What’re THE 5 things you love most about GW2?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Jaed.9823

Jaed.9823

It’s a simple question really. I find most people like to complain over the flaws of the game, but I’d like to focus on things the game does right; the ones I and others enjoy the most.

1. The Wallet – I love rolling new characters, having not only my gold, but all the other currencies at my fingertips without going to a bank/etc is quite amazing. I wish EVERY MMO did this.
2. Diverse PvE experience – There’s just so much you can do PvE-wise, and in chasing down creating a legendary weapon, you essentially have to experience 90-95% of what the game has to offer.
3. The fact that there’s not just one dedicated PvP experience, but two. They both cater to different crowds and for different reasons, and though they may not perfect, they’re really amazing in my opinion.
4. The leveling process – Though it’s not as good as it was before, you can still get to a really high level with crafting alone. Overall, there are just so many methods to leveling that it’s quite amazing.. more ways than I’ve seen in any other MMO.
5. The Endgame – Many complain about the “grind” that you need to do in order to get ascendeds. In my opinion it simply comes down to a ton of effort, not grind (really, you complain about GRIND in GW2? It’s almost baffling). Besides Ascendedry, I love the endgame experience of the game and how there’s so much for you to do even if none of it includes PvE.

Posted by: Draco.2806

Draco.2806

I like the lack of subscription fee. Both from the perspective of not eating away at my money, and for alleviating the pressure it puts on you. Play whenever you want… That’s good.

Posted by: Pariah.8506

Pariah.8506

1. B2P
  2. Art Design
  3. Animations (the way your character turns his head to looks at a selected friend / foe and adjusts his posture to the environment)
  4. Jumping Puzzles, not all are great but having this in an MMO is a very innovative thing and some are real gems inventiveness-wise
  5. Random NPC dialogue; it’s witty, in character and very well written. A medal to the guys that wrote these often unjustly ignored lines.

Posted by: SandraSolace.7682

SandraSolace.7682

I like just being able to do whatever I want.

It really is that simple for me.

Posted by: Naus the Gobbo.5172

Naus the Gobbo.5172

MMO forums are always a pool of tears.
But here are mine:

1. Content+reward scaling – simply the best feature any MMO can offer.
All content is relavent. I can be level 70 and go to a level 5 area, level up and actually have a decent chance of getting loot appropriate to my level.
I cannot express how much I hated it in WoW when there was a zone I wanted to go and experience, but had absolutely no reason to do so because once you outlevel a zone there is no reason to go back.
To put this into perspective, there are currently about 11 starting zones in WoW, but once you outlevel one of them you will never go to any other of them. That’s a kittenton of time, money and resources spent on content you will never experience, unless you level up an alt.

2. Structured PvP – exactly how PvP should be done. Everyone is max level, has all abilities unlocked and has best-in-slot gear immidiately. And throw in a sense of progression via ranks, skins and finishers and you’ve got an unlimited amount of fun.

3. Freedom – being able to do whatever I want in order to progress my character is phenomenal. I can level up by questing, exploring, crafting and PvP’ing.

4. Attention to detail – the art/enviromental team in GWII is ridiculously talented.
They put details into EVERYTHING. Just to give a few examples: your character’s pose changes depending on the enviroment. When you run through grass it moves according to your character. Leaves on trees move as if there is wind. Sounds change depending on everything – if you walk through shallow water it will sound like shallow water,

5. Character creation – the character creation is mind blowing.
So many body types, sliders for everything, so many skin colours, tattos, fur patterns etc.
You can actually use most faces and make at least two completely different characters if you customize it right.
I am a bit put off of Wildstar because the character creation lacks.
No body types, no height slider, hardly any skin colours and no lenght sliders for stuff like ears, horns etc.
Obviously it isn’t even in open beta yet, but it seems like there won’t be any of this.

ArenaNet would make good money if they made a race change kit. Heck, if I told you how many times I race changed in WoW you would call me crazy.

What we do in life echoes in eternity
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6zkT2uZAGA – GW2 – A world of wonder

Posted by: Chewablesleeptablet.3185

Chewablesleeptablet.3185

1. B2P . It is how every game should be no matter the genre.

2. Easy leveling and downscaling. If I am level 79 and wan’t to get my last level in Caledon Forest, no problem! It wont take more than 2 hours.

