What is the point in getting end game gear?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Hunzo.4509

Hunzo.4509

Ok so this is something that I’ve been running through my mind a lot recently, as i’m coming to the end what is see as the game, I’ve got almost all my max gear for PvE and working towards my legendary.

But I’m sat here thinking well what is the point?

Sure it may look cosmetically nice but what is the actual benefit of having the best possible gear which is Ascended Gear at the moment?

Well i struggle to find any, there is no dueling system to fight other players with your PvE gear, once Ascended gear fully comes out (Armor ect) Anet stated that they won’t be bringing out better armor.

So basically you’re going to sit there and do nothing on your character with the armor, you will have presumably completed all the dungeons, got your desired end game weapons and have nothing to do with it. I personally feel this seems like a pitiful reward for working so hard towards getting the PvE gear, and while i don’t appreciate a lot of aspects of WoW it does give players the opportunity to actually put the people with the best PvE gear to good use.

Posted by: SoLeciTO.3490

SoLeciTO.3490

Yup is like i said before . . . is like playing The Sims.

I love most of the things of this game, but now is getting really boring . . . the hippie focus of archiving silly things is making the game really boring this days.

Come on no duel system in a MMO . . . ?

Is like legendary items, they should at least have the stats of an asended item, it is toooo hard to make them just for a skin.

Posted by: Mesket.5728

Mesket.5728

Legendary items should have the Legendary Farmer tittle associated.

Zerk is the average Joe build. Don’t pat yourself in the back too hard.

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Bragging rights and personal goal aka showing off.

The point of the aesthetic grind is for those that don’t want to engage in it can just to opt out and still perform ingame at peak efficiency. If legendaries were superior, then people who didn’t partake in it would suffer a disadvantage. I doubt a wvw player would want to go through all that pve content just for that.

I am glad that Gw2 doesn’t really have too much of this mindless gear treadmill crap.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

Stat treadmills are designed to keep you paying a monthly subscription (“Ah, I finally got my full suit so I am tied with everyone else and can participate at an even level of … what?! A new tier is out now and my gear is already obsolete? Back to farming I guess”.)

Guild Wars does not have a subscription and thus does not need to keep you tethered 24/7. They put in cosmetic items in order to generate something for you to work towards at your leisure.

Server: Devona’s Rest

Posted by: Daecollo.9578

Daecollo.9578

Vertical Progression Vs Horizontal Progression.

If you don’t like it play WoW.

Hero {} Roleplayer {} Friend {} Professional Princess Saver
https://twitter.com/TalathionEQ2

Posted by: aeneq.1760

aeneq.1760

It is kinda weird that no tier of the Legendary associated achievements have a title associated with it…

Posted by: Ghettoblade.7962

Ghettoblade.7962

Its like Mario..you saved the princess,game over..move to another game

Posted by: Makade.8042

Makade.8042

Ok so this is something that I’ve been running through my mind a lot recently, as i’m coming to the end what is see as the game, I’ve got almost all my max gear for PvE and working towards my legendary.

Sure it may look cosmetically nice but what is the actual benefit of having the best possible gear which is Ascended Gear at the moment?

Well i struggle to find any, there is no dueling system to fight other players with your PvE gear, once Ascended gear fully comes out (Armor ect) Anet stated that they won’t be bringing out better armor.

So basically you’re going to sit there and do nothing on your character with the armor, you will have presumably completed all the dungeons, got your desired end game weapons and have nothing to do with it. I personally feel this seems like a pitiful reward for working so hard towards getting the PvE gear, and while i don’t appreciate a lot of aspects of WoW it does give players the opportunity to actually put the people with the best PvE gear to good use.

This post is like saying, “I bought a convertible but I don’t like the fact that the roof goes down.” Don’t you find it a bit odd that you would buy and play a game that BOASTED from the rooftops that it wouldn’t have a gear treadmill, only to act frustrated later on that it doesn’t offer said treadmill? Quit acting like it is some profound epiphany that you’ve discovered you’re bored without a gear grind.

Posted by: colesy.8490

colesy.8490

You get ascended to maximise your stats, and if you want, to do higher level fractals. You get a legendary because you want a cool looking weapon.

If you don’t care about any of those, then yes there is no point in you getting end game gear.

