What kind of armor do you like?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Invictus.1503

Invictus.1503

Tribal Armor, but they removed it from PvE after the Beta

It’s better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

Light: Something like the state alchemist uniforms from Fullmetal Alchemist. Also, some cloth longcoats. Also: Pants.

Medium: More tight leather without the longcoat look to it. Actual leather armor with a bit of metal to it here and there.

Heavy: Something more of a half-plate style, with either chain or leather armor covering the gaps.

All: Practical looking armor is great. I also wouldn’t mind some more revealing armor for men (The Six know there’s enough of it for female light already). Armor should cover, more or less, the same areas on both genders. If it’s a lacy shirt for women, it should be a lacy shirt for men. If the style changes drastically from male to female, that’s a fail.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: korelg.7862

korelg.7862

In response to this I will be drawing some potential arnors.

What would you guys think of class specific armors? An idea I had was elementalist armor that could change color with the element in use. For example: Sylvari glow could change, and Charr tails could glow red, greeb, blue, and purple depending on the element, humans and Asura could get glowing eyes and hands, Norn tattoos could glow the element color.

Im also going to draw some engi armor with moving gears wiTh moving gears and pistons and steam. Maybe some ranger armor that changes what animal it looks like by what pet you have out…

Okie, sometimes I get a bit carried away but are these decent ideas?

that sounds insanelly cool, might be a good idea for legendary sets? or gem store sets?

Posted by: Minion of Vey.4398

Minion of Vey.4398

I like revealing armor, because my character is pretty saucy.

Posted by: Gathslan.1870

Gathslan.1870

Can I get skimpy male armor please ? They are so prude that there is an armor hiding the left nipple on an heavy armor. Come on ANet, female armors are super skimpy. It’s sexist.

Theres plenty of skimpy male armors

Posted by: Ordika.9513

Ordika.9513

What would you guys think of class specific armors? An idea I had was elementalist armor that could change color with the element in use. For example: Sylvari glow could change, and Charr tails could glow red, greeb, blue, and purple depending on the element, humans and Asura could get glowing eyes and hands, Norn tattoos could glow the element color.

Im also going to draw some engi armor with moving gears wiTh moving gears and pistons and steam. Maybe some ranger armor that changes what animal it looks like by what pet you have out…

Definitely something for engineer’s, but steampunk engineer (the Asuran stuff is too space engineer for my tastes).

Heavy armor – please some realistic boots, one of the reasons I like the Heavy Plate karma set (see earlier post for link) is that it has a more realistic setup for functional heavy armor.

Ordika Skirata || Keirstaad Rhith || Rhun Turold || Quinten Vigar || Ahrung Park
Swansonites of North Shiverpeak – Northern Shiverpeaks

Posted by: Khyber.2693

Khyber.2693

Just now noticed how awful my last post was grammar and spelling wise. kitten you android

By the way how would legendary armor work? Create the whole set all at once or craft each piece?

Khyber.2693

Definitely something for engineer’s, but steampunk engineer (the Asuran stuff is too space engineer for my tastes).

Heavy armor – please some realistic boots, one of the reasons I like the Heavy Plate karma set (see earlier post for link) is that it has a more realistic setup for functional heavy armor.

I dont wear heavy so I wouldnt know… what is bad about the current boots? Personally all boots seem kinda plain to me.

Posted by: Jemmi.6058

Jemmi.6058

I would really like to see more skirts (that are cut above the knee). I feel this game is severely lacking these. I can name only one (between Medium and Light) and that is the Light starter set.

korelg.7862

Just now noticed how awful my last post was grammar and spelling wise. kitten you android

By the way how would legendary armor work? Create the whole set all at once or craft each piece?

I think crafting the whole set at once would make them insanelly hard to get, so i’d go for piece to piece crafting, that way you can craft only the peieces you actually want for your mix and match set

Khyber.2693

I think crafting the whole set at once would make them insanelly hard to get, so i’d go for piece to piece crafting, that way you can craft only the peieces you actually want for your mix and match set

We could only hope that Anet wouldnt make each piece ridiculously hard to get. They could easily make legendary sets 1000x times harder than getting a legendary weapon.

