What's the point of 1 shared inventory slot?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

I just used my boost, and the existence of the shared slot enticed me to buy a Copper Salvage’ o’ Matic. Everybody won. Someone got gold for their gems. ANet got money for the gems from that player and I got up to 5 slots freed up on all my characters (yes, I carried that many kits on HoT maps). The freed slots got me thinking about getting infinite harvesting tools and three more shared slots, which would free as many as 11 slots on all characters.

That’s the point of shared slots. They add convenience. One slot simply serves as an enticement to get more.

(edited by IndigoSundown.5419)

Posted by: papry.8096

papry.8096

I think that Anet has a problem understanding the scale of some things. At the moment they are selling a single shared inventory slot in the gemstore for 700 gems. What am I going to do with one shared inventory slot? Moving stuff between characters is a wholesale process:

- Ascended armor pieces (6)
- Ascended trinkets (6)
- Ascended weapons on some cases (1-6)
- Gathering tools (3)
- Salvage kit (1)
- Food and oils (2)
- Siege weapons (2+)

When I’m moving stuff between characters I need to swap all of that and I need a good amount of bank space for it. That means I won’t buy your 700 gem shared inventory slot ever, but I might consider buying 700 gem shared 20 bag slot. Get it right or you keep losing business.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Permanent_Bank_Access_Contract

You are welcome.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Mine still has my 80 boost in it…. i have no use for it, but cannot remove it…

If you’re sure you won’t want to use it later you could just use it on an existing level 80 character to get the items, or simply to get it out of the slot. (And then you can always level a character with Tomes later on.)

I’m pretty sure they did this deliberately so brand new players couldn’t accidentally delete it. Which was a very common problem with both the Digital Deluxe edition items and the Heroic Chest. Newbies would create a character, collect the items from the mail, delete the character because they changed their mind and only then realise the items were gone.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: kurfu.5623

kurfu.5623

You got it so that you will be tempted to get more. I have six now and I have them for mining tools, home instance and SAB jukeboxes :P ascended armor would be (18) not (6) for me as I play with all classes but most my characters has their own armor.

Can you gather with the tools in the shared slot, or do you still have to equip them first?

You have to equip it first. So equip a normal set of tools on your character before logging off so swapping is a simple double-click. And remember to take the tools off the character before logging off, especially if there’s any chance you’ll delete that character.

Thanks for the info. That’s a deal-breaker for me.

Is it?

No account bound slots, and you want to share one set of tools among multiple chars
1) go to map that has bank access
2) run to bank
3) unequip tools
4) put tools in bank
5) character select and switch chars
6) go to map that has bank access
7) run to bank
8) take tools out of bank
9) equip tools
10) go to map of choice

Versus
1) open inventory
2) click on tools
3) character select and switch
4) open inventory
5) click on tools
6) go to map of choice or stay where you are

I find the second set much faster and more convenient.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperbole

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

You got it so that you will be tempted to get more. I have six now and I have them for mining tools, home instance and SAB jukeboxes :P ascended armor would be (18) not (6) for me as I play with all classes but most my characters has their own armor.

Can you gather with the tools in the shared slot, or do you still have to equip them first?

You have to equip it first. So equip a normal set of tools on your character before logging off so swapping is a simple double-click. And remember to take the tools off the character before logging off, especially if there’s any chance you’ll delete that character.

Thanks for the info. That’s a deal-breaker for me.

Is it?

No account bound slots, and you want to share one set of tools among multiple chars
1) go to map that has bank access
2) run to bank
3) unequip tools
4) put tools in bank
5) character select and switch chars
6) go to map that has bank access
7) run to bank
8) take tools out of bank
9) equip tools
10) go to map of choice

Versus
1) open inventory
2) click on tools
3) character select and switch
4) open inventory
5) click on tools
6) go to map of choice or stay where you are

I find the second set much faster and more convenient.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperbole

Ah. You’re saying that it was hyperbole for you. Ok. I didn’t recognize it since other people have said it was a deal breaker for them, and they mean it. Since things such as that often are difficult to see on the written page you might add /s to indicate you weren’t serious.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

The only thing that frustrates me about the shared inventory slot is that it doesn’t let me put non-bound common bind-on-equip items in it. I like using the free slot I have to hot-swap items between characters without having to go to the bank. But I was disappointed when I learned my Level 80 warrior weaponsmith/armorer couldn’t put the Rare Greatsword she crafted for my level 35 Ranger Huntsman/Leatherworker into the shared inventory slot the way said Ranger transferred the inscription… of course, I could have saved that hassle entirely just by using the crafting station bank tab, but I forgot that was even there.

