What's the point?

What's the point?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: SandruDaniel.4386

SandruDaniel.4386

Hi. I’m a little bored of the fact the a lvl 5 flame legion shaman champ can kill a lvl 80 war in like 2 hits….What’s the points of being lvl 80,except the fact that you can play all content,if a stupid lvl 5 champ,lvl 15 champs can still kill you very easy? I don’t get the sense of getting lower leveled to 6 in a 5 zone for example,you worked all the way to 80 to get mopped on the floor by some super low lvl mobs? Is just something that I think many people want to get rid of, the capacity of some no lvl mobs for a level 80 player to get mopped in some seconds? Make these mobs less powerful….I can handle a “group event” champ like the one in snowdren drifts,the sun of svanir with his pack, and I can’t handle a lvl 5 or lvl 15 champ ? WTH? Make the effort to get to 80 in the normal way(not from crafting or other power level) worthy the effort! I would like to see a lvl 80 kicked by a 60-70 at least but not a 5 or 15. I hope this thread will be heard. I don’t want to make other 80’s(this is my second one)because I will be nothing for some mobs anyway…why to have to use long range all time and dodging on a lvl 5 or the 15 icebrood champ ? OMG. I just try to say how the things are,no whining and stuff,please do something with that downscaling or what is called.

What's the point?

Posted by: DaMunky.6302

DaMunky.6302

Tell me what’s better:
(a) Kill a lvl 5 champ in 1 hit, receive level 5 loot.
(b) Take longer to kill the champ, receive level 80 loot.

And that’s not even getting into:
(1) Low-level play would be boring and awful if high level players were constantly just facerolling all your mobs on you.
(2) Without level scaling you can’t play in any area below 70+ and have any challenge.
(3) If you have played to level 80 and are still getting stomped by low level champs, you need to learn to dodge, because you should be better at the game than that.

Dear lord, what have I done? – Matthew Medina, Gw2 Content Designer

(edited by DaMunky.6302)

What's the point?

Posted by: Funset.7893

Funset.7893

Or you can just imgine the whol world as one level 80 place, and ignore the levels and the numbers. This is what the developer’s intention was on first place.

What's the point?

Posted by: SandruDaniel.4386

SandruDaniel.4386

Tell me what’s better:
(a) Kill a lvl 5 champ in 1 hit, receive level 5 loot.
(b) Take longer to kill the champ, receive level 80 loot.

And that’s not even getting into:
(1) Low-level play would be boring and awful if high level players were constantly just facerolling all your mobs on you.
(2) Without level scaling you can’t play in any area below 70+ and have any challenge.
(3) If you have played to level 80 and are still getting stomped by low level champs, you need to learn to dodge, because you should be better at the game than that.

I don’t want to 1 hit low level mob like in any other MMO,yeah that gets boring….I agree
And why would you have to dodge to kill a lvl 5? Or to have to dodge to even survive some seconds ? Your 80,hes 5,should I run all day long like a scared cat from this mob?Where’s the point? I cant do that at 6 too,so why to bother to lvl to 80 anymore?same dodge and stuff. I don’t want to 1 hit but still I want a decent dmg to be done one me not over half hp in a hit or even 1 hit sometimes on full exotics and ascended gear.
I didn’t say that level scalling is bad,it just needs to be adjusted. So I have a little better chance to kill him without having to wonder too much about my hp. Even at 80 risens in orr is much simpler,or the giants and stuff….
Some mobs of 5,15,and over and stronger than 80 mobs in orr, funny thing is that Orr is supposed to be the hardest map,full of agro 80 risens.
Adjust the scalling,give them less attack power,make the scalling more balanced that’s why I think.

What's the point?

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

Or you can just imgine the whol world as one level 80 place, and ignore the levels and the numbers. This is what the developer’s intention was on first place.

Yes, that’s what I do.

It’s undeniable that a level 1-15 map is less lethal to my character than a level 80 map… but I’m really glad that I have all of Tyria to play in and I’m not restricted to high-level maps because the lower level ones I just steamroll through… that’s what would make me super bored.

What's the point?

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

Downscaling means your armor & life will be the same as if you really were level 5. So you need to play smart, regardless of your actual level because in Metrica you’re level 5 baby. As a downscaled 80 you get the benefit of being fully traited, having 3 utilities, an elite, and 3-attribute exotic gear to start with. Which means you are stronger than a real level 5 because you have more weapons and wider stat allocation.

Now, if I understand you right, you want to be able to face tank a champion when downleveled right? So basically, you want to be able to fight them exactly the same as a non-champion/non-veteran mob? Shouldn’t there be some sort of challenge involved in fighting a vet or champ? I think so.