Posted by: Demented Sheep.1642

Demented Sheep.1642

Generally I like the more…grounded armour I guess? I don’t know really know how to describe what I like. I like a lot of the medium armours (on non Charr because of clipping and yes they could use some more variation) and I often like a bit of asymmetry.
Although the Sylvari plant armour is awesome and I liked the Charr concept art Armour.
I don’t often like special effects, random massive spikes or when it’s so massive your characters starts looking like their part gorilla or “skimpy” armour.

I would like to see more pants or shorts for light armor for both male & female, i have 2 norn female characters that wear light armor & for the most part i dislike skirts so pants would be good.

Also some thing like this would be nice for light armor

I really want that armour for my guild wars 2 mes and yes pants would be good. I’m sad it wasn’t that armour for the cash shop light armour.

To use as a random example because I saw it recently this is quite nice to me.

Attachments:

(edited by Demented Sheep.1642)

Posted by: Shifu.4321

Shifu.4321

I don’t really like glowy armor, as they seem a little too garish for my taste (COF being the primary offender). Same goes for weapons. Also not a fan of the spiky stuff.

Posted by: DaShi.1368

DaShi.1368

With the way GW2 currently handles armor, I’m glad that there are not a lot of armor choices available that I like.

Jemmi.6058

With the way GW2 currently handles armor, I’m glad that there are not a lot of armor choices available that I like.

I am confused.

What do you mean by the way GW2 currently handles armor?

Why are you happy that you do not like most of the armor?

Posted by: daver.8324

daver.8324

Flick through this and you’ll see what armors I like:
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198006689968/screenshots/?tab=all

Posted by: Tower Guard.5263

Tower Guard.5263

I like heavy armor that covers every bit of the body. A mix of metal and cloth is nice as it give the image of mobility. I do not like over sexualized armor, chain bikini arh… I won’t use it, but I’ll tolerate it. But heavy armor can be sexy too. But what I would really like, is the ability to color the details of armor pieces. The current color slots are lacking.

examples (source is probably D&D/fire emblem):

Attachments:

(edited by Tower Guard.5263)

korelg.7862

I like heavy armor that covers every bit of the body. A mix of metal and cloth is nice as it give the image of mobility. I do not like over sexualized armor, chain bikini arh… I won’t use it, but I’ll tolerate it. But heavy armor can be sexy too. But what I would really like, is the ability to color the details of armor pieces. The current color slots are lacking.

examples (source is probably D&D/fire emblem):

that last one looks amazing, also that hallberd would be cool to have xD

BTW, has anyone seen TERA’s armor models? those are pretty cool, also armors from Blade&Soul, maybe GW2’s art departmen could take some notes from those games xD

TERA: http://i1121.photobucket.com/albums/l507/DLC200/Armor_zps0237624b.png

Blade&Soul: http://youtu.be/tCci4b029iI

now, those 2 games have completely different art styles from GW2, but still you can pick siome ideas and work with them to fit the game’s style

(edited by korelg.7862)

Posted by: DaShi.1368

DaShi.1368

I am confused.

What do you mean by the way GW2 currently handles armor?

Why are you happy that you do not like most of the armor?

Because I’d want to frequently change armor skins on my characters and I wouldn’t have the cash for stones or storage space to do it.

Posted by: Coquette.2753

Coquette.2753

I’d like some sort of revealing light armor that wasn’t quite so revealing I’d look like a stripper. Right now the options seem to be to either wear so much fabric your character looks shapeless or to wear something with panties showing all over the place. For me, the only thing that falls anywhere near this category is the karma set, but I personally don’t fancy the back part of the skirt or how detached the top is from the bottom (I don’t really like the detailing in general either, I can never dye it in a way that looks nice in my opinion). This obviously for female.

