What is your /age?

What is your /age?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Fay.2735

Fay.2735

Ah now I get it – so people with hundreds/thousands of hours have a lot of time spent either afk, waiting for other people or chatting ingame.

I tend to play solo or loosely grouped most of the time, so my time ingame is nearly always spent actively doing something.

Edit: So it’s quite a lot to do with usage patterns – leaving your machine on and leaving the game open in the background or something.

Or maybe people with hundreds/thousands of hours spend their in game time “actively doing something” and almost never hanging around chatting or afk. Or maybe they do a combo. Does it matter?

I spend most of my gaming time either playing actively or talking in chat, usually both. Not as much spend AFK although I do sometimes alt-tab to check the forums and such and I tend to log off to do real life stuff.

•— Fay Everdunes | Fay Erduna | Lilyfay (Fay.2735) — Mesmer/Revenant — [NA]FA — 8k±Hrs Played —•
Have you heard of the city? The ancient uru? Where there was power to write worlds

What is your /age?

Posted by: Curunen.8729

Curunen.8729

Ah now I get it – so people with hundreds/thousands of hours have a lot of time spent either afk, waiting for other people or chatting ingame.

I tend to play solo or loosely grouped most of the time, so my time ingame is nearly always spent actively doing something.

Edit: So it’s quite a lot to do with usage patterns – leaving your machine on and leaving the game open in the background or something.

Or maybe people with hundreds/thousands of hours spend their in game time “actively doing something” and almost never hanging around chatting or afk. Or maybe they do a combo. Does it matter?

No it doesn’t matter – my post was serious in that I didn’t understand, no offence intended.

What is your /age?

Posted by: Harbinger.8637

Harbinger.8637

Well now I don’t feel so bad with my +2500h since headstart.

Guardian WvW Guide!
Heavens Rage

What is your /age?

Posted by: crystal.5930

crystal.5930

No it doesn’t matter – my post was serious in that I didn’t understand, no offence intended.

I may have been a little more brusque than necessary. It’s hard to determine someone’s tone in text and I assumed the worst. Sorry.

Chosovi Rose, Thomas Thorn, Crystalbrier, Bracken Farstone, Crassul, on Tarnished Coast
“Worshipping nonsense and imagination” — Hayden Herrera (paraphrased)

What is your /age?

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I always enjoy reading the excuses people use to justify sitting in front of a computer playing a game ten hours a day, everyday. If I was retired I would have many hobbies. If I was rich, I certainly wouldn’t spend all my time on a game. If I worked from home I would actually focus on my job. I don’t know just seems way unhealthy to have any good reason. I personally felt like I had to many hours logged with 450. Well don’t want to be super negative because that’s not good either. So to each their own. It’s not my life so as long as you are enjoying yourself more power to you friends. Just don’t be afraid to expand your horizons.

Judgmental much? What you would do is completely irrelevant, since everyone is different. No one has to make excuses to do something they enjoy, particularly if they’re working hard in other areas. This is in your head.

Never judge someone until after you’ve walked a mile in their shoes. This way, if they get kitten ed off, they’re a mile away and barefoot.

What is your /age?

Vayne.8563

This is quite true. Due to the nature of my real life situation, I often don’t get blocks of time to play for hours on end, But I do get 15 minutes here, 20 minutes there. And sometimes I do get to play for hours on end, but it’s relatively rare.

But I don’t log out every time I go AFK to do a chore. The exception would be WvW, where I do log out during prime time to make room for someone else to get in.

What is your /age?

Posted by: JJBigs.8456

JJBigs.8456

For real. Saying computer gaming is worse than people who spend all day watching TV or partying in clubs like paris hilton or doing sports or relaxing on beaches or whatever honestly makes no sense. to each their own

What is your /age?

Posted by: RainbowSyrup.4130

RainbowSyrup.4130

around 2.2k hrs. I work and such though. If I didn’t I’d probably have more hrs

’’I’m sad hanar can’t wear sweaters’’
-Grunt

What is your /age?

Posted by: Deamhan.9538

Deamhan.9538

30..wait, you meant character age.

For real. Saying computer gaming is worse than people who spend all day watching TV or partying in clubs like paris hilton or doing sports or relaxing on beaches or whatever honestly makes no sense. to each their own

I agree to a certain degree.