Also, downscaling opens all of Tyria to you, allowing you to play everywhere without feeling bored or like the content is irrelevant. That’s a good thing imo.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

What's the point?

Posted by: Kosai.7458

Kosai.7458

this was their intention, also champions are meant to be fought with a group actually

What's the point?

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

Downscaling means your armor & life will be the same as if you really were level 5. So you need to play smart, regardless of your actual level because in Metrica you’re level 5 baby. As a downscaled 80 you get the benefit of being fully traited, having 3 utilities, an elite, and 3-attribute exotic gear to start with. Which means you are stronger than a real level 5 because you have more weapons and wider stat allocation.

These things make a very noticeable difference to me. I can immediately tell whether I’m in Southsun, Orr or Queensdale…….

What's the point?

Posted by: KingClash.3186

KingClash.3186

Hi. I’m a little bored of the fact the a lvl 5 flame legion shaman champ can kill a lvl 80 war in like 2 hits….What’s the points of being lvl 80,except the fact that you can play all content,if a stupid lvl 5 champ,lvl 15 champs can still kill you very easy? I don’t get the sense of getting lower leveled to 6 in a 5 zone for example,you worked all the way to 80 to get mopped on the floor by some super low lvl mobs? Is just something that I think many people want to get rid of, the capacity of some no lvl mobs for a level 80 player to get mopped in some seconds? Make these mobs less powerful….I can handle a “group event” champ like the one in snowdren drifts,the sun of svanir with his pack, and I can’t handle a lvl 5 or lvl 15 champ ? WTH? Make the effort to get to 80 in the normal way(not from crafting or other power level) worthy the effort! I would like to see a lvl 80 kicked by a 60-70 at least but not a 5 or 15. I hope this thread will be heard. I don’t want to make other 80’s(this is my second one)because I will be nothing for some mobs anyway…why to have to use long range all time and dodging on a lvl 5 or the 15 icebrood champ ? OMG. I just try to say how the things are,no whining and stuff,please do something with that downscaling or what is called.

I don’t know what you’re doing wrong but a lvl 5 or 15 champ has never once even downed my warrior 1v1. Your lvl 80 gear stats make it a steamroll, I just killed the Dredge Commissar (a lvl 50ish champ) solo with my war not even 30 minutes ago for my daily rare since no one else was around.

What's the point?

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

One of their better design decisions is to downscale. I hated that in WoW, having to bother with the low level mobs when they didn’t drop anything (mainly while fishing) and I’m as casual as casual gets.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

What's the point?

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

I think the problem here is them showing the combat level of said champ. They should remove it so you know it’s a bad kitten and going to be a tough fight. Having said that there are a LOT of champs out there that you can beat solo no matter how much they down scale you to. You just have to find out which ones and make sure your build can handle it.

Yesterday I went through testing all of the champs in Gendarrin Fields (I am testing all champs 1 map at a time solo) and managed to beat 11 of the 12 I tried. The Troll (I think it was) in the SW swamp area just hit too hard and the spider in the mini dungeon thing I did not try because I opened the chest so the door was closed behind me and I didn’t want to waste time going through all those traps again lol…

But yeah, make sure you have a solid build and try, try, try because there are a lot you can solo, just IGNORE the combat level above it’s head and focus on that “CHAMP” title.

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

(edited by Paulytnz.7619)

What's the point?

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I think the point is when my friends play at low levels, I can play with them, instead of having to start an alt and run them through everything. This is a freedom most MMOs don’t give you.

Also, in Rift, which had dynamic events, if you went back to an earlier area as a higher level character, you could ruin the area for lower level characters by killing everything so fast, they wouldn’t get credit for anything. There were specific events you could grief if you were a higher level character.

I think that might be part of the point too.

What's the point?

Posted by: shypht.3967

shypht.3967

I like the down-scaling in this game – it allows the entire game to feel worthwhile / challenging / rewarding regardless of level. You have the entire world to hunt/explore in – and not get limited to a small set of ‘end-game’ zones.

I’m fairly new to the game and just got my first level 80, but I enjoyed the fact while leveling, that if I’m bored in my current zone – I can pop over to a starter zone of an area I hadn’t explored yet, and still get appropriate exp / loot / etc for my level.

Helps keep the world feeling more open instead of like I’m just being funneled along a set corridor of zone progression.

Yeah, there is a bit of the ’I’m level 80, with exotics – why can this lvl 5 still kill me?!’ —- but that’s a very minor power/mental disconnect that I think the benefits far out weigh it.