Sanctum of Rall (NA) – [LOD] – PvE/Dungeon Phantasm Mesmer build
Morrï (Mesmer) | Serah Mahariel (Guardian) | Morrï Mahariel (Warrior)
“colesy’s on rampage today. Slaying casuals left, right and centre” – spoj

Posted by: Ision.3207

Ision.3207

I do agree with you that this game could very much use a dueling system. The Arena in the Charr zone seems built to order for this, people can challenge each other inside of that arena, and there and there alone, fight their 1v1s (and perhaps an arena in each starter city as well). This would please the folks that want their duels,while also keeping the dueling out of peoples faces in the open world.

However, when it comes to having ascended gear so we can put it to “good use” – I cannot disagree with you more.

Assuming a close fight where it comes down to the very last few hits, I feel somewhat cheated out of my victory by having some artificial stat advantage over my opponents. It’s one of the reasons I so despise Vertical progression of any type. Because in essence, it does nothing more than overpower highly skilled players, and serves to mask a lack of ability in players of lesser skills.

And even in PvE content, I despise vertical progression as well. Once again, assuming a difficult dungeon is released, and me and my group finally figure it out and beat it; to reward me for beating it by making it easier to beat the next time with higher stat armor is ridiculous. This does nothing more than to steadily trivialize the encounter with each stat-based reward my guild-mates and I gain. Because for players that value skill and competiveness, lessening the challenge is NOT a reward, it’s a punishment. And of course the gear treadmill will also begin to further trivialize the PvE content in every single PvE area of the game, from lower scaled zones, to DEs to whatever.

Colin Johanson to Eurogamer: "Everyone, including casual gamers,
by level 80 should have the best statistical loot in the game.
We want everyone on an equal power base.”

(edited by Ision.3207)

Posted by: Ragnarawk.8697

Ragnarawk.8697

Ascended can make a difference in WvW builds. That’s the real endgame anyways!

Posted by: Poledo.3256

Poledo.3256

Sorry Mario, your Princess is in another castle.

Posted by: Saelune.5316

Saelune.5316

Because people need to pretend GW2 is a grindy game when really people are just too stupid to have fun. My best equipment is some exotic pants, but I still have tons of fun.

ArchonWing.9480

Yea, but if they played Mario, they would complain that once you get a fire flower, you can’t get any stronger.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,

Posted by: Pure Heart.1456

Pure Heart.1456

[snip]

Go and kill people in World vs World! I have spent 1000 hours in PvE, finally got my desired look and gear, and now I am fighting and killing (and getting killed) in WvW. It’s great!

Plus, I am confident that duelling will eventually be added—the upcoming content update seems to be a step in that direction!

Posted by: Redfeather.6401

Redfeather.6401

Where is the horizontal progression in GW2.
I bet is hiding somewhere between gear treadmill and aesthetics farming.
I’m not picking on you Daecollo, I’m picking on the game and just using your post as an opportunity. Is all good.

Posted by: NetherDiver.6079

NetherDiver.6079

Some people feel the need to have the best gear possible, it’s a psychological thing. It also makes content easier to run through, whether it be WvW, higher level fractals, or new dungeons. I had a (slightly) easier time playing Aetherblade Retreat with my ascended Guardian. If you’re asking what the point is in running all of this content that you’ve all ready run, that’s a separate issue.

Posted by: Kurakura.7281

Kurakura.7281

There isn’t really…
The difference between ascended, legendary, and exotic isn’t so huge compared to other MMO’s…. especially korean MMO’s. The difference between common max level items compared to the most rare max level items… could lead to a difference in 100-200%+ difference in character effectiveness. Dragon Nest is notorious for this…. difference between mid teir to max teir is probably a difference in about 600% in character effectiveness. Characters can go from 30k HP with common items, to over 120kHP with top teir items. Damage can go from 2k attack power to over 8-10k.

In GW2 the difference is at most 10-30% in overall effectiveness. The stat difference is only 10% 165%->175% going into ascended. Plus GW2 doesn’t have an enhance system that can break your items trying to make it better.

(edited by Kurakura.7281)

Posted by: Klawlyt.6507

Klawlyt.6507

Like mama used to say, bored people are just too stupid to entertain themselves.

You either enjoy this game, or you don’t. WoW and a hundred other mmo’s use tangible rewards to keep you engaged. Whether you enjoy that or not isn’t their concern, so long as you keep coming back. Some folks genuinely enjoy that style of play, and they have my blessing.

