What is with the freakin' CC in this game...

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Arkham Creed.7358

Arkham Creed.7358

I just popped a holo projector in Iron Marches which brought the Orr holos out and it drew two warthogs to boot. Not counting the initial KD, and two evades I was knocked down and/or stunned SEVEN TIMES IN A ROW before I could even begin the fight.

For the love of all that is holy, STOP WITH THE ENDLESS CC in this game from every freaking mob. It is not “challenging” it is not fun it is strictly infuriating and pointless and drags fights out for absolutely no reason.

Getting pulled a half dozen times in ten seconds by spiders is MADDENING. Getting constantly locked down because every enemy in the area can do a knockdown or stun is MADDENING. Stop. With. The. Ceaseless. CC.

You think you have it bad, try playing a squishy profession like a thief who gets instantly killed after the first knockdown.

Posted by: Erasculio.2914

Erasculio.2914

There are two issues here:

1) In one hand, we have the full Berzeker gear warriors with 5 signets who don’t want to stop attacking in order to dodge and who obviously are not going to change their utility skills. Those players are annoyed with any kind of crowd control since it stops them from winning by auto attacking, and so they would like such things to be gone from the game.

2) In other hand, a few areas do have too much crowd control. I have never had any issue with the holograms, but Orr has always been incredibly annoying in this aspect. The issue with Orr is that it has been so badly designed, and it’s so utterly unpleasant to play there, that often people just want to move from one point in the map to the other as fast as possible; all the crowd control in Orr, which even after the nerf is still a lot, only increases the annoyance when moving through those maps.

ArenaNet should completely revamp Orr (it’s not like they don’t have lore-based reasons to do so anyway). Just get a different team from the one who did the Southsun revamp, considering how that part of the map is now even worse than it was before.

“I think that players are starting to mature past the point of wanting to be on that
treadmill, of being in that obvious pattern of every time I catch up you are going to
put another carrot in front of me” – Mike O’Brien right before Ascended weapons

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I’m pretty sure that a place like Orr wasn’t really meant to be soloed. In a group of even two or three people, not everyone needs stun breakers. Orr is perfect to duo.

Not every area in the game has to be made for solo players.

Posted by: spconder.2489

spconder.2489

Didn’t they put dodges and stun breakers in the game to prevent precisely this? I’ve never had problems with being crowd controlled, and I’m a bloody WARRIOR.

So, how on earth did the OP get stunlocked like that? I find it a bit hard to believe.

Posted by: digiowl.9620

digiowl.9620

Dodge, dodge, stunbreak, stunbreak, stunbreak, die because everything is on cooldown.

Posted by: deviller.9135

deviller.9135

CC that become problem is: stun, dazed, knock. Although the counter is stability (and stun breaker (oh but stun breaker is only one use)), but not all class have access to stability directly or their stability cd is too long or when they have stability, they cannot do anything. For example necro (need trait), engi, mesmer, thief (only their elite).

Perma CC need to go (Its poor design in PvE and PvP). I mean: first – third CC = full duration, start from forth its halved, fifth halved from forth, until seventh you cannot be CC-ed (in every 10 s; all timer reset to 10 s if you cc-ed (1-6)).

(edited by deviller.9135)

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

Dodge, dodge, stunbreak, stunbreak, stunbreak, die because everything is on cooldown.

Is ‘kill’ anywhere in there?

There’s also ‘run away’ when your health gets low. And if you getting problems because you’re trying to run past mobs, then get some sense and just kill the things. I can run through Orr pretty easily, get to most events without issue but the times when mobs nab me and start to gang up that’s when you shift to kill mode.

Leo G.4501

CC that become problem is: stun, dazed, knock. Although the counter is stability (and stun breaker (oh but stun breaker is only one use)), but not all class have access to stability directly or their stability cd is too long or when they have stability, they cannot do anything. For example necro (need trait), engi, mesmer, thief (only their elite).

Yo necro, use some minions. That’s what they’re there for, taking the heat off you.

