What is wrong with nudity?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

I’ll agree with allowing nudity as long as the player has to watch a woman give birth first!!!

why? What’s wrong with you? So if I want to see an attractive naked male I should watch a guy with a beer belly make fecal matter on the floor in public first? There’s nothing wrong with finding human body attractive.

Posted by: Oglaf.1074

Oglaf.1074

Nudity is bad and you should feel bad.

Nudity is fine in the confines of your own home, but it certainly isn’t needed in any way, shape, or form in an MMORPG.

If you want nudity in your game, here’s some choices for you :

1)Age of Conan
2) Therapy

I’d say you’re the one needing therapy, considering how blatantly insecure and repressed you are in your own biological urges.

I can do thirty Five-Dolyak Arm Curls.

Do you even lift, bro?

Posted by: Oldbugga.7029

Oldbugga.7029

First of all I will sate that I grew through puberty in the 60s ..the era of free sex etc etc so I am not a prude by any stretch of the imagination.

I can’t even see why there is any discussion on this.

It would add NOTHING to the game.

It would offend many cultures/religions whose peoples play this game.

There are plenty of other places on the net to get anime/pics/video that include nudity so can we please just have one place on the net….our game…where it is not thrown at us in every conceivable way.

It ain’t gunna happen.

Posted by: Archmortal.1027

Archmortal.1027

some parents let there underage kids (mine is 3 and LOVES charr and yes he can walk around with it 10 minutes a day no killing just walking around as a 3 year old should) and it would be very unpleasant if off a sudden there comes a group of naked norn males and females jumping around on the screen with bouncing parts and all.

if you want nudity go play second life or get skyrim and install a nudity mod.

This is what I was talking about in my first post. This mindset right here. If we stopped raising kids with this mindset would these ridiculous situations still happen? Sure they would. Would anyone care enough to be offended or otherwise have a reaction other than “wow look at those weirdos wasting their time”? No.

Why does it need to be a big deal? Why do children need to be “protected” from nudity? What is such a huge deal about the human body’s external reproductive organs? Are they evil? Are they inherently immoral in some way other than what Religion teaches?

Re: “What would nudity add to the game?”
-An option. Does it need to add anything else? I’m not saying it belongs in every game or even this game, but should it be omitted from consideration simply due to a cultural irrational fear of sexuality? If nudity were not seen as a negative thing due to our Puritan heritage would anyone even question the presence of nudity in day-to-day life, and therefor in video games? Again I’ll mention Japan. Nudity was a thing in day-to-day life. People often walked around with their reproductive bits exposed and no one cared because it was normal. If video games could be made back then, would nudity have made it into games in their culture? Probably. Partially nude NPCs probably wouldn’t be a rare thing until they localized it for westerners and had to add textures to it. So what changed in Japan? Strict Religious People came in and said it was wrong and immoral. Key word: Religious.

Overall I’m just posting in this thread looking for people to give a response to my questions. If we disregard principals passed on from one Religion or another and account for it being responsible for our cultural sensitivity to it where does it leave us? Would it still be an issue? If so, what would that issue be and why?

(I really don’t want a religious debate, I’m merely pointing out that Religious teachings are the origin of this sensitivity to nudity and sexuality. If we ignore that origin, would the issue have still arisen and why?)

Oldbugga.7029

It would offend many cultures/religions whose peoples play this game.

Religion’s view (or rather, Christinaty’s view – it is Christianity we mean when we say “religions”, isn’t it…) is so warped, twisted and wrong it should not be allowed to carry any sway in any matter concerning nudity.

That may be the case and I am not arguing in its favor…..I am saying not all cultures/people are as free about sex and nudity as others.

You need to look beyond your own values and at society values at large…including this game playing society. One view does not fit all and that is the beauty of our democratic societies…we can all hold different views.

Oglaf.1074

Why do you automatically connect the dots between sex and nudity? You can very well have nudity without sex.

Don’t let the Pope guilt-trip you, bro/sista.

Do you even lift, bro?

Oldbugga.7029

Why do you automatically connect the dots between sex and nudity? You can very well have nudity without sex.

Don’t let the Pope guilt-trip you, bro/sista.

You make a huge assumption there and a wrong one….I was a naturist for a substantial part of my life. I have NO hangups about nudity at all. And I am agnostic.

Oglaf.1074

Well you can’t fault me for doing so when you make the most basic argument the religious use against nudity.

Do you even lift, bro?

Oldbugga.7029

I was not making a case..I was merely stating what IS. Stop making assumptions.

Posted by: Anakita Snakecharm.4360

Anakita Snakecharm.4360

what would be so wrong with an “adult” server? if your offended dont join it.

A game development team has only a finite amount of resources. (Staff, money, etc.) Allocating resources to a certain project means that those resources are not available for other development tasks.

I’m not “offended” by the idea of an adult server with nude character models, but I would consider it a waste of resources that could otherwise be devoted to working on game developments that would have broader appeal to the playerbase as a whole.

Posted by: Moderator.3204

Moderator.3204

This thread will be closed now. Next to drifting too far away from the actual topic, derailing into a discussion about religion, there is actually no such item to let your character look naked while playing.
There is of course nothing wrong with nudity, but it’s not important for Guild Wars 2 as a game designed for many people to enjoy.