In GW2, you kind of make your own fun. Take WvW for example (which is about 98% of my play time, personally). Pretty much every week’s match is decided by sunday night, if not earlier. So do I stop playing the rest of the week? Nope. You just have to make each session about defending THIS tower. Or taking THAT keep. You just have to take pleasure in the simple act of playing the game, like in FPS’s before they got XP.

Any one match of Unreal Tournament meant absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things. I wasn’t ranking up to unlock a golden flak cannon, or a title, or anything remotely prestigious. I played because playing is FUN. THAT is the part of the manifesto people so often overlook. GW2 is made to be fun. Whether or not is is for you, is up to you. But if it’s not fun for you, it’s not ANet’s fault for not giving you enough carrots. This game was advertised as RELATIVELY carrot free. Hopefully it shall remain as such.

The possibility of physical and mental collapse is now very real.
No sympathy for the Devil, keep that in mind.
Buy the ticket, take the ride.

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

There’s nothing else but wvw. You aim for wvw. Since wvw is a lag mess and not for everyone, there’s tones of people who’ve left the game a month after obtaining full exotics because there’s no real goal and when anet makes us believe ‘the goal’ is to obtaining a legendary weapon by spending 700g on TP you know gw2 has none after reaching lev80 and fully gearing your character.

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

The biggest thing WoW has done to hurt the industry is to convince people that better gear is required for a good RPG. The fact that so many people have bought into that illusion has destroyed the chance of any decent MMO coming out in the future.

I read Lord of the Rings a whole bunch of times. I think each person upgraded once. They still had to save Middle Earth.

When RPGs are about gear instead of story or just getting into your character, they should no longer be called RPGs.

Posted by: Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Personally, I find the point of getting exotic level equipment is to function at nigh highest capacity in the game. From there, you can just do whatever you want to do in the game. There is no limit and no gated activity otherwise.

Personally, I alternate between dungeons, overworld events in Orr, WvW, and sPVP, depending on what I feel like. I’m also raising up multiple characters. On each of them, multiple armor sets with different stat distributions.

I don’t have opinions. I only have facts I can’t adequately prove.

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

I have three characters in exotics and really can’t be bothered to get get ascended anything.
The point of getting exotics in the first place was so that I can match my gear to my build and then forget about gear.

I spend the time actually playing with my characters and getting into them, most of my enjoyment in the game has nothing to do with stats and everything to do with how they look.

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Lisa.6102

Lisa.6102

Sorry Mario, your Princess is in another castle.

Dark Link has her now

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

Is like legendary items, they should at least have the stats of an asended item, it is toooo hard to make them just for a skin.

Legendary weapons will have Ascended stats when Ascended weapons get released. Not to mention you’ll be able to change the stat combinations (Berserker, Knight ect) outside of combat.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Posted by: kokiman.2364

kokiman.2364

Why? I have a legendary and I never farmed or grinded.

The biggest thing WoW has done to hurt the industry is to convince people that better gear is required for a good RPG. The fact that so many people have bought into that illusion has destroyed the chance of any decent MMO coming out in the future.

I read Lord of the Rings a whole bunch of times. I think each person upgraded once. They still had to save Middle Earth.

When RPGs are about gear instead of story or just getting into your character, they should no longer be called RPGs.

Yeah today RPG means rising numbers and people actually seem to need to see a progression. It is a sad state.

GuildWars 2

Currently playing Heart of Thorns.

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

Bragging rights only, but, the gear in GW2 is nothing to brag about in all honesty.

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

Posted by: Hunzo.4509

Hunzo.4509

I find there is to much focus on WvW as the end game which is beyond ridiculous, people get there best gear to go into WvW and do what?

Half of the people including me still to this day don’t really understand what is going on, you more often than not are forced to zerg to do well (Zerg or be zerged world) Which makes your actions feel next to pointless in this zerg as most people will just follow the commander and spam skills.

I simply don’t get it, a game with so much leveling, crafting, item and armor/weapon content and literally no end game content is absurd, i quit 5 months back because there was nothing to do in this game and i have come back to still find that is a lack of proper end game content.