Perma CC need to go. I mean: first – third CC = full duration, start from forth its halved, fifth halved from forth, until seventh you cannot be CC-ed (in every 10 s).

No. Someone suggested diversifying the mobs and I don’t have a problem with that suggestion. You don’t need mobs themselves to be watered down because of CC. They don’t last that long.

Posted by: Bloodstealer.5978

Bloodstealer.5978

Outside of WvWvW I cant say I have encountered anything like perma CC lock even before they changed Orr a whiles back.

Just need to learn what the signs are for impending CC from mobs, use your stunbreakers etc wisely, dodge when ya can and .. you can still fight back if you do get CC’ed.
I am sure if ANET were to change this to provide an immunity to CC for players when already stunned etc then they will have to do the same for mobs/bases etc – fair is fair.

However WvWvW I can see some mileage in an immunity period as we are dealing with “slightly better” organised enemies who tend to have differing levels of “AI”

Posted by: Insignya.8625

Insignya.8625

Fighting mobs isn’t fun in this game. I could never put my finger on why that was exactly. Maybe it’s the fact that Tyria is so magical and these monsters look so grim and stale. Their mechanics are just…. annoying. I don’t know a single person who genuinely enjoys fighting them alone. I mean, the closest thing to fun I’ve experienced is killing the Ettin. Those are cool, and they have a distinct and pronounced animation.
One thing I remember from doing Map Completion was how much CC there was packed in every monster. I would get thrown around, immobilized, slowed – people don’t like that! I wanted to explore and take in all the beauty of the world, but instead it became this nauseating sprint because I could never just stand in one place and not get attacked. Oh, and if you’ve fought for like, a skill point in Orr, you know how quickly mobs respawn, it’s almost unreal.
The leash range, the endless CC – I don’t know, it’s just so bloody annoying, especially in places like Southsun Cove. Look at Wildstar for example- the monsters are bright, colorful, beautifully animated – I would love to fight those. GW2? Eh, I just run past them and hope for the best.

deviller.9135

Yo necro, use some minions. That’s what they’re there for, taking the heat off you.

Perma CC need to go. I mean: first – third CC = full duration, start from forth its halved, fifth halved from forth, until seventh you cannot be CC-ed (in every 10 s).

No. Someone suggested diversifying the mobs and I don’t have a problem with that suggestion. You don’t need mobs themselves to be watered down because of CC. They don’t last that long.

Ok, necro can use his minions, mesmer can use his clones, engie can use his turret, but what about thief, use dancing dagger every encounter, thief guild every encounter, perma stealth and stay ranged ?

Perma CC (multiple) mob is not only from holo (which actually rare), but gravelling in AC. Use minion > minion dead in second, clone dead in second, turret, these gravellings dont care a bit about turret.

Open World ? Try ogre in fields of ruin. They will kick you here and there. Knock you down every time they can.

(edited by deviller.9135)

Posted by: Michaeas Magister.1589

Michaeas Magister.1589

I don’t think I’ve ever been chain stunned by anything, not even the holo mobs. Sounds like a L2P issue to me.

Ah, another one. However, this time it is more of a learn to READ issue on your end. I have never stated that I have ever been “chain-stunned”. Although I have, I have never stated in on this post. But, for the record, head over and try to take down a Veteran Basilisk along with its spawns. Or, you could try to take on several of the Inquisition as many of them also have stun abilities. I would suggest you first learn to differentiate between “chain crowd-control” and “chain-stun” but after that, head out into the world and fight some more “multiple MoB” fights and you will see what several of us are posting about.

Thanks.

It’s as I have always said,
“You can get more results with a kind word and a big stick,
than you can with merely a kind word.”

Michaeas Magister.1589

Ah, someone ELSE who has fought the gravelings in AC!!

LOL

+1

Thanks.