If life keeps asking you the same questions, you are not learning the lessons.
<Piken Square>

Posted by: Flamenco.3894

Flamenco.3894

Because I only create female human/norn characters and I am a male, I like the armor that is the most revealing usually.

Prince Rurik and Lady Althea. Anyone else see the incompatibilty here?

korelg.7862

Because I only create female human/norn characters and I am a male, I like the armor that is the most revealing usually.

true, such nicely sculpted pixels deserve some fitting clothes xD

Posted by: Provost.6210

Provost.6210

Some very good armours posted here.
I’ll share, as well.

Heavy: http://feedyourconsole.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/ACR_SP_EzioTurkishArmor.jpg
Medium: http://www.darkknightarmoury.com/images/PRODUCT/large/OUTFIT-28_3_.png (it’s called brigandine)
Light: http://wallpaperhd.co/wallpaper/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/08/Witcher-the-witcher-2-wallpaper-hd.jpg

Light armour, especially, needs an “armour” component. I am so very, very glad that it isn’t all robes and slippers like so many other games have done with light armour classes. That being said, for an armour rating >1, there certainly seems to be little in the way of protection aside from extra thick lining…

Jemmi.6058

Some very good armours posted here.
I’ll share, as well.

Heavy: http://feedyourconsole.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/ACR_SP_EzioTurkishArmor.jpg
Medium: http://www.darkknightarmoury.com/images/PRODUCT/large/OUTFIT-28_3_.png (it’s called brigandine)
Light: http://wallpaperhd.co/wallpaper/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/08/Witcher-the-witcher-2-wallpaper-hd.jpg

Light armour, especially, needs an “armour” component. I am so very, very glad that it isn’t all robes and slippers like so many other games have done with light armour classes. That being said, for an armour rating >1, there certainly seems to be little in the way of protection aside from extra thick lining…

IMO your light armor looks like medium armor.

I am slightly disappointed that there are very few robes that you can get for light armour. However, I definitely would choose miniskirt and revealing top over a robe anyway.

Posted by: Justin.7163

Justin.7163

I like armor that tends to be flambuoyant, well at least for light/caster armors. Hence why I was immediately attracted to Nightmare armor and outfitted my Mesmer with it. Don’t really pay much attention to medium armor so I can’t really say too much about that.

In terms of Heavy armor I like designs that aren’t simplistic and boring, you know like typical Medieval armor designs that make you look like a tin can. The more detaile and exotic/fantasy looking it is, the better.

I also like a nice balance of revealing and non-revealing stuff, mostly if the revealing stuff is tasteful though and not trashy (male and female-wise). It seems that a lot of the female armor counterparts have random bits and pieces missing for the sake of showing skin, which is kind of silly. I agree with the people who say that, if it’s reavealing for one gender then it should be for the other and vice versa. The best example that comes to mind ATM is T3 Heavy norn armor where the male is covered head to toe yet the female is wearing a thong with bits of metal covering her body. It reeks of sexism (I actually like the look of T3 Heavy female norn armor but I’m just making an example of it).

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

I like Tera Armors, my opinion, flame me if you must..

I like anything revealing Male and Female, doesn’t bother me, as long as it looks good..

I like anything that isn’t a trench coat…..

My favorite in game Armors are the Duelist Medium and the Asura heavy Tier 3, amazing sets a shame the rest look pretty bad.

Posted by: Eleina.5390

Eleina.5390

Light: Something like the state alchemist uniforms from Fullmetal Alchemist. Also, some cloth longcoats. Also: Pants.

Medium: More tight leather without the longcoat look to it. Actual leather armor with a bit of metal to it here and there.

Heavy: Something more of a half-plate style, with either chain or leather armor covering the gaps.

All: Practical looking armor is great. I also wouldn’t mind some more revealing armor for men (The Six know there’s enough of it for female light already). Armor should cover, more or less, the same areas on both genders. If it’s a lacy shirt for women, it should be a lacy shirt for men. If the style changes drastically from male to female, that’s a fail.

