What not to do with your Legendary

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: NegativKarma.8094

NegativKarma.8094

For Science!!

nah, kitten science…this is all about the horrendous mistake I just made so that you can learn from it and hopefully avoid the same mistakes.

I just finished my Sunrise 2 days ago after several months of grinding mats, salvaging ectos, farming karma, etc, etc, etc….and I equipped it on my mesmer. Everything sounds great so far right?

Wrong. See, I really wanted the Sunrise on my Guardian main. I put it on the mesmer thinking the weapon would make me want to play it more. Big mistake. So I set off to fix this and get my beloved Legendary GS over onto my Guard. I could simply transmute it to a white, but with so many bugs with that system I was simply not willing to risk it. So I did something even worse.

I put my Sunrise into the bank, and deleted my full exotic level 80 mesmer.

Yep, I did it, thinking if the character no longer exists surely the weapon couldn’t be soulbound to her anymore. Wrong again. Oh so very wrong indeed.

And now my beloved Sunrise, my oh so many hours of work, is sitting in the bank…unable to be pulled out by any of my characters, unable to be transmuted, unable to be….anything. It just sits there, waiting for its owner that will never come back for it like a lost puppy. What a sad,sad puppy it is.

TLDR: Please just transmute your weapons or armor, and NEVER delete a character.

Learn from my kittenness….I will be for quite a long time to come as I stare at the last slot in my last bank tab.

Posted by: Kareth.6572

Kareth.6572

For the lulz:D you’re the boss bro ^^

Posted by: Deroy.2457

Deroy.2457

I don’t even know how you could come up with the idea that deleting a character would suddenly make all their soulbound items suddenly not-soulbound.

Posted by: Khezekiah Bellamy.5016

Khezekiah Bellamy.5016

this is a very story, it makes me hurt in my kitten insides

Posted by: Sepreh.5924

Sepreh.5924

What would happen if you made a new guard with the exact name of your deleted mesmer?

Legendary Sepreh, Necromancer
[SYN] Synyster Legion | Dragonbrand Server
Youtube Necromancer

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

That just totally sucks. I don’t even know what to say. Gah!

Posted by: Valento.9852

Valento.9852

That is so sad.

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

If this is indeed a true story why oh why ho why did you not test this first with another char with some other soulbound item? O.O This is such a mindbending story…..

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Posted by: ToT.7018

ToT.7018

i’m simply stunned

guess all you can hope for is legendaries get changed to account only sometime in the future

Posted by: Zamloff.3291

Zamloff.3291

I don’t even know how you could come up with the idea that deleting a character would suddenly make all their soulbound items suddenly not-soulbound.

Killing the character would also destroy the soul? thus no more soulbound?

NegativKarma.8094

If this is indeed a true story why oh why ho why did you not test this first with another char with some other soulbound item? O.O This is such a mindbending story…..

Unfortunately it is quite true. I even tried creating the same race,gender,prof,name just to be able to transmute it, with no luck.

And the thing is this process did used to work with soulbound items as long as they were soulbound on equip rather than soulbound on acquire. It’s not like I just guessed what would happen. I guess this wasn’t intended and got changed though. Sadness.

Either way, unless some miracle happens the damage is done.

Posted by: Deroy.2457

Deroy.2457

But the concept behind the soul is immortality?
Can’t destroy anything immortal, no?

Paulytnz.7619

:(

I guess the best we all can hope for is that sometime in the future Anet brings in a new item to the gem store that lets us un-soulbind items. Heck I would imagine you would pay a few bucks for that right now.

NegativKarma.8094

I could see the potentially disastrous effects fully unbinding gear would have on the economy. I would be ecstatic simply to be able to transmute items on any character, regardless if its bound to another one of your characters. They are, after all, your characters.

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

I believe Arenanet said that they planned on making legendaries account bound? So don’t go nuts and delete you account or right-click destroy. You may very well be able to equip it sometime in the future.

That being said, you really should have tested with other weapons.

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

Posted by: moirweyn.9872

moirweyn.9872

:(

I guess the best we all can hope for is that sometime in the future Anet brings in a new item to the gem store that lets us un-soulbind items. Heck I would imagine you would pay a few bucks for that right now.

That would be a terrible idea. We can’t always protect people from stupid actions, eventually they just have to deal with it.

“There are two types of people in the world…and I don’t like them.”

Paulytnz.7619

I don’t think it’s a terrible idea at all. For one it would not be about “protecting” people at all. It would:

1 – Give us more options for equipping our characters with various skins earned on alts/mains.

2 – Earn more money for Anet to bring us nice new updates for a hopefully a long while to come.

Please expand on why you think it would be “terrible”.

PS I never said remove “soulbound” and make fully tradeable at all. I would be happy for the result being changing from “soulbound” to “account bound”.

(edited by Paulytnz.7619)

Posted by: Kaiyanwan.8521

Kaiyanwan.8521

Just ask to get your char restored. If ANet knows any mercy, they will do it for the lols.