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

Devourers 2 knockdowns in a row – yay fun fun……

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Leo G.4501

Fighting mobs isn’t fun in this game. I could never put my finger on why that was exactly. Maybe it’s the fact that Tyria is so magical and these monsters look so grim and stale. Their mechanics are just…. annoying. I don’t know a single person who genuinely enjoys fighting them alone. I mean, the closest thing to fun I’ve experienced is killing the Ettin. Those are cool, and they have a distinct and pronounced animation.

Although I haven’t had time to play in the last few weeks, over the course of my playtime I have lots of fun just soloing to level up in open world. I tend to like playing up-level content where mobs are 5-8 levels above. Did that on a couple of warriors, a ranger and a mesmer.

It’s probably unintentional but what you’re saying is…you don’t have fun fighting in the game. This is regardless of CC because most mobs don’t have control abilities. You can go fight flame legion and they likely have 2 types with some kind of control, most fauna like skelk, devourers, spiders, bears, drakes, etc etc may only have 1 type with CC or none at all. Whole factions like Inquest, Sons of Svanir, Skritt, Hylek, etc have so very little CC you can nearly write them off as not having any…

…so being CC’ed for extended durations is no fun. Okay. But fighting most mobs is unfun to you in general? Well that sounds like your personal problem and you’re trying to pin it on a mechanic you just happen to not like.

Perma CC (multiple) mob is not only from holo (which actually rare), but gravelling in AC. Use minion > minion dead in second, clone dead in second, turret, these gravellings dont care a bit about turret.

Mmm, me thinks you actually are a n00b here. Granted the gravelings that do the knockback and things can be a pain, it’s hardly insurmountable. They are meant to break up the tank and spank tactic a bit, forcing people to move or get moved.

There are so many ways to avoid their knockback and fear its not even funny and they usually are spending large amounts of time not attacking to do their CC you have plenty of time to take care of them, avoid them and kite them.

Posted by: Treeline.3865

Treeline.3865

I just popped a holo projector in Iron Marches which brought the Orr holos out and it drew two warthogs to boot. Not counting the initial KD, and two evades I was knocked down and/or stunned SEVEN TIMES IN A ROW before I could even begin the fight.

For the love of all that is holy, STOP WITH THE ENDLESS CC in this game from every freaking mob. It is not “challenging” it is not fun it is strictly infuriating and pointless and drags fights out for absolutely no reason.

Getting pulled a half dozen times in ten seconds by spiders is MADDENING. Getting constantly locked down because every enemy in the area can do a knockdown or stun is MADDENING. Stop. With. The. Ceaseless. CC.

Video documentation please. I refuse to believe you were stunned 7 times in a row. Also dodges and condition removal is there for a reason. CC is not bad at all in this game.

Leader of Heroes [Hero] – Seafarers Rest

Posted by: Ratty.5176

Ratty.5176

There are so many ways to avoid their knockback and fear its not even funny and they usually are spending large amounts of time not attacking to do their CC you have plenty of time to take care of them, avoid them and kite them.

The Graveling knockback has a really pronounced animation. They crouch a bit, hiss with a kind of spitting animation, just before they pounce.

There are only 2 places where it can be an issue.

One is the Hodgins room with the burrows, and this is down to the team not knowing how the encounter works and spawning 2 Scavengers which work their way through the whole team. If you are aware that the killing front burrow spawns a burrow and they jump out of it you can prepare and run in and kill their burrow before the cause a problem, you just need enough stability, stun breaks or shields to survive a few seconds.

The second is the Final fight in the Hodgin path, and that is due to the numbers. But even then it’s a case of watching for the leap and dodging and keeping a fire ring between you and the enemy. You should only need a stun break if you kitten up.

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

Video documentation please. I refuse to believe you were stunned 7 times in a row. Also dodges and condition removal is there for a reason. CC is not bad at all in this game.

It’s very easy to be hit by 7 or more CCs depending on how many mobs are in the swarm.

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

Posted by: xiv.7136

xiv.7136

CC by mobs isn’t too crazy. Some mobs will stunlock you, but you have a proactive trinket on a 5 second cooldown. It’s called dodge. If you get hit with CC, you will have several stunbreaks in your utilities, and possible even on your weapon skills.