I have to agree. I’ve been customizing my mesmer lately and wanted to make her look kinda assassin- like, but everything the wardrobe offers are dresses and these party masks. I’m still looking forward to seeing some medium- inspired stuff, which would let people have a real choice of their image.

This is what I managed to do:

Attachments:

Posted by: Liewec.2896

Liewec.2896

what kind of armour? 2 words
RED SONJA

Posted by: DarkWasp.7291

DarkWasp.7291

Slim. Simple. Elegant.

Not on fire.

No bones sticking out.

Doesn’t look like a scarecrow.

Doesn’t turn my character’s skin blue.

Basically, more stuff like Country Armor.

^ Uses Guild Wars 2 character screenshots for desktop wallpapers.

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

I prefer the whole plate armor look for heavies.
But for light I do with there was more pieces (other than gloves) like the exotic glove ones (like http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Tahlkora%27s_Gloves), but for the rest of the whole set (something that looks like light metal plate armor).

But either way, I want the armor to be symmetrical (ie. shoulder/glove pieces with the same on both sides). I’d love for armor like the barbaric set to have symmetry.
Also, make the set the same the same between genders (no more stuff like the Phalanx Armor where the female version is completely different).

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

Posted by: Seven Star Stalker.1740

Seven Star Stalker.1740

Tera Armor seconded \o/

I ? Karkas.

Posted by: Halvorn.9831

Halvorn.9831

I’d like some light armor that would make my necro look goth. In GW there was Cabal Armor (if i recall the name correctly), I liked that a lot.

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

Heavy armor: I like this kind of Metal-Cloth mix, how i wish there was something like this for my guardian!!
http://news.monsterlittle.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/ziqi-2009june19-alter-saber-lily-1.jpg

While not as fluffy as Saber’s outfit…

Conqueror’s shoulders: [&AgGPGQAA]
Phalanx chest: [&AgFiqAAA]
Protector’s gloves: [&AgHkDQAA]
Draconic leggings: [&AgEwKQAA]
Protector’s boots: [&AgHiDQAA]

Posted by: Cuddy.6247

Cuddy.6247

Virtually anything from the Fable series, but two heavy sets (or costumes) I’d really enjoy would be something along the lines of Ministry of Purity guise and headgear and a Jack of Blades from Fable.

Attachments:

Posted by: illgot.1056

illgot.1056

how about pants?

Armor that does not have a butt skirt, dress, trench coat, large waist protectors, huge pouches, etc.

Light armor has 1 pair of pants, the Embroidered Pants and they are very puffy. Why not just give us a set of real pants, leather pants, shorts, anything but another skirtydressytrenchypouchy bottom.

Posted by: IceVyper.6810

IceVyper.6810

I love this topic!

Before I separate armors by type, I’d like to say that for me the most important is elegant and somewhat revealing armor with texture that dyes nicely.

LIGHT ARMOR:
I love Anise’s armor and I really really want for it to be introduced in game. I prefer shorter and less bulky armors, because they move nicely.

MEDIUM ARMOR
Here I like the Strider set, anything with a trench coat is a big NO for me. And I absolutely hate the T3 female human armor. Although, I do prefer for this type of armor, an assymetrical look. It can be revealing as well, just, please no underboob.
I would like to see in game armors similar to the concept art of Livia’s armor (see attached photo). I think they are really suitable for medium classes.

HEAVY ARMOR
Nothing too bulky, I don’t like armors that make you look like a knight. From what is now in game, I like the Plalanx set and the new super-elite-impossible-to-get PVP armor.

Basically I would pay thousands of gems to acquire armors similar to the ones in Tera or Aion. Of course, those games have super trashy sets as well, but generaly there is lot’s of beautiful stuff.

Attachments:

Posted by: Atlas.9704

Atlas.9704

I want my old Templar armor from GW1.
I would also like more plant based armor, or at least stuff that looks grown.
I also want bear skins draped all over me like the Koda stuff.