From a single person perspective, gaming is better than watching TV for a couple reasons.

-It gets you thinking; and
-It has social qualities (talking with other people).

However, unless the other person/people are gaming with you, TV is still spending time with those who are in your life. If they don’t game with you, then you are not spending this time with them.

Gaming Vs Clubs. I’d say it’s cheaper to game but with the way some people throw money into these Cash Shops, I think the clubs would be cheaper for them. Socially, interacting with people face to face is better than over TS or ingame chat.

Sports? No contest. Going out and playing a sport is, in all ways, better for you than gaming.

What is your /age?

Vayne.8563

30..wait, you meant character age.

I agree to a certain degree.

From a single person perspective, gaming is better than watching TV for a couple reasons.

-It gets you thinking; and
-It has social qualities (talking with other people).

However, unless the other person/people are gaming with you, TV is still spending time with those who are in your life. If they don’t game with you, then you are not spending this time with them.

Gaming Vs Clubs. I’d say it’s cheaper to game but with the way some people throw money into these Cash Shops, I think the clubs would be cheaper for them. Socially, interacting with people face to face is better than over TS or ingame chat.

Sports? No contest. Going out and playing a sport is, in all ways, better for you than gaming.

I game with my wife…probably half the time I play she’s also playing. We also watch tv together, and go out with the dogs together. (Me and my dogs play backyard cricket lol).

But Guild Wars 2 is my main hobby.

What is your /age?

Posted by: Lunar Sunset.8742

Lunar Sunset.8742

There will always be those people who say the people with more hours than them have no life blah blah blah. It’s amazing what people can do if they don’t need that much sleep, don’t have children, don’t have your life. Everyone is different and everyone has different spans of time they can play in. Don’t be so ignorant and think that these people don’t have any lives, sometimes they probably have a bigger social life than you outside of the game.

But back to the point of the thread. /age 1229h

Sunset
50/50 GWAMM x3
I quit how I want

What is your /age?

Vayne.8563

There will always be those people who say the people with more hours than them have no life blah blah blah. It’s amazing what people can do if they don’t need that much sleep, don’t have children, don’t have your life. Everyone is different and everyone has different spans of time they can play in. Don’t be so ignorant and think that these people don’t have any lives, sometimes they probably have a bigger social life than you outside of the game.

Oh yeah, once the kids are grown and on their own, your whole life changes. Particularly if you have insomnia, which I do.

The more I think about the topic though, the more I wonder what validity it has. Without knowing how much someone has PLAYED and how much someone has just logged in, it’s relatively meaningless.

Achievement points would be a better indicator of time spent, or some specific achievements maybe, like Dungeon Master.

But seeing how much you stay logged into a game doesn’t really reflect how many hours you’ve played it.

What is your /age?

Posted by: RainbowSyrup.4130

RainbowSyrup.4130

Plays less than me = casual noob
Plays more than me = no-life basement dweller

Gotta love that mentality, eh?

’’I’m sad hanar can’t wear sweaters’’
-Grunt

What is your /age?

Posted by: Mastermavrick.2439

Mastermavrick.2439

1954hrs over 9months, 2024hr all chars

The Revenant Apostle [Rvnt]→ DragonBand
Kaiji Ruko – 80 Ranger, Revanat Shadowdeath – 80 Necromancer

What is your /age?

Posted by: TastyMuskrat.3794

TastyMuskrat.3794

Across all characters, you have played for 3,256 hours 58 minutes over the past 9 months.
I play only 1 character.

Goodness, 135 days ^ ^

What is your /age?

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

Back in GW1 days, I used to play regularly at least 2 hours daily.
Mostly I logged in just to play 2 or 3 UW or FoW runs daily, with no objective whatsoever, I didn’t grind, I just enjoyed the instance, the complexity (which admittedly eventually disappeared), the teamwork, and the idea that you could _ up everything for everyone extremely easy.
GW2 fails to deliver me the same experience.

/age in GW2 is 450 hours
I ABSOLUTELY HATE laughable easy content.

What is your /age?

