my own builds and testing them out in eotm/wvw. I play PvP when I feel like it.. other than that… not much else. Heh.

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

Endgame as a concept to me is a separate style of gameplay in a RPG-influenced game which is intended to be used at max-level only, frequently replacing the previous gameplay.

As in: WoW has very distinct endgame.
As in: GW2 has basically no endgame.

Mind you, it’s a downside to have an endgame, though often a necessary one. In theory your game should not be dependent on the player’s level and hence not fall apart once max level is reached.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

Posted by: L Step.8659

L Step.8659

PvP/WvW would be endgame for me.

PvE is kind of hard to be endgame content imo because it’s all scripted AI. Yeah you can make it challenging but it’s always predictable and eventually will get boring/mundane for me.

ReRolled [Re] GvG Hero/Wannabe

Best NA rallybot on EU

Posted by: SirDrygan.1823

SirDrygan.1823

One word : Grind

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

Doing whatever you want in the game with no pressure to level to 80.

Posted by: Drow.2081

Drow.2081

My own castle.

~~~~~

I also post on guildwars2guru.

Posted by: Wolfmother.4098

Wolfmother.4098

I took a break for 2 years. Some of that time was on purpose ( got away from gaming altogether) to not having a pc that could run games that I wanted to play when I started to get that itch.
I have 5 80’s but really haven’t seen “end game” yet. I’m having fun doing events and leveling alts as well as map completion.
I really love the atmosphere of the game. I don’t mind visiting places, farming mats etc. It’s fresh all over again.

We can make ourselves miserable, or we can make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.

Posted by: MrWubzy.3587

MrWubzy.3587

To me endgame is what I currently feel like doing when I log in on a max level/skill capped character. Some days I want to work on map completion with my alt 80 ranger, others I’ll want to work on an achievement or title on my guardian, etc. Then there’s the few days that I don’t want to do anything but run around and act goofy in LA or something.

| Biyx [Guardian] ; Aika Vonelli [Ranger] |
| Proud roleplayer! |
| Biyx’s All-For-Nothing Challenge |