In short, I would really appreciate more racial based armors.

Elona, Land of the Golden Sun….and undead…and poison. The travel brochure lied okay?!

Posted by: CyClotroniC.4957

CyClotroniC.4957

Generaly I do enjoy simple and elegant armors, but I could mix and match some really good combinations so far, so I’m not going to say that all armors are rubbish.

What I realized was, that:
- it’s harder to make a charr or an asura unique than the other races
- the lighter the armor class, the more I like them, I really suffer to find attractive heavy ones
- it’s annoying when colors work differently on certain parts, when you trying to mix-match them (for example the darkest you can get from the profane armor set is medium gray)

As for desired, non-gw armors, I really like the styles of Aion armor. Never played the game, but seen some really cool concept arts online, and simply loved them. I’m not saying that every armor should be like, what I like, but some selections from this style would definitely add to diversity. Personaly I found more GW1 armors suitin my taste, but it’s probably really hard to please everyone’s fashion prefences so I except my situation.

Necros need more love… seriously. – http://necroaming.tumblr.com/

(edited by CyClotroniC.4957)

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

so there is it, what kind of armor do you like/would like to see added to the game?

I like having a large assortment of armor as my taste tends to vary, drastically, based on race, class, and overall ‘feel’ of the character I’m trying to build

Some things I’d like to see added, armor wise….(All of my characters are female, so I tend to focus on the female armors, sorry guys)

Pants for female light armor. Just some simple, elegant pants. Hell, if they just stripped the over skirt off priory or conjurer and gave us just those as pants, it’d be a start!

Simple short to mid length skirts for female light as well. We currently have a couple armors that have a nice under skirt, but then they added long over layers to it or crazy stockings. I’d like to see something like the GW1 Mesmer Monument or FoW skirt (minus the stockings) or the Ele Shing Jea or 1k Kurzick. Simple, clean lines.

More non-coat type medium tops. Medium has a lot of nice pants, but most of them are hidden by all the trench coat tops. As a ranger, flitting about the forest, I don’t want to be in some bulky trench coat. As an assassin (sorry, thief), I don’t want some big rustling coat when I’m trying to be stealthy. We have a few “streamline” type gears, but we definitely could use a few more.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Cuddy.6247

- the lighter the armor class, the more I like them, I really suffer to find attractive heavy ones

Same. Too bad I’m not a fan of any of the scholar classes though…it’s really a bite in the kitten . On one hand, I like light armor – on the other, I don’t like the light class.

Countered to this – I like heavy classes but not heavy armor. It makes me rage inside.

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

Whatever fits the theme I imagine for my character.

For example, my main is an Earth Elementalist and follower of Bear, I would love to see some kind of archaic stone/leather light armor with a bear theme. Not to mention a decent pair of stone daggers. But that’s so specific a niche it’s probably never going to happen, so I just kind of find stuff that looks half decent, which believe me is kitten a light armor norn…

But then I have my necromancer, an orphan with no name, who goes by Page Blank, because her birth certificate was officially notarized and filed with nothing on it, leaving her, legally, with a blank space as a name. I try to make her look like a quiet and conservative urban survivalist of the streets of divinitys reach, who reluctantly adventures. Sort of the “I don’t want to save the world, let me stay home and read my books” type. It works pretty well, because I don’t really draw too far from the cultural norms of the in-game human culture.

I guess I’m saying, when it comes to theme, the farther you draw away from the games cultural norms and atypical stories, the harder it is to get your character to look like you imagine him or her. My bear earthmage is really non-typical, bear is associated with warriors, and norn not associated with the elements, as they worship totemic rather than elemental spirits. But my Little Orphan Blank is easier because Humanity is beaten back in this game and easily associated with orphan urban survivalist, and frequently but reluctantly being drawn in to conflict.