Posted by: Curunen.8729

Curunen.8729

I may have been a little more brusque than necessary. It’s hard to determine someone’s tone in text and I assumed the worst. Sorry.

No worries!
Yes I can see how my post could have come across as judgemental.

Personally I find it hard to concentrate in game for more than a few hours. At most I could do half a dozen hours in a day, but need time to recover.

Even more so for pvp – I find my skill degrades after a couple of hours play – muscle and brain coordination isn’t easy to maintain, especially in front of a computer.

What is your /age?

Vayne.8563

Back in GW1 days, I used to play regularly at least 2 hours daily.
Mostly I logged in just to play 2 or 3 UW or FoW runs daily, with no objective whatsoever, I didn’t grind, I just enjoyed the instance, the complexity (which admittedly eventually disappeared), the teamwork, and the idea that you could _ up everything for everyone extremely easy.
GW2 fails to deliver me the same experience.

/age in GW2 is 450 hours
I ABSOLUTELY HATE laughable easy content.

Every single thread is an excuse for you to post how much you hate the game. Every thread. Why bother? We all KNOW you hate the game. That’s not what this thread is about.

What is your /age?

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

If this game was called “Guilds” “Tyria” or “Attack of Zhaitan” you can be sure I would have quit this game months ago and I would not be here posting on this forum.
What annoys me the most is that the game I loved and supported for many years turned into this I don’t even know what, but certainly it’s not a sequel.
So yeah, I’m waiting till September.

What is your /age?

Posted by: Geotherma.2395

Geotherma.2395

Is it bad if your /spent is larger than your /age?

Intel i7 3.9ghz processor 16GB Ram 2TB HDD
Nvidia GTX 650 Win 7 64bit FFXI 4+yrs/Aion 4+ years Complete Noob~ Veteran OIF/OEF
http://everyonesgrudge.enjin.com/home MY GW2 Music http://tinyurl.com/cm4o6tu

What is your /age?

Vayne.8563

If this game was called “Guilds” “Tyria” or “Attack of Zhaitan” you can be sure I would have quit this game months ago and I would not be here posting on this forum.
What annoys me the most is that the game I loved and supported for many years turned into this I don’t even know what, but certainly it’s not a sequel.
So yeah, I’m waiting till September.

Completely irrelevant to what I said. There are a gazillion complaint threads to post in, every single comment in every single thread doesn’t have to be turned into a complaint.

What is your /age?

Posted by: joshisanonymous.5270

joshisanonymous.5270

I always enjoy reading the excuses people use to justify sitting in front of a computer playing a game ten hours a day, everyday. If I was retired I would have many hobbies. If I was rich, I certainly wouldn’t spend all my time on a game. If I worked from home I would actually focus on my job. I don’t know just seems way unhealthy to have any good reason. I personally felt like I had to many hours logged with 450. Well don’t want to be super negative because that’s not good either. So to each their own. It’s not my life so as long as you are enjoying yourself more power to you friends. Just don’t be afraid to expand your horizons.

Basically, this. My concern when someone has and /age (or /played) that amounts to 12 hours a day is that they’re not playing that much because it’s the activity they feel makes their life more enjoyable than any other but because they simply can’t stop. I once spent two years playing an MMO literally every moment I wasn’t at work, in school, or sleeping. At one point I didn’t leave my apartment for an entire week and mostly just ordered pizza when hungry (because cooking would subtract from game time). Obviously, some part of me enjoyed the game, but I was miserable. And I’ve always regretted it desperately because there’s so much I wanted to do and could’ve done during that time but didn’t.

So, maybe it’s just me, but the shocked response is not so much, “You’re a loser, get a life,” as it is, “I’m concerned that you’re not really that okay with playing so much.” Case in point, Vayne sounds rather defensive even when responding to the person I quoted, who I thought was making his point as delicately as possible. That causes concern in me since, if one is really satisfied with the amount of gaming they do, they wouldn’t get so angry when someone else simply says, “To each their own, but don’t you have other hobbies you want to make time for?” (Sorry to pick you out Vayne, but you’re the only one in the 3,000 hours range who’s responding a lot.)

What is your /age?