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

I own 5+1 cause I can afford them. They are overpriced and it’s something that should rub everyone the wrong way as an obvious money grab.

The fact that you (and I, and many others) have purchased them means that they are not overpriced.

Server: Devona’s Rest

Posted by: Zenith.6403

Zenith.6403

If you have no intentions to purchase any shared slots, then why kitten about them? For those of us who salvage tons of stuff, they’re great. Especially if you have a salvage-o’matic tool.

I’m complaining about service that doesn’t meet my needs, because I want my needs met and in the process help this company stay in the business. I believe they’ve shot themselves in the foot by offering this service instead of useful service that would gain more revenue for them. Good for you if you only need to move salvage tool between characters.

Posted by: UnitedChaos.8364

UnitedChaos.8364

ANET please take OPs shared slot away, thanks, he doesn’t want it.

Add “United Chi” to your friends list or guild!

Posted by: Electra.7530

Electra.7530

I wish that I could purchase more shared inventory slots. I have the maximum amount I’m allowed to buy.

But, yes, I wish they would consider making an entire shared inventory bag. I would expect to pay a lot more for it than just 700 gems, of course, but I’m willing for the convenience.

And, YES, thank you very much Anet for the free shared inventory slot you gave all of us. Some don’t seem grateful, but most all of us are very grateful for that.

Posted by: Rocknull.2986

Rocknull.2986

what doctor ding said

Posted by: Bollocks.4078

Bollocks.4078

It’s obviously a better deal to buy 5 at a time than to buy 1 at a time. Some people may elect to buy them one at a time rather than wait until they have enough gems to buy 5. There’s nothing wrong with having that option available.

According to the wiki the only way to get the perm bank pass is from the BL chests or drop thousands of gold. It’s clearly not a common item so probably not many people have them. If you have one that would be a very worthwhile use for one shared inventory slot. If I had one that would be the first thing I’d put in and I’d be very tempted to buy more bank tabs. Might be time to use the BL keys I’ve been sitting on. RNG hates me so whatever the chances are of getting one, divide by 1000 and put a minus sign in front of it and that’s probably my chance of getting one.

I can think of plenty of other good uses for one slot. I have 10 characters. If I use it for a salvage kit I can free 1 slot on each character.

I still think they are overpriced. I expect they are priced high, at least partly so that people are more likely to use real money to get them rather than just convert gold to gems to get them. I might eventually get a set of 5 but only if I catch them on sale. For the current price they are more of a luxury item than a convenience item. If they were a lot cheaper I’d have the max without having spent any real money. That wouldn’t help ANET much. I have no problem with them being pricey.

It doesn’t make any sense to me why you can’t use them to transfer unbound soulbindable items.

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

what’s the point of 1 extra bank tab? or 1 extra inventory bag? see, there are 3 sorts of people: people who need no shared inventory slot, people who need a couple shared inventory slots, and people who can’t get enough shared inventory slots. If you find yourself asking what the point of only 1 is, then you clearly need more. some people are fine with 1, or even 0.

Posted by: Scoundrel.2139

Scoundrel.2139

I use it for my Permanent Bank Access

Veni, Vidi, Victa.
Quidquid Latine Dictum Sit, Altum Videtur

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I use it for my Permanent Bank Access

• Permanent Bank Access can be bought on the TP for 2700 gold (give or take). For instant buy, it’s about 3800 gold
  • 5 shared slots costs 2800 gems, which at the current 23g/100 gems = 644 gold

i.e. if someone lacks the gold to buy 5 slots, they certainly won’t be getting a permanent bank node.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Zeivu.3615

Zeivu.3615

You are paying for a legitimate advantage, unlike, the bag slots which are toon exclusive.

I stick a coin operated salvage kit in one, never have to buy another salvage kit ever again.
I stick unbreakable harvesting tools in them, never have to buy another one of each.
I stick exp boosts in them, I can use the bank space for more important items and I don’t have to portal that toon to town to withdraw them.
I stick map loot keys in them, I don’t have to log in with a specific toon to use them.

This is just scratching the surface….

Posted by: Daddicus.6128

Daddicus.6128

I found the shared slots to be hands-down the best purchase I’ve ever made in this game. I intend to buy another five on my birthday, with the gems I’m hoping I get.

I use them as a way to transfer stuff from one character to another, especially from free-range characters to my mules.

I would have paid twice what they’re charging for them (although it would have taken me longer to justify the first ones in my head).