(edited by Conncept.7638)

Posted by: Basaltface.2786

Basaltface.2786

more stuff like the magitech armor…seriosly give the engi class (that you quote: “couldnt ship the game without”) some more armors reflecting the profession… heck all medium classes to be honest

Posted by: Mesket.5728

Mesket.5728

I think this post needs more blizzard and manga cliche

Zerk is the average Joe build. Don’t pat yourself in the back too hard.

Cuddy.6247

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

1) Armor without ridiculously large shoulders. That’s getting to be a real dislike for me. I was looking at all the Guild Wars 1 armors recently and so many had small NORMAL looking shoulders.

2) medium armor without trenchcoats. Some sleek lines here please. Trenchcoats are fine in their place but not so many that it’s overwhelming.

3) female light armor that’s not a long dress to the ankles with a open panel in the front, aka buttcapes. More sleek lines here also. Pants (without a short skirt) would be really nice.

4) armor that shows off tattoos, fur or glow is badly needed. I carefully choose fur for its colors, glow for its pattern and color and tattoos that were interesting. Then I had to get armor that hides these. >. >

(edited by Astral Projections.7320)

Posted by: BobbyT.7192

BobbyT.7192

Show moar chest!!!!

Seriously, I forgotten what my male norm’s tattoos look like,

And it is so wrong that I want this exact look on my female human necro ?
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/File:Tribal_armor_human_male_front.jpg
:p

Posted by: BobbyT.7192

BobbyT.7192

Show moar chest!!!!

Seriously, I forgotten what my male norm’s tattoos look like,

And it is so wrong that I want this exact look on my female human necro ?
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/File:Tribal_armor_human_male_front.jpg
:p

Posted by: Duke Blackrose.4981

Duke Blackrose.4981

I like flowing parts. That means that any armor I pick, regardless of whether or not it is light, medium, or heavy, is going to have flowing lengths of cloth or leather.

Light is relatively easy, as it is almost entirely comprised of lengthy cloaks and robes. Picking parts is all about tailoring them to my character’s specific look. I tend to prefer part combinations that create a regal, assassin-esque, or Arabic feel. Light armor has a lot more flexibility than it is given credit for. I’ve created everything from a paladin lady who is reminiscent of Fate’s Saber to a straight up Arabic mage.

I’m a huge fan of trenchcoats, cloaks, and capes. That means that I’m right at home with the medium armor selection, though I tend to prefer the cloaks that lean more towards a scout or a soldier look (such as Falconer’s or HotW) than towards the rufian theme that a lot of the game’s coats utilize.

I find heavy armor to be much more difficult to work with than the other armor classes. I HATE seeing my character’s hindquarters, so that automatically rules out 90% of the leg armor selection. I hate large shoulder armor, so that rules out a significant chunk of the game’s shoulders. Basically, I tend to stick with armors that are intricate/ornate, have a sleek design to them, and pack, at a bare minimum, a “butt cape,” if not other flowing parts as well. That’s a really small selection, and finding a right mix-and-match combination to meet it is almost an exercise in futility.

Aside from that, I also tend to stick to a rule of “subtlety.” Essentially, any complexity in my armor would come from trimming, patterning, engravings, and other such attractive decorations. I avoid particle effects like the plague. The game has enough distracting, tacky visual clutter without me glowing like a lamp post or shooting flames out of my forearms.

(edited by Duke Blackrose.4981)

Posted by: RedStar.4218

RedStar.4218

Armor that actually flatters my character’s body shape instead of giving my female characters disproportionate behinds, compressed breasts and making my male character appear unfit and wearing trousers way too high.

And something where I can actually see the choices I’ve made when creating my charr, norn or sylvari.

Posted by: Duke Blackrose.4981

Duke Blackrose.4981

For male character something Arah-like for female character something like this

I’ve got you covered. I also wanted to recreate something like Saber for a female Mesmer.

http://i595.photobucket.com/albums/tt39/Chris_Lionheart/gw112_zps2095c8f8.jpg
http://i595.photobucket.com/albums/tt39/Chris_Lionheart/gw111_zpsa64f84c5.jpg

(edited by Duke Blackrose.4981)