Vayne.8563

Basically, this. My concern when someone has and /age (or /played) that amounts to 12 hours a day is that they’re not playing that much because it’s the activity they feel makes their life more enjoyable than any other but because they simply can’t stop. I once spent two years playing an MMO literally every moment I wasn’t at work, in school, or sleeping. At one point I didn’t leave my apartment for an entire week and mostly just ordered pizza when hungry (because cooking would subtract from game time). Obviously, some part of me enjoyed the game, but I was miserable. And I’ve always regretted it desperately because there’s so much I wanted to do and could’ve done during that time but didn’t.

So, maybe it’s just me, but the shocked response is not so much, “You’re a loser, get a life,” as it is, “I’m concerned that you’re not really that okay with playing so much.” Case in point, Vayne sounds rather defensive even when responding to the person I quoted, who I thought was making his point as delicately as possible. That causes concern in me since, if one is really satisfied with the amount of gaming they do, they wouldn’t get so angry when someone else simply says, “To each their own, but don’t you have other hobbies you want to make time for?” (Sorry to pick you out Vayne, but you’re the only one in the 3,000 hours range who’s responding a lot.)

You see, this is the kind of thinking most people do, and it’s flawed.

YOU had a problem with an addiction to an MMO, so you assume anyone who plays an MMO all the time has an addiction to MMO. Guild Wars 2 is the LEAST addictive MMO I’ve ever played. I’m not addicted to it. I’m enjoying it.

A lot of the reason I’m enjoying it is my guild. They’re fun to hang out with. But I assure you, I do a lot more with my day/time than just play Guild Wars 2. You’re simply making assumptions about me based on your own experience. My experience is completely different.

I play Guild Wars 2 because I have a LOT of free time, but also because I’m largely home bound. I also watch TV, read, play with the dogs. Guild Wars 2 works for me, because I can play in very small increments. I don’t have to play for hours at a time, and very rarely do. I sit down to relax for a bit, play a bit, take a break, play some more later. Logged in is not the same as play time, as I’ve already pointed out.

Everyone has different life circumstances. As an example, I’d MUCH rather visit a national park than play Guild Wars 2. Except that visiting a national park isn’t an option for me. I also read a book a week, follow several TV shows, and spend time with my wife.

Judging people without knowing them or their situation, particularly based on your own experience, will often lead you to false conclusions.

What is your /age?

Posted by: Ping.5739

Ping.5739

Across all characters, you have played for 3,256 hours 58 minutes over the past 9 months.
I play only 1 character.

And I just know it must be a ranger. smh, same stuff in the ranger sub-forum again.

1700 hours(90% actively playing), and hasn’t increased since last week. gw2 is getting way too repetitive.

This useless bar doesn’t make you awesome. However, stuff above does.

(edited by Ping.5739)

What is your /age?

Posted by: Meglobob.8620

Meglobob.8620

1,100 hours here, no afk’ing and usually move around with speed buffs/use wps all the time, also I always have objectives to complete but am easily distracted by something/one in game…

What is your /age?

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

I play only 1 character.

And I just know it must be a ranger. smh, same stuff in the ranger sub-forum again.

It’s obvious I play a Ranger as it is part of my sig, but, is there a problem with me being a Ranger. What does smh mean?

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

What is your /age?

joshisanonymous.5270

YOU had a problem with an addiction to an MMO, so you assume anyone who plays an MMO all the time has an addiction to MMO. Guild Wars 2 is the LEAST addictive MMO I’ve ever played. I’m not addicted to it. I’m enjoying it.

A lot of the reason I’m enjoying it is my guild. They’re fun to hang out with. But I assure you, I do a lot more with my day/time than just play Guild Wars 2. You’re simply making assumptions about me based on your own experience. My experience is completely different.

I play Guild Wars 2 because I have a LOT of free time, but also because I’m largely home bound. I also watch TV, read, play with the dogs. Guild Wars 2 works for me, because I can play in very small increments. I don’t have to play for hours at a time, and very rarely do. I sit down to relax for a bit, play a bit, take a break, play some more later. Logged in is not the same as play time, as I’ve already pointed out.

Everyone has different life circumstances. As an example, I’d MUCH rather visit a national park than play Guild Wars 2. Except that visiting a national park isn’t an option for me. I also read a book a week, follow several TV shows, and spend time with my wife.