Posted by: Crossaber.8934

Crossaber.8934

This is a viable way to get an soulbound (kama vendor) skin in Sept / Oct….

The item will stated soulbound but every character is able to use or transmute it.

But hey, they stealth changed this method… this is sad anyway.

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

Yep, I did it, thinking if the character no longer exists surely the weapon couldn’t be soulbound to her anymore. Wrong again. Oh so very wrong indeed.

Very strange how someone can get a sunrise within five minutes of playing, because anyone with more than 20 minutes /played should know how the soulbound system works. With your luck you can get another Sunrise by the time your first character is lvl 80 …

Really … what did you expect to happen to the Sunrise …

There’s a dutch saying that goes along the lines of “Good thing stupidity isn’t contagious”.

File a ticket. If you’re lucky a.net cleans up your mess.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Posted by: MrKnieves.4162

MrKnieves.4162

This was an overly stupid thing to do, but, can’t you use your “free” account restore?

Zheenn [Warrior] [Commander]| Alondra Del Mar [Thief] | Lorean Alisk [Elemental]
Rough Trade [RTGC]
Crystal Desert

Paulytnz.7619

Very strange how someone can get a sunrise within five minutes of playing, because anyone with more than 20 minutes /played should know how the soulbound system works. With your luck you can get another Sunrise by the time your first character is lvl 80 …

There’s a dutch saying that goes along the lines of “Good thing stupidity isn’t contagious”.

To me it sounds like a few people had found a way to exploit the soulbound system and making it possible to make items available to other chars without the need for the best transmute stones. Also sounds to me like Anet fixed the exploit thus where we are at now with the coments from 2 people who knew of it.

Also it makes sense Anet wouldn’t need to announce the fix to the exploit if only a handful of people knew about it. So I wouldn’t call this a stealth update or whatever at all.

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

To me it sounds like a few people had found a way to exploit the soulbound system and making it possible to make items available to other chars without the need for the best transmute stones. Also sounds to me like Anet fixed the exploit thus where we are at now with the coments from 2 people who knew of it.

Also it makes sense Anet wouldn’t need to announce the fix to the exploit if only a handful of people knew about it. So I wouldn’t call this a stealth update or whatever at all.

No. Nothing was changed since the soulbound functionality works 100% the same in virtually any other MMO. Your comment is mere tinfoil cap speculation.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

I’ve done this too but thankfully it wasn’t with anything so expensive…

Posted by: Vorch.2985

Vorch.2985

couldn’t you have done the experiment with a soulbound item on a newly created character?

Here’s what people thought of GW1 when it first came out: http://tinyurl.com/bntcvyc
“A release is 7 days or less away or has just happened within the last 7 days…
These are the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria.”

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

I though deleted characters were held in escrow/limbo like 48 hours or so…?
Its there as a precaution aainst hacked account vandalism.

Maybe I’m thinking of a different MMO.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Posted by: ArcTheFallen.7682

ArcTheFallen.7682

couldn’t you have done the experiment with a soulbound item on a newly created character?

I think the OP was trying to explain to commenters that this was already a proven ‘trick’ that could be done to remove the soulbound status. I read up on it on reddit or something months ago and actually had a friend that did it. I think the OP just assumed it still worked which lead to bad results due to a stealth nerf on the trick.

[VZ] Sky Avalon – Guardian (Main)
Master of all Professions
sPvP Rank Dragon – 8 Champ Titles – Ruby Division

Posted by: ophidic.1279

ophidic.1279

Sound reasoning.

Elyl Jrend

Posted by: ophidic.1279

ophidic.1279

For Science!!

nah, kitten science…this is all about the horrendous mistake I just made so that you can learn from it and hopefully avoid the same mistakes.

I just finished my Sunrise 2 days ago after several months of grinding mats, salvaging ectos, farming karma, etc, etc, etc….and I equipped it on my mesmer. Everything sounds great so far right?

Wrong. See, I really wanted the Sunrise on my Guardian main. I put it on the mesmer thinking the weapon would make me want to play it more. Big mistake. So I set off to fix this and get my beloved Legendary GS over onto my Guard. I could simply transmute it to a white, but with so many bugs with that system I was simply not willing to risk it. So I did something even worse.

I put my Sunrise into the bank, and deleted my full exotic level 80 mesmer.

And now my beloved Sunrise, my oh so many hours of work, is sitting in the bank…unable to be pulled out by any of my characters, unable to be transmuted, unable to be….anything. It just sits there, waiting for its owner that will never come back for it like a lost puppy. What a sad,sad puppy it is.

TLDR: Please just transmute your weapons or armor, and NEVER delete a character.

Learn from my kittenness….I will be for quite a long time to come as I stare at the last slot in my last bank tab.

Well this certainly puts my little rage outbursts in perspective.

Elyl Jrend

Posted by: Errant Venture.9371

Errant Venture.9371

Submit a ticket and request a rollback. Don’t be an idiot in the future.