3. Gameplay and UI. The combat is like water. There aren’t tons of skill boxes cluttering up my screen, or quest trackers telling me to do this or that.

4. NPC humor. If you stick around in certain outposts or camps out in the PvE world you will witness some funny conversations. The majority of players do not get to experience this because they are in Queensdale all day and it is very sad.

5. No mandatory grind. Exotics are easy to get and once you get your exotic you are completely comfortable tackling anything PvE can throw at you. I have not ever grinded in this game and have 12k AP and 8 lvl 80s all with exotics.

Those who grind are not enjoying the game and are literally shortening the game’s lifetime for them.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

1. My guild … by far the best group of people I’ve ever gamed with. Hell, they tolerate me. lol

2. Getting lost … a lot of times I start doing something and something comes along to distract me and then I’m doing something else and I spot this jumping puzzle. I can get completely lost playing this game. You do have to stop worrying about rewards first to do this though.

3. The races – I really like all the races…and I love that there are no elves and dwarves. That alone was worth the price of admission to me. But all the races are fun and quirky in different ways, except humans of course.

4. The beauty of the world. OMFG, Tyria is beautiful. The art direction in the game (combined with the ambient sound) is just great to explore, or just enjoy.

5. The combat. I find it fun and engaging. In other games, I have to have a rotation. I’m not reacting, mostly, I’m just doing everything by rote. In Rift I had just about everything macroed to two keys. Here, I’m far more involved in the combat.

Posted by: Meglobob.8620

Meglobob.8620

Mine (in no particular order):-

1) Dynamic events (especially chains/events that are clumped together)
2) Scaling, upleveling/downleveling.
3) Graphics/artwork. The painted/canvas style is especially great.
4) WvW, just awesome!
5) B2P, no subscription.

Posted by: roachsrealm.9284

roachsrealm.9284

nice topic!

1. I don’t have to spend money or half my life playing to compete.
2. The trading post. No more spamming and hoping for the best. What a relief.
3. In-Game community. Players help each other a lot. It’s great to team up on events with total strangers and feel a sense of teamwork and camaraderie. Makes me feel like I’m a part of something.
4. Account Wallet. Why doesn’t every game have this?
5. Dungeons. Excellent challenges to do with my friends. This is the very definition of online gameplay, and it’s awesome.

Smitten Mittens (The Gothic Embrace [Goth], Fort Aspenwood)

Posted by: Jaed.9823

Jaed.9823

I really see eye to eye with a lot of the lists, haha, especially the ones that pertain to the art direction of the game; it really is absolutely stunning.

Posted by: Ronah.2869

Ronah.2869

1 no loot/kill/resource steal mechanic
2 scaling down system
3 art and design (all categories: characters, environment, ui, etc)
4 the personal storyline
5 no quest log

Posted by: Zero Day.2594

Zero Day.2594

1. B2P
2. Beautiful art
3. Sending mats to stash/bag organization.
4. “Modern” graphics, but I guess that relates to art.
5. Concept of WvW, concept, the implementation can be improved…

Thief Nerf/Change Wish List. Advice List
Join the TEEFs!

(edited by Zero Day.2594)

Posted by: Kimyrielle.3826

Kimyrielle.3826

1. Beautiful art and music
2. Non-competitive open world (no loot-stealing, kill-stealing, material node stealing etc.)
3. Dynamic events instead of linear questing
4. B2P business model
5. Multiple paths lead to same reward instead of dumping everything decent into frustrating raid instances.

Tarnished Coast

Posted by: IVIUIEI.9631

IVIUIEI.9631

I like how much detail this game has one good example is your clothing bounces when u jump just like in real life.

vvuevv

Posted by: redkat.1892

redkat.1892

The only thing making it hard to go back to WoW:

1. Dodge rolls @ @

2-5. All the already mentioned on above threads and agree

*dec 10 they nerfing the dodges, say wa?

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

1. Character costumisation. A lot of possible builds, and every skill is actually uniquely useful for something. Its even better on the cosmetics side with a lot of unique-looking skins to choose from to make your character stand out in the crowd. Needs more skills to choose from though.

2. Dungeons. Well-structured, and a wonderful break from the usual kill trash, kill boss setup of traditional MMOs. The graveling massacre using traps in AC2 is brilliant.

3. Tyria. I don’t think I need to say anything more other than I can hang my screenshots on a wall and call them masterpieces.