Judging people without knowing them or their situation, particularly based on your own experience, will often lead you to false conclusions.

Just to be clear, I wasn’t judging you. The whole point of my post was to say that it makes me concerned that you might be playing so much for unhealthy reasons. I don’t know if you are or aren’t, but that possibility is where the concern lies.

If I’m making any assumptions here, it’s that I think my experience is not unique, but even just taking a cursory glance through a peer-reviewed article database brought up plenty of articles on the topic so I doubt that even this assumption is poor.

But again, I’m simply talking about the possibility of a problem, nothing more.

What is your /age?

Vayne.8563

Just to be clear, I wasn’t judging you. The whole point of my post was to say that it makes me concerned that you might be playing so much for unhealthy reasons. I don’t know if you are or aren’t, but that possibility is where the concern lies.

If I’m making any assumptions here, it’s that I think my experience is not unique, but even just taking a cursory glance through a peer-reviewed article database brought up plenty of articles on the topic so I doubt that even this assumption is poor.

But again, I’m simply talking about the possibility of a problem, nothing more.

Okay…but you’re expressing concern and then in the same thread quoting my name. I’ve had a long and relatively successful life. I’m quite happy with where I am, and what I’ve done and I’m doing.

Don’t be surprised if you express concern and then name someone that they’d respond in this manner.

What is your /age?

Posted by: Ping.5739

Ping.5739

I play only 1 character.

It’s obvious I play a Ranger as it is part of my sig, but, is there a problem with me being a Ranger. What does smh mean?

There is absolutely no problem with you playing only a ranger for 3000+ hrs.

This useless bar doesn’t make you awesome. However, stuff above does.

What is your /age?

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Btw, unsolicited internet life health advice, especially of the internet psychiatrist kind may be well meaning, but it’s almost always worthless.

Yea, screw them.

Right, it’s always “If I can’t do it, nobody else can and must be a loser”. You can’t play lots of a video game and make lots of money. Insecure much? Mutual exclusion?

One can certainly play a lot of gw2, and be a loser that spent too much time on it.
But you can be a loser without playing video games too. And there is definitely a more concrete definition of one— spending your time on a video game forum bashing people for it. I Idle a lot as well— usually get kicked for inactivity.

I’m going to leave my hours played a secret for a bit more, so people can make stupid assumptions about me. Then I’ll post them and make them look silly, proving that they have a mentality of a twelve year old. (Actually no, let’s not insult twelve year olds)

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

What is your /age?

Posted by: Erasculio.2914

Erasculio.2914

I thought that was so 2001, but I guess I was wrong.

You are wrong.

It’s rather obvious that you are wrong, too. You are basically claiming that it doesn’t matter who the players are, and that’s completely nonsensical. Just look around this forum – a large number of topics are about what should be rewarded in game, about whether challenging content is good or not, and so on. And the differences in opinion often are due to different backgrounds. Borrowing a comic strip someone linked here last week:

Attachments:

“I think that players are starting to mature past the point of wanting to be on that
treadmill, of being in that obvious pattern of every time I catch up you are going to
put another carrot in front of me” – Mike O’Brien right before Ascended weapons

What is your /age?

Erasculio.2914

And that’s pretty much a perfect example. The first player wants content that rewards time spent and skill, but not money. The second wants content that rewards skill and money, but not time spent. The third wants content that rewards time and money, but not skill.

Do you know who, among those three, is right?

Whoever ArenaNet wants. Whoever is ArenaNet’s target audience.

If ArenaNet wants as its main audience the demographics between 20 and 40 years made of players who have little time but a lot of money and skill (I wish the reading comprehension here were good enough to understand the lack of commas in that phrase), being told that everything in the game is perfect as it is by people outside that demography is not so relevant; the opposite would apply if ArenaNet had a different target audience, and the players I described above were complaining about the game.

So yes, who players are matters. Who spends the longest playing the game, and why they play the game, is obviously relevant to ArenaNet. The different opinions of different kinds of players is, of course, important to ArenaNet.

Trying to hide behind a “what other people do or say” empty statement is just a weak excuse. Everyone here plays the same game, and we are all ultimately talking to the same developers.