And while i love the biweekly content updates the last few in particular are not really heading in the right direction, it needs to be more permanent content i think personally where you have made real headway with content is by adding more fun and interesting (With worthwhile rewards like skins ect) dungeons as we all now that atm the current meta for class building has a tendency to be DPS focused. And adding arena’s and things for people to battle with there PvE gear, it gives so much more incentive to want to get the best gear.

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

Oh my, you won’t be able to use your ascended gear to kill noobs in whites, the game is doing it wrong. Oh wait.

Posted by: cassius.5809

cassius.5809

Yup. Aesthetics. You can do 99% of the content with gear 30 levels too low. I’ve been running around at level 60 with level 15 gear on without noticing recently.

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

Where is the horizontal progression in GW2.
I bet is hiding somewhere between gear treadmill and aesthetics farming.
I’m not picking on you Daecollo, I’m picking on the game and just using your post as an opportunity. Is all good.

Now this post i agree on, strange horizontal progression in GW2, Guildwars had much more horizontal progression than this does.

Posted by: ASaturnus.4980

ASaturnus.4980

What is the point in getting end game gear? What is the point in doing anything in a virtual world? What is the point in other MMOs to run through raids and dungeons to get items you need to run through other raids and dungeons?
To me an (subjective) improvement in style is much more real and meaningful than an improvement in some arbitrary numbers.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Personally I much prefer this system. I got to level 80, got my exotic temple gear with karma I’d already saved up and then I didn’t have to worry about it any more. I could go and play whatever part of the game I felt like instead of being funnelled into specific areas to grind the next tier so I could be ready to…grind the one after that.

Playing this game is about actually doing the content for me. Rewards I get along the way are either something cool and fun to show off or they’re a tool to make it a bit easier. Not a goal in their own right.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Galtrix.7369

Galtrix.7369

Bleh, this system is terrible in my opinion. You consider yourself a hero right? Yeah, so does everyone else. Well a hero is supposed to start as a peasant or a person of low-rank and then rise to greatness. In other mmos, this partially happens through gaining new gear and becoming more powerful. In other mmos, you are going to keep improving the gear of your character no matter what. Guild Wars 2 lacks this feeling of being heroic and becoming more powerful over a period of time. Heck, I even read a post where they said that you start Guild Wars 2 as a hero and then become nothing and I realized, that’s definitely true. You don’t become more powerful over a period of time in GW2 once you hit 80. I mean, you can tweak your build, but that will only make you slightly better. Once you hit that point, you begin to wonder what the point of even playing was, and what the point of playing further is. Anet’s idea of purely cosmetic armor was nice, but it lacks depth and it doesn’t feel like you’re gaining more power, because you’re not.

In other mmos, the game basically ended when you became as powerful as you could possibly get because of the armor you gained. Imo, GW2 is screwed in this aspect because pretty much everyone has already hit that wall, and there’s nothing left to do but the Living Story.\

TL;DR – There is no point to end-game gear.

[~Galtrix~] [~Level 80 Elementalist~] [~GoM~]

Posted by: Gehenna.3625

Gehenna.3625

Stat treadmills are designed to keep you paying a monthly subscription (“Ah, I finally got my full suit so I am tied with everyone else and can participate at an even level of … what?! A new tier is out now and my gear is already obsolete? Back to farming I guess”.)

Guild Wars does not have a subscription and thus does not need to keep you tethered 24/7. They put in cosmetic items in order to generate something for you to work towards at your leisure.

Incorrect, there are fewer and fewere games with subs and there are f2p games with gear treadmills as well.

GW2 has a gear treadmill but a slower one. Exotic is too easy to get so ascended is artificially slowed down with time gating mostly and legendary swords are a silly grind.

Of course that all sounds ok as that seems to be the end of it….except, they already said they will raise the level cap again. My guess is they won’t automatically make level 80 ascended gear into level 85 or 90 gear (whatever the new cap will be). No, I think you’ll get to collect new gear all over again.

So it’s really just a different and slower way. Could be a good thing, but I wouldn’t say GW2 has no gear treadmill at all.

It’s a game forum. The truth is not to be found here.

TheDaiBish.9735

Guild Wars 2 lacks this feeling of being heroic and becoming more powerful over a period of time.

Go to Orr at level 10, and come back and say that.