4. The little details. From how the grass parts when you walk over it, how your cloak whirls as you run, to the chitchat of NPCs around towns and the easter eggs thrown around the game. It makes the world so much more interesting and alive. The Iron Forgeman’s Terminator 2 reference as he dies is my highlight.

5. No. Trinity. I don’t care even if they just leave everything to be a massive DPS fest, but thank goodness this abomination does rear its ugly head in this game. As much as I love waiting in a queue as a DD for hours on end then getting trashtalked at by the all-so-mighty healers and tanks, no thank you.

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

1. It is visually gorgeous.
2. Level scaling.
3. Dyes!
4. Achievement points give rewards
5. No sub, no trinity. (It’s a tie.)

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

Posted by: Dee Jay.2460

Dee Jay.2460

1. Animations
2. Art Design
3. Buy to Play
4. WvW concept (despite many issues like small maps and shallow game-play)
5. Dynamic Events (much better than standard quests, despite many issues).

Posted by: Pariah.8506

Pariah.8506

2. Getting lost … a lot of times I start doing something and something comes along to distract me and then I’m doing something else and I spot this jumping puzzle. I can get completely lost playing this game. You do have to stop worrying about rewards first to do this though.

I can very much relate to this.
Once me and some friends were doing CoF story and got thrown off the bridges, we got separated into 2 groups and had to find our way back due to constantly being in combat. That was a great experience, reminded me of why I played RuneScape as a kid; the sense of exploring and adventure.

Too bad all events hold your hands and constantly shove you in the face with what has to be done and how.

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

1. Art and graphics
2. Personal story
3. The mesmer class
4. Wvw
5. Dynamic events in open world(the ones launched with the game)

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

1. B2P
  2. Not being rooted by skill use in combat
  3. Underwater combat
  4. The game’s graphics/look
  5. Finding Easter eggs (out-of-the-way areas with interesting things — true exploration rather than the use-map-to-locate-points-to-unlock of map completion)

Posted by: Bron.9647

Bron.9647

1. Guilds
2. Buy to Play
3. Jumping Puzzles
4. World Exploration
5. Attention to Detail

PS – I really wish I could add more. Absolutely awesome game!

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

1. Shared harvest nodes. I love not having to HATE my fellow player and race for nodes.
2. No WTb/WTS spam in chat. Not being able to trade confused me at first, but now I know it’s awesome.
3. Buy to Play.
4. Down leveling. I like that the number of places to do something on-level expands instead of just slides around.
5. Shared achievements. I’d like to see more alt-friendliness, but this is an amazing start over most MMOs.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

(edited by Nike.2631)

Posted by: Shockwave.1230

Shockwave.1230

1. B2P
2. No waiting to play
3. Fast traveling
4. Action combat
5. Graphics

Sylvari Elementalist – Mystree Duskbloom (Lv 80)
Norn Guardian – Aurora Lustyr (Lv 80)
Mia A Shadows Glow – Human Thief (Lv 80)

Posted by: Valanga.5942

Valanga.5942

1 – Once you bought the game, you can play every time you want, means you can always come back in a far far future and see if the game got better.
2- I don’t know… Asuras are kinda fun?
3- The world is small but really nice to see.
4- Some armor and weapon skins are decent.
5- The devs… Everytime they post something, it reminds me why i left the game.

Posted by: Maethril.9586

Maethril.9586

1. World, it’s kinda nice looking with fun details (some npc chats for example), though didn’t really find Orr enjoyable, especially Malchor’s Leap.

2. Mobile combat. Able to move while using skills & dodge.

3. Wallet & Bank in overall.

4. Idea of WvW, just idea of it.

5. There isn’t fifth, at least couldn’t think any.

Lvl 80 Warrior – Ranger – Thief – Elementalist – Mesmer – Guardian.
Switched Anet to Square E and haven’t regretted it even once.

Posted by: Bawi.9541

Bawi.9541

1. Getting lost, as mentioned above. Exploring the world with your first char is amazing. You just wanna get that waypoint and then call it a day. The next thing you know is you’re following that small river upstream only to find yourself in a beautiful cave that turns out to be a jumping puzzle. The attention to detail is incredible.
  2. The approach to gaming; play for fun, and not for the loot. No grind. (well… the idea was good until it was sacrificed to the farmbot overlords…)
  3. Epidemic (Necromancer skill). So much fun!
  4. B2P

Can’t find a fifth one, so I will just leave it at that.