“I think that players are starting to mature past the point of wanting to be on that
treadmill, of being in that obvious pattern of every time I catch up you are going to

(edited by Erasculio.2914)

What is your /age?

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

I do believe that video game/Internet addiction is referenced in the new DSM-5 (2013) as a condition for further study. I’m sure this doesn’t apply to most here but it is being considered as an actual diagnosable disorder.

The Burninator

What is your /age?

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

Since 3day headstart, just passed 1000 hours, and got my first precursor drop XD

Thankyou game.

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com

What is your /age?

Posted by: Roxy.7260

Roxy.7260

Only 308 hr. But then again, I took a very long break.

[ Roxy | Engineer | Sea of Sorrows ]
[ Escha Malier | Ranger | Sea of Sorrows ]

What is your /age?

ArchonWing.9480

You are wrong.

No u. It’s very honest of you to quote one of my sentences and declare I am wrong.

It’s rather obvious that you are wrong, too. You are basically claiming that it doesn’t matter who the players are, and that’s completely nonsensical.

You’re missing the picture. It is definitely a part, but it’s not the whole part. See, people do indeed have lives outside the forum. Extrapolating people’s lives into strawman arguments based on what they say on a forum doesn’t bring out the whole picture. Which is why I pointed out internet psychiatry is useless, but keep on with the psychoanalysis please.

Just look around this forum – a large number of topics are about what should be rewarded in game, about whether challenging content is good or not, and so on. And the differences in opinion often are due to different backgrounds. Borrowing a comic strip someone linked here last week:

Nice comic. I wholly agree that it is sad that time and luck > skill. I assure you that when it comes to forum warrioring that we are indeed opposites on your dichotomy of time vs luck and skill. No matter how much you can write and time you spend, you’ll never match my skill.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,

What is your /age?

Posted by: Geotherma.2395

Geotherma.2395

1612 Hours 6 months. Been playing less lately due to beta testing and college, but always good to take breaks lol

Intel i7 3.9ghz processor 16GB Ram 2TB HDD
Nvidia GTX 650 Win 7 64bit FFXI 4+yrs/Aion 4+ years Complete Noob~ Veteran OIF/OEF
http://everyonesgrudge.enjin.com/home MY GW2 Music http://tinyurl.com/cm4o6tu

What is your /age?

Erasculio.2914

You’re missing the picture. It is definitely a part, but it’s not the whole part. See, people do indeed have lives outside the forum.

Irrelevant. No business model is focused on 25 years old adults who like in Oklahoma near big parks and have dogs named Bill. Target audiences are broad groups, to which people can easily state they belong to or not without having to describe their whole lives.

So can we know who players are based on a short post in the forum? For everything that actually matters in the context of having a discussion about a game, yes. I don’t know if that’s enough from the point of view of “forum warrioring”, but then again I have never been fond of wasting my time with such trifles.

What is your /age?

ArchonWing.9480

You’re missing the picture. It is definitely a part, but it’s not the whole part. See, people do indeed have lives outside the forum.

Irrelevant. No business model is focused on 25 years old adults who like in Oklahoma near big parks and have dogs named Bill. Target audiences are broad groups, to which people can easily state they belong to or not without having to describe their whole lives.

But that’s also irrelevant. Why are we talking about business marketing and demographics? The topic at hand is between a subset of players that play the game talking about the amount of playing.

So can we know who players are based on a short post in the forum? For everything that actually matters in the context of having a discussion about a game, yes. I don’t know if that’s enough from the point of view of “forum warrioring”, but then again I have never been fond of wasting my time with such trifles.

No you can’t know who players are. You can judge the points they make though. Beyond the name tag and the words that appear on the screen, that’s all you can really analyze. Anything else goes into speculation. Although my speculation that doing something even less productive than playing a video game (posting about strangers playing a video game) is a bit ironic when trying to pass some kind of judgement or quantitative assessment on it. I’m not just referring to you only though.

It’s unfortunate you have so little time to waste. You’re missing out! :p

What is your /age?

Erasculio.2914

But that’s also irrelevant. Why are we talking about business marketing and demographics? The topic at hand is between a subset of players that play the game talking about the amount of playing.

As I have described above, those topics are the same thing.

What is your /age?