Also, as a new player – it’s nice to see the lower level zones still being populated/active with all sorts of players – especially when world events start. Unlike other MMO’s that I’ve tried to get into in the last few years (but long after launch) where the starter zones were complete ghost-towns.

There are pro’s and con’s to the system – but I think the pro’s outweigh the con’s enough to be worth it.

What's the point?

Posted by: Baladir.2736

Baladir.2736

yeap. Going back and doing downscaled stuff is alot of fun. With the advantages of being 80, previously impossible stuff is now possible but very pleasantly challenging. It’s like new content. And, like has been said, being able to play with lower leveled charaters really opens up the game. Sometimes it all seems new again.

What's the point?

Posted by: Naus the Gobbo.5172

Naus the Gobbo.5172

Your level is an indicator of your experience with your profession.

As a level 80 you should be experienced enough to play in a low level area without dying.

And the downscaling system is what really seperates GWII from other MMOs.
Everything is viable content.
As a high level character in other MMOs, what is your incentive to go to a low level area? A small note that says “You’ve completed 55 quests in this area”. That’s it.

In other MMOs there is so much wasted content. If I am level 57, why I go to a level 13 zone? That’s an entire zone that won’t keep me interested. And concidering how long it can take to develop a single zone, say Snowden Drifts, don’t you think it would be better if the zone always was viable?

Guild Wars 2 launched with more viable content than World of Warcraft has ever had, and WoW has been out for almost 9 years now.
That’s a feat.

What we do in life echoes in eternity
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6zkT2uZAGA – GW2 – A world of wonder

What's the point?

Posted by: Saturn.6591

Saturn.6591

Actually, the down- and upscaling also makes a lot of sense roleplaying/immersion-wise. Let’s take a Norn as example. After character creation, you go and kill Issormir. Later in the story, when you’re at a much higher level, people still respect you for doing that, and you’re also still proud of that feat. That wouldn’t make much sense if you now could onehit Issormir (same counts for any other mobs/bosses). Why didn’t they send a higher-level person to hunt it in the first place. There are many higher level NPC’s around. Even Eir… she fought the dragons, yet she can’t easily solo Issormir.

So in my opinion, the level doesn’t directly reflect your strength, but your character’s experience. Through gaining experience (right… experience! you level up!), you can do stuff better, can wear armor and weapons of better quality and with stronger enchantments, can wield weapons more efficiently… that’s all reflected with traits that you can unlock as you level up and better equipment you get. Due to those things, you obviously would have it a bit easier if you were to fight Issormir again, but it still wouldn’t be a walk in the park. After all, he’s still a mighty beast… but now you’ve got some combat experience and better equip.

The same logic can be applied to fighting higher-lvl mobs when you’re upscaled. They become less of a hassle once your character gained more experience, better equip and learned new tricks.

What's the point?

DaMunky.6302

Yeah. it only ceases to make sense conceptually when you go to a place that’s beyond your level. “What do you mean the mole-people outside are easy to kill, but the ones in this cave 1-shot me?! That’s just confusing.”

What's the point?

Posted by: GamerToukotsu.4219

GamerToukotsu.4219

I believe what the original poster was trying to bring to light got lost in translation.

There are several champions in the world which are far harder than the actual level stated, the level 5 Fire Shaman in Plains of Ashford is one of them. There are several others that are just as strong that cannot be beaten by a level 80 in fully exotic gear/accessories.

These particular fights are labeled [GROUP], but I’ve seen hordes of level 80 and level 5+ players fight this one particular mob and constantly get downed. He has three attacks which has the potential to stack back to back and you need to use inventive ways to block them, rather than just dodging.

I personally kite it around the rock right in front of it, line of sight is a kitten.

Illusory Ally [TFD]
Illusionary Ally [TFD]
Devona’s Rest

What's the point?

DaMunky.6302

Well, if it’s a matter of “X champion is far stronger than Y champion of the same level”, that’s a balance concern that Anet may eventually decide to tweak. (Indeed, you can see such changes made in the patch notes, where specific event mobs occasionally get nerfed or buffed.) But the way he wrote his original post, it sounded like he was just fussing about how he hates the level scaling system.

What's the point?

Posted by: GamerToukotsu.4219

GamerToukotsu.4219

snip

I completely agree that is how it sounded, but the ultimate issue is with the encounter itself, not the leveling system. I was just trying to make sure that got addressed more over than the blatant crudeness of the OP.

Illusory Ally [TFD]
Illusionary Ally [TFD]
Devona’s Rest