Mobs will also put conditions on you. That’s why you have condition removal also. Make some decisions, actually know what you’re fighting and play the game properly.

Don’t blame the game for your own failings. It’s a L2P issue.

Autoattacking mobs endlessly till they (or you) die of boredom belongs in other games.

At least here the mobs fight back to a semi-reasonable degree, even if they are still super easy to kill.

deviller.9135

It’s very easy to be hit by 7 or more CCs depending on how many mobs are in the swarm.

Looks like people have forgotten gear consumable incident in WvW. Perma Stun, perma lock. Nice huh ? Pop your stun break > stunned again. The only class which can escape this is guardian. If people have immunity to CC after several hit of CC (or a bit immunity to CC after stun break is casted), this incident will hardly happen.

As in context in PvE world, graveling and ogre (in mob) have similar problem. Perma lock. (although its usually due to accident (trapped in the middle of the mob, knocked in their first knock down attempt)).

@Leo G
Yeah I am a n00b. But this is not reason I want perma CC go away. Perma CC, perma stealth is a bad mechanic in the game.

If you are in WvW while gear incident still there, what will you do (you are using a class which cannot cast stability while stun locked) ?

Posted by: Chewablesleeptablet.3185

Chewablesleeptablet.3185

To the OP and all who agree……

Instead of skipping Mobs…….
Why not kill them all by safely aggroing them one by one? The respawn rate is acceptable. If you are in a rush to get somewhere….. Use a waypoint for god sakes.

Should a player really be able to run through a mosh pit of spiders and get out clean? Hell no!

Stop skipping content and play the game.

Posted by: Erasculio.2914

Erasculio.2914

The respawn rate is acceptable. If you are in a rush to get somewhere….. Use a waypoint for god sakes

Sure. That doesn’t work in Orr, though. Almost all waypoints there are contested, and moving around the area to reach the waypoints and free them is such a pain that almost no one bothers.

Regarding the parts of the game that are fun, I agree with you. Regarding Orr… No.

“I think that players are starting to mature past the point of wanting to be on that
treadmill, of being in that obvious pattern of every time I catch up you are going to
put another carrot in front of me” – Mike O’Brien right before Ascended weapons

Posted by: Chewablesleeptablet.3185

Chewablesleeptablet.3185

The respawn rate is acceptable. If you are in a rush to get somewhere….. Use a waypoint for god sakes

Sure. That doesn’t work in Orr, though. Almost all waypoints there are contested, and moving around the area to reach the waypoints and free them is such a pain that almost no one bothers.

Regarding the parts of the game that are fun, I agree with you. Regarding Orr… No.

They wouldnt be contested if you could get a group together and do some events…….. This is an MMO where players get together and play you know?

Shoulda Woulda Coulda ……. If Orr isn’t fun then why be there? Frostgorge Sound and Southsun Cove are both level 80 areas and the fireheart rise is high enough to get T5-6 mats.

If the game isn’t fun why play it? Who are you playing for and are you getting paid for it?

Posted by: DiogoSilva.7089

DiogoSilva.7089

So now we’ve condensed your suggestion to “Make the enemies easier”?

Easier difficulty, or easier to enjoy the game? Because currently, the cc spamfest is a challenge to enjoyability, not to actual difficulty. :P

You offer no real solution, just what you think is unfun.

You can’t be CC locked so having mobs throwing multiple CC just means you need to avoid them. Apparently you don’t like to avoid attacks which is the mainstay of this game.

Perhaps you’d be more interested in another game instead? Or better yet, post a video showing just how common it is for mobs to control you.

We’re talking about how excessive they are, not about how easy or not they are to avoid. And yes, taking away control from the player is largely unfun for the majority of the playerbase for the simple fact that taking away control from the player contradicts the purpose of a video game (which is to give control to a player). It’s disruptive. At the right time and in the right quantities, it’s important and acceptable. But when two or three dredges or two or three orr spiders are kding or pulling you over and over, it’s quite annoying, regardless of whether you can dodge and stun break them, or not.