Ele / Guardian

Posted by: Turtle Dragon.9241

Turtle Dragon.9241

As a GW1 player, i can say the following:

1. Jump
2. Dodge roll
3. Gold > Gems
If you play enough, you can afford anything that’s on the gemstore, meaning you dont have to spend anything.
4. Character Creation
Just choose a new character slot and you may still get lost in creation for hours.
5. AoE Loot
This is really great, no more need to “run to each item/corpse and pick up”. Although an auto-pickup system(loot gets into your inventory directly the moment something dies) would be better than AoE Looting.

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

1. Getting lost, as mentioned above. Exploring the world with your first char is amazing. You just wanna get that waypoint and then call it a day. The next thing you know is you’re following that small river upstream only to find yourself in a beautiful cave that turns out to be a jumping puzzle. The attention to detail is incredible.
  2. The approach to gaming; play for fun, and not for the loot. No grind. (well… the idea was good until it was sacrificed to the farmbot overlords…)
  3. Epidemic (Necromancer skill). So much fun!
  4. B2P

Can’t find a fifth one, so I will just leave it at that.

Regarding epidemic: I agree, I only wish that when playing in groups that the mobs aren’t near death before you can get full stackaroos on the target and then epidemic it out…

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

Posted by: Sarabande.8260

Sarabande.8260

SPvP

Lore

Combat

The Art

Anet’s strong moderation of in-game activity (e.g. verbal abuse)

^The last point is the most important one to me, and I tip my hat to Anet for that. No one should have to “grow a thicker skin,” as they love to say, to play a friggin’ video game. A game world should be a place where you can shed it. A thousand thumbs up to Anet with respect to in-game moderation and having a low tolerance for e-bullies.

(edited by Sarabande.8260)

Posted by: Zimlobo.3962

Zimlobo.3962

1. <caps>JUMPING PUZZLES!!!</caps>
  2. Exploring. Just running around looking at things.
  3. Combat. I love the mechanics of dodging rather than standing flat footed smashing through attack rotations.
  4. Living story and special events.
  5. Crafting. I especially like crafting holiday items.
<edit>#51/2 Music and sound. I forgot the music and audio!</edit>

(edited by Zimlobo.3962)

Posted by: LadyRhonwyn.2501

LadyRhonwyn.2501

1. I have to go with those that say “Buy to Play”. At least I won’t feel bad if I don’t play for a day, because I want to play another game. (I know it’s irrational, but who says I’m rational?)

2. I just love the freedom of the game. You are not “forced” to do anything. Everything you do, is because you want to do it (I’m not one of those that “must” have things the day they come out).

3. The animations are awesome! Especially when you’re on a Charr or Asuran.

4. Even better than the animations are the views. I still remember the very first day I set foot in Timberline. I was just blown away. I want to make a house there….

5. And lastly, I love the fact that the developers try to push the game engine to its limits. Take jumping puzzles (which I’m not all overly fond of, but still) and best of all, SAB.

Could it be better? Absolutely. Nothing is perfect.
Did they make some stupid decisions? Absolutely. But we can always hope they’ll remedy those in the future…

Posted by: Terok.7315

Terok.7315

• WvW.
  • Cast while running.
  • No trinity.
  • No gear grind (sort of).
  • Lack of raiding.
Vile Necromancer||Defender of the Beastgate||Slayer of Moa’s

Posted by: ShinjoNaomi.1896

ShinjoNaomi.1896

Can I just +1 this entire thread?
Please?

“If half as many people were half as brave in real life as they were online…
… The human race would never have to worry about be oppressed again.”
I think trolls should have their computers smashed. ’Its all part of the game. U mad bro?’

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

• Stunning artwork
  • Intuitive, jump in and play right away format – nonlinear
  • Combat – mobility, can cast while running, the animations are gorgeous
  • Can use ingame gold to buy things from the cash shop including character services like name changes and transfers
  • All the depth and complexity of an MMO without a sub fee with a frequency of updates that can only be described as amazing

I have to add one more:

• The community – this is hands down the best community I’ve ever had the pleasure of playing with. I’m so glad ANet took a “no tolerance” stance against internet bullies and verbal abusers. The core design of the game promotes teamwork, it’s really quite brilliant.

Posted by: Smith.1826

Smith.1826

-the animations
-the setting
-combat
-present day Ascalon
-my characters!