You don’t become more powerful over a period of time in GW2 once you hit 80. I mean, you can tweak your build, but that will only make you slightly better. Once you hit that point, you begin to wonder what the point of even playing was, and what the point of playing further is. Anet’s idea of purely cosmetic armor was nice, but it lacks depth and it doesn’t feel like you’re gaining more power, because you’re not.

Wait…you’re shocked that a game that advertised as having no continuous gear treadmill for endgame doesn’t have a continuous gear treadmill at endgame?

Getting higher and higher stats isn’t ‘deep’. It simply makes the numbers that pop up get bigger.

Now, adding things like new skills and such. That adds depth. Why? Because the player has more choices in order to alter and refine their build. Providing these choices are viable, more skills on the same power level as all other skills will add a whole lot more depth than numbers simply getting bigger.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Gehenna.3625

Guild Wars 2 lacks this feeling of being heroic and becoming more powerful over a period of time.

You don’t become more powerful over a period of time in GW2 once you hit 80. I mean, you can tweak your build, but that will only make you slightly better. Once you hit that point, you begin to wonder what the point of even playing was, and what the point of playing further is. Anet’s idea of purely cosmetic armor was nice, but it lacks depth and it doesn’t feel like you’re gaining more power, because you’re not.

Wait…you’re shocked that a game that advertised as having no continuous gear treadmill doesn’t have a continuous gear treadmill?

Getting higher and higher stats isn’t all that ‘deep’ either. It simply makes the numbers that pop up get bigger.

Now, adding things like new skills and such. That adds depth. Why? Because the player has more choices. Providing these choices are viable, more skills on the same power level as all other skills will add a whole lot more depth than numbers simply getting bigger.

It actually does have a gear treadmill but it’s very shallow…..Anet’s good at shallow

TheDaiBish.9735

It actually does have a gear treadmill but it’s very shallow…..Anet’s good at shallow

Rolls eyes at dig

It has a treadmill when you level.

When you get to 80, the treadmill isn’t there (unless you’re in Greens, in which you can skip rares anyway).

As for Ascended, as long as that’s the last tier, it’s more of a step, since a treadmill is continuous until you get off.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

ArchonWing.9480

Man, this kind of mentality is so results oriented. To me at least, it makes me feel people are gonna ask “Why dine at that expensive restaurant… you are going to go to the bathroom anyways?”

In other words, I feel it’s the type of person that would go out to eat and consider the endgame in the bathroom while ignoring everything in between. Though some are actually too lazy to actually eat too.

I’m glad the Gw2 endgame is NOT the continuous trip to the bathroom. The actual experience though could use some fixing.

Posted by: Surbrus.6942

Surbrus.6942

As for Ascended, as long as that’s the last tier, it’s more of a step, since a treadmill is continuous until you get off.

Ascended is a massive treadmill. Most people will never be able gear up your alts to max gear, especially if you have multiple builds you wish to play.

Ascended gear was only put in to appease these players who cannot fathom a video game without a useless gear treadmill. There are plenty of games that mask little content behind massive grinds and gear treadmills, those people should just go play those games.

Gehenna.3625

Rolls eyes at dig

It has a treadmill when you level.

When you get to 80, the treadmill isn’t there (unless you’re in Greens, in which you can skip rares anyway).

It’s just slower or do you really think that when they raise the level cap (which is coming according to Anet last time I checked) your current gear will automatically be made level 90 or whatever? Also level cap raises are part of treadmills. Anet is going much slower so you can walk it at your leasure, but ascended gear is step 1 and the level cap raise is likely to be the next one and as you say ascended may not be the last tier. You think that once they’ve brought out armour with ascended stats and most people have it, it will all end there? I have a doubt…..yeh I think it’s just very slow but still a treadmill. And that’s not a bad thing necessarily, so don’t think I am against it per definition.

When the game came out I was against it because it was sold to me as a game without gear progression. Now that I know they never actually said it, well, then that’s what it is. I also play MMOs that do have gear progression and that’s fine as long as it doesn’t go too fast.

ArchonWing.9480

Ascended is a massive treadmill. Most people will never be able gear up your alts to max gear, especially if you have multiple builds you wish to play.

Ascended gear was only put in to appease these players who cannot fathom a video game without a useless gear treadmill. There are plenty of games that mask little content behind massive grinds and gear treadmills, those people should just go play those games.

This is actually a concern that A-net refuses to address, or even pretend exists. It seems like their ideas of progression are always balanced around an account with one character.

