What's the point of "instance owner" ?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Czinczar.3786

Czinczar.3786

Hello,
Why should the whole group be kicked if the opener gets out of the instance ? I don’t really understand the need for someone to be the owner/opener of an instance ? It looks like something they added in the code in the beginning which then became useless(I do a little coding and I understand this sort of program design problems). Or am I missing something and it is really useful ?

Posted by: Travis the Terrible.4739

Travis the Terrible.4739

It’s to stop people from having people open dungeons/fractals for them when they haven’t done story mode/that fractal level.

Follow the darkness into the depths, it’s more fun than the light can provide.

Posted by: PowerCat.5738

PowerCat.5738

The dungeon instance is created on the server of the person who created it.

It’s just the way the game is made.

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

What’s the point? To troll us of course….

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Posted by: bluestocking.6148

bluestocking.6148

It tells the instance who to show in the cutscene conversations.

I am destruction itself. I also bake cookies.

Czinczar.3786

everything you said doesn’t explain why everyone is kicked when the instance opener exits the instance. Let’s talk about dungeons or fractals.

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

It is simply a technical “problem” that they don’t know how to fix so they rebranded it as a “feature”. It was an oversight in the original development of the game that they don’t know how to fix.

Like the condition limit…
Or the skill lag in WvW…
Or the continually breaking dynamic events…
Or any of a dozen other things that are cited due to “technical difficulties”

Posted by: Phadde.7362

Phadde.7362

everything you said doesn’t explain why everyone is kicked when the instance opener exits the instance. Let’s talk about dungeons or fractals.

Well, if you didn’t get kicked out, people would ask others to spend a minute to open the Dungeon or Fractal Level for them and then just leave the group so that the others could find a replacement, while not worrying about having the requirements of doing the Explorable Dungeon-path or the Fractal Level in the first place.

You get kicked to preserve the integrity of the design philosophy that your group actually have to earn the rights to play at a certain Fractal Level or in an Explorable mode.

Vote for/against <dueling>: http://strawpoll.me/1650018/
Cred to Latinkuro
Gw2 is a masterpiece at it’s foundation. Content-wise however…

Posted by: Phadde.7362

Phadde.7362

It was an oversight in the original development of the game that they don’t know how to fix.

I kittening hate that…

Either balance it so that Conditions are harder to stack, but are more powerful; Making each stack a lot more effective but harder to achieve and thus Conditions remains just as powerful as they currently are (except that there’s no limitation)

Or, invest in some better server-capacity, just for the sake of Condies.

Vote for/against <dueling>: http://strawpoll.me/1650018/
Cred to Latinkuro
Gw2 is a masterpiece at it’s foundation. Content-wise however…

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

It is simply a technical “problem” that they don’t know how to fix so they rebranded it as a “feature”. It was an oversight in the original development of the game that they don’t know how to fix.

Or the skill lag in WvW…
Or the continually breaking dynamic events…
Or any of a dozen other things that are cited due to “technical difficulties”

Or the lack of a darned option to eliminate particle spam…

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

Honestly I think the mechanic is carried over from personal stories where the instance owner is actually important becuase it is THEIR personal story.
But dungeons definitely needed a different mechanic -_-

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

It’s most likely a side-effect of using the same system they use for personaly story.

Kicking the isntance owner in a personal story should definitely end the instance itself.

But such system works really bad with parties, as there’s no leaders.

It’ll be nice if they found the time to make a system that splits a instance when parties split, making sure any new players get reduced rewards based on what’s left to do in the instance, so people can’t join in a party of 5, split right before the end, and then sell the bosses repeatedly by continuously splitting.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

Well, if you didn’t get kicked out, people would ask others to spend a minute to open the Dungeon or Fractal Level for them and then just leave the group so that the others could find a replacement, while not worrying about having the requirements of doing the Explorable Dungeon-path or the Fractal Level in the first place.

You get kicked to preserve the integrity of the design philosophy that your group actually have to earn the rights to play at a certain Fractal Level or in an Explorable mode.

This. Plus, it’s the only protection from guild groups kicking you at the end of dungeons in order to bring in guildies (or sell).

Posted by: Yenn.9185

Yenn.9185

This. Plus, it’s the only protection from guild groups kicking you at the end of dungeons in order to bring in guildies (or sell).

Agree. Also given that there’s no party leadership in game, instance ownership is my only protection from brainless pugs. If I put up a requirement for my party, and someone joined that doesn’t fit that req, I leave. That’s what you get for wasting my time. :P

Posted by: MrRuin.9740

MrRuin.9740

This doesn’t make sense to me. If this was the actual case, why let people join explorable modes when they havent done story to begin with? This system isn’t preserving anything. Alot of people do explorable modes of dungeons and have never viewed a story mode. People join fractal level much higher than they have played. People outright buy cleared dungeon instances without ever having ran it at all.
Its preserving nothing of the sort, since its not limiting you.
Its an error that should never have been in the game. Instance ownership needs to pass to someone else upon the leader leaving. The rest of the party shouldn’t have to waste their time, or worry that on a whim of the lead leaving they could lose whatever they have put into the dungeon.

Czinczar.3786

yes, exactly : being kicked by dishonest players and being kicked because the “leader” leaves the instances are two different issues, issues that anet has to fix, but i have very little expectations

Posted by: rojak.1894

rojak.1894

If the owner of a dungeon instance intentionally leaves his party to kick out players and invite new players, it will now also kick that owner out of the dungeon to prevent people from kicking PUG members and inviting guild members for the final boss of a dungeon.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/info/updates/Game-Update-Notes-November-15-2012