Guhracie.3419

Oh, yes! Gathering nodes being personal has to be on my list of things. And the lack of personal tagging, to encourage teamwork in the open world! So many good qualities, here.

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien

Posted by: Crysto.7089

Crysto.7089

1. Jumping Puzzles
Pure awesome. Super Adventure Box/Tribulation mode is the best GW2 gets.

2. World Polish
Practically every NPC has something to say (voice over) and while it has taken awhile to get there, most of the open world is a pleasure to explore/experience.

3. Fluidity of Combat/Movement
Fighting looks and feels good in GW2. The animations differ for some (all?) of the races and make the whole thing feel very smooth. Dodging looks and feels good too. I wish it was a little more positioning based rather than just a “become invincible” key, but given the genre of game I think it works pretty well. I will never be able to get used to being locked in place to trade blows again. Also, moving around the world on most classes feels good.

4. Dungeons
Dungeons are all pretty good the first time through story mode and the explorable mode is the same. They get repetitive after awhile but so does anything. I like the idea of instanced missions and these get closer to the feeling of missions from GW1 than the personal story ever did.

5. Bi-Monthly Updates
Now hold on before you shoot me. I dislike time sensitive content and the plot of the story itself well… lets just say its not for me. HOWEVER, it is cool to know that every two weeks SOMETHING will be updated in the game. Maybe it won’t be something I’m interested it but knowing that an update is only ever 2 weeks away keeps me holding out hope that GW2/ANET will actualize the potential found in GW2.

#1 Commander/Player NA: Promotions

Posted by: Saulius.8430

Saulius.8430

• B2P
  • freedom to start doing anything you want at once (oh well except wvw queues)
  • ability to buy everything for gold (even digital deluxe edition)
  • combat while moving
  • norn
kill all ze thingz

Guhracie.3419

Yes! Casting while moving! Dynamic combat! There’s no way to limit this list to just 5 things.

-Mike O’Brien

Posted by: Araris.7839

Araris.7839

1. Smooth combat, despite it’s other weaknesses.
2. Sylvari
3. Heart quests > quest lines
4. WvW (concept, if not execution)
5. First 20 levels of personal story

Posted by: knives.6345

knives.6345

-AoE Looting
-Fast level up (though boring)
-No grind NEEDED to compete
-Doesn’t require kitten ton of time to be competitive
-Graphics. One of the best I’ve seen for MMO

Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici

Posted by: mergi.1407

mergi.1407

1. Leveling.
2. Alts.
3. Droplets of water on your screen when you come out of the water.
4. Crafting my own stuff.
5. Risen chickens, its like being king hit by a piece of hot n spicy KFC.

Posted by: Wetpaw.3487

Wetpaw.3487

1. The art style, graphics
2. Crafting, idk why I just do for some reason, works for me.
3. Character creation
4. Combat style, except for the lack of trinity.
5. Shared mob tag, gathering.

JQ Druid

Posted by: CntrlAltDefeat.1465

CntrlAltDefeat.1465

Character creation. A lot of fun right there out of the box.
map completion. A lot of nice scenery.
Music score. Never had to mute.
No gear grind for spvp.
Customization..although I’d love to see weapon dye kits.

Posted by: Desova.5821

Desova.5821

1-5: My guildmates/in-game friends, who keep me playing and having fun long after I think I’ve done everything there is to do

A distant 6th and 7th would be WvW and the Charr race.

tasija trickshot | [LZZ] les zélateurs de zaun | arborstone

Posted by: ricky markham.8173

ricky markham.8173

1)visual stunning. the artist in this company are amazing. best feature i just love going around looking at stuff
2)trading post first game i played with one but i love this feature in a agame
3) character creation they made it better then the original with more customization but retained the original ease of use
4)npc chatter i find i stand around with my char watching npc talk. some chatter is hilarious and the attention to detail in that aspect is great.
5)wvw never been a afan of player vs players battles in games before but i think they did a pretty good job of it although i dont have a lot of experience in wvw in other game. i can play this one and enjoy it enough

Posted by: klaashacz.9714

klaashacz.9714

Thanks, yes i have contributed to that too. Interestingly many posts there too on the Ascended scam.

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

^ my point was: read the title.

Posted by: caiomacos.1694

caiomacos.1694

1. B2P
2. Art design
3. WvW
4. No holy trinity
5. Dynamic events