The solutions exist. There are several conditions that weaken or nullify the player’s options without taking away control from them. Blind, weakness, cripple, etc. There’s boons like aegis, retaliation, etc. All those make the game more strategical, because the player must improvize their playstyle. It’s much better than a cc spamfest that demands from the player to spam dodges and stun breakers against mobs that are otherwise easy, and prevent a situation that otherwise is always disrupting the game’s flow.

Not only is the “dodge” argument terrible, but so is the “go play another game” argument. People criticize this game because they care about it, and they want to see it improve. Constructive criticism is healthy. Meanwhile, asking people to leave is not.

(edited by DiogoSilva.7089)

Leo G.4501

We’re talking about how excessive they are, not about how easy or not they are to avoid. And yes, taking away control from the player is largely unfun for the majority of the playerbase for the simple fact that taking away control from the player contradicts the purpose of a video game (which is to give control to a player). It’s disruptive. At the right time and in the right quantities, it’s important and acceptable.

And I believe the game has achieved important and acceptable quantities because CC doesn’t stack, only refreshes. Unless you have 5+ mobs using the same move one after the other spaced out long enough, you won’t face being controlled for extended periods of time. In cases where it’s possible for that to occur, you can prevent it by syncing the foes which is easily accomplished by kiting.

If you understand the AI, you’ll know that each mob only has a few moves and they have a cooldown. They won’t repeat the same move before it’s off cooldown unless you stun them before they can use it and they are more likely to use their ‘auto attack’ over their special CC moves.

But when two or three dredges or two or three orr spiders are kding or pulling you over and over, it’s quite annoying, regardless of whether you can dodge and stun break them, or not.

So you’re telling me that three dredge or three orr spiders pose enough threat to you that it requires they be changed? You don’t think, if the possibility to aggro more mobs is present that you should try actively preventing such from happening by defeating them in smaller groupings? Or in events with multiples swarming, that you shouldn’t bother attempting to enlist help?

Not only is the “dodge” argument terrible, but so is the “go play another game” argument. People criticize this game because they care about it, and they want to see it improve. Constructive criticism is healthy. Meanwhile, asking people to leave is not.

Don’t have a problem with people criticizing anything. Do so to your hearts content. But you’re enforcing your opinion by trying to have the game be changed, in which case, people will likely criticize your changes. If you learned how to play better, 3 orr spiders, or even 10 orr spiders would likely pose little threat.

Posted by: pricer.5091

pricer.5091

And yet three months ago, the vast majority were open. Fact is, its just not worth going there now.

Michaeas Magister.1589

So now we’ve condensed your suggestion to “Make the enemies easier”?

Easier difficulty, or easier to enjoy the game? Because currently, the cc spamfest is a challenge to enjoyability, not to actual difficulty. :P

You offer no real solution, just what you think is unfun.

You can’t be CC locked so having mobs throwing multiple CC just means you need to avoid them. Apparently you don’t like to avoid attacks which is the mainstay of this game.

Perhaps you’d be more interested in another game instead? Or better yet, post a video showing just how common it is for mobs to control you.

We’re talking about how excessive they are, not about how easy or not they are to avoid. And yes, taking away control from the player is largely unfun for the majority of the playerbase for the simple fact that taking away control from the player contradicts the purpose of a video game (which is to give control to a player). It’s disruptive. At the right time and in the right quantities, it’s important and acceptable. But when two or three dredges or two or three orr spiders are kding or pulling you over and over, it’s quite annoying, regardless of whether you can dodge and stun break them, or not.

The solutions exist. There are several conditions that weaken or nullify the player’s options without taking away control from them. Blind, weakness, cripple, etc. There’s boons like aegis, retaliation, etc. All those make the game more strategical, because the player must improvize their playstyle. It’s much better than a cc spamfest that demands from the player to spam dodges and stun breakers against mobs that are otherwise easy, and prevent a situation that otherwise is always disrupting the game’s flow.

Quoted for truth.

+1

Thanks.