Guess which type of player that ends up hurting more?

Galtrix.7369

Wait…you’re shocked that a game that advertised as having no continuous gear treadmill for endgame doesn’t have a continuous gear treadmill at endgame?

Getting higher and higher stats isn’t ‘deep’. It simply makes the numbers that pop up get bigger.

Now, adding things like new skills and such. That adds depth. Why? Because the player has more choices in order to alter and refine their build. Providing these choices are viable, more skills on the same power level as all other skills will add a whole lot more depth than numbers simply getting bigger.

Obviously you haven’t played an Mmorpg besides Guild Wars 2, because there are slots, runestones, gems, any many other things that contribute to the depth of the armor. Saying, “the numbers get bigger” is too simplistic, but that’s what you have with GW2. Simplicity. The only thing you get with GW2 is “more numbers”. Sure, adding new skills adds depth, but Anet royally screwed that up in Guild Wars 1 because all classes were unbalanced to the point of extinction.

(edited by Galtrix.7369)

Posted by: Surbrus.6942

Surbrus.6942

raise the level cap (which is coming according to Anet last time I checked)

Sorry for the tangent… but source please? I don’t think Anet is that suicidal with their game…

Posted by: Chicho Gosho.6507

Chicho Gosho.6507

This is actually a concern that A-net refuses to address, or even pretend exists. It seems like their ideas of progression are always balanced around an account with one character.

Guess which type of player that ends up hurting more?

The new ach system is a step in the right direction and i hope they continue to improve playing on alts.

Posted by: matjazmuhic.1649

matjazmuhic.1649

… but our princess is in another castle.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Obviously you haven’t play an Mmorpg besides Guild Wars 2, because there are slots, runestones, gems, any many other things that contribute to the depth of the armor. Saying, “the numbers get bigger” is too simplistic, but that’s what you have with GW2. Simplicity. The only thing you get with GW2 is “more numbers”. Sure, adding new skills adds depth, but Anet royally screwed that up in Guild Wars 1 because all classes were unbalanced to the point of extinction.

Having more ways to add bigger numbers to gear is not depth, it’s complexity. It just means it takes more time, effort and/or gold to maximize your final numbers.

As to the point of the thread, I’ve got a better question. What was the point of putting stats onto armor other than armor rating, or on weapons other than damage rating?

Was it to attract players from earlier MMO’s who have been trained to expect stats on gear? Making that choice opened Pandora’s Box. Once people see stats on gear, they are going to expect to improve those stats on an ongoing basis. I don’t think we are done with gear progression. Once people get their Ascended, we’ll see the, “Nothing to do, nothing to work for…” complaints (again), and ANet will cave (again). I hate being cynical, but the best indicator of future performance is past performance.

Galtrix.7369

Obviously you haven’t play an Mmorpg besides Guild Wars 2, because there are slots, runestones, gems, any many other things that contribute to the depth of the armor. Saying, “the numbers get bigger” is too simplistic, but that’s what you have with GW2. Simplicity. The only thing you get with GW2 is “more numbers”. Sure, adding new skills adds depth, but Anet royally screwed that up in Guild Wars 1 because all classes were unbalanced to the point of extinction.

Having more ways to add bigger numbers to gear is not depth, it’s complexity. It just means it takes more time, effort and/or gold to maximize your final numbers.

As to the point of the thread, I’ve got a better question. What was the point of putting stats onto armor other than armor rating, or on weapons other than damage rating?

Was it to attract players from earlier MMO’s who have been trained to expect stats on gear? Making that choice opened Pandora’s Box. Once people see stats on gear, they are going to expect to improve those stats on an ongoing basis. I don’t think we are done with gear progression. Once people get their Ascended, we’ll see the, “Nothing to do, nothing to work for…” complaints (again), and ANet will cave (again). I hate being cynical, but the best indicator of future performance is past performance.

You made this one a little too easy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVL4st0blGU

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

You made this one a little too easy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVL4st0blGU

Yeah, it’s a fun video.

It’s possible that we aren’t in disagreement at all. It’s possible that when you type, “…because there are slots, runestones, gems, any many other things that contribute to the depth of the armor.” you’re referring to a completely different system than I’m thinking about when I read it. On further reflection, I can envision armor stat systems that offer deep choices while to building a character. However, I haven’t really played any of them.