The Battle Bakery [vPie]

NegativKarma.8094

I wasn’t intending on using any “tricks”, “exploits”, etc. All I wanted was a way to get the sword to another character without the unintended consequences that transmuting legendaries currently has/may have. I picked the wrong method.

I am fully aware it was a stupid thing to try, hindsight is 20/20, and all that yada yada yada. This was not intended as a sob story by any means, but merely a story of ignorance and temporary insanity for others to either enjoy, emphathize, or learn from.

I have petitioned A-net to see if the once in a lifetime rollback per account can be applied here, although I do not have high hopes since that is intended for accounts that have been compromised. Other than that it is just a waiting game to see if they become account bound at some point in the far far future.

Thanks for your mostly mature responses.

Posted by: EasymodeX.4062

EasymodeX.4062

Rofl.

There’s really not much else to say.

If you can’t read English, please do not reply to my post.

Posted by: Sereloth.4378

Sereloth.4378

It’s bad enough you lost your legendary, but also having it sit there on your bank gathering dust? Ouch.

Hopefully Anet can restore your Mesmer.

Good luck!

Posted by: Iris.5918

Iris.5918

What would happen if you made a new guard with the exact name of your deleted mesmer?

I don’t think it would work. The Characters are most likely attributed an unique id number at creation like it was the case on GW1, and thus you can never recreate the exact same character according to the server.

Posted by: Nova Stiker.8396

Nova Stiker.8396

Didn’t ArenaNet state they’ll make Legendaries Account Bound?

Posted by: Fen.6284

Fen.6284

That’s really sad..I do hope something works out for you!

Zess Lucis – Mesmer
Let’s do the time warp, AGAIN!

Posted by: Oglaf.1074

Oglaf.1074

Thank you, original poster.

I haven’t laughed so well in days.

I can do thirty Five-Dolyak Arm Curls.

Do you even lift, bro?

Posted by: PlagueParade.7942

PlagueParade.7942

I don’t think it’s a terrible idea at all. For one it would not be about “protecting” people at all. It would:

1 – Give us more options for equipping our characters with various skins earned on alts/mains.

2 – Earn more money for Anet to bring us nice new updates for a hopefully a long while to come.

Please expand on why you think it would be “terrible”.

PS I never said remove “soulbound” and make fully tradeable at all. I would be happy for the result being changing from “soulbound” to “account bound”.

I can tell you why. Because it is still soulbound to that deleted character. For that little item to work you’d have to have it on the character it’s soulbound to to unbind it.

Best option is that they make legendary weps account bound that would fix his problem and would allow others that, for the most part, spent considerable amounts of time making their legendary, enjoy the weapon to the fullest on their other characters.

Posted by: Morfedel.4165

Morfedel.4165

from what I understand, they are working on a plan to make legendary weapons account bound instead.

as such, a little patience and a few months, and you should be able to use it again

Posted by: Saint.4952

Saint.4952

That hurt to read.

Posted by: foofad.5162

foofad.5162

Hey, this may be a shot in the dark but you MAY be able to ask Support to roll back your account pre-deletion. They do that for when people get hacked, giving you one “freebie” chance to get your stuff back. Maybe you can ask them to use up that rollback on your own mistake instead?

Eilir Eirasdottir, Guardian, Tarnished Coast
Painbow.6059: Ignore what anyone else who doesn’t agree with me has said because its wrong.

Posted by: Torres.2890

Torres.2890

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah
ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah
ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah.

Edit: Hah.

Baruch Bay.

(edited by Torres.2890)

Posted by: Anakita Snakecharm.4360

Anakita Snakecharm.4360

I really wish ANet would start making a lot more things account bound rather than soulbound.

If you could pass on gear to an alt when your main was finished with it, it would be a lot harder for anything to become completely obsolete. The work and the gold and/or karma you put into exotics wouldn’t be completely wasted when you upgraded to ascended, for example.

If it was account bound, you still couldn’t sell it after it had been used – but you would be able to get more use out of it.

Posted by: russia.9057

russia.9057

WHY GOD WHY!?!?!

Soviet
www.twitch.tv/sovietgw2

Posted by: Gisei.5749

Gisei.5749

Wow.

That about sums up it up.

~Sorrow’s Furnace~
Guardian

Posted by: Aoshi.4785

Aoshi.4785

Words. Can. Not. Express…

Posted by: Pustulio.8207

Pustulio.8207

Well, it’s for the best. It is “Sunrise” after all. The unwanted child, that came about, when a sword hilt, and a window, tag-teamed a picture :/

Posted by: Miele.6537

Miele.6537

You deleted a mesmer, you deserve pain and suffering. Anyway good luck on getting it somehow restored.

Posted by: X The Manimal.5293

X The Manimal.5293

We all make mistakes….

But DAYUM!!! So sorry! =(

Posted by: WakkaJabba.3910

WakkaJabba.3910

lol why not contact the support and ask them nicely

in the mean time…