ArchonWing.9480

Ah, I didn’t realize you double posted.

It’s not though. This is a conversation between players, and while Anet might read it and actually care, that’s outside the scope of the discussion. Unless you have a stake in the company.

Edit: And to finally add value to the thread, I believe it was around 750-800 hours. I’ll have to check for sure.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

What is your /age?

Vayne.8563

You are wrong.

It’s rather obvious that you are wrong, too. You are basically claiming that it doesn’t matter who the players are, and that’s completely nonsensical. Just look around this forum – a large number of topics are about what should be rewarded in game, about whether challenging content is good or not, and so on. And the differences in opinion often are due to different backgrounds. Borrowing a comic strip someone linked here last week:

You shouldn’t believe everything you read on the web. Taking a comic, which is making fun of a stereotype doesn’t strengthen your argument.

Are you saying there aren’t younger people who aren’t skillful, because I know a bunch of younger people who aren’t skillful. I also know people who work full time have a family and are skillful. And I know some older players who are VERY skillful.

This comic proves what I said about your first post. It’s a comic. It’s not life.

What is your /age?

Vayne.8563

I do believe that video game/Internet addiction is referenced in the new DSM-5 (2013) as a condition for further study. I’m sure this doesn’t apply to most here but it is being considered as an actual diagnosable disorder.

Sadism and masochism used to be in the DSM and they removed them as a disorder. Something being in a book doesn’t make it fact, even the DSM.

There are probably people who are addicted to video games. However, it’s far more likely to me that there are people who are depressed or anxious and they’re SELF-MEDICATING with video games.

Considering the damage some prescription meds do to people, I’m not sure video game addiction is the big problem here.

Treat the depression, and you’ll have less people addicted to video games.

What is your /age?

Vayne.8563

Since 3day headstart, just passed 1000 hours, and got my first precursor drop XD

Thankyou game.

Hey that’s really cool. Gratz!

What is your /age?

Posted by: Zavve.8205

Zavve.8205

A lil under 900. I can’t think of any excuse or lie as to why though lol. I just like this game :s

What is your /age?

Posted by: redhand.7168

redhand.7168

668 hours in 9 months. I’m having less and less reason to play.

What is your /age?

Posted by: illusion.1764

illusion.1764

~ 900 hours on my main ranger character, and 200 hours on mesmer. Honestly ? I think I’m done. I’m already sick of rng boxes and “gemstore content”. Funny thing is that I support Path of Exile (which is free to play) by microtransactions and stuff, just because they do a very good job. Overall – I’ve spent more than 200 USD on it already. I will never support guild wars 2 in its current state. Why this game is always unrewarding ? no matter what you’re gonna do – you’ll always get crappy loot. No matter where you farm efficiently – they’ll nerf it to the ground. Its pretty sad for me, because I absolutely love the world of Tyria. Well, I guess I’m gonna return once this business model will change. Hopefully – it will happen someday.

What is your /age?

Posted by: Gery.2718

Gery.2718

800 hours since headstart, about ~150-200 hours were just AFK or chatting in LA/with guildies I guess. And I thought I’m a hardcore player (if I do the math I played a little less than 3h/day), but after this thread I’m not sure anymore. xD

What is your /age?

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

1.5k hours. I have a 100% job. Also I had a 2 months break. Still I think there are people I just wonder, why they don’t have to work to live.

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

What is your /age?

joshisanonymous.5270

Sadism and masochism used to be in the DSM and they removed them as a disorder. Something being in a book doesn’t make it fact, even the DSM.

There are probably people who are addicted to video games. However, it’s far more likely to me that there are people who are depressed or anxious and they’re SELF-MEDICATING with video games.

Considering the damage some prescription meds do to people, I’m not sure video game addiction is the big problem here.

Treat the depression, and you’ll have less people addicted to video games.

Well, yes, exactly. So when someone states that they’ve played a video game 12 hours a day every day for a year and that wasn’t simply AFK time, there’s certainly a chance that they have problems they need to address.

(On a side note, I added up my time played when I felt I had a problem and it was nowhere near 3,000 hours per year. It was around 750 hours per year. That was all non-AFK time and literally the maximum amount of hours I could fit in while still working full time and sleeping.)