What is with this zerg stuff?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: RuneCrimson.7380

RuneCrimson.7380

Ok yeah I know I am going to get flamed for this but I have to figure out why anyone would want to do it. I found out today a zerg is a ton of people running around mobbing events and such. Why would someone want to do that and get little to no exp cause its being divide out to over 20-50 or more players. It would take forever to level up that way less all of them where level 80’s and it did not matter. So really whats the use of it other then being a exp bleeder.

{Knights of Revengence} [KoR-Lord]
“Nothing is true! Everything is Permitted!”

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

EXP is not decided by how many people you have. It’s a fixed percentage based on your level and the ranking you get when it completes. EXP from killing enemies is also handled independently and you’ll receive the same EXP in a zerg as you would solo.

In Queensdale they zerg since you can level up every 3 cycles or so. They also do it for the champion loot bags.

RuneCrimson.7380

I have heard all that before but have seen different many times I have received more fighting by myself then I have fighting in groups I have seen it. If I am to get the same as I would alone then why is it different when I fight with someone or more then one? I have watched it happen more then once. I can kill a Entin by myself and get 1,000 or over I fight it with someone I get nothing or half that…never 1,000 so yeah it depends on how many people yer with. I helped kill a Vet troll and got like a quarter of what I would have alone.

Posted by: Tribio.8531

Tribio.8531

I have heard all that before but have seen different many times I have received more fighting by myself then I have fighting in groups I have seen it. If I am to get the same as I would alone then why is it different when I fight with someone or more then one? I have watched it happen more then once. I can kill a Entin by myself and get 1,000 or over I fight it with someone I get nothing or half that…never 1,000 so yeah it depends on how many people yer with. I helped kill a Vet troll and got like a quarter of what I would have alone.

Lies.. :p

You could be referring to the event reward from killing (for instance) the Champion Troll in Queensdale.. If you are there from the beginning, you’ll get gold reward.. Do you come a bit later, you’ll prolly get a silver or bronze reward..

The Hatreidis family: Freya / Nina / Demonica / Athena / Faith / Arya / Angie / Sansa
Commander – Jam Death [Jd]
Fissure of Woe

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

Welcome to the new guild wars.. where we champion farm, LS farm, and AP farm and no longer have fun.

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

Posted by: Poledo.3256

Poledo.3256

On one hand, there is fun in events in which a massive amount of players get together. On the other hand it gets real boring real quick. However it remains the number one quickest way to gain money (for most people) with little effort. All you need to do is dedicate your time to it.

Everyone is up in arms about “farmers” but this has made farmers out of people that would usually be up in arms about “farmers”. Anet has realized one thing, and capitalized on it. Slight of hand. Look no carrot here (gear treadmill) but hey we have these others things that are going to make you want to log on as much as possible and milk them while you can.

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

Welcome to the new guild wars.. where we champion farm, LS farm, and AP farm and no longer have fun.

That about states it. :P

Welcome to the moronic world of brainlessness, where you suck if you don’t have gold, and if you don’t like gold, you suck cause there’s nothing else to do in the game than farming it.

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

Posted by: Mesket.5728

Mesket.5728

Watch it man, the F word is forbidden in the forums. Unless you refer to speed farming as fun.

Zerk is the average Joe build. Don’t pat yourself in the back too hard.

RuneCrimson.7380

No am not talking about the Medals I am talking about not getting the exp cause its divided out between everyone helping to kill anything and everything in the game. I have seen it with my own eyes but again I know no one will believe it when I have seen it. I know I have killed things alone then killed things with someone else and gotten different exp for it. I have tried it a number of times with different characters I have…everytime its the same. So yeah a zerg would be like a exp bleeder.

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

Many players are already at lvl 80. We have little to no use for EXP so we don’t really care for it.

All the farmers pretty much want are drops.

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

Vol.5241

Also keep in mind that even if you do want EXP
-exp rate is not shared
-you could get more exp by killing lots of mobs faster

[Permabanned on Forums]

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

Now you do have to tag stuff. Spread some AOE damage. I like to call it spray and pray since mostly I see mobs just when they are dying. With the scaling there are a lot more mobs as well. Finally be aware that there is bonus xp if a mob has not been killed in a while – which you might have come across with your Ettin, but that has nothing to do killing it alone or not. There is no punishment for grouping.

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

Tribio.8531

I have tried it a number of times with different characters I have…everytime its the same. So yeah a zerg would be like a exp bleeder.

Hate to break it to you, but NO..

If MobX is worth 800XP for lvl 80 players, than all lvl 80 players who tag the mob will get that amount, simple as that..
The same goes for WXP earned btw: Whether you capture a camp (worth 150 WXP) solo or with 50 players, everyone will get the 150WXP..

The Hatreidis family: Freya / Nina / Demonica / Athena / Faith / Arya / Angie / Sansa
Fissure of Woe

RuneCrimson.7380

Not what happens to me but ok guess something is bugged with my game then…cause if more people help me I see a decline in exp. shrugs I watch for that kinda thing in games so I do not join groups and guilds before I get to a high enough level to actually mean something. I seem to lvl faster alone then I do with groups cause of the more exp I get alone then I do with groups.

Tribio.8531

Hey RuneCrimson, it is kinda strange indeed that you seem to notice this.. Maybe the exploration XP bonus that is explaining the differences?

Nevertheless, some food for reading: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Experience

Fissure of Woe

RuneCrimson.7380

Not the bonus and I have read that before. Still does not account for the decline in xp I have seen when fighting with others. But its not going to be seen cause to many people are set on what is being said on a page. The key to advertising a game is to tell people what they want to hear. They get involved with whatever it is and they never see the difference. So game companies and other companies for any product will say whatever they want to sale a product. Being thakittens not a big deal to most no one sees the ploy to sale a product. When those that know these skeems sees thakittens not true they pick it out. I have seen the decline in XP when fighting with others. Test it and post on the forums what you get. I am positive I have seen it.

Posted by: UrMom.4205

UrMom.4205

well as far as the zerg goes…we are playing an MMO…can anyone tell the class what MMO means? exactly. On the note of farming, i’ll farm some champs for not even an hour and then move on to do other things…i’m still having a blast in this game. No one is forcing you to farm. Just play the game and do the content you like. If you don’t like any of the content then quit playing, simple as that.

Team Raven [TR](Dead)
Wu Táng Financial [Táng] – YB

Vol.5241

Not the bonus and I have read that before. Still does not account for the decline in xp I have seen when fighting with others. But its not going to be seen cause to many people are set on what is being said on a page. The key to advertising a game is to tell people what they want to hear. They get involved with whatever it is and they never see the difference. So game companies and other companies for any product will say whatever they want to sale a product. Being thakittens not a big deal to most no one sees the ploy to sale a product. When those that know these skeems sees thakittens not true they pick it out. I have seen the decline in XP when fighting with others. Test it and post on the forums what you get. I am positive I have seen it.

OK whatever dude. You came here looking for answers, you got them and you refuse to believe them.

You’re the new player, we have a ton of players here who have played since release. Take that for what you will.

[Permabanned on Forums]

Posted by: CuteLilKittenHugz.2064

CuteLilKittenHugz.2064

RuneC – it could be the weapon you’re using.

You only get EXP for the monsters you hit before they die. So fighting alone, you’ve hit all the monsters so you get EXP for all of them. But in a zerg, other people might be killing mobs before you can get to all of them. If you’re using a melee weapon like a dagger, you kill one monster at a time and that will seriously handicap you from hitting more monsters. If you use a weapon like a shortbow, you’ll be able to hit more monsters at a time, thus increasing the amount of EXP you get credit for.

That’s my theory about what you are describing, fwiw.

Posted by: ProphetSword.5427

ProphetSword.5427

Here’s a way to convince us: Post screenshots.

Take a screenshot of you killing an Ettin solo showing how much XP you gained. Then get someone else to kill one with you and take another screenshot. Post the results here and let us see the proof.

Posted by: simplesimon.2084

simplesimon.2084

Just to put myth about less exp from mobs to rest I posted two shots. First is of a solo kill and the second is of a group kill. Both gave 46xp.

Attachments:

(edited by simplesimon.2084)

RuneCrimson.7380

simplesimon: funny must be my class cause I have never seen that happen. I have killed that same thing you are killing in the pic by myself and gotten 46xp and when someone helped me I got like 23xp with a bonus of about what you got. So not sure why it would give you the same thing and not me. And not sure what other weapons I can use I have used every weapon I can.

simplesimon.2084

Remember the xp will change based off your current lvl. Enemies don’t give standard xp. They give an xp based of the % you need for the next lvl. So if I go kill that same Ettin 2 lvls from now he will give me different xp

RuneCrimson.7380

I don’t get that…cause that would mean it would take forever to level up. If the mechanics are set like that the higher level you are the less XP you get…..and it would mean that it does effect the character to fight with others as well…cause they get more since they might be a lower level and getting more off the kill.

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

simplesimon: funny must be my class cause I have never seen that happen. I have killed that same thing you are killing in the pic by myself and gotten 46xp and when someone helped me I got like 23xp with a bonus of about what you got. So not sure why it would give you the same thing and not me. And not sure what other weapons I can use I have used every weapon I can.

RNG runs really deep in you to be getting hit by XP RNG.

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

Posted by: spalt.6938

spalt.6938

You know… just play the game.

Really.

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Experience

All it means is that it encourages you to move to a zone at your level. If I go to a starter zone as a lvl 80 I should not get as much xp as if I was in a lvl 80 zone.

So make sure you have no modifiers on you, stay the same level and kill the same lvl mob, one time alone and one time with someone else. Best to stay in the same zone as well otherwise your level might change because of that.
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Dynamic_level_adjustment

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

Posted by: AntiGw.9367

AntiGw.9367

I don’t get that…cause that would mean it would take forever to level up. If the mechanics are set like that the higher level you are the less XP you get…..and it would mean that it does effect the character to fight with others as well…cause they get more since they might be a lower level and getting more off the kill.

It’s actually the opposite. You get more exp from the same mob the higher level you are.

simplesimon.2084

You get more xp the higher the your lvl is but the % of the lvl is lower so if you stay in down leveled areas it’ll take more kills then if you were in an appropriate area.

Attachments:

simplesimon.2084

it would mean that it does effect the character to fight with others as well…cause they get more since they might be a lower level and getting more off the kill.

And you would get the same xp weather they were there or not, plus you killed it quicker since they were there.

Posted by: Knote.2904

Knote.2904

Zerging is by far the most rewarding, which is why it happens… a lot.

It’s really that simple, people go where the rewards are, there’s nothing wrong with that it’s just how it is, it’s down to poor game design that causes things like this to happen.

Rewards need to be distributed somewhat evenly across multiple parts of the game.

Posted by: stale.9785

stale.9785

Someone further up nailed it – the experience he’s getting in a zergball is reduced because he’s not tagging as many enemies. It’s the only explanation that fits. I’m one of the wiki editors, and the work on the experience page was reasonably complete in September. Unless something has changed that nobody but OP